PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season training - 2016

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
12-11-2015, 11:26 PM
All starts again on Monday. Ist to 4th year players are back, goals are already up.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12243550_10153689957357487_6271505070534951485_n.jpg?oh=3dcf 1ffa6edc5292ad7d354bf8f491b2&oe=56C163C4

comrade
12-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Boom!

Who's going to tear up the track?

Who's going to start slowly?

LostDoggy
12-11-2015, 11:51 PM
If social media is anything to go by, Lukas Webb is flying, Lachie Hunter may be a slow starter....

The Adelaide Connection
13-11-2015, 01:19 AM
Dogs have three on the permission to train list:

Luke Goetz (Western Jets), Charlie Lee (North Ballarat Rebels), Brayden Seir (Northern Knights)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/permission-to-train-list-newman-one-of-four-eagles-back-at-the-club

Dancin' Douggy
13-11-2015, 11:27 AM
ooooh baby.
Bont and Stringer and Boyd with another preseason under their belts.

Look out

comrade
13-11-2015, 12:32 PM
If social media is anything to go by, Lukas Webb is flying, Lachie Hunter may be a slow starter....

What's Hunter been up to?

G-Mo77
13-11-2015, 01:05 PM
We'd have to have an article on how well Libba is doing about a week in.

LostDoggy
13-11-2015, 01:48 PM
What's Hunter been up to?

Nothing bad, just seems to pop up a lot on social media at some event drinking. Not suggesting he is misbehaving, just enjoying himself - so may not be the quickest out of the blocks.

bornadog
13-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Nothing bad, just seems to pop up a lot on social media at some event drinking. Not suggesting he is misbehaving, just enjoying himself - so may not be the quickest out of the blocks.

Spring racing carnival is over, time to get back into it for him.

Greystache
13-11-2015, 02:29 PM

I don't think it'll be an issue. He has the highest natural fitness base at the club. It's more a matter of where he can get to by the end of preseason rather than we're he'll start.

LostDoggy
13-11-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't think it'll be an issue. He has the highest natural fitness base at the club. It's more a matter of where he can get to by the end of preseason rather than we're he'll start.

Agree.

Cyberdoggie
13-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Dogs have three on the permission to train list:

Luke Goetz (Western Jets), Charlie Lee (North Ballarat Rebels), Brayden Seir (Northern Knights)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/permission-to-train-list-newman-one-of-four-eagles-back-at-the-club
Anyone know anything about these guys training with us? any hope of being drafted?

Templeton31
13-11-2015, 03:10 PM
IM hoping T Boyd comes back looking like his fitness has already gone to another level.

Dancin' Douggy
13-11-2015, 03:13 PM
It's kind of easy to forget we've got him.

I keep reminding myself.........AND we've got Tom Boyd.

LostDoggy
13-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Anyone know anything about these guys training with us? any hope of being drafted?

Luke Goetz is a 202cm/91 kg Ruckman who has only played AFL for 1-2 years. Altona boy who dominated WSFL early this year before finishing year in TAC with Western Jets. Very good athlete (2.88 20 metres apparently) but very raw. Good wraps on his potential.

Charlie Lee is a 182/68 Utility from Warrnambool who has spent most of his time forward/mid but played as a rebounding half back this year with NBallarat Rebels in TAC. Did kick 4 goals on debut for South Warrnambool from the wing against men. Reportedly a very good athlete with 'x-factor' but struggles for consistency.

Brayden Sier, 187/85, Northern Knights midfielder who seems the most developed as an AFL player of the 3. Also played a lot of this year for Marcellin College, where he won the Best & Fairest (Marcus Bontempelli also schooled/played at Marcellin, amazingly he could only finish 2nd in their B&F in 2012 - Marcellin has produced heaps of AFL players; Bont, Montagna, Caddy, Newnes, Zaharakis, Karnetzis, Shuey; oldies - Steve Silvagni, Gavin Brown, Paul Dimattina, heaps of others. So winning their B&F is a good indicator of some quality).

Don't know if they are being considered for the draft (would be unusual for them to train with us prior to selection?). Look more likely Rookie/PSD possibles?

Mofra
13-11-2015, 03:45 PM
IM hoping T Boyd comes back looking like his fitness has already gone to another level.
Hopefully he finally gets an uninterrupted pre-season, don't think he's had one as yet

bornadog
13-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Hopefully he finally gets an uninterrupted pre-season, don't think he's had one as yet

Hopefully he will trim up a bit more as well and get his core strength up.. Last year he lost 5kg but that is not enough, he is a big boy and we don't want puppy fat.

The Underdog
15-11-2015, 05:24 PM
All starts again on Monday. Ist to 4th year players are back, goals are already up.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12243550_10153689957357487_6271505070534951485_n.jpg?oh=3dcf 1ffa6edc5292ad7d354bf8f491b2&oe=56C163C4

1st to 4th years. So nearly everyone then?

LostDoggy
16-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Great to see Jackson Macrae fronting the media after training this morning, talking about how hungry the club is to improve and build on last year. Talked about how good it was to have Libba with the group and the need to push each other for spots.

Really impressive kid. Gee we've got a sensational batch of potential young leaders.

bornadog
16-11-2015, 01:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT5Gl36UcAAcYVx.jpg:large

bornadog
16-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Top Three from this mornings run:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT5HvzSUAAAcZFk.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT5HxMLUAAAZpLF.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT5Hx9FVAAEgjPc.jpg

Dancin' Douggy
16-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Macrae really looks like a young Russell Crowe. Even has the same expression.

jazzadogs
16-11-2015, 05:14 PM
That's Dickson, Biggs, McLean in the run? Great signs for all three if they are coming back in that sort of shape.

comrade
16-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Awesome to hear McLean has come back in good nick. Looking forward to a HUGE year from Magic.

LostDoggy
16-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Macrae really looks like a young Russell Crowe. Even has the same expression.

Yup, shave the hair and it'd be just like Romper Stomper era Rusty on the streets of Footscray all over again (totally different persona though thankfully)

Remi Moses
16-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Gee I'd just about have a sneaky bet on Toby winning the rising star.

azabob
16-11-2015, 08:13 PM
That's Dickson, Biggs, McLean in the run? Great signs for all three if they are coming back in that sort of shape.

Great to hear about McLean, i heard he took a while to adapt to the work rate etc required as an AFL player.

The Underdog
16-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Libba's hair is my top pre-season performer so far. Its elite.

Smads57
16-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I've been busting for the start of this pre-season. Usually I am buoyant about any new year, but 2016 can't come quick enough. Agree with the comments that the Magic man might be a smokey for the Rising Star.

F'scary
16-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Three absolute gifts who will just keep on giving: Biggs cost only a 2 pick downgrade in the late 30's, McLean top 10 quality at pick 26, Dickson, a complete smokey at pick 57. You have to be in awe at the astuteness of the recruiting.

kruder
16-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Its great that Tobys shoulder gets another 6month rest before really testing it in the season proper. Smart natural footballer keep them coming Dally.

Sedat
17-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Three absolute gifts who will just keep on giving: Biggs cost only a 2 pick downgrade in the late 30's, McLean top 10 quality at pick 26, Dickson, a complete smokey at pick 57. You have to be in awe at the astuteness of the recruiting.
My favourite part of the Dickson pick is that Essendon tried to hide him so they could get him at pick 59 but Shannon Grant gave us the good oil on him and we swooped a couple of picks earlier - they were completely rattled.

Greystache
17-11-2015, 12:33 PM
My favourite part of the Dickson pick is that Essendon tried to hide him so they could get him at pick 59 but Shannon Grant gave us the good oil on him and we swooped a couple of picks earlier - they were completely rattled.

They had to ask for extra time to work out who to go for instead. They chose Nick O'Brien who they've just delisted after 14 games and 4 goals. They're only 94 goals behind... and counting :)

bornadog
17-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Some boxing

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-17/gloves-on-for-high-intensity-boxing

Sedat
17-11-2015, 02:05 PM
They had to ask for extra time to work out who to go for instead. They chose Nick O'Brien who they've just delisted after 14 games and 4 goals. They're only 94 goals behind... and counting :)
My favourite bit on draft day. Love it when a rattled recruiting manager frantically asks for "2 minutes" and then turns around in a huddle with the rest of the list management team because his prized pick has just been whisked away by another club.

LostDoggy
17-11-2015, 02:17 PM
My favourite bit on draft day. Love it when a rattled recruiting manager frantically asks for "2 minutes" and then turns around in a huddle with the rest of the list management team because his prized pick has just been whisked away by another club.

