PDA

View Full Version : Historical bulldog articles

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I've been finding a few different sources for articles about the history of Footwcray football club and thought I would post them up. Something to read over the off season.

Match report 1913 Grand Final:

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Tricolours%2BTriumph%2B-%2B1913%2BVFA%2BFinal%253A%2BFootscray%2Bv%2BNorth%2BMelbour ne/798

Was the 1924 Chamionship of Victoria game tarnished?

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf#xml=http://www.aafla.org:8080/verity_templates/jsp/search/xmlread.jsp?k2dockey=/mnt/docs/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf@aafla_pdf&serverSpec=localhost:9900&querytext=

Maybe our first Father/Son combination?

http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article67-Two-George-Ogilvie-s-40-years-of-Football

I will add some more soon.

Throughandthrough
14-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I've been finding a few different sources for articles about the history of Footwcray football club and thought I would post them up. Something to read over the off season.

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Tricolours%2BTriumph%2B-%2B1913%2BVFA%2BFinal%253A%2BFootscray%2Bv%2BNorth%2BMelbour ne/798

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf#xml=http://www.aafla.org:8080/verity_templates/jsp/search/xmlread.jsp?k2dockey=/mnt/docs/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf@aafla_pdf&serverSpec=localhost:9900&querytext=

An Father/Son combination from the old days:

[url]http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article67-Two-George-Ogilvie-s-40-years-o

Not much has changed at Essendon really since 1924.

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Not much has changed at Essendon really since 1924.

They have moaned and bitched and carped on about that match for 91 years now.

LostDoggy
14-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Whenever Hawthorn or North fans get on their high horse, it's always good to mention that they only got into the VFL on our coattails (most of them don't have a clue about the history anyway, in my experience).

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Exactly. We did all the hard work and they surfed in on our waves.

LostDoggy
14-12-2015, 10:42 PM
It's worth remembering too that we got to a flag by 1954, whereas Hawthorn took till 1961 (when coming from behind to overrun us in the GF) and North 1975, so in the first few decades we really were the leading team of the 1920s inductees. Of course, the last 50+ years haven't been so hot, but these things do change..........

Twodogs
15-12-2015, 12:19 AM
It's worth remembering too that we got to a flag by 1954, whereas Hawthorn took till 1961 (when coming from behind to overrun us in the GF) and North 1975, so in the first few decades we really were the leading team of the 1920s inductees. Of course, the last 50+ years haven't been so hot, but these things do change..........

In the mid 50s we had more members than any other club too.

Mantis
15-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Yeah, we really capitalised on our dominance as being the leading team of the 'inductees'... FMD!

Our lack of success is shameful.

LostDoggy
15-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Yeah, we really capitalised on our dominance as being the leading team of the 'inductees'... FMD!

Our lack of success is shameful.

Certainly agree our last 50 years have been awful and, at times, shameful.

I think there are people, like John Elliot and sections of the media, who like to make out that we have always been the losers/cellar dwellars/underlings from the West.

This negative stereotype is not true of our entire history. I think it's important for us, especially younger fans, to know this as negative self perceptions as a club can impede actual performance and success. We don't have to constantly see ourselves as losers and victims (as many do and would like us to as well).

We are a strong club that had great success over it's first 80 years or so. Sure we lost our way for a few decades, performed poorly (even shamefully) for too long, but in my opinion that is not who we are and we don't have to accept the role that so many want to place us in.

That's why I'm always happy to refer back to great achievements of our past, not trying to overlook the negative recent past or pretend we're something that we're not.

craigsahibee
15-12-2015, 02:10 PM

And we beat St Kilda to a flag and they were one of the foundation clubs. I like to remind my St Kilda friends that we are streaks ahead of them on the Premierships per Season table. As for Freo, GC and GWS. Ha. Losers ;)

Eastdog
15-12-2015, 05:35 PM
I like bornadog signature as it reminds us of all our success whether its at the top level or levels underneath.

bornadog
16-12-2015, 12:07 AM
I like bornadog signature as it reminds us of all our success whether its at the top level or levels underneath.

Yes we are over 130 years old so let's not forget the early years of football. We won premierships when some AFL clubs like Hawks, Nth and even Richmond (till 10-3) were still in the first competition to exist ie VFA. I don't think the VFA standard then was too much different to early VFL.

