PDA

View Full Version : Best 22 for finals

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Beveridge makes some unpredictable changes each week, definitely playing the long game, so it's pretty hard to accurately predict the weekly team. How about going a bit more long term and thinking of our 22 for when it really matters, what we are setting ourselves up for.

B: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: Murphy, Hamling, M.Boyd
C: Hunter, Macrae, Picken
HF: Grant, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, Redpath, Dickson
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Wallis
I/C: Biggs, Johannisen, Daniel
Sub: Jong

The big one is the ruck. I am a firm believer that if you don't have a top class ruckman you need to go in with a crisis/opportunity. I think Roughy/Redpath combo is going to be at least nearly as competitive as Campbell taking the lion's share. It offers us with great flexibility out of the ruck. Tom Boyd can also replace Redpath.

Another option is Tom Boyd ahead of Daniel or Jong. It means extra support for Roughy allowing him more time in as a defender however not sure he is need that much with Roberts, Hamling and Morris there. On the flip side, do Daniel/Jong offer us that much run? Is it such a massive sacrifice?

One thing doing this best 22 does highlight is how great it would be to have Koby back.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Boyd in for Redpath for me. Boyd will benefit from the big game experience and long term we do to.
Stevens if fit and if Hrovat keeps burning it up his form and confidence would be good.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Plus no injuries in the next two weeks. Please footy gods.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Beveridge makes some unpredictable changes each week, definitely playing the long game, so it's pretty hard to accurately predict the weekly team. How about going a bit more long term and thinking of our 22 for when it really matters, what we are setting ourselves up for.

The big one is the ruck. I am a firm believer that if you don't have a top class ruckman you need to go in with a crisis/opportunity. I think Roughy/Redpath combo is going to be at least nearly as competitive as Campbell taking the lion's share. It offers us with great flexibility out of the ruck. Tom Boyd can also replace Redpath.

Another option is Tom Boyd ahead of Daniel or Jong. It means extra support for Roughy allowing him more time in as a defender however not sure he is need that much with Roberts, Hamling and Morris there. On the flip side, do Daniel/Jong offer us that much run? Is it such a massive sacrifice?

One thing doing this best 22 does highlight is how great it would be to have Koby back.
I like your team with the exception of the rucking positions. I would prefer to see Roughead share the ruck duties with Campbell. Yet to be convinced that Redpath is good enough as a second string ruck man and also see him as a stop gap key forward. I would think that Hrovat might press for a spot in the finals 22.

The Doctor
25-08-2015, 08:09 PM

In: Boyd, Hrovat

Out: Redpath, Jong

If Stevens is fit he comes in for either Biggs or Hrovat

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 08:13 PM
I know finals are a new ball game but even then I don't see Beveridge as the type to risk a guy with stress fracture issues. Really the type of injury where you have to get your fitness back too. 2-3 weeks = more like 5-6 under Bevo. Maybe the granny!

Remi Moses
25-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Is Stevens right to go?

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 08:19 PM
I like your team with the exception of the rucking positions. I would prefer to see Roughead share the ruck duties with Campbell. Yet to be convinced that Redpath is good enough as a second string ruck man and also see him as a stop gap key forward. I would think that Hrovat might press for a spot in the finals 22.

The 2nd ruck these days = about 20% TOG dedication. Basically the 2nd ruck spends about 60% of the time forward/back, 20% in the ruck and the rest on the bench. Should ruck ability be the main priority?

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Think it comes down to who we are playing.

Against WCE and perhaps Norf, I'd have Roughy, Roberts and Hamling as our key defenders / Campbell and Boyd sharing ruck duties.

Against the likes of Fremantle, Adelaide and Geelong we can suffice with one less 'tall'.

1eyedog
25-08-2015, 10:31 PM
I think the Rat has the potential to offer more than Daniel and I would have him in before him.

