PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs set to deploy WA recruit Marcus Adams against Fremantle

Bulldog4life
20-03-2016, 09:34 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2016-western-bulldogs-set-to-deploy-wa-recruit-marcus-adams-against-fremantle/news-story/2ae01eaf462a5fb440363176dcdf9624

THE Western Bulldogs are confident Marcus Adams can thrive in a baptism of fire against Fremantle as the WA recruit firms for a dream Round 1 debut.

Adams, the younger brother of one-punch attack victim Luke Adams, is set to be rewarded for his impressive pre-season form with a berth in the Dogs’ backline at Etihad Stadium next Sunday.

Bulldogs defensive coach Rohan Smith said he had no doubt the 22-year-old West Perth product had the ability to stay composed and hold his own against a Dockers outfit that ranks as one of the most experienced in the competition.

“His athleticism is just amazing. He can spoil, he’s quick, and he’s quite agile as well for a big guy,” Smith said of Adams, who was pick 35 in last year’s national draft.

“He came in a little bit raw, just having played in the WAFL, and didn’t really know what to expect.

“One thing that Marcus does is he gives himself every opportunity by the way he plays and the way he prepares.

“I haven’t seen a young kid prepare the way he does with his body and his off-field stuff like his diet — he’s just meticulous about that.

“And it serves him well on the field. He’s made some big inroads. We’re confident he can handle the rigours of AFL footy, whether that’s Round 1 or Round 10.”

The 192cm Adams played all three of his side’s NAB Challenge games, including a commendable effort against Collingwood’s Travis Cloke last week.

Smith said the Dogs’ coaching unit had been paying close attention to Fremantle’s fleet of small forwards across the pre-season, including Hayden Ballantyne, Michael Walters and Harley Bennell.

“They’re quality players and we have to play the right way,” Smith said. “We can’t just be totally offensive. We have to have a defensive attitude against such quality opposition, because if you give them 2m, they’ll take it and kick a goal.”

The Bulldogs were the surprise packet of 2015, riding a free-flowing, fast-paced style to an unlikely finals berth.

Though bracing for a more attacking Dockers, Smith said the WA side would provide one of the sternest tests of the Dogs’ running game.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2016, 09:43 PM
I remember my constant muttering so last year about how important the draft was to nail. Collins & Dunkley are near cents to make the grade on exposure to date, and Adams to debut in round one against a very strong opponent is another tick for last year's draft. Bevo's (& MCs) selection on form and fitness irrespective of anything else may well be continuing.

jeemak
21-03-2016, 01:13 AM
I think Adams deserves a round one spot, and probably a spot for a couple of weeks after that on preseason form. Whilst he has his weaknesses in quick disposal he'll hopefully adjust to the grade.

It's going to be really interesting to see whether he can cut the mustard. Massive draft get if he can.

chef
21-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Hasnt looked out of depth so exciting stuff. Got a feeling Dalrymple has nailed another draft.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Hasnt looked out of depth so exciting stuff. Got a feeling Dalrymple has nailed another draft.

Adam's marking and athleticism will have opponents thinking we have two Eastons.
We need to secure Dalrymple's services. I've forgiven him for Christian Howard. Other clubs will start offering him serious money.

bornadog
21-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Adam's marking and athleticism will have opponents thinking we have two Eastons.
We need to secure Dalrymple's services. I've forgiven him for Christian Howard. Other clubs will start offering him serious money.

Have you also forgiven him for the other 8 players that he drafted that were no good?

Here is my assessment:

Our Pick
Overall Pick
Player
Games Played
Can Play
Total Picks

Christian Howard
No

Jason Tutt
No

Lukas Markovic
No

Shane Thorne
No

Mitchell Wallis
Yes

Thomas Liberatore
Yes

Jayden Schofield
No

Zephaniah Skinner
No

Clay Smith
Yes

Michael Talia
No

Daniel Pearce
No

Tory Dickson
Yes

Jake Stringer
Yes

Jackson Macrae
Yes

Nathan Hrovat
Yes

Lachlan Hunter
Yes

Joshua Prudden
?

