PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Round EF 2015 - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide Crows

Pages : 1 [2]

bornadog
15-09-2015, 05:11 PM
As much as I would love to be playing next week I'm assuming you meant 'Rich/NB', BAD

Good pickup, it was off a tweet.

LostDoggy
15-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Night games do usually rate higher.

Remi Moses
15-09-2015, 07:43 PM
If we are expecting or relying on Murphy or Boyd to do something extraordinary to win us games then we might as well give it away now.

Blimey that's a bit harsh. I thought of the senior finals experienced players, Boyd was the most disappointing .

comrade
15-09-2015, 08:37 PM
I echo the thoughts of TBB and Sedat, Saturday night was shattering. Not because we lost, we're a young team who'd come a long way in one season, but more so because we saw another generation of players coming through who failed to take the moment when it arose on the big stage. We were easily the better team on the day but found a way to lose. I'd convinced myself that unlike the 99 draft group, or the 300 group before that that, the likes of Bonti and Stringer would lift for the big moment and drag us over the line. Sadly Bonti missed 3 very gettable chances when we had a chance to ice the game, Stringer was largely unsighted, and several others missed their moment.

That's not to say they won't deliver next time, but I had no faith Boyd or Murphy would deliver at the big moment based on previous form and I wasn't disappointed this time, and it's hard to have faith we won't keep seeing the same thing time and time again.

Bonti was immense and Stringer twinged his hammy in the opening minutes, yet still kicked 2 freakish clutch goals to get us back in it.

bornadog
15-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Bonti was immense and Stringer twinged his hammy in the opening minutes, yet still kicked 2 freakish clutch goals to get us back in it.

Just to punish myself I re-watched the last quarter up to where Tex starts bouncing the ball along the boundary after throwing Roberts to the ground illegally.

There were lots of errors after we hit the front and led by 8 or 9 points. One of the boundary umpires cheat when Stringer is chasing the ball, over runs it and Talia picks it up and runs off. The ball actually rolled over the line and the boundary umpire stood there watching.

Later on we made so many handball errors in the backline it wasn't funny. We seemed to panic, and hopefully the young players will learn from that.

I have now deleted the game off IQ :(

The bulldog tragician
16-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Just to punish myself I re-watched the last quarter up to where Tex starts bouncing the ball along the boundary after throwing Roberts to the ground illegally.

There were lots of errors after we hit the front and led by 8 or 9 points. One of the boundary umpires cheat when Stringer is chasing the ball, over runs it and Talia picks it up and runs off. The ball actually rolled over the line and the boundary umpire stood there watching.

Later on we made so many handball errors in the backline it wasn't funny. We seemed to panic, and hopefully the young players will learn from that.

I have now deleted the game off IQ :(

I remember that boundary line thing ! The last quarter is a blur though. Very courageous effort to watch it again, let alone the third quarter where we basically threw it away.

Twodogs
16-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I remember that boundary line thing ! The last quarter is a blur though. Very courageous effort to watch it again, let alone the third quarter where we basically threw it away.

The third quarter was awful. Watching us miss shot after shot.

Twodogs
16-09-2015, 06:05 PM
I've just remembered. It's saved to the hard drive on the telly. Delete ASAP.

The bulldog tragician
16-09-2015, 09:13 PM
I've just remembered. It's saved to the hard drive on the telly. Delete ASAP.

My sister arrived home to see that the message on IQ next to the game said Failed. It seemed apt.

Sedat
16-09-2015, 10:40 PM
David King didn't miss us with his review of the game. Our defensive running was terrible, especially early on, which King highlighted a number of examples of Adelaide players running past Dogs players unopposed through the middle. I was wondering on the night why Adelaide was slicing us up so easily on the rebound - now I know why. Uncharacteristic defensive performance by us this year - I think we got a false sense of security after kicking the first 3 goals of the game and then went to sleep defensively for the next 45 minutes.

azabob
16-09-2015, 11:36 PM
I am still in disbelief we lost this game. This is the most frustrated I have been after a loss all year. As Sedat mentioned above, the ease with which Adelaide scored not only in the first half but entire march was ridiculous. Beveridge knew this was a problem but couldn't get us as a team to tighten up. He described it as our players being a bit to enthusiastic about attacking - or something along those lines.

