PDA

View Full Version : Murphy 08-??

Bulldog Revolution
29-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Robert Murphy clearly struggled in 2007 on the back of the knee reconstruction given to him courtesy of an Anthony Rocca tackle (Our tackling expert Dry Rot can provide a better description of it than I can). Once he re-emerged post injury in 2007 he kicked 19 goals and averaged 14 possessions a game, although had a couple of interruptions with hamstring troubles.

The move by Rocket to send him forward in 2005 was inspired and had immediate results as he kicked a career high 33.19 as a leading half forward. In 2006 before injury he had kicked 13 goals in 9 games.

What can we expect in 2008?

Will he spend more time forward or back?

Can he emerge as one of the superstars of the competition?

hujsh
29-11-2007, 04:41 PM
No worries about Murph here. Whenever he got rollin he got injured but he always found form eg against Stkilda Melbourne and Richmond. He has too much class to not play well + he is a star already;)

The Underdog
29-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I think he'll play a fair bit forward as he's really valuable there. He's great overhead for his height and does some great leadup work. He's also a very smart footballer.
I actually like the thought of him down back. I don't know quite how he'd go picking up a good forward, but he reads the play very well and uses it well too.
I still think he'll play mostly forward but has the capacity to help out down back and be very useful.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2007, 04:53 PM
It's a shame we don't have a genuine CHF, Murph is sensational on a HBF.

The Underdog
29-11-2007, 05:18 PM

I agree, he'd be great there, but he's so valuable up forward for us at the moment.

Mantis
29-11-2007, 05:28 PM

So too are Griffen and Gilbee, but also you pointed out we haven't got very many lead up types.

Bulldog Revolution
29-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Where do you think he is more of a match winner Sockeye? Forward or Back?

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Where do you think he is more of a match winner Sockeye? Forward or Back?

Back, definately. We just don't have the luxury of playing him there.

Gilbee might be a better kick, but Murphy's vision is extraordinary.

wimberga
29-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I actually like the thought of Murphy on the wing, as a link between defence and attack.

GVGjr
29-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I actually like the thought of Murphy on the wing, as a link between defence and attack.

I don't think he works hard enough to play on a wing. You will either get an attacking winger or a defensive one. I doubt he will be able to provide a benefit to both ends. I also don't rate his kicking into the forward line.

I think he needs to play as a forward but as others have mentioned he is very good in the back half as well.

Scorlibo
29-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I reckon that Murph is better down back, before moving forward he was probably in the elite class of small defenders, he can be a very effective playmaker there. The problem ofcourse is that Gilb is already planted down back as our playmaker, and Murph adds a fair bit of spice to an otherwise lacklustre lead-up forward line. So under the circumstances he is probably better up forward, swinging down back occasionally.

LostDoggy
29-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I reckon that Murph is better down back, before moving forward he was probably in the elite class of small defenders, he can be a very effective playmaker there. The problem ofcourse is that Gilb is already planted down back as our playmaker, and Murph adds a fair bit of spice to an otherwise lacklustre lead-up forward line. So under the circumstances he is probably better up forward, swinging down back occasionally.

Sounds like exactly the way we should use.

Mofra
29-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't think he works hard enough to play on a wing.
He covered 19.5kms in a match playing as a forward, 05 when he came 4th in the AFL for total marks. It's not his workrate I'd question, he is just too valuable to play anywhere else but forward.

BulldogBelle
30-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Got to play him forward. A very valuable weapon.

Bulldog Revolution
30-11-2007, 11:12 AM
He covered 19.5kms in a match playing as a forward, 05 when he came 4th in the AFL for total marks. It's not his workrate I'd question, he is just too valuable to play anywhere else but forward.

I am not sure he reads the play as well in the midfield as he does when hes forward or back

Back, definately. We just don't have the luxury of playing him there.

Gilbee might be a better kick, but Murphy's vision is extraordinary..

So hes better at creating goals from half back than creating/finishing them in the forward line

hujsh
30-11-2007, 12:32 PM
in the melb game Murph was the only dangerous forward with Higgins. Higgins is not that consitent nd Johnno can be shut down (with the 190cm but quick backmen ala Bowden C.Bruce)

Mantis
30-11-2007, 12:42 PM
So hes better at creating goals from half back than creating/finishing them in the forward line

I wouldn't have thought so.

He plays both role's equally well, but as we all know it is much harder playing across half forward than at half back. For that reason he plays the CHF type role for us. We have 4 or 5 who could play on a HBF and do a good job, maybe not as good as Murf, but we only have a couple who could play a role across HF and none as good as Bob.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I hope Murph recaptures his form prior to the serious injury. He was quickly becoming an elite player of the competition, it was incredibly bad timing for him. A full pre-season should hold him in good stead, and hopefully he's able tog et back to his best. The first three games will be itneresting, if he can get his confidence up he'll be fine but if he finds himself in the shadows a bit, he might find it tough to regain the touch and confidence he once had.