After watching Redpath against the Eagles I'm leaning towards bringing Boyd in against North and Brisvegas and then making a determination on who minds the goal square.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 10:39 PM
I gotta say I really love Daniel's style. Just offers something in tight/a contest. So much composure for any player, let alone a first year player. Says a lot about my belief in him that I already see him as a guy I want playing in the finals.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I gotta say I really love Daniel's style. Just offers something in tight/a contest. So much composure for any player, let alone a first year player. Says a lot about my belief in him that I already see him as a guy I want playing in the finals.

He's a neat player but typically finals are crash and bash style, and that doesn't suit him. I think back to the Sydney game, which was finals-like, and Hrovat was enormous.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 10:51 PM
He's a neat player but typically finals are crash and bash style, and that doesn't suit him. I think back to the Sydney game, which was finals-like, and Hrovat was enormous.

As a sub right? Maybe that's gonna play a part. Who is best in the role. So far this year Beveridge has mainly used it as a tool for development.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Stats wise Tom Boyd vs Jack Redpath

T Boyd
14 games 16.6 goals/behinds
Avg. 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 hitouts, 4 score involvements

Redpath
9 games, 14.9 goals/behinds
Avg.9 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 hitouts, 5 score involvements

Pretty close. Jack was on the right end of a few junk time massacres which helped him.

LostDoggy
25-08-2015, 11:12 PM
I think finals suits Boyd better. Jack is more the hard lead when everything opens up whereas Boyd is more the bailout to the top of the square.

My only changes from the original team would be Boyd for Redpath and Hrovat as Sub in place of Jong (will offer more zip and run).

SonofScray
25-08-2015, 11:30 PM
I'd have Boyd in a finals squad. The long ball in, high and deep will be more frequent and he provides a better contest in that scenario than Redpath.

bornadog
25-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Can Roughead shoulder the number one ruck role in the finals when he hasn't been the number one all year?

LostDoggy
25-08-2015, 11:42 PM
He needs these next 2 weeks, but Brisbane put a patent on successfully bringing in a fresh ruckman just before the finals (Keating or Charman).

1eyedog
26-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Can Roughead shoulder the number one ruck role in the finals when he hasn't been the number one all year?

Yep but he'll need to be managed through it and Boyd will have to tighten the slack so that Roughie gets a chop out.

Mantis
26-08-2015, 07:51 AM

You would think that if Hrovat was a realistic chance to be selected in the finals he would have to come in this week.

Going to be an interesting week at the selection table.

1eyedog
26-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Bevo mentioned they'll pick best 22 this week so it will be interesting to see who plays.

Go_Dogs
26-08-2015, 08:38 AM
If Boyd comes back and we look more often to the deep kick to the spot, does that mean we favour Honeychurch in the side, given he does his best work scrapping around and applying defensive pressure in that area? None of our other smalls have really spent a lot of time playing that role this year (at least, not as well as HC did early).

Mofra
26-08-2015, 10:29 AM
If Boyd comes back and we look more often to the deep kick to the spot, does that mean we favour Honeychurch in the side, given he does his best work scrapping around and applying defensive pressure in that area? None of our other smalls have really spent a lot of time playing that role this year (at least, not as well as HC did early).
It's an interesting question - Honey was in the side when we beat the top 8 sides and his defensive pressure is elite.
Who goes out for him though?
I'm not convinced by 'second half of 2015 Jong' either. 'First half of 2015 Jong' would be handy right now.
Must say I'm more a fan of Boyd than Redpath as the bailout option as well.

SlimPickens
26-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Stats wise Tom Boyd vs Jack Redpath

T Boyd
14 games 16.6 goals/behinds
Avg. 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 hitouts, 4 score involvements

Redpath
9 games, 14.9 goals/behinds
Avg.9 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 hitouts, 5 score involvements

Pretty close. Jack was on the right end of a few junk time massacres which helped him.

Don't discount Jacks aggression come finals time. You need an enforcer.

bornadog
26-08-2015, 10:48 AM

Can we play all of Redpath TBoyd, Roughie and Campbell in the one team?

KT31
26-08-2015, 11:04 AM

I can't see us going down that road, Redpath would be the one to miss out.

