PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Membership Thread - Can we break the current all time Bulldog record again

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Here's a little fact about our membership some might find interesting. I was told yesterday that last year we had a combination of 231 player sponsors memberships and this year it's over 280. That's an incredible number in itself.

Now that they have merged the player sponsors with the past players on game days to quote Frank Costanza it's going to be "the place to be"

jeemak
28-03-2016, 10:42 PM
So yesterday if you bought a membership did they give the member cards then on the spot or I believe there is a waiting period when you receive it.

They give you a ticket appropriate for the membership on the day, and the card will either be mailed to you or you can collect it as ledge did.

Webby
28-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Here's a little fact about our membership some might find interesting. I was told yesterday that last year we had a combination of 231 player sponsors memberships and this year it's over 280. That's an incredible number in itself.

Now that they have merged the player sponsors with the past players on game days to quote Frank Costanza it's going to be "the place to be"

I noticed yesterday that there were a lot more player sponsors listed against each player. These are the type of quality memberships that make a big difference. As I've banged on about earlier, one 3 game member (~$60) and one player sponsor member (~$1,700) both equal one member.

The message from Dave Stevenson at the season launch that we've already exceeded our entire 2015 membership revenue was strong evidence that the members we already have are digging deeper into their pockets. Good signs!

Eastdog
28-03-2016, 10:56 PM
They give you a ticket appropriate for the membership on the day, and the card will either be mailed to you or you can collect it as ledge did.

Ok cool yep got mine all done before Christmas last year :)

merantau
30-03-2016, 08:34 AM
My wife signed up yesterday, Social Club too. They were very busy on the phones - good sign.

bornadog
30-03-2016, 09:54 AM

GVGjr
30-03-2016, 07:53 PM

I know we are well ahead of last year but to me this still isn't a great number. For the life of me I can't fathom why so many wait so long to join.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 12:17 AM
I know we are well ahead of last year but to me this still isn't a great number. For the life of me I can't fathom why so many wait so long to join.

Agree, especially since we are the lowest VIC club, not a good number overall.

Saints 35,009
Dees 35,319
North 38,629

1eyedog
31-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Are we counting 3 game memberships?

bornadog
31-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Are we counting 3 game memberships?

I think they are counted.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Saints 35,009
Dees 35,319
North 38,629

You would have to think that only sustained success will see us compete with the cellar dwellers. The Saints have the Southern region and the Dees are able to capture many of the MCC Members. North may well be gaining some disillusioned Bomber fans. We simply need to do better in the Western Region, particularly with its huge population growth.

G-Mo77
31-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Saints 35,009
Dees 35,319
North 38,629

Webby's posts keep getting ignored about this. I'll take our number over Norf's with a ton of 3 gamers from down in Tassie.

Eastdog
31-03-2016, 05:04 PM
True what you say NBP. We need take advantage of the catchment area as well as gain new support from other regions of the city outside the catchment area (eg: things like the East West Days etc). Ballarat in the future hopefully if we do it right could potentially gain us more supporters/members.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Saints 35,009
Dees 35,319
North 38,629

This is not a go against you BAD but personally I think we should concentrate on increasing our own membership rather than worrying about others. As long as we increase ours every year I will be happy,

bornadog
31-03-2016, 06:24 PM
This is not a go against you BAD but personally I think we should concentrate on increasing our own membership rather than worrying about others. As long as we increase ours every year I will be happy,

I get what you mean, but this list shows how pathetic our supporters still are. I believe we have more supporters than both North and Melbourne and perhaps the equal of the Saints, yet there are still those that won't put their hand in their pocket. I do understand many families in the West are economically strained, but this region is the fastest growing in practically the whole country.

I think it is a big concern and to be 5000 behind the second lowest in Melbourne, that actually kills me as a loyal supporter. You know Richmond haven't played in a GF for 36 years and very few finals, yet their membership sits at 70,000.

Last year we had over 36,000. You would think at minimum, all of those would have signed up by now.

Rant over..... :D

Edit: Currently on 31,019

Axe Man
31-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I believe we have more supporters than both North and Melbourne and perhaps the equal of the Saints

According to this from Roy Morgan in 2014 we had around 208,000 supporters - about the same as North (209,000), a little ahead of Melbourne (191,000), but miles behind St Kilda (354,000).

Link (http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5838-afl-supporteres-2014-201409260552)

I think our supporter to member ratio isn't too bad.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 11:17 PM
According to this from Roy Morgan in 2014 we had around 208,000 supporters - about the same as North (209,000), a little ahead of Melbourne (191,000), but miles behind St Kilda (354,000).

Link (http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5838-afl-supporteres-2014-201409260552)

I think our supporter to member ratio isn't too bad.

Yeah, do you believe that list, I certainly don't.

The Adelaide Connection
01-04-2016, 12:43 AM
I discovered tonight that the Ticketmaster site (who look after our memberships) is currently down. A bit of a google search reveals it is not an isolated incident. I imagine there would be a few people trying to get their memberships sorted before the next home game (Saturday week) so I hope the club is putting some pressure on them to get it sorted. May be the reason numbers have stalled a little in the last few days.

1eyedog
01-04-2016, 01:07 AM
I discovered tonight that the Ticketmaster site (who look after our memberships) is currently down. A bit of a google search reveals it is not an isolated incident. I imagine there would be a few people trying to get their memberships sorted before the next home game (Saturday week) so I hope the club is putting some pressure on them to get it sorted. May be the reason numbers have stalled a little in the last few days.

You can just ring the club. My uncle added social club to his silver membership on Monday and had no wait time over the phone.

The Adelaide Connection
01-04-2016, 01:49 AM
You can just ring the club. My uncle added social club to his silver membership on Monday and had no wait time over the phone.

I have the 'Bulldogs for Life' arrangement so I don't actually need to do anything, but I imagine there are plenty out there that would. I have read on here that ringing the club is a pretty smooth process etc. but to be honest I think there is a huge percentage of people that phoning up would not be a part of their DNA and would be looking for the online option. The site is back up thankfully.

Axe Man
01-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Yeah, do you believe that list, I certainly don't.

It's the best approximation I have seen and most of the figures certainly seem reasonable to me, other than St Kilda a bit higher and Melbourne a bit lower than I would have thought. Would probably expect a few more Hawks as well.

Living in country Victoria I know fewer Bulldogs supporters than any other Victorian team.

1eyedog
01-04-2016, 11:08 AM
I have the 'Bulldogs for Life' arrangement so I don't actually need to do anything, but I imagine there are plenty out there that would. I have read on here that ringing the club is a pretty smooth process etc. but to be honest I think there is a huge percentage of people that phoning up would not be a part of their DNA and would be looking for the online option. The site is back up thankfully.

Yep my post was meant in a general sense. I prefer to make the call and have a voice on the other end of the phone confirming my needs, but I'm old and I know young people today prefer to click than speak.

Daughter of the West
02-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Congratulations, hope you are enjoying motherhood (presuming its your first)

Thanks Bornadog (and everyone). Yup, it's our first and motherhood is lovely, but oh so very different to my highly planned and structured former life as an accountant!

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Well I'm hoping we streak toward 35k from here. We've hit a bit of brick wall. It seems only a premiership will drive us to 40k. I can't believe how slow we are moving on membership sales. Its very disappointing. They'll be gutted when they don't have the option of buying a GF ticket.

bornadog
04-04-2016, 10:50 PM

Very slow progress, hopefully more sign up this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Why on earth would you not sign up?

I'll never understand our supporters.

1eyedog
06-04-2016, 03:29 PM
We should be high 30s by now. On the back of 36k last year and given our current form we should really be 40k. What are the 5k who signed up last year waiting for?