On his day, Murph is a genuine superstar. Unfortunately it's been quite a while since we've seen him at his best, but boy - if he's able to get back to it, he'll improve our side in leaps and bounds.

Here's hoping Murph & Hahn recapture their form prior to the knee reconstructions, as they were both in career best form.

A forwardline consisting of Welsh, Hahn, Murphy & Johnson would be dangerous. Both Welsh & Hahn play tall, they work hard to keep the ball in the area and are capable of pulling down some good marks. They use their body well & are very good players on their day. Murphy & Johnson work beautifully in tandem; it's almost impossible to stop both when they're fit & firing. These four compliment each other well, Murph helps out Johnno with his creativity whilst Welsh would be very handy in helping out Hahn as far as the bullocking work in the forward line is concerned.

If Murph hits form, we're at least a 3 goal better side.

Dry Rot
01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Robert Murphy clearly struggled in 2007 on the back of the knee reconstruction given to him courtesy of an Anthony Rocca tackle (Our tackling expert Dry Rot can provide a better description of it than I can).

Best to ask a wrestling or judo fan - that wasn't a tackle.

hujsh
01-12-2007, 11:40 PM
:
Best to ask a wrestling or judo fan - that wasn't a tackle.

I was amazed he could put Murphs skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it:(. Mabye I'm bias?

LostDoggy
02-12-2007, 12:19 AM
:

I was amazed he could put Murphs skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it:(. Mabye I'm bias?

Wrong place, wrong time. Seriously, if you take hard tackles out of the game then there would be no game. And im sure Rocca didnt intentionally do it.

Sockeye Salmon
02-12-2007, 12:45 PM
:

I was amazed he could put Murph's skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it:(. Mabye I'm bias?

6 spelling/grammar mistakes (and 1 made up word) in 27 words.

Impressive.

Go_Dogs
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Murph is an interesting one. As SS pointed out, his vision and decision making are first class, so off a half back he is very good at engineering a forward movement. He has also shown he can play some fantastic footy as a lead up forward.

I think his best position comes down to where he is most needed at any given time. Imo he could also do alright off a wing.

LostDoggy
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
:

Or pissed?

The Underdog
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Or pissed?

Look, no need to be judge, tribuneral and executionerer...:D

FrediKanoute
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Murph is an interesting one. As SS pointed out, his vision and decision making are first class, so off a half back he is very good at engineering a forward movement. He has also shown he can play some fantastic footy as a lead up forward.

I think his best position comes down to where he is most needed at any given time. Imo he could also do alright off a wing.

Gun players play forward. backmen save games, forwards win them. You can put all of the wonderful tactic you want into AFL, but at the end of the day, you need to kick more goals than the opposition. having a Robert Murphy lurking around the forward line gives you the opportunity to do this. He is a critical to our 2008 season.

bornadog
05-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Gun players play forward. backmen save games, forwards win them. You can put all of the wonderful tactic you want into AFL, but at the end of the day, you need to kick more goals than the opposition. having a Robert Murphy lurking around the forward line gives you the opportunity to do this. He is a critical to our 2008 season.

I agree, I believe this will be a big year for Murphy. He has to step up to the plate and show some leadership. He is a great player when he is on top of his game and inhury free.

hujsh
05-12-2007, 03:10 AM
6 spelling/grammar mistakes (and 1 made up word) in 27 words.

Impressive.

It's an internet forum not a english Exam. It is the summer and i refuse to spell coretalie. U could tell me how to spell the upper leg bits. (I always forget)

The Underdog
05-12-2007, 07:44 AM
It's an internet forum not a english Exam. It is the summer and i refuse to spell coretalie. U could tell me how to spell the upper leg bits. (I always forget)

Which is fine. It's a free world.
However, other people have to be able to read what you write, too. Otherwise you're just going to end up writing to yourself with everyone else ignoring it because it's too hard to work out. Not everyone is a great speller but a bit of effort will be returned.
Oh and it's thighs :)

LostDoggy
05-12-2007, 09:35 AM

It's actually the opposite. Strong backlines win finals and premierships. No better example than '54 and most years thereafter.

Sockeye Salmon
05-12-2007, 10:16 AM

You meant 'thighs'?

I honestly didn't know what word you meant.

Mantis
05-12-2007, 10:35 AM
It's actually the opposite. Strong backlines win finals and premierships. No better example than '54 and most years thereafter.

But you still need skilful and creative players up forward. The question you have to ask is in what position is Murf more valuable to the team? You would have to think that he is more valuable to the team in a half forward role.

Go_Dogs
05-12-2007, 11:38 AM
But you still need skilful and creative players up forward. The question you have to ask is in what position is Murf more valuable to the team? You would have to think that he is more valuable to the team in a half forward role.