It is surprising to me that happens. Surely these guys discuss contingencies. "If Option A is gone, who's our next choice?" Given the nature of the night, that's half the planning I would've thought.

Dancin' Douggy
17-11-2015, 02:24 PM

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

always right
17-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Some boxing

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-17/gloves-on-for-high-intensity-boxing

Bailey Dale still has plenty of work to do but he's already looking a bit bigger....or is it wishful thinking?

bornadog
17-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Bailey Dale still has plenty of work to do but he's already looking a bit bigger....or is it wishful thinking?

Turned 19 in July, so yes lots of work to do yet.

jazzadogs
17-11-2015, 07:41 PM
It is surprising to me that happens. Surely these guys discuss contingencies. "If Option A is gone, who's our next choice?" Given the nature of the night, that's half the planning I would've thought.

If they're anything like me on Fantasy Draft Night, it's quite easy to get rattled.

F'scary
17-11-2015, 08:38 PM

No, I agree. He's one year older, he's a professional sportsman in an elite training program for the past 12 months. He's looking a bit stronger than when he first joined the list.

Remi Moses
17-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Surprised The dodo didn't fire in a protest of some sort

GVGjr
17-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Surprised The dodo didn't fire in a protest of some sort

Whats this in response to?

Twodogs
17-11-2015, 10:51 PM
If they're anything like me on Fantasy Draft Night, it's quite easy to get rattled.

They do it for a living though. It would be easy to understand if they were doing your job and got a bit flustered at a setback.

Dancin' Douggy
17-11-2015, 10:55 PM
They do it for a living though. It would be easy to understand if they were doing your job and got a bit flustered at a setback.

I think they just had absolutely no idea that anyone else even had Dixon on their radar at all.

Twodogs
17-11-2015, 10:58 PM

Us pinching Dickson.

GVGjr
17-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Us pinching Dickson.

I should have kept going backwards in the thread to eventually find the link. Silly me thought it was something cryptic to do with Bailey Dale

Twodogs
18-11-2015, 12:05 AM
I think they just had absolutely no idea that anyone else even had Dixon on their radar at all.

The fact one of their assistants was going to another club with the knowledge about Deadeye and not thinking he was going to pass on the information was a pretty silly slip them. Especially if they thought thet had him hidden and his presence was staying strictly within Windy Hill. Amateur hour by them.

Twodogs
18-11-2015, 12:09 AM
I should have kept going backwards in the thread to eventually find the link. Silly me thought it was something cryptic to do with Bailey Dale

Was another club going to take Dale?

We had Collingwood a bit flummoxed one time too. Who was that player?

boydogs
18-11-2015, 12:43 AM

Bonts? Collingwood rated him the best player in the draft and wanted him at 6 but we took him at 4 and Collingwood took Scharenberg

Twodogs
18-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Bonts? Collingwood rated him the best player in the draft and wanted him at 6 but we took him at 4 and Collingwood took Scharenberg

I think it was too. It was lovely watching the frown form on the Collingwood delegations' faces.

soupman
18-11-2015, 07:14 AM

It was Easton Wood. Like Dickson we just beat them to the punch. They were keen on Bont but were aware of our interest as opposed to being surprised we knew of Easton Woods very existence.

GVGjr
18-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Was another club going to take Dale?

This happened with Allen Jackovic as well but this might not be what you are talking about.

Twodogs
18-11-2015, 09:18 PM
This happened with Allen Jackovic as well but this might not be what you are talking about.

I listened to that one in the car park of a church in Airies Inlet. It was the only place I could find that had car radio reception.

KT31
19-11-2015, 12:40 PM
I listened to that one in the car park of a church in Airies Inlet. It was the only place I could find that had car radio reception.

Wished you had prayed for it not to happen.;)

Twodogs
19-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Wished you had prayed for it not to happen.;)

I can remember exactly what I said and I probably ought not to have said it considering where I was.

Remi Moses
19-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Dickson and Essendon

bornadog
20-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-19/dogs-keen-in-week-one)

Western Bulldogs Physical Performance Manager Mathew Inness says he’s been pleased with the efforts in week one of the Club’s pre-season campaign.

The Bulldogs’ first to four year players returned on Monday, with the five years-plus players returning on Monday 23 November and the Club’s draftees joining the following Monday.

Despite the spread of players returning, Inness says he’s been satisfied with the work of the young group this week.

“It’s a bit of a staggered start… We’ve got a testing phase and then we just gradually pick up the volume so when we come in post-Christmas we can really start to lift it.

“It’s been good… They (first to four year players) have come back keen and in decent shape.”

Despite strength and conditioning being a major focus of the pre-season campaign, Inness said skills-based sessions will also be included from the outset.

“We get straight into the skills so a bit of testing to start, they’ve got cross training and weights, on the track it’s mainly skills with some conditioning at the end of it.”

Inness echoed Jack Macrae’s sentiments earlier this week, naming Tory Dickson as a notable standout from the first week of training.

“Tory Dickson’s come back well, Joel Hamling’s come back in good shape and Toby McLean’s another one that’s come back that’s impressed so far.”

Spending 2014 as the Club’s Strength and Conditioning Coach, Inness was promoted to Physical Performance Manager in September this year.

Ozza
20-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Excited to hear about Dickson, Hamling and McLean. All are very important to our chances of improvement this season.

Dickson is still relatively young/new to AFL footy with 3 seasons under his belt, plus one year that was a write-off due to injury. To think that he may well improve physically through another pre-season, like the young players - is a real bonus.

Twodogs
20-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Excited to hear about Dickson, Hamling and McLean. All are very important to our chances of improvement this season.

Dickson is still relatively young/new to AFL footy with 3 seasons under his belt, plus one year that was a write-off due to injury. To think that he may well improve physically through another pre-season, like the young players - is a real bonus.

Wowee. He could too!

bornadog
23-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Two chances to watch the boys train at Whitten Oval this week, Tuesday @ 2:30pm + Saturday @ 8:30am. All other sessions are closed

lemmon
23-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Any idea if tomorrow's draftees will be having a run around on Saturday BAD?

bornadog
23-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Any idea if tomorrow's draftees will be having a run around on Saturday BAD?

Good point - not sure but you would think so.

If you are social club member, you can meet the new draftees at next Monday's Social club event.

1eyedog
23-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Adcock training with us do we have any interest in him?

G-Mo77
23-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Adcock training with us do we have any interest in him?

The fact that he's training shows we're interested. I think he's almost a certainty to be rookie listed.

LostDoggy
23-11-2015, 11:31 AM

If you are social club member, you can meet the new draftees at next Monday's Social club event.

Must be an insane few days for these kids. Imagine you're an 18YO in Tassie or WA or wherever on a Tuesday night with no idea where you're going to be over the next few years. Within a few days you're off to Melbourne or Adelaide or wherever, finding a new home (probably first time out of the family home), mixing with new teamates who would seem like superheroes, and being paraded in front of a multitude of strangers who are looking upon you with great expectation.

Really wonder whether the draft should be 2-3 weeks earlier, giving these kids a chance to find their feet before they are thrown into the hurly burly (they will already be 2 weeks behind the 2nd-5th year players of the club training wise, aside from everything else they are dealing with).

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2015, 11:31 AM
The fact that he's training shows we're interested. I think he's almost a certainty to be rookie listed.

We're in the premiership window. Hopefully he does a Duperouzel.

Bulldog Joe
23-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Must be an insane few days for these kids. Imagine you're an 18YO in Tassie or WA or wherever on a Tuesday night with no idea where you're going to be over the next few years. Within a few days you're off to Melbourne or Adelaide or wherever, finding a new home (probably first time out of the family home), mixing with new teamates who would seem like superheroes, and being paraded in front of a multitude of strangers who are looking upon you with great expectation.

Really wonder whether the draft should be 2-3 weeks earlier, giving these kids a chance to find their feet before they are thrown into the hurly burly (they will already be 2 weeks behind the 2nd-5th year players of the club training wise, aside from everything else they are dealing with).

The draft has been put back in recent years until the completion of year 12 exams. Conflicting priorities abound.

1eyedog
23-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Perhaps. I heard he asked 5 clubs rather than we asked him. Just wondering if we are genuinely interested or cuttin the guy a break. Where does he fit in down back. Depth?

Mantis
23-11-2015, 06:06 PM

The draft was moved from an early Nov date to a late Nov date a few years back such to allow those studying year 12 would be able to concentrate on completing their exams without the pressure of the draft too.

chef
23-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Happy to pick up Adcock, we should get a couple of decent seasons out of him, he's got leadership skills and should be able to do a role for the team.

