PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hopes, Dreams etc

Bulldog Joe
06-12-2015, 11:45 AM
We have now completed the the draft and have our list finalised.

Where do we see the team for 2016.

Not looking to pick a best side, just across the list, can we see enough improvement to give us a real crack at the big prize.

Through the off season we have added Suckling and Adcock as mature players and brought in the new draftees. I am prepared to overlook injured players coming back (Libba) as we know there will be players missing through injury throughout 2016.

Not wishing to be stats centric, but from the AFL player ratings http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T140

We have lost

Jarrad Grant 165.5 pts
Michael Talia 132.4
Brett Goodes 58
Ayce Cordy 48
Sam Darley 43.2

Total Points out =407.1

We have added
Matt Suckling 305.3
Jed Adcock 311.8

Total Points in =617.1

This certainly improves the list on Champion Data rating.

We should also see improvement in some of our 2nd and 3rd year players without any contribution from the new draftees.

We also have improved the experience when compared to the start of 2015 with the experience added to the list throughout the 23 games of 2015.

I know we still have some areas of concern, but I can see plenty of opportunity for the team to be better in 2016. My biggest concern would be a drop off from the old heads Murphy, M Boyd and Morris.

merantau
06-12-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm not concerned about any drop off from the three you mention in 2016. I was at the club last week having lunch. Matty Boyd and Dale Morris looked to be in superb physical shape and Bob Murphy has never been out of shape.
I also think we are better placed to cover injuries to key players. So, I am feeling upbeat about 2016.

Twodogs
06-12-2015, 02:24 PM
I said at the start of last year that I wasn't going to make any predictions because I wouldn't be surprised where we finish. I think I'll stick to that.

Eastdog
06-12-2015, 04:04 PM
I said at the start of last year that I wasn't going to make any predictions because I wouldn't be surprised where we finish. I think I'll stick to that.

I'm hoping for more improvement again 2016 but right now it's still far too early to make any predictions for next year.

Eastdog
06-12-2015, 04:05 PM

We just need to keep the expectations for next year in house. Let's not listen to what those media people have to say.

westdog54
06-12-2015, 04:14 PM
The club should not accept anything less than improvement on last season.

We have improved the quality of list with our recruiting and list management.

We can expect, nay, demand, further improvement of most of the players that played the majority of last year.

We have some quality players returning from injury.

Plus we (at least ought to) have momentum from what we achieved last season.

Whilst I can understand the hesitation to set expectations, as a club we need to dare to dream.

Eastdog
06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Does less expectation though correlate to less disappointment amongst the playing group and supporters as for 2015 we had hardly any expectations and had a stellar year with the list we had.

2011 is an example where we had big expectations but it did not come off.

F'scary
06-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Big Boyd. Really looking forward to more Big Boyd. Loved what he did in 2015, those big marks deep near the goals. More please.

westdog54
06-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Does less expectation though correlate to less disappointment amongst the playing group and supporters as for 2015 we had hardly any expectations and had a stellar year with the list we had.

Expectation is fine when it is realistic.

The 'expectation' we had in 2011 was when the Club President declared a benchmark that wasn't realistic.

Its not unrealistic to think that with our list profile, we would see further improvement in 2016.

Eastdog
06-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Expectation is fine when it is realistic.

The 'expectation' we had in 2011 was when the Club President declared a benchmark that wasn't realistic.

Its not unrealistic to think that with our list profile, we would see further improvement in 2016.

Yes agree. Expectation must be realistic and if we don't meet those realistic expectations we would naturally be disappointed.

Remi Moses
06-12-2015, 07:38 PM

I think easty the age demographic and the expectation that we'd had our time in the sun.

Flamethrower
06-12-2015, 07:50 PM
On field just like 2015, expect the unexpected.

Off field I expect a tougher time finding a decent seat at Etihad and a longer wait at the concession stands. In other words, a big jump in crowd numbers in 2016!!!

Maddog37
06-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I want to beat the Hawks and the Cats.

bulldogtragic
06-12-2015, 09:40 PM
20 years on and I still can't hear the phrase 'hopes and dreams' without hearing in my head this interview by Tommy G with 'FW De Clerk'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhKErCF2mJE

Go_Dogs
07-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Expectations? Another finals appearance and to go one better, win a final.

