PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs forward Boyd needs to find his athletic side

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 09:50 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-23/bulldogs-forward-boyd-needs-to-find-his-athletic-side-montgomery

This article is a little concerning (just a little). It's the type of thing a club puts out into the media when they feel a player needs a bit of a rev up. Anyone heard anything?

bornadog
24-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I agree the article is a little concerning. I don't like when Montgomery speaks in the media. It better to not say anything like that in public. Who can forget the Lake discussion via the media and that did not end up happy.

jeemak
24-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Monty's comments are fine, and absolutely spot on.

Mofra
24-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Are they?
I know his questioning of Lake's commitment irked more than a few.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Are they?

Like Lake, it's the decision to put it out into the media that is cause for a little concern. Not saying it's the case here, but sometimes these things are said in-house, with the media only used as a last resort if the penny is not dropping.

On the other hand, looks in ripping nick in that photo.

The Pie Man
24-11-2015, 11:26 AM
I share a few of the concerns with this - Brett clearly doesn't mind being 'honest' in the media hey?

Not that I disagree with any of Brett's assertions - I'm hoping Tom wears out 3 to 4 pairs of runners this summer in a bid to become as Josh Kennedy as possible.

always right
24-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Unlike the interview re Lake he hasn't questioned Boyd's commitment....just highlighted the areas he needs to work on.

My biggest concern is whether Boyd is actually capable of this. He's a naturally lumbering type. Interesting how they are treating Boyd....no-one is going to gift him senior games no matter what we are paying him. At some point in time the pressure is going to come on the club if it's established that we are paying $1m to a back up resting ruckman.

From my point of view I think the area needing the most work is his core strength to avoid being outbodied, as well his ability to clunk marks he gets his hands to.

jeemak
24-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Are they?

Forget who actually made the comments for a moment, and point out to me what's wrong with them.

Remi Moses
24-11-2015, 01:41 PM
I think he's spot on to be honest .
Tom has to lose a bit of puppy fat and get athletic .
He's a kid in footy terms, and I'm sure he'll take it as constructive criticism .
Doesn't strike me as a kid who'll
Sook it up

Ghost Dog
24-11-2015, 01:45 PM
No player is perfect. Always something to work on. His price tag will always draw some heat. Love him to become more competitive and aggressive.

bornadog
24-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Forget who actually made the comments for a moment, and point out to me what's wrong with them.
Whilst the comments are probably spot on, some things should not be said via the media . We need positive positive positive so we don't alarm our supporters

Sedat
24-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Yep, they are perfectly reasonable comments and completely on-point with regard to how the game is progressing for KPP's (with the cap rotations). If people are alarmed at such benign comments, that is their problem really.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 03:27 PM
It's all about context though. The AFL website are running the story under the following headline:

"On Draft Eve, A Dogs Coach Gives This Former No.1 A CLIP ON THE EAR." (Their emphasis).

Monty has been around long enough to know how his comments would be reported. Such comments, regarding an individual already under immense pressure as a 20YO getting paid a huge wage, are pointed. However benign the comments on face value, the reasons behind Monty choosing to put more public pressure on Boyd are a little concerning.

bornadog
24-11-2015, 04:38 PM
It's all about context though. The AFL website are running the story under the following headline:

"On Draft Eve, A Dogs Coach Gives This Former No.1 A CLIP ON THE EAR." (Their emphasis).

Monty has been around long enough to know how his comments would be reported. Such comments, regarding an individual already under immense pressure as a 20YO getting paid a huge wage, are pointed. However benign the comments on face value, the reasons behind Monty choosing to put more public pressure on Boyd are a little concerning.

Spot on PP, every article about Boyd by those outside the club keep pressuring him about the big salary. We don't need one of our own to do the same in public. Behind closed doors, fair enough.

Mofra
24-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Lake?
A guy who couldn't even get on the paddock without painkillers - suppositories - having his commitment publically questioned?

Or Boyd - a kid who has been under more scrutiny than any draftee/trade in we've ever had, finally getting out of the media spotlight to have someone from the club bring him up in the media?

I think any concerns poster here have are valid.

jeemak
24-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Mofra, I was referring to the Boyd comments. The Lake comments were clearly misguided.

Just for the sake of it, here's what Monty said:

"He needs to find his athletic side,"

"He came to us as a power forward, as a kid that didn’t move a lot. He was able to dominate one player, who was able to see a good share of entries come his way and not have to move up the ground too far.

"That’s just not how AFL’s played. He’ll need to adapt and he’s well aware of that."

"Tom’s going to have to grow his time in the ruck, which can only assist him getting into the game," Montgomery said.

"The game’s come a long way just in the last 18-24 months and (from) what we really expect out of our key forwards.

