PDA

View Full Version : Which new draftee will really take off in 2016?

Eastdog
16-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Sort of similar to a thread that bulldogtragic started about which new draftee will debut first in 2016. This thread is discussing out of our new draftees which one will really show the most in 2016.

F'scary
16-02-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm going Dunkers. I think he could get around 12 games and by the last of them have established his credentials as an accumulating yet bruising inside mid and a good mark.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't write anyone off (outside of Goetz who clearly has talent but needs a lot of development). I think this is a really exciting group - in the spirit of the thread I'm going to have a stab and go with my man Marcus Adams who looks perfectly suited for a role in our zone defence and may even pinch hit forward as rotations dictate.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't write anyone off (outside of Goetz who clearly has talent but needs a lot of development). I think this is a really exciting group - in the spirit of the thread I'm going to have a stab and go with my man Marcus Adams who looks perfectly suited for a role in our zone defence and may even pinch hit forward as rotations dictate.
I like it PP and wouldn't be suprised either if The Spec spent a bit of time floating forward.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Having said that I can see KC and a smokey in Lynch being the one's to really take off ;)

boydogs
16-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Probably Dunkley. Adams is physically ready to go, but from reports he has a bit to work on

Mofra
17-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm going to be a wet blanket and say we'll be more excited by the development of 2014 draftees who will defy the second year blues and start becoming major contributors to our team (Caleb Daniel, Toby Mclean, Bailey dale in that order will make big contributions - and Declan Hamilton will debut and earn himself a contract extension).

Form 2015: Dunkley will play the most games but Collins will debut towards the end of the year and look like he belongs at AFL level, he'll excite us most. The Toby McLean of 2015 - people will wonder how he slipped so far in the draft.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm going to be a wet blanket and say we'll be more excited by the development of 2014 draftees who will defy the second year blues and start becoming major contributors to our team (Caleb Daniel, Toby Mclean, Bailey dale in that order will make big contributions - and Declan Hamilton will debut and earn himself a contract extension).

Form 2015: Dunkley will play the most games but Collins will debut towards the end of the year and look like he belongs at AFL level, he'll excite us most. The Toby McLean of 2015 - people will wonder how he slipped so far in the draft.
I agree that, while this is a really exciting group, it is unrealistic to expect huge returns this year. In this list, any of them will have done extremely well to play more than a handful or so games.

Of the 2014 crop, I am also excited about Maclean but a little concerned by the amount of strapping he wore on Saturday. Bailey Dale is my guess, has really developed physically and could take his game to a whole new level, whilst Daniel also looks ready to nail a regular best 22 role.

Bulldog Joe
17-02-2016, 12:50 PM
The way everyone is talking we may need to lobby the league to increase the bench to about 12, because we can't fit all our best 22 inside 30 players.;)

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 12:58 PM
The way everyone is talking we may need to lobby the league to increase the bench to about 12, because we can't fit all our best 22 inside 30 players.;)

Ha ha. There might be a few surprise selections in round 1. You never know the MC thoughts.

Mofra
17-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Ha ha. There might be a few surprise selections in round 1. You never know the MC thoughts.
Honeychurch played round 1 last year, not sure many (if any) of us picked that.
Caleb Daniel is my pick.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Honeychurch played round 1 last year, not sure many (if any) of us picked that.
Caleb Daniel is my pick.

Yes I notice Caleb is featuring well in Woofers reviews this year at training.

craigsahibee
18-02-2016, 12:16 PM
From the reports of the intra club last week, Dunkley seems to be the ideal candidate, but I have a sneaky feeling Collins will be at the forefront of all discussions in 7 months time when the footy world is predicting the Rising Star winner.

As a footnote, I also thought that Patrick Bowden would be the next big thing ;)

Maddog37
18-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Lynch really impressed me in Ballarat at training. Very involved and moves across the ground easily. Did see Dal nail him in a great tackle when Lynch tried to baulk him and Lynch was very upset with himself. All the players get very upset when they make a single mistake at training which I love to see.

Sedat
18-02-2016, 02:40 PM
From the reports of the intra club last week, Dunkley seems to be the ideal candidate, but I have a sneaky feeling Collins will be at the forefront of all discussions in 7 months time when the footy world is predicting the Rising Star winner.

As a footnote, I also thought that Patrick Bowden would be the next big thing ;)
I'm no betting man but if I was I would put a sneaky $100 on Caleb Daniel - he did what he did last season with no pre-season and suffering a serious injury that killed half his season. With a full pre-season behind him this time around, he will suffer from leather poisoning in 2017. Bailey Dale, Lukas Webb and Toby McLean are also all still eligible for the award.

LostDoggy
18-02-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm no betting man but if I was I would put a sneaky $100 on Caleb Daniel - he did what he did last season with no pre-season and suffering a serious injury that killed half his season. With a full pre-season behind him this time around, he will suffer from leather poisoning in 2017. Bailey Dale, Lukas Webb and Toby McLean are also all still eligible for the award.
The betting on the RS is fascinating to follow. Toby McLean is the single biggest firmer in the entire competition this year (from $41 to $14). Caleb Daniel has also been supported into $26. Other Dogs in the market; Lukas Webb $41, Keiran Collins and Bailey Dale $51, others $61+.

Greystache
18-02-2016, 03:14 PM

It'll depend on whether there's a half reasonable interstate challenger. The non-Victorian block of judges would sooner cut a testicle off than award the RS to a Victorian player when there's an alternative. The couple of times in the past decade when a Victorian based player has won there's been no reasonable alternative to vote for, the rest of the time we get the likes of Palmer, Taylor, and Rich.

Mofra
18-02-2016, 03:44 PM
It'll depend on whether there's a half reasonable interstate challenger.
Callum Mills at Sydney, unless Heeney still qualifies.

I can't see the AFL turning down the chance for some positive PR in Sydney especially after a summer of "Buddy Troubles" making the backpage multiple times.

Ghost Dog
18-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Agree with Sedat here. Caleb Daniel, never saw a newcomer sell the dummy, and look so confident and at home in a senior side.Will quickly be elevated to cult status.

Smads57
18-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Dunkley for me - has good physical build already. Noticed at Ballarat, he was getting in some one on one centre square training with Joel Corey and King so suggest he is on the radar of the coaches to get a game early in the year.

LostDoggy
20-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Callum Mills at Sydney, unless Heeney still qualifies.

I can't see the AFL turning down the chance for some positive PR in Sydney especially after a summer of "Buddy Troubles" making the backpage multiple times.
Mills will be shortening after tonight. Most impressive debut (albeit preseason).