That being said I'm loathe to put any expectation on what we can accomplish this coming season. Young groups can improve or stagnate swiftly and we don't know how our guys will go this year, where the improvement will come from and whether some of our positional weaknesses (ruck, key defenders, key forwards) will be addressed by developing players and off season acquisitions.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Looking forward to beating Hawthorn and winning a final or two and seeing the team develop. A regular avenue to Tom Boyd, enter Jake Stringer stage left, Luke Dahlhaus stage right and tory Dickson centre stage at the fall of the ball, zoning of Bont, Hunter, Libba, McClean etc etc to rebound if the ball does come back = Bulldogs avalanche and Bulldogs bite and Bulldogs roar and Bulldogs win.

LostDoggy
07-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Round 1 is huge... If we can come out and roll Freo that could really set us up.

Mantis
07-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Round 1 is huge... If we can come out and roll Freo that could really set us up.

Just taking it one week at a time. ;)

ReLoad
07-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Winning a final which therefore means getting to a prelim.

Our kids need to taste more big dance occasions.

craigsahibee
07-12-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm not concerned about any drop off from the three you mention in 2016. I was at the club last week having lunch. Matty Boyd and Dale Morris looked to be in superb physical shape and Bob Murphy has never been out of shape.
I also think we are better placed to cover injuries to key players. So, I am feeling upbeat about 2016.

I am a bit concerned about Bob. I saw him at "A Day on The Green" in the Yarra Valley yesterday, drinking what looked like a Somersby Apple Cider. C'mon Bob. HTFU. That's not very Rock n Roll.

Aside from Bob's questionable choice of refreshments, I only hope that this year we consolidate on the rapid improvement of 2015. In my 46 years on this earth, I can't recall a better time to be a Bulldogs Member. To win a final would be fantastic and there's no reason why this group can't improve a few places on the AFL Ladder to be in contention during late September - early October.
We do have depth.
Our game does not rely on the individual brilliance of one or two players, but is complemented by it.
We have role players across the ground that sacrifice their game for the benefit of the team.
We are building towards something pretty bloody special, and I hope that all Bulldogs Supporters get on board and experience it.

SonofScray
12-12-2015, 10:56 PM
The flag will wag, finally.
Boyd will kick 40 goals.

Torpedo
13-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Hoping for no season ending injuries, Bevo to retain the Chopper look, a sea of red,white and blue at docklands games and Big Tom Boyd to take a huge contested mark and kick the winning goal after the siren to really mark his arrival as a FF.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Hoping for no season ending injuries, Bevo to retain the Chopper look, a sea of red,white and blue at docklands games and Big Tom Boyd to take a huge contested mark and kick the winning goal after the siren to really mark his arrival as a FF.

With a torpedo.

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 06:23 PM
He has a habit of kicking the match winner does big Tom. He did it twice in three weeks for Footscray last season. One snap from just outside the goal square against Essendon(?) and one from an outrageous free against Port both deep in the last quarter.

Ghost Dog
13-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Libba and Clay Smith to come back and be rewarded for their efforts to be right again. Love Caleb Daniel to reward our faith in him and become our greatest moneyball selection of all time.

kruder
14-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I think it will be the most competitive season ever. You can name 5 sides outside the eight that expect to play finals so there will be some disappointed clubs at the end of next year.

I seriosuly believe we can make top 4 though with even luck. The club has the best depth it has ever have, depth with serious talent which should ensure improvement across the board.

On a side note Mclean was a favourite of mine in the 2014 draft and was rapt that Dally pulled the trigger on him. I think he can be in the top handful of players at our club going forward, he will be great to watch.

I really hope Libba can have an injury free year, when his is on the park he emphasises all things Bulldogs in the way he plays the game.

Oh yeah and then there is the Bont and Stringer! Are we in a dream already? Those two put a smile on my face more than any other Bulldogs before them.

LostDoggy
14-12-2015, 05:57 PM
I think it will be the most competitive season ever. You can name 5 sides outside the eight that expect to play finals so there will be some disappointed clubs at the end of next year.

I seriosuly believe we can make top 4 though with even luck. The club has the best depth it has ever have, depth with serious talent which should ensure improvement across the board.

On a side note Mclean was a favourite of mine in the 2014 draft and was rapt that Dally pulled the trigger on him. I think he can be in the top handful of players at our club going forward, he will be great to watch.

I really hope Libba can have an injury free year, when his is on the park he emphasises all things Bulldogs in the way he plays the game.

