PDA

View Full Version : Wayde Skipper

BulldogBelle
30-11-2007, 11:42 PM
How do you think Skipper will go in season 2008?

I know that he has had quite a few confidence issues and at times he feels he is letting the team down.

He has copped quite a few injuries and a few times prior to being injured he showed some good form and then fell away after returning from injury.

I like Skipper and hope he can succeed and has a successful 2008, otherwise I feel the axe will be heading his way.

hujsh
01-12-2007, 12:03 AM
If he wants to play for us he needs to grab that FF or preferably CHF role by the scruff of the neck and be the one to stand up and say "I'm that tall foward you were looking for and i was hiding in the ruck" I will always remember his 5 goals against Geelong as i was there

Dogs 24/7
01-12-2007, 08:25 AM
What works for him is he was a productive player all things considered towards the end of the season. He also has the ability to play as a forward and in the ruck. He also kicks the ball well.
What works against him is his injury interrupted pre season, he isn't a strong mark, he is undersized as a ruckman and he is a bit slow when played as a forward.

It might come down to what they plan to do with the ruckman. If it's just Hudson and someone to support him then he is in the mix. If we want to play two genuine rucks then he is behind Street and Minson.

If he could just hold some more marks then he would be considered for a key forward spot.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I dont hold much hope for him this year and I was somewhat surprised he wasn't more in the gun for delisting this year.

He just seems in the zone where he is not a ruckman and doesn't offer that much forward.

I sincerely hope he makes me eat my words though.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
The broken foot's going to set him back a fair bit. He'll really need to get back into the swing of things quickly and not lope around. The positive signs at the end of this season were that he took some strong contested marks and lifted his intensity levels up. It was evident Skip lacked the fitness to be a player of more then one quarter/one half, but I still think he showed some good signs. He found space, worked hard, took marks and is a nice kick of the football. He really has to build on this though if he's going to make it. He's a little slow for the forward line which could work against him, but a little undersized for a ruckmen. His best position - if he's going to make it - will be as a FF or CHF I feel. If he's unable to grab ahold of this opportunity, then he'll find himself delisted.

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately I don't see much hope for Wade. Any TALL player that can't get a game for the dogs and is fit, healthy and experienced?..................
Not tall enough to ruck. No agression, no pace and not a particularly good mark.
Doesn't really stand out at VFL level either.

GVGjr
02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately I don't see much hope for Wade. Any TALL player that can't get a game for the dogs and is fit, healthy and experienced?..................
Not tall enough to ruck. No agression, no pace and not a particularly good mark.
Doesn't really stand out at VFL level either.

Some nearly use that same argument for Will Minson (except for the aggression) and yet still think he is a solid long term prospect.

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Some nearly use that same argument for Will Minson (except for the aggression) and yet still think he is a solid long term prospect.

Minson is tall enough and strong enough to play in the ruck. (Minson 199cm Skipper 193cm,) He's been in the system 2 years less than Skipper. He was injured most of last season and broke his leg the season before. As you say he does have aggression, and he really acts like wants to be out there tearing it up. Skipper to me looks like he's just going through the motions.
The two don't compare at all. I would love to be proven wrong and Skipper fires for us next year but I'm not holding my breath:

wb_age
03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
This is just my opinion, but i think Skipper's gone. Yes it's a bit early to write him off, the season hasn't even started but yet again injury has him on a modified preseason.

He also says that this injury is similar to Hird's injury, so it'll be tough for him to come back from that quickly and will be a fair way behind the 8 ball.
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsId=52968

A solid couple of preseasons is what he needed but injuries seem to get the better of him, can't question his endeavor though.
Good luck to him.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
What works for him is he was a productive player all things considered towards the end of the season. He also has the ability to play as a forward and in the ruck. He also kicks the ball well.
What works against him is his injury interrupted pre season, he isn't a strong mark, he is undersized as a ruckman and he is a bit slow when played as a forward.

It might come down to what they plan to do with the ruckman. If it's just Hudson and someone to support him then he is in the mix. If we want to play two genuine rucks then he is behind Street and Minson.

If he could just hold some more marks then he would be considered for a key forward spot.

exactly, a small ruckman that is slow and isn't a strong mark and isn't terribly physical type of player.

His only real strength is usually his kicking, especially that left foot shot at goal from outside 50, but i wouldn't put my money on him on a set shot though.

For me his weaknesses are significant and not ones you can really improve on.

