PDA

View Full Version : A brief history of our finals matches

Pages : 1 [2]

Twodogs
09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
I was absolutely gutted after this loss, especially considering I spent the best part of 2 hours bagging Billy Brainless who did stuff-all until that goal after the siren. I turned around to my mate and said that after enduring that sort of heartbreak, we can endure anything....we hadn't even scratched the surface yet when it comes to September heartache :(

Yep. We were just starting our heartbreak.

merantau
09-02-2016, 03:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oq5tVhCbJ8

The first 6-7 minutes of this are edited highlights of the first quarter. Pure joy.
I was at the game. It was lovely to watch the highlights again. Thanks for posting.

jeemak
09-02-2016, 09:45 PM
He was a very clever clogs. Went to Melbourne High (or Uni high-whichever gives out scholarships) on a scholarship and then on to Melbourne Uni.

Literally walked in off the street according to legend. The story goes that Ijlia couldn't find footy boots to fit him anywhere so he went to the footy club to ask where they got their football boots. The receptionist looked up at him and said "you play football?" and asked him to wait where he was while she went and found someone from the footy department!

MHS, and there's some truth to the story surrounding his recruitment.

Twodogs
09-02-2016, 09:52 PM
MHS, and there's some truth to the story surrounding his recruitment.

I so want it to be true.

From what I have heard it was a bit more of a planned move by monster to get the attention of the club than him needing to find a shoe guy. Because he didn't play for a local club he felt he had fallen through the cracks and the club hadn't noticed him is how it was related to me.

jeemak
09-02-2016, 09:55 PM
I so want it to be true.

From what I have heard it was a bit more of a planned move by monster to get the attention of the club than him needing to find a shoe guy. Because he didn't play for a local club he felt he had fallen through the cracks and the club hadn't noticed him is how it was related to me.

MHS played mid-week football and they also had teams in the WJFA and other eastern suburban leagues. I think it was a couple of his school teachers, one of whom was heavily involved in his school football commitments that hatched the plan which as you say, didn't really have a huge amount to do with actually needing footy boots as a priority.

Twodogs
09-02-2016, 11:47 PM
MHS played mid-week football and they also had teams in the WJFA and other eastern suburban leagues. I think it was a couple of his school teachers, one of whom was heavily involved in his school football commitments that hatched the plan which as you say, didn't really have a huge amount to do with actually needing footy boots as a priority.

It's funny that one little street in Kingsville spawned two AFL players at the same time. Rohan Smith and Ijlia Grgic. And pretty much polar opposite type AFL players. One small and speedy and a great kick and one big, strong and not the most reliable kick. Completely different pathways too.

jeemak
10-02-2016, 12:09 AM
You'd have to say the latter would have benefited from current day talent identification and management, and potentially would have had a greater incentive to focus on football and treat it as a priority whilst still managing to earn his engineering qualifications.

At the age of 21 he's kicked a bag of six in his debut season, carried the ruck in his second senior year and kicked 27 goals, following things up with 39 goals as a tall forward and ruck. Bloody good numbers, elite by today's standards.

Shame he struggled with continuity after those seasons.

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 01:32 AM
What wore him down on the end? Was it expectation, injury, impatience at the trough of form he went through?

He should really have had a long career.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 01:42 AM
What wore him down on the end? Was it expectation, injury, impatience at the trough of form he went through?

Going to Essendon?

jeemak
10-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Injuries (back). Playing at MHSOBFC in the years he was finishing up there was always a hope he'd come to us and dominate in our A-grade years but it was never realistic. By the time he finished with WCE, and ended up at EFC it was pretty clear he was cooked. His post footy career was definitely more important to him and fair enough (by my understanding), he had six or seven years at the elite level and that was a pretty good stint.

Hence my comments about him likely benefiting from a more modern system. A guy like that might not have faltered so quickly these days, and may have had an avenue towards longevity, given we now look at 200cm players as not being truly developed until they turn 25.

Sedat
10-02-2016, 11:27 AM

Being fat (by AFL standards) wouldn't have helped. Wasn't the best trainer the game has ever seen. He was probably ahead of his time with the type of player he was - would be the ideal prototype ruck/forward in todays game. Back then the traditional full-forward still ruled the roost - Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Modra, etc.. were still at or close to their peak.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 05:31 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #28 (9-18)

Can't say I've been looking forward to this one.

So Adelaide get over Geelong and we meet them in the Prelim at the MCG in front of 70,088.

Either way the result will be historic, StKilda had already won their Prelim and many were talking of the romance of the 2 least successful Melbourne clubs meeting in a GF (although it would've been Adelaide's first GF, so still a good storyline there).

We went into the game strong favourites, having beaten Adelaide comprehensively in Adelaide in R20 and having won our first final so comprehensively. Adelaide, by comparison kicked 4.2 to 1.4 in the last quarter to sneak past Geelong by 8 points in Adelaide.

I remember the first 10 minutes as similar to the Sydney final, with fierce contests, but with our defence looking really strong. We never cracked Adelaide open, but a lovely passage leading to a Matthew Dent goal late in the first really settled the nerves. At quarter time we led 2.2.14 to 0.7.7 (I don't remember Adelaide missing easy shots, more that we forced low percentage shots and rushed a couple).

In the 2nd the game really opened up and we put ourselves into a strong position, going in 31 points ahead; 10.6.66 to 4.11.35.

At this point, we really felt comfortably in control, the only dark cloud being Jose Romero's shoulder. He went in with a dicky shoulder, didn't take the first few bumps well and struggled from thereon in.

In the 3rd, Adelaide threw everything at us and made some headway, but it did feel like we had all the answers and still led 13.7.85 to 8.15.63.

The last unravelled like a nightmare, as Adelaide scored a goal or 2, it still felt like we had plenty in hand. Libba's goal given a point. All that space for Jarman. I can't put it into a proper context - it was just a nightmare. Then Granty's snap in the dying seconds that was going through, but smothered by a Crow who really should've been shepherded away.

So many shouldas and couldas. No Dogs fan old enough can forget this day. Of our disappointments, this was the cruellest. I've walked away from games angry, sad, disappointed, but this one was different, it was like something important had died - I was with 4 Dogs fans and in the hour after the match no-one said a word.

I rewatched the last quarter again before writing this. Those postmatch scenes are still so stark, Bubba pounding the turf, Plough leaving the coaches box in a daze.

James Cook was great that day, kicking 6, whilst Chris Grant and Mark West kicked 2 each.

Best players were Grant (19 possession, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 2.2), Mark West (gave great grunt and physicality once on, gathering 24 possessions, 3 tackles, kicking 2.1 although his miss was gettable at a key moment), Scott West (as always, in and under everything, 33 possessions), Cook (12 possessions, 6 marks, 6.2) and Tony Liberatore (24 possessions, 4 tackles).

The stats from the match indicate we were slightly the better team, with 302 possessions to 291, the one glaring and surprising exception being the tackle count (something I never knew until today).

In a year when we nearly always outtackled our opposition, on Prelim Day, Adelaide laid 43 (about average for the time) whereas we laid a shockingly low 17 - 13 of our players failed to register a single tackle. Given we were overrun late, it's hard not to look to this as a factor.

Anyway we had to regroup. We still had a squad right in the sweet spot for success, with the Prelim team mostly in the 22-26 range, the only exceptions being Libba (31), Wynd (27) and Hudson (27) on the older side and Johnson (21), Cox (20), Martin (20) and Brown (19) on the younger side.

bornadog
10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
I listened to this final in Singapore and 3/4 time I said to my wife "we are 30 minutes away from a Grand Final", I was so happy and couldn't wait to make my way back to Melbourne. I remember my wife saying - Don't Say That.

:(:mad::(:mad::mad:

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 06:13 PM
All that is good and everything but let's face it. It really didn't happen. We just all think it did.

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 06:13 PM
For some reason.

merantau
10-02-2016, 07:54 PM
I really believe they won the game because they were fitter. It was a hot day. Sadly, I'm still haunted by a vision of Kane Johnson. It's the last quarter and he's running away from our blokes and banging the ball inside 50. I don't like Adelaide at all.

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 08:13 PM
I really believe they won the game because they were fitter. It was a hot day. Sadly, I'm still haunted by a vision of Kane Johnson. It's the last quarter and he's running away from our blokes and banging the ball inside 50. I don't like Adelaide at all.

That's the vision I take away too. Him running down one side of the ground and Nigel Smart running down the other.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 08:22 PM
The Sydney game was sensational. It was the best performance I ever saw from Leon Cameron. He was dead-set phenomenal.