Oh yeah and then there is the Bont and Stringer! Are we in a dream already? Those two put a smile on my face more than any other Bulldogs before them.

I agree re: the competitiveness this year. Of the teams out of the 8, Port, GWS and Geelong look particularly competitive and could easily be top 4 challengers. On the other hand, I reckon a few of the top 4 teams could be vulnerable, all having aging lists and Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo have been up for a long time.

Feels like one of those years where dramatic change is quite possible and we are well placed to be right in the thick of it.

Jeez this is going to be a long, long preseason.

bornadog
14-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Bevo was asked at the Social Club event, how will we go next year. He said there is no reason why we can't improve on this year.

That is my expectation as well.

Mantis
15-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Bevo was asked at the Social Club event, how will we go next year. He said there is no reason why we can't improve on this year.

But, could improvement mean that we actually go backwards on the ladder?

bornadog
15-12-2015, 10:57 AM

I guess we could win more games, but drop a spot.

Dancin' Douggy
15-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Our depth at the moment is really quite staggering.
Trying to name a best 22 is pretty hard.
And I keep forgetting about Suckling as well. Then there's players who have really shown quite a bit in the past like Jong and Dale and Daniels and Mclean and Webb and Hrovat and the new blood as well. Guys like Hunter who suddenly emerged as a potential A grader.

It's gonna be a real fight for those 4 interchange spots.

I'm SO stoked we bagged K. Collins in this draft, just a perfect perfect choice for us.

Can't believe he was there at that pick. What a win.

GVGjr
15-12-2015, 07:18 PM

Yep, that is a real chance. Teams will certainly scout us better than last year.

GVGjr
15-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Our depth at the moment is really quite staggering.
Trying to name a best 22 is pretty hard.
And I keep forgetting about Suckling as well. Then there's players who have really shown quite a bit in the past like Jong and Dale and Daniels and Mclean and Webb and Hrovat and the new blood as well. Guys like Hunter who suddenly emerged as a potential A grader.

It's gonna be a real fight for those 4 interchange spots.

I'm SO stoked we bagged K. Collins in this draft, just a perfect perfect choice for us.

Can't believe he was there at that pick. What a win.

Great depth but still short on A grade players and experience across the list. We might need to trade a couple of decent players to move up the draft order next year.

LostDoggy
15-12-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't think Hawthorn fans are sitting around fretting about "expectations". We need to stop being afraid of expectations. We need to embrace them and just get to work on winning. That's what "winning culture" is all about. An associate of mine is very much inner sanctum at Hawthorn and we were talking last year about that very thing, expectations. She says at the Hawks the young guys are immediately confronted with a very strong recent history of success that if they are uncomfortable with, they're quickly moved on. We need to stop being little old ladies about it (sorry to any little old ladies on the board!) and start beating our chests.

Does it mean the unwashed will turn on the club when it all goes south? Absolutely. But it's worth the risk.

comrade
15-12-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't think Hawthorn fans are sitting around fretting about "expectations". We need to stop being afraid of expectations. We need to embrace them and just get to work on winning. That's what "winning culture" is all about. An associate of mine is very much inner sanctum at Hawthorn and we were talking last year about that very thing, expectations. She says at the Hawks the young guys are immediately confronted with a very strong recent history of success that if they are uncomfortable with, they're quickly moved on. We need to stop being little old ladies about it (sorry to any little old ladies on the board!) and start beating our chests.

Does it mean the unwashed will turn on the club when it all goes south? Absolutely. But it's worth the risk.

It's easy to confront young players with a strong recent history of success when your club has one.

I think Hawks fans like to re-write history a little. Was this culture so strong in 2003/2004 when they were absolute bottom scrapers? Was it strong in the mid 90s when a large chunk of their supporters wanted to merge?

Yes, culture is important but it's a chicken and egg thing. To have a winning culture, you need to win. And to win you need star players and a great coach, which the Hawks have with Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Rough, Buddy when he was there, etc plus Clarko.