Remi Moses
17-12-2015, 01:30 AM
Stkilda have never even won a vfa flag
Now that is pathetic, and we look like Bayern Munich or Brazil in comparison to that rabble

Twodogs
23-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Footscray's fight for the four in 1940 along with a potted history of the club that I hadn't read anywhere else:

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Footscray%2527s%2Bfight%2Bfor%2B%2522the%2Bfour%2522/1154

Twodogs
23-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Not bulldogs specific but a very good potted history of football in Victoria from 1850s until 1900:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Australian_rules_football_in_Victoria_(1859–1900) #Williamstown_.26_district

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Maybe our first Father/Son combination?

http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article67-Two-George-Ogilvie-s-40-years-of-Football

The captain of our 1913 Grand Final, Johnny Craddock also was skipper in our 1919 and 1920 premiership wins. Craddock was said to be the Charlie Sutton on the VFA being of similar build and an outstanding leader. The Bulldog Heritage Book, Volume 1, gives an outstanding history written by his two daughters in 2010. Craddock had 8 children with two of them in son Stan Craddock being a successful racehorse trainer winning two Grand National Steeplechases. A daughter Myrtle Baylis went on to represent Australia in Women's Test cricket against England and also in International Softball.
Craddock was the beginning of many champions from the Braybrook Football Club which also included for members of the Western Bulldogs Team of the Century in Ted Whitten , Captain, Doug Hawkins who was named Vice Captain, Wally Donald a member of our '54 flag and George Bisset.

merantau
26-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Braybrook has a proud history. It would be interesting to know how many VFL/AFL players have come out of Braybrook.

Twodogs
26-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Braybrook has a proud history. It would be interesting to know how many VFL/AFL players have come out of Braybrook.

I saw a count of 22 in an article I read the other day but I think it's more than that.

LostDoggy
26-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I saw a count of 22 in an article I read the other day but I think it's more than that.

That's enough to construct a team on paper. C'mon TD, you know you want to.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-12-2015, 07:47 PM

The Braybrook Football Club had 30 plus players since the 1940's that played League football including 15 in its Club's Team of the Century.

Twodogs
26-12-2015, 09:18 PM
That's enough to construct a team on paper. C'mon TD, you know you want to.

Dammit I do! And I will. I have before but it was a long time ago.

Twodogs
26-12-2015, 09:19 PM
The Braybrook Football Club had 30 plus players since the 1940's that played League football including 15 in its Club's Team of the Century.

Thanks NPP. I knew it was more.

merantau
26-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Ted Whitten, Wally Donald, Doug Hawkins, George Bissett, Gary Merrington, Denis Collins, Robert Gronewagon, Ivan March, Lyle Anderson, Phil O'Keefe, Bob Spargo, Robert? Fox, John Cuzzupe, Ray Walker, Brian Wilson, Graham "Gubby" Allan, ......

Twodogs
27-12-2015, 12:13 AM

I have come up with 38 ex Braybrook players (not including blokes like Shepperbottom who could have been anything but ended up being nothing) to have played V/AFL footy. 35 with Footscray and 2 (Albert Proud and Gubby Allan) with other clubs. It also doesn't include club legends like Johnny Craddock who started at Braybrook and was a triple premiership captain in the VFA era.

Ted Whitten, Wally Donald, Doug Hawkins, George Bissett, Gary Merrington, Denis Collins, Robert Gronewagon, Ivan March, Lyle Anderson, Phil O'Keefe, Bob Spargo, Robert? Fox, John Cuzzupe, Ray Walker, Brian Wilson, Graham "Gubby" Allan, ......

Name/years played/games/goals

Lyle Anderson 57-59 23 games
Norm Armstrong 47-48 4 games
Lou Barker 47-49 24 games
Nils Becker 62-63 10
George Bissett 63-72 166/288 1 vic
Daryl Collins 74 1
Denis Collins 72-77 100/60
John Cuzzupe 92 1
Wally Donald 46-58 200/1 4 Vic
Reg Egan 50-53
Ian Foreman 52 1
Wayne Foreman 77-79 40/29
Robert Fox 72 1
Robert Gray 63-66 24/20
Robert Groenewagen 78-86 79/29
Wally Harris 41-43 16/8
Doug Hawkins 78-94 329/216 5 Vic
Mick Kelly 76-80 57/18
Dal Kennedy 43-45 16/1
Ben Le Seuer 37, 39 18/1
Robert LeSever 37/38
Jack Logan 46-48 31/14
Ivan Marsh 63-69 76/33
Garry Merrington 66-75 174/46
Phil O'Keefe 89 9/19
Brian Prior 58-60 13/9
Laurie Raine 1947 2
Ken Scott 46-47 13/3
Barry Thornton 59-61 22/2
Ray Walker 59-65 72/1 4 vic
Richard Wearmouth 44-52 100/27
Don Whitten 56-58 24/3
Ted Whitten 51-70 321/361 29 vic
Brian Wilson 78-79 9/5 (With Footscray but Brownlow, big Vee, All Australian, 200 games with other clubs.)
Clive Yewers 47-48 11/4

Non Bulldog v/afl Braybrook players.