GVGjr
23-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Happy to pick up Adcock, we should get a couple of decent seasons out of him, he's got leadership skills and should be able to do a role for the team.

I've warmed to us picking him as a rookie. We have a very inexperienced list and his character is first class.

chef
23-11-2015, 07:58 PM
I've warmed to us picking him as a rookie. We have a very inexperienced list and his character is first class.

Yep, I'm surprised the Lions let him go as he still has a fair bit to offer.

GVGjr
23-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Yep, I'm surprised the Lions let him go as he still has a fair bit to offer.

I can see why. We let Cross go because we thought we were further away from being a legitimate finals contender. Now that we have broken through that barrier we have reassessed and realise we need to bridge our level of experience. We also have injuries to Clay and Roarke Smith so having Adcock as a rookie there is little risk.

The Lions are 3 years away from being a finals contender.

josie
23-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Really happy if we pick Adcock, especially in Rookie draft.

For the doubters out there head to Lions website and watch him carve us up in last h&a match this year, and his post match interview. Looks like a thorough professional, well spoken and at 30 yo likely to be great value. Ex captain to boot so more leadership material in seniors or VFL side will be handy.

Also means (x fingers) that we are more likely to pick tall fella's in the draft and for other rookie spots - assuming they are good enough.

LostDoggy
23-11-2015, 08:49 PM
We must be confident of picking him up because there is already a video highlights package of him on the Bulldogs website !!!+

G-Mo77
23-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Perhaps. I heard he asked 5 clubs rather than we asked him. Just wondering if we are genuinely interested or cuttin the guy a break. Where does he fit in down back. Depth?

I don't think we'd waste our or his time if we were just cutting him a break. I'm almost 100% confident he'll be with us next season. Almost. :)

Where does he fit? He's depth and can play back, think he's played some forward as well. Boyd's on weary legs and gets rested frequently and Murph is getting any younger either so there would be a spot for him down back. He'll be OK for us should we get him.

F'scary
23-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Is Adcock a local Ballarat lad with family still in Ballarat? I understand he was recruited from a Ballarat team by the Brisbane Lions.

Twodogs
23-11-2015, 09:56 PM
We can rely on Boyd, Murphy, Morris and Adcock to provide 60 odd games of top quality AFL standard football between them next year. That's a cornerstone you can build around.

bornadog
24-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Senior players were back at training today

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-23/training-update-senior-players-return

soupman
24-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Based on Montgomery's comments in the Boyd article we are a lock to get him unless someone else jumps in.

jazzadogs
24-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Two chances to watch the boys train at Whitten Oval this week, Tuesday @ 2:30pm + Saturday @ 8:30am. All other sessions are closed

Any idea how long the sessions normally run for? Was hoping to get down this afternoon but think I'll be up early on Friday instead!

Twodogs
24-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Any idea how long the sessions normally run for? Was hoping to get down this afternoon but think I'll be up early on Friday instead!

Usually these sessions go for 45 minutes to an hour.

Bulldog4life
24-11-2015, 12:39 PM

I will be there:)

LostDoggy
25-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Luke Goetz is a 202cm/91 kg Ruckman who has only played AFL for 1-2 years. Altona boy who dominated WSFL early this year before finishing year in TAC with Western Jets. Very good athlete (2.88 20 metres apparently) but very raw. Good wraps on his potential.

Charlie Lee is a 182/68 Utility from Warrnambool who has spent most of his time forward/mid but played as a rebounding half back this year with NBallarat Rebels in TAC. Did kick 4 goals on debut for South Warrnambool from the wing against men. Reportedly a very good athlete with 'x-factor' but struggles for consistency.

Brayden Sier, 187/85, Northern Knights midfielder who seems the most developed as an AFL player of the 3. Also played a lot of this year for Marcellin College, where he won the Best & Fairest (Marcus Bontempelli also schooled/played at Marcellin, amazingly he could only finish 2nd in their B&F in 2012 - Marcellin has produced heaps of AFL players; Bont, Montagna, Caddy, Newnes, Zaharakis, Karnetzis, Shuey; oldies - Steve Silvagni, Gavin Brown, Paul Dimattina, heaps of others. So winning their B&F is a good indicator of some quality).

Don't know if they are being considered for the draft (would be unusual for them to train with us prior to selection?). Look more likely Rookie/PSD possibles?

Interesting that Collingwood went with Sier first pick given he was training with us. Given his similar background to Bont, maybe they couldn't stand us beating them to the punch again and pulled the trigger early?

comrade
25-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Interesting that Collingwood went with Sier first pick given he was training with us. Given his similar background to Bont, maybe they couldn't stand us beating them to the punch again and pulled the trigger early?

They were probably hoping he'd sneak into the rookie draft but had their hand forced when he started training with us :)

KT31
25-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Photo's of the new recruits next to established players please so we can get a guage on size and height.

F'scary
25-11-2015, 10:51 PM

I will be there:)

Put us all out of our misery. Take a tape measure. Take some scales. Get Zaine's vital stats.

Bulldog4life
26-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Put us all out of our misery. Take a tape measure. Take some scales. Get Zaine's vital stats.

If I get an opportunity I will definitely ask him F'scray.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 02:39 PM
If I get an opportunity I will definitely ask him F'scray.

Word it delicately B4L. If you straight out ask him for his vital stats, he might get the wrong idea.

Bulldog4life
26-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Word it delicately B4L. If you straight out ask him for his vital stats, he might get the wrong idea.

Yes I'll be careful.:)

Twodogs
26-11-2015, 03:46 PM

You wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 03:53 PM
You wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Of course not

Rocket Science
26-11-2015, 08:19 PM

Particularly if you're brandishing a tape measure.

No, there's nothing wrong with that.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 09:58 PM
The game is unpredictable, especially in terms of injuries. Imagine Boyd going down with a 5 or 6 week injury and being able to bring Jed Adcock in to fill the hole! I like

jeemak
27-11-2015, 12:03 AM
There's way too much innuendo in this thread, and it's only week four.

LostDoggy
27-11-2015, 12:22 AM
There's way too much innuendo in this thread, and it's only week four.

If that's a problem, I would refrain from a term such as innuendo. That's just asking for trouble.

Avoid the rush
27-11-2015, 02:26 PM
If that's a problem, I would refrain from a term such as innuendo. That's just asking for trouble.

Isn't an innuendo an Italian suppository

Twodogs
27-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Heh!

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2015, 01:39 AM

I got one of those at home at 81 Droop St Footscray in about 1959 after I obliged my mother when she asked me to bend over. That was the last time I bent over for anybody.

GVGjr
28-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I went along this morning and had a look. The session today was a little different than others compared to last season with a greater emphasis on kicking on the non preferred foot. There was also a focus on crowding players and forcing them to get their possessions away quickly and accurately. This really tested some players decision making.

I say this jokingly but Collins can't be 17yo.

Clay Smith and Liberatore trained away from the group, mainly running and kicking the football. Liberatore looks so much leaner than 12 months ago and I wonder if he will be a late starter to the season.

This time 12 months ago Tory Dickson's value and position within the team was being heavily questioned by many here but after an uninterrupted pre-season he played right through the year and was one of our better players.
I was having a look at Tom Campbell today and I'm hoping that an injury free summer will result in a Tory Dickson type breakout season for him. He was moving so well in all the drills. Good luck to the big man.

Mantis
28-11-2015, 12:39 PM
I went along this morning and had a look. The session today was a little different than others compared to last season with a greater emphasis on kicking on the non preferred foot. There was also a focus on crowding players and forcing them to get their possessions away quickly and accurately. This really tested some players decision making.

Who were the players that struggled?

Clay Smith and Liberatore trained away from the group, mainly running and kicking the football. Liberatore looks so much leaner than 12 months ago and I wonder if he will be a late starter to the season.

You would think Libba would be right to go come round 1 considering his injury occurred in early Feb.

I hope Clay is given a full 12 months off too.

F'scary
28-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Any news on young Roarke Smith?

GVGjr
28-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Who were the players that struggled?

There were two groups and I focused on the one on my side fo the ground and I thought Biggs got caught a couple of times and his kicks were picked off a couple of times as well. Caleb Daniel on the other hand was one I thought handled the congested play well.
Cordy might have got caught a couple of times but looked better than most.

You would think Libba would be right to go come round 1 considering his injury occurred in early Feb.