Scraggers
06-04-2016, 03:46 PM
We should be high 30s by now. On the back of 36k last year and given our current form we should really be 40k. What are the 5k who signed up last year waiting for?

Money? Things are tight ... people will still be wanting to join up but have to wait until a few bills have been paid. There are people out there that hate the monthly payments and prefer to pay it one lump sum.

bornadog
06-04-2016, 04:09 PM
This year: 31,762

Last Year: 27,800 (by 10 April)

Ozza
06-04-2016, 04:20 PM
2nd home game this weekend, should see a bump up in membership numbers.

Smads57
06-04-2016, 07:19 PM
For the first time in years (going back to 1997) that I have both a brother and sister wanting to come to the footy this week with me - will try to sell them the idea of a 3 game membership and go from there....

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-04-2016, 09:32 PM
This year: 31,762

Last Year: 27,800 (by 10 April)

Sunday's game against Hawthorn becomes critical as a win I am confident will see a further lift in memberships. I would like to think that should we win then you would hope to see us reach 33,000 plus, which would represent a 20% increase over your quoted figure of 27,800 last year as at 10 April. The Club needs to then blitz Western Region shopping centres plus an urgent telemarketing campaign on lapsed members. The media coverage we are now getting is enormous and it is important to urgently take advantage of the current surge.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2016, 12:59 PM
I quickly spoke to David Stephenson at the East meets West day last week and he said that we were tracking at 22% above the same time last year and the most encouraging part is that the yield ($ per membership) was up due to more people buying social club memberships ..... people are starting to believe!

Murphy'sLore
07-04-2016, 01:04 PM
It sounds as if existing members are upgrading, which is great, but I wonder what proportion of that number is new members or lost dogs returning? I'd hate to think we've reached our ceiling in terms of pure numbers... Come on, Doggies supporters, sign up, what are you waiting for?

Cyberdoggie
07-04-2016, 01:12 PM
It sounds as if existing members are upgrading, which is great, but I wonder what proportion of that number is new members or lost dogs returning? I'd hate to think we've reached our ceiling in terms of pure numbers... Come on, Doggies supporters, sign up, what are you waiting for?

If your a bulldogs supporter than you know the pain and history associated. Some people out there are loyal and steadfast and stick no matter what, others are hoppers that are on and off the bandwagon, it's just human nature i'm afraid.

This surge in membership always happens after a rebuilding when people can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel but without that ultimate success I think we won't make huge in-roads into increasing our membership numbers.
A premiership would get a very large monkey off our backs and change attitudes and opinions very quickly.

bornadog
08-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Cracked 32k now.

GVGjr
09-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Cracked 32k now.

If we are fortunate enough to beat the Hawks on Sunday I'm wondering if our membership numbers are still as important?
Perhaps the best indication of our strength is how many people actually get to the games. We had an exceptional 28K to the Freo game which was about 10K more than previous years and if we get an expected 40K (plus) to the Hawks game that could be quite an achievement especially given we have been traditionally poor at attending Sunday games.

Don't get me wrong I'd love us to get 40K Bulldog memberships but if people are somehow attending our games in vastly superior numbers to previous seasons it might transition into acceptable gate receipts and balance things out.

KT31
10-04-2016, 07:50 PM
After today's effort , one would hope we would sign a few more up this week.

ledge
10-04-2016, 08:57 PM
46,800 there today , brilliant, a few memberships I would think.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 08:58 PM
A win today and the membership phone line would've been busy all week. Hopefully a few more want to get on the bandwagon.

Greystache
10-04-2016, 09:08 PM
A win today and the membership phone line would've been busy all week. Hopefully a few more want to get on the bandwagon.

Possibly, but I'm not convinced on that. Those that are excited we just lost and think next time will be different are probably already members. Those thinking about joining the bandwagon might see it as another loss when we should've made a statement and use it as an excuse not to sign up.

Win today and everyone might think this time it could finally different. Lose in a close game and it's same old same old.

soupman
10-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Possibly, but I'm not convinced on that. Those that are excited we just lost and think next time will be different are probably already members. Those thinking about joining the bandwagon might see it as another loss when we should've made a statement and use it as an excuse not to sign up.

Win today and everyone might think this time it could finally different. Lose in a close game and it's same old same old.

Unfortunately we have a large contingent of "supporters" who are kings of finding the reason not to sign amidst the countless reasons that the rest of us see.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately we have a large contingent of "supporters" who are kings of finding the reason not to sign amidst the countless reasons that the rest of us see.

This. It shits me to tears. But the game gets shut down a minute earlier, we win and Bob's career might not be over then there's a few less reasons. We need to spank Carlton this week.

Greystache
10-04-2016, 09:22 PM

In fairness there wouldn't be many sporting organisations in the world who continually failed to deliver any form of success yet can still boast 35,000 members in a city crowded with more successful clubs. It's actually an incredible effort.

We say supporters find excuses to not sign up, but you could just as easily say the club keeps producing reasons not to. As I said, win today and it could be a new paradigm, lose and it's same old Footscray for many.

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Finey is encouraging our supporters to join up.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
In fairness there wouldn't be many sporting organisations in the world who continually failed to deliver any form of success yet can still boast 35,000 members in a city crowded with more successful clubs. It's actually an incredible effort.

We say supporters find excuses to not sign up, but you could just as easily say the club keeps producing reasons not to. As I said, win today and it could be a new paradigm, lose and it's same old Footscray for many.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Not everybody is a diehard supporter. As is with life, people will find reasons not to do something - we give them plenty.

Belting Carlton might be fun but it's not the answer. We need real success before we can realistically see any kind of genuine spike in membership.

Ozza
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM

You'll find that they are called 'barrackers'....not supporters.

A lot of people call themselves 'Bulldogs supporters'....I'm sorry, but if you're not a member - then by definition, you're not a supporter.

1eyedog
12-04-2016, 12:37 PM
We've gone backwards since our performance on Sunday.

bornadog
12-04-2016, 03:30 PM
We've gone backwards since our performance on Sunday.

1eyedog
12-04-2016, 03:54 PM

When I looked this morning it was sub-32k. Must have been a typo

KT31
13-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Just rang the club to upgrade my two Pups memberships and a young bloke answered the phone and said, "Jake speaking".

I said," gee that's harsh mate, one shit game and you have to answer the phones."

It was received with silence.:)

bornadog
13-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Just rang the club to upgrade my two Pups memberships and a young bloke answered the phone and said, "Jake speaking".

I said," gee that's harsh mate, one shit game and you have to answer the phones."

It was received with silence.:)

I don't think he got your humour :D

bornadog
14-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Murphy'sLore
14-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Can't see it going up much higher. If you're not going to join up after last weekend, you never will.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Stopped to a crawl.

Disappointing, yet unsurprising.

Axe Man
14-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Can't see it going up much higher. If you're not going to join up after last weekend, you never will.

We are over 4000 ahead of the same time last year, and we ended up with over 35,000 members. The numbers always continue to increase right up to the cut off around the end of June. I have no idea why so many people buy memberships well into the season, but they do.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 02:12 PM
We are over 4000 ahead of the same time last year, and we ended up with over 35,000 members. The numbers always continue to increase right up the the cut off around the end of June. I have no idea why so many people buy memberships well into the season, but they do.

The Gordon family, Gordon Legal & Slater and Gordon have still got to purchase 5,000 memberships. We'll be fine.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Yes they usually step up with a lazy five grand just to keep things ticking along

Ozza
14-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Last year Alan Johnstone bought 1000 memberships....I wonder if he renewed, and that is in the 32,000-odd.