I think we're on the way to having a similar group, so fingers cross we can experience the same sort of success.

w3design
15-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Great depth but still short on A grade players and experience across the list. We might need to trade a couple of decent players to move up the draft order next year.
Can I ask a silly question please?? If a player wants to play out his whole footy career at one club, who decides who is permitted to do that.. I was absolutely disgusted when Crossy was no longer required at our club.. One of the best handballers in the competition.. He should have retired a bulldog.. Players need to be protected species from stupid dumb arse decisions

GVGjr
15-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Can I ask a silly question please?? If a player wants to play out his whole footy career at one club, who decides who is permitted to do that.. I was absolutely disgusted when Crossy was no longer required at our club.. One of the best handballers in the competition.. He should have retired a bulldog.. Players need to be protected species from stupid dumb arse decisions

Contracts don't mean as much now as they used to but essentially if the club and player are agreeable they can have a long career together. In the case of Daniel Cross, he was coming out out of contract and the club informed him that they were going to develop the younger players as a priority and they couldn't really guarantee him regular senior games.
Crossy was keen to play elsewhere and Melbourne came calling. I don't think it was a bad decision for either Cross or the club.

These decisions would be made by a variety of people including the coach, the GM of the footy department, the list manager and maybe the President.

Sometimes you get a Doug Hawkins type example where he didn't agree with the decision to retire and off he goes to another club. There was also the Scott West example where he initially insisted he wanted to play on so the club had to effectively sack him.

It's a tough old business and hard decisions do need to be made from time to time.

w3design
15-12-2015, 11:40 PM
I have to disagree regarding Crossy.. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen from the club.. He only lasted one more year at Melbourne.. If correct communication took place.. We could have negotiated his final 12 months at the kennel..I am a true believer that personality clashes between coach and players shouldn't be a part of football.. Like a normal workplace.. It is discrimination.. Funnily enough Crossy retired as soon as Bmac joined forces with Melbourne.. We had a similar issue with Gia, he wasn't ready to retire and we subbed him.. Crossy was mistreated by our club.. And the day we lost to Melbourne at the Mcg.. I stayed back to congratulate Crossy and sung the Melbourne footy song..
Seeing players get mistreated by our club is the biggest issue I have as a supporter..
Minson copped it too during season 2015..then people questioned his bad attitude.. That was a result of his treatment I believe..

GVGjr
15-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Cross was at Melbourne for 2 season and played 39 games and that could have easily been 20 more than he might have played with us.
For a player that wanted to play senior footy I can see why he wanted to go. We can blame a variety of reasons but I think it's as simple as him wanting to play senior football while we were wanting to provide younger players more opportunities.

He was offered a spot at Footscray and a coaching position but he really wanted to play senior football. Melbourne's offer was a good one, a two year deal with the option of moving into a coaching job with them after that.
I'd argue that we did the right thing by him and as far as I'm aware he has no ill feeling towards the club.

Players are pushed out all the time due to list management and development reasons. As a contrast, players walk out of clubs when they can secure better deals elsewhere. I'd probably prefer the old fashioned arrangements clubs and players had but those days are long gone.

w3design
15-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Cross was at Melbourne for 2 season and played 39 games and that could have easily been 20 more than he might have played with us.
For a player that wanted to play senior footy I can see why he wanted to go.
He was offered a spot at Footscray and a coaching position but he really wanted to play senior football. Melbourne's offer was a good one a two year deal with the option of moving into a coaching job with them after that.
I'd argue that we did the right thing by him and as far as I'm aware he has no ill feeling towards the club.

Players are pushed out all the time due to list management and development reasons. As a contrast, players walk out of clubs when they can secure better deals elsewhere. I'd probably prefer the old fashioned arrangements clubs and players had but those days are long gone

I don't want to speak for him, but Crossy was told that his style of football was no longer a part of our developing game (under Bmac) but funnily enough.. Afl football is about handballing and we had the best of the best..
If he was happy to leave, it had alot to do with Bmac at the time.. Crossy did express much sadness leaving us, but he was welcomed with open arms at Melbourne and I was very happy for him.. First time I ever wore a different jumper and went to Melbourne afl games because of him.. I have faith in Luke Beveridge, so I will respect most decisions he makes because I believe that they are for the growth of our club..

jazzadogs
16-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Backline:
- I hope that Easton, Bob and Boyd can continue their good form from this year.
- I'd like to see continued improvement from JJ with him potentially moving more permanently up to a wing, and Webb/Biggs taking his spot on half back
- ideally we have a clear first choice key defender out of Roberts, Collins, Hamling, Cordy, Adams by the halfway point of the year. How many seasons in was Daniel Talia when he really announced himself? Debut season wasn't it? Hopefully Collins can replicate that.
- Dale Morris to play as many games as possible