I hope Clay is given a full 12 months off too.

Perhaps I'm too cautious but Liberatore still looks a bit off the mark for mine although I could be thrown by how much leaner he looked than 12 months back.

Smads57
28-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I was at the training session this morning for only the second half hour and watched a training drill out on the Hawkins wing. The drill resembled moving the ball from one forward flank to the opposing forward flank with two teams of approx 8 players each. Jake and Crammers were on one team and Toyd on the other. 'Suckers' (as the players referred to him) was also part of the drill. Players to impress included Toby McLean, Picken, Macrae, Jake and Hunter. Wouldn't mind if someone else who was there could confirm their opinion on whether Dale looked a couple of centimetres taller. He moved well also.
Some of the players then played an 8 a side soccer match in front of the Gent Stand. Clearly soccer is not for the big boys with Zaine lacking in any dribbling skills whereas the little blokes (Hunter, Daniel, Hamilton) got stuck into the game.

GVGjr
28-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I was at the training session this morning for only the second half hour and watched a training drill out on the Hawkins wing. The drill resembled moving the ball from one forward flank to the opposing forward flank with two teams of approx 8 players each. Jake and Crammers were on one team and Toyd on the other. 'Suckers' (as the players referred to him) was also part of the drill. Players to impress included Toby McLean, Picken, Macrae, Jake and Hunter. Wouldn't mind if someone else who was there could confirm their opinion on whether Dale looked a couple of centimetres taller. He moved well also.
Some of the players then played an 8 a side soccer match in front of the Gent Stand. Clearly soccer is not for the big boys with Zaine lacking in any dribbling skills whereas the little blokes (Hunter, Daniel, Hamilton) got stuck into the game.

I certainly would agree that Dale looked taller. I was also impressed by McLean and Hunter.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 02:49 PM
There were two groups and I focused on the one on my side fo the ground and I thought Biggs got caught a couple of times and his kicks were picked off a couple of times as well. Caleb Daniel on the other hand was one I thought handled the congested play well.
Cordy might have got caught a couple of times but looked better than most.

Perhaps I'm too cautious but Liberatore still looks a bit off the mark for mine although I could be thrown by how much leaner he looked than 12 months back.

Libba's leg still looks pencil thin to me.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 02:51 PM

I read that he was slated to return later in the year.

Templeton31
28-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Any observations on Tommy Boyd GVG / Smads?

jazzadogs
28-11-2015, 04:52 PM
I was reading a few interesting things about ACL recos last week:
- number of sportsmen returning to 'previous level' hits it's peak at about 2 years post injury (60% returned to normal) then starts dropping off again. Only one third are at their 'previous level' after one year.
- there is no statistical difference in return to play percentages at 2 years between patients who have had ACL reco surgery, and those who have been conservatively managed (ie no surgery) -- 39% for no surgery, 44% with immediate surgery, 30% with delayed surgery -- interesting in the case of Clay, as someone with conservative management is playing with no intact ACL but relying on their quads for stability...
- after 6 months, every month you wait before return to play reduces your risk of reinjury by 24%!!!
- there is a massive psychological component - there is a higher percentage of return to play, earlier return to play and better perception of recovery in psychologically sound patients

It was all from an as yet unpublished paper but found it quite interesting.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 05:24 PM
- number of sportsmen returning to 'previous level' hits it's peak at about 2 years post injury (60% returned to normal) then starts dropping off again. Only one third are at their 'previous level' after one year.
- there is no statistical difference in return to play percentages at 2 years between patients who have had ACL reco surgery, and those who have been conservatively managed (ie no surgery) -- 39% for no surgery, 44% with immediate surgery, 30% with delayed surgery -- interesting in the case of Clay, as someone with conservative management is playing with no intact ACL but relying on their quads for stability...
- after 6 months, every month you wait before return to play reduces your risk of reinjury by 24%!!!
- there is a massive psychological component - there is a higher percentage of return to play, earlier return to play and better perception of recovery in psychologically sound patients

That certainly puts the number of AFL players who get back in the higher bracket because I would think it would be more than a third.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 05:24 PM

That certainly puts the number of AFL players who get back in the higher bracket because I would think it would be more than a third.

jazzadogs
28-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Yeh it wasn't specific to 'elite' sport as far as I could tell, so would have included me getting back to div2 amateur football. Small sample size of only 100 people too, so definitely not definitive but still interesting!

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 09:25 PM

I went to training this morning and noticed Roarke doing some very simple, slow leg lefts (Just lifting his leg with knee bent). He was just inside the door of the training centre

F'scary
28-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I went to training this morning and noticed Roarke doing some very simple, slow leg lefts (Just lifting his leg with knee bent). He was just inside the door of the training centre

Thanks meshe1969, sounds like he is a long way off playing - I got a little optimistic with Libba's news and forgot how late in the season Roarke was injured.

Smads57
28-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Any observations on Tommy Boyd GVG / Smads?
Tom Boyd was part of the drill I was watching on the Hawkins wing and moved well - nothing spectacular just looked comfortable playing his role. He wasn't asked by the coaching staff to play a particular role different from any of the other participants from what I observed.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Thanks meshe1969, sounds like he is a long way off playing - I got a little optimistic with Libba's news and forgot how late in the season Roarke was injured.

I think third last game against West Coast although not 100%

comrade
29-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I think third last game against West Coast although not 100%

Did it the week after in the VFL against Werribee.

GVGjr
29-11-2015, 12:01 PM
It's hard keeping track of all the players but I tried to keep an eye on Collins, Adcock and Williams.
Collins just trained like he had done those drills a number of times and looked comfortable. Williams has quick reflexes and nice skills and Adcock of course had seen it all before. I can see Adcock improving on his form from last year if he gets the opportunities. This will be a substantially better training facility than what he has been used to and he has a point to prove. When his name was initially linked to us I wasn't 100% sure but I now think he will be a great addition.

One other player that I thought was noticeable was Crameri. I know he normally trains well but he did keep catching the eye and I'm still hopeful that Tom Campbell keeps improving. He looked alright yesterday

Hotdog60
29-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks to all those commenting on the training and the players. It's stuff like this when your interstate is a god send.

Keep it up.

comrade
29-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Hopefully Crammers ins't too preoccupied by the ongoing WADA stuff. It clearly put him behind the 8 ball last year so a fit and firing Stewie from round 1 will be a big help.

Roughy vs TC vs Minno. Who wins the battle for number 1 ruck spot?

GVGjr
29-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Hopefully Crammers ins't too preoccupied by the ongoing WADA stuff. It clearly put him behind the 8 ball last year so a fit and firing Stewie from round 1 will be a big help.

Roughy vs TC vs Minno. Who wins the battle for number 1 ruck spot?

I suspect that Minno has a line though his name with the selectors unless there are injuries so it probably comes down to TC to Roughead. They will probably start with Roughead but I could see TC overtaking him.

Templeton31
29-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks to all those commenting on the training and the players. It's stuff like this when your interstate is a god send.

Keep it up.

I second this wholeheartedly. Thanks guys!

Bulldog4life
29-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Did it the week after in the VFL against Werribee.

Thanks

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Bailey Dale looked a lot taller to me, very long arms and legs.
I was most impressed with Webby, he is in REALLY good shape!

kruder
29-11-2015, 07:10 PM
I suspect that Minno has a line though his name with the selectors unless there are injuries so it probably comes down to TC to Roughead. They will probably start with Roughead but I could see TC overtaking him.

I agree TC will be hard to hold out particularly with a full preseason under his belt.

Maddog37
29-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Does Minno look leaner?

bornadog
29-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Does Minno look leaner?

You wouldn't think so after only the first week of training after a break.

Maddog37
29-11-2015, 09:15 PM
You wouldn't think so after only the first week of training after a break.

I would hope he trims up and can get some more mobility into his game as he can still be important for our young team.

bornadog
29-11-2015, 09:36 PM
I would hope he trims up and can get some more mobility into his game as he can still be important for our young team.

Hopefully by end of preseason.

GVGjr
29-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Does Minno look leaner?

I saw him tonight at a function. He looked about the same. I'm not sure dropping some weight will change too much for him but it can't hurt.

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Any sightings of the Kobester???

Maddog37
30-11-2015, 08:15 PM
I saw him tonight at a function. He looked about the same. I'm not sure dropping some weight will change too much for him but it can't hurt.

