PDA

View Full Version : 2015's International Rules squad revealed - Do we care?

bornadog
16-10-2015, 11:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRZNjD0UYAE6mP3.jpg

Squad

Eddie Betts (Adelaide Crows)
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
Luke Bruest (Hawthorn)
Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong Cats)
Dustin Fletcher (Essendon)
Andrew Gaff (West Coast)
Brendon Goddard (Essendon)
Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
Dyson Heppell (Essendon)
Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Leigh Montagna (St Kilda)
David Mundy (Fremantle)
Robert Murphy (Western Bulldogs)
Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions)
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
Nick Smith (Sydney Swans)
Jake Stringer (Western Bulldogs)
Harry Taylor (Geelong Cats)
Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide)
Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs)

bulldogtragic
16-10-2015, 11:22 AM
As long as they don't get injured. I can accept some player injury risk in a showcase game of actual AFL, be it representative or another way of the best playing the best. This hybrid rubbish has never really taken off. Now they have to bribe the players to go over just to field a semi skilled team. Just kill the format already.

Axe Man
16-10-2015, 11:23 AM
It's meaningless but nevertheless good acknowledgement of the improvement of Stringer and Wood this year in making the squad.

Great longevity by Bob. I watched him play in an international rules match at Croke Park in 2002!

bornadog
16-10-2015, 11:46 AM
It's meaningless but nevertheless good acknowledgement of the improvement of Stringer and Wood this year in making the squad.

Great longevity by Bob. I watched him play in an international rules match at Croke Park in 2002!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRZVpuhUYAEcfpj.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRZVqwMUEAAFg2w.jpg

BornInDroopSt'54
16-10-2015, 01:25 PM
I like the concept of playing the Irish, having Irish genetics myself. Although our game may have descended from marngrook, the connections with gaelic football are obvious and with the Irish diaspora in early Melbourne, especially around the East Melbourne, Fitzroy, Carlton and Collingwood areas, the early game must have been formed from Irish influence. I love that the Irish footballers are passionate amateurs and are potential recruits for the red, white and blue. I also like that the international series makes our game international or at least puts it on the international stage; being the greatest game in the world, it deserves world domination.

Sedat
16-10-2015, 01:42 PM
I have always hated this concept - it is neither AFL or Gaelic football, rather some mongoloid hybrid meaningless game designed to give players and officials an overseas junket every 2 years.

Scrap it FFS.

Maddog37
16-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Jake is a fully fledged star already.

jazzadogs
16-10-2015, 06:53 PM
It's got slightly more meaning now that only players who have an All-Australian trophy are eligible. Not only increases the talent level a fair bit, but also the prestige of it.

F'scary
17-10-2015, 12:05 AM
They should have picked Minson.

Rocket Science
17-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I'd just as soon watch a hybrid of curling and blindfolded dwarf throwing.

Scorlibo
17-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Love the idea of watching the best Australian Rules Football players of the year play together, but just wish we could see them play Australian Rules Football! Supporters would be 10x more keen to see a representative game at this time of year.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2015, 05:41 PM
It seems the nay-Sayers about SOO footy talk about their good players getting injured and that representative footy is dead... I hate to point to them all, that at least in our case our three best players are playing a made up nothing game, which isn't AFL, which doesn't represent anything and play for absolutely nothing (other than cash) and risking just as much injury.

Players want a representative game and so they should. Their entire junior careers were based on representative teams/games being the highest level of achievement. But achievement in the field of Aussie Rules. Be it this time of the year or the lead in week before the season opener, now the preseason cup is officially dead, a game of the best vs the best could a be great game and could be worth the risk and give the players what they want. Even 'the best vs the rest', with the AA team vs the rest, if not SOO. With the talent pool thinning with 18 clubs, a real rep match would be something to behold now. I'm not really sure why the AFL persist with it to be honest. And after all the vicious assaults we dished out I'm not sure why Ireland want it.

LostDoggy
17-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Would be a rare chance to represent their country.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Would be a rare chance to represent their country.

Yeah, nah. If we make up a made up international sport on ability to love Jarrad Grant, we too could represent Australia... :D

Go_Dogs
17-10-2015, 08:04 PM
As far as having 3 of our players in the squad, I like it. Good opportunity for them to train/mingle with other quality players and seemingly, a trip as reward for their effort across the season.

The actual game means little to me.

Ozza
19-10-2015, 10:09 AM
As far as having 3 of our players in the squad, I like it. Good opportunity for them to train/mingle with other quality players and seemingly, a trip as reward for their effort across the season.

The actual game means little to me.

Agree with this. You often hear from retiring players that have played international rules, that it is one of the highlights of their career. Particularly the experience to travel, train and play with the other elite players in the competition.

I think it could be a really good thing for Stringer and Wood to be involved in. Bob has obviously been there, done that - but for him its still a reward and something you'd expect for him to really enjoy.

jazzadogs
19-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Agree with this. You often hear from retiring players that have played international rules, that it is one of the highlights of their career. Particularly the experience to travel, train and play with the other elite players in the competition.

I think it could be a really good thing for Stringer and Wood to be involved in. Bob has obviously been there, done that - but for him its still a reward and something you'd expect for him to really enjoy.

It surprised me, but I saw a photo the other day that suggested Easton played in a series a few years back. I think it was a Mick Malthouse year and they picked a really young side.

Bulldog4life
19-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Bob will get to captain an Australia match.

Scorlibo
19-10-2015, 12:27 PM
For all three guys it is their first time playing a series with the best of the best. Closest for Bob in terms of playing with quality would have been the VIC vs All Stars game in 2008.

bornadog
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Five Australian leaders for Irish clash (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/five-australian-leaders-for-irish-clash)
AUSTRALIA has chosen a five-man leadership group as preparations for the Virgin Australia International Rules Series kicked off in New York overnight.

The coaches appointed Geelong's Harry Taylor, St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt, the Western Bulldogs' Robert Murphy and Hawthorn pair Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell to lead the 22-man squad against Ireland at Croke Park on November 21.

A captain will be chosen later in the week, with an official jumper presentation to be held in New York on Friday.

Coach Alastair Clarkson said the coaches settled on the group of experienced leaders, but he was confident every player on the trip would make a contribution.

"We've got an outstanding squad with leaders throughout, but for practical purposes we've settled on those five and we know they will do an excellent job," he said.

Clarkson addressed the squad on Wednesday morning New York time as they came together for the first time.

He will coach with the assistance of Ross Lyon and Chris Scott.

Clarkson left the squad in no doubt the intent of the trip was to defeat the Irish, a task he has admitted will be tough in front of the home crowd.

The squad had a light run in New York's Central Park in front of some bewildered locals as they began to familiarise themselves with the round ball.

Ireland announced its squad for the one-off test on Wednesday after making preparations for eight weeks ahead of the game.

Dublin's Bernard Brogan is Ireland's captain, with the 23-man squad including footballer of the year Jack McCaffrey and former AFL-listed players Michael Quinn and Colm Begley.

Quinn played for Essendon and Begley was with the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda.

bornadog
19-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Doesn't matter the game, he is a star:

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/667026406837219328

Axe Man
19-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Maybe he should kick all his set shots around the corner like that, he's always been more accurate on the snap!

KT31
19-11-2015, 12:06 PM

I'm just hoping Jake,Wood and Murph make it through the series without any injuries.

Remi Moses
19-11-2015, 03:35 PM
I just wish they euthanise this concept .
Nobody cares, and they just prey nobody gets injured