Albert Proud (Brisbane) 2007-2010 29/10
Graham Allan (Fitzroy/Collingwood) 75-86 141/26

LostDoggy
27-12-2015, 12:51 AM
TD, curious to see you mention Michael Shepperbottom. I played junior footy in the same year as him. He was so far and away ahead of everyone in our year it wasn't funny. One game against us (Spotswood) he played in the centre and kicked 4 goals, all directly from centre bounce clearances, in the opening 10 minutes before we had scored. He ended up kickin 12 or 13 from memory. Following the weekly match scores, he routinely kicked 10 goals+ despite playing a range of positions.

The following year (mid 80s), I remember him kicking 3 goals in the last quarter for the Footscray reserves against Richmond at the MCG as a 16-17 year old (maybe his first game?) and thinking he was a future superstar. Then he seemed to just disappear. Never did hear the story of why he didn't go on with it.

Remi Moses
27-12-2015, 01:10 AM
I played cricket against him .
Very talented, but didn't really give a stuff
Played at Sunshine in the Vfa, and what a waste of a talent .
Should have played league footy

LostDoggy
27-12-2015, 01:25 AM
I played cricket against him .
Very talented, but didn't really give a stuff
Played at Sunshine in the Vfa, and what a waste of a talent .
Should have played league footy

Yep, remember that also - I used to play for Footscray ANA against him. Sunshine had a few cracking players in the 80s who briefly played with the Dogs, but should've done much more. Aside from Shepperbottom, Hugh Litchfield and Darren Brown (who was also a brilliant cricketer) come to mind.

Remi Moses
27-12-2015, 01:32 AM
To much grog and a good time for some .

Twodogs
27-12-2015, 01:47 AM
TD, curious to see you mention Michael Shepperbottom. I played junior footy in the same year as him. He was so far and away ahead of everyone in our year it wasn't funny. One game against us (Spotswood) he played in the centre and kicked 4 goals, all directly from centre bounce clearances, in the opening 10 minutes before we had scored. He ended up kickin 12 or 13 from memory. Following the weekly match scores, he routinely kicked 10 goals+ despite playing a range of positions.

The following year (mid 80s), I remember him kicking 3 goals in the last quarter for the Footscray reserves against Richmond at the MCG as a 16-17 year old (maybe his first game?) and thinking he was a future superstar. Then he seemed to just disappear. Never did hear the story of why he didn't go on with it.

It all comes a bit too easy for some and then when you go up a grade and have to work hard at doing things that came easily at a lower level then the old "I'd rather be playing with my mates at my local club" (read "I'd rather me 'mates' held me back than grow as a person and make something of my myself")

Yep, remember that also - I used to play for Footscray ANA against him. Sunshine had a few cracking players in the 80s who briefly played with the Dogs, but should've done much more. Aside from Shepperbottom, Hugh Litchfield and Darren Brown (who was also a brilliant cricketer) come to mind.

I'd forgotten Butch Litchfield. Geez those boys were outrageously talented. If the club had of been a bit more sophisticated in its player management and had managed to support Lichfield and Shepperbottom we could have had two superstars all through the '90s. Imagine having the two of them in the '97-99 tilt?

Twodogs
27-12-2015, 01:47 AM

It all comes a bit too easy for some and then when you go up a grade and have to work hard at doing things that came easily at a lower level then the old "I'd rather be playing with my mates at my local club" (read "I'd rather me 'mates' held me back than grow as a person and make something of my myself")

I'd forgotten Butch Litchfield. Geez those boys were outrageously talented. If the club had of been a bit more sophisticated in its player management and had managed to support Lichfield and Shepperbottom we could have had two superstars all through the '90s. Imagine having the two of them in the '97-99 tilt?

Remi Moses
27-12-2015, 02:44 AM
I was told those sunshine players had to be babysat the night before the big finals in the 80's.

merantau
27-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Butch Litchfield played one game for our twos and kicked three goals. It was at the Lake Oval. He had the ability but .... who knows why he didn't .... only he I suppose.
The Litchfields were a large Braybrook family - good cricketers and footballers.

