PDA

View Full Version : 2016 East Meets West Training Day

Eastdog
29-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Just thought I let woofers know. No dissapointment next year - hopefully the weather isn't too hot.

2016 East-Meets-West Training Day

The Western Bulldogs playing group will head to the eastern suburbs, for a special training session at Wesley College (Glen Weverley Campus) on Saturday, 23 January 2016.

More details will be released closer to the event, however for any enquiries please contact Supporter Group Relationships Coordinator Linda Murray on (03) 9680 6142 or via email at
linda.murray@westernbulldogs.com.au

How To Join: Annual Subscription from 1 January – December 31 is $10 per household ($5 for concession – pensioners, students, etc.)

Please print off this form and submit to join.

Eastdog
18-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Got an email from the club yesterday with more details about the 2016 East Meets West.

When: Saturday 23rd January 2016 (8:00am-12:00pm)

Where: Wesley College, Glen Waverley

Come along for a fun filled day where you can get up close to your Bulldog heroes, watch a full training session, score some autographs and take some photos.

The East West Club will keep this date regardless of the weather so lets hope its not a warm one on the 23rd Jan.

Eastdog
19-12-2015, 02:16 PM
The good thing is its in the morning so if it is going to be hot it won't be too hot during that time. One year it was in the afternoon and was very hot.

Eastdog
17-01-2016, 02:00 PM
23rd Jan Weather forecast

Mostly Sunny

16-28

So far looking like it will be a good day for it.

Eastdog
18-01-2016, 05:37 PM
2016 East Meets West Flyer

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/2016EastMeetsWestFlyer.pdf

LostDoggy
18-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Can't wait ;)

Eastdog
18-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Can't wait ;)

Very good flyer. I should be going so yeah looking forward to it as well.

bornadog
21-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Note event cancelled and new date set for March 31

LostDoggy
21-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Note event cancelled and new date set for March 31

Why?

Eastdog
21-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Why?

I have the same question as well. Quite short notice to be honest.

Bulldog4life
21-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Disappointing.

bornadog
21-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Why?

From Club email

In consultation with the East Meets West supporter group committee, this Saturday’s East Meets West Day has been rescheduled to 31 March — due to a late amendment to the football training program, leading into the Club’s annual training camp in Mooloolaba on Wednesday.

The Club apologises for any inconvenience to its members and appreciates the understanding and support of the East Meets West supporter group.

GVGjr
21-01-2016, 07:05 PM
In consultation with the East Meets West supporter group committee, this Saturday’s East Meets West Day has been rescheduled to 31 March — due to a late amendment to the football training program, leading into the Club’s annual training camp in Mooloolaba on Wednesday.

I was only talking to a work colleague today about this saying they had seemed to have crammed in a lot in a short space of time but I didn't anticipate this.

I feel for Gwen and the EWC team who put in a lot of work at keeping a strong Eastern suburbs Bulldogs community for our supporters but at least they don't miss out completely.

Doc26
21-01-2016, 08:06 PM

I was only talking to a work colleague today about this saying they had seemed to have crammed in a lot in a short space of time but I didn't anticipate this.

I feel for Gwen and the EWC team who put in a lot of work at keeping a strong Eastern suburbs Bulldogs community for our supporters but at least they don't miss out completely.

Just read this and feeling grumpy about the decision right now. Gave up an Australia Day long weekend event to make way for this for the kids and no chance now of rescheduling due such late notice. Hopefully it makes a difference based on the inconvenience that it has caused my fam.

divvydan
21-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Given last year's event was moved to the Whitten Oval and now this, it's difficult to come to any conclusion other than that the club treats the EWC with disdain. Really feel for those, like Doc, who had made plans around the date.

GVGjr
21-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Just read this and feeling grumpy about the decision right now. Gave up an Australia Day long weekend event to make way for this for the kids and no chance now of rescheduling due such late notice. Hopefully it makes a difference based on the inconvenience that it has caused my fam.

I didn't go and watch the training at the WO last weekend largely based on this weeks venue being about a leisurely 5 to 7 mins drive from place. I'm a bit curious why this need to change wasn't evident to the footy department a week or so earlier. Had I know this 7 days ago I would have ventured out to the WO last Saturday.

With our club pushing into other territory's to increase membership numbers and to address some financial challenges I fear that the old East meets West days are numbered in it's current format.
I hope the EWC doesn't lose the Legends and Young Guns night.

Eastdog
21-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Still important we keep doing our best getting our club out there in other metropolitan areas of Melbourne.