Mids:
- Wallis, Dahlhaus, Picken, Bont to improve on career best seasons
- Jack Macrae to get the hook kick out of his game. Run straight and kick it straight.
- Libba and Koby to return from injury. We all know Libbas quality, but Koby's first half of the season was exceptional. I'm not sure where he was placed in our best and fairest at the time of his injury, but I think he is an extremely important part of our midfield unit.
- in order of preference, more midfield time for: Stringer, JJ, Caleb, Hrovat, Dickson. Keep Crameri out of there, I can't handle his blind bombs forward ala Matty Boyd at his peak.

Forwards:
- it's been a bit concerning how little mention there has been of Toyd from the training reports. I really hope he has a big season, and see him in a partnership with Redpath (Toyd, Red, Stringer, Dickson, 2x rotating midfielders) as our best setup. I would expect at least 18 matches and 25 goals.
- Stringer.

Rucks:
- personally I see Campbell as our best bet, and think that he can have a huge impact with a full preseason. There was a VFL match against Geelong about halfway through the year where he was fantastic, including one play in the middle where he collected the ball off the ground, spun around one player, palmed off another then fired out a handball. It's stuck in my mind, and I hope he cements his spot.
- I'm really not sure where this leaves Roughy and Minson, but my hope is that we have answers in both of them by the end of the year

Team:
- we must make finals, and we must win at least one. Anything less is unacceptable
- no dropping games to the crap teams that we should be beating. That St Kilda loss was one of the worst I've seen, and it was sadly a bit of a trend...compete extremely well in the tough games, hopeless in the easy games.

GVGjr
16-12-2015, 03:02 AM
I don't want to speak for him, but Crossy was told that his style of football was no longer a part of our developing game (under Bmac) but funnily enough.. Afl football is about handballing and we had the best of the best..
If he was happy to leave, it had alot to do with Bmac at the time.. Crossy did express much sadness leaving us, but he was welcomed with open arms at Melbourne and I was very happy for him.. First time I ever wore a different jumper and went to Melbourne afl games because of him.. I have faith in Luke Beveridge, so I will respect most decisions he makes because I believe that they are for the growth of our club..

So how do you feel about the way Minson was treated last year by Bevo and how do you think Minson feels? In a short space of time he gone from a AA player to a VFL player. Using your logic, that really shouldn't happen.
Minson was also made to step aside primarily so that Cordy could be given an extended run at it and ironically Cordy is non longer at the club and Minson will be finishing his last year of his contract with us in 2016 and he will be a depth player.
The club even made an unsuccessful play for Lobbe such is their faith in Will and they are now planning to move one of our best key defenders into the ruck pushing Minson back further in the pecking order. Clearly the only reason why Minson is at the club is because of his contract.
I'd bet if Will could have moved clubs two years ago with the guarantee that he would play 39 senior games with another club rather than being basically on call with us he would have taken that option.

The point is that great club men like Cross and Minson can easily fall out of favour for any coach. For the Western Bulldogs, their new playing style and list management objectives over recent seasons has seen two former great players for us cast aside in one way or another and basically it is because of the timing of their contracts expiring. Cross went out a winner in our supporters eyes and played a lot more senior footy than he ever could have with us. Minson on the other hand has to now struggle through another season hoping to make the most of any opportunities he gets.

I think Cross was ultimately treated pretty well he made the best decision for himself and I certainly think the club did the right thing by him. I'm not getting the same vibe for Minson and he needs a few things to fall his way to even play 10 senior games next year.

I hope he can leave the club next year knowing he was played on his merits through 2016.

Remi Moses
16-12-2015, 05:38 AM
The club did the right thing with Cross.
Sentiment must not override the teams best interests , regardless of who they are.
We are here to win a bloody flag, and you get SFA being nice about it .

Mantis
16-12-2015, 08:11 AM
- in order of preference, more midfield time for: Stringer, JJ, Caleb, Hrovat, Dickson. Keep Crameri out of there, I can't handle his blind bombs forward ala Matty Boyd at his peak.

Forwards:
- it's been a bit concerning how little mention there has been of Toyd from the training reports. I really hope he has a big season, and see him in a partnership with Redpath (Toyd, Red, Stringer, Dickson, 2x rotating midfielders) as our best setup. I would expect at least 18 matches and 25 goals.

