PDA

View Full Version : The Bont into the leadership group

ratsmac
24-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Is the Bont our next captain? http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-01-24/no-surprises-bob-top-dog

GVGjr
24-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Is the Bont our next captain? http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-01-24/no-surprises-bob-top-dog

I've mentioned on Twitter I'm surprised Wallis isn't in the group. Rougheads demotion is more around that he needs to establish himself as regular player again more than anything else.

The mens department holds 4 or the 5 positions.

Well done to Wood to be a VC of the club.

Dahlhaus might have been in the mix of the leadership group as well

LostDoggy
24-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Voted by the players. Great honour for Wood and Bont, richly deserved.

ratsmac
25-01-2016, 12:17 AM
I've mentioned on Twitter I'm surprised Wallis isn't in the group. Rougheads demotion is more around that he needs to establish himself as regular player again more than anything else.

The mens department holds 4 or the 5 positions.

Well done to Wood to be a VC of the club.

Dahlhaus might have been in the mix of the leadership group as well

So true. Wallis seems like a bit of a spiritual leader doesn't he? Yeah very surprising that he isn't in the leadership group.

Great to see Wood as vice. Hopefully it doesn't affect his form (in a negative way) with the added pressure he may place on himself to perform.

ledge
25-01-2016, 05:50 AM
I'm thinking maybe the idea is to give a lot of the players a role in the leadership group over the next few years just as a learning experience and then most players become leaders on the park.

Mofra
25-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Definitely surprised by the Wallis omission, happy with the Bont. Wood will make a solid captain if he is called upon

hujsh
25-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Both changes make perfect sense.

Opportunities for Wallis will open up sooner rather than later

Ghost Dog
25-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Well done Bont
Stringer - leads on field - stands up when counted ( V West Coast in Perth, prime example).
No idea why he is not in the leadership group.

Bulldog4life
25-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Well done Bont
Stringer - leads on field - stands up when counted ( V West Coast in Perth, prime example).

Can't fit everyone in GD. I expect Jake will get his turn in the future.

Webby
25-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Can't fit everyone in GD. I expect Jake will get his turn in the future.

My take is that Jake needs to keep a bit of the risk taker element about him. He needs to play loose and free. He's a brilliant player who needs to play on instinct.

The Bont and Wallis types are more about process and consistent performance. Jake's a Viv Richards or a Shane Warne, whereas Bont's more of a Richard Hadlee or Greg Chappell type.

lemmon
25-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Well done Bont

Love the guy but he can be lazy with his efforts too. We know his running capacity isn't great and he's a young guy but it doesn't set a terrific example compared to someone like Wallis

SlimPickens
25-01-2016, 03:16 PM
The fact there is debate about who has been left out, is a fantastic sign.

LostDoggy
25-01-2016, 03:42 PM
The fact there is debate about who has been left out, is a fantastic sign.

The fact that we picked specific players as well, instead of having 5 co-captains, is also a fantastic sign.

Go_Dogs
26-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Really like the direction, and that we are giving some exposure to new faces. Great indication for Wood and Bont that they are viewed highly as leaders by the playing group.

Ghost Dog
26-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Love the guy but he can be lazy with his efforts too. We know his running capacity isn't great and he's a young guy but it doesn't set a terrific example compared to someone like Wallis

Fair comment. Just to clarify do you mean his gut running? That highlight when he burned off a pack of North players in the midfield was a stand out. His sprinting capacity at least is enormous.
I can't recall Jake ever being lazy. Is this just a perceptual thing?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-01-2016, 10:22 AM
I would have preferred Wallis in over Boyd at this point in their careers, particularly as the former has earned it, but happy with Wood and Bont.

Mantis
27-01-2016, 03:38 PM
I would have preferred Wallis in over Boyd at this point in their careers, particularly as the former has earned it, but happy with Wood and Bont.

Agree that the age profile looks a bit out with 60% of the group probably having 1 or 2 years left, but I guess not having a title doesn't stop players from having a positive influence over the entire squad.