AndrewP6
21-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Terrible slight on the EWC, and us supporters on this side of town. I was telling someone today about going, and now I'm not. They seem to conveniently come up with excuses. Very, very poor form.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-01-2016, 10:23 PM

A very poor decision by the Football department with little respect for the East West Club, which has worked tirelessly over many years to financially support the Club.
To make a similar decision two years in a row at such short notice is very upsetting and smacks of arrogance.

Greystache
21-01-2016, 11:20 PM
The decision doesn't affect me but it's still incredibly disrespectful to our supporters. I think footy departments get so caught up in their own self-important bubbles they lose sight that it's the supporters who keep the club in existence.

They convince themselves the tiniest little things will make the difference but they are kidding themselves. If they think keeping a commitment for one Saturday will affect the upcoming season then they need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Very poor

always right
22-01-2016, 11:10 AM
They have a new focus on Ballarat but have really taken their eyes off the ball in Bulldogs' heartland....Wheelers Hill.

bornadog
22-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Bad planning by the club. They knew they were going to the Sunshine Coast, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. There were lots of opportunities to hold this over the past few weeks.

Eastdog
22-01-2016, 01:13 PM
They have a new focus on Ballarat but have really taken their eyes off the ball in Bulldogs' heartland....Wheelers Hill.

Yes Ballarat is more of the focus now but we still should focus on the East West Club as well which is a great opportunity to try and increase our support out in the eastern region as much as we can.

Eastdog
23-01-2016, 08:22 PM
A poster on our big footy forum said that there was a training session at WO this morning and Bevo asked if there were any East-West people there and he explained that they had to postpone Glen Waverley because the Wesley College ground wasn't up to scratch for the intense session that was required before we headed up north. They were blaming themselves and said they would happily go there but not under the current schedule.

AndrewP6
23-01-2016, 11:24 PM
A poster on our big footy forum said that there was a training session at WO this morning and Bevo asked if there were any East-West people there and he explained that they had to postpone Glen Waverley because the Wesley College ground wasn't up to scratch for the intense session that was required before we headed up north. They were blaming themselves and said they would happily go there but not under the current schedule.

Thanks Easty. Shame they couldn't have checked the suitability of the ground prior. Sounds like a bit of spin to me.

Cyberdoggie
25-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Hmm I highly doubt that.

The Wesley ovals look like bowling greens and are in better shape than the WO I would think.

After they did some major work on them a few years back during the drought they have been an oasis of picture perfect green grass year round. This is a top notch private school we are talking about here not a public oval.

I get the feeling they didn't want to do another public show and tell session as there are a few already.

I don't think Bevo is that fond of them personally, which I can understand.

bornadog
25-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Hmm I highly doubt that.

The Wesley ovals look like bowling greens and are in better shape than the WO I would think.

After they did some major work on them a few years back during the drought they have been an oasis of picture perfect green grass year round. This is a top notch private school we are talking about here not a public oval.

I get the feeling they didn't want to do another public show and tell session as there are a few already.

Perhaps, the East West club needs to rethink this event and organise something different. As you say, it's obvious Bevo is not interested.

Bulldog4life
25-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Perhaps, the East West club needs to rethink this event and organise something different. As you say, it's obvious Bevo is not interested.

Agree. It is difficult for the supporter to plan to go to these events when there is that doubt that it might be cancelled. It happened to us last year at The Peninsula Club. A night that was suddenly cancelled. Despite 2 emails to the Club I never received an answer either. Disappointing.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Maybe the best thing to do would be for the East West Club and our scheduling people at the club to decide on the best date during January for the club to come over. We have decent support out in the east and when I take the train in to games there is always a good few red white and blue around. We need to tap into as many markets as we can and events like the East West Day and entice potentially new supported of our club.

KT31
25-01-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks Eastie, I feel for those of you who are disappointed and could have made other plans but I would much rather a cancellation or a new date than a player going down with a knee or any injury.
I have played on many a ground that look lush, green and perfect from the sideline to only discover it was sub-par when running onto the surface.

bornadog
25-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Maybe the best thing to do would be for the East West Club and our scheduling people at the club to decide on the best date during January for the club to come over. We have decent support out in the east and when I take the train in to games there is always a good few red white and blue around. We need to tap into as many markets as we can and events like the East West Day and entice potentially new supported of our club.

My idea is to abandon the East West Training day and come up with a new event altogether. It obviously doesn't suit the players training on an unknown ground.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 03:31 PM
My idea is to abandon the East West Training day and come up with a new event altogether. It obviously doesn't suit the players training on an unknown ground.

What do you have in mind BAD?

bornadog
25-01-2016, 03:33 PM
What do you have in mind BAD?