If he can play like he did prior to his knee that is.

Twodogs
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM

No problems with it not being an english exam-it isnt-but you still have to spell words well enough to let the rest of us know what you're saying. Not picking on you or anything but spelling and grammar are pretty important.;)

Maybe a dictionary for christmas?

LostDoggy
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
From training today, Murphy will play mainly across HF, leading up 2006 style.

hujsh
05-12-2007, 02:08 PM
No problems with it not being an english exam-it isnt-but you still have to spell words well enough to let the rest of us know what you're saying. Not picking on you or anything but spelling and grammar are pretty important.;)

Maybe a dictionary for christmas?

there was one wierd word that u might not understand and i'm sick of this topic of spelling (i just finished school and am sick of it). Back to Murph!

hujsh
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
If he can play like he did prior to his knee that is.

I think he did play that way occasionaly but he would have to get his fitness back after doing his hammy a couple of times. He is too classy not to recover as his knee doesn't seem to be hampering him

Twodogs
05-12-2007, 02:15 PM
there was one wierd word that u might not understand and i'm sick of this topic of spelling (i just finished school and am sick of it). Back to Murph!

Can I just point out that you spelled 'weird' incorrectly or is that too much?:D

hujsh
05-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Can I just point out that you spelled 'weird' incorrectly or is that too much?:D

that's just cause i don't look at the screen when i type. NO MORE SPELL CHECKS. U ALL LOOK TOO CLOSELY IF U CAN SEE THEM UNLESS U ARE AN ENGLISH TEACHER (i just downloaded spell check so u don't have to worry anymore)

FrediKanoute
05-12-2007, 10:23 PM

Agree. Murphy for mine is wasted in the backline. His hurt factor is amplified when he is in the forward line and at the very least he needs a good player to man him up! We have plenty of goo players capable of playing off the HBF, but not too many capable of consistently kicking a back or spotting up leading forwards.

LostDoggy
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Agree. Murphy for mine is wasted in the backline. His hurt factor is amplified when he is in the forward line and at the very least he needs a good player to man him up! We have plenty of goo players capable of playing off the HBF, but not too many capable of consistently kicking a back or spotting up leading forwards.
Hurt Factor?
Whilst I agree with what you are saying what I worry about is if Murphy plays up forward he is more likely to be hurt again.

GVGjr
06-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Hurt Factor?
Whilst I agree with what you are saying what I worry about is if Murphy plays up forward he is more likely to be hurt again.

Do forwards get injured more is it more about that we ask him to play as a KP player and it knocks him around too much whereas in the back line he plays as a flanker?

LostDoggy
06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Do forwards get injured more is it more about that we ask him to play as a KP player and it knocks him around too much whereas in the back line he plays as a flanker?
I think its more to do with the way we ask him to play.
Sockeye's theory of a lead up half forward.
He has never been a big bloke able to bash and be bashed and then he is continually leading up with passes at his feet or over his head. He is going to wear some of them.

GVGjr
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I think its more to do with the way we ask him to play.
Sockeye's theory of a lead up half forward.
He has never been a big bloke able to bash and be bashed and then he is continually leading up with passes at his feet or over his head. He is going to wear some of them.

OK I tend to agree but hopefully Eade has someone else in mind to play that role and Murphy can become more of a flanker. I actually prefer him in the back line but currently his brilliance and goal kicking abilities are needed in the forward line.

Mantis
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
OK I tend to agree but hopefully Eade has someone else in mind to play that role and Murphy can become more of a flanker. I actually prefer him in the back line but currently his brilliance and goal kicking abilities are needed in the forward line.

I don't really see who else could play this lead up role. Do you have anyone in mind?

GVGjr
06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't really see who else could play this lead up role. Do you have anyone in mind?

I'm struggling because I haven't seen the training group in action but it might have to be a compromise.

Whilst we still have the likes of Wight, Skipper and McDougall on the list it might have some bearing on who plays there albeit not a compelling solution.

Mantis
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm struggling because I haven't seen the training group in action but it might have to be a compromise.

Whilst we still have the likes of Wight, Skipper and McDougall on the list it might have some bearing on who plays there albeit not a compelling solution.

I know what you mean.

It would be great if we could put a 6'4" 100kg player at CHF to play the role that Murf plays so effectively, but we just don't have one who can play the role. The list of players you have added are the probably the most obvious ones. From that list I would like to see Wight try and play the role. He has the mobility, endurance and has shown a little bit of ability in knowing where to run, etc.. I understand that he has a lot to learn, but for his own good he really needs to ask for the opportunity and give it a serious crack.

Go_Dogs
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I know what you mean.