The Underdog
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
From my perspective, Skipper is at the moment, the 2nd most natural ruckman on our list.
Unfortunately he is nowhere near tall enough to play the position in AFL football. His leap almost gets him there, but he's no chance of competing against a Cox or Sandilands. I think he's shown he has the nous to play the position, just not the size. Unfortunately he isn't quite quick enough across the ground either.
I don't think he's a key forward. I've not really seen him show that side of his game at all. Some will bring up the famous 5 goal outing against Geelong or the hanger at the end of the St.Kilda game, but he doesn't appear to be able to play this position as naturally as he does the ruck. I think that despite these isolated incidents he's never consistently showed the ability to be a KPP.
To be honest, I think he's going to struggle for the fact that he's just not big enough to play what I see as his natural position. The foot injury will put him further behind the 8 ball.
I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see him make it, but at the end of 08, I think he'll be under the gun.

LostDoggy
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
This is just my opinion, but i think Skipper's gone. Yes it's a bit early to write him off, the season hasn't even started but yet again injury has him on a modified preseason.

He also says that this injury is similar to Hird's injury, so it'll be tough for him to come back from that quickly and will be a fair way behind the 8 ball.
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsId=52968

A solid couple of preseasons is what he needed but injuries seem to get the better of him, can't question his endeavor though.
Good luck to him.

I don't think he is gone because he is so determined. Whilst he has copped more than his share of injuries he normally bounces back well. He is behind in the pecking order but he has a knack of getting back in favour.

FrediKanoute
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I think he was well and truly in the gun last year until the last few games where he appeared and had an impact. he's no jonathan Brown and he's not a Dean Cox, but he is a pretty good competitive tall player. I think he can go forward and be the type of guy who contests the ball in the forward line and slips in to kick 2 or 3 a week. as other have said though, his injury is going to be a problem. I have hopes, bit thnk that his time may be running out.

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I think he was well and truly in the gun last year until the last few games where he appeared and had an impact. he's no jonathan Brown and he's not a Dean Cox, but he is a pretty good competitive tall player. I think he can go forward and be the type of guy who contests the ball in the forward line and slips in to kick 2 or 3 a week. as other have said though, his injury is going to be a problem. I have hopes, bit thnk that his time may be running out.

If Skipper kicks 2 or 3 a week thats around 50 goals for the year...........mmm I don't think so.:rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
05-12-2007, 08:30 PM
One thing about Skip is that his attitude is terrific. I don't know why, but I'm one of those who reckons Skip has something to offer. He has a great leap, can take a mark & knows how to kick a goal. Why can't he go forward & kick 30 goals for the season, but also provide that long option, create a contest, bring the ball to ground & take the ruck up there. If he rucks there & Hudson stays back, then Hudson's man has to decide whether to leave him to go & contest the ruck with Wayde. If he stays back, then Skip could really be damaging against a defender in that situation. I reckon Skip has more upside as a forward than Minson.

LostDoggy
05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Whilst I agree TCD, I can't see him playing CHF as the backs would run off him and I don't know that he could cover the ground required. As for FF, aren't we aiming to get Welsh?

I'd like him to be given a position (such as FF) and allowed to develop. But we seem to be after a lead up forward, so I'm not sure where we can fit him in.

LostDoggy
05-12-2007, 09:30 PM
For the Doggies to have a good year and make the finals in 08, players like Skipper, McDougall and Street cant be in the team. They have to be 'back up' players at best

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2007, 09:52 PM
One thing about Skip is that his attitude is terrific. I don't know why, but I'm one of those who reckons Skip has something to offer. He has a great leap, can take a mark & knows how to kick a goal. Why can't he go forward & kick 30 goals for the season, but also provide that long option, create a contest, bring the ball to ground & take the ruck up there. If he rucks there & Hudson stays back, then Hudson's man has to decide whether to leave him to go & contest the ruck with Wayde. If he stays back, then Skip could really be damaging against a defender in that situation. I reckon Skip has more upside as a forward than Minson.
I think one long standing problem we've had as a club is keeping fringe players on the list without really finding out what they're capable of. I would be happy for the club to tell Wade he's got 6 weeks at CHF guaranteed. Like they did with Eagleton several years ago, the decision transformed Nathan's career.
Wade can psych himself up for it, and we'll find out if he can do it or not. If he performs..... great. If not there's a spot on the list for someone else. To come in and out of the 2s and on and off the bench for SEVEN LONG YEARS is pointless and useless for everyone involved. Wade, the club and the supporters. I'm not a big fan of Wade's but at least let's find out what he's got to offer.