I am not a marketing expert, but perhaps during school holidays have something similar to family day, but come up with something where kids and families meet the players.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 03:37 PM
I am not a marketing expert, but perhaps during school holidays have something similar to family day, but come up with something where kids and families meet the players.

So still have it at Wesley but not really have a training session more of a meet and greet of our playing group and maybe some speechs from the president, coaches etc.

bornadog
25-01-2016, 04:05 PM
So still have it at Wesley but not really have a training session more of a meet and greet of our playing group and maybe some speechs from the president, coaches etc.

Yes that is one way. Have some other fun things as well

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes that is one way. Have some other fun things as well

Could be a good idea.

GVGjr
25-01-2016, 06:18 PM

I get that but I question if the club would let LB shut down an organised session at Ballarat or another emerging supporter area.
To me this smacks of the East West day just not being seen as important to the club as other area's.

No problems if the EWC rejigs the day into something other than a training session but the club needs to have a serious think about what they expect rather than stuffing everyone around late in proceedings.

GVGjr
25-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks Eastie, I feel for those of you who are disappointed and could have made other plans but I would much rather a cancellation or a new date than a player going down with a knee or any injury.
I have played on many a ground that look lush, green and perfect from the sideline to only discover it was sub-par when running onto the surface.

Your making convenient excuses for the club who should have done their due diligence weeks beforehand rather than at the last minute. If there is a safety issue with the ground (and I don't think there is) then find a more suitable ground for next year and make sure it's on track 3, 2 and 1 week before the day.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Really we need to make time for Ballarat and the East West Club. Neither is less of a priority and need to be both respected.

GVGjr
25-01-2016, 06:29 PM

That's pure speculation and I think you are wrong. This is what is on the clubs site as the reason why it was changed:

The training program has been changed to accommodate another annual event with the East West Day moved to another date.

GVGjr
25-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Really we need to make time for Ballarat and the East West Club. Neither is less of a priority and need to be both respected.

I think it's pretty clear that the EW day isn't a priority now.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 06:41 PM
But on a Thursday in the middle of the working week will certainly not suit many unless that is when the school holidays are.

bornadog
25-01-2016, 06:55 PM
That's pure speculation and I think you are wrong. This is what is on the clubs site as the reason why it was changed:

The training program has been changed to accommodate another annual event with the East West Day moved to another date.

I am speculating, but I can see from the reasons given last year and this, Bevo doesn't want to train there.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 07:01 PM
I think it's pretty clear that the EW day isn't a priority now.

Your probably right GVG but except the last 2 years they came out with no problems as far as I know.

always right
25-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Hmm I highly doubt that.

W

Agree....was there the other day and the grounds are immaculate.

AndrewP6
25-01-2016, 09:17 PM
But on a Thursday in the middle of the working week will certainly not suit many unless that is when the school holidays are.

It's the first week of the school holidays. Shame for anyone who isn't on holidays then.

AndrewP6
25-01-2016, 09:21 PM
If training on it is such an issue (and I'm incredulous to think it is), then just have a meet and greet, autograph signing, photo opportunity sort of day. Take the "troublesome" training issue right out. Doing as they have done is a great slap in the face to supporters.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 09:29 PM
It's the first week of the school holidays. Shame for anyone who isn't on holidays then.

Yes good for the kids but harder to get there if the parents are working.

Eastdog
25-01-2016, 09:31 PM
If training on it is such an issue (and I'm incredulous to think it is), then just have a meet and greet, autograph signing, photo opportunity sort of day. Take the "troublesome" training issue right out. Doing as they have done is a great slap in the face to supporters.

That may be the solution in the end.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-01-2016, 11:20 PM

This was a public relations disaster by the Club for the thousands of Bulldog fans living in the Eastern Suburbs.
Can you imagine a similar decision being made if the venue had of been Ballarat instead of Glen Waverley.
After being let down two years in a row the East West Club is entitled to pull the plug on this event. A real slap in the face to so many loyal Bulldogs volunteers that give so much for the Club.

LostDoggy
25-01-2016, 11:48 PM
The reasons for pulling out just don't pass the smell test for mine. There is more to it.

Surely it is possible to find an appropriate footy ground somewhere in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

I think this huge market deserves a little more than a meet and greet.

Eastdog
26-01-2016, 12:37 AM
The reasons for pulling out just don't pass the smell test for mine. There is more to it.

Surely it is possible to find an appropriate footy ground somewhere in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

Yep I like what you are saying PP. The East West Club could change the venue to an oval out in the east which is in good quality preferable not too far from Wesley. When I went to the last one in 2014 it was a very good turnout but I feel that with better promotion of this event and really getting the word out there it could develop into something more better for us in reaching for new supporters.

Doc26
26-01-2016, 12:46 AM

Hmm I highly doubt that.