Marcus Bontempelli
Yes

Matthew Fuller
No

Mitch Honeychurch
Yes

Toby McLean
Yes

Lukas Webb
Yes

Declan Hamilton
Unknown

Bailey Dale
Yes

Caleb Daniel
Yes

Zaine Cordy
?

Josh Dunkley
Unknown

Kieran Collins
Unknown

Marcus Adams
Unknown

Bailey Williams
Unknown

Total
No

Yes

Unknown

Maybe

So far half the players he has picked have made it. Don't get me wrong this is normal for recruiters, or maybe better than normal as I haven't assessed other recruiters.

soupman
21-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Tbf you could upgrade Talia and Tutt to unlikely, they are both capable just haven't come through for an assortment of reasons. Schofield was capable also.

The only players there that were no chance were Thorne, Markovic (although was a very average stop gap) and Fuller.

You could also add in the rookie list which would have some good prospects on it.

Certainly his recent form is a very strong indication we should sign him up.

bornadog
21-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Tbf you could upgrade Talia and Tutt to unlikely, they are both capable just haven't come through for an assortment of reasons. Schofield was capable also.

The only players there that were no chance were Thorne, Markovic (although was a very average stop gap) and Fuller.

You could also add in the rookie list which would have some good prospects on it.

Certainly his recent form is a very strong indication we should sign him up.

No Doubt Dal has done a great job, I just wanted to point out there are also plenty of misses, just like any recruiter. Certainly having early picks and some good Father sons have helped him.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Makes for an interesting analysis, Most of his earlier year picks were no good up until Jake Stringer (Smith the exception),
then pretty much all after that have been good.

Keeping in mind that f/s picks in Wallis and Liber picked themselves and Tory I think was Shannon Grant's work that got him to the club.

Stark turnaround in success rate at that point. Makes you wonder what changed? When did J McCartney start?

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Back on topic I think for Adams to start as a the main key defender ahead of Roberts, Hamling etc, is a massive tick of approval from the coaches, either that or they have very little faith in the others.

I really hope he does well as he has something that the others don't and that is speed and strength.
Roberts reads the play well but is slow and not very strong, hamling is reasonably quick but not strong.

Only worry is he will be under immense pressure against Freo. They don't play like other sides and will try to hurt us on the counter attack with their smalls. There will be a lot of play where he will be looking around for match ups or potentially getting caught out of position. Also add the physical pressure they will apply on his slightly suss disposal and decision making.

Best of luck to him though.

bornadog
21-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Makes for an interesting analysis, Most of his earlier year picks were no good up until Jake Stringer (Smith the exception),
then pretty much all after that have been good.

Keeping in mind that f/s picks in Wallis and Liber picked themselves and Tory I think was Shannon Grant's work that got him to the club.

Stark turnaround in success rate at that point. Makes you wonder what changed? When did J McCartney start?

The earliest pick pre-Stringer was Howard at 14, all the others were higher. Then we got picks 4,5,6. Time will tell with the others.

Sorry to take the thread off topic.

Remi Moses
21-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I felt sorry for Darymple as he basically had a hand tied behind his back with only being part time .
The club stuffed up major there . Talking to a swans recruiter who informed me they had recruiters at all the VFL practice matches

bornadog
21-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Back on topic I think for Adams to start as a the main key defender ahead of Roberts, Hamling etc, is a massive tick of approval from the coaches, either that or they have very little faith in the others.

I really hope he does well as he has something that the others don't and that is speed and strength.
Roberts reads the play well but is slow and not very strong, hamling is reasonably quick but not strong.

Only worry is he will be under immense pressure against Freo. They don't play like other sides and will try to hurt us on the counter attack with their smalls. There will be a lot of play where he will be looking around for match ups or potentially getting caught out of position. Also add the physical pressure they will apply on his slightly suss disposal and decision making.

