PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs best 5 H&A wins in recent decades

LostDoggy
06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/high-five-series-footscraywestern-bulldogs-best-wins-since-1970-20160104-glz9nk.html

Terrific to see a mainstream media article focussing on some former Bulldog glories.

Twodogs
06-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I find it hard to argue with any of those.

From a purely bulldog POV when we kicked the record score in 1978 was more enjoyable as a spectacle. The only other wins I can think of were a couple more H&A wins against Adelaide. The one where Johnno kicked the last couple of goals in his 300th or 350th to get us over the line and another when Cooney kicked the last goal (roved a boundary throw in) to win the game for us and propel us into eigth spot. Must have been 2006. But the journo has done a decent job in picking the winners.

LostDoggy
06-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections. The Carlton R2 1983 a terrific choice that most would overlook (or be too young to know).

Twodogs
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections. The Carlton R2 1983 a terrific choice that most would overlook (or be too young to know).

A very very good choice. In fact there was a four week period in early 1983 that set us up as a modern day club. A loss against Geelong started the season but then we went on a bit of a spree where we beat Carlton (Runners up) Hawthorn (premiers) Melbourne (they had added Moore and Templeton and Barrassi as coach the summer before and were expected to shoot up the ladder) and (I think) Fitzroy one after the other. The Hawthorn win was the best of them all, because it was at their home ground, they had a really strong team on the park and just kept coming at us until Groenawagon kicked a goal (ON the run from the boundary line) to get us over the line.

LostDoggy
06-01-2016, 01:50 PM
I remember that run very fondly also TD. The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.

They were heady days after being so crap for a few years, although a R6 Windy Hill mauling was a bit of a reality check.

jeemak
06-01-2016, 02:02 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/high-five-series-footscraywestern-bulldogs-best-wins-since-1970-20160104-glz9nk.html

Terrific to see a mainstream media article focussing on some former Bulldog glories.

The Age has been running through all of the clubs these past few weeks, it's about time we got a turn!!

Happy Days
06-01-2016, 02:30 PM
That game at the G where we beat West Coast, or the Matty Robbins hanger game would be in my picks, but it's hard to argue with the games picked without the necessary receptive context.

What's depressing as is I have cited some of these games as among our best wins *ever*, let alone H&A exclusive.

Twodogs
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
I remember that run very fondly also TD. The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.

They were heady days after being so crap for a few years, although a R6 Windy Hill mauling was a bit of a reality check.

It was Richmond, of course! What a game. The original ANZAC day game at the 'G in front of 6o+. I can't believe it didn't occur to somebody at the club to say "we should ask for ANZAC day again next year." Oh well.

We beat Fitzroy after a bad run of losses (starting with the RC v Essendon-I remember that, Jimmy Sewell swore during an interview on The Winners after the game.) to reignite our final five hopes.

Mofra
06-01-2016, 05:36 PM
That game at the G where we beat West Coast, or the Matty Robbins hanger game would be in my picks, but it's hard to argue with the games picked without the necessary receptive context.
The Matty Robbins hangar game - was that the game Cooney was subjected to a huge Eade spray at 3/4 time then responded by being absolutely unstoppable and gifting us 5-6 goals in quick succession?

I remember Will continually tapping to Cooney who played possibly the most devastating 10-12 minutes of football I've ever seen. Brisbane opponents.

Happy Days
06-01-2016, 05:43 PM
The Matty Robbins hangar game - was that the game Cooney was subjected to a huge Eade spray at 3/4 time then responded by being absolutely unstoppable and gifting us 5-6 goals in quick succession?

I remember Will continually tapping to Cooney who played possibly the most devastating 10-12 minutes of football I've ever seen. Brisbane opponents.

That's the one! We were 5 goals up, then down, then even, then up again.

The Robbins mark is still the best one I've seen a Bulldog take.

Bulldog4life
06-01-2016, 07:17 PM
That's the one! We were 5 goals up, then down, then even, then up again.

The Robbins mark is still the best one I've seen a Bulldog take.