Wesley not being up to scratch is just utter bollocks if it is indeed true what Beveridge supposedly claimed.
Really poor form again :mad:

Eastdog
26-01-2016, 12:51 AM
Wesley not being up to scratch is just utter bollocks if it is indeed true what Beveridge supposedly claimed.
Really poor form again :mad:

Do you like what PP says about moving it to another bigger oval in the east. In saying that Wesley hasn't been a problem before.

GVGjr
26-01-2016, 01:03 AM

I don't think the venue is really the issue. They have trained there for years without it being a problem and I think many games are played in the VFL on inferior surfaces.

If our training programs have become so technical and tight that they can't afford the distraction of a trip out East each year then I hope the club just acknowledges that in a more timely manner rather than a couple of days before. I really don't have a problem with the event being cancelled but it's more around the timing of the announcement, the subsequent replacement date which is a poor compromise and the reasons given for the cancellation which isn't adding up with me.

GVGjr
26-01-2016, 01:06 AM
This was a public relations disaster by the Club for the thousands of Bulldog fans living in the Eastern Suburbs.
Can you imagine a similar decision being made if the venue had of been Ballarat instead of Glen Waverley.
After being let down two years in a row the East West Club is entitled to pull the plug on this event. A real slap in the face to so many loyal Bulldogs volunteers that give so much for the Club.

That's the issue for me. I don't think any of the new markets would be compromised especially Ballarat.
It's also the issue on the timing of the announcement which is questionable to me.

AndrewP6
26-01-2016, 01:23 AM
Do you like what PP says about moving it to another bigger oval in the east. In saying that Wesley hasn't been a problem before.

They don't even use the entire oval, it is just spin to say the venue wasn't suitable.

Greystache
26-01-2016, 01:38 AM
It's becoming a bit like one of the AFL's cover ups, put out a highly unlikely explanation for an outcome, then bury yourself deeper by trying to cover up the cover up. If clubs and the AFL were just honest occasionally then supporters might actually accept some of their decisions. Instead they think they can work both sides of a situation and keep everyone content, it doesn't work.

Eastdog
26-01-2016, 03:15 AM
They don't even use the entire oval, it is just spin to say the venue wasn't suitable.

Yep that's true only a small bit of it is used. Maybe that's what we need to do is utilise the whole oval there and not just small bit - just spread out more.

bornadog
26-01-2016, 10:55 AM
It's becoming a bit like one of the AFL's cover ups, put out a highly unlikely explanation for an outcome, then bury yourself deeper by trying to cover up the cover up. If clubs and the AFL were just honest occasionally then supporters might actually accept some of their decisions. Instead they think they can work both sides of a situation and keep everyone content, it doesn't work.

If they came out and simply said, look we are sorry, we *!*!*!*!ed up didn't plan this right but we will make it up to fans by doing blah blah blah, then we can in turn understand. As you say, by trying to cover it up, they just dig a bigger hole for themselves.

jeemak
26-01-2016, 11:52 AM
It certainly doesn't pass the sniff test, this one.

Agree with BAD and 'stache, in that stepping up to the plate and admitting a mistake rather than taking what should be a valued segment of the supporter base for mugs wouldn't have done any damage.

I don't frequent the grounds of Wesley College Glen Waverley so can't talk to the level of access available, but my guess would be that there'd have been plenty of opportunities to check the suitability of the playing surface and source updates of its progress since school holidays began - while keeping the EWC informed of any concerns.

This sounds like a classic case of football people displaying hubris and being completely out of touch with what fans value. Whilst attending training or club functions has never been and most likely won't ever by my thing, I know it means a lot to others, many of whom can't get to the Whitten Oval and or functions for practical and economical reasons alike. For it to happen two years in a row beggars belief.

AndrewP6
26-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Yep that's true only a small bit of it is used. Maybe that's what we need to do is utilise the whole oval there and not just small bit - just spread out more.

With respect Easty, I think it's safe to say the oval really isn't the issue.

Eastdog
26-01-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't think they can use the weather excuse it was hot as last Saturday was quite a nice day.

Eastdog
26-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Hopefully next year the PR people at the club get it right.

F'scary
27-01-2016, 07:38 PM
I think Bevo is on to something top secret with regards to the rule changes. He has worked out things that most of the other coaches haven't or (in the case of Buckley et al) won't. This incident is very unfortunate but I just have that feeling that he is implementing some serious changes and needs all available hours to achieve it. We will see the results on the scoreboard in 2016.

LostDoggy
27-01-2016, 08:36 PM
The whole thing is a disgrace. I cannot begain to explain my disappointment in the club and the total disregard for us out East.��