PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen Few

SlimPickens
29-09-2015, 09:44 PM
On channel 7 at 9.30pm tonight. Access to club captains during the year. Looks very good.

Ozza
30-09-2015, 10:12 AM
It was pretty good.

Did you notice that G Ablett was the only club captain who didn't get involved in the production.

Rocket Science
30-09-2015, 10:40 AM
It was pretty good.

Did you notice that G Ablett was the only club captain who didn't get involved in the production.

Circa Caroline Wilson...

Gold Coast Suns pressured Gary Ablett after refusing captains documentary (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold-coast-suns-pressured-gary-ablett-after-refusing-captains-documentary-20150925-gjvc2w.html)

"Gary Ablett's decision to snub the 2015 AFL captains documentary came despite late entreaties from Gold Coast chiefs and has upset key Suns' directors working to rebuild the club's damaged reputation in football's heartland.

Gold Coast CEO Andrew Travis and his football lieutenant Marcus Ashcroft met Ablett in June upon learning from the creator of The Chosen Few 2 that Ablett had refused to take part in the film, to be featured on Channel Seven on Tuesday night.

In an indication of Ablett's poor relationship with the club at the time, the captain refused to budge, pleading the significant demands upon his time and the number of commitments he had to honour.

It is understood that the dual Brownlow medallist had been planning a separate documentary involving his comeback from a serious shoulder injury suffered against Collingwood in July 2014.

Ablett's leadership has come into question on a number of occasions this year as the club battled a number of on- and off-field disasters.

The club was forced to lean on the champion to play a stronger role in the face of poor player discipline and also intervened to insist Ablett attend all Gold Coast games while injured. While Ablett's off-field leadership has been seen to have vastly improved in the second half of the season, the timing of next week's documentary, produced by Peter Dickson, has again disenchanted some board members and raised the question of his ongoing captaincy.

Those close to the documentary felt Ablett's explanations were unreasonable given the various traumas and issues undergone by other club captains this year while they still agreed to take part.

It has been speculated that Ablett could lose the Gold Coast captaincy next season or share the role with Michael Rischitelli or the emerging Tom Lynch."

bornadog
30-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Time to get a new Captain at GC

LostDoggy
30-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Just caught this show. Really enjoyed it; quite candid at times and a real insight.

Bob came across great as expected, others to particularly impress were Riewoldt, Tex, Watson and Pavlich.

Cotchin decidedly unimpressive, Rockliff and Hurn pretty underwhelming.

westdog54
30-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Just caught this show. Really enjoyed it; quite candid at times and a real insight.

Bob came across great as expected, others to particularly impress were Riewoldt, Tex, Watson and Pavlich.

Cotchin decidedly unimpressive, Rockliff and Hurn pretty underwhelming.

In spite of all the controversy surrounding him and the club, I think Jobe Watson is the one Essendon person that has handled himself superbly throughout.

Tex has grown on me. I was genuinely surprised when he was picked as Captain but obviously his club knows him far better than the rest of us.

boydogs
30-09-2015, 08:09 PM
I think Jobe Watson is the one Essendon person that has handled himself superbly throughout

Didn't he go to England for the Ashes instead of supporting his team mates this year though?

westdog54
30-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Didn't he go to England for the Ashes instead of supporting his team mates this year though?

I didn't make too much of that to be honest.

boydogs
30-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I didn't make too much of that to be honest.

I didn't think it showed much leadership having your captain come out and say he has lost his passion for the game, then go overseas in the middle of the year instead taking up a support role at the club

comrade
30-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Watson speaks very well and is destined for good things post footy.

As much as I hate him on field, Riewoldt is a quality leader of men.

Might be unfair, but with Cotchin at the helm I can't see the Tigers going anywhere. Same for GWS; Ward's huddle speech was pathetic as was Davis' expletive riddled pissy fit.

Greystache
30-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Watson speaks very well and is destined for good things post footy.

As much as I hate him on field, Riewoldt is a quality leader of men.

Might be unfair, but with Cotchin at the helm I can't see the Tigers going anywhere. Same for GWS; Ward's huddle speech was pathetic as was Davis' expletive riddled pissy fit.

Totally agree with all of that.

Richmond play in a final the way I'd expect them to with Cotchin as their captain. He's as mild as can be and it's no surprise he goes into hiding when it gets tough. M Murphy is a bit the same.

Davis looks to be massively overcompensating for his lack of on field talent. Ward is just a cement had :)

Rockliff seemed like a Bogan who had the job because no one else was up to it.

Greystache
01-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Did anyone see Sandy Roberts' the wordsmith? What a pile of shit. I guess it was supposed to be a funny mocumentry, it was just lame.

ledge
01-10-2015, 03:58 AM
Best thing Sandy Roberts ever did was the interview with EJ out on the street and EJ giving it to all the callers, I think that should be resurrected with names changed to current commentators.

azabob
01-10-2015, 07:42 AM
I thought Pendleberry also came across as a bit of a I'm too cool for all of this. I was most surprised at Riewoldt, I have a whole new appreciation for him now.

For me Pavlich, Riewoldt, Watson, McVeigh and R.Murphy were the best to listen to. The rest were fairly mundane.

Hotdog60
01-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Did anyone see Sandy Roberts' the wordsmith? What a pile of shit. I guess it was supposed to be a funny mocumentry, it was just lame.

Watched the first 10 minutes and then turned it off.

westdog54
01-10-2015, 09:01 AM
I thought Pendleberry also came across as a bit of a I'm too cool for all of this. I was most surprised at Riewoldt, I have a whole new appreciation for him now.

For me Pavlich, Riewoldt, Watson, McVeigh and R.Murphy were the best to listen to. The rest were fairly mundane.

Irrespective of the rubbish that StKilda has produced, Riewoldt has always struck me as a leader of men who'll do anything for his troops. He's very articulate when he's in the media.

Pav is just Pav, one of the finest people in football.

KT31
01-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Best thing Sandy Roberts ever did was the interview with EJ out on the street and EJ giving it to all the callers, I think that should be resurrected with names changed to current commentators.

This one Ledge ?

WARNING : Video contains very offensive language and prejudice content .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGKswIGIzg

KT31
01-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Pav is just Pav, one of the finest people in football.

I've posted it before, Pav is one of my favorite non-Bulldog players of all time, right up there with Jezza, Flower, Couta, Dermi and Barker.
He is a gun, wears his heart on his sleeve and is the Chris Grant of their club.

I will reserve my thoughts on Riewoldt until I see the doco, but it would have to take a fair bit for me to form a favorable opinion of him.

bornadog
01-10-2015, 10:04 AM
This one Ledge ?

:D You weren't wrong about the language :D

Hotdog60
01-10-2015, 10:48 AM
This one Ledge ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGKswIGIzg

Well that's a side of EJ I've never seen before. :)

Ozza
01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Its a real shame that this video of EJ came out a couple of years ago.