PDA

View Full Version : The lesser lights

Mantis
11-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Whilst it 's probably expected that our guns will lead the charge, quite often it can be the lesser lights who have a big impact in the result, here are a few players who fall into this category:

Jarard Grant - A possible 'green vest' candidate, but a player who really needs to have an influence.. In general his performances have been pretty good this year, but he has struggled against the better teams.. Should enjoy the open expenses of the 'G.

Will Minson - He should be primed for a big game, we need controlled aggression and discipline from the big fellow.

Tory Dickson - With much of the focus on Stringer & Crameri there is the opportunity for another forward to get off the chain. Whilst Tory has had a very good year his last 3 weeks have been a bit of a struggle, so hoping he wasn't too effected by the knock to the back and he can play a big part.

Which other lesser lights do we have who can have a big impact on the result?

bornadog
11-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Honeychurch must nail those goals at every opportunity

Axe Man
11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Roberts, Hamling and Morris.

Their work will most likely go largely unnoticed but if they can keep Tex, Jenkins, Lynch and possibly Betts in check then we win.

1eyedog
11-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Joel Hamling.

Whether it's Tex or Jenkins he'll be once again playing well underweight. He needs assistance from the midfield to limit his exposure to one on one contests with both of these guys and he needs a chop out from Wood.

Ultimately he needs to use his athleticism and be able to focus on locking down because Tex and Jenkins can kick goals quickly. I don't care if he only gets 4 disposals as long as he gets a handful of effective spoils.

lemmon
11-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Lin Jong, he's probably grabbed the last spot in the side by the skin of his teeth. We need some of that dash we saw in the early rounds, can't having him going him back into his shell in the heat of a final

Sedat
11-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Tory Dickson - With much of the focus on Stringer & Crameri there is the opportunity for another forward to get off the chain. Whilst Tory has had a very good year his last 3 weeks have been a bit of a struggle, so hoping he wasn't too effected by the knock to the back and he can play a big part.
Good nomination. He's such a smart reader of the play and could really cut Adelaide up with all the defensive focus going onto Stringer and Crameri - he does have a bag of 6 against the Crows previously. And I trust his goal kicking in the open elements of the MCG far more than our other forwards.

I think Redpath is really important this week - if he can at least get into dangerous areas that requires his direct opponent to have to put work into him instead of zoning off, their defensive 50 rebound and also their team defence against our better forwards will be compromised. Could also provide important minutes in the ruck to help soften Jacobs up over the course of the night.

I'd have Daniel as the sub instead of Granty, and in this role I can see him come on and have an instant impact once the starting mids on both sides tire and space opens up later in the game.

soupman
11-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Mitch Honeychurch.

Started the year in impressive form after being a somewhat surprise selection ahead of other similar small half forwards who are cleaner with the footy in Hrovat and Hunter. His selection was quickly justified thanks to the pressure he brought to our forwardline, with many of our goals coming from forward turnovers. This dried up throughout the year as the side found other avenues to goal, coinciding with Honeychurchs absence from the team.

Has been in the side these last few weeks and again been good, but in this finals series we really need him to not only maintain the intensity but to continue to make the most of his chances as he did against North. A lot of time will be put into our more recognised goalkickers Stringer, Crameri and Dickson so Honeychurch really needs to make the most of every opportunity that comes his way.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Redpath for me. Four quarters of dropping marks and giving stupid frees away is too much a burden to overcome in a cut throat final. If he can compete, clunk a few, bring in the small guys (Daniel, Honey, Dahl), ruck ok and be a presence then that a big, big tick for me. If he can impact early then Adelaide have to work out if he's fluking impact or whether Talia needs to move off Stringer and then Stringer, Crameri and Dicko or even Granty pinch hitting can get loose. He's a big domino at the start of the chain for me.

Mofra
11-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Biggs - with JJ out his run and disposal from the backline becomes even more important.
If he can show he can stand up in big games he'll play 100+ games for us, especially with Matty (Brad) Boyd likely to retire after next year

Ozza
11-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Agree with posts on Dickson.

He's the type that won't get the same attention - but is capable of kicking 4 or 5 and being the match winner while the focus is on the Package and Crameri.

Its also pretty important that Lachie Hunter is very involved on the wing - linking us between half back and half forward. There tends to be an extra kick out there at the G' when you're moving the ball. Lachie getting the ball 30 times would be a big help.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Redpath is the one for me.

Will likely be playing on someone he is much bigger/stronger than. Needs to get on top early to set the tone.

Mantis
11-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Redpath is the one for me.

Will likely be playing on someone he is much bigger/stronger than. Needs to get on top early to set the tone.

Who do you think will go to Redpath?

I would have either Talia or Hartigan on him if I were the Cows... And neither of those players will be giving away too much height/weight.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 01:15 PM

I would have either Talia or Hartigan on him if I were the Cows... And neither of those players will be giving away too much height/weight.

