PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 2 2016

Eastdog
28-03-2016, 04:14 PM
This is the round 2 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against St. Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Bank them

Testekill
02-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Bankers-

Johannisen
Adams
Murphy

Anchors-

Bontempelli- just struggled today, probably had a hard tag the entire time

M. Boyd- looking very old out there and stuggled with ball in hand

Macrae- possibly the worst game that I've seen him play, he made a lot of strange out the side kicks and generally wasn't very good at all.

The Underdog
02-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Bankers:
JJ- That steal and run up the wing and the delivery to Stringer saved a goal and created one. Outstanding
Dahl - Had nearly a quarter of our tackles. 13 out of 59
Roughead - Battled exceptionally well in the ruck and around the ground

Anchors:
Suckling - That shot at goal on the run in the 3rd was an absolute mess
Bont - For missing an absolute wide open pass to a leading forward under no pressure in the 2nd which lead to the ball heading straight back up the other end
Liam Picken - For dropping mark of the year :)

Greystache
02-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Bankers

JJ- He is a jet, such a key to the way we play.

Adams- Can't believe he's only played two games. His defending was excellent, his composure in traffic was good, and his kicking was very effective as well.

Roughead- I've been happy with what he's brought to the ruck so far.

Anchors

Suckling- Played like a lair most of the night. Wouldn't take the first option and tried to do flashy things that often hurt the team. Needs a kick up the arse after that effort.

Goal kicking- It's a bad as it gets at the moment. It'll cost is games no question.

Margin- I would've loved to really bury St Kilda tonight. I'm probably being a bit fussy.

dukedog
02-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Marcus adams.
That guy is as cool as a cucumber. Well done young man.

JJ - kid has no ceiling. Lightning speed and credit to the coaches for giving him that license to run

Lachie hunter - you need possession winners that use it well i thought he and caleb daniel did i great job tonight

Anchors: no complaints. Maybe piggy with the dribble kick. Use ur cannon son.

Bulldog Revolution
02-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Bankers
Adams - another excellent performance
JJ - dash, verve and drive
Stevens - grunt, and good decision making

dukedog
02-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Bankers
Adams - another excellent performance
JJ - dash, verve and drive
Stevens - grunt, and good decision making

+1 Stevens. Very selfless tonight. Accurate. Hes a complete player that doesnt draw too many accolades. Great choice.

F'scary
02-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Bankers: Roughead in the ruck. Toby Mclean playing only his 6th game looked dependable. Dale Morris was his usual Rock of Gibralter.

Anchors: although we won easily, the floodback and fast break tactics of the Saints clearly troubled us and I think a lot of our players didn't adjust and here or there looked to be lairising.

westbulldog
02-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Bankers
Marcus Adams at fullback.
JJ - his intercept was the top highlight, the best running back in the AFL at the moment.
Toby McLean - a cool head and talented beyond his years.

Anchors
3rd quarter blues and accuracy in front of goal.
We should have buried the diver's mob by more.

LostDoggy
03-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Bankers:
1. Adams saving the day multiple times.
2. Dahlhaus all heart and workrate.
3. Lachie Hunter played a fantastic game.

Anchors:
1. None. Those boys have conceded only 5 goals a game. We are top of the ladder. We may even go into the Hawks match as favourites. They don't deserve any anchors from me.

SonofScray
03-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Bankers:
Adams - was terrific again in defence. Slotting in very well. I have a great deal of trust in his ability at this point in time.
Roughie - consecutive strong performances, hitting his straps as a ruck man.
Daniel - a catalyst.

Anchors:
St Kilda - absolute horror of an organisation and collection of ordinary human beings. Shameful people.
Rooey love in - champion player, would have been happy to see him stink it up further. Flog.
Goal kicking - just want us to have a night where everything goes to gold, really hammer the scoreboard.

soupman
03-04-2016, 12:35 AM
JJ- That steal and run up the wing and the delivery to Stringer saved a goal and created one. Outstanding

I saw someone on twitter refer to it as "In one play JJ stopped a certain goal by creating a certain goal".