No room for Crameri as a forward either?

Mantis
16-12-2015, 08:15 AM

But it wasn't a dumb arse decision.. It was a decision that had to be made and our team is in a better position now because we made a tough, but correct call.

w3design
16-12-2015, 10:16 AM
So how do you feel about the way Minson was treated last year by Bevo and how do you think Minson feels? In a short space of time he gone from a AA player to a VFL player. Using your logic, that really shouldn't happen.
Minson was also made to step aside primarily so that Cordy could be given an extended run at it and ironically Cordy is non longer at the club and Minson will be finishing his last year of his contract with us in 2016 and he will be a depth player.
The club even made an unsuccessful play for Lobbe such is their faith in Will and they are now planning to move one of our best key defenders into the ruck pushing Minson back further in the pecking order. Clearly the only reason why Minson is at the club is because of his contract.
I'd bet if Will could have moved clubs two years ago with the guarantee that he would play 39 senior games with another club rather than being basically on call with us he would have taken that option.

The point is that great club men like Cross and Minson can easily fall out of favour for any coach. For the Western Bulldogs, their new playing style and list management objectives over recent seasons has seen two former great players for us cast aside in one way or another and basically it is because of the timing of their contracts expiring. Cross went out a winner in our supporters eyes and played a lot more senior footy than he ever could have with us. Minson on the other hand has to now struggle through another season hoping to make the most of any opportunities he gets.

I think Cross was ultimately treated pretty well he made the best decision for himself and I certainly think the club did the right thing by him. I'm not getting the same vibe for Minson and he needs a few things to fall his way to even play 10 senior games next year.

I hope he can leave the club next year knowing he was played on his merits through 2016.

Wow
That was written so well.. First let me apologise for getting emotional about this sport..I've been reminded lots of times its a business.. I will try and see it as both in season 2016 so there will be less complaining from me..
With regards to minson being dropped to give others opportunities, as much as I respect Luke Beveridge and do never want to hate on him like I did with Bmac, I can honestly say that not playing minson at afl level cost us.. Maybe it showed the club how important he is as a player and season 2016 may be a bigger and better year for minson. I personally believe that minson will get more games than you're suggesting.. He may be out of contract at season end, but there's still good footy in him and I'm sure he will give each and every game his absolute best.. He's not a runner.. But he's definitely good at his role when he wants to be <3

LostDoggy
16-12-2015, 10:43 AM
I think we all form emotional attachments to the players we watch try their guts out in the red, white and blue. Crossy personifies that and Will has been a warrior too. Within the club's football department, though, they are just as attached to the next generation of youngsters who we are desperate to get game time into.

For every game Will missed last year, it was an extra game we got into TC. That may have cost us slightly last year but may be to our benefit ultimately.

Similarly, we undoubtedly lost something when letting Crossy go, but maybe that meant that a Wallis or a JJ or a Webb/Dale is 5-15 games more developed than he otherwise would be. It also, in my view, in no way diminishes Crossy's legacy as a champion of our club.

I don't know if either of these calls were right - not every one of these decisions will be, but they are being made by a group of experienced people who know the intricacies of the players better than we do and are weighing up a lot more variables than we are aware of.

Dancin' Douggy
16-12-2015, 11:07 AM

I think we're one explosive midfielder off the pace. Ironically a Griffen/Cooney type.
A big strong fast line breaking goal kicking midfielder with fancy footwork who can break tackles and light the game up.

Other than that I think we seem to be OK. Boyd and Collins are both very highly rated talents at either end. A lot depends on their development. If they both blossom into the A graders we think they can be. Add Libber, Bont, Stringer, Macrae, Wood, Murph, Dal, Mitch, Morris (and I'd like to suggest Hunter) I think these are all guys in the A grade zone, Plus maybe a level lower, but Crammers, Dickson, Boyd. Looking pretty strong

LostDoggy
16-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I think we're one explosive midfielder off the pace. Ironically a Griffen/Cooney type.
A big strong fast line breaking goal kicking midfielder with fancy footwork who can break tackles and light the game up

Marcus Bontempelli says g'day :)

Mantis
16-12-2015, 11:28 AM

The Bont waltzes out of clearances with skill and finesse rather than explosive power.

Mofra
16-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Bottom 10% in his draft year for pace over the first few metres. It's the only chink in his armour.

