PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned: Round one v Fremantle.

Twodogs
24-03-2016, 12:37 AM
Only three everyone. Not four. Two you shall not say unless three immediately follows.

GVGjr
27-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 04:51 PM
1. Run and disposals. JJ & Biggs 35 touches each and Sucklings leg cannon.
2. Inconsistency: 3.9 in a half of footy. Really good teams don't do that. Still about along with poor goal kicking.
3. Still....: We scored over 100 points and kept Freo to their lowest ever team score against us.
4. Recruiting: Adams & Dunkley on debut. Well done to both boys.

I didn't learn it, but Stringer is moving towards Gary Ablett Snr comparisons.

AndrewP6
27-03-2016, 05:04 PM
1.Daniel can be a real force in the league.
2.Bevo is bold enough to give serious time to young blokes...and it pays off.
3. Our goal kicking hasn't improved one bit. Should've iced it earlier and won by way more. I love Gia but something isn't working.

Murphy'sLore
27-03-2016, 05:15 PM
1. We need to get better at set shots.
2. We need to get better at set shots.
3. We need to get better at set shots.

always right
27-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Many were concerned about our small defence. They actually dominated the game.

Many were concerned about our ruck. Roughy was the dominant big man.

We were all concerned about Adam's disposal. Today his kicking was an attacking weapon.

F'scary
27-03-2016, 06:16 PM
1. Adams star fullback. I did not expect this showing.
2. Toby McLean. His four games last year had me convinced he was a star but then I wondered if I was mistaken through the NAB no cup. Today reconfirmed for me the gem we have acquired.
3. Tom Boyd is a very good ruckman. The tactic of switching him from FF might have the added benefit of creating mismatches when Stringer goes to FF.

SonofScray
27-03-2016, 06:21 PM
1. Conversion in front of goal is the biggest hurdle to over come.
2. We have capacity for irresistible football that can make a flag wag.
3. We're taking over.

lemmon
27-03-2016, 06:25 PM
1. Wood may very well be the next captain. Very cool head, gutsy and a genuine superstar. Pav didn't have an answer when they were matched up.

2. Roughy earned his shot at number one ruck for a while. He dominated the freo rucks and his tap work was class. That big grab up forward was icing on the cake

3. I may be the only one but I liked what we showed in quarters 2 and 3. We completely blanketed a good outfit, harassed around the contest and showed we could grit through a rough period. It was the cement to go with the silk of quarters 1 and 4

ReLoad
27-03-2016, 06:39 PM
1. Jake Stringer is Batman.
2. Toby McLean is Robin.
3. I'm pretty sure Bontempelli is superman. A Brownlow would confirm it.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 06:49 PM
1. Jake Stringer is Batman.
2. Toby McLean is Robin.
3. I'm pretty sure Bontempelli is superman. A Brownlow would confirm it.

In this case I actually go to the movies to see Batman Vs Superman. Don't know who to barrack for though.

Mantis
27-03-2016, 06:59 PM
1/ Our tackling was immense.. Bring that willingness to halt the opposition and we win most weeks.

2/ Our run from behind will be the envy of all.

3/ Dale is Dale.. Just a machine.

ledge
27-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Woods screamer.
Stringers goals
Tom Boyd no doubt grew confidence today.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2016, 07:10 PM
1. New Bald Eagle in town. The peroxide was never a good idea.
2. Freo thought they were coming for a sunday stroll, according to Ross Lyon. Who were they kidding?
3. Loved the final three goals at the end, good to see we don't hang up the boots too early.

Oh and Sandy Roberts, Billy Picken played for someone else some years ago....

azabob
27-03-2016, 07:17 PM
1. There is a sence of pride and care in our players for each other. They all seem to genuinely like each other. See when Dunkley and Liberatore kicked their goals.

2. Jake Stringer is the most frequently freakish player i have seen play for our club.

3. If Roughead and Boyd can stay fit they can provide great flexibility and can each play the number 1 ruck role if required allowing the other to play forward or back.

boydogs
27-03-2016, 07:24 PM
1. Our forward pressure can beat the best sides, but can't be sustained
2. Roughy with continuity could be the answer to our ruck dilemma
3. Adams needs to practice his 9 Iron but his Driver is terrific

westbulldog
28-03-2016, 01:24 AM
1. Easton Wood amazes with his athleticism, skill and courage.
2. Adams, Dunkley and McLean are very promising.
3. Libba never left - welcome back !

