PDA

View Full Version : We fear no one - We can go all the way

bornadog
31-08-2015, 11:57 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11903873_10153522004379120_2338525320309815764_n.jpg?oh=202e 06fde7032a686bc2001e868a6282&oe=567C8F96&__gda__=1449189097_2a585faf0d31bae220e06195d9602743

Luke Beveridge's answer to a question on footy classifieds - Can you win the premiership.

Can we go all the way this year. It's a tough ask from the bottom half of the 8, but it can be done.

boydogs
01-09-2015, 12:13 AM
It's definitely a year where 5th-8th are a chance. If for no other reason than 3 of the top 4 are interstate teams that would need to win the GF in Melbourne

Ghost Dog
01-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Worst sport: Lawn Bowls. Yeah his biceps get in the way.

Sedat
01-09-2015, 01:45 AM
It's definitely a year where 5th-8th are a chance. If for no other reason than 3 of the top 4 are interstate teams that would need to win the GF in Melbourne
The flipside to that is the teams 5-8 will likely have to do more travelling than the Leyland Brothers just to get to the big dance.

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 03:35 AM
The flipside to that is the teams 5-8 will likely have to do more travelling than the Leyland Brothers just to get to the big dance.

Just thinking about possible scenarios. Quite possible a team could get a Perth team week 2, win that and then be in Perth again for the prelim. In that case, you'd be tempted to stay there for the week. What a nightmare that could be, organising training etc.

What about Sydney week 2 then Perth? Due you fly home or minimize the travel and head straight to Perth?

SonofScray
01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
There is a real buzz about the place, the warmth and love he talks about is really palpable and it melting away whatever cynicism and trauma we've carried along the journey. I feel full of belief, more than I ever have. On our day we can beat anyone, anywhere. If we can have enough days in the next month and a bit, we'll have a Cup in our cabinet.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-09-2015, 04:50 PM
To quote Mitch Wallis: "we're gonna light it up mate". I think he was talking about the finals...

Axe Man
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I can't imagine too many 24 year olds listing gardening as a hobby these days unless we're talking some sort of hydroponic setup.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 04:55 PM
I have always loved the answer to my question being "we can go all the way". :)

I actually found some 1995 signed stuff and I had Bevos autograph on them. I recommend spring cleaning, I found some stuff I had no idea I had.

boydogs
01-09-2015, 10:24 PM

This is what the finals looks like if the higher ranked side wins every game in round 23 and finals. We would take Hawthorn's place if we manage to beat them in week 2 and end up playing two games in Melbourne, then one in Perth before taking on West Coast in Melbourne for the flag

It involves beating 3 top 4 sides in 3 weeks, including last year's premiers, the minor premiers in Perth after a week off and the side that just beat us by 12 goals, but it only involves 1 interstate trip and a GF in our home state against an interstate team

http://puu.sh/jW8hv/d4eb9eaa80.png

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 10:42 PM
There used to be a rule that 1 PF has to be played at the MCG due to a long term contract that was signed with the MCC years and years ago. Does that still exist?

If so, Freo as #1 team would be granted home PF and WCE would have to come to MCG.

azabob
01-09-2015, 10:47 PM
There used to be a rule that 1 PF has to be played at the MCG due to a long term contract that was signed with the MCC years and years ago. Does that still exist?

If so, Freo as #1 team would be granted home PF and WCE would have to come to MCG.

The rule is still in place, but there is a system in place which the AFL can 'bank' games. Which from my understanding they are ahead, resulting in, if required the two prelim finals can be played in Perth.

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Fair enough. Damn, though. Got excited for a minute.

Then again, we can go to Perth and win anyway.

Sedat
01-09-2015, 11:24 PM
This is what the finals looks like if the higher ranked side wins every game in round 23 and finals. We would take Hawthorn's place if we manage to beat them in week 2 and end up playing two games in Melbourne, then one in Perth before taking on West Coast in Melbourne for the flag

It involves beating 3 top 4 sides in 3 weeks, including last year's premiers, the minor premiers in Perth after a week off and the side that just beat us by 12 goals, but it only involves 1 interstate trip and a GF in our home state
If the Hawks do the job in Perth in the QF, we get 2 weeks in a row in Perth after (hopefully) winning our first final. Tough ask.

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 11:34 PM
We still have a shot at 5th.

boydogs
02-09-2015, 12:06 AM
If the Hawks do the job in Perth in the QF, we get 2 weeks in a row in Perth after (hopefully) winning our first final. Tough ask.

We need T&T to root for West Coast :)

Getting Hawthorn coming off the back of a Perth trip is probably our best chance for a prelim. The prelim in Perth could then be a tougher game than the GF in Melbourne

Mantis
02-09-2015, 09:00 AM
We still have a shot at 5th.

I'm not so sure.. I think North will 'manage' their team this week with an eye on playing Richmond again the following week.

bornadog
02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm not so sure.. I think North will 'manage' their team this week with an eye on playing Richmond again the following week.

Richmond will be trying hard (and so should we be) not to lose and end up playing in Adelaide. North have nothing to gain.

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I doubt NM will completely lie down. They wouldn't want a complete drubbing to a team they have to face again the next week, let alone cop 2 heavy defeats in a row going into the finals.

They'll rest a couple and keep a trick or 2 up their sleeves for the following week (as will Richmond) but, otherwise, they'll have a crack.

As long as the margin is not too large, we can still jump Richmond with a complete destruction of Brisbane.

Axe Man
02-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere previously but I just realised that it has been 54 years since our last grand final appearance - omen? ;)

The Pie Man
02-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I doubt NM will completely lie down. They wouldn't want a complete drubbing to a team they have to face again the next week, let alone cop 2 heavy defeats in a row going into the finals.

They'll rest a couple and keep a trick or 2 up their sleeves for the following week (as will Richmond) but, otherwise, they'll have a crack.

As long as the margin is not too large, we can still jump Richmond with a complete destruction of Brisbane.

Which would then see us definitely play at the G - my preference (no disrespect to North intended, but they're a) weaker than Adelaide & B) we need finals experience where meaningful finals are played)

Wouldn't rule out us winning by 90 + on Saturday given Brisbane's issues.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere previously but I just realised that it has been 54 years since our last grand final appearance - omen? ;)

That is spooky.
Seeing Bevo's nickname was or is spook even moreso.