Was great to watch, the crowd had a mini explosion when he intercepted it.

strebla
03-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Bankers:
1. Team football we just run and cover for each other
2. Adams just reads the play so well.
3. Our backline scungy and tough love em
Anchors
Our poor conversion it really needs to be fixed before it costs us 4 points.

always right
03-04-2016, 12:43 AM
B:
Our backline....for the second week in a row
Marcus Adams....continues to surprise
Caleb Daniel....a pure footballer.

A:
Suckling and Dahl's dinky shots at goal. FFS just kick the ball properly.
Stringer was lazy tonight.
Bont's ball use was unbelievably poor tonight.

comrade
03-04-2016, 12:51 AM
B:
Our backline....for the second week in a row
Marcus Adams....continues to surprise
Caleb Daniel....a pure footballer.

A:
Suckling and Dahl's dinky shots at goal. FFS just kick the ball properly.
Stringer was lazy tonight.
Bont's ball use was unbelievably poor tonight.

Disagree about Stringer. He struggled to get into the game so took it on himself to taken a run in the centre square, plus moved up the field to get involved. Ended up with 18 touches and a couple of goals. His blaze away miss was his low point of the night, but I wouldn't describe his performance as lazy.

Eastdog
03-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Bankers

Libba - Getting back to his best

Hunter - 35 possies is a great effort

Daniel - What a star he is and just can run so much. Will be a handful for a lot of opposition players.

Adams - Very good down back especially for a new player to the club

Anchors

Goal Kicking - Needs to get better as could cost us in closer games

Eastdog
03-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Disagree about Stringer. He struggled to get into the game so took it on himself to taken a run in the centre square, plus moved up the field to get involved. Ended up with 18 touches and a couple of goals. His blaze away miss was his low point of the night, but I wouldn't describe his performance as lazy.

Definitely not the worst out there. Did ok and T Boyd did better I reckon than last week.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 01:24 AM
Bankers

1. The miserly backline for only allowing 5 goals again

2. Adams, he can play footy - the new Brian Lake for judging a mark and can kick the ball a mile

3. The MC for not getting sucked in to bring in out of form talls.

Anchors

1. Macrae's disposal - can't believe it was at 73.3% efficiency, I thought he was lucky to hit 10 targets from his 29 disposals.

2. The missed easy goals - set shots and stupid dribbles

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 02:09 AM
B:
10 goals in 8 quarters of footy. A pass mark! :D
Adams. Any wonder Bevo wanted him badly.
JJ.

A:
BS dribble kicks, BS bouncing attempts at goal. Garbage footy.
Kicking for goal generally. Sub afl standard.
Tom Boyd not getting painfully obvious free kicks.

Eastdog
03-04-2016, 02:10 AM
T Boyd I reckon more closer to the banker. Took some good marks and kicked a few.

comrade
03-04-2016, 02:20 AM
Bankers

1. The miserly backline for only allowing 5 goals again

2. Adams, he can play footy - the new Brian Lake for judging a mark and can kick the ball a mile

3. The MC for not getting sucked in to bring in out of form talls.

Anchors

1. Macrae's disposal - can't believe it was at 73.3% efficiency, I thought he was lucky to hit 10 targets from his 29 disposals.

2. The missed easy goals - set shots and stupid dribbles

I don't think it's a case of the MC not picking out of form talls. Based on the last two weeks at VFL level, you couldn't call either of Collins or Hamling (or even Cordy) as out of form. It's just that the MC has a defensive system they want to adhere to at the moment, and another tall is counter productive.

I believe we'll see more key defensive cover away from Etihad.

Remi Moses
03-04-2016, 02:35 AM
Bankers- Intesity , great again
The defense, wonderful just to concede 5 goals again
Hunter, thought he was outstanding
Adams , just wow, great competitor, very good composure . Looks like he's already played 100 games .
JJ, what an exhilarating player we have . He's improvement has been extraordinary .
Anchors