Agree a great mark. As a youngster I was lucky enough to see Merv Hobbs...a rover... take a spectactular mark over a Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. It was sensational and I can still remember it vividly.The best I've seen.

chef
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Good list. I would have last seasons game verse Sydney in my top 5 now.

The Doctor
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
The Sydney game at the SCG last season has to be close. It would be in my top 5

Twodogs
06-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Agree a great mark. As a youngster I was lucky enough to see Merv Hobbs...a rover... take a spectactular mark over a Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. It was sensational and I can still remember it vividly.The best I've seen.

Merv even called his printing business Hi-Mark printing. A bloke on his way to photograph a wedding who decided to stop and test out some new equipment he had gotten took the photo.

Drunken Bum
06-01-2016, 09:31 PM
The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.
My first live game, down from Deniliquin will never forget it :D

Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections.
Another 2 of my faves and got to see them both live too with my mad collingwood supporter mother :)

Sedat
07-01-2016, 12:07 PM
There were a few massive come-from-behind wins that we had under Plough from 1999-2001 that were all noteworthy:

* 1999 v Geelong at the Cattery - Cooky and Huddo went nuts in the last 5 minutes and we got home after being 4 goals down approaching time-on in the last qtr
* 2000 v Norf at Etihad - we came back from 42 points down early in the 3rd to get home by less than a kick. Crofty beat Carey in a crucial one-on-one at the death
* 2001 v Geelong at the Cattery - they smashed us in the first half, leading by 8 goals halfway through the 2nd qtr. Enter Scott west, who single-handedly dragged us over the line in the 2nd half

Another favourite of mine was against Norf at a muddy and sodden MCG in 1988. They were 27 points up against us early in the last qtr and absolutely cruising. We then flicked the switch and kicked the last 9 goals of the game to win by 27 points in the end. Adrian Campbell and Beaser both kicked bags that day - Choco had a blinder in the last

Twodogs
07-01-2016, 02:59 PM
There were a few massive come-from-behind wins that we had under Plough from 1999-2001 that were all noteworthy:

* 1999 v Geelong at the Cattery - Cooky and Huddo went nuts in the last 5 minutes and we got home after being 4 goals down approaching time-on in the last qtr
* 2000 v Norf at Etihad - we came back from 42 points down early in the 3rd to get home by less than a kick. Crofty beat Carey in a crucial one-on-one at the death
* 2001 v Geelong at the Cattery - they smashed us in the first half, leading by 8 goals halfway through the 2nd qtr. Enter Scott west, who single-handedly dragged us over the line in the 2nd half

Another favourite of mine was against Norf at a muddy and sodden MCG in 1988. They were 27 points up against us early in the last qtr and absolutely cruising. We then flicked the switch and kicked the last 9 goals of the game to win by 27 points in the end. Adrian Campbell and Beaser both kicked bags that day - Choco had a blinder in the last

I don't remember the last one but that's no surprise. I was pretty much on another planet most of the late '80s. I'm suprised that I remember as much as I do really.

I vividly remember the other 3.

Twodogs
07-01-2016, 03:19 PM

That one especially. I was at home, I'd just become a dad for a second time and I couldn't yell so I took all my frustration out on making a batch of ANZAC biscuits. Nothing like smashing and melting a few things to vent the nasty side. Quietly.

Anyway as soon as I started to make the cookies the boys came good and started to haul North in. Being deeply superstitious I managed to stretch the process out right up until the final siren went. It's never taken me that to mix cookie dough.

bornadog
07-01-2016, 03:52 PM

The next day Crofty was in our office (the place I worked back then) and I had a great chat with him about that game.

Axe Man
07-01-2016, 04:10 PM
A couple of my favourite games that I attended and spring to mind are:

1995 Round 21 v Geelong at Kardinia Park. Down all day only to run over the top of the Cats in the final quarter. Our first win in Geelong for 10 years. Kym Koster best on in his 3rd last game for the club. Shame they flogged us in a final 2 weeks later.

2006 Round 1 v Richmond at Etihad. 115 point win against the Tigers in Judas' comeback game from a snapped leg. Glorious.