GVGjr
14-04-2016, 07:29 PM
We are over 4000 ahead of the same time last year, and we ended up with over 35,000 members. The numbers always continue to increase right up to the cut off around the end of June. I have no idea why so many people buy memberships well into the season, but they do.

That's true. Perhaps the fact that so many signed up earlier than normal might mean it will be a real slow crawl over the next few weeks.

I'm more focused on how many people we get to the games and so far it's been excellent. We've got some good games ahead of us so I hope we can maintain improved crowds from last season.

1eyedog
14-04-2016, 07:59 PM

4000 memberships would likely be over a mills worth. Good to have it banked. That's Boydy sorted for the year.

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:52 AM

5 rounds in, second on the ladder and one loss by 3 points and we have a miserly 33k members. Just don't get it?

always right
25-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Every year...wash, rinse, repeat.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 11:24 AM

5 rounds in, second on the ladder and one loss by 3 points and we have a miserly 33k members. Just don't get it?

Like you I don't quite understand it but at least our supporters have joined earlier than previous seasons and are coming to the games in far better numbers. This is not necessarily a bad set of numbers for us.

A win against the Kangaroos might give it another push.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Like you I don't quite understand it but at least our supporters have joined earlier than previous seasons and are coming to the games in far better numbers. This is not necessarily a bad set of numbers for us.

A win against the Kangaroos might give it another push.

I don't think the big choke against the Crows helped = same old dogs. I think its wait and see for many supporters. If we win a final or two this year I think there's potential for 40k next season. Good thing is Social Club has maxed out.

bornadog
25-04-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't think the big choke against the Crows helped = same old dogs. I think its wait and see for many supporters. If we win a final or two this year I think there's potential for 40k next season. Good thing is Social Club has maxed out.

Social club was jammed packed on Saturday night, might need to expand the room.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 12:00 PM

The Players Sponsors group is also massively up on previous years so maybe or supporters are digging a bit deeper with how much they spend on their memberships.

I'd love to be seeing us with 36,000 members right now but I'm hopeful that given the attendances by our fans this year are stronger than previous seasons the club isn't writing big cheques to Etihad after each home game.

Back to BAD's point, I don't think the club could a lot more to educate our supporters on how memberships benefit the club and we have a number of payment options that also assist so given all that we might just have to accept that around 36,000 is as good as we will do unless we become a force in the finals.

Perhaps there is a way that the club can offer some value add ons to membership packages that might entice some members to spend a bit more.

It must be tough on PG and the team to get more members and sponsors etc when they are getting so much right at the club

SonofScray
25-04-2016, 12:24 PM
I wonder how much growth a flag that wags will be off set by people taking a break, or calling it day after fighting through the drought for so long?

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I wonder how much growth a flag that wags will be off set by people taking a break, or calling it day after fighting through the drought for so long?

I was thinking of this the other day, I could imagine there would be some that say "Yep that's all I wanted" and not bother too much again.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 12:32 PM
I was thinking of this the other day, I could imagine there would be some that say "Yep that's all I wanted" and not bother too much again.

North's membership numbers went down immediately after their flags in the 90s.

SonofScray
25-04-2016, 12:37 PM

I think we need to sell the opportunity for a bit of vengeance/payback etc. Lets win one and experience the joy and elation, then a handful more in quick succession to step on the necks of the football world who have slagged us off for many years.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 12:42 PM
I think we need to sell the opportunity for a bit of vengeance/payback etc. Lets win one and experience the joy and elation, then a handful more in quick succession to step on the necks of the football world who have slagged us off for many years.

Yeah I remember Cam Mooney saying the first one was for the club and each other, the second for the fans etc.

I'm happy for that as long as the third one is for all the past players and then the fourth for Ross Oakley.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Great selling point. We owe a few sides a a couple of backhanders :)

ledge
25-04-2016, 02:22 PM
A lot of them obviously bulldogs for life so membership looks great early.

Eastdog
25-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Social club was jammed packed on Saturday night, might need to expand the room.

It sure was packed BAD and there were long lines for beers at half time.

Axe Man
27-04-2016, 05:20 PM
+1 Baby Bulldog Member with Axe Man Junior joining the world last Monday (better known as Hamish).
http://s32.postimg.org/57jqdalhh/Hamish.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

bornadog
27-04-2016, 05:24 PM
+1 Baby Bulldog Member with Axe Man Junior joining the world last Monday (better known as Hamish).

Congratulations - now the fun begins.

KT31
27-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Congrats on the little Tomahawk to both you and Mrs Axe Man and hope all are healthy.

Eastdog
27-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Congratulations Axe Man and Mrs. Axe Man.

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Congrats to the both of you Axe Man.
Hope bubs is all good and healthy?

anfo27
27-04-2016, 09:53 PM
http://s32.postimg.org/57jqdalhh/Hamish.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Congrats Axeman thats great news. Good luck and say good bye to sleep.

Bulldog4life
28-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Congrats Axeman. May he be the first of many little bulldog supporters in your home.:)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Congrats to you and your partner Axeman and welcome Axeman Jr!

Daughter of the West
28-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Congratulations Mr and Mrs Axe Man! I hope your pup is giving you a little bit of sleep, whatta cutie!

Axe Man
28-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone. Mum and Hamish are doing well. I'm hoping he will be playing ruck or key position for the Dogs in 18 odd years time given he was in the 98th percentile for height and weight. My own lack of height will probably count against him though.

Congrats Axeman. May he be the first of many little bulldog supporters in your home.:)

He's actually the third little bulldog supporter and member after the dog and our 2.5 year old daughter. I have to be vigilant though to ward off the evil advances of my Adelaide supporting wife and her family.

always right
28-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Mum and Hamish are doing well. I'm hoping he will be playing ruck or key position for the Dogs in 18 odd years time given he was in the 98th percentile for height and weight. My own lack of height will probably count against him though.

He's actually the third little bulldog supporter and member after the dog and our 2.5 year old daughter. I have to be vigilant though to ward off the evil advances of my Adelaide supporting wife and her family..

Stay strong Axe........marriages come and go but your club allegiance is forever.

1eyedog
29-04-2016, 06:53 PM

It has basically stopped growing. :confused:

bornadog
04-05-2016, 02:32 PM

last year 30,994

Ozza
04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
We seem to keep increasing by roughly 300 members a week. If we can keep up that pace - should be 35K by the end of may, and over 36K by the end of June.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2016, 04:51 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-05-04/sutton-premiership-circle-membership-launched

The Western Bulldogs have launched the Charles Sutton Premiership Circle, a new and exclusive top-tier membership package that guarantees best available reserved seating grand final ticket — should the Bulldogs participate.

Valued members of The EJ Whitten Social Club will continue to have access to tickets to the Grand Final, if the Bulldogs participate — ranging from standing room to reserved seating in a ballot process (standard across the AFL).

However, to guarantee members with the best available reserved seating along with additional extras, the Club has introduced the Charles Sutton Premiership Circle, strictly limited to 2,000 places.

Epitomising the Bulldog ‘never-say-die’ attitude on the field, Sutton was one of the most feared players of his era. Sutton’s legacy is still part of the Bulldogs spirit today and his memory remains close to the hearts of every member of the Bulldogs family.

It is therefore fitting that this top-tier membership package carries Charlie Sutton’s name.

Members of the new Charles Sutton Premiership Circle will receive:

- Access to purchase the best available reserved seat^ for a Grand Final if the Bulldogs are a competing club

- A limited edition Charles Sutton Premiership Circle collectors medallion (not available for retail purchase)

- Certificate of participation in the inaugural year of the Charles Sutton Premiership Circle

- $20.00 Bulldogs Shop online voucher

Axe Man
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Not sure I like that.

