PDA

View Full Version : Selwood vs Pendlebury

GVGjr
09-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I was listening to something on SEN a day or two ago and it was a debate about comparing the merits of Joel Selwood and Scott Pendlebury. Excellent players and good leaders so I doubt there is a clear winner.

While I don't think there is a wrong answer, knowing what you know now if both players were available on the draft table as 18yo and it you had the next selection which player would you pick and why?

boydogs
09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
It's like comparing Bont & Libba. One glides across the ground and has sublime skills, the other extracts the ball from where angels fear to tread. Close call

GVGjr
09-01-2016, 11:01 AM
It's like comparing Bont & Libba. One glides across the ground and has sublime skills, the other extracts the ball from where angels fear to tread. Close call

So which one do you think would suit us best?

Go_Dogs
09-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Tough one. I rate both players highly, but if I had to choose one I would go for Pendlebury.

Selwood is a better player in and under, and I perceive him to be a better on-field leader (may be completely wrong) in a carry his side on his shoulders style. Pendlebury does his best work in congestion too, but isn't as in and under as Selwood. The way he can make the game slow down, find the right option and use the ball so decisively under pressure is what sets him apart for me.

I'd happily take both and would perhaps prefer to be in the GF trenches with Selwood next to me.

Ghost Dog
09-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I like Pendulbury more as a person and leader. We have enough grunt in and under players, but you can never have enough quality ball users like him. At his height, he can go anywhere across the ground.

Twodogs
09-01-2016, 12:36 PM
As 18 year olds I might be seduced by the way Pendlebury floated on the grass and has sublime skills. Standout. But if I were any sort of a recruiter worth my money I couldn't fail to notice that kid who's younger than everyone else but is that tackles like a machine and puts his nose over the ball without thinking at every contest. And it's not like he doesn't get knocked around a lot-he gets so much of the ball. And doesn't he have brothers already playing...

Selwood for me.

BTW do you get to know that one is going to play in four premierships when you are choosing?;)

LostDoggy
09-01-2016, 01:41 PM
I can't help but think of guys like Mooney talking about how an 18yo Selwood walked into Geelong and immediately set new standards. He was a leader in his first year and a major key in 3 flags. With that knowledge, for any club he would be just about a #1 pick any year.

Against that, on-field he is pretty much a one dimensional inside mid. For where we are at right now, I'd reckon Pendlebury would just about offer more.

boydogs
09-01-2016, 04:52 PM
So which one do you think would suit us best?

Probably Pendlebury. Wallis improved so much last year that he & Libba have us covered for inside beasts. We could probably do with another Bont on the outside kicking inside 50 to advantage as that is still a weakness.

I would change my mind if Libba did his ACL again though

bulldogtragic
09-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Whomever has the higher trade currency to get Bonts or Stringer in future years.

LostDoggy
09-01-2016, 11:36 PM
I don't think there would be a neutral supporter with no bias towards either player who would tell you it's not close when comparing the two.

If I had to go out on a limb, I'd take Pendlebury.

Ozza
11-01-2016, 11:20 AM
I think Pendelbury in many ways is the better player....but I'd choose Selwood.

I feel like Selwood wills himself on a game, and on big moments - to help his side win games. That's not to say that Pendelbury doesn't do this - but Selwood is, for me, a bigger influence on his team to lift them in tight games.

Happy to have either!

Maddog37
11-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Flip a coin really but I worry about Selwood staying healthy long term with all the knocks he takes.