It would be great if we could put a 6'4" 100kg player at CHF to play the role that Murf plays so effectively, but we just don't have one who can play the role. The list of players you have added are the probably the most obvious ones. From that list I would like to see Wight try and play the role. He has the mobility, endurance and has shown a little bit of ability in knowing where to run, etc.. I understand that he has a lot to learn, but for his own good he really needs to ask for the opportunity and give it a serious crack.

I tend to agree with these sentiments too. It simply isn't sustainable for Murph to play as a genuine CHF for the rest of his career. As GVGjr mentioned, playing off a flank would be much more desirable as Murph could then still play a lead up role, without every contest entering our forward line revolving around him.

Wight I think could be a good option, but besides perhaps 1/4 of football, the coaching staff haven't shown him much forward line time. Not too sure if that's an indication that they don't see his future in the forward line or not, but he certainly has some attributes which could do well in the role.

Perhaps if we're going to play Minson as a big lug full forward, we will use Murph and a few smaller guys leading up into space to take control about 80 odd metres out and deliver deeper. It's going to be interesting watching how our game plan develops.

Mantis
06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Perhaps if we're going to play Minson as a big lug full forward, we will use Murph and a few smaller guys leading up into space to take control about 80 odd metres out and deliver deeper. It's going to be interesting watching how our game plan develops.

I still think we need a bigger body across half forward too. Hahn was quite effective in this type of role in the early parts of the 06 season, his bash and crash style was put to good use, but I would prefer to spend a bit more time in the middle of the ground next season.

The Underdog
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
If we play Minson permanently at FF, with Welsh and Johnno making leads perhaps we'll attempt to run the ball deeper and kick deeper into the forward line. Or perhaps Johnno or Welsh will be freed up to play the role across HF. I'm just tossing up ideas because I don't see anyone bigger than Murph who is able to play the lead up HF role as effectively. Maybe we'll leave HF fairly open, kick long into F50 targets and the HF's can run into the 50 as crumbers.

I agree with Ernie's point about Murph's body copping a pasting if he's continually asked to play this role, but as others have also said we just don't have an obvious bigger bodied player to take the role.

Sockeye Salmon
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
If we play Minson permanently at FF, with Welsh and Johnno making leads perhaps we'll attempt to run the ball deeper and kick deeper into the forward line. Or perhaps Johnno or Welsh will be freed up to play the role across HF. I'm just tossing up ideas because I don't see anyone bigger than Murph who is able to play the lead up HF role as effectively. Maybe we'll leave HF fairly open, kick long into F50 targets and the HF's can run into the 50 as crumbers.

I agree with Ernie's point about Murph's body copping a pasting if he's continually asked to play this role, but as others have also said we just don't have an obvious bigger bodied player to take the role.

That's pretty much what we tried to do with Darcy this year and it failed miserably.

hujsh
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Hurt Factor?

Whilst you make a a good point, none of Murph's injuries were caused by where he plays. First he was tackled on the wing, then he did his hammy twice. But i do understand the dangers of him paying CHF I can't think of a time where he has come of second best in a contst.

The Underdog
06-12-2007, 01:17 PM
That's pretty much what we tried to do with Darcy this year and it failed miserably.

Fair call, just not sure how we get around the problem, especially as it seems that they are keen to use Will at FF, and I can't see him making too many long leads.

Mantis
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM

But isn't that style easy to defend? The opposition will zone off our forwards as they know the ball will be coming in long and direct to the hot spot. We need to be much more flexible than that.

It is also a very taxing style to play. It would mean that the half backs and midfielders would have to run and carry the ball more rather than dish the ball off to a leading player.

If we continue with this style of play we have had over the past couple of years ie. small mobile forwards we will rely on Gia, Aker and Murf improving there fitness to allow them to continue to push up the ground. We will also need to rotate more players through this area with help likely to come from Harbrow, Higgins and possibly Lynch. I agree we need to have a tall mobile target inside 50, hopefully Minson can do the job for us, but as previously stated I wouldn't mind seeing Wight having a go at this role through the pre-season.

GVGjr
06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
It is also a very taxing style to play. It would mean that the half backs and midfielders would have to run and carry the ball more rather than dish the ball off to a leading player.

Any on top of that if it isn't executed perfectly it more often than not rebounds quickly and out midfielders and defenders to well out of position and not near their opponent

Mantis
06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Any on top of that if it isn't executed perfectly it more often than not rebounds quickly and out midfielders and defenders to well out of position and not near their opponent

And didn't we see the results of that late this year.

LostDoggy
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Would somebody describe to me what juice Wight has been on over summer that has propelled him from being a backman at Werribee to the hardest position on the field in the big league?

hujsh
06-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Would somebody describe to me what juice Wight has been on over summer that has propelled him from being a backman at Werribee to the hardest position on the field in the big league?

He has gained 7kgs to be fair. I don't think he really knows how to play CHF:(