Where a social club membership used to give you a chance at a random seat allocation - could be a prime seat or nosebleed - now the best 2000 seats would go to the premiership circle and the rest of us will get the scraps.

I know it's first world problems - I would happily watch from an MCG light tower if it meant seeing the Bulldogs play in a Grand Final - but it diminishes the value of a social club membership.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Not sure I like that.

Where a social club membership used to give you a chance at a random seat allocation - could be a prime seat or nosebleed - now the best 2000 seats would go to the premiership circle and the rest of us will get the scraps.

I know it's first world problems - I would happily watch from an MCG light tower if it meant seeing the Bulldogs play in a Grand Final - but it diminishes the value of a social club membership.

Or you might get only a standing room ticket. I though initially a social club membership gave you a seat to the grand final until I read this article.

Axe Man
04-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Or you might get only a standing room ticket. I though initially a social club membership gave you a seat to the grand final until I read this article.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember last time I entered the grand final ticket ballot in 2010 (you had to enter prior to the prelim) you could specify no standing room tickets as naturally some people would be unable to stand for that length of time.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
What's the damage of the Sutton add on?

Scraggers
04-05-2016, 06:19 PM
He's actually the third little bulldog supporter and member after the dog and our 2.5 year old daughter. I have to be vigilant though to ward off the evil advances of my Adelaide supporting wife and her family.

Congrats Axe Man !!!

Yes, be vigilant !!
I lost my daughter to the Dockers (Her mother and grandparents are Dockers) ... Every game the Dockers lose, I keep telling her "Come to the Bark-Side" My son is a Bulldog ... He Woofs at her every time the Dockers lose !!

Bulldog4life
04-05-2016, 06:24 PM
I could be wrong but I seem to remember last time I entered the grand final ticket ballot in 2010 (you had to enter prior to the prelim) you could specify no standing room tickets as naturally some people would be unable to stand for that length of time.

Yes I think I remember that too. Hope things haven't changed.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
An extra $100 if you are an existing social club member think I'll take my chances

Eastdog
05-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Not sure I like that.

I have a similar attitude as well Axe Man. A standing room ticket is fine with me for the GF if we make it of course. We have to remember if we do make it many of our fans will miss out who don't have the necessary add ons. EJ Whitten Social club while not a guaranteed reserved seat will still guarantee you some form of GF ticket whether its standing or sitting.

SonofScray
05-05-2016, 11:36 PM
I am concerned about the way they've gone about this and the potentially diminished value of my social club membership. Seems like a very cynical cash grab which should have come into effect in the next membership program if they wanted to introduce, not after I've already purchased a product that if now impacted by its introduction.

Feel like I am being gouged for a few extra dollars.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2016, 12:36 AM
I am concerned about the way they've gone about this and the potentially diminished value of my social club membership. Seems like a very cynical cash grab which should have come into effect in the next membership program if they wanted to introduce, not after I've already purchased a product that if now impacted by its introduction.

Yep - can't say I am happy about it either, if it is what it seems to be.

LostDoggy
06-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Yep this ^^ I haven't seen any correspondence from the club r/e this. I was always of the view SC membership guaranteed a GF ticket should we make it (its the main reason I get SC - I don't really uptake any of the other benefits of SC). This should have been done at the end of last season at membership renewal.

bornadog
06-05-2016, 09:47 AM

I know I am being gouged, but I am also happy to give to the club - but that's me.

soupman
06-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Yep this ^^ I haven't seen any correspondence from the club r/e this. I was always of the view SC membership guaranteed a GF ticket should we make it (its the main reason I get SC - I don't really uptake any of the other benefits of SC). This should have been done at the end of last season at membership renewal.

You still are guaranteed a ticket, it's just you won't have access to the best tickets the club gets allocated as they will go to people who pay extra, so you are more likely to get put in the nosebleeds or standing room etc. At least thats how I interpret it.

1eyedog
06-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Honestly don't give a shite as long as I'm there to live the day.

Eastdog
06-05-2016, 03:59 PM
You still are guaranteed a ticket, it's just you won't have access to the best tickets the club gets allocated as they will go to people who pay extra, so you are more likely to get put in the nosebleeds or standing room etc. At least thats how I interpret it.

Yep priority 2 social club members. Agree with SOS would have been much better to be introduced right at the start.

Greystache
06-05-2016, 04:00 PM
We haven't made a grand final in more than half a century. I'm not exactly working myself into a lather about where my seat will be located if we ever make one.

Scraggers
06-05-2016, 04:01 PM
We haven't made a grand final in more than half a century. I'm not exactly working myself into a lather about where my seat will be located if we ever make one.

You could suspend me from light tower six ... I'd still be over the moon to be there

Eastdog
06-05-2016, 04:02 PM
You could suspend me from light tower six ... I'd still be over the moon to be there

Ha ha love it!

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2016, 04:31 PM

What if after all the massive build up, you are peeing your pants with excitement, you swipe your ticket, climb the stairs, locate your seat and find that you have a pole blocking 50% of your view.

I'm not sure that would happen but that would get my blood boiling.

Greystache
06-05-2016, 04:54 PM
What if after all the massive build up, you are peeing your pants with excitement, you swipe your ticket, climb the stairs, locate your seat and find that you have a pole blocking 50% of your view.

I'm not sure that would happen but that would get my blood boiling.

The chances of getting killed by a lightning strike are far greater than all of those events coming together at the same time. Until we even threaten to be a chance to play in a grand final I'll keep my powder dry.

Axe Man
06-05-2016, 05:52 PM

Then you will need to sign up to the Peter Street Light Tower Club. For just $75 you can secure priority tickets to one of the MCG light towers on grand final day if the Western Bulldogs are a participating club.*

*Not available to those under 18, over 80, the infirm, the incontinent, pregnant women, scaredy cats, or Communists. Accidental death waiver must be signed prior to being hoisted up the pole.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-05-2016, 09:13 PM
See you up there

Eastdog
06-05-2016, 09:22 PM
How many places are available up there Axe Man :D:D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-05-2016, 10:15 PM
One per globe?

Webby
06-05-2016, 11:22 PM
As much as potting the club is a sport, our membership peaked (proportionally) in 1955. The spike is literally dying. We're a small club and I think they're doing the best they can to eek every millimetre they can out of us. In short, for better or for worse, they're trying.

It's not like it's a global oil company trying to screw us. 34,000 members with the footy we're playing is very sobering. We stump up 3x more, but we celebrate 6x harder if we ever get that flag...

However I hear the points. Well made... But it's life.

Twodogs
07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Which light tower was it again?

Eastdog
07-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Which light tower was it again?

I think any of the light towers Twodogs :) :)

bornadog
07-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Back on topic

Eastdog
07-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Can we still get 40K this year?

GVGjr
07-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Can we still get 40K this year?

You would have to doubt it Easty.
The great part has been our attendances at games.

Eastdog
07-05-2016, 05:37 PM
You would have to doubt it Easty.
The great part has been our attendances at games.

Yes our crowds have been very good this year.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Nice spike:

bornadog
12-05-2016, 11:53 AM

Getting close to record of 36,500

hujsh
12-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Looks like we're moving again.

Webby
15-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quite a dramatic jump in the past week. Pessimist in me suggests we're giving a few away. Not that there's anything wrong with investing in some targeted freebies to promote the club.

As stated at the season launch, our membership income to March already exceeded 2015 in its entirety.

On my theory about give aways, I reckon 38,000 - 40,000 is far from out of the question.