Best of luck to him though.

I think Hamling will play. Roberts doesn't seem to have had a great preseason. Not sure if he had an injury, or surgery that held him back.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Have you also forgiven him for the other 8 players that he drafted that were no good?

Here is my assessment:

Our Pick
Overall Pick
Player
Games Played
Can Play
Total Picks

Christian Howard
No

Jason Tutt
No

Lukas Markovic
No

Shane Thorne
No

Mitchell Wallis
Yes

Thomas Liberatore
Yes

Jayden Schofield
No

Zephaniah Skinner
No

Clay Smith
Yes

Michael Talia
No

Daniel Pearce
No

Tory Dickson
Yes

Jake Stringer
Yes

Jackson Macrae
Yes

Nathan Hrovat
Yes

Lachlan Hunter
Yes

Joshua Prudden
?

Marcus Bontempelli
Yes

Matthew Fuller
No

Mitch Honeychurch
Yes

Toby McLean
Yes

Lukas Webb
Yes

Declan Hamilton
Unknown

Bailey Dale
Yes

Caleb Daniel
Yes

Zaine Cordy
?

Josh Dunkley
Unknown

Kieran Collins
Unknown

Marcus Adams
Unknown

Bailey Williams
Unknown

Total
No

Yes

Unknown

Maybe

So far half the players he has picked have made it. Don't get me wrong this is normal for recruiters, or maybe better than normal as I haven't assessed other recruiters.

Yes. Apart from Howard, his dud picks were lowly picks and his successes and yet-to-be-determined picks look good, damn good.

Mofra
21-03-2016, 03:12 PM
His record looks a lot better when you consider his first draft (4 players) he was only doing the job part time. Since going full time I dare say he's well ahead of recruitment averages.

Getting Dahl & JJ as rookies in a horrible, horrible draft certainly helps his outlook too.

Mofra
21-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Back to Marcus - I loved the Freo board meltdowns on BF when we picked up Collins and then Adams just before their picks, as they were desperate for tall defenders.
Giving Adams his debut will just rub salt into the wounds :)

Dancin' Douggy
21-03-2016, 06:48 PM
No Doubt Dal has done a great job, I just wanted to point out there are also plenty of misses, just like any recruiter. Certainly having early picks and some good Father sons have helped him.

You would also have to say, his form has improved the longer he's been doing it.
I'd like to see some kind of graph, I reckon it would be on a pretty sharp rise much like the players he likes to draft.
Bont, Macrae etc.

GVGjr
21-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Back to Marcus - I loved the Freo board meltdowns on BF when we picked up Collins and then Adams just before their picks, as they were desperate for tall defenders.
Giving Adams his debut will just rub salt into the wounds :)

He has to perform though. I keep reading that he is athletic and while I don't dispute he has speed I wonder if he can compete in the air with tall opponents. To me he lacks a bit of athleticism.

Mantis
22-03-2016, 11:03 AM
He has to perform though. I keep reading that he is athletic and while I don't dispute he has speed I wonder if he can compete in the air with tall opponents. To me he lacks a bit of athleticism.

Yep.. Doubt the Freo supporters will be all that concerned if he bombs.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2016, 11:30 AM

I think his athleticism is actually pretty good. When he gets a run and jump at it, he's got a nice spring and has taken some impressive grabs in the pre-season. He's pretty quick and I thought he did OK v Cloke in some one on ones. Not sure his lateral movement is great but his strength helps in this area to push off opponents.

What concerns me about Adams is his positioning. At this stage he's very reactive, which is understandable in some respects given the leap from WAFL to AFL, but I tend to think reading the play is mostly innate (ie. Weitering has shown it straight away). I worry that against smart forwards and capable midfields, he could be badly exposed on the lead or over the back.

chef
22-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Looks a player. Looks as if he has pretty good athleticism and agility, the only worry for me is his disposal which looked a bit ordinary in the games I've seen him play.