I recall one minute silence being held prior to the bounce for Princess Diana, and a couple of inconsiderate fans yelling out, "Go Diana".

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 08:27 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #28 (9-18)

Can't say I've been looking forward to this one.

So Adelaide get over Geelong and we meet them in the Prelim at the MCG in front of 70,088.

Either way the result will be historic, StKilda had already won their Prelim and many were talking of the romance of the 2 least successful Melbourne clubs meeting in a GF (although it would've been Adelaide's first GF, so still a good storyline there).

We went into the game strong favourites, having beaten Adelaide comprehensively in Adelaide in R20 and having won our first final so comprehensively. Adelaide, by comparison kicked 4.2 to 1.4 in the last quarter to sneak past Geelong by 8 points in Adelaide.

I remember the first 10 minutes as similar to the Sydney final, with fierce contests, but with our defence looking really strong. We never cracked Adelaide open, but a lovely passage leading to a Matthew Dent goal late in the first really settled the nerves. At quarter time we led 2.2.14 to 0.7.7 (I don't remember Adelaide missing easy shots, more that we forced low percentage shots and rushed a couple).

In the 2nd the game really opened up and we put ourselves into a strong position, going in 31 points ahead; 10.6.66 to 4.11.35.

At this point, we really felt comfortably in control, the only dark cloud being Jose Romero's shoulder. He went in with a dicky shoulder, didn't take the first few bumps well and struggled from thereon in.

In the 3rd, Adelaide threw everything at us and made some headway, but it did feel like we had all the answers and still led 13.7.85 to 8.15.63.

The last unravelled like a nightmare, as Adelaide scored a goal or 2, it still felt like we had plenty in hand. Libba's goal given a point. All that space for Jarman. I can't put it into a proper context - it was just a nightmare. Then Granty's snap in the dying seconds that was going through, but smothered by a Crow who really should've been shepherded away.

So many shouldas and couldas. No Dogs fan old enough can forget this day. Of our disappointments, this was the cruellest. I've walked away from games angry, sad, disappointed, but this one was different, it was like something important had died - I was with 4 Dogs fans and in the hour after the match no-one said a word.

I rewatched the last quarter again before writing this. Those postmatch scenes are still so stark, Bubba pounding the turf, Plough leaving the coaches box in a daze.

James Cook was great that day, kicking 6, whilst Chris Grant and Mark West kicked 2 each.

Best players were Grant (19 possession, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 2.2), Mark West (gave great grunt and physicality once on, gathering 24 possessions, 3 tackles, kicking 2.1 although his miss was gettable at a key moment), Scott West (as always, in and under everything, 33 possessions), Cook (12 possessions, 6 marks, 6.2) and Tony Liberatore (24 possessions, 4 tackles).

The stats from the match indicate we were slightly the better team, with 302 possessions to 291, the one glaring and surprising exception being the tackle count (something I never knew until today).

In a year when we nearly always outtackled our opposition, on Prelim Day, Adelaide laid 43 (about average for the time) whereas we laid a shockingly low 17 - 13 of our players failed to register a single tackle. Given we were overrun late, it's hard not to look to this as a factor.

Anyway we had to regroup. We still had a squad right in the sweet spot for success, with the Prelim team mostly in the 22-26 range, the only exceptions being Libba (31), Wynd (27) and Hudson (27) on the older side and Johnson (21), Cox (20), Martin (20) and Brown (19) on the younger side.

This was the worst day at the football that I have ever experienced :(
For 3 Qtr's it was magical.
I don't think dad and I said more then two words to each other on the train home back to Mulgrave.
We both almost slipped into an unconcious state of depression.

jeemak
10-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Goodwin's goal from the boundary was the moment that sticks out for me, and Smart/Johnson running.

boydogs
10-02-2016, 10:38 PM
We were really fast starters in 1997. If I missed the start of the game I wouldn't be surprised to see us 5 goals up at quarter time. We always just seemed to ice the games after that, Sydney a perfect example, but Adelaide found a way to come back

bulldogtragic
10-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Can we jump to the premiership winning players grand son who stole match info and gave it to his brother to use against us in a heart breaking final we narrowly lost. But then we'd miss discussing the Andrew Hooper half time goal, I guess.

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Can we jump to the premiership winning players grand son who stole match info and gave it to his brother to use against us in a heart breaking final we narrowly lost. But then we'd miss discussing the Andrew Hooper half time goal, I guess.

Love your work.

Sedat
10-02-2016, 11:21 PM
That's the vision I take away too. Him running down one side of the ground and Nigel Smart running down the other.
Shaun Rehn destroyed Scott Wynd out of the middle and gave their runners first use. Was really telling towards the end. Rehn missed 3 years with knee recos - Adelaide finished something like 12th, 13th and 13th in those years. In between he was fully fit for two seasons - 1st and 1st. Top shelf ruckman before injuries slowed him down - he was shot by the time he got to Hawthorn.

Truth be told we only played one scintillating quarter in that match - we were smashed in the 1st but Adelaide kicked atrociously. They dominated the 3rd but we got goals on the break and of course they dominated the last qtr (except the first 5 minutes). I didn't sleep a wink after this match for about 3 days, and I'm just a mug in the outer - I can only imagine how Wallace and the players must have felt.

And then less than 2 months later I was at the same venue seeing Australia piss down the drain a World Cup berth against Iran by choking in the last 20 minutes. I can't separate either of these two matches in terms of heartbreak - I was as desperate to see Australia in a World Cup as I was to see the Dogs win a flag.

Twodogs
11-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Shaun Rehn destroyed Scott Wynd out of the middle and gave their runners first use. Was really telling towards the end. Rehn missed 3 years with knee recos - Adelaide finished something like 12th, 13th and 13th in those years. In between he was fully fit for two seasons - 1st and 1st. Top shelf ruckman before injuries slowed him down - he was shot by the time he got to Hawthorn.

Truth be told we only played one scintillating quarter in that match - we were smashed in the 1st but Adelaide kicked atrociously. They dominated the 3rd but we got goals on the break and of course they dominated the last qtr (except the first 5 minutes). I didn't sleep a wink after this match for about 3 days, and I'm just a mug in the outer - I can only imagine how Wallace and the players must have felt.

And then less than 2 months later I was at the same venue seeing Australia piss down the drain a World Cup berth against Iran by choking in the last 20 minutes. I can't separate either of these two matches in terms of heartbreak - I was as desperate to see Australia in a World Cup as I was to see the Dogs win a flag.

I'd forgotten about Australia pissing a two goal lead away that soon after. Bad couple of months at the office.

My poor cousin had her 21st the night of the preliminary final. Hired a big hall in Yarraville. Pretty much everybody had gone home by 7.30.

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 09:07 AM
The entire week was a miserable one.

We actually lost two games by less than a kick. Obviously the Adelaide one, but our reserves also lost the curtain raiser. They lost to Richmond by three points, IIRC.

Then there was the episode two nights later that made every Bulldogs fan despise Ian Collins when Grant couldn't take home Charlie.

Torpedo
11-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Was it during the halftime break or 3/4 time that Shaun Rehn took his knee brace off? I think it was then I thought to myself that just has to lift the team. Seemed to coincide with them getting back into the game.

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 12:32 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #29 (9-19)

Looking back at the 1998 season, we really were a powerful team. For the only time ever, we spent the entire season in the top 2 and spent 15 rounds on top of the table (we've only claimed top spot for 62 weeks in our entire VFL/AFL history).

We had a chance to claim our first ever minor premiership coming up against ladder leaders North in the last round (we both had a 15-6 record leading into the match). As we do though, we led at every change, put in a fantastically entertaining performance to ultimately pull up 5 points short (113-108).

So we finished 2nd, with a 15-7 (116.5%) record. This still left us very well placed, with a win against 7th placed West Coast guaranteeing us a passage direct to the Preliminary Final. The game was played in front of 43,205 at the MCG on a Sunday afternoon.

Looking back at the team make-up, it really was our time to put our best foot forward. For the first time ever in a final, our games played (2371) average exceeded 100, with only 2 players under 35 games (Nathan Brown and Mark West) and 7 over 150 (Tony Liberatore, Scott Wynd, Chris Grant, Paul Hudson, Jose Romero, Steve Kolyniuk and Leon Cameron).

Despite all of this experience, only one player was in his 30's (Libba, 32). The average age was 25.8.