Ozza
17-05-2016, 01:03 PM
So we will be breaking our club record either this week or next. And given the performances this season - you would think that in all likelihood - it will continue to grow again next year. Its pretty positive.

bornadog
17-05-2016, 01:32 PM

bornadog
18-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Dogs break membership record, sights set on 40K (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-05-18/dogs-break-membership-record-sights-set-on-40k?camefrom=EMCL_1104043_42408601)

For the second consecutive year, the Western Bulldogs will set a new membership record, after surpassing last year’s benchmark of 36,213 on Wednesday afternoon.

The Bulldogs eclipsed the 35,000 member barrier for the first time in 2015, and will start their push towards 40,000 members after today moving into unchartered membership territory for the Club.

Nearly 4,300 members ahead of the same time last year, the Club’s off-field growth has continued into 2016 with innovative membership campaigns such as Lost Bulldog providing a great fillip to the overall numbers.

With the Bulldogs winning six of its first eight matches under senior coach Luke Beveridge, the Club has continued momentum on top of the 2015 season that saw the Club play finals for the first time in five years.

With momentum building both on and off field at the Kennel, Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer David Stevenson said it was exciting to see the Bulldogs pack again reach record levels.

“From those that have been life-long members, to those that have signed up this year for the first time, we say thanks to each and every one of them for their support of our Club.”

“We’re really pleased to have surpassed our previous membership record at this stage of the season, and it is something we couldn’t have done without our committed members,” said Stevenson.

“This is an important milestone in the growth of our Club, but it’s only just the beginning of what we want to achieve this year and beyond.”

Stevenson urged members and fans to come together and be part of the journey as the Club makes a bold push towards its next membership milestone.

“We’re still a couple of rounds away from the halfway mark of the season, and we’re setting our sights on moving towards our next membership milestone,” Stevenson said.

“We believe the 40,000 member mark is achievable in 2016, and are calling on all our Bulldogs fans who are yet to sign up, to help us create history by becoming a member.”

Approaching round nine of the AFL Premiership Season, the Club has six home games to come at Etihad Stadium, in addition to a home game at Cazalys Stadium in Cairns against the Gold Coast Suns.

Three game memberships cost just $95, which enables general admission entry to any of the Bulldogs remaining home games, including prime-time Friday night match against Collingwood, and blockbuster Saturday night matches against Geelong, Richmond and North Melbourne.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 04:45 PM

bornadog
18-05-2016, 05:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cit0B_qW0AAIn6u.jpg:large

Webby
18-05-2016, 11:02 PM
36,500 is quite the jump. About 2.5k in the past fortnight. I have a feeling we're throwing a few 'promotional' memberships out there. Not that there's anything wrong with that at this stage.

So 40,000 is not unrealistic. In fact, reading the tea leaves, I'd be surprised if we don't hit the 40k mark..

hujsh
19-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Yeah, it feels like someone/s might just make it happen

bornadog
25-05-2016, 10:35 AM

KT31
25-05-2016, 12:34 PM

I would imagine, being close a couple of major club heavy weights will ensure we reach the 40,000 mark now.

Axe Man
25-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Maybe Snoop Dogg is buying up memberships? He posted this on his offical Twitter account the other day:

http://s33.postimg.org/ogk0nygpr/Cj_H9dn3_WEAABMTM_jpg_large.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

ledge
25-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Maybe Snoop Dogg is buying up memberships? He posted this on his offical Twitter account the other day:

http://s33.postimg.org/ogk0nygpr/Cj_H9dn3_WEAABMTM_jpg_large.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Needs to update those jumpers are 2 years old now

Dancin' Douggy
25-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Gee he put a lot of effort into that.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Needs to update those jumpers are 2 years old now

needs to buy some memberships.

GVGjr
25-05-2016, 07:12 PM

I was at the Players Sponsors night yesterday and David Stevenson mentioned we were tracking well and would be setting a club record. As happy as I am to see that sort of number I'm more impressed by the amount of our supporters getting too our games.

By the way the Players Sponsors group grew by 38 members which is a staggering amount

bornadog
25-05-2016, 07:15 PM
I was at the Players Sponsors night yesterday and David Stevenson mentioned we were tracking well and would be setting a club record. As happy as I am to see that sort of number I'm more impressed by the amount of our supporters getting too our games.

By the way the Players Sponsors group grew by 38 members which is a staggering amount

That is brilliant.

What I don't want to see is people with money buying blocks of memberships just to get the numbers up. Of course if they give the memberships to the less unfortunate who can't afford it, fair enough.

Agree, attendance is vital to grow the brand.

GVGjr
25-05-2016, 07:22 PM
That is brilliant.

What I don't want to see is people with money buying blocks of memberships just to get the numbers up. Of course if they give the memberships to the less unfortunate who can't afford it, fair enough.

Agree, attendance is vital to grow the brand.

I think they buy it in terms of the pay it forward option and the club distributes them.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Good thing is we have just about caught Saints (37, 436) and Melbourne (38,366)

bornadog
27-05-2016, 02:53 PM
MEMBERSHIP TALLY:37,676
Officially above Saints

bornadog
31-05-2016, 02:11 PM
membership tally:38,018

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 06:47 PM
membership tally:38,018

Tracking along beautifully.

Scraggers
01-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Disappointing there is no forward thinking from our membership department. Even before we reached last year's mark, members were missing out on their membership packages. Interstate members (here in WA and one I know of in SA) only getting a membership card three weeks after signing up and an email saying "sorry, we have had unprecedented membership this year and have therefore run out of membership packages ... Please accept a $20 voucher for the Bulldogs Shop". Kids who follow from interstate do not have the opportunity to get to a game. They do not have the opportunity to go to a Dalhaus training session. They do not have the opportunity to go to training. The benefit of being a kid member interstate is nil. When there is no package available for these kids, it is very short sighted. This situation would be understandable if we were already at 40,000 members. We are not. This is another example of the club not looking after the interstate members. We will start to lose members if we continue to be Melbourne-centric. I've said this before, but how about running a Dalhaus training session in every other state a day or two before we play there. A 4:30pm session after school during the week. How about having a suitable membership package for interstate kids who can not get to games. We need to think outside the current square.

Very disappointing!!!

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 03:01 AM
Disappointing there is no forward thinking from our membership department. Even before we reached last year's mark, members were missing out on their membership packages. Interstate members (here in WA and one I know of in SA) only getting a membership card three weeks after signing up and an email saying "sorry, we have had unprecedented membership this year and have therefore run out of membership packages ... Please accept a $20 voucher for the Bulldogs Shop". Kids who follow from interstate do not have the opportunity to get to a game. They do not have the opportunity to go to a Dalhaus training session. They do not have the opportunity to go to training. The benefit of being a kid member interstate is nil. When there is no package available for these kids, it is very short sighted. This situation would be understandable if we were already at 40,000 members. We are not. This is another example of the club not looking after the interstate members. We will start to lose members if we continue to be Melbourne-centric. I've said this before, but how about running a Dalhaus training session in every other state a day or two before we play there. A 4:30pm session after school during the week. How about having a suitable membership package for interstate kids who can not get to games. We need to think outside the current square.

Very disappointing!!!

It's taken a long time for the club to be even a little imaginative with membership options. ( expat options, throwing in AFL live subscriptions) I wonder if this has to do with limitations imposed by the AFL, or lack of forward thinking.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Good thing is we have just about caught Saints (37, 436) and Melbourne (38,366)

That's the first time in our history I would bet. A historic milestone.

LostDoggy
01-06-2016, 08:51 AM
First post in a long time...

I'm ecstatic that our membership number is this big. I'm still trying to get friends and family to sign up and knowing we are breaking our record has made some of them sign up this late into the season!

I think the Dogs have done a pretty good job with their membership initiatives as late. Yes they could do more, every team could do more. But we want sustained membership numbers, not peaks when were playing well, then massive drop offs when were down the bottom end. That's what I'm hoping they are concentrating on.