It was a Really disappointing end to a great season.

Happy Days
16-09-2015, 11:53 PM
David King didn't miss us with his review of the game. Our defensive running was terrible, especially early on, which King highlighted a number of examples of Adelaide players running past Dogs players unopposed through the middle. I was wondering on the night why Adelaide was slicing us up so easily on the rebound - now I know why. Uncharacteristic defensive performance by us this year - I think we got a false sense of security after kicking the first 3 goals of the game and then went to sleep defensively for the next 45 minutes.

I kind of understand why this happened - I think the extra space messed with our press a little bit and took us a quarter or so to adapt to. If anything is stretched by its sides it will logically become skinnier from top to bottom. We seemed to fix this up from about midway through the second onwards, but not before that little twerp/gun Betts snagged 4 too many.

Now I'm not saying this is an acceptable rationale, but it's a rationale at least.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-09-2015, 12:39 AM
It took far too long to fix, particularly when we had senior players in Morris, Murphy, Boyd and Wood on the ground. You would think it's something that should be fixed within minutes. It took us about 2 and a half quarters, and even then, it was still poor.

The fact that we're sitting out Friday Night really, really annoys me.

Remi Moses
17-09-2015, 01:22 AM
I heard that to.
He's bang on, as much as we missed our chances in the second half, the first half team defence was atrocious

Bulldog4life
17-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Yes our defence in the last two games we played....Adelaide & Brisbane... was uncharacteristic of how we played during the year.

Twodogs
17-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Yes our defence in the last two games we played....Adelaide & Brisbane... was uncharacteristic of how we played during the year.

We saved the worst for last just to keep them guessing.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Leigh Matthews commented on the Sunday that the two best young players in the comp are Bontempelli and Stringer and that they play in the same team. Good call Leigh. Let's see who we pick up in the off season to bolster a great young side.

Sedat
17-09-2015, 04:55 PM
I kind of understand why this happened - I think the extra space messed with our press a little bit and took us a quarter or so to adapt to. If anything is stretched by its sides it will logically become skinnier from top to bottom. We seemed to fix this up from about midway through the second onwards, but not before that little twerp/gun Betts snagged 4 too many.

Now I'm not saying this is an acceptable rationale, but it's a rationale at least.
I wasn't concerned with the last passage of play - we didn't do a hell of a lot wrong except lose the initial clearance in our forward line (which shouldn't have been a stoppage anyway as we butchered a clear goal scoring opportunity through Hunter/Crameri which caused the stoppage).

The lack of defensive running was far more of an issue from about 10 minutes into the 1st qtr until half time. So many ridiculously easy goals conceded because we let the likes of Sloane and Cameron run past us and deliver unopposed into Adelaide's forward 50 for Betts to gobble up.

jeemak
17-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Having not had the time or inclination to post since Saturday, pretty much all of my sentiments have been summed up well by other posters.

A lot of our defencive malaise was caused between the ears of a young team that probably took for granted the early lead gained, and not fully understanding a sucker given an even break will gladly take an advantage. Yes the MCG is a tough ground to set up on from a space perspective compared to Docklands, but it's not that tough. Adelaide was able to get behind us with efficient ball movement too easily and would have done so on any ground such was our attitude towards team defence.

I hope the players who missed easy goals and easy targets burn on the inside. Because of them Adelaide were the better team where it counted - in the column under "G" - and they were just members of a team typical of its predecessors.

We should be getting ready to take it up to the Hawks this week.