SlimPickens
26-08-2015, 11:48 AM

I don't think so. To be honest I'm struggling to find a spot for Roughead at the moment.

Mofra
26-08-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't think so. To be honest I'm struggling to find a spot for Roughead at the moment.
It's a little worrying - I get the Andrejs Everitts all over again. Can play, but not sure where he plays so ends up a jack of all trades, master of none.

bornadog
26-08-2015, 12:16 PM
It's a little worrying - I get the Andrejs Everitts all over again. Can play, but not sure where he plays so ends up a jack of all trades, master of none.

I think he should be playing on any resting ruckman and then switching to the ruck when there is no match-up. So a Defender/Ruckman. I do not like Tom Boyd or Redpath in the ruck as we lose structure in the forward line.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 12:20 PM

I can't see that being our week in/week out structure, but may work against some opposition line-ups.

Amazingly, we really don't have a tall locked in. There are 3 questions yet to be resolved; who is our #1 ruckman (Campbell/Roughy), #1 KPF (Boyd/Redpath), #1 KPD (Roughy/Roberts).

1eyedog
26-08-2015, 12:23 PM

I'm happy for Jack to be the enforcer but I'm not happy for him to give up free kicks in front of goals while he is doing it. He kicked two goals against the Eagles on Sunday, one of which was a real gimme but he gave at least two away with blatant frees meaning he finished on evens or worse without contributing much else.

I'd rather someone came in and kicked us into the positive rather than have someone stay in and put us in the negative with overly aggressive stupid free kicks. It's fine to be aggressive but you have to know how to harness it. I grit my teeth when the ball is near Redpath both in the air and on the ground and think he needs to do further work in the VFL.

Jeanette54
26-08-2015, 12:23 PM
I think he should be playing on any resting ruckman and then switching to the ruck when there is no match-up. So a Defender/Ruckman. I do not like Tom Boyd or Redpath in the ruck as we lose structure in the forward line.

You only loose structure if you consider this a one or the other situation. We do have an option to play both, and use Roughy as a full back. Rest Tommy Campbell on the bench when needed and rotate Jack and Tom Boyd through ruck/forward/bench. I agree it restricts the bench time for the mids a bit, but this might be a useful ploy against North, with its plethora of talls.

Do we match them our tall talent vs their tall talent, or do we try to exploit it with extra speed; interesting question.

And as for Redpath and aggression, anyone who saw last year's VFL final would have been in no doubt about his value in this area when he gets it right.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 12:34 PM
You only loose structure if you consider this a one or the other situation. We do have an option to play both, and use Roughy as a full back.

He's not ready for it yet, but with a big pre-season, I wonder if Jack can be more of a CHF.

This will allow him to run into more open spaces and his big body can be useful up the ground. His field kicking is good, he could be a useful inside 50 delivery player.

SlimPickens
26-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Agree, Roughy needs to be an 80/20 defender/ruck.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 05:43 PM
And when Roughy goes into the ruck, Campbell goes to full back?

Greystache
26-08-2015, 05:48 PM
And when Roughy goes into the ruck, Campbell goes to full back?

I'd suggest when Campbell's not rucking he's doing a rotation on the bench.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2015, 06:22 PM
It's an interesting question - Honey was in the side when we beat the top 8 sides and his defensive pressure is elite.
Who goes out for him though?

I like Honeychurch but his year has been seriously overrated. He had 3 or 4 decent games but that's about it. He's had enough opportunity to cement a position and hasn't been able to do it. At the moment, his fitness is average and his skills need to improve before he can become a regular IMO.

Think he has a future, but he's behind a few for now.

Go_Dogs
26-08-2015, 06:51 PM
I like Honeychurch but his year has been seriously overrated. He had 3 or 4 decent games but that's about it. He's had enough opportunity to cement a position and hasn't been able to do it. At the moment, his fitness is average and his skills need to improve before he can become a regular IMO.

Think he has a future, but he's behind a few for now.