Of our finals wins, this was amongst the most authoritative, we were clinical in the first, leading 5-0-30 to 1-1-7. WCE had no answers to our midfield dominance and we extended our margin every quarter. By half time it was 8-7-55 to 4-4-28, by 3QT 14-11-95 to 5-6-36 and by full time 18-13-121 to 7-9-51.

There is not much to talk about really, we were a pretty well oiled machine at this stage, simply superior to our opponents on the day.

Multiple goal kickers were Simon Minton-Connell 5, Chris Grant 4, Paul Hudson and Steve Kolyniuk, 2.

Best players were Grant (21 touches, 7 marks, 4 goals), Jose Romero (27 touches, 6 clearances, 7 marks, 3 tackles), Brett Montgomery (22 touches, 11 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal), Brad Johnson (21 touches, 7 marks, 5 inside 50s) and Simon Minton-Connell (16 touches, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 5 goals 3 behinds).

bornadog
12-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Went to this game and as you say, we were just too good for WCE, overall an enjoyable final. Walked out full of confidence that we could take the next step.

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Ah, 1998. When I talk about that season, I mention to others exactly what you mentioned, PP. That we spent 22 weeks in the top two, and 15 weeks on top. You're the first person I have heard in over 17 years mention that. Well done.

The first thing I remember about the final against West Coast is that Montgomery took a screamer. He also took screamers that year against Sydney (rd. 5), Essendon (rd. 21) and against one other team that for some reason has escaped me. This is actually the first time I can remember not remembering all four of his marks.

Greystache
12-02-2016, 03:22 PM
After this game I was confident the club had finally turned around and could genuinely win a flag. We went is as the mature team, favourites, and expected to win easily on our way to bigger things, and we delivered exactly that. No stage fright, our best players played well, and we never gave the opposition a look in. It was clinical. Then the next match happened and it was all wiped out.

Bulldog4life
12-02-2016, 03:45 PM
This was the worst day at the football that I have ever experienced :(
For 3 Qtr's it was magical.
I don't think dad and I said more then two words to each other on the train home back to Mulgrave.
We both almost slipped into an unconcious state of depression.

I have read a few times by various Woofers and my father and I did the same thing. It was like we were in shock. The most depressed I have felt after a game without a doubt.

Twodogs
12-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Looking back at the 1998 season, we really were a powerful team. For the only time ever, we spent the entire season in the top 2 and spent 15 rounds on top of the table (we've only claimed top spot for 62 weeks in our entire VFL/AFL history).

How many weeks have we competed do you know?

Twodogs
12-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I have read a few times by various Woofers and my father and I did the same thing. It was like we were in shock. The most depressed I have felt after a game without a doubt.

I was there with my dad too. Stunned silence. We were behind the goals a few rows back and we knew Libba's behind was a goal, we could see the looks on Grant and Hudson's faces as Hudson wouldn't get out of the way, could easily count the number of players on their own in and better positions both times Mark West had a ping from way out. The only thing we couldn't see was who was supposed to be on Jarman.

Axe Man
12-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Make that 3 of us. My old man just sort of stormed off after the final siren and I lost him in the crowd. Managed to catch up to him on the walk to the car. Was a long silent drive back to Warragul.

Bulldog4life
12-02-2016, 04:40 PM
I was there with my dad too. Stunned silence. We were behind the goals a few rows back and we knew Libba's behind was a goal, we could see the looks on Grant and Hudson's faces as Hudson wouldn't get out of the way, could easily count the number of players on their own in and better positions both times Mark West had a ping from way out. The only thing we couldn't see was who was supposed to be on Jarman.

Curley wasn't it?

Mantis
12-02-2016, 04:45 PM

That was Todd Curley... Pretty sure our best defensive stopper was on the pine in the last qtr... whilst we were out on our feet our lack of composure and inability of the coaching staff to change things up really hurt.

It was a bloody car wreck and besides my best efforts to get completely shit faced soon after and forget the proceeding 24 hours the memory of those 2 & half hours lives on.. If only Modra didn't get hurt.

Torpedo
12-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Same here. At half time family members were deciding who would go home and get some supplies and who would walk over to the Arts Centre after the game and get in the queue for tix. By 3/4 time we were still working out the logistics if somewhat hesitantly. The walk home past those smarmy Crows theatre goers, was the worst after match feeling I have experienced in 50 plus years of supporting the dogs.

boydogs
12-02-2016, 11:12 PM
How many weeks have we competed do you know?

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/bullldogs/overall_wl.html

Twodogs
13-02-2016, 12:35 AM

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/bullldogs/overall_wl.html

Thanks for the link.

Greystache
13-02-2016, 01:43 AM
Was it during the halftime break or 3/4 time that Shaun Rehn took his knee brace off? I think it was then I thought to myself that just has to lift the team. Seemed to coincide with them getting back into the game.

Halftime. It was a statement that he didn't care if he did it again again and most likely finished his career, he was going to give everything to try to win the game. The Crows lifted in the 3rd quarter but didn't really convert it on the scoreboard, then they dominated the last quarter and got up and won. It was a big statement and we didn't have anyone who stood up and rested back the momentum. It was a telling statement.

LostDoggy
15-02-2016, 12:56 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #30 (10-19)

So we've had our best ever home and away season in terms of ladder position through the year, dominated our first final and, in our 5th final series in 7 seasons, looked to have a perfectly matured team to have a serious tilt at winning a flag.

We came up against Adelaide, who had finished 5th, been beaten by 8 goals in it's first final (only survived because other results fell their way) and got over a tired Sydney in the 2nd week of the finals. We had beaten Adelaide by 10 goals midseason and the mood was palpably that we would exact our revenge for the previous year.

This was the first Bulldog final I didn't see live in my lifetime. I remember the Channel 7 intro talking only about Bulldog revenge and not offering any thought of an Adelaide victory.

Of all our finals, this is the one where we clearly lost it mentally. Our defensive game just disintegrated inexplicably as our sense of destiny unfolded in the face of Adelaide attacks.

Adelaide got off to a good start and led 5-6-36 to 2-5-17, however we were doing okay in the middle and I remember still feeling confident that we would click into gear and take control.

We were the better team in the second and created many chances, but we missed too many and allowed Adelaide to score way too freely with their chances. Despite drawing close a couple of times, Adelaide got a couple of easy ones late and by half time the scoreline read 13-8-86 to 7-10-52.

We were clearly shellshocked and seemingly threw all defence out the window, worrying about getting our attacking style in full force in order to bridge the gap, but hopelessly bleeding goals the other way.

Our gaping hole was KPD's, with Craig Ellis injured and Matthew Croft our only defender really suitable for a key post. Adelaide exploited this by isolating Matthew Robran at CHF, who had a career best 10 mark, 6 goal day out, playing significant portions of the game on a severely ill equipped Rohan Smith.

Looking back this game was a coaching masterclass from Malcolm Blight with Plough really failing to respond. Blight's 1998 efforts to take a team with glaring weaknesses (their only quality big man was a proppy Rehn, their key position players were uniformly modest or undersized) from a struggling 5th to a flag despite playing interstate finals against higher ranked teams 4 weeks in a row probably doesn't get it's due recognition. A brilliant coaching performance.

The last half was horribly painful, as bad as 1997 in a whole different range of emotions. By 3QT the scoreline blew out to 18-11-119 to 9-13-67 and finally 24-17-161 to 13-15-93.

Looking back to the stats, we won the clearances 44 to 33 and the overall possession count 310 to 292. This confirms the impression that we were going okay from the midfield, but were utterly hopeless defensively.

Multiple goalkickers were Paul Hudson, 5, and Brad Johnson and Rohan Smith, 2.

Better players were Scott West, 36 touches and 9 clearances, both game highs (amazingly, no Adelaide player had more than 20 touches), Jose Romero (32 touches, 6 clearances), Brad Johnson (20 touches, 8 marks, 8 inside 50s, 2 goals 1) and Michael Martin (21 touches, 8 inside 50s).

bornadog
15-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I gave up at half time, we were clearly undermanned, with no Key Backs to stop that dud Robran. Andrew McCleod was also brilliant for them and unstoppable with his pace.

Twodogs
15-02-2016, 01:09 PM
The thing i mostly remember from that game was that I had just become a dad for the first time and was so unbelievably tired that I fell asleep in my seat and missed most of the match. I vaguely remember Bubba struggling with Robran.

merantau
15-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Didn't Libber start the game on McLeod? My memories of this game still persist no matter what I do to erase them. I've tried hypnosis, psychotherapy, cognitive - readjustment therapy, celation therapy, channeling my inner viking and those pills the priests take to forget all the horrible sins they hear in the confessional - all to no avail.