Go Dogs!

bornadog
01-06-2016, 10:06 AM
First post in a long time...

I'm ecstatic that our membership number is this big. I'm still trying to get friends and family to sign up and knowing we are breaking our record has made some of them sign up this late into the season!

I think the Dogs have done a pretty good job with their membership initiatives as late. Yes they could do more, every team could do more. But we want sustained membership numbers, not peaks when were playing well, then massive drop offs when were down the bottom end. That's what I'm hoping they are concentrating on.

Go Dogs!

Good to see you posting again.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-06-2016, 07:47 PM

Very disappointing!!!

Good points. I don't like your chances of getting it over the line though. Every year, i've suggested throwing in extra stickers with the view of handing them to families who move to the area, through my business. No response.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know the breakdown of the membership figure? Eg. adult/child/11 game/18 game.

Webby
03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
I see Norf have 43,500 odd members. On Wednesday, they "celebrated" the fact that they have 7,000 members in Tasmania...

This would surely be 7,000 three game members. If you lived in Hobart and there were three games per year in your town, you'd buy a NMFC Tasmanian membership even if you hated Norf, wouldn't you?! So, apart from being junk 3 game memberships, I'm sceptical that many of the 7,000 extras would truly be Norf supporters. On the contrary - Tasmanians are rusted on footy followers who have mostly had a club since they were kids.

Anyway, point is that 43,500 minus 7,000 equals 36,500.....

We've got 38,500..... So, despite Norf's 8 odd GF appearances and four premierships and countless finals appearances since we even last made a GF - not to mention them being top of the ladder, we still trump Norf for member numbers in Victoria...

I think that's something to give ourselves a pat on the back for. Well done WBFC supporters!

comrade
03-06-2016, 10:04 PM
If North can get 7000 Tas members, it bodes well for our Ballarat initiative.

Surely we'd get a minimum of 5,000 interested in a Ballarat membership that gives them entry to 2-3 games a year.

We'll be hitting 40,000+ regularly over the next few years.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2016, 10:09 PM
If North can get 7000 Tas members, it bodes well for our Ballarat initiative.

Surely we'd get a minimum of 5,000 interested in a Ballarat membership that gives them entry to 2-3 games a year.

We'll be hitting 40,000+ regularly over the next few years.

North got 7,000 in Tassie despite Firrito, Thomas, Petrie, Waite, Nahas etc, etc.

If we can't get 5,000 with Stringer, Bonts, Dahl, Tom Boyd, JJ etc, etc - then there's something wrong with the folks in and around Ballarat.

comrade
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
North got 7,000 in Tassie despite Firrito, Thomas, Petrie, Waite, Nahas etc, etc.

If we can't get 5,000 with Stringer, Bonts, Dahl, Tom Boyd, JJ etc, etc - then there's something wrong with the folks in and around Ballarat.

Happy to confirm that Ballarat people are weird. I'm one of them.

Hotdog60
03-06-2016, 10:51 PM
How many heads are they counting in Tassy. Surely it has to be a body count.

Twodogs
04-06-2016, 06:14 AM

Happy to confirm that Ballarat people are weird. I'm one of them.

Oh yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. There's definitely something wrong with people in Ballarat.

1eyedog
04-06-2016, 07:29 AM
I see Norf have 43,500 odd members. On Wednesday, they "celebrated" the fact that they have 7,000 members in Tasmania...

This would surely be 7,000 three game members. If you lived in Hobart and there were three games per year in your town, you'd buy a NMFC Tasmanian membership even if you hated Norf, wouldn't you?! So, apart from being junk 3 game memberships, I'm sceptical that many of the 7,000 extras would truly be Norf supporters. On the contrary - Tasmanians are rusted on footy followers who have mostly had a club since they were kids.

We've got 38,500..... So, despite Norf's 8 odd GF appearances and four premierships and countless finals appearances since we even last made a GF - not to mention them being top of the ladder, we still trump Norf for member numbers in Victoria...

I think that's something to give ourselves a pat on the back for. Well done WBFC supporters!

Yeah we're definitely better than North Melbourne, I mean is that even a suburb, are North Melbourne supporters even real people? I always just feel like I'm driving through west Melbourne. Anyway, when you're in Footscray you know you're in Footscray, I mean, does anybody even live in North Melbourne?

Just wait till we win a Grand Final people, I'm talking the awakening of the west, something for the west to be proud of, 50k members a reality.

Anyway, great to hear that we have surpassed North Melbourne in real membership sales, despite them being on top of the ladder and having to put up with Spud Firrito.

GVGjr
04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Why do we worry about the possible accounting processes of other clubs on how they record memberships?

If we simply keep increasing our memberships then hopefully the club benefits.

Despite our membership numbers, I've been more than pleased with our attendances at games this year which has given Etihad a substantially better and more parochial feel to games.

1eyedog
04-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Because bagging opposition clubs puts the fun into footy when footy isn't being played.

comrade
04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
I agree that it's kind of pointless bagging other clubs, but the practice of inflating membership numbers could have an impact on the ability of our club to attract sponsorship dollars, particularly in such a competitive market like Melbourne.

But I'm sure we're not immune to playing funny buggers with our numbers to present a stronger sponsorship story.

jeemak
04-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Why do we worry about the possible accounting processes of other clubs on how they record memberships?

If we simply keep increasing our memberships then hopefully the club benefits.

Despite our membership numbers, I've been more than pleased with our attendances at games this year which has given Etihad a substantially better and more parochial feel to games.

Spin shouldn't be tolerated and called out for what it is.

North will use these membership numbers as leverage to paint themselves publicly as more worthy of receiving a better deal - most likely at the expense of clubs like ours. This may not sound like a material threat, but take a step back and think how someone like Murdoch influences the public through repeated publication of half truths and in some cases, flat out lies. If North, or clubs like North, keep misrepresenting how prolific their supporter base is publicly eventually the message will catch on.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm looking forward to when we sell 1 game memberships to the good folk of Ballarat.:) Then we will really climb the membership ladder.

GVGjr
04-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Spin shouldn't be tolerated and called out for what it is.

North will use these membership numbers as leverage to paint themselves publicly as more worthy of receiving a better deal - most likely at the expense of clubs like ours. This may not sound like a material threat, but take a step back and think how someone like Murdoch influences the public through repeated publication of half truths and in some cases, flat out lies. If North, or clubs like North, keep misrepresenting how prolific their supporter base is publicly eventually the message will catch on.

So you don't believe we pad up membership numbers or should we only call out other teams?

In my opinion, Media or public perception isn't driven by membership numbers alone it's driven by crowd attendance and on field success. To that end a few of the teams with low memberships numbers like us and North are now seen by both the public and media as clubs that are heading in the right direction because of their on field success and off field progress.

If we keep performing well over the next few seasons our membership numbers will continue to increase. If other clubs pad up their numbers then that's up to them. Good luck to them explaining why they have 60,000 "members" but can't make a decent profit.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Good luck to them explaining why they have 60,000 "members" but can't make a decent profit.

Or draw consistent crowd numbers which reflect the number of members they have, particularly when their games are being scheduled in the prime attendance slots.

G-Mo77
04-06-2016, 12:47 PM

I get the feeling why we get so much animosity from their supporters. All you have to do is look up a public Pro Bulldog Tweet and you'll find Norf supporters rubbishing us. At Bigfooty our posts are trolled relentlessly by their supporters and at the games it's no better. It's a club I'd wouldn't mind liking because they're a battling club like ours but their supporters are rank and I wouldn't blink and eye if they went belly up. They have had success and should be flourishing but struggle year in year out, we've had no success and still manage to compete or better them.