He's definitely got some work to do, but I could see him being an important role player if we play Boyd. This is because finals tend to be higher pressure matches and we may have more deep, contested entries where HC is arguably our most effective/tenacious defensive player.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 06:57 PM

Agree, Roughy needs to be an 80/20 defender/ruck.

But if Roughy is playing on resting ruckman then switching to Ruck when no match up (ie when Ruck is not resting), does this not make him Back 20% and Ruck 80%?

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2015, 07:27 PM
But if Roughy is playing on resting ruckman then switching to Ruck when no match up (ie when Ruck is not resting), does this not make him Back 20% and Ruck 80%?

Surely the way to play him is on the ruck/forward and going with him (Petrie this week) into the ruck.

kruder
26-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Anyone know what Jong is like over 2-3km at the club? I really like the idea of having extra grunt with Stevens out plus his speed away from the stoppage but he seems to be seriously struggling aerobically atm. He and Honey need to hit the track together over the preseason its holding them both back at the minute.

boydogs
26-08-2015, 08:31 PM

What about both Boyd & Redpath in the ruck with no other ruckman? We could send Talia forward when one of them is on the bench

azabob
26-08-2015, 08:45 PM
What about both Boyd & Redpath in the ruck with no other ruckman? We could send Talia forward when one of them is on the bench

Is Roughead in this team?

boydogs
26-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Is Roughead in this team?

He could be but doesn't have to be

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Some question marks over the following:

- Roughead: Where does he fit? Hasn't had a good season, is probably suited to full back/second ruck but much depends on matchups.

- Roberts: If he can find form, he's in. Likely to be included this week, but there's not much room for error.

- Talia: Lucky that Roughy and Roberts have suffered injuries. Will keep his spot IF they don't come up to scratch, but one would think he absolutely must make way.

- Jong: Struggling. With Libba, Smith and Stevens injured we really need Jong but he's giving us nothing. Perhaps he has one last chance v Norf, but I don't see him as best 22 for finals at this rate.

- Daniel: Has been pretty good for a first year player, no complaints, but does he bring enough to the side for finals? Uses it well but with limited fitness (expected for a first year player) and his style of play more suited to open play, is he behind some more senior propositions?

- Hrovat: Decision making is his biggest issue and it hasn't been improved to the extent you'd hope. Having said that, he can win his own ball, link up well and play multiple positions. Needs to play v Norf otherwise he's most unlikely to feature in finals - which would be a disappointing result for him and the club.

- Redpath: Has been serviceable since coming into the side with his aggression and OK ruck work, but has relied upon some poor opposition at times to hit the scoreboard. Attacks the ball better than Boyd, but marking is a weakness. Line ball decision.

- TBoyd: Probably deserves an opportunity late to cement a spot for the finals. Early season form was good but he tailed off unsurprisingly for a 19 yo. More predictable than Redpath - if he's fresh and confident he should play before big Jack.

Locks for Best 22:
Grant, Murphy, Wallis, Bontempelli, Boyd, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Crameri, Stringer, Wood, Macrae, Campbell, Biggs, Dickson, Hamling, Morris, JJ, Picken (18)

Four spots available for mine. I'd pick TBoyd, Roberts, Roughead and Hrovat.

* Assuming Stevens won't make it back.

boydogs
26-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Locks for Best 22: Biggs, Hamling, Campbell

None of these guys were good on the weekend and all have returning players competing for their spots (M Boyd/Picken, Roberts/Roughead, Roughead)

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2015, 11:34 PM
None of these guys were good on the weekend and all have returning players competing for their spots (M Boyd/Picken, Roberts/Roughead, Roughead)

As stated above, we can play them all.

LostDoggy
26-08-2015, 11:50 PM
So who do people see as being our back 6.

People seem to be locking in Roberts, Hamling, Roughead and Morris.

For a team that has been very fast out of defence, the run is a ???

Only leaves 2 spots for Murphy, Boyd, Wood, JJ, Biggs.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2015, 12:23 AM
So who do people see as being our back 6.

People seem to be locking in Roberts, Hamling, Roughead and Morris.

For a team that has been very fast out of defence, the run is a ???