Mantis
18-09-2015, 04:36 PM
We should be getting ready to take it up to the Hawks this week.

Just went for a walk out the front of work and there are Cows supporters lubricating their vocal chords in the numerous bars around the area.

It should be us!

bornadog
03-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Bevo on 774 discussing the GF and general football.

Says he is still hurting over loss to Adelaide. I love this bloke, it is burning and will only make us more determined next year.

Also mentioned his paternal Grand father played for Collingwood. Played in 4 consecutive premierships.

LostDoggy
03-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Bevo on 774 discussing the GF and general football.

Says he is still hurting over loss to Adelaide. I love this bloke, it is burning and will only make us more determined next year.

Also mentioned his paternal Grand father played for Collingwood. Played in 4 consecutive premierships.

His father, John, is also a significant figure in AFL/VFL history, having been a key recruiter/list manager at StKilda for over 30 years. Hell of a family.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-10-2015, 09:33 PM
I wasn't concerned with the last passage of play - we didn't do a hell of a lot wrong except lose the initial clearance in our forward line (which shouldn't have been a stoppage anyway as we butchered a clear goal scoring opportunity through Hunter/Crameri which caused the stoppage).

The lack of defensive running was far more of an issue from about 10 minutes into the 1st qtr until half time. So many ridiculously easy goals conceded because we let the likes of Sloane and Cameron run past us and deliver unopposed into Adelaide's forward 50 for Betts to gobble up.

Our inability to play tight and play shoulder to shoulder with Eddie Betts was a key factor in the defeat. Hawthorn's defence hardly gave Betts a touch the following week which was a huge contrast to the 5 easy goals we gifted him.

comrade
04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Our inability to play tight and play shoulder to shoulder with Eddie Betts was a key factor in the defeat. Hawthorn's defence hardly gave Betts a touch the following week which was a huge contrast to the 5 easy goals we gifted him.

Helps when you know the game plan :D

No doubt the Hawks saw our game and gave more focus to stopping Betts. He's such a barometer for the Crows, that if he's quiet, they probably won't win. We'll be better next time.

Mantis
04-10-2015, 09:47 AM
No doubt the Hawks saw our game and gave more focus to stopping Betts. He's such a barometer for the Crows, that if he's quiet, they probably won't win. We'll be better next time.

Before our game with the Crows we all knew that it was extremely important that we keep Betts quiet.. But seems no-one with the club agreed with those thoughts.

1eyedog
04-10-2015, 10:37 AM
It seemed it was a structural issue rather than a man on man issue. We certainly needed to be more aware of Betts but we seemed intent on pushing up. Betts is a smart footballer and saw the opportunities presented out the back.

Twodogs
04-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Before our game with the Crows we all knew that it was extremely important that we keep Betts quiet.. But seems no-one with the club agreed with those thoughts.

I remembember devoting a heap of bandwidth to options to deal with Eddie Betts. I spent so much time talking about that I devoted a whole post to the idea of playing Caleb Daniel on Eddie.

bornadog
04-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Betts wasn't the reason we lost the match, yeah he kicked 5 so did Dickson.

Our inability to kick goals, especially in the third quarter when Bonti twice, Grant twice and Wallis missed the easiest goals ever. My mother could have kicked those and she is 86.

LostDoggy
04-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Our inability to kick goals, especially in the third quarter when Bonti twice, Grant twice and Wallis missed the easiest goals ever. My mother could have kicked those and she is 86.
You're right mate. Mrs. BAD at full forward in 2016 and the puzzle will be solved.

Mantis
04-10-2015, 07:11 PM

We lost the match in the first qtr when we conceded 5 goals from Adelaide's first 6 inside 50's... Betts was left to waltz around and do as he pleased thru this period.

The 3rd qtr misses weren't great, but we should have been 4 goals up at qtr time, but instead we were playing catch up.

bornadog
04-10-2015, 11:46 PM
We lost the match in the first qtr when we conceded 5 goals from Adelaide's first 6 inside 50's... Betts was left to waltz around and do as he pleased thru this period.

