PDA

View Full Version : Free Afl Live pass for telstra post paid phone subscribers

Drunken Bum
01-03-2016, 09:23 PM
https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/sport/sports-offer-eoi

Enjoy :)

oh and as a little extra for those who would prefer to watch it on their TV not their phone

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-connect-android-tv-summary-3533870/

Maddog37
02-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Am I right in saying that if you have Foxtel go this is not required?

Topdog
02-03-2016, 03:51 PM

From memory Foxtel Go doesn't have every match on the phone.

bornadog
02-03-2016, 04:09 PM
oh and as a little extra for those who would prefer to watch it on their TV not their phone

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-connect-android-tv-summary-3533870/

Have you tried this?

bornadog
02-03-2016, 04:11 PM

You can't connect your phone to TV with Foxtel Go. You would have to jailbreak the phone as Foxtel Go is made for a mobile device and the app prevents any mirroring or casting. Try DB's suggestion but not sure it will work. Some further information here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2385896)

SonofScray
02-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Signed up. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Drunken Bum
02-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Have you tried this?

Edit, read the post wrong, no not yet although will be tomorrow or fri and will post results

ratsmac
02-03-2016, 08:23 PM
I have recently got rid of foxtel because it is basically a of money (for my fam anyway) and were going halves with the old man with the AFL live pass. Now I don't have to because he is with telstra. Winning!

Oh yeah in case you didn't know, you can have I think up to 4 devices connected to the one AFL live pass and all be watching different games simultaneously. I have tested it and it works fine. Coupled with the chromecast it has made my decision off getting rid of foxtel a good one. Now a free live pass wow! This season is just getting better already.

bornadog
03-03-2016, 12:16 AM
I have recently got rid of foxtel because it is basically a of money (for my fam anyway) and were going halves with the old man with the AFL live pass. Now I don't have to because he is with telstra. Winning!

Oh yeah in case you didn't know, you can have I think up to 4 devices connected to the one AFL live pass and all be watching different games simultaneously. I have tested it and it works fine. Coupled with the chromecast it has made my decision off getting rid of foxtel a good one. Now a free live pass wow! This season is just getting better already.

Can you connect to your TV and watch Footy?

ratsmac
03-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Can you connect to your TV and watch Footy?

Yes. If you have a smart phone, pad or tab, you can use the chromecast dongle (jbhifi sell them for about $50) and it will cast anything displayed on the screen of your phone to the TV that has the chromecast connected to it. So when you watch a game on the AFL app it will be displayed on the TV as well via the chromecast. It works great so long as your internet connection is fast enough to stream video.

bornadog
03-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes. If you have a smart phone, pad or tab, you can use the chromecast dongle (jbhifi sell them for about $50) and it will cast anything displayed on the screen of your phone to the TV that has the chromecast connected to it. So when you watch a game on the AFL app it will be displayed on the TV as well via the chromecast. It works great so long as your internet connection is fast enough to stream video.

I have had a Chromecast for over a year, bought one from the USA before they were released in Australia. But does the AFL app allow casting?

Edit: Some discussion here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2498787)which suggests you need another solution, perhaps DB's solution

Drunken Bum
03-03-2016, 12:16 PM
i ordered an actiontec screen beam mini2 $69 from JB, should arrive tomorrow and will update on how that goes, in theory it should mirror anything on your phone or tablet screen or on your TV regardless if there is content control although there are some conflicting reports on this, will let you know how it goes

bornadog
03-03-2016, 12:28 PM
i ordered an actiontec screen beam mini2 $69 from JB, should arrive tomorrow and will update on how that goes, in theory it should mirror anything on your phone or tablet screen or on your TV regardless if there is content control although there are some conflicting reports on this, will let you know how it goes

Will be very interesting.

ratsmac
03-03-2016, 09:02 PM
I have had a Chromecast for over a year, bought one from the USA before they were released in Australia. But does the AFL app allow casting?

Edit: Some discussion here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2498787)which suggests you need another solution, perhaps DB's solution

I have a Samsung galaxy s5, a nexus 7 and my wife's phone is a Samsung s4 and I have had the chromecast casting (mirroring) the screens of all of them. When you do it that way you can watch anything from the AFL app on the TV.

The AFL app has disabled the cast screen in the app for live games and replays though. This is to try force you to get foxtel I'd say. The only way to watch the games through the app is to cast the phone screen through the chromecast app which like I said before will display anything that is on the phones screen.

I hope that makes sense.

Drunken Bum
15-03-2016, 07:49 PM
I finally received my actiontec screenbeam mini2 and have given it a go just now, works a treat, quality when mirrored onto the TV isn't as great as i hoped but it's the quality of the stream not the device as video's recorded on my phone are hd quality on the tv when mirrored. It's still better than any other streams going around by a fair margin so i'm pretty happy with spending $70 on that compared to what would have to fork out to foxtel just to watch the AFEL.

edit: that sounds like such a promotional ad/paid for comment now that i look back at it lol, nothing to gain from it just pretty stoked it works thats all :)

KT31
29-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across this, but one of my Pups has discovered a way to stream AFL Live to the TV.

We had previously tried to do this with little success, by fluke me Pup was streaming music through Apple TV and swapped over to the AFL live App mid song and it played on the tv.
We have now done it for heaps of games this season and it works a treat.