Only leaves 2 spots for Murphy, Boyd, Wood, JJ, Biggs.

One of Roberts/Hamling/Roughy are always likely to be on the interchange - if I have to guess, I can see the MC not electing to play one of them anyway.

Murph/Boyd/JJ and to a lesser extent Biggs can play multiple positions too.

Roughy is most vulnerable for mine. Hard to fit him in, unless we play Eagles/maybe Norf.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Bevo hates talls on the bench as it screws the rotations. Can't see it happening structurally.

Roughy really is the tricky piece of the puzzle.

I can't see the Defence 80/Ruck 20 idea working at all. The MC have really liked a set team defence with consisent structure, having a KPD in and out to ruck (unless Campbell drops back while Roughy rucks) would be a huge departure and something no-one is doing.

Otherwise, also means Campbell taking up big chunks of valuable bench time. Just can't see it.

I think Roughy will straight out play KPD or will take Campbell's place or just not make it back in at all.

Anyway, all good discussion. Time will tell.

boydogs
27-08-2015, 01:08 AM
I can't see the Defence 80/Ruck 20 idea working at all

Works well when he can just follow a Tippett type around all day

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Bevo hates talls on the bench as it screws the rotations. Can't see it happening structurally.

Roughy really is the tricky piece of the puzzle.

I can't see the Defence 80/Ruck 20 idea working at all. The MC have really liked a set team defence with consisent structure, having a KPD in and out to ruck (unless Campbell drops back while Roughy rucks) would be a huge departure and something no-one is doing.

Otherwise, also means Campbell taking up big chunks of valuable bench time. Just can't see it.

I think Roughy will straight out play KPD or will take Campbell's place or just not make it back in at all.

Anyway, all good discussion. Time will tell.

Roughy was doing this regularly when we were playing Cordy.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 01:45 AM

Yep, tried it for a few rounds. By and large corresponded with our worst form of the year.

Bevo has since spoken about his preference for a Ruck/Forward combo for the above reasons.

azabob
27-08-2015, 07:42 AM

But was Morris also injured during these games?

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Yep, tried it for a few rounds. By and large corresponded with our worst form of the year.

Bevo has since spoken about his preference for a Ruck/Forward combo for the above reasons.

I actually thought that when Ayce went off and Roughie came on he gave us something. I'm trying to remember the game at home but certainly the last quarter against Sydney we strated getting first use around the stoppages.

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 10:28 AM
But was Morris also injured during these games?

Not sure aza why do you ask?

Scorlibo
27-08-2015, 10:31 AM
HB: Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Johannisen, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, Roughead, Grant
Foll: Minson, Bontempelli, Picken
I: Hunter, Biggs, Hrovat, Daniel (sub)

That's my best 22 at this point. Hrovat hasn't been great this season but at least he can win the ball and provides midfield depth, versus someone like Jongy who can make himself disappear for quarters at a time despite being given midfield time. Minson is still our best ruckman imo and has finals experience. Roughy to provide support and a contest up forward, Boyd/Redpath are competing with Hamling for a spot for mine, with Roughy to go to defence in the event that either of those guys are played forward. I'd like to see Bevo tell Caleb Daniel that he'll play him for finals in the sub role. The best sub performance by a mile this year came from him.

It's really the Minson/Campbell/Roughead/Redpath/Boyd/Hamling scenario that will be very difficult for the coaches to work through in the lead up to finals.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 11:01 AM
HB: Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Johannisen, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, Roughead, Grant
Foll: Minson, Bontempelli, Picken
I: Hunter, Biggs, Hrovat, Daniel (sub)

That's my best 22 at this point.

There is no way Minson will play as number one ruck in the finals. He has been out of favour the whole year.

Not sure why you would put Roughead as the number one FF when he hasn't played there the whole year and suddenly you have him in the best 22 for a final.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 11:05 AM
I actually thought that when Ayce went off and Roughie came on he gave us something. I'm trying to remember the game at home but certainly the last quarter against Sydney we strated getting first use around the stoppages.