"They need to play time in the ruck - there’s only one or two clubs that buck that trend."

This answer could be a perfectly reasonable response to a perfectly reasonable question, such as, how do you think Tom Boyd can improve his game?

What do we want as an alternative? An assistant coach patronising us with clichés?

If it happens to be a small whack directed at the kid, perhaps he's earned it.

Bulldog4life
24-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Monty didn't say anything new that most footy followers didn't know already. No big deal.

KT31
24-11-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm with others, I am not a wrap for when Monty seems to be using the press as a tool to get his message across.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Monty didn't say anything new that most footy followers didn't know already. No big deal.

Exactly B4L
FWIW IMO There's nothing to see here.

1eyedog
25-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Sounds OK to me. Sounds like a coach telling it like it is. That Boyd needs to increase his fitness is no secret. He's dropped kgs and has been earmarked for some ruck duties so obviously we are looking at creating an animal that can cover ground and get to as many contests as possible. Monty said Boyd knows everything that was said about him. He's on a mill a year now and is strong mentally, he can handle this type of commentary.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Last preseason, I stood on the fence at the interchange during the intraclub match. Monty was next to me on the other side of the fence. The players running off had Monty's eyes to meet as they came off. Monty seemed intimidating to me, most players had their eyes down as they came off. Monty no doubt has a hardness about him.

jeemak
25-11-2015, 02:32 PM
It might be why makes a great assistant but struggles to land the senior role.

Maddog37
25-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Month seems like a blunt instrument.

1eyedog
25-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Last preseason, I stood on the fence at the interchange during the intraclub match. Monty was next to me on the other side of the fence. The players running off had Monty's eyes to meet as they came off. Monty seemed intimidating to me, most players had their eyes down as they came off. Monty no doubt has a hardness about him.

Perfect. You need a hard bastard at the club, it works for some players but not all and that's why I think Bevo and Monty will make a great team and possibly why Bevo chase him down to try and convince him to stay at the club. Bevo has the wise cracks and seems like a mate, a general that most can relate to and Monty seems like the hardened drill sargeant who ensures the mess hall is neat and tidy.

Bearing in mind I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Bevo that's for sure.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Bearing in mind I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Bevo that's for sure.

Bevo looks like a scary bastard to me.

1eyedog
25-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Bevo looks like a scary bastard to me.

Yeah he has that wild I'll do anything look.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Yeah he has that wild I'll do anything look.

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/images/thumbs/450/2015/11/24/411611.jpg

comrade
25-11-2015, 05:52 PM

"Is this ****ing microphone on?"

azabob
25-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Did he say that when trying to read out our draft picks?

comrade
25-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Did he say that when trying to read out our draft picks?

Haha, no.

But I'm sure his moustache wanted to.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 12:07 AM
That mo has got to stay.

Topdog
26-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Probably just needs media coaching. Could have been said in a much softer way and as a positive for Tom.

Has come across as a shot at him.

Not a big deal in November though.

Remi Moses
26-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Neville f****** Bartos

merantau
26-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Tom Boyd is slow but that doesn't mean he can't get quicker and ... fitter. I believe he's yet to complete a full pre-season. Let's hope that he completes this one and comes out of it fitter and faster.

jeemak
26-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Probably just needs media coaching. Could have been said in a much softer way and as a positive for Tom.

Has come across as a shot at him.

Not a big deal in November though.

Why would we assume this wasn't precisely how it was meant to be said because of his media coaching?

F'scary
27-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Firstly, thanks for posting this PP, I missed it otherwise.

I reckon the article is a carefully constructed piece of propaganda, composed with Boyd's full co-operation.

What the article is doing is establishing realistic benchmarks that he can achieve. He has to move around more, he has to be the 2nd ruck. The article is not saying that he must kick X number of goals. It is cunningly aimed at hosing down the unrealistic media hype.

LostDoggy
03-12-2015, 02:12 PM

Wolf Creek.

Nice ta meetcha!

w3design
12-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Lake?
A guy who couldn't even get on the paddock without painkillers - suppositories - having his commitment publically questioned?

Or Boyd - a kid who has been under more scrutiny than any draftee/trade in we've ever had, finally getting out of the media spotlight to have someone from the club bring him up in the media?

I think any concerns poster here have are valid.

It's constructive criticism.. It tells the player what is required of him and it reassures the supporters that the club will shape and prepare each individual player for next season..
This isn't the first time a player has been addressed in the media...
When you pay huge dollars you expect the goods.. If the goods aren't being delivered.. You will hear about it.. hearing the truth from a club stops speculation... Some say it's unprofessional to air dirty laundry... Others believe the truth is key even if it hurts