Twodogs
07-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Round one 1984. Malthouse's first game as coach. First round v Richmond at Western Oval. And we destroy them. Beasley takes marks and kicks goals for fun and we romp home. My memory wants me to think that the Pieman kicked 12 that day but I am pretty sure it was 9 because I have looked it up before. Memory remembers we won by 64 points but I am not so sure again. I can't be bothered checking.

Anyway great game. We destroyed them. It was a bit like puffing the last lights out on a bohemath because Richmond had been a huge club that had played in grand finals and won flags only a few years before. They had been in decline for a while though and crippled themselves financially by getting into a pointless recruiting war with Collingwood.

Axe Man
07-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Round one 1984. Malthouse's first game as coach. First round v Richmond at Western Oval. And we destroy them. Beasley takes marks and kicks goals for fun and we romp home. My memory wants me to think that the Pieman kicked 12 that day but I am pretty sure it was 9 because I have looked it up before. Memory remembers we won by 64 points but I am not so sure again. I can't be bothered checking.

Anyway great game. We destroyed them. It was a bit like puffing the last lights out on a bohemath because Richmond had been a huge club that had played in grand finals and won flags only a few years before. They had been in decline for a while though and crippled themselves financially by getting into a pointless recruiting war with Collingwood.

I'll help you out - 11 goals for the Pieman in a 39 point victory.

It's a shame the AFL seem to have set Carlton v Richmond in stone for round 1 every year. We are 8 from 11 v the tigers in round 1 games! Considering we have an overall winning percentage below 50% against them it's a great record.

Twodogs
07-01-2016, 09:39 PM
I'll help you out - 11 goals for the Pieman in a 39 point victory.

It's a shame the AFL seem to have set Carlton v Richmond in stone for round 1 every year. We are 8 from 11 v the tigers in round 1 games! Considering we have an overall winning percentage below 50% against them it's a great record.

It was the game Jon Riley played for us Withiut a clearance or a permit the in that period when the clearance rules were in flux over the Silvio Foschini case I think. Riley played one game of VFL and then, legend has it, hopped in the car the club had given him as a sign on fee and drove home to Adelaide.

jeemak
07-01-2016, 11:05 PM

These two wins at the Cattery alongside the one in which Koster dominated always lead me to feel we really let ourselves down when playing there in more recent times.

Great wins.

Prince Imperial
08-01-2016, 01:14 PM
A couple of 7 goal wins against that year's premiership teams also stand out for me as they really had me believing:

Round 5 1985 at WO vs Essendon (a jam packed 33K crowd); a sensational 7 goal to none third quarter. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1985/050719850427.html

Round 15 1999 at the MCG vs North Melbourne (44k crowd); 8 goals up at half time, Grant booted 6. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1999/071219990711.html

LostDoggy
08-01-2016, 01:25 PM
That North game is a great choice PI. Grant was truly brilliant that day. Up against the best and 9 inside 50s as well as 6 goals. From memory, Plough said postmatch that it was the best game he'd seen a CHF play.

Axe Man
08-01-2016, 02:15 PM
That North game is a great choice PI. Grant was truly brilliant that day. Up against the best and 9 inside 50s as well as 6 goals. From memory, Plough said postmatch that it was the best game he'd seen a CHF play.

Grant could only manage 2 votes from the umpires though with Brown collecting the 3!

LostDoggy
08-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Bloody umpires refuse to recognise key forwards. Almost as bad as him getting the 2 votes R22 1996.

jeemak
08-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Bloody umpires refuse to recognise key forwards. Almost as bad as him getting the 2 votes R22 1996.

Had we gotten over the line he'd have probably been given the three votes.

Twodogs
08-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Had we gotten over the line he'd have probably been given the three votes.

And gotten at least one of the Brownlows he deserved. I'm over Brownlows to our blokes (I want a flag) but the fact that turtle had one stolen and one go down to the line just annoys the hell out of me.

LostDoggy
08-01-2016, 11:13 PM
And gotten at least one of the Brownlows he deserved. I'm over Brownlows to our blokes (I want a flag) but the fact that turtle had one stolen and one go down to the line just annoys the hell out of me.