He did. Roughy is useful in the Ruck, that's not the issue.

I think the last time they tried this as a proper rotation was against Melb in R8 (just about Ayce's last game from memory).

The problem is when Roughy went into the Ruck our backline was way unbalanced, wide open and Melb scored for fun. Unless the starting Ruck can go back and competently fill Roughy's role, the structure falls down (this is more likely to be so in finals type footy).

The shortcomings are exacerbated if the starting Ruck doesn't have a position to 'rest' in and simply takes up bench space, impeding the midfield rotations.

Since Ruck/Forward became option A week in, week out, our defensive cohesion and points conceded stats have been much better (last weeks aberration excepted). I just can't see us reverting back.

azabob
27-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Not sure aza why do you ask?

Without Morris playing it allowed us to have Roughead down back and keep a bit of balance. Having said that I can't recall that far back.

1eyedog
27-08-2015, 11:26 AM
He did. Roughy is useful in the Ruck, that's not the issue.

I think the last time they tried this as a proper rotation was against Melb in R8 (just about Ayce's last game from memory).

The problem is when Roughy went into the Ruck our backline was way unbalanced, wide open and Melb scored for fun. Unless the starting Ruck can go back and competently fill Roughy's role, the structure falls down (this is more likely to be so in finals type footy).

The shortcomings are exacerbated if the starting Ruck doesn't have a position to 'rest' in and simply takes up bench space, impeding the midfield rotations.

Since Ruck/Forward became option A week in, week out, our defensive cohesion and points conceded stats have been much better (last weeks aberration excepted). I just can't see us reverting back.

Sorry I'm more focusing simply on Roughie's ability to ruck and don't see a need to rotate him ruck / defence at all. But re-reading your post I agree with the ruck / forward rotation and in-line with this I'd actually prefer to see Roughie ruck and rotate with Boyd rather than to keep playing Campbell or Minson.

With Roberts and Hamling stepping up thereby freeing Roughie up we are better placed than ever to explore this option. The issue is Roughie's longevity in that role. Can Roughie ruck 75% of game time?

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Sorry I'm more focusing simply on Roughie's ability to ruck and don't see a need to rotate him ruck / defence at all. But re-reading your post I agree with the ruck / forward rotation and in-line with this I'd actually prefer to see Roughie ruck and rotate with Boyd rather than to keep playing Campbell or Minson.

With Roberts and Hamling stepping up thereby freeing Roughie up we are better placed than ever to explore this option. The issue is Roughie's longevity in that role. Can Roughie ruck 75% of game time?

Who knows?

It's all up in the air because so much depends on the AFL form of Roughy (as well as Roberts and Boyd), hopefully they play this week and we can get good look at them.

This weeks Rucks will be really interesting. Goldstein, along with NN, is the most damaging Ruckman (both tap and around the ground) going around and we've got the choice of Campbell, fresh off a Perth trip, 6 day break, corky, NicNat beating, an underdone Roughy, an out of favour Minson and part-timers Redpath/Boyd.

Wild range of alternative combos there, I think the choices will tell us a fair bit 2 weeks from finals.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2015, 12:43 AM
I think it's too hard to predict what on earth we will do next week so here's my update finals 22.
In- Roberts, Daniel, T Boyd
Out- Z.Cordy, Webb, Redpath

Daniel's spot can be very much taken by anyone!

F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson
I/C: Biggs, Johannisen, Honeychurch
Sub: Daniel

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 12:56 AM
I think it's too hard to predict what on earth we will do next week so here's my update finals 22.
In- Roberts, Daniel
Out- Z.Cordy, Webb

Daniel's spot can be very much taken by anyone!

F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson

So Boyd in for Redpath is your 3rd change?

Looks about right to me.

Maybe Daniel, Z.Cordy, Webb, Jong play in Brizzie and most impressive gets the sub (maybe it'll be Cordy if match ups look a little light on for height).

azabob
30-08-2015, 10:38 AM
I think Cordy may be a smokey. From the limited vision I have seen of him he appears very flexible and can play tall, small, midfield, back and even forward at a pinch.