Lots of older guys drop weight to extend their careers and Wil is seriously under the pump. He has to make drastic changes to his approach to the game. I think TC might be a good player too but I like the idea of competition for ruck spots and rotating them from game to game.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:15 AM
The next open training sessions at Victoria University Whitten Oval will be 2:30pm Tuesday 1 December and 8:30am Saturday 5 December.

For the duration of preseason, Monday and Thursday training sessions at VU Whitten Oval will be closed to the public until further notice.

jeemak
01-12-2015, 01:53 AM
I don't see how Minson losing a chunk of kg's will actually help his game, as if it would he'd have already done it more drastically than he has in the incremental decreases we've seen over the last couple of years.

He's a limited aerobic performer and he always will be. He'd be better off changing one or two subtle areas of his technique and approach to contests around the ground in my view, to limit the negative infringements he commits to limit his overall risk profile when playing.

LostDoggy
01-12-2015, 02:06 AM
It's not just Minson. Boyd and Adams (and probably others) are also on programmes to reduce bulk and improve mobility.

Bulldog Joe
01-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I don't see how Minson losing a chunk of kg's will actually help his game, as if it would he'd have already done it more drastically than he has in the incremental decreases we've seen over the last couple of years.

He's a limited aerobic performer and he always will be. He'd be better off changing one or two subtle areas of his technique and approach to contests around the ground in my view, to limit the negative infringements he commits to limit his overall risk profile when playing.

The issue with Minson is really about the change of the game particularly with Bevo.

Under McCartney we played a stoppage based game which really suited Will's skill set, unfortunately his strength (which is his strength) is of more limited value in the more open style.

He lacks the speed to get back and defend and his impotence at marking contests seriously detracts from what the side is trying to do.

I have no doubt he is still our best at the actual ruck contest, but with so many sides employing the 3rd man up, the real ruck contest is now limited to the centre bounce. Even there the rule changes over the years have been designed to advantage the really tall or high leapers, neither of which are attributes of Will.

Mofra
01-12-2015, 09:56 AM
He's a limited aerobic performer and he always will be.
Anyone who has rucked 80% of an AFL game is certainly not a limited aerobic performer.
His issue is positioning and zoning after 10+ years of development as a stoppage ruckman. It's one hell of a change and there are question marks over his ability to change.

I'd love Roughy or Campbell to step up but realistically Minson is a fair way ahead of Campbell right now and far more durable than Roughy. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the no 1 ruck mantle back in 2016 - anyone who takes the ruck AA spot during their career has something to work with.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 09:56 AM
It's not just Minson. Boyd and Adams (and probably others) are also on programmes to reduce bulk and improve mobility.

Saw Tom Boyd at the social club function last night, surrounded by fans. He is a big big boy.

Bulldog4life
01-12-2015, 10:08 AM
The next open training sessions at Victoria University Whitten Oval will be 2:30pm Tuesday 1 December and 8:30am Saturday 5 December.

For the duration of preseason, Monday and Thursday training sessions at VU Whitten Oval will be closed to the public until further notice.

Refining the game plan?

bornadog
01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Saw Tom Boyd at the social club function last night, surrounded by fans. He is a big big boy.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/boyd_zpsauuunhcz.jpg

Note: edited photo to cut out unknown kids.

jeemak
01-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Double......

jeemak
01-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Anyone who has rucked 80% of an AFL game is certainly not a limited aerobic performer.
His issue is positioning and zoning after 10+ years of development as a stoppage ruckman. It's one hell of a change and there are question marks over his ability to change.

I'd love Roughy or Campbell to step up but realistically Minson is a fair way ahead of Campbell right now and far more durable than Roughy. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the no 1 ruck mantle back in 2016 - anyone who takes the ruck AA spot during their career has something to work with.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Will, but there's a ceiling on his ability to cover ground and it's being exposed by the evolution of our game plan, hence my comment.

I agree that modern positioning and zoning for a ruck who has played a certain way for a ten plus year career can be difficult to adjust to.

always right
01-12-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Will, but there's a ceiling on his ability to cover ground and it's being exposed by the evolution of our game plan, hence my comment.

I agree that modern positioning and zoning for a ruck who has played a certain way for a ten plus year career can be difficult to adjust to.

Is he really that different to Jacobs when it comes to his ability to cover the ground?

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:19 PM

In general, but there will be opportunities for him this season, depending on who we play, and who we have in speed wise. If the pro / con ratio is right, as it was last season and we brought him back in, play him. Besides, he's a cult favorite and the old ladies love him!

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
In general, but there will be opportunities for him this season, depending on who we play, and who we have in speed wise. If the pro / con ratio is right, as it was last season and we brought him back in, play him. Besides, he's a cult favorite and the old ladies love him!

You are right. Minson will play games where the matchup to the opposition warrants it, like the Elimination final. He is still the best ruckman we have right this minute. I am not basing this on potential, like a Cambell or Roughead. Other ruckman have to prove they are the better option, but right now Minson has the runs on the board, even though he doesn't suit the game plan.

jeemak
01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Is he really that different to Jacobs when it comes to his ability to cover the ground?

Possibly not, but do we play the same way Adelaide does?

Anything I'm saying is in the context of the way we play, so if I go back to my original point it's that Will's likely to have issues covering the ground and fitting into our structures, so if they're a weakness then he needs to ensure he works to his strengths (stoppages) when he gets his chances.

If he becomes as good a stoppage ruck as he's shown he can be then that will increase his chances of remaining relevant.

always right
01-12-2015, 01:25 PM
If we've learned anything about Beveridge is that he isn't afraid to select blokes on the basis of who we are playing. It's therefore very possible that like 2015, we will see Minson, Roughy and Campbell all playing over the course of the season.

azabob
01-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Refining the game plan?

I imagine so. I assume Beveridge has more layers to add to the game plan.

Exciting times ahead.

Go_Dogs
01-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks for posting the training times BAD, will look forward to getting down on Saturday.

Greystache
02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I had yesterday off work so went along for a look. Pretty disappointing for what was supposed to be a fan open session. It started early. I got there a bit before 2.30 and training was underway, it was finished by 3pm.

Training was 15 mins of players in two lines kicking to each other on their opposite foot from a standing start. Then 15 mins of marking practice on the tackle bag for one group, while the other did some tap work stoppage drills. A small group of younger players did some light tackling technique work.

Nothing really to report. Collins looks huge in person, easily as big as any of the mature players, and bigger than someone like Talia. If Z Cordy has put on weight I'm not sure you could measure it in grams. He's still one of the skinniest players on the list, only Brad Lynch and Bailey Williams would be skinnier. Bailey Dale is about the same size now. Tory Dickson stayed on the track after all the other players finished and was put through a brutal running session with Matt Inness. Not sure why it was just him but it was certainly punishing. Bonti and Kobe sat on the sidelines and didn't get involved.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-12-2015, 12:51 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/boyd_zpsauuunhcz.jpg

Note: edited photo to cut out unknown kids.

Keep the crutches away from Tom Boyd please!
Is there an open training session this Tues 8th? I'll try and make it from Frankston.

Greystache
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Actually I should add there was one stand out in the marking drills, Easton Wood. Some of the players struggled to get a hand on the ball on many cases, Minson being a big offender, Stringer was pretty poor too. But Wood marked everything in sight. Looks a million dollars at the moment too. Campbell looked to be marking much better, could be over his shoulder problems hopefully.

Ozza
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Actually I should add there was one stand out in the marking drills, Easton Wood. Some of the players struggled to get a hand on the ball on many cases, Minson being a big offender, Stringer was pretty poor too. But Wood marked everything in sight. Looks a million dollars at the moment too. Campbell looked to be marking much better, could be over his shoulder problems hopefully.

Seeing the footage of Wood on the app' - the only thing I'm worried about with his footy is that he'll hurt himself!

His confidence would be sky high.

Twodogs
02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I reckon of all the 'project' players we've ever had a Wood is far and away the best.

comrade
02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
My tip is Tory Dickson has an even bigger breakout season next year, with more midfield time.

bornadog
03-12-2015, 12:05 AM
Is there an open training session this Tues 8th? I'll try and make it from Frankston.

