comrade
30-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Best passage of play for the year.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2015, 03:26 AM
Unbelievably good

westdog54
30-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Ridiculous. Don't know if it was Bonti and String's skill or North's defending.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 07:56 AM
I believe the correct turn of phrase is “ripping the opposition a new one”.

I was watching that on TV, with a guttural chant of Bont Bont Bont Jake Jake Jake PIIIIIIICCCCCKKKEN. My poor missus thinks I'm a nut job.

Hot_Doggies
30-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Great team goal made better by Brad Scott saying " that's embarrassing".

Sedat
30-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Lazy scribes continue to look at the stats to ascertain impact - Bont had 1 stat in that passage but he read the Goldstein tap perfectly, out-smarted and out-strengthened 2 opponents (one of whom was Ziebell, who is strong as an ox and no mug), then steadied to deliver in space 50m up field. We all know how elite he is, but he also extremely hard-working and team-oriented. As for Stringer, his contribution was equal parts brute strength, wonderful touch (half-volley) and calmness to hold on and deliver to a player in better position.

Oh, and Wally is as good as there is in linking up for score involvements. And Picko nailed the goal with clinical precision, much as he's done most of the year - is this the same player who had the worst disposal efficiency of any midfielder in the entire AFL just a couple of years ago?

Bulldog Joe
30-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Lazy scribes continue to look at the stats to ascertain impact - Bont had 1 stat in that passage but he read the Goldstein tap perfectly, out-smarted and out-strengthened 2 opponents (one of whom was Ziebell, who is strong as an ox and no mug), then steadied to deliver in space 50m up field. We all know how elite he is, but he also extremely hard-working and team-oriented. As for Stringer, his contribution was equal parts brute strength, wonderful touch (half-volley) and calmness to hold on and deliver to a player in better position.

Oh, and Wally is as good as there is in linking up for score involvements. And Picko nailed the goal with clinical precision, much as he's done most of the year - is this the same player who had the worst disposal efficiency of any midfielder in the entire AFL just a couple of years ago?

Also why the fantasy football scores just cannot measure true worth of a players contribution.

Scorlibo
30-08-2015, 11:11 AM
It's about reading into the right statistics.

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/637560268281610242/photo/1

The footy pundits who site the Bont's disposal count and say he's had second year blues really grind my gears. The most advanced stats indicate he should be AA.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Jesus wept, just sublime.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Not bad. :D

jazzadogs
30-08-2015, 12:33 PM
My favourite passage of play for the year. Bont's composure in traffic, Stringer's strength in the contest. Only would have been better if it was Tom Boyd finishing from 50.

Watch out for this combo in finals. I'm excited.

The bulldog tragician
30-08-2015, 12:50 PM
What a wonderful goal. The Bont braking through with both artistry and strength, his pace and acceleration and then the metres gained with that raking left foot. Jake's balance and ability to keep his feet, his unbelievable core strength. I love that it was then finished off by the more blue collar but absolutely vital cogs who just run all day, Wallis, who has become elite, and Picken (I think he could win the Sutton medal).

What an incredible exhilarating season this has been.

F'scary
30-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Bontempelli beat 3 directly with at least another 2 trying to pressure. Stringer left his man for dead and beat two directly. 2 vs at least 6 and we came out on top.

Mantis
30-08-2015, 02:17 PM
My favourite passage of play for the year. Bont's composure in traffic, Stringer's strength in the contest. Only would have been better if it was Tom Boyd finishing from 50.

Watch out for this combo in finals. I'm excited.

Watch out for this combo for the next 10 years. :)

I've watched this clip about 10 times.. It's a thing of beauty.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Also love Roughys 180 degree double shepherd to protect Bont from Goldstein after contesting the hitout.

As an individual brilliance and team goal, hard to beat.

The stats don't do Bont justice, and yet Champion Data still have him in their rolling AA team (stats based). And...

he's still a teenager!!! :) :) :)

Holy crap, what kind of a player is he going to be?

1eyedog
30-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Yeah I scared the shit of the boy when Picken put that one through.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Great team goal made better by Brad Scott saying " that's embarrassing".

Pissed myself laughing when the camera panned onto Snotty and you could see him mouthing-"That's Embarrasing!"
Damn straight flog-you and your muppets should be embarrased.

Priceless ;)

merantau
30-08-2015, 09:12 PM
I've shown this footage to all and sundry including The Bushman from the Upper Amazon and Parts Unknown. After watching it he turned and said to me: "I'd like to take those blokes with me on my next wild boar hunt. They are ok in the contest and cover the ground well." He always was a master of understatement The Bushman.

boydogs
30-08-2015, 10:43 PM
#2 in the top 10 this week, behind Daniel Menzel's comeback

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-30/bulldogs-make-the-10

Mantis
31-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Pissed myself laughing when the camera panned onto Snotty and you could see him mouthing-"That's Embarrasing!"
Damn straight flog-you and your muppets should be embarrased.

Priceless ;)

They shouldn't be embarrassed.

The Bont and Stringer will be embarrassing teams for the next 10 years.. North are lucky that were there for the start of it.

Dancin' Douggy
31-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Those two, Stringer and Bontempelli, are off the richter scale.

There are 'A' graders and then there are 'A' graders, of the EJ, Ablett senior, Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey variety.

These two I believe are both going to be in that category.

That searing run from Stringer in the last was the first time I think he really revealed to the football world how %$#@#$ fast he actually is.

These last few years from Stringer is just him in RECOVERY mode from his horrific broken leg. RECOVERY MODE!!!
He already has a 50 goal year in the bag, and he's going to get better. He's gonna jump higher, run faster, he will be one of the greatest to ever play the game.

And Bonty, at 19, pulling off stunts like that against seasoned veterans.................. wow. It wasn't just the baulk, blind turn and broken tackle, it was his smooth movement and break away pace through traffic before that. Incredible talents, both of them.

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Like like like

Mofra
31-08-2015, 05:09 PM
I was gobsmacked when it happened, making all sorts of noise in the pub at the time.
Stringer's run from halfback and subsequent delivery to Crammers got just as big reaction from the neutrals.

Two absolutely sublime pieces of play.

azabob
31-08-2015, 06:50 PM
I was gobsmacked at the ground. In fact, I still am.

I made the call in the match day thread after the game that the Bontempelli weave out of the pack was the individual highlight of 2015, and I still it believe this.

I was sitting on the same side of the ground but on the defensive 50m line and all I could see was the Bontempelli intercept Goldstein hit out in between 3 North Melbourne players no less.

Somehow in what seemed like slow motion waltz's out of the pack, before the North players even knew what had happened, and he is space, then manages to weave a couple more, and then to nearly hit Stringer lace out? - Get out of here...

You shouldn't be able to do that.

That entire play was on pure instinct, yet he remained so calm and in the moment, didn't panic, didn't rush a handball, didn't kick in hope - which if he did, you could've forgiven him.

It was a moment of pure joy and poetry in motion.