I do think we need a burst midfielder but Hunter seems quick enough and has elite agility.
Stringer, Dahlhaus & Jong have serious burst pace so any one of those three in the centre at one time will provide that, but next years' draft is meant to be a mids draft so we may have that missing piece in 12 months time developing on our list anyway.

stefoid
16-12-2015, 12:05 PM
A big strong fast line breaking goal kicking midfielder with fancy footwork who can break tackles and light the game up.

5:50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfn8CnXztuk

Greystache
16-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Bottom 10% in his draft year for pace over the first few metres. It's the only chink in his armour.

I do think we need a burst midfielder but Hunter seems quick enough and has elite agility.
Stringer, Dahlhaus & Jong have serious burst pace so any one of those three in the centre at one time will provide that, but next years' draft is meant to be a mids draft so we may have that missing piece in 12 months time developing on our list anyway.

Agree. Jong early in the season looked like he was going to fill that gap perfectly. Hopefully he can regain the form he showed before he broke his hand.

Stringer can certainly play that role too, but anymore than a couple of minute burst here and there and I think we're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Agree. Jong early in the season looked like he was going to fill that gap perfectly. Hopefully he can regain the form he showed before he broke his hand.

Stringer can certainly play that role too, but anymore than a couple of minute burst here and there and I think we're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Agree on both accounts.

Big year for Jong coming up. He's improved a lot since coming to the club, but competition for spots will be at an all time high in 2016 and it wouldn't take much to fall well behind. His start to the year was fantastic, he got injured and struggled thereafter until he dominated the VFL final and then played pretty well v Adelaide in the EF.

Have to say, I was pretty encouraged with how he performed on the big stage against Adelaide. He certainly has a knack for big games already. Still going to be a huge test for him next year.

Sedat
16-12-2015, 01:13 PM
A premiership - we've waited long enough

KT31
16-12-2015, 01:39 PM
A premiership - we've waited long enough

I'm with you Sedat, its been far, far to long between drinks and its all I want.

Maddog37
16-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Just out of interest, who is Hawthorns version of this player?

LostDoggy
16-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Have to agree to disagree with a few in here re:Bont (admittedly depending on definitions). Even if he is not especially quick over a few paces, it doesn't matter if you read the play, have evasive skills and a big enough body to break tackles. In terms of metres gained from stoppages, he is up there with the best - for mine that is ultimately what being an explosive mid is all about.

To me the best players in the comp at consistently winning contested balls, clearing congestion, breaking lines and covering metres quickly are Fyfe, Dangerfield, Ablett and Bont. I would rate them as the elite explosive midfielders.

stefoid
16-12-2015, 05:37 PM
yep, quality clearances count for a lot. Last couple of years our clearance numbers, while large, consist mainly of hot potato handballs and/or slamming it on the boot.

Bont will hold the ball and evade or wear tackles until he finds the best option. cool as you like.

Stringer considers himself the best option. :)

Axe Man
16-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Backline:
- ideally we have a clear first choice key defender out of Roberts, Collins, Hamling, Cordy, Adams by the halfway point of the year. How many seasons in was Daniel Talia when he really announced himself? Debut season wasn't it? Hopefully Collins can replicate that.

Talia's breakout year was 2012 when he won the rising star award. He was drafted in 2009 and debuted in 2011. So he didn't have a real impact until his third year on the list at the age of 20/21.

If Collins was to have an impact in his first year at age 18 in a key defensive role it would be phenomenal. I think the expectations should be low for 2016. Simply playing well for Footscray would be fine, any AFL games will be a bonus.

Dancin' Douggy
17-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Another one.

Mofra
17-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Just out of interest, who is Hawthorns version of this player?
They've got a few that have rotated through - Isaac Smith although he often plays more outside is the obvious one.
Brad Hill and Billy Hartung are excellent runners.

azabob
17-12-2015, 04:49 PM
They've got a few that have rotated through - Isaac Smith although he often plays more outside is the obvious one.
Brad Hill and Billy Hartung are excellent runners.

Do Hill & Hartung do enough damage for the pace they have?

LostDoggy
17-12-2015, 10:39 PM

Not nearly half the damage combined to what the Bont can do with half their pace.

Mofra
22-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Hartung has elite endurance to go with his pace and seems to make "sound" decisions when he gets it. Rate him highly