All that aside Tassie is a big + for them though. If they can get it to work, good luck to them. I'm just happy we haven't sold our club to another state like that. I'd hate it if I was a Vic supporter.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2016, 01:07 PM
I get the feeling why we get so much animosity from their supporters. All you have to do is look up a public Pro Bulldog Tweet and you'll find Norf supporters rubbishing us. At Bigfooty our posts are trolled relentlessly by their supporters and at the games it's no better. It's a club I'd wouldn't mind liking because they're a battling club like ours but their supporters are rank and I wouldn't blink and eye if they went belly up. They have had success and should be flourishing but struggle year in year out, we've had no success and still manage to compete or better them.

All that aside Tassie is a big + for them though. If they can get it to work, good luck to them. I'm just happy we haven't sold our club to another state like that. I'd hate it if I was a Vic supporter.

That's the only reason I don't like Norf. Their supporters. Over many years I have had run ins with a few supporters of the opposition team. Mostly Norf supporters.I have calmed down now thank God.

bornadog
04-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Or draw consistent crowd numbers which reflect the number of members they have, particularly when their games are being scheduled in the prime attendance slots.

To date we have averaged 33,393, compared to North 26,620. We are up on last years 22 games (27,054) to North 27,725.

Of course this year, so far, does depend on a lot of factors like venues, the opposition etc.

2016 AFL Attendance

Team (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=A&h=A&s=M)
Games (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=A&h=A&s=G)
Total (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=A&h=A&s=T)
Average (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=A&h=A&s=A)

Collingwood Magpies (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-collingwood-magpies)

Richmond Tigers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-richmond-tigers)

Essendon Bombers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-essendon-bombers)

Geelong Cats (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-geelong-cats)

Adelaide Crows (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-adelaide-crows)

Carlton Blues (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-carlton-blues)

Hawthorn Hawks (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-hawthorn-hawks)

Sydney Swans (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-sydney-swans)

West Coast Eagles (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-west-coast-eagles)

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-western-bulldogs)

Port Adelaide Power (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-port-adelaide-power)

Melbourne Demons (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-melbourne-demons)

St Kilda Saints (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-st-kilda-saints)

Fremantle Dockers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-fremantle-dockers)

North Melbourne Kangaroos (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-kangaroos)

Brisbane Lions (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-brisbane-lions)

GWS Giants (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-greater-western-sydney-giants)

Gold Coast Suns (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-gold-coast-suns)

ALL

« 2015 Attendances (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2015&t=A&h=A&s=A)

Footywire.com © 2016
about (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/info?if=a) terms (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/info?if=t) privacy (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/info?if=p) contact us (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/contact_us)

jeemak
04-06-2016, 02:47 PM
So you don't believe we pad up membership numbers or should we only call out other teams?

In my opinion, Media or public perception isn't driven by membership numbers alone it's driven by crowd attendance and on field success. To that end a few of the teams with low memberships numbers like us and North are now seen by both the public and media as clubs that are heading in the right direction because of their on field success and off field progress.

If we keep performing well over the next few seasons our membership numbers will continue to increase. If other clubs pad up their numbers then that's up to them. Good luck to them explaining why they have 60,000 "members" but can't make a decent profit.

I would hope we don't. I want our club to be honest with its members and stakeholders. Media and public perception are secondary to strong performances on field and crowd numbers, but they do play a part.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2016, 03:21 PM

I believe for a long time that the membership ladder should look like this for example

Western Bulldogs 38,750 Revenue from Membership $......

This would give the general public a clearer view of their Club's position.

jeemak
04-06-2016, 03:29 PM
I believe for a long time that the membership ladder should look like this for example

Western Bulldogs 38,750 Revenue from Membership $......

This would give the general public a clearer view of their Club's position.

That information is available in club financial reporting. Here's 2014's:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-membership-the-real-figures-for-your-club-20140506-zr5tt.html

Webby
04-06-2016, 03:53 PM
That information is available in club financial reporting. Here's 2014's:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-membership-the-real-figures-for-your-club-20140506-zr5tt.html

Yep, discussed that one before on WOOF. Those WA figures are pretty damn compelling! Meanwhile the Richmond figure lends itself to weeties packet membership accusations..!

Despite all the Tasmania vs GW Sydney vs Gold Coast talk, the huge Perth revenue numbers put a LOT of weight to the argument for a third Perth side...

LostDoggy
07-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Bob's decision to play on should add a couple of K to our tally?
Surely!!!

bornadog
08-06-2016, 12:32 AM

KT31
08-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Hopefully we will get the 1600 required this week with Bobbies decision to play on.
Great work by our Club and the membership department to achieve numbers that a few years back we would have regarded as a pipe dream.

bornadog
08-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Hopefully we will get the 1600 required this week with Bobbies decision to play on.
Great work by our Club and the membership department to achieve numbers that a few years back we would have regarded as a pipe dream.

Corrected for hope :D

KT31
08-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Corrected for hope :D

Fixed.:)

bornadog
10-06-2016, 03:23 PM
membership tally:

bornadog
15-06-2016, 12:29 PM
membership tally:38,603

The Adelaide Connection
15-06-2016, 12:48 PM
With a massive home game this weekend I was thinking we might topple 40k, but only 86 new memberships from Saturday would say otherwise. Hopefully it is just a case of being a little slow to fully update the numbers on the website or numbers coming in later due to the public holiday.

On a tangent, surely Saturday night has to sell out and there will be 50k+. If two top 4 sides going head to head with a full house doesn't motivate people to sign up, nothing will.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2016, 12:58 PM
With a massive home game this weekend I was thinking we might topple 40k, but only 86 new memberships from Saturday would say otherwise. Hopefully it is just a case of being a little slow to fully update the numbers on the website or numbers coming in later due to the public holiday.

On a tangent, surely Saturday night has to sell out and there will be 50k+. If two top 4 sides going head to head with a full house doesn't motivate people to sign up, nothing will.

Only match in Melbourne on Saturday too.

ledge
15-06-2016, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the woman's team announcement might help.
Hope they have a women's team membership next year I like to support the club in memberships, I have AFL and VFL. Will top us over the 40,000 next year I would think.

The Adelaide Connection
15-06-2016, 04:55 PM
I wonder if the woman's team announcement might help.
Hope they have a women's team membership next year I like to support the club in memberships, I have AFL and VFL. Will top us over the 40,000 next year I would think.

I think the Ballarat deal kicking off should get us over 40K (if we aren't already there).

LostDoggy
16-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Question to any AFL members amongst us..

I'm going to the game with some friends and will be using my AFL membership card to scan and just sit general admission. However with a big crowd expected I'm thinking about being safe and pre purchasing a General Admission Ticket.

Obviously as an AFL member I can scan at the gate and get in for free (subject to capacity) But can I also pre purchase a general admission ticket for free? It won't allow me on Ticketmaster and it's annoying me!

cinder
16-06-2016, 01:39 PM

I'm going to the game with some friends and will be using my AFL membership card to scan and just sit general admission. However with a big crowd expected I'm thinking about being safe and pre purchasing a General Admission Ticket.

Obviously as an AFL member I can scan at the gate and get in for free (subject to capacity) But can I also pre purchase a general admission ticket for free? It won't allow me on Ticketmaster and it's annoying me!

I didn't think so but would need someone else to confirm. I think you at least have to pay for the upgrade to a reserved seat.

LostDoggy
17-06-2016, 02:29 PM

G-Mo77
17-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Not to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure you'd need to upgrade to a reserved seat to book one.

bornadog
28-06-2016, 10:17 AM
membership tally:38,866

LostDoggy
28-06-2016, 05:21 PM
membership tally:38,866

Slow grind to 40K.