Pretty hard to cop, even now. When you think back to Year of The Dogs, it's pretty astonishing that someone playing CHB in that mess of a team could miss a Brownlow by a vote - instead it goes to Mr WhateverItTakes on the basis of one line ball game. Then the next year he's completely ripped off playing at CHF. We'll never see one like him again.

Twodogs
09-01-2016, 01:31 AM
He was an outstanding player. I remember,ber his first kick in league footy sailing over my head-I happened to be standing about a metre behind the goal umpire-for a goal from 45 metres out on the boundary. I was working at western oval as a ground attendant on match days.

Bulldog4life
09-01-2016, 02:14 PM
He was an outstanding player. I remember,ber his first kick in league footy sailing over my head-I happened to be standing about a metre behind the goal umpire-for a goal from 45 metres out on the boundary. I was working at western oval as a ground attendant on match days.

He was an absolute gun. I was lucky enough to see him in his first practice game at Skinner. I remember saying to my dad after the game how special he was there. He played full forward and his leads were spot on then. Kicked 3 or 4 goals but you just knew....

Twodogs
09-01-2016, 03:57 PM
He was an absolute gun. I was lucky enough to see him in his first practice game at Skinner. I remember saying to my dad after the game how special he was there. He played full forward and his leads were spot on then. Kicked 3 or 4 goals but you just knew....

He goes from being draft pick 115 or 105 or whatever it was to a 50 goal League full forward inside a year.

And then Leon Cameron the ball magnet who can hit a target at 50 metres off both feet debuts the week after.

Bang. Bang.

Twodogs
09-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Would have loved to have seen Chris play at full forward for a couple of his last years.

bornadog
10-01-2016, 12:43 AM
He goes from being draft pick 115 or 105 or whatever it was to a 50 goal League full forward inside a year.

And then Leon Cameron the ball magnet who can hit a target at 50 metres off both feet debuts the week after.

Bang. Bang.

Two 17 year olds. Loved watching both of them play that year.

Remi Moses
10-01-2016, 02:45 AM
I don't remember the last one but that's no surprise. I was pretty much on another planet most of the late '80s. I'm suprised that I remember as much as I do really.

I vividly remember the other 3.

We can vouch for that Twodogs ;)
Although in saying that, some of the things we did in the 80's.
You weren't alone

jeemak
10-01-2016, 02:51 AM
I think with Chris Grant, if we had have pinched a premiership in '97 (or if he played for Carlton or Collingwood) he'd be genuinely rated top five players of the era in which he played.

Unfortunately we now have to argue it out with people his relevance compared King of the Bogans, Mark Ricciuto, Nathan Buckley etc. etc.

Pavlich is the only player since Grant that has shown a genuine dominance in any key position he's had to play. My view is if Grant was played as CHB for his entire career he'd almost be rated the best CHB of all time, just a bit short behind the great Ted Whitten and miles ahead of Jakovich.

Twodogs
10-01-2016, 04:08 AM
I think with Chris Grant, if we had have pinched a premiership in '97 (or if he played for Carlton or Collingwood) he'd be genuinely rated top five players of the era in which he played.

Unfortunately we now have to argue it out with people his relevance compared King of the Bogans, Mark Ricciuto, Nathan Buckley etc. etc.

Pavlich is the only player since Grant that has shown a genuine dominance in any key position he's had to play. My view is if Grant was played as CHB for his entire career he'd almost be rated the best CHB of all time, just a bit short behind the great Ted Whitten and miles ahead of Jakovich.

Same with Kelvin Templeton. He won a Brownlow and two Colemans bir rarely gets listed as one of the best of his own time (I have argued with bulldog supporters about this) when in reality the greatest player of all time must have been playing bloody well if he played better than KT did before he did his knee.

jeemak
10-01-2016, 04:21 AM
I reckon KT would be considered a bit like Coleman is if he didn't play for us, and instead played for one of the big Melbourne clubs.

Coleman was out of the box good statistically, kicking 537 goals from full forward in six seasons. Templeton kicked 460 in his first six seasons between full forward and centre half forward. Fair undertaking.