Dry Rot
28-03-2016, 02:09 AM
1/ Our tackling was immense.. Bring that willingness to halt the opposition and we win most weeks.

1. This. I am an ex-rugby league guy who loves tackling, and tackling with intent.

It was the best 4 quarter remorseless tackling display I can recall in 18 years following the Dogs. And perhaps one of the best ever, up there with the Swans at their best.

2. Port and Crows fans are smarter than you think. Many of them posted on BF when Daniel was drafted how pleased they were that a club saw his abilities and overlooked his lack of height and drafted him. They had seen him play in the SAFL. They loved him and were disappointed their club overlooked him.

3. Adams was better than I thought. Caveat: he was up against talls like Old Pav (my 84 year old mum is quicker than him now in her zimmer frame) and Liam Jones' missing twin Taberner.

comrade
28-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Adams will eat average key forwards for breakfast.

F'scary
28-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Adams will eat average key forwards for breakfast.

He will spoil and then run off bludgers all match.

Smads57
28-03-2016, 11:02 AM
1. we may not be the Port Adelaide of 2015 after all
2. we have good depth on our list in being able to bring in 3 debutants and still have a heap of quality players lining up in the VFL or out injured
3. we do play 'sexy' football don't we.....

1eyedog
28-03-2016, 11:11 AM
1. Tom Boyd was good. He got to a heap of contests and, while he was man handled and double teamed all day not one of their key backs out-marked him in any contest all day. He's doing the things Bevo wants.
2. Marcus Adams: looks like Tarzan plays like Tarzan. He may just be the answer allowing Roughie to play ruck while having the troops to hold down key positions down back.
3. Toby McLean is the icing on the cake. The kid has serious skills and is / will be the type of player who won't need the ball much to really hurt you.

ledge
28-03-2016, 11:15 AM
1. This. I am an ex-rugby league guy who loves tackling, and tackling with intent.

It was the best 4 quarter remorseless tackling display I can recall in 18 years following the Dogs. And perhaps one of the best ever, up there with the Swans at their best.

2. Port and Crows fans are smarter than you think. Many of them posted on BF when Daniel was drafted how pleased they were that a club saw his abilities and overlooked his lack of height and drafted him. They had seen him play in the SAFL. They loved him and were disappointed their club overlooked him.

3. Adams was better than I thought. Caveat: he was up against talls like Old Pav (my 84 year old mum is quicker than him now in her zimmer frame) and Liam Jones' missing twin Taberner.

They say Daniels could have gone number one except for his height, a huge favourite in SA by fans of all clubs.

Raw Toast
28-03-2016, 12:00 PM
1. Our combination of manic pressure and free-wheeling attack remains the most enjoyable game 'style' that I've witnessed in following the Bulldogs. Intoxicating.

2. Our spread of contributors across the 22 was fantastic. Didn't have a weak link. Reminds me in some ways of what Malthouse did at the Pies for awhile, and Lyon has done at his teams, but we seem to have the advantage over the Lyon teams in that Bevo's structures rely on even contributions but don't dull the strengths that players can bring, but instead nurtures strengths and helps limit weaknesses.

3. We still have plenty to work out, but have the chance to lay a very solid foundation for the rest of the season over the next few weeks.

The Underdog
28-03-2016, 12:36 PM
1. JJ will need a bit of time to grow enough hair to have a 3rd terrible haircut for the season. If he keeps playing like that though it won't matter. He'll be AA level.

2. Our ability to force extra possessions in our forward line and the midfield and keep pressure on those, helps our backline to look pretty good.

3 BT doesn't read the OP.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 01:00 PM
1. JJ will need a bit of time to grow enough hair to have a 3rd terrible haircut for the season. If he keeps playing like that though it won't matter. He'll be AA level.

2. Our ability to force extra possessions in our forward line and the midfield and keep pressure on those, helps our backline to look pretty good.

3 BT doesn't read the OP.

I read it, just wilfully ignored it. Ignorance is my middle name :D

SonofScray
28-03-2016, 01:06 PM
1. Our combination of manic pressure and free-wheeling attack remains the most enjoyable game 'style' that I've witnessed in following the Bulldogs. Intoxicating.