Not sure, need to check that out

bornadog
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Training vision
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-12-02/new-bulldogs-hit-the-track

bornadog
03-12-2015, 03:11 PM
http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/5/FAN0154-Training-EDM-ART.jpg (http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsS72gw96Qm63hOyyCyqekjtPqdTTSjhOUYC-rhK--UyYCevdETvvpd7bzOrxJ6XXXzyry9EVdGQQ-hc5u7Hv2DNZ1KQVlxOVLMZrUk-fEdSDaIendKzAO3HXz_nVNCWq8XHTbFILCzDAkT4QkQuEyCJtdmZNTaxVZic Hs3joUSyMrKrKr01SfBoHQRr7O-4-DaNnVGXivNVv2gJgVAsZXap3tt8e8F-qemnXFLLfLWeKCyZrSn6i3z3P1EVp89I8WgoYwqehPyqbXF2X7IA4NRAQX47 nLgvd7a91QsyqejhOqekm1ObGezDdjdAaJMJVt5NNN4QsyEebCzAQsIee8Cz AQsI5TxP3X8UKztWXPX1tUs2y5mUm_FGSfBY9ZelyLPlSA_zOVJ6WoVMS15p gd43t3h1IPh06gCq8059ODfU6y0c6tfd43JoCy0i9NBiqKQd40om-1Ew1ctB2k29Ewhjd40tZzry9LqKxbSGoLw__)

Maddog37
03-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Santa and one of his elves!!

Twodogs
03-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Santa and one of his elves!!

We should have bought Mark Alvey back.

Rocco Jones
03-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Despite Will being out of favour, he played more games as 1st ruck than any other Bulldog.

LostDoggy
03-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Despite Will being out of favour, he played more games as 1st ruck than any other Bulldog.

Great stat.

F'scary
03-12-2015, 11:33 PM
http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/5/FAN0154-Training-EDM-ART.jpg (http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsS72gw96Qm63hOyyCyqekjtPqdTTSjhOUYC-rhK--UyYCevdETvvpd7bzOrxJ6XXXzyry9EVdGQQ-hc5u7Hv2DNZ1KQVlxOVLMZrUk-fEdSDaIendKzAO3HXz_nVNCWq8XHTbFILCzDAkT4QkQuEyCJtdmZNTaxVZic Hs3joUSyMrKrKr01SfBoHQRr7O-4-DaNnVGXivNVv2gJgVAsZXap3tt8e8F-qemnXFLLfLWeKCyZrSn6i3z3P1EVp89I8WgoYwqehPyqbXF2X7IA4NRAQX47 nLgvd7a91QsyqejhOqekm1ObGezDdjdAaJMJVt5NNN4QsyEebCzAQsIee8Cz AQsI5TxP3X8UKztWXPX1tUs2y5mUm_FGSfBY9ZelyLPlSA_zOVJ6WoVMS15p gd43t3h1IPh06gCq8059ODfU6y0c6tfd43JoCy0i9NBiqKQd40om-1Ew1ctB2k29Ewhjd40tZzry9LqKxbSGoLw__)

Watch out - St Kilda footballer creeping up on you!!!!

Mofra
04-12-2015, 11:28 AM
I do really think Bevo was giving a few players on the list a chance to show they should continue on the list in 2016.
Ayce came up short, Darley unlucky, Grant wasn't going to take us further.

Harsh calls but this year I don't expect us to play 40 players again. Will is still leading the ruck race for mine until someone properly takes over

Twodogs
04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I do really think Bevo was giving a few players on the list a chance to show they should continue on the list in 2016.
Ayce came up short, Darley unlucky, Grant wasn't going to take us further.

Harsh calls but this year I don't expect us to play 40 players again. Will is still leading the ruck race for mine until someone properly takes over

Yep. Wil is in our best team and is the best ruck man currently on our list.

Go_Dogs
05-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Presumably they started a bit earlier today because of the expected heat, I got there about 8.45am and there wasn't a lot happening.

From the very little I saw, Hrovat looked in pretty good condition, as did Koby. Suckling has some talent kicking the ball, appears to be fitting in well with the group and in my opinion will be a great addition.

Eastdog
05-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Presumably they started a bit earlier today because of the expected heat, I got there about 8.45am and there wasn't a lot happening.

From the very little I saw, Hrovat looked in pretty good condition, as did Koby. Suckling has some talent kicking the ball, appears to be fitting in well with the group and in my opinion will be a great addition.

Cheers Go_Dogs. Was Tom Boyd out there and any of the new draftees?

lemmon
05-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Apparently the majority of players were off-site doing some bike work and other stuff. There was only really the rehab group at the club

Eastdog
05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Ok. Yes they do that at times during training. Not always out of the ground all the time.

GVGjr
05-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I believe Redpath, Stevens, Adams, Suckling, Hrovat, Prudden and Prismall plus a few others were there. Adams and Redpath did a lot of running together. Very much a light session by most of the guys.

josie
05-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Any woofers attending next sat Xmas session? We should put some Xmas decorations on our caps so we can say hi to fellow woofers. Go dogs!!

Go_Dogs
05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks Lem, GVG, that makes a bit more sense.

You're right there was a lot of running from Redpath and Adams. At the end they did a little kicking drill and Adams was really struggling to kick the ball, presumably because he was out of gas.

GVGjr
05-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks Lem, GVG, that makes a bit more sense.

You're right there was a lot of running from Redpath and Adams. At the end they did a little kicking drill and Adams was really struggling to kick the ball, presumably because he was out of gas.

I noticed that as well. I think Redpath started running with Prismall before Adams joined in.

By the way Adams looked a lot smaller than a trimmed down Redpath. Initially Redpath looked slower in the running but finished a lot stronger. I guess the jump from the state leagues to the AFL club environment can take some adjusting.

They had one drill were Adams was in the middle marking and kicking the ball to players on either side of him. If his kicks were off the mark one of the trainers would call it out.

Dry Rot
05-12-2015, 09:06 PM
They had one drill were Adams was in the middle marking and kicking the ball to players on either side of him. If his kicks were off the mark one of the trainers would call it out.

I read another training report FWIW that Adams can't kick with his right.

Twodogs
05-12-2015, 09:09 PM

He will by the time the season starts.

GVGjr
05-12-2015, 09:25 PM

That's a very interesting report for a couple of reasons and one that I don't agree with. Do you mean his left foot?

There is a couple of kicks here with his right

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/30153135/afl-draft-watch-marcus-adams/#page1

The drills this morning were kicked out to his right and he had to kick with his right running around to the other end repeating the same.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-12-2015, 09:31 PM

This is not uncommon today. There is very few EJ Whitten's Hawkins or Georgie Bisset that were gifted on both sides of the body. Perhaps the most glaring in being unable to kick on their non preferred foot would be JJ and Kobi Stevens on our current list.

comrade
05-12-2015, 09:55 PM

It's his non dominant left that he struggles with. Any one can see his right foot is fine by watching his 3 minute highlight clip.

Twodogs
05-12-2015, 11:09 PM
This is not uncommon today. There is very few EJ Whitten's Hawkins or Georgie Bisset that were gifted on both sides of the body. Perhaps the most glaring in being unable to kick on their non preferred foot would be JJ and Kobi Stevens on our current list.

I understand that it's a non negotiable with Bevo that every player on the list learns to kick with both feet. No exceptions.

Go_Dogs
06-12-2015, 08:48 AM
By the way Adams looked a lot smaller than a trimmed down Redpath. Initially Redpath looked slower in the running but finished a lot stronger.

It was the first time I had seen Adams in the flesh, and it took me a minute to confirm who he was. Redpath certainly looks like he's trimmed down a bit and did seem to be moving well (albeit a few of their smaller team mates seemed to get a bit of amusement out of watching he and Adams complete their runs).

westdog54
06-12-2015, 09:29 AM

Lin Jong heavily favours his good foot as well.

Twodogs
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
It was the first time I had seen Adams in the flesh, and it took me a minute to confirm who he was. Redpath certainly looks like he's trimmed down a bit and did seem to be moving well (albeit a few of their smaller team mates seemed to get a bit of amusement out of watching he and Adams complete their runs).

Lin Jong heavily favours his good foot as well.

Caleb Daniels. He did the most complicated pirouette I've ever seen to get onto his right in order to kick a goal V Collingwood this year.

Dry Rot
06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
That's a very interesting report for a couple of reasons and one that I don't agree with. Do you mean his left foot?

There is a couple of kicks here with his right

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/30153135/afl-draft-watch-marcus-adams/#page1

The drills this morning were kicked out to his right and he had to kick with his right running around to the other end repeating the same.

It's his non dominant left that he struggles with. Any one can see his right foot is fine by watching his 3 minute highlight clip.

I think I got that back to front.

bornadog
07-12-2015, 06:14 PM
The next open training sessions at Victoria University Whitten Oval will be 2:30pm Tuesday 8 December and 8:00am Saturday 12 December.

Eastdog
08-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Any woofers make it down to training this afternoon?