FrediKanoute
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
If Skipper kicks 2 or 3 a week thats around 50 goals for the year...........mmm I don't think so.:rolleyes:

I think he is capable of doing that. Skipper's problem last year was that when he finally made it into the team he was played as a mobile ruck option as opposed to a permanent forward. One thing I saw and like about Skipper's game last year was his attack on the footy, willingness to tackle, run to position and put his body on the line. he is a different player to what he was 2 or 3 years ago and I think will be a late bloomer.

You can quote me when he fails and gets delisted, but I think that he is one of those guys that could really step up this season :)

FrediKanoute
05-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I think one long standing problem we've had as a club is keeping fringe players on the list without really finding out what they're capable of. I would be happy for the club to tell Wade he's got 6 weeks at CHF guaranteed. Like they did with Eagleton several years ago, the decision transformed Nathan's career.
Wade can psych himself up for it, and we'll find out if he can do it or not. If he performs..... great. If not there's a spot on the list for someone else. To come in and out of the 2s and on and off the bench for SEVEN LONG YEARS is pointless and useless for everyone involved. Wade, the club and the supporters. I'm not a big fan of Wade's but at least let's find out what he's got to offer.

Agree. Though I think Wayde's problem for the last couple of seasons has been that he has gotten injured at the wrong time. This has slowed his development considerably. The tail end of last season for me gave me confidence that he was and is capable of playing good footy at a high level.

FrediKanoute
05-12-2007, 10:11 PM
For the Doggies to have a good year and make the finals in 08, players like Skipper, McDougall and Street cant be in the team. They have to be 'back up' players at best

I disagree with that. I think McDougall and Skipper both have plenty to offer the team and their form will be a good indicator of how successful we are in 2008. We can't pin ou hopes on young talls like Williams, Everitt and grant to carry the day. Not even the great man in his first season (yes he kicked 51 goals) was the dominant forward winning games off his own boot consistently. McDougall and Skipper are guys who have been in the system a while and if they can both lift their game it will go a long way to ensuring that we play finals footy. You need depth in your squad and we need to be able to play down to 28 or 30. we just didn't have that in 2007.

bornadog
14-01-2009, 09:46 PM
How do you think Skipper will go in season 2008?

I know that he has had quite a few confidence issues and at times he feels he is letting the team down.

He has copped quite a few injuries and a few times prior to being injured he showed some good form and then fell away after returning from injury.

I like Skipper and hope he can succeed and has a successful 2008, otherwise I feel the axe will be heading his way.

Well he coped more injuries in 2008, so how will he go in 2009? Is he just going to be a backup ruckman and thats all?

Lets hope he has an injury free run and finds some form.

BulldogBelle
14-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Well he coped more injuries in 2008, so how will he go in 2009? Is he just going to be a backup ruckman and thats all?

Lets hope he has an injury free run and finds some form.

2008 was a dissapointing year for him, it would be good to see him in the side as a regular. He has the talent but the injuries have stalled his career big time.

Like you BAD, I hope he can get through the season without any major injuries.

Bulldog Revolution
15-01-2009, 11:37 AM
2008 was a dissapointing year for him, it would be good to see him in the side as a regular. He has the talent but the injuries have stalled his career big time.

Like you BAD, I hope he can get through the season without any major injuries.

Agreeed BB

He has had a dreadful run the past two years

Could be a valuable depth player. Hopefully he can get his aerobic fitness up whilst still carrying the bulk he's put on over the past two years

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2009, 12:32 PM
You probably all know my views on Skip.

In summary i don't think he's good enough in the right areas to succeed.
Not tall enough, not a particularly big leap (possibly due to foot injuries), too slow, can't mark overhead, and has no size about him to be a presence up forward.

I think that he was mentally scared after that game early in his career at the scg when he went up for a high mark and got shirt fronted by Andrew Dunkley?. He received a punctured lung and ever since has been less than confident about putting his arms up in a pack.

I saw Skip the other day at highpoint shopping center and to me he looked even thinner than last year.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Given the recent aquisitions of tall ruckman/forwards, I think both Skipper and Minson are on borrowed time unless they improve drastically.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Draught Horse!

hujsh
15-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Given the recent aquisitions of tall ruckman/forwards, I think both Skipper and Minson are on borrowed time unless they improve drastically.

How quicky do you see Cordy or Shaw coming along for Minson to be on borrowed time?

Surely by the time we have a new ruckman pushing for a game Hudson will be ready to retire.

Also Minson was a better ruckman than Hudson during stages this year