In the NHL I follow the Boston Bruins who have a historical narrative of being"Big & Bad" they are known to be a physical, nasty outfit and the city loves when they play that way and win. So much so that the local commentary teams often appeal to them when they are losing to "play to their identity."

What I see in this phase of our Club's existence is a real congruence between what our fans project as the Club's best self ("bulldog tenacity" "come out snarling" "fight and fight hard" "shop early," 97 era free wheeling aggro and Eade era class running) and what the squad at all levels is capable of dishing up. That "Men of Mayhem" type of stuff we've seen with the manic pressure and risk taking under pinned by blue collar aggressiveness and work ethic is just irresistible viewing for a fan of this club. It is nourishing for the spirit. A delightful experience.

There is a more grounded sense of identity that pens us as chokers, battlers and also rans which needs to be acknowledged but that can take a back seat for a while.

Allow me to just jump the gun a little bit and dream......
Like any squad that pulls on the jumper and represents this community they have an opportunity to etch themselves into history as drought breakers, but if they were to do it in this fashion we would walk together forever. What an incredible opportunity that has presented itself to this group, now. Maintain that ability to play to our identity, continue to grow and develop, win and affirm this sense of belief that swells every time we put in a performance like yesterdays. Immortalise yourselves.

The Underdog
28-03-2016, 02:27 PM
I read it, just wilfully ignored it. Ignorance is my middle name :D

Seemed more like a wilful act of defiance considering it was the first post. Tread carefully around Twodogs ��

Bulldog4life
28-03-2016, 02:37 PM
1. Never ever again question the MC decision. EVER.

2. Young Caleb Daniel is a gun and will only get better.

3. 2015 was definitely not just a oncer.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Seemed more like a wilful act of defiance considering it was the first post. Tread carefully around Twodogs ��

I will ask GVGjr to give him a 10% pay rise. That should smooth things over.

westdog54
28-03-2016, 03:44 PM
1. The AFL community is all over us. The common line I've had at work today has been "You'd be happy after yesterday."

2. You wouldn't have known Libba had missed a season of football. Straight back into it without missing a beat.

3. I can't remember another time where the media was so smitten with a Bulldog as they are with Jake Stringer. 4th year player getting Ablett senior comparisons from commentators.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 04:23 PM
3. I can't remember another time where the media was so smitten with a Bulldog as they are with Jake Stringer. 4th year player getting Ablett senior comparisons from commentators.

There's not much I take from Macca, but he said to me personally if Jake works hard enough to reach his potential, he will be the best players he's ever coached or been involved with. That includes Gary Ablett Junior and the only better player than him is Gary Ablett Senior. So I guess the comparisons will keep coming, and they're fair ones. There are more and more glimpses of GAS in his game and he's only getting better. The best part, is he bleeds red, white and blue. As Mantis said, he's ours!

w3design
28-03-2016, 04:25 PM
1. Dogs prove what a real team effort can achieve. 11 players named in best.
2. Jake is the next Messiah
3. Need to kick straighter. It cost us a final last year so fix it please Luke

comrade
28-03-2016, 05:25 PM
There's not much I take from Macca, but he said to me personally if Jake works hard enough to reach his potential, he will be the best players he's ever coached or been involved with. That includes Gary Ablett Junior and the only better player than him is Gary Ablett Senior. So I guess the comparisons will keep coming, and they're fair ones. There are more and more glimpses of GAS in his game and he's only getting better. The best part, is he bleeds red, white and blue. As Mantis said, he's ours!

I've been praying for the day we'd have a Buddy/Carey/Yablett type of player that just carried the team to success. I think we might actually have 2 in our midst with Bonti just as damaging, just in a different way.

If we don't win a flag with these 2 at their peak, it'll be a great waste.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 05:40 PM
I've been praying for the day we'd have a Buddy/Carey/Yablett type of player that just carried the team to success. I think we might actually have 2 in our midst with Bonti just as damaging, just in a different way.

If we don't win a flag with these 2 at their peak, it'll be a great waste.