BornInDroopSt'54
08-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Went down to training today. It was hot and windy. Lots of 15m kick to kick using both feet. The five other spectators and I had a group of seven in front of us: Will, Tom Campbell, Goetz, Bailey Dale, Picken, Dickson, and Caleb Daniel. They were put through a couple of drills: they take the ruckman’s tap and throw it on their boot and hit a 15m target. The skills weren’t great in the windy conditions but Dickson, Dale, Daniels and Picken were consistently good. Goetz is an exciting looking type, tall, long legged and a great mover. His kicking was poor though. He drops the ball onto his foot, not really guiding it down with his hand. Consequently he wasn’t spinning the ball properly and he was missing the target consistently. He’s just a kid atm. Another drill involved groups of four, one harassing the ball carrier who handballed to one of the other two.
Marcus Adams has seriously well developed legs, they’re huge, as are Easton Woods’. Brad Lynch kicked well on both sides and looks skilled and naturally well balanced. There were a couple of players out there that I didn’t recognise, a taller left footer that I don’t think was Prudden and a smaller middle eastern looking player that wasn’t JJ. Footscray players?

bornadog
08-12-2015, 11:07 PM
a smaller middle eastern looking player that wasn’t JJ. Footscray players?

Thanks for the update BIDS. Also JJ is from South Africa, he was born in Johannesburg,and moved to Perth when he was 8

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the update BIDS. Also JJ is from South Africa, he was born in Johannesburg,and moved to Perth when he was 8

Thank the heavens he did. I was worried about him when Cameron cleaned him up with that violent hip to the head. He had a great '15, showed he was more than a speedster. He can mark, read the play and kick a goal. He will only get better. Wish we had two of him.

Dry Rot
09-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Thank the heavens he did. I was worried about him when Cameron cleaned him up with that violent hip to the head. He had a great '15, showed he was more than a speedster. He can mark, read the play and kick a goal. He will only get better. Wish we had two of him.

Best position for JJ?

merantau
09-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Best position for JJ?
Breaking the lines off half back.

SlimPickens
09-12-2015, 04:46 PM
There were a couple of players out there that I didn’t recognise, a taller left footer that I don’t think was Prudden and a smaller middle eastern looking player that wasn’t JJ. Footscray players?

That small guy you're talking about is Michael Romero, son of Jose. I'd say the tall lefty was Williams.
Thanks for the report.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2015, 05:05 PM
That small guy you're talking about is Michael Romero, son of Jose. I'd say the tall lefty was Williams.
Thanks for the report.

Jose's son, yes Jose had those handsome dark eyebrows like this kid did. Bailey Williams was out there but he's a right footer.
If you had two JJ's the other one could play outside mid.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2015, 05:11 PM
The leftie could be Crammers disguised by the hat but I saw him closer later on and I thought not. He's at 26 secs here:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-12-08/pressure-session

Twodogs
09-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the report.

I thought so when I read it as well. Sometimes one of the sons will be imbedded into the main group mainly observing and I've seen them train together a couple of times.

Cyberdoggie
09-12-2015, 06:03 PM
The leftie could be Crammers disguised by the hat but I saw him closer later on and I thought not. He's at 26 secs here:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-12-08/pressure-session

That one is McLean I believe.

F'scary
09-12-2015, 08:18 PM

That new rookie, Lynch.

boydogs
09-12-2015, 09:19 PM

Next shot after. I'm thinking Suckling

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2015, 11:11 PM

The guy after McLean.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Next shot after. I'm thinking Suckling

He didn't enter my mind but it's gotta be him, Suckling. Didn't have Crammer's strong legs or statuesque carriage. Looked a bit more ordinary but moved well.

Remi Moses
11-12-2015, 09:50 PM
When is the xmas training session ?
Is it tomorrow ?

Eastdog
11-12-2015, 09:58 PM
When is the xmas training session ?
Is it tomorrow ?

8:00am Saturday 12 December RM but check the Bulldogs website to be sure.

LostDoggy
11-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Keep the training reports coming people, they're especially much appreciated by those of us living in far away places! Who looks the best developed in terms of skills out of the new boys?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Is it too early to use the phrase "training the house down"?

ledge
12-12-2015, 09:42 AM

It is when you have posted it 12 min before they start training.:-)

westdog54
12-12-2015, 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Man, we in here and we talkin' about practice...

Not a game, not a game, we talking about practice.

LostDoggy
12-12-2015, 11:21 AM
That's gold WD54.

If one of the journos had've transcribed that word for word into an article, it'd have worked a treat.

ledge
12-12-2015, 12:45 PM
That is brilliant , very smart player.very smart conversation , had them by the short and curlies.

Twodogs
12-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Early in the preseason or early in the morning? Both probably.

Eastdog
12-12-2015, 03:27 PM
I was sleeping at 8am :) But for those that went along how was it?

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Keep the training reports coming people, they're especially much appreciated by those of us living in far away places! Who looks the best developed in terms of skills out of the new boys?

I didn't have a comprehensive view of them all, I just tuned into the nearest group and talked with the guy next to me but Brad Lynch has the skill and seems a natural footballer. Goetz has a touch of Carl Ditterich with his natural athleticism and height. The only other newies I saw were Bailey Williams, a good cut of a footballer, good build and mover but I didn't see with the ball much and Suckling who was taking marks and banging them into the goals with a crooked left leg in kick to kick practice.

Twodogs
12-12-2015, 11:38 PM
I didn't have a comprehensive view of them all, I just tuned into the nearest group and talked with the guy next to me but Brad Lynch has the skill and seems a natural footballer. Goetz has a touch of Carl Ditterich with his natural athleticism and height. The only other newies I saw were Bailey Williams, a good cut of a footballer, good build and mover but I didn't see with the ball much and Suckling who was taking marks and banging them into the goals with a crooked left leg in kick to kick practice.

Kicking with a crooked leg gives the ball lift over an oncoming opponents and then makes it dip after it goes past them. It's how soccer players get the bend on the ball, they kick it with a crooked leg.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Kicking with a crooked leg gives the ball lift over an oncoming opponents and then makes it dip after it goes past them. It's how soccer players get the bend on the ball, they kick it with a crooked leg.

Lefties tend to do it (there should be a car sticker "Lefties do it with a crooked one"). Loyd did, Crammers does.

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Lefties tend to do it (there should be a car sticker "Lefties do it with a crooked one"). Loyd did, Crammers does.

Yep, that's the vital bit that I left out. It's predominantly lefties who do it. I don't know if right footers can't or the fact that left footers tend to be more balanced when they kick the ball because kicking the ball with a bent leg and keeping it bent is a very delicate manoeuvre.

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 01:33 AM

Yep, that's the vital bit that I left out. It's predominantly lefties who do it. I don't know if right footers can't or the fact that left footers tend to be more balanced when they kick the ball because kicking the ball with a bent leg and keeping it bent is a very delicate manoeuvre.

westdog54
13-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Again?

Go_Dogs
13-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Prior to all of the side getting out on the park yesterday, Redpath was again being put through a gruelling running routine and at the end of each block of running he was hunched over sucking in the big ones. He looks to be moving really well and I think he could be in for a breakout year if his streamlined physique and improved running capability is anything to go by.

He did some set shot kicking afterwards and looked to be kicking the ball well (albeit a few shots missed in what were windy conditions).

Highlight of the day was seeing Liberatore running around, kicking the ball off both feet and being able to gather the ball cleanly with a bit of lateral movement on display as he did so. He looks quite wirey to me and very fit. I hope we continue to take it slow with him but he must be enjoying being out on the field and participating in a few football drills. I'm sure he will join the main group soon enough.

Wallis appears to be very comfortable getting involved with the younger players and helping them push themselves. He looks fit and strong. As some others have noted, Bailey Dale looks like he's grown.

LostDoggy
13-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks GD. I wonder if Redpath really builds the tank, if he could play as a mobile, high impact CHF. A forwardline of:

Crameri/Redpath/Maclean
Stringer/Boyd/Dickson

would really test opposition backlines, especially with the likes of Bont and Wallis also pushing forward as mobile marking options.

There are a few aspects to Jack's game that I reckon make CHF a better option than FF. He is a much better field kick than set shot; he is a good mark running into space, but struggles in congested, contested scenarios; when out of the play for a while, he can panic and try too hard, getting involved in more passages would be a real plus; his presence charging off the line at centre bounces would make our mids walk taller.

Not totally convinced, but reckon he could be worth a shot.