I think Cheney will start on Redpath. Cheney has played his best footy when standing bigger opponents. I believe Talia and Hartigan will go with Crameri and Stringer.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 01:16 PM
It will be easy to pick who is playing on Stringer.

He'll be the bloke having a nervous vomit in the warm up.

whythelongface
11-09-2015, 01:17 PM
The three lesser lights that really need to shine are:

Redpath - need a big game from him. He needs to take some grabs up the ground and create space for Crameri, Dickson and Stringer to use their pace and the expanses of the MCG. He needs to be able to feed off to our runners streaming through the back half.

Biggs - with the inclusions of Boyd, Murph and Morris and having 7 defensive players can see his run being important in the context of the game and running (along with Murph and Wood) off the likes of Redpath and delivering into our forward line. Biggs will also likely spend some time on the wing (rotating with Grant)

Grant - it is time to play the game of your life fella. We know he has it him. He really needs to make a stand and take the game on and get more involved.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 01:23 PM
The three lesser lights that really need to shine are:

Redpath - need a big game from him. He needs to take some grabs up the ground and create space for Crameri, Dickson and Stringer to use their pace and the expanses of the MCG. He needs to be able to feed off to our runners streaming through the back half.

Biggs - with the inclusions of Boyd, Murph and Morris and having 7 defensive players can see his run being important in the context of the game and running (along with Murph and Wood) off the likes of Redpath and delivering into our forward line. Biggs will also likely spend some time on the wing (rotating with Grant)

Grant - it is time to play the game of your life fella. We know he has it him. He really needs to make a stand and take the game on and get more involved.

I'd like to see Grant use his pace on the MCG. He has great speed, but rarely uses it to run and carry. I'm sure we can all remember his 4 bounce goal against Collingwood in 2010 (I think it was 2010). I'd like to see him put the foot down through the middle of the G when he gets a chance tonight. I don't want to see us stuck in the mode of kicking long down the wing (as can happen at the MCG), and Grant could be one of the players that opens up the ground for us if he gets involved.

The question is, whether he will get himself right into the game.
Definitely a wild card player.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I reckon finals are about players who can make good decisions in heavy traffic, use the ball cleanly and get team mates time and space, especially early.

I reckon the player who is still a bit of a lesser light who can really stamp himself as a genuine star is Lachie Hunter.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Some truth in the OP. Dylan Addison was one of our front runners in the last final IIRC, oh and that guy who went to GWS. What was his name again?

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Great thread.

All good candidates. I think Dickson and Grant are quite important given that a lot of attention will go onto Stringer and to a lesser extent Crameri (who probably isn't 100%). Therefore, Dickson really needs to return to his earlier season form and Grant needs to stamp himself as a good player. Still have memories of Grant struggling in the 2010 finals series, but he's a better player now. Honeychurch is somebody who could be important too, as they like to rebound quickly.

Somebody we haven't mentioned is Roberts. He was fantastic earlier in the year prior to injury - arguably our best defender - was poor in the VFL upon return and OK last week v Brisbane. Needs to get back to his best with the likes of Tex and Jenkins up forward. If he plays really well, the flow on effect it has for Morris and Wood is enormous. If he doesn't, we're in trouble.

The Pie Man
11-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Macrae's not a lesser light (unless in the shade of Marcus & Jake) but he's someone who can be pivotal to how we perform - really liked his game against North, clean with good vision. Will be interesting to see how he goes on the G with a what will likely be a tricky breeze around. If he can get a bit of it and more importantly use it well, he will be important.

Agree with others on Redpath - if he can snag a few bonus goals and bring the pressure required, he'll have done his job. Other than Hall in 2010 (or maybe Minson) he's the biggest forward we've had in finals in the last decade.

boydogs
11-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Honeychurch must nail those goals at every opportunity

He did so against North & I noticed his kicking action had improved, looked like Akermanis lowering the ball to his foot

I reckon finals are about players who can make good decisions in heavy traffic, use the ball cleanly and get team mates time and space, especially early.

I reckon the player who is still a bit of a lesser light who can really stamp himself as a genuine star is Lachie Hunter.

For the same reason I'm going with Caleb Daniel. He's the type that can operate in a shoebox and get it outside to a target

EasternWest
11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Some truth in the OP. Dylan Addison was one of our front runners in the last final IIRC, oh and that guy who went to GWS. What was his name again?

Addison consistently played well in finals.

Mantis
11-09-2015, 03:05 PM

He was quite awful against Collingwood in 2010... Was set the task of running with Daisy who gave him a bath.

bornadog
11-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Does it surprise you he only played in 3 finals averaging around 13 disposals.

Greystache
11-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Great thread Mantis, and you're right, it's often a lesser light that wins finals. Especially grand finals.

I can see Jong unexpectedly breaking the game open from the centre, or Daniel bobbing up and kicking 4 to be the difference. We need our good players to play well and I'm really confident Macrae, Bonti, and Stringer will rise to the challenge.

