PDA

View Full Version : Damien Cavka

Go_Dogs
25-01-2016, 06:30 PM
It's always disappointing to hear about career ending injuries, but particularly when it happens to a player so early in his career and before he has the opportunity to fulfil his dreams.

Cavka has announced his retirement today from West Coast following a significant foot injury, having been recently advised that he should retire from senior football. I know a few on WOOF had followed through the TAC Cup in 2014.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-25/young-eagle-forced-to-quit.mobileapp

GVGjr
25-01-2016, 06:34 PM
It's always disappointing to hear about career ending injuries, but particularly when it happens to a player so early in his career and before he has the opportunity to fulfil his dreams.

Cavka has announced his retirement today from West Coast following a significant foot injury, having been recently advised that he should retire from senior football. I know a few on WOOF had followed through the TAC Cup in 2014.

Athletically gifted player and it's always sad to hear that youngsters have to give the game away before they have really had a chance to establish themselves.

bulldogtragic
25-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Bad result all round. Must be hard to make that call so young.

Bulldog Joe
25-01-2016, 07:16 PM
That must be truly shattering for the young man. Retired at 19 without playing a game.

AndrewP6
25-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Devastating result for the guy. Really feel for him...

Twodogs
26-01-2016, 03:20 AM
What was the injury? Was it the navicular bone? That's the one that got Tommy Williams. A bone the size of a grain of rice and if it goes the surgeons get two goes at a very finicky procedure. If it fails the first time then they only have enough material to have one more go at it.

James Hird's first navicular treatment failed but his second knitted perfectly and he never had another problem with it. I wonder if he was forced into retirement like most sufferers if all the rest would have followed.

Go_Dogs
26-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Have added the article to the OP - unspecified injury but assume you're right TD.

Ghost Dog
26-01-2016, 01:15 PM
What was the injury? Was it the navicular bone? That's the one that got Tommy Williams. A bone the size of a grain of rice and if it goes the surgeons get two goes at a very finicky procedure. If it fails the first time then they only have enough material to have one more go at it.

James Hird's first navicular treatment failed but his second knitted perfectly and he never had another problem with it. I wonder if he was forced into retirement like most sufferers if all the rest would have followed.

Well, I think it's a bit bigger than a grain of rice isn't it? But I was just reading about it. Does seem to come up a lot in AFL conversations as a really problematic injury.

Twodogs
26-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Well, I think it's a bit bigger than a grain of rice isn't it? But I was just reading about it. Does seem to come up a lot in AFL conversations as a really problematic injury.

I'm sure I read that analogy when Tom Williams had the his navicular but that's about the upper limits of my knowledge on the topic reached. I'm done. ;)

Mofra
27-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Must be awful.
Same injury that killed Matty Egan's career at 25?

From memory Hugh Minson also retired early due to injury.

AndrewP6
27-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Must be awful.

Minson did, with a bung knee.

Twodogs
28-01-2016, 02:05 AM
Must be awful.

Egan went from AA, Premiership player to not playing again? Certainly missed the next season.

azabob
28-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Egan went from AA, Premiership player to not playing again? Certainly missed the next season.

I think you will find the injury cost him playing in a premiership.

Yeah I wiki'd him last night.

bornadog
29-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Just got back from Prahran market and my green grocer was telling me is nephew had to quit football at West Coast. Funny thing he has been keeping me up to date about him and I had forgotten his name. I recalled this thread and said you mean Damian.

Apparently the kid is devastated as he was showing a lot of promise.

Testekill
29-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Must be awful.

To be fair, Egan was told specifically to keep off of his foot and let it heal properly. Egan got on the piss in Bali and rebroke it before it had healed.

Twodogs
29-01-2016, 07:40 PM
To be fair, Egan was told specifically to keep off of his foot and let it heal properly. Egan got on the piss in Bali and rebroke it before it had healed.

Yeah. There is usually a story like that behind most tragedys.

Sedat
01-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Hiring Shane Charter as his personal trainer and, err, dietician during his injury lay-off might have helped young James with his miraculous recovery ;)

Twodogs
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah. Dietician. I've had lots of help with my diet down through the years. And quite a lot of dieticians, lots of them with Tatts and hotted up toranas.

Webby
24-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Just heard through the bush telegraph that Cavka will be running around for Keilor this year. If he progresses, it might be worthwhile having him as a top up at Footscray..