Drunken Bum
02-05-2017, 03:09 AM
I don't have a smart tv but i have a screenbeam mini, which you plug into the hdmi and beam your phone screen to the tv to via wifi, works a treat, picked it up from JB's for $50-80 odd i think it was

bornadog
02-05-2017, 09:41 AM
I don't have a smart tv but i have a screenbeam mini, which you plug into the hdmi and stream to via wifi, works a treat, picked it up from JB's for $50-80 odd i think it was

Can you get AFL?

cinder
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across this, but one of my Pups has discovered a way to stream AFL Live to the TV.

We had previously tried to do this with little success, by fluke me Pup was streaming music through Apple TV and swapped over to the AFL live App mid song and it played on the tv.
We have now done it for heaps of games this season and it works a treat.

What's the resolution like?

Drunken Bum
02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Can you get AFL?

Sorry just edited my post as it was a little unclear.
I use the AFL app on my phone but watch it on the tv using the screen beam mini

bornadog
02-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Sorry just edited my post as it was a little unclear.
I use the AFL app on my phone but watch it on the tv using the screen beam mini

Do you get a good resolution?

KT31
02-05-2017, 08:07 PM
What's the resolution like?

Certainly not HD, but pretty good.

cinder
02-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks. Good for those without Foxtel.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2017, 09:21 PM

I can see them online for about $80 from a few retailers. Does anyone know if Chrome Cast works?

LostDoggy
02-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Chromecast doesn't work for me any more, worked fine last season but I had to watch the Brisbane game on my tablet :(

Topdog
03-05-2017, 03:51 PM
I find all of these solutions pretty much unwatchable.

I gave up on crappy internet streams a while ago for the same reason.

Even foxtel go from PC to TV is very average quality when watching sport.

bornadog
03-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I find all of these solutions pretty much unwatchable.

I gave up on crappy internet streams a while ago for the same reason.

Even foxtel go from PC to TV is very average quality when watching sport.

I have been very impressed with Foxtel Play on a Telstra TV media player - HD resolution and no issues with buffering.

Cost is Telstra TV - $109. Foxtel Play $29 for sports channel, but you need to add one other pack - minimum $10. That will however give you all the Sports channels, plus the pack you choose.

I understand, Foxtel Play on other devices is not in HD.

Doc26
03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
For the past few years have watched AFL Live via an iPad for the increased viewing size rather than trying to make out what's going on via a smartphone.

This season they (AFL/Telstra) seem to have limited the size of the picture to something like the maximum smartphone size i.e
can no longer fill the screen size of an iPad. Bit of a shame as my eyesight is not as good as it once was.

Topdog
04-05-2017, 12:28 AM
I have been very impressed with Foxtel Play on a Telstra TV media player - HD resolution and no issues with buffering.

Cost is Telstra TV - $109. Foxtel Play $29 for sports channel, but you need to add one other pack - minimum $10. That will however give you all the Sports channels, plus the pack you choose.

I understand, Foxtel Play on other devices is not in HD.

Yeah but you can get Foxtel with sport from Telstra for $40 a month (this was $35 when i looked 3 months back)

https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/foxtel-from-telstra

bornadog
04-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Yeah but you can get Foxtel with sport from Telstra for $40 a month (this was $35 when i looked 3 months back)

https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/foxtel-from-telstra

Fair enough. The only thing with the solution above is there are no contracts so you can pull out any time.

I am renting for 12 months till new place is built and unfortunately can't get the full Foxtel. (F$%King landlords)

Drunken Bum
04-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Do you get a good resolution?
Like kt said it's not HD but it's pretty good for what it is. I use it to watch live games then download it in hd later to watch it properly as i get too caught up in the game to appreciate all the nuances of it the first time around

I can see them online for about $80 from a few retailers. Does anyone know if Chrome Cast works?
I've got the screenbeam mini which i think was around that price from memory, works a treat, just plug it into one of your hdmi ports in the tv and a power point and just connect via wifi with your phone and it beams whatever is on your phone screen to the tv

Doc26
05-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Like kt said it's not HD but it's pretty good for what it is. I use it to watch live games then download it in hd later to watch it properly as i get too caught up in the game to appreciate all the nuances of it the first time around

I've got the screenbeam mini which i think was around that price from memory, works a treat, just plug it into one of your hdmi ports in the tv and a power point and just connect via wifi with your phone and it beams whatever is on your phone screen to the tv

Have you tested the screenbeam with a non jail broken iPhone or iPad? I didn't believe it was compatible.

Drunken Bum
05-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Have you tested the screenbeam with a non jail broken iPhone or iPad? I didn't believe it was compatible.

no i haven't sorry, i've got android, i keep forgetting apple wont let you do anything that is't approved/sold by them

jeemak
05-05-2017, 02:08 AM
no i haven't sorry, i've got android, i keep forgetting apple wont let you do anything that is't approved/sold by them

Taking my GF's android phone away from her whilst I'm also controlling the TV and being somewhat unpalatable throughout the process might be a bit of a hard sell!

Just grabbed an Iphone 6S in lieu of my previous 5S going to heaven, I should have read this a few days ago.......

LostDoggy
05-05-2017, 07:14 AM
DB what app are you using to cast to the screenbeam? The default casting app on on my Samsung has stopped working in the last couple of weeks (to a chromecast) If you are using a different ap id like to try it.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2017, 01:32 PM
On Samsung smartphones you can mirror content onto your TV via a Chromecast dongle

Works with the AFL app however the picture quality onto the TV isnt great however watchable

Most games I get through without any buffering

BulldogBelle
05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Click on Home (Google Home - icon is a house in green, yellow, red and blue
When you in the app click on 'Home' and there is an option to 'Cast Screen / Audio)

You can cast whatever is playing on your Samsung device through your Chromecast to the TV