Twodogs
27-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Could it be something as simple as catastrophizing? We ascribe all these reasons as to why somebody doesn't do something but fear of failure can be a strong (non) motivation.

merantau
27-12-2015, 12:26 PM
What the academics like to call "socio-cultural" factors might have played a part.
In the 50s and 60s, where I grew up, there was a family of Shepperbottoms. They lived in the newly built Housing Commission estate on the north side of South Road in Braybrook. That estate came about as a result of Melbourne hosting the '56 Olympics.
During the war a U.S. army camp was established at Royal Park near the Zoo. It was mainly comprised of Nissen huts. When the war ended, and it was empty, the Government decided to move all the people out of Dudley Flats to this camp. It was called Camp Pell.
Dudley Flats was a shanty town that had its origins with victims of the Depression who were evicted by landlords and had no where else to go. They used whatever they could find to build humpies on the wasteland between the Coode Canal (which ran beside Dynon Rd) and Footscray Rd. There was a great deal of deprivation and dysfunction which was replicated when the people were moved to Camp Pell.
The place was an eyesore. Melbourne had to be cleaned up prior to the Olympics so the place was razed and the population moved out to HC estates in Braybrook and Broadmeadows.
Carl Williams' family came out of Camp Pell. It was a hard place to grow up and it's often times very difficult to escape you background.
Things are not always as simple as they seem.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Bob Spargo and "Gubby Allan" didn't play at Braybrook.

merantau
27-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Re Bob Spargo: I was surprised to read in Jim Main's "AFL Footballers" that he played for Braybrook. The book is wrong then. Gubby Allan played for Sunshine so I'm wrong there too.

Bulldog4life
27-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Re Bob Spargo: I was surprised to read in Jim Main's "AFL Footballers" that he played for Braybrook. The book is wrong then. Gubby Allan played for Sunshine so I'm wrong there too.

Wiki says it is Braybrook too although as a kid I thought he was from Albury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Spargo

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-12-2015, 06:24 PM

The Spargo family grew up in Footscray where Bob Spargo Snr. Was a fireman. Bob was one of many that came through the Footscray 6ths under the coaching of Norm Gardner, many of whom went on to play in our 1961 Grand Final side. These included Ware Jillard Evans, Graeme and Barry Ion, Cam McDonald Bob Ware and Merv Hobbs. Bob Spargo eventually coached Albury and now resides on the Gold Coast.

merantau
27-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Bob Spargo was a brilliant footballer and like his dad, Bob senior, a well-performed pro-runner. I believe he made a Stawell Gift final.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Bob Spargo was a brilliant footballer and like his dad, Bob senior, a well-performed pro-runner. I believe he made a Stawell Gift final.

Ricky Spargo the younger brother of Bob also made the Stawell Gift final. A terrific achievement to have 3 family members reach the famous final.

Bulldog4life
28-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Ricky Spargo the younger brother of Bob also made the Stawell Gift final. A terrific achievement to have 3 family members reach the famous final.

I think Ricky played 60 odd games with us too. I remember him as a speedy winger/rover type.

Twodogs
28-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Not a bad CV for Bob. Stawell gift Finalist, Grand Final player.

Twodogs
28-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Footscray Grand Final player at that. there aren't many of those.

There have been more Presidents of the USA.

Twodogs
28-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Footscray, Identity and Football History

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/FootballStudies/1998/FS0101g.pdf

Interesting essay but I'm not quite sure what his point is.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Bob and Ricky Spargo lived in Droop St Footscray at the fire brigade flats in the 1950's and early 60's. My brother and I used to kick the footy with Ricky and Bob would have a chat. Bob would have been 20 yo in 1959, when I was 5yo. so I don't know if the flats was where they moved to support his footy but the whole family was there and his dad also played for the Dogs.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Not a bad CV for Bob. Stawell gift Finalist, Grand Final player.

And he won the Simpson medal for best player versus the big V after he moved to WA.

Twodogs
28-12-2015, 08:28 PM
And he won the Simpson medal for best player versus the big V after he moved to WA.

I was going to ask if he played rep footy. Thanks for that.

Twodogs
02-01-2016, 03:20 PM
A three thousand word long commentary of a VFA game from back in 1922. The reporter must have had a photographic memory to recall the level of detail he has:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/75070266?searchTerm=%22Vernon%20Banbury%22&searchLimits=l-availability=y|||l-state=Victoria|||l-title=231

We even get to boo the umpires.

ledge
09-05-2018, 12:33 PM
It is with sadness I post that butch Litchfield passed away , I grew up with him and played cricket and footy with him , in recent times he struggled with a few demons but I will always remember him being such a good bloke and a sports freak who should have gone a lot further . RIP Butch a champ from the west.