The 3rd qtr misses weren't great, but we should have been 4 goals up at qtr time, but instead we were playing catch up.

There was only a goal or two in it the whole match - hardly catch up football.

1eyedog
05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
I wish I could get over this game to be honest. Bont's errant shots on goal, Fletcher falling over, Hunter's errant handball to Crameri with Grant running into goal, Stringer not dishing off to Wally, not tightening the screws on Betts... and the list goes on FFS. Could we have tried to lose this match any better than what we did?

boydogs
05-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I wish I could get over this game to be honest. Bont's errant shots on goal, Fletcher falling over, Hunter's errant handball to Crameri with Grant running into goal, Stringer not dishing off to Wally, not tightening the screws on Betts... and the list goes on FFS. Could we have tried to lose this match any better than what we did?

Not so much the goalkicking, but there will always be errors when you take the game on. You take the good with the bad. We had 32 scoring shots with Redpath (4 hitouts) & Minson (0.0) as our rucks and big forward targets

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm sure the Eagles are saying the exact same things today. Might go check out one of their forums.

bornadog
06-10-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm sure the Eagles are saying the exact same things today. Might go check out one of their forums.

Eagles got smashed, were never in the hunt.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Eagles got smashed, were never in the hunt.

Yeah Tiger fans would be feeling the same as us. They should have won that being 21 points up in the third.

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 07:00 PM
My point is, there are hundreds of moments in a match where the tide can turn your way. Our game against GCS this year is a good example of this. If the Eagles had've handled the beginning of the match better, nailed their targets, and bothered to have a look at a photo of Cyril Rioli pre-game so they would've known what he looked like, they may not have been smashed, as you say.

chef
07-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Need to close this thread, still pisses me off thinking about the game.

bornadog
26-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Replay on FoxFooty now

Twodogs
26-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Replay on FoxFooty now

Give us a shout if it turns out differently...

bornadog
26-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Give us a shout if it turns out differently...

I have never watched it to tell you the truth. I have it recording and may do at some stage.

strebla
26-10-2019, 07:36 PM
You enjoy that

chef
26-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Yeah I'll give it a miss.

Twodogs
26-10-2019, 10:44 PM
I have never watched it to tell you the truth. I have it recording and may do at some stage.

Do yourself a favor and when the ball spills toward the open wing at the 30 minute mark of the last quarter and Tex Walker is entering the scene from stage right turn the TV off.

Either that or keep watching and throw something at the screen.

bornadog
27-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Do yourself a favor and when the ball spills toward the open wing at the 30 minute mark of the last quarter and Tex Walker is entering the scene from stage right turn the TV off.

I did exactly that.

macca
27-10-2019, 02:09 AM
I did exactly that.

Any game where we lose to Adelaide in a final I really don’t want to talk about it. It just brings bad memories
Sorry I just hate how they beat us, its just too painful to talk about it

The Adelaide Connection
27-10-2019, 12:07 PM
I am thankful that I made the executive decision to fly back on a late flight the next day.

It was still bad, but not ‘red eye the morning after with fans singing the song’ bad.

bornadog
27-10-2019, 12:38 PM
The only reason I watched this was to see some of the players when they were a lot younger and how they may have changed.

Interesting to watch Macrae, Bont, Dickson (5 goals), Hunter etc. The style of play was also a lot different, as the intensity wasn't there.

Twodogs
27-10-2019, 07:47 PM
The only reason I watched this was to see some of the players when they were a lot younger and how they may have changed.

Interesting to watch Macrae, Bont, Dickson (5 goals), Hunter etc. The style of play was also a lot different, as the intensity wasn't there.

And a cameo from Stringer where he waddles to a pack 15 metres out from goal, the ball spills to him and before he can have the shot his hamstring goes 'ping' and he limps off again.