Twodogs
28-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Slow grind to 40K.

207 in 12 days. If you go to two SOTW sessions you get a 3 game membership. I wonder if those are counted? there are a lot of blokes at SOTW this year.

The Adelaide Connection
29-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Updated Membership Tally:

bornadog
01-07-2016, 10:27 AM
39,000 cracked.

Eastdog
01-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Great news.

The Adelaide Connection
03-07-2016, 11:48 PM
39,000 cracked.

Is that it? Is the end of June the cutoff?
If it is the cutoff it is a damn shame. Might have got to 40k with that win last weekend and a home game on a Saturday night against Richmond looming.

bornadog
03-07-2016, 11:49 PM
If it is the cutoff it is a damn shame. Might have got to 40k with that win last weekend and a home game on a Saturday night against Richmond looming.
Last year they kept adding them up.

boydogs
04-07-2016, 10:03 PM

End of July I think

Twodogs
04-07-2016, 10:48 PM
I suspect we will keep going for as long as it takes to get 40 000 members joined up.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2016, 10:56 PM
If the win on Saturday isn't the clincher to join up, they never will.

bornadog
04-07-2016, 11:20 PM

merantau
05-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Go 40,000, you good thing!

The Adelaide Connection
06-07-2016, 02:09 AM

LostDoggy
06-07-2016, 07:00 PM

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 12:39 AM
40,000-39,282 = Another 718 more members and we get 40,000.

Just fantastic. We need to keep maintaining these figures each year towards it ever increasing.

LostDoggy
08-07-2016, 07:13 PM

bornadog
14-07-2016, 11:43 AM

Come on!! - 500 more to crack 40k

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Nearly there!

westdog54
15-07-2016, 06:53 AM
When is the cut-off?

LostDoggy
15-07-2016, 08:12 AM
When is the cut-off?

Pretty sure it's July 31.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure it's July 31.

Yes it is PP.

LostDoggy
15-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Twodogs
15-07-2016, 08:48 PM
For gods sake. Buy another membership!

LostDoggy
16-07-2016, 08:50 AM
This just reminded me we had a little competition a bit earlier to guess the final membership numbers. I've been meaning to list the guesses from highest to lowest so we can tick them off as we get closer to the end of the year. For the record:

44,692 - Twodogs
42,069 - redders70
41,472 - whythelongface
41,352 - Eastdog
41,007 - strebla
40,212 - Jam Donuts
40,069 - doggy style
40,012 - Throughandthrough
39,461 - PeanutsPeanuts
38,431 - bulldogtragic
37,560 - bornadog
37,015 - boydogs

With 2 weeks to go, I'd reckon Jam Donuts, doggy style or Throughandthrough are looking most likely to win the pre-season comp to tip our final membership tally.

Twodogs
16-07-2016, 10:29 AM
With 2 weeks to go, I'd reckon Jam Donuts, doggy style or Throughandthrough are looking most likely to win the pre-season comp to tip our final membership tally.

I'm still a chance. Im quietly confident.

comrade
16-07-2016, 10:35 AM
I think we'll just tick over 40K and target 45K next year.

I never thought we'd get near 40K members, especially 18 months after Shocktober.

1eyedog
16-07-2016, 12:28 PM
If we win it this year expect 50k

Twodogs
16-07-2016, 05:42 PM
If we win it this year expect 50k

If we market the success well. In a funny way it's when we win a/lots of flags that the hard work starts marketing and promoting that success and parlaying it into support and membership. If we had a cup to parade around with we'd get a lot more attention in the west especially.

Eastdog
16-07-2016, 06:04 PM
If we market the success well. In a funny way it's when we win a/lots of flags that the hard work starts marketing and promoting that success and parlaying it into support and membership. If we had a cup to parade around with we'd get a lot more attention in the west especially.

Yes tend to agree. The marketing and promoting work will need to still be just as good to get new supporters to our club if we did end up winning the flag.

Doggy
18-07-2016, 04:49 PM
We picked up another 9 members over the weekend.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 04:49 PM

Wooooo! :D

comrade
18-07-2016, 05:06 PM

A few changed their mind because we didn't win by 10 goals ;)

bornadog
18-07-2016, 05:11 PM

They are not real supporters.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Cairns footy public voting with their wallets. Smaller crowd and 9 members in the last week. Not sure we are building a big base up there.

Mantis
18-07-2016, 05:29 PM
They are not real supporters.

Not sure real supporters ( or members) would be waiting until rd 17 to purchase their membership anyway.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Not sure real supporters ( or members) would be waiting until rd 17 to purchase their membership anyway.

True

Doc26
18-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Surely the carrot of having access to see us in another finals campaign should be attractive enough for those not yet committed. With some targeted marketing through the week we should be aiming to get the remaining ~400 at this weekend's home game against the Saints.

bornadog
21-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Very slow

MEMBERSHIP TALLY:39,633

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Was at the Cairns match you could just walk in and out the checking of tickets was so slack so the attendance figure is unreliable

Twodogs
21-07-2016, 11:54 PM
So you're saying we wouldn't have sold many memberships?

Remi Moses
22-07-2016, 03:27 AM
I reckon they missed out on a few people with the game not being played in Vic school holidays .

LostDoggy
22-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Off topic, but did anyone else not get their 2016 member scarves? Our family didn't....

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Off topic, but did anyone else not get their 2016 member scarves? Our family didn't....

Actually, now you mention it. I assumed they cut it out of the member pack.

AndrewP6
22-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Got mine. You didn't miss much, to be honest.

1eyedog
22-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Dodgy scarves.

LostDoggy
23-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Can't see any movement coming this week.

KT31
24-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Can't see any movement coming this week.

Might pull a few with the sympathy vote.

LostDoggy
26-07-2016, 09:58 PM

bulldogtragic
26-07-2016, 10:22 PM
So which CEO gets to take credit for the result?

Bulldog4life
27-07-2016, 03:45 PM
So which CEO gets to take credit for the result?

The new one of course:)

bornadog
02-08-2016, 05:38 PM

Cyberdoggie
02-08-2016, 06:07 PM
So i'm tipping someone will purchase a few memberships surely to tip it over the 40k mark?

LostDoggy
03-08-2016, 10:34 AM

75 to go!

1eyedog
03-08-2016, 10:45 AM
So i'm tipping someone will purchase a few memberships surely to tip it over the 40k mark?

PG needs to tip in a lazy 5k for 75 3 game memberships and we're done.

Axe Man
03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
So when exactly is the membership cut-off? Obviously it is not 31 July as mentioned earlier in this thread as the figure continues to rise towards 40k.

KT31
03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Great effort by the club, aim for 45,000 in 2017.

LostDoggy
03-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Good to see we aren't the lowest Victorian club this season! We have gone passed St Kilda and Melbourne. In the coming years we will also go past Norf who's number will begin to tumble after this season.

ledge
03-08-2016, 01:00 PM
So when exactly is the membership cut-off? Obviously it is not 31 July as mentioned earlier in this thread as the figure continues to rise towards 40k.
I believe it's over , they are just counting what came in on the final days

Axe Man
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I believe it's over , they are just counting what came in on the final days

What are they the Australian Electoral Commission? Will we be demanding a re-count? I'm fairly sure they have computers for that sort of thing, surely there is no counting involved these days?:confused:

bornadog
03-08-2016, 01:35 PM
What are they the Australian Electoral Commission? Will we be demanding a re-count? I'm fairly sure they have computers for that sort of thing, surely there is no counting involved these days?:confused:

We went the recount, new figure today is 39,925

bornadog
04-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Creeping up - surely another 49 people can sign up.