I like RJ's latest team, but I'd swap Cordy for Honeychurch.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2015, 11:31 AM
So Boyd in for Redpath is your 3rd change?

Looks about right to me.

Maybe Daniel, Z.Cordy, Webb, Jong play in Brizzie and most impressive gets the sub (maybe it'll be Cordy if match ups look a little light on for height).

Yep, T Boyd for Redpath.

With Roberts back in, I think it means Zaine is without a role. Hamling, Roberts, Morris, Wood and Roughy when not in the ruck. Then we also need to fit in our runners.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2015, 11:37 AM
For mine there's a few different roles available

- Campbell vs playing an extra tall defender to release Roughy (Roberts, Talia, Z Cord). My preference is Roberts and would think Talia is at the back of the queue. Would rather we play Campbell and have Roughy down back than Talia/Z Cordy in.

- Redpath vs Tom Boyd. I think Tom offers us more as a pure ruck and bail out option in the ruck. Redpath is a competitive beast.

- Two running spots out of Honeychurch, Daniel, Webb, Hrovat and Jong. I don't think Hrovat is much of a chance.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Yep, T Boyd for Redpath.

With Roberts back in, I think it means Zaine is without a role. Hamling, Roberts, Morris, Wood and Roughy when not in the ruck. Then we also need to fit in our runners.

I reckon if ZC gets a run as a Sub, it'll be less as a KPD but more as a hard running back flanker who can provide a chop out to the defensive unit but also push forward when we attack. Depending on who had to go off, he could even go to a wing and add variety to the midfield rotations.

He appeals as a Sub because his height and mobility means that he can fill in a number of roles and add flexibility. His big body and enthusiasm for the contest can really give the team a lift.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I keep saying it but after watching the VFL game, I want Daniel in our finals 22 more than ever. Poise, poise, poise. Outstanding in tight. He goes to where the space is.

Scorlibo
30-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I keep saying it but after watching the VFL game, I want Daniel in our finals 22 more than ever. Poise, poise, poise. Outstanding in tight. He goes to where the space is.

I agree. I'd want him as a teammate.

bornadog
30-08-2015, 11:07 PM

He was very good in the last quarter.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-08-2015, 12:00 AM
For mine there's a few different roles available

- Campbell vs playing an extra tall defender to release Roughy (Roberts, Talia, Z Cord). My preference is Roberts and would think Talia is at the back of the queue. Would rather we play Campbell and have Roughy down back than Talia/Z Cordy in.

- Redpath vs Tom Boyd. I think Tom offers us more as a pure ruck and bail out option in the ruck. Redpath is a competitive beast.

- Two running spots out of Honeychurch, Daniel, Webb, Hrovat and Jong. I don't think Hrovat is much of a chance.

Redpath was terrible yesterday when playing against Tarrant who is not a highly rated defender. Yesterday was an ideal opportunity for big Jack to perform well approaching the finals and he failed. The only option is to bring in Tom Boyd who would be a better second ruck option allowing Roughead to provide a better marking player than Redpath in attack. Roberts if fit needs to play this week to ensure that we have a second tall defender in the finals.

GVGjr
31-08-2015, 12:04 AM

I thought he needed a break but after seeing him today I agree he is almost a must. Decisive play when the pressure was on was a real standout with his game.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Lots of competition for best 22

Recent team goes alright. Redpath a bit lost. Not sure Tom Boyd is mobile enough yet. Defensively neither give us much.
If Easton Wood can mark as well as he can, run as well as he can, and read the play as well, I'd throw him forward and have Zaine Cordy down back with Daniel as sub.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
I think this week's side says a bit about the 22 we will go in with into the finals

comrade
03-09-2015, 09:05 PM
I think this week's side says a bit about the 22 we will go in with into the finals

Looks ok to me. Webb or Daniel for the last spot?

Rocco Jones
03-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Looks ok to me. Webb or Daniel for the last spot?

I've posted a lot about my love for Daniel. I think he suits finals footy so well.