F'scary
13-12-2015, 02:17 PM
From G_D's report, maybe the coach has put it to Big Redders that if he can build the tank, he can own CHF. The position is certainly vacant.

I think it is worth a go too. He's got something to build on, he wasn't bad last season.

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Again?

iPad and impatience I think is the cause

azabob
13-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Interestingly a few posters have noted Redpath doing a lot of running and mobility work. I wonder if Boyd also doing similar work?

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Interestingly a few posters have noted Redpath doing a lot of running and mobility work. I wonder if Boyd also doing similar work?

I thought that was interesting too. I wonder if that means that they have a roaming CHF role in mind for him?

Dry Rot
13-12-2015, 11:59 PM
t

I thought that was interesting too. I wonder if that means that they have a roaming CHF role in mind for him?

A Riewolt with balls?

bornadog
14-12-2015, 12:07 PM
The next open training sessions at Victoria University Whitten Oval will be (approx.) 2:00pm Tuesday 15 December. This will be the final open session of 2015.

Cyberdoggie
14-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Highlight of the day was seeing Liberatore running around, kicking the ball off both feet and being able to gather the ball cleanly with a bit of lateral movement on display as he did so. He looks quite wirey to me and very fit. I hope we continue to take it slow with him but he must be enjoying being out on the field and participating in a few football drills. I'm sure he will join the main group soon enough.

I'm getting the feeling that there has been a bit of change of thought around ACL recoveries in that they are trying to get the player to lose weight and muscle and turn into a more streamlined version of their previous selves to lessen the impact on the new graft.

This can be also true with chronic hamstring and other similar problems. Remember Easton Wood having to lose weight and in particular muscle size around his legs to help with his hamstrings, seems to have worked for him.

It's fact that the bigger you are the longer it takes to recover from an ACL, some smaller players like Libba senior have come back much earlier.

Seeing Tom's very light frame makes me think they are getting him into this shape early and perhaps over time he will put some weight back on when the knee has proven stable, because he's a good 8kg's lighter easily than his previous playing weight.

If we see Clay Smith come back looking thin it wouldn't surprise me.

boydogs
14-12-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm getting the feeling that there has been a bit of change of thought around ACL recoveries in that they are trying to get the player to lose weight and muscle and turn into a more streamlined version of their previous selves to lessen the impact on the new graft

Is that really new though? Tendonitis I know has been treated with weight loss for a while, I remember Adam Cooney having one big leg and one small one

Go_Dogs
14-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Interesting one CD. I had a look at Coay and he looked a lot lighter too.

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Is that really new though? Tendonitis I know has been treated with weight loss for a while, I remember Adam Cooney having one big leg and one small one

That may of been because he was not able to do too much weights and training due to the continued soreness he was getting.

Certainly it was always a focus on ACL's to build up muscle strength on that leg to try and improve stability around the knee. But size and strength can be two very different things.

You could also say that our game has moved from the emphasis on the size of the players to their running ability and versatility.

At the Social club night I was surprised to see how lean and lacking in real size our players are. In particular the big guys, they look more like volleyballers or high jumpers than footballers.
Minson a good example, he's capable of having a very large frame naturally but he looked like he had been on a starvation diet, I haven't seen him that lean since he was drafted.

There is definitely a shift in trends going on, both enforced for recovery and for modern football needs.

jazzadogs
15-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Certainly it was always a focus on ACL's to build up muscle strength on that leg to try and improve stability around the knee. But size and strength can be two very things.

As well as size and strength, the key has historically been developing motor control of the muscles, particularly VMO (vastus medialis oblique, which can be felt just above and inside of the kneecap). It's all well and good to build up massive muscles, but I liken it to having a fast car...there's no point having the car if you can't control the steering.

As with a lot of things related to ACL it is up for debate about whether this is still the best way to go (though I don't work in sports so certainly not an authority on the subject), and I'd be interested to know more about Libba and particularly Clay's rehab programs.

LostDoggy
16-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Apparently Zaine busted a bone in his hand today and will be out for a few weeks. That's all I know, anyone hear anything further?

always right
17-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Just received a reminder email of the East West family day at Wesley College from 8:00am to 12:00pm on Jan 23.

Particularly pleased that it will be a "full training session".

westdog54
17-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Good to see that Normal Service has resumed with the East West day after last year.

Twodogs
17-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Good to see that Normal Service has resumed with the East West day after last year.

Yeah that's a point. is it a full family day with all he bells and whistles?

always right
17-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Yeah that's a point. is it a full family day with all he bells and whistles?

I'm hoping it returns to the old format where the players train for an hour or so, the new players are presented to the crowd by the coach, and the players mill around for photos/autographs.

Bulldog4life
17-12-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm hoping it returns to the old format where the players train for an hour or so, the new players are presented to the crowd by the coach, and the players mill around for photos/autographs.

I like it better than the main Family Day. Far less people and no worries having a chat with the players.

Twodogs
17-12-2015, 05:08 PM

I was going to ask if the players were going to train for the full four hours from 8-12. An hour sounds far better.

bornadog
21-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Some different training. The boys ride bikes along Great Ocean Road with Simon Clarke:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWueOS1UYAAWO2T.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWtrk0eU4AIIdnw.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWtDjZOUkAAPJIR.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWtApJoU4AAU47s.jpg

bornadog
21-12-2015, 05:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWs3p0nUwAADKi4.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWsuZxjUkAASax_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWsvM7qUYAAieQR.jpg

Greystache
21-12-2015, 05:59 PM
That team kit is pretty awesome.

bornadog
21-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Dogs take on the Great Ocean Road (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-21/dogs-take-on-the-great-ocean-road?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

VETERAN Bulldog Matthew Boyd has shown there is still some life in his ageing legs, taking out the club's 9km individual cycling time trial just outside of Lorne on Monday morning.

Boyd, 33, won the event ahead of younger teammates Mitch Wallis, 23, and Koby Stevens, 24, which saw the players cycle up Skenes Creek Road from the Great Ocean Road into the Great Otway National Park on Victoria's surf coast.

The average gradient of the journey was five per cent with a total elevation gain of 489m.

The time trial followed an early morning group ride from Wye River to Skenes Creek, with the players joined by professional cyclist Simon Clarke.

Defender Dale Morris said the ride taught him and his teammates plenty about teamwork – a principle he hopes they can transfer to the AFL arena.

"It was a great thing to do and I was actually surprised how much teamwork we needed in the peloton and how you can really leverage off each other and make the ride easier," Morris said.

"You can't leave it up to one person to drag the whole team through. Everyone had their moments to lead the team and you can definitely take plenty out of that."

Pedal power: Matthew Suckling on the Great Ocean Road. Picture: Michael Willson
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/1_TR211215MW1459.jpg

The Bulldogs on the Great Ocean Road. Pictures: Michael Willson
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/2_TR211215MW0841.jpg

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/3_TR211215MW0958.jpg

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/5_TR211215MW0232.jpg

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/tdogs-tr-oc.jpg

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/6_TR211215MW1232.jpg

Robert Murphy and Marcus Bontempelli get ready for the ride. Picture: Michael Willson
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/10_TR211215MW0738.jpg

Eyes on the road: Shane Biggs having chat during the ride. Picture: Michael Willson
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/8_TR211215MW1402.jpg

LostDoggy
21-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I know they work hard and take on a lot of pressure, but jeez it'd be a great experience to be on an AFL squad.

Who's on the far left in the top photo?

Never realised that Lachie Hunter is a bit of a pinhead. His helmet looks like a mushroom and his head appears to be similar dimensions to The Specimen's biceps.:)

Eastdog
21-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Great stuff here.

LostDoggy
21-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Footage on westernbulldogs.com.au shows participants included Roarke Smith (great to see) and Luke Beveridge (what a champ he is, probably snuck in a quick surf between legs).

BornInDroopSt'54
21-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Great photos. Looking like the peloton in the Tour de France.

Happy Days
21-12-2015, 11:37 PM
That's an outstanding kit. They should just wear that in the season proper.

Rocket Science
22-12-2015, 02:13 AM
That image of Murph and the Bontinator gabbing warms the cockles.

"Reckon you're ready son?"

"Just give me the word"

Jeez we're in good hands.

jeemak
22-12-2015, 02:29 AM
That's an outstanding kit. They should just wear that in the season proper.

As long as they add a cartoon Dog I'll be up for it!

bornadog
22-12-2015, 09:55 AM
As long as they add a cartoon Dog I'll be up for it!

Only for the away kit

jeemak
22-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Only for the away kit

It was a joke mate!