I add in Boyd. Watching him the TAC there was so much to like, so much raw potential everyone knew he go pick 1 by the Straight at Flemington. When Neo gets confidence and experiences and then realises he's that good at this level, he will be the big man we wanted in the pre-lims of 1997 and 2008-2010, but we will have this time. When this happens, I say we'll truly and legitimately have the four best players in the AFL in a few years time (Stringer, Bonts, Boyd, Liberatore) leaving pups out of this discussion. If we can't get a flag out of this group, I dare say we never will. My money is on two flags or more from this group looking at the age profile and development left, again leaving free agents out of the conversation. Just gotta keep the list together.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 07:01 PM
1 - We have learned little if anything during the off season about rectifying our diabolical set shot goal kicking. It's going to cost us when it counts unless we address it.
2 - The game plan of pressure around the contest is great, real Bulldog spirit from a bygone era, but we also need to be able to play at a different tempo if the opposition adjusts or adapts.
3 - There is no getting around the fact that Caleb Daniel just keeps making good decisions throughout the game.

LostDoggy
28-03-2016, 10:36 PM
1.We are not Port.
2.The Men of Mayhem is here to stay.
3.2015 was not a flash in the pan.

bulldogtragic
29-03-2016, 12:00 AM
1.We are not Port.
2.The Men of Mayhem is here to stay.
3.2015 was not a flash in the pan.

I love the tag Men of Mayhem. I was watching the last Batman the other night, and I was listening to Band and I was thinking Bane's voice/alteration would be awesome talking about us being the Men of Mayhem. Could Bane be an ambassador, or get Bob in one of the masks?

ratsmac
29-03-2016, 02:36 AM
1. There are going to be quite a few good afl quality players playing for footscray frustrated that they can't break into the senior team. They might have to have a rotation policy to keep everyone happy (I doubt it though).

2. I hate seeing players like Selwood playing for free kicks by dropping the knees and shrugging the shoulders to draw a high tackle but I like it when Toby McLean does it. Dunno why but it's like an eveneruperer!

3. Biggs is a really really good player. He works extremely hard with his non stop running, defends well and he is actually an intelligent footballer. He runs to the right spots providing an option and is willing to go in when it's his turn.

Remi Moses
29-03-2016, 03:22 AM
1. Defence . To keep a side to 5 goals at Etihad is super
2. Conversion . We need to convert dominance, as it will bite us on the arse .
3. The development coaches. Go unheralded, but our players are developing at a rapid rate
4. The port Adelaide comparison . Lazy lazy narrative from the talking heads, most of them speak utter gibberish .

whythelongface
29-03-2016, 10:11 AM
1. We have already improved on last year. We dismantled one of the favourites for this year's competition. Don't listen to any of that crap where they didn't turn up to play, or it was the first round, or that the only reason we beat them was because we played at Etihad. We out coached and out played them fair and square.

2. The ability from our team not to leak goals during the lull in the 2nd and 3rd quarters was a promising sign. This already is a significant improvement on last year.

3. As other's have alluded to our set shots are a concern and really need to be addressed.

Mofra
29-03-2016, 10:16 AM
1. Our two best possession winners were former rookies, one we traded for virtually nothing from Sydney. List managers & recruiters take a bow because that is how we overcome GCS/GWS concessions

2. We have depth in the tall forward and tall backman departments. Perhaps for the first time in my lifetime.

3. We spent 2015 playing 2016 football. Bevo take a bow

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2016, 10:18 AM
1. We can beat the best. Never been able to say that, at least not for a long time and consistently. Feels good.

2. Our poor set shots are still present and if we don't fix them it'll cost us dearly, as we saw in the '15 EF.

3. Our drafting is superb - the best in the league. The likes of Daniel, McLean, Dunkley, Adams etc. were all very impressive.

KT31
29-03-2016, 05:19 PM
1. The lid is going to be even harder to keep on in season 2016, 2015 was not an apparition.

2.Biggs is easily best 22.

3.Roughie can be the number one ruckman.

chef
29-03-2016, 06:42 PM
1. F#ck the lid
2. We are the danger
3. We are focused on the job at hand

1eyedog
29-03-2016, 06:45 PM
1. F#ck the lid
2. We are the danger
3. We are focused on the job at hand

Love your work.

LostDoggy
29-03-2016, 10:44 PM
1. Exciting playing style, but it's only round one. Round one can be deceiving. I will reserve judgement until we show we can overcome adversity and real pressure on our ball carriers.
2. Our younger players were superb. The test, as always, is being able to back it up.
3. We are gradually weeding out slow movers and poor disposers of the ball and introducing players with balance, agility and athleticism.