Getting goals out of Crameri and Dickson will be key also, we need at least 4-5 between them.

Eastdog
11-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Wont be playing but if he was Id go JJ. Just love the way he goes about and would have given us that speed of half back.

Well with who is playing ill go Hamling, Dockson, Jong.

EasternWest
11-09-2015, 03:58 PM
He was quite awful against Collingwood in 2010... Was set the task of running with Daisy who gave him a bath.

Well that I must've forgotten.

Does it surprise you he only played in 3 finals averaging around 13 disposals.

Not really. We're talking about lesser lights. It's possible to play well and only have 13 touches.

Twodogs
11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Caleb Daniel. Ths will be one of the last times that Caleb will be referred to as a lesser light. He's going to set this finals series alight.
If Eddie Betts gets off the leash then Daniel is my left of field nomination for a defensive post on Eddie, I know he's tiny but he just does not give up on a contest and he's good over head and reads the play well. I saw some footage of him on his highlights reel steaming out of defence so he's played down there.

Dogmatic
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Picken can be really important in finals, his physicality/tackling at a key moment can really ignite the team. Plus, he can also kick important goals.

Cyberdoggie
11-09-2015, 05:09 PM

Redpath is my worry.
He needs to stand up or at least perform his role against a quality defender in Talia.
I can easily see him being subbed to allow more space for Crameri and Stringer to move and out run their opponents in the last.
Will really depend on what sort of game it is.

If this becomes a dour low scoring affair the Redpath needs to stand up and take a few big grabs.

Mantis
11-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Redpath is my worry.
He needs to stand up or at least perform his role against a quality defender in Talia.
I can easily see him being subbed to allow more space for Crameri and Stringer to move and out run their opponents in the last.

If this becomes a dour low scoring affair the Redpath needs to stand up and take a few big grabs.

It would put a huge amount of responsibility on Will if Redpath is subbed.. I wouldn't think it would be our preferred option.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 09:22 PM
After Saturday Night our lesser light's will be no more ;)

FrediKanoute
12-09-2015, 12:01 AM
I'd have Daniel as the sub instead of Granty, and in this role I can see him come on and have an instant impact once the starting mids on both sides tire and space opens up later in the game.

Agree. He is the first player the Dogs have had who can actually impact instantaneously. He is a smart ball user/getter and doesn't take long to get into the play. Good sub to have

HOSE B ROMERO
12-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Big Will.

If he can bring the 2013 vintage Minson where he competed hard, second effort to get the kick into the forward line and got to every ball up, he will be decisive.

If the other Will turns up where he looks disinterested, hands on hips, does the human starfish on top of his opponent and gives away silly free kicks and 50's, it won't be pretty.

FrediKanoute
12-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Wil needs a big game. He plays poorly and we win he wont be there next week. He plays ok and we win he probably wont be there next week. He needs a game that says - drop me at your peril!

LostDoggy
12-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Wil needs a big game. He plays poorly and we win he wont be there next week. He plays ok and we win he probably wont be there next week. He needs a game that says - drop me at your peril!

At least the opposition ruckmen next week, Hale/McEvoy, will be suitable for Will. So hope he goes well.

jeemak
12-09-2015, 03:10 AM
Great work on the thread all, been absolutely under the pump these past couple days and in the fleeting moments I've been able to read WOOF this thread has stood out.

comrade
12-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Mitch Honeychurch.

Started the year in impressive form after being a somewhat surprise selection ahead of other similar small half forwards who are cleaner with the footy in Hrovat and Hunter. His selection was quickly justified thanks to the pressure he brought to our forwardline, with many of our goals coming from forward turnovers. This dried up throughout the year as the side found other avenues to goal, coinciding with Honeychurchs absence from the team.

Has been in the side these last few weeks and again been good, but in this finals series we really need him to not only maintain the intensity but to continue to make the most of his chances as he did against North. A lot of time will be put into our more recognised goalkickers Stringer, Crameri and Dickson so Honeychurch really needs to make the most of every opportunity that comes his way.

Agree with this. Likely to get no more than 10-12 touches so needs to nail the opportunistic goals when they come. If he burns these, he becomes a liability. I think he'll handle to occasion ok.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Whilst it 's probably expected that our guns will lead the charge, quite often it can be the lesser lights who have a big impact in the result, here are a few players who fall into this category:

Jarard Grant - A possible 'green vest' candidate, but a player who really needs to have an influence.. In general his performances have been pretty good this year, but he has struggled against the better teams.. Should enjoy the open expenses of the 'G.

Will Minson - He should be primed for a big game, we need controlled aggression and discipline from the big fellow.

Well Mantis, I think 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Lin Jong, I doubted him, he is an odd looking player at times and the way he looks around the field aimlessly at times has me scratching my head. But when he took that grab I made a cheer that scared the shit out of people in the next room. And he nailed it too.

Tory Dickson and Minson were quite good, Jarrad Grant continues to frustrate. The problem is many of our 'major lights' didn't have a great game.