LostDoggy
15-02-2016, 09:10 PM
:( The most vivid memories I have of this disaster was Mcleod running riot and my old man wanting to go home at 3 qtr time.
Told him no way was going home until the final siren.
Didn't want to walk past those feral crows on the way out as there would've been a bit of trouble and I'm not sure the old man would have survived a night in the lock up. :eek:

Sedat
16-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Plough was a very innovative coach but his penchant for innovation blew up in this match. Libba, only a couple of weeks back from an ACL, playing small defender on a jet like McLeod was sheer madness. But Rohan Smith at CHB on Robran was worse. The theory is sound enough - get rebounding run off a dud tall - but you still need to have some defensive ability one-on-one, which is certainly not Bubba's strong-suit. Crap day at the office, and proof that the scars of 1997 had not healed for that group and most likely never will be (1999 capitulation in the final v West Coke just reinforced to me that this group was spooked come September).

That is why last year's finals loss annoyed the crap out of me at the time and still does now - this new generation of players failed to get the job done, against an inferior opponent, when 8 points up approaching time-on. You don't get gift-wrapped opportunities to win finals and we should have taken it.

Twodogs
16-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Plough was a very innovative coach but his penchant for innovation blew up in this match. Libba, only a couple of weeks back from an ACL, playing small defender on a jet like McLeod was sheer madness. But Rohan Smith at CHB on Robran was worse. The theory is sound enough - get rebounding run off a dud tall - but you still need to have some defensive ability one-on-one, which is certainly not Bubba's strong-suit. Crap day at the office, and proof that the scars of 1997 had not healed for that group and most likely never will be (1999 capitulation in the final v West Coke just reinforced to me that this group was spooked come September).

That is why last year's finals loss annoyed the crap out of me at the time and still does now - this new generation of players failed to get the job done, against an inferior opponent, when 8 points up approaching time-on. You don't get gift-wrapped opportunities to win finals and we should have taken it.

Yep. All that talk about letting that failure drive the playing group is just that-talk-until these players actually achieve something.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 12:28 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #31 (10-20)

I remember 1999 as an anxious year for Dogs fans. We knew we had a group capable of contending for a flag, but after the heartbreaks of the 2 previous years, the mood was very much that our team was aging and we needed to make this year count.

The year started gloriously. Never missing an opportunity for drama, the AFL sent us to Adelaide to meet the Crows in R1 and we managed to get a win against our new arch nemesis.

After this, though, we hit a real funk, dropping 4 of 5 games and conceding some big totals.

Our form from R7 was quite excellent. We only dropped 2 more games for the rest of the season, both by less than a kick.

By seasons end we had worked our way back into the top 4, and seemingly right back into contention. The top 4 looked an even bunch, with a big 14 point gap from 4th to 5th.

Overall our season was very comparable to '98. Although our finishing position was lower, we did win 15 games (1 draw 6 losses), compared to '98s 15-7 and our percentage was slightly higher, 118.6, up on 116.5.

So we were down to play West Coast Eagles at the MCG in front of 41,227 on a wild, windy Friday night.

It quickly became apparent on this night that the stiff, swirling wind was going to make fluid passages and high marking rare. Malthouse coached cannily, getting his quality ball carrier and user, the experienced Peter Matera behind the ball for key passages and generally stacking the backline.

The first quarter was a fairly typical finals intense feeling out period, with the teams breaking even. We led 2-5-17 to 2-3-15.

By the 2nd quarter, the Eagles had developed a game plan that absorbed our pressure and tried to score on the counter punch into an open forward line.

The game plan worked a treat with the Eagles taking their chances and us frittering plenty (same old story). By half time, they opened up a handy 16 point lead, 7-5-47 to 4-7-31.

In the 3rd, our attacks became more frenetic, even panicked, but we worked our way back to within a kick before a poor turnover allowed WCE a cheap goal against the run of play on 3QT to take in a 12 point lead; 8-9-57 to 6-9-45.

WCE got another early in the last to take a 3 goal lead. We were winning every clearance, but couldn't co-ordinate attacks through the swirly breeze or the stacked backline.

We threw Matthew Croft forward in the last half and he did clunk a few contested marks but kicked 3 out on the full at crucial times, roosting the ball high and failing to read the swirly breeze.

It was a heartbreaking quarter, with so many shots sailing the wrong side of the post.

Ultimately, we came up 5 points short; 9-11-65 to 8-12-60.

In many ways, an archetypal Dogs finals performance. Our intent couldn't be questioned, but sloppy finishing, poor attention to detail and some bad luck saw us fall short of the mark.

The stats are hard to read. Especially the clearances where we were dominant (57-28!!), but we also had 57 more possessions (345-288), 35 more contested (155-120), 10 more marks (66-56) and 17 more inside 50s (66-49).

On those numbers, a team just shouldn't lose, but a lot of credit must go to a canny Malthouse who came up with an appropriate game plan to absorb our pressure and pinch hit enough goals to sneak the game. For such a generally shrewd tactical coach, it must be said that Plough had his 2nd finals shocker in a row - just not adapting to the scenario as required.

Our forward star for the night and sole multiple goalscorer was Steve Kolyniuk, 4, who made the most of a night of difficult opportunities. Whenever we looked almost gone, he conjured something. It was an outstanding display of small forward footy smarts and skill.

Our best players on the night were Luke Darcy (24 possessions - 16 contested, 8 marks, 18 hit outs and 10 clearances), Kolynuik, Brad Johnson (27 touches - 16 contested, 7 inside 50s), Chris Grant (20 touches - 13 contested, and 7 marks in a difficult night for key forwards) and Tony Liberatore (24 touches, 6 tackles).

bornadog
17-02-2016, 03:39 PM
What I remember about this final was the wind and heat and all the out on the fulls.

But, I will never forget the blatant cheating by WCE and the umpires not picking it up, ie creeping over the mark by at least 5 to 10m when the umpire turned around for a second and forcing our shots at goal from outside 50m. With minutes to go and 5 points down Koly marked the ball inside 50, the WCE player stood outside the 50 and the umpire didn't pull him back. Koly couldn't make the distance. We really should have insisted with the umpire to check the marks.

Another final we threw away, similar to last year.

Torpedo
17-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Way too many kicks out of bounds on a swirling windy night. Players didn't seem to know how to cope with these conditions at all. They continually finessed around the boundary line trying to execute pin point passes only for the ball to go out of bounds on the full. It was so frustrating that they persisted with this throughout the game. Not so sure it was WCE pressure so much as not being able to adapt their game to the conditions. Should have won by a couple of goals given our dominance in the midfield and the number of inside 50s we had. Umpiring as Bornadog says was pretty ordinary, then again its up to the captain to have a few words with the umpires about gamesmanship.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Way too many kicks out of bounds on a swirling windy night. Players didn't seem to know how to cope with these conditions at all. They continually finessed around the boundary line trying to execute pin point passes only for the ball to go out of bounds on the full. It was so frustrating that they persisted with this throughout the game. Not so sure it was WCE pressure so much as not being able to adapt their game to the conditions. Should have won by a couple of goals given our dominance in the midfield and the number of inside 50s we had. Umpiring as Bornadog says was pretty ordinary, then again its up to the captain to have a few words with the umpires about gamesmanship.

Teddy would have. ;)

Sedat
17-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Hated that final, absolutely hated it. We were a super team in 1999 - better W/L than both 1997 and 1998 - and we positioned ourselves beautifully in the top 4 against a poor opponent. But as we are prone to do, we choked like a deer in the headlights when faced with the pressure of being a favourite in finals. We should have been in 1999 up to our eyeballs but this shocking loss consigned us to a trip to Brisbane the following week. Norf were ordinary in 1999 but got up to win the flag against an even more ordinary opponent in Carlton - could easily have been us if we turned up in week 1 if the finals (like we never do) :(

1999 was the forgotten wasted season.

Axe Man
17-02-2016, 06:05 PM
What a ridiculous finals system it was back then. Carlton finished sixth with 12 wins and get thrashed in the first week of finals, which somehow earns them a home semi final against West Coast who finished fifth! They take care of the Eagles and then win a thriller of a prelim against Essendon and somehow find themselves in a grand final!

merantau
17-02-2016, 11:30 PM
If I remember correctly Malthouse had announced his move to Collingwood shortly before this game so it added some significance to the encounter from their point of view I guess. But it sure was a bitter pill to swallow that defeat. I did not realise the stats were so much in our favour. I remember that year we were renowned for our field kicking. The howling wind wiped out that advantage and brought us back to the field. Was it Steve Kolyniuk's last game for us or did the game scramble my brain?

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 11:45 PM
What a ridiculous finals system it was back then. Carlton finished sixth with 12 wins and get thrashed in the first week of finals, which somehow earns them a home semi final against West Coast who finished fifth! They take care of the Eagles and then win a thriller of a prelim against Essendon and somehow find themselves in a grand final!
It was a crazy system that kind of worked fairly if there were no upsets, but a lower ranked team winning threw everything into chaos. It was kind of fun in that you became much more invested in the other games, like when we won in '97 and barracked like crazy for Geelong to lose later in the weekend so that we progressed directly to the Prelim, but overall it was pretty bad.

If I remember correctly Malthouse had announced his move to Collingwood shortly before this game so it added some significance to the encounter from their point of view I guess. But it sure was a bitter pill to swallow that defeat. I did not realise the stats were so much in our favour. I remember that year we were renowned for our field kicking. The howling wind wiped out that advantage and brought us back to the field. Was it Steve Kolyniuk's last game for us or did the game scramble my brain?
Koly was definitely a veteran by then, but played one more season in 2000.

craigsahibee
18-02-2016, 12:10 PM
What a frustrating night that was.

I recall Danny Southern having a shot from the boundary about 40m out and kicking it out on the full about 10m from the behind post. The swirling wind messed with our kicks and our heads.

Axe Man
18-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Was it Steve Kolyniuk's last game for us or did the game scramble my brain?

Koly was definitely a veteran by then, but played one more season in 2000.

He played a fairly memorable game against Essendon in round 21, 2000. ;)

LostDoggy
18-02-2016, 12:28 PM
I remember watching that game in a bar at the Gabba, as I was living in Brisbane at the time (about 1 km from the ground) and it was the only place I knew of that showed the game live (pre-Fox Footy and streamable internet days - almost unimaginable today).

There were about 50 people there, about 10 of which were Dogs fans, a few Eagles and mostly Lions fans interested to see who they'd possibly meet the following week. I must have been asked 100 times 'how are you guys not winning this?'.

Massively depressing night. I remember feeling that night that group had blown their chances and that a flag was as far away as ever - sadly proved to be true.

Sedat
18-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Nicky Winmar getting injured in the first minute of that final didn't help us structurally - he had a fine season with us and would have caused havoc up forward for the West Coke defenders on such a swirly night. Poor excuse though - we should never have allowed such a poor team to even get close to us, but we are extremely good at finding new and interesting ways to lose finals. Malthouse had already resigned and the players didn't even give a stuff about him and yet we still managed to lose - yeah I know umpiring was rubbish, it was windy, yada yada, but that was probably the worst of our many poor finals losses considering our talent level compared to the opposition on the night.

LostDoggy
18-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Good point about Winmar, Sedat. Loved having him in the team. People forget how good he was for us that year - 21 games and 34 goals. He loved a big stage and probably would've been good for a couple which may've been the difference.

As you say, though, no excuses - we had all the chances we could've wanted.

Same old story, coulda, shoulda, didn't.

Twodogs
18-02-2016, 03:16 PM
1999 was our biggest chance. We were completely set up, everything clunked into place as the season wore on, we'd bought Winmar in for pretty much that one shot and for once us taking a stupid chance on a player was paying off.

I can remember watching him limp off the ground with all the early indicaters not looking good and the old man sitting next to me saying "hello Footscray, I knew you'd be back"

Mantis
18-02-2016, 04:20 PM
It was a horrid night, but our inability to execute was both frustrating and infuriating.

Am I correct in saying that Dimma kicked 7 out on the full during the game? He seriously lacked penetration with his kicking and it showed up in difficult conditions.

As with others the premiership race (like 97-98) was wide open and we faulted yet again.

LostDoggy
18-02-2016, 04:39 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #32 (10-21)

The disaster of the WCE loss was fully realised when the other games played out and we were scheduled to meet Brisbane at the Gabba for the 2nd week of the finals.

Lions really were the hot new kids in 1999, their first Matthews year. After a slow start, they finished 3rd but with clearly the best percentage (144.9%) and a withering closing burst, winning their last 7 matches by 31, 39, 100, 52, 39, 114 and 55.

First week of the finals they smashed eventual grand finalists Carlton by 73 and were utterly rampant.

On the other hand, we'd been up for a few years, taken a few hits and were looking a bit heavy on our feet. By now our average age was 26.4 and our games played were 2731 - we were aging and running out of time. Our 2 youngest players against Brisbane (Johnson and Powell) were both 23.

I don't want to wallow in this mach. Brisbane hit us hard early, we tried hard but had to work harder for our goals and were simply outclassed by a younger, more energetic team that had all the momentum.

In a free flowing first quarter, Brisbane nailed their chances to lead 7-1-43 to 3-2-20. We tried our guts out in the 2nd, but again Brisbane took every little opportunity given to them, leading at half time 11-2-68 to 4-4-28.

Last half was a cruise, with Brisbane narrowly winning both quarters to ultimately win 19-12-126 to 10-13-73.

Looking back, we were still very competitive in tight and actually won more possessions (306-282) and more clearances (41-38), but Brisbane were the team with the faith in their systems and the potent forwards.

Multiple goalscorers were Chris Grant, 4, and Paul Hudson, 2.

On a tough night, Grant was exceptional, even by his standards, playing CHF in a team getting belted, he won more contested possessions (11) than anyone on the ground, in his 16 possession, 7 mark (5 contested), 4 goal 2 effort, others to hold their heads up included Luke Darcy (20 possessions, 9 marks, 14 hitouts, 1 goal 2), Tony Liberatore (24 possessions, 7 tackles, 7 clearances) and Scott West (27 possessions, 7 inside 50s).

chef
18-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Was this the game that Lynch did the 'choke' at one of our players?

LostDoggy
18-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Was this the game that Lynch did the 'choke' at one of our players?

We met Brisbane in a final again in 2000. My memory is that he did that to Scott West in the 2000 final, but I might be wrong.

chef
18-02-2016, 05:32 PM
We met Brisbane in a final again in 2000. My memory is that he did that to Scott West in the 2000 final, but I might be wrong.

Yep, your probably right. Loving the thread, apart from the consistant heart break.

bornadog
18-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah 1999 and 2000 at the Gabba, I have erased from my memory. They were pretty bad finals for us and I felt never a chance.

Twodogs
18-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Yep, your probably right. Loving the thread, apart from the consistant heart break.

Still. Lovely to hark back.

merantau
18-02-2016, 07:24 PM
The planets are beginning to line up for us. Finals loses will fade from our collective memory; replaced by memories of finals wins.

LostDoggy
19-02-2016, 10:08 PM
I think he gave us "the choke" in the 1999 final.

Does anyone remember Mick Malthouse breaking his hand in the QF when we kicked a goal in the final minute to reduce the margin from 11 points to 5? He smashed his hand on the table in the coach's box. Pretty funny.

Twodogs
19-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I think he gave us "the choke" in the 1999 final.

Does anyone remember Mick Malthouse breaking his hand in the QF when we kicked a goal in the final minute to reduce the margin from 11 points to 5? He smashed his hand on the table in the coach's box. Pretty funny.

He did too. I remember his assistant trying to shake his hand on the siren but giving up pretty quickly. A

LostDoggy
20-02-2016, 12:22 AM
VFL/AFL FINAL #33 (10-22)

There was an air of desperation about the 2000 season. It started in the off season when we shipped out a number of quality players, including Leon Cameron, Stephen Powell and Brett Montgomery, the latter 2 in a deal centred around recruiting Nathan Eagleton, who Terry Wallace was convinced was the missing link for us being a serious flag contender.

All season we struggled to string wins together, often winning then losing and drifting around the fringe of the 8.

Hopes rose when we pulled off 2 of our all time great H&A wins of all time late in the season. All year the 2 dominant teams were (particularly) Essendon and Carlton. In R19 we travelled to Princes Park and held out Carlton by 3 points in a brutal encounter, 2 weeks later we also beat a then undefeated Essendon at Docklands after a late rally that no Dogs fan old enough to have seen the match will ever forget.

This win got us to 6th, locking in a home final and some hope of a challenge in September. However we unforgivably dropped our R22 game against Hawthorn. The other results that weekend fell against us and we fell to 7th, consigned to again travel to the Gabba and face the Lions in an Elimination Final on a Saturday Night in front of 25,925.

We went into the match as pronounced underdogs, but did throw ourselves wholeheartedly into the first quarter and trailled narrowly 3-6-24 to 3-3-21 at quarter time.

All match, our competitive efforts were much better than 1999, however Brisbane held all the answers and pulled further away at each break, although we did fight the game right out. Half time: 7-10-52 to 5-7-37. 3QT: 11-15-81 to 7-13-55. Full Time: 15-20-110 to 10-16-76.

I was at this game and remember thinking how tired and spent the team seemed at the end of the game. It very much felt that we had fired our best shots and come up short.

This team was now 26.4 years old on average and had played 2794 games, with only Nathan Brown (22) and Nathan Eagleton (21) under 23, whilst we now had 4 players from this game in their 30s; Wynd, Liberatore, Kolynuik and Hudson and 6 others in the 27-29 range (Romero, Grant, Smith, Curley, Croft, Kretiuk).

Multiple goalkickers were Chris Grant, 3, and Simon Cox, 2.

Better players were Scott West (26 touches, 18 contested, 6 clearances), Nathan Brown (27 touches, 7 rebounds), Rohan Smith (21 touches, 12 marks, 6 inside 50s) and Brad Johnson (19 touches, 11 contested).

LostDoggy
22-02-2016, 11:20 AM
VFL/AFL FINAL #34 (10-23)

The early 2000s were a tough period for the Dogs. We still had a decent team in 2001 and 2002 and flirted with the edges of the 8 both years before ultimately falling short both years (winning 10 then 9.5 games).

Terry Wallace sensationally resigned with 1 game to play in 2002. Replacement coach Peter Rohde proved something of a disaster, although we were going through list regeneration we were nowhere near as bad as results under his tenure indicated - a 3.5 win 2003 led to our 4th ever wooden spoon and a 5 win 2004 led to a marginal improvement to 14th of 16.

In 2005, Rodney Eade became coach and improved results were immediate, with an 11-11 year seeing us miss finals by half a game after a heartbreaking narrow loss to Melbourne after leading all night in R21.

By 2006 expectations were up again and fuelled by a R1 115 point demolition of Terry Wallace led Richmond in R1 and a 4 game winning run that saw us sitting top of the table after R4. We spent all year in the 8 and were in the top 4 as late as R15, but with a lot of younger players, our form was patchy towards the end of the season and we finished 8th, with a 13-9 (106.4%) record.

This meant we played 5th placed Collingwood in an Elimination Final at the MCG in front of 84,284.

Collingwood had only missed 4th by percentage that year and went in warm favourites.

Although both teams had exciting young players, the lists were quite experienced, us at 25.7 (2701 games) and Collingwood at 25.5 (2651 games). Although we had turned over a number of players since 2000, many remained from the Wallace finals years; Grant, Smith and Montgomery (returned), 33, West, 31, Johnson, 30 and Eagleton, 27.

Our younger group at the time were Minson and Wight, 21, and high draft picks Cooney, Ray and Griffen, 20.

The opening quarter of the final was an attractive, free flowing contest, with Collingwood moving the ball forward more freely, but wasting chances while our efficiency kept as un touch; trailling by 10 points at quarter time; 5-6-36 to 4-2-26.

In the 2nd we started to get on top through the middle, with Scott West winning multiple clearances. Our better efficiency seeing us reverse positions and lead by 10 at half time; 8-7-55 to 6-9-45.

The 3rd quarter was one of the more joyful quarters of Bulldogs history as we got on top of the Pies (long time finals tormentors) and established a dominant lead; 14-10-94 to 6-13-49.

The last quarter was something of an anti-climax, with Collingwood salvaging late goals; final scores 18-13-121 to 11-14-80.

This was a great day for the club. The script usually read that we would be overwhelmed by a Collingwood in this type of a final, but history is made to be broken, as this game showed.

Multiple goalkickers were Brett Montgomery, 4, Matthew Robbins and Adam Cooney, 3, Lindsay Gilbee and Farren Ray, 2.

Best players were Scott West (36 possessions, 15 contested, 7 clearances, 5 tackles), Daniel Cross (32 possessions, 14 contested, 7 marks), Matthew Boyd (29 possessions, 14 contested, 7 clearances), Brian Lake (19 possessions, 10 marks) and Farren Ray (27 possessions, 8 inside 50s, 4 tackles (!), 7 running bounces).

Sedat
22-02-2016, 12:02 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #34 (10-23)

The early 2000s were a tough period for the Dogs. We still had a decent team in 2001 and 2002 and flirted with the edges of the 8 both years before ultimately falling short both years (winning 10 then 9.5 games).

Terry Wallace sensationally resigned with 1 game to play in 2002. Replacement coach Peter Rohde proved something of a disaster, although we were going through list regeneration we were nowhere near as bad as results under his tenure indicated - a 3.5 win 2003 led to our 4th ever wooden spoon and a 5 win 2004 led to a marginal improvement to 14th of 16.

In 2005, Rodney Eade became coach and improved results were immediate, with an 11-11 year seeing us miss finals by half a game after a heartbreaking narrow loss to Melbourne after leading all night in R21.

By 2006 expectations were up again and fuelled by a R1 115 point demolition of Terry Wallace led Richmond in R1 and a 4 game winning run that saw us sitting top of the table after R4. We spent all year in the 8 and were in the top 4 as late as R15, but with a lot of younger players, our form was patchy towards the end of the season and we finished 8th, with a 13-9 (106.4%) record.

This meant we played 5th placed Collingwood in an Elimination Final at the MCG in front of 84,284.

Collingwood had only missed 4th by percentage that year and went in warm favourites.

Although both teams had exciting young players, the lists were quite experienced, us at 25.7 (2701 games) and Collingwood at 25.5 (2651 games). Although we had turned over a number of players since 2000, many remained from the Wallace finals years; Grant, Smith and Montgomery (returned), 33, West, 31, Johnson, 30 and Eagleton, 27.

Our younger group at the time were Minson and Wight, 21, and high draft picks Cooney, Ray and Griffen, 20.

The opening quarter of the final was an attractive, free flowing contest, with Collingwood moving the ball forward more freely, but wasting chances while our efficiency kept as un touch; trailling by 10 points at quarter time; 5-6-36 to 4-2-26.

In the 2nd we started to get on top through the middle, with Scott West winning multiple clearances. Our better efficiency seeing us reverse positions and lead by 10 at half time; 8-7-55 to 6-9-45.

The 3rd quarter was one of the more joyful quarters of Bulldogs history as we got on top of the Pies (long time finals tormentors) and established a dominant lead; 14-10-94 to 6-13-49.

The last quarter was something of an anti-climax, with Collingwood salvaging late goals; final scores 18-13-121 to 11-14-80.

This was a great day for the club. The script usually read that we would be overwhelmed by a Collingwood in this type of a final, but history is made to be broken, as this game showed.

Multiple goalkickers were Brett Montgomery, 4, Matthew Robbins and Adam Cooney, 3, Lindsay Gilbee and Farren Ray, 2.

Best players were Scott West (36 possessions, 15 contested, 7 clearances, 5 tackles), Daniel Cross (32 possessions, 14 contested, 7 marks), Matthew Boyd (29 possessions, 14 contested, 7 clearances), Brian Lake (19 possessions, 10 marks) and Farren Ray (27 possessions, 8 inside 50s, 4 tackles (!), 7 running bounces).
Now we're talking! This remains the best day of my Bulldog supporting life. For once, we performed in the first week of September, in a cut-throat final and under the intense spotlight of a huge MCG crowd and TV ratings. I loved that day so much.

I don't think we were every going to truly challenge in 2006, but we did carry 4 knee recos throughout the year - Bob and Hahn in particular would have been more than handy in September.

Twodogs
22-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Don't forget Monty's unbelievable guts and determination in peeling himself off the ground and staggering to the forward line after that cowardly sniper Brodie Holland ran through him at the first bounce. Staying on he ground and kicking a goal after that was one of the most inspirational acts I have seen from a bulldog player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr81dc4o5yI

I always feel a bit sick when I see Monty's arms go up and then he just falls back with his arms above his head. It doesn't look good.

Mofra
22-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Now we're talking! This remains the best day of my Bulldog supporting life. For once, we performed in the first week of September, in a cut-throat final and under the intense spotlight of a huge MCG crowd and TV ratings. I loved that day so much.

I don't think we were every going to truly challenge in 2006, but we did carry 4 knee recos throughout the year - Bob and Hahn in particular would have been more than handy in September.
It was particularly pleasing that it came after Bubba announced his retirement and if we lost he would have been stranded on 299 games.
I still remember the "Bubba" chant in the final quarter and his reaction to it.

bornadog
22-02-2016, 12:52 PM
What a day, pure joy. The most surprising was the huge sea of RWB in the biggest crowd since the 1961 GF

Murphy'sLore
22-02-2016, 01:17 PM
My first final! I was watching from the Sofitel where I was enjoying a special birthday. A happy day :)

Twodogs
22-02-2016, 01:29 PM
It was particularly pleasing that it came after Bubba announced his retirement and if we lost he would have been stranded on 299 games.
I still remember the "Bubba" chant in the final quarter and his reaction to it.

One of my favourite pieces of play of all time. The last quarter and Monty is streaming into the forward line and was halfway through a shot for goal from about 30 out when he realized that it was Bubba running alongside him. Monty somehow disentangles him self from having his shot and manages to handball to Rohan and shepherd all at the same time while Bubba kicks the goal. Its one of the more joyous goal celebrations you will see.

Bulldog4life
22-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Yes the best final for me too. To see all those forlorn looking Collingwood supporters leaving early was a joy to watch. Um the game wasn't too bad either.

LostDoggy
22-02-2016, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-YtENsPpk

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-YtENsPpk)
One of my favourite pieces of play of all time. The last quarter and Monty is streaming into the forward line and was halfway through a shot for goal from about 30 out when he realized that it was Bubba running alongside him. Monty somehow disentangles him self from having his shot and manages to handball to Rohan and shepherd all at the same time while Bubba kicks the goal. Its one of the more joyous goal celebrations you will see.

Was a great moment TD but it was Matty Robbins who dished off. See 1.45.00 of above. It's funny how memories are slightly out, so many old matches turn out to be just slightly different to how I remember them.

Twodogs
22-02-2016, 06:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-YtENsPpk

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-YtENsPpk)

Was a great moment TD but it was Matty Robbins who dished off. See 1.45.00 of above. It's funny how memories are slightly out, so many old matches turn out to be just slightly different to how I remember them.

You're right too. I even watched the clip before I posted! In my defence I was watching and talking about it while watching with somebody else so I wasn't listening to the commentary

LostDoggy
22-02-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised Grant wasn't including in the best players. It was his last great game for the club.

merantau
22-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Don't forget Monty's unbelievable guts and determination in peeling himself off the ground and staggering to the forward line after that cowardly sniper Brodie Holland ran through him at the first bounce. Staying on he ground and kicking a goal after that was one of the most inspirational acts I have seen from a bulldog player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr81dc4o5yI

I always feel a bit sick when I see Monty's arms go up and then he just falls back with his arms above his head. It doesn't look good.

Monty's performance that day was nothing short of heroic. Tough blokes keep getting up and by so doing team mates walk taller.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-02-2016, 08:31 PM
What a day, pure joy. The most surprising was the huge sea of RWB in the biggest crowd since the 1961 GF
Crowd was 84,000. I think even the MCC members were with us that day

Twodogs
22-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Monty's performance that day was nothing short of heroic. Tough blokes keep getting up and by so doing team mates walk taller.

Despite playing on a premiership at another club I think monty has proven himself amongst the bulldog Hall of Fame for a couple of things despite his long service which should qualify him alone. Taking that hit and getting up and playing on and sticking with the club last year after being overlooked for the coaching job.

LostDoggy
22-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Despite playing on a premiership at another club I think monty has proven himself amongst the bulldog Hall of Fame for a couple of things despite his long service which should qualify him alone. Taking that hit and getting up and playing on and sticking with the club last year after being overlooked for the coaching job.
Couldn't agree more. Also was traded out against his will yet came back to play a 2nd time and gave his all.

A man with character.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Yes the best final for me too. To see all those forlorn looking Collingwood supporters leaving early was a joy to watch. Um the game wasn't too bad either.

What a great day at the footy with my dad and bro.;)
Didn't know it at the time but my brother had organised the tickets and as we walked in to take our seats it soon dawned on us that we were in sitting in the middle of a cespit of filth supporters.
Well talk about a gobby bunch of ferals in the first qtr as they were all over us.
Ferals talking about 60 to 100 point thrashing.
Ho hum 3 qtr time comes and are the three of us giving it to these pillars of society.

"Hey you blokes are right it could be 60pts in the end!"

"It's only 3/4 time where are you all going? There's another glorious qtr to go."

"Your all not going yet are you? Didn't you pay good coin to bsit here and watch this?"

Ahh,like others have said was one if not the best day of finals footy attendance in my life.
To be also able to share it with my dad and bro just topped the day and experience off magnificently ;)

Sedat
23-02-2016, 10:10 PM
We were sitting right on the wing in the AFL Members area of the Southern Stand. Halfway through the last qtr, a frustrated Chris Tarrant drops a simple chest mark and it spills out of bounds right in front of us. Tarrant was still in his party animal mode at the time - cue my mate yelling out to him..."Don't worry Taz, at least you've got Mad Monday to look forward to!"

He wasn't as amused as we were :)

craigsahibee
24-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Never forget taking our seats before the game in the Southern Stand pocket at the Punt Rd end, when some feral in the front row of the first level directly above us started abusing everyone in red, white and blue and telling us all to get back to the west.

Fast forward to early in the last quarter. To his credit, he was still sitting there, although his head was slumped on his crossed forearms resting on the hand rail. Don't know why he was sitting like that because he could have stretched out on the half dozen vacant seats either side of him, as all of his black and white friends had seen enough and buggered off.

always right
24-02-2016, 05:23 PM
So many great memories that day but one that has always remained with me is the sight of the filth supporters literally streaming out of the stands midway through the last quarter. Never seen anything like it.

Twodogs
24-02-2016, 05:41 PM
We'd moved right down to the fence at three quarter time taking up seats vacated by Collingwood supporters. My favourite memory was about halfway through the last quarter when a huge section on the members stand side broke into Sons of the Scray. It sounded great from where we were sitting.

LostDoggy
24-02-2016, 06:46 PM
VFL/AFL FINAL #35 (11-23)

After the great Collingwood victory, things only got tougher with our Semi-Final opponent being minor premiers West Coast. The game was played at Subiaco on a Saturday Night in front of 43,219.

Remarkably, we had 3 players in our 80 year VFL/AFL make 300 games before this match, but 2 more played their 300th in the same game, Scott West and Rohan Smith (I am fairly sure this is the only team in the history of the competition - any side - that contained 3 300 gamers, Chris Grant being the other). We knew a loss would be Rohan Smith's last game, although unknown on the day, it was also Chris Grant's last game.

We came up against a powerhouse this day, primed to give their best. We were outclassed, plain and simple but battled our guts out in the first half before being overwhelmed.

Nothing much more to add. We were shown to be a team that had a few too many at the tail end of their careers (Johnson, Robbins, Montgomery and Eagleton where all also very well experienced), a few too many at less than 50 games (Griffen, Minson, Morris, Ray, Wight) and not quite enough quality in the middle to be a serious contender.

Scores were WCE 4-3-27 to 3-4-22 in the first, 8-7-55 to 4-6-30 at half time, 9-12-66 to 4-9-33 at 3 quarter time (to this point we had struggled and struggled to hang in there, but just couldn't find ways to score and apply pressure), before WCE ran away in the last; 16-17-113 to 5-9-39.

A depressing final's loss that showed we were further from the big boys than we'd hoped. We defended manfully for 3 quarters, but a possession deficit of 111 (420-309) final inside 50 tally of 65 to 28 is undeniable.

Our only multiple goalscorer was Brad Johnson, 3.

Best players were Scott West who fought a valiant midfield battle but was outnumbered (29 possessions, 5 tackles), Johnson (16 possessions, 5 marks, 3 goals 2 in a night of limited opportunity), Ryan Hargrave (17 possessions, 9 contested - our highest - and 7 rebounds) and Dale Morris (who resolutely defended everything, won 18 possessions, 7 contested and 4 tackles).

bornadog
24-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Totally outclassed and just couldn't get into the game. One goal after half time was very disappointing.

Sedat
25-02-2016, 11:09 AM
We dominated in the early part of the 3rd qtr from memory but fluffed a few gilt-edged chances to put some pressure on West Coke. They got their only goal for the qtr just before 3/4 time and it was shut the gate from there.

Axe Man
25-02-2016, 11:42 AM
We knew a loss would be Rohan Smith's last game, although unknown on the day, it was also Chris Grant's last game.

Thoroughly enjoying the write-ups Peanuts and they are incredible accurate, but have to pull you up on this one - Grant played on in 2007.

always right
25-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Absolutely certain I watched this final but for the life of me I can only remember Bubba and West being chaired off the ground. The actual game itself seems (fortuitously) to have been erased from my memory.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Thoroughly enjoying the write-ups Peanuts and they are incredible accurate, but have to pull you up on this one - Grant played on in 2007.

You are right. It's funny I thought I had a clear memory of Grant talking about how he knew it was time to retire after WCE beat us so easily in that final, so I wrote it without checking, but that is obviously wrong. There you go.

LostDoggy
28-02-2016, 11:57 AM
VFL/AFL FINAL #36 (11-24)

After the excitement of Eade's attacking gameplans and promise of our highly rated youngsters in 2006, the 2007 season was most peculiar. We played well in fits and starts over the first two thirds of the season, never quite getting on a roll strong enough to look a genuine contender, but we did well enough to defeat both eventual grand finalists and to be sitting 7th and poised, with a 9-6 record, after 15 rounds.

Then over the last 7 rounds we lost 6 and drew one. In a number of these losses we would build early leads, only to show zero resistance when challenged and be smashed late in games. Still haven't heard the full story of what went down in those 7 weeks, a very strange time.

So by 2008, we reverted to our usual underdog role. Over the 2007 and 2008 preseasons, we made some judicious trades. We had a strong backline (built around Lake-Gilbee-Hargrave-Harbrow) and midfield, and added experienced Akermanis, Welsh and Hudsin into our Ruck/Forward mix.

2008 was an extraordinary year, with 3 teams dominating the H&A season. After 8 rounds. all 3 were undefeated (Hawthorn, Geelong 8 wins, us 7 wins 1 draw) which had never before occurred in a VFL/AFL season. After 15 rounds it was Geel 14-1, WB 13-1-1, Haw 13-2.

As in 2007, however, our form did fall off badly in the last 7 weeks. Whilst Geelong powered to the finals (they finished 21-1, 161%), Hawthorn faltered slightly, finishing 17-5 (131%), and we faltered badly, winning just 2 of the last 7 to finish 15-6-1 (118%).

Our 2008 team was a team of extremes. It was, by a margin, the most productive scoring team in Bulldog history. Total points scored of 2506 (average 114 per game) was well above any other year, however our points against of 2112 (average 96) was way higher than any other team in the top 4 or any team that statistically goes on to win grand finals.

So after looking downright dominant at stages of the year, we entered the finals doubting, but still hopeful knowing our best was good enough (many of us drawing on our dismantling of a then undefeated Hawthorn in Tasmania in Round 10).

As the third placed team, we met 2nd placed Hawthorn to kick off the 2008 final series on a Friday night at the MCG in front of 76,703.

The game started with the usual finals frenetic energy, with bodies flying but no scores for the first 8 minutes. We started ok, and were leading at the 15 minute mark (13-9), as the play settled however it became apparent that Hawthorn were scoring too freely and by quarter time it was Hawthorn 4-5-29 to Bulldogs 2-1-13.

The 2nd quarter was even worse, with only 1 goal in the first 12 minutes, but once Hawthorn got on top it was an avalanche and the half time score read 10-12-72 to 4-4-28.

Again in the 3rd we looked ok early, scoring the first 2 goals, but got smashed in the back half of the quarter, by 3 quarter time it was 15-17-107 to 7-7-49.

The last was all junktime. Final scores; Hawthorn 18-19-127 to WB 11-10-76.

This game confirmed our worst fears, that our season had run out of steam and that the gap between us and the very top teams when it mattered was still significant.

The stats from the match are telling our 11 goals from 423 stats to Hawthorn's 18 from 347 say that we had to work way harder for our goals, with Hawthorn's directness and efficiency killing us.

Tom Williams inability to get his body right also hurt, with Lake the only genuine key defender and Franklin and Roughead having a field day on the end of Hawthorn's clean, incisive entries (between them they had 12 marks inside 50 and 11 goals).

Multiple goalkickers were Akermanis, 3, Cooney, Hill, Giansiracusa, 2.

Best were Daniel Cross, who again really rose to the top under the finals pressure, a mighty performance (39 possessions, 11 contested, 13 marks and 4 tackles), Daniel Giansiracusa (25 possessions, 11 marks, 3 inside 30s, 2 goals 2 on a difficult night for half forwards), Dale Morris (22 possessions, 5 tackles) and Adam Cooney (26 possessions, 4 clearances, 2 goals 2).

bulldogtragic
28-02-2016, 12:01 PM
This game was up there in the top 3 games of the worst days of footy I've ever been to. Horrible, just horrible.

I remember in the third quarter the only time for about 15 minutes we passed the centre was Buddy giving Lake 50m penalties.

Again, horrible.

Twodogs
28-02-2016, 03:20 PM
They toyed with us that night, their coaches were experimenting with set ups at times like it was a training run. God it was dire.

merantau
28-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes a huge disappointment. In 2008 I left Australia headed for India. By mid-year I was on an island called Lembata in esatern Indonesia. I was actually half way up a volcano called "Ili Api" - the mountain of fire - when I got an SMS from a mate informing me that the Dogs were 10 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw. I changed plans immediately. India could wait, I was heading home. Bad result. Was really disappointed.

Sedat
01-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Massively disappointing performance. We were like rabbits in the headlight all night, with panicky overuse of the ball that gifted the ball back to the Hawks who made us pay with interest all night.

I would disagree with Cross being listed as our best player on the night - he was one of the chief culprits in our overuse on the night. Hodge has half the number of possessions but absolutely dominated us in the quarterback role - he was BOG even with Buddy kicking a big bag.

Whilst we were clearly a notch below the two best teams in 2008, we didn't put our best foot forward at all in this match. And that was the most disappointing thing about it. I have no complaints at all about our effort and intensity in all of the PF losses from 2008-2010 but our QF losses in each of those seasons were damning to say the least.

LostDoggy
03-03-2016, 10:31 AM
VFL/AFL FINAL #37 (11-25)

Having lost to Hawthorn, we met Sydney in an Elimination Final at the MCG on a Saturday Night in front of 42,731.

Going into this match, it felt like the gap between the op 3-4 teams and the rest was significant and that we should win as long as we put our best foot forward. There was a feeling of anxiety as a straight sets exit would've badly undersold our efforts through the year.

The first quarter was a typical finals feeling out period, with both teams cracking in fiercely and scoring opportunities proving hard to gain. At quarter time, Sydney led 2-4-16 to 2-3-15.

It was more of the same in the 2nd, with Sydney leading by 1-2 goals for most of the quarter and doing well to prevent our free flowing passages to develop, however late goals to Rob Murphy and Scott Welsh changed the momentum and we took a narrow lead into half time; 6-5-41 to 5-7-37.

After half time, the game opened up and we started to assert ourselves. Aside from scoring more freely, we dried Sydney up, keeping them to 6 points for the quarter, 3 of which were rushed. By 3 quarter time, we had built a match winning ascendancy, leading 11-9-75 to 5-13-43.

The tension was removed in the last and we went on to record a solid, hard fought victory; 16-10-106 to 9-15-69.

Multiple goalscorers were Rob Murphy, 3, Scott Welsh, Josh Hill and Nathan Eagleton, 2.

Best were Matthew Boyd (33 disposals, 10 contested, 6 tackles, 4 clearances), Rob Murphy (16 disposals, 11 marks, 3 contested marks, 7 inside 50s and 3 goals 2), Lindsay Gilbee (28 disposals, 9 marks), Ryan Griffen (20 disposals, 11 contested, 6 inside 50s, 5 tackles) and Dale Morris (15 possessions, 7 contested, 8 marks).

Sedat
03-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Good win considering the week before and the fact that Sydney tried to destroy the contest with their horrible Roos-patented '1 million stoppages a game' style. We hung in and found a way through the opposition's negative game plan.

The Bald Eagle was certainly good at icing games in junk time - his 2 monster goals on the run in the last qtr were a sight to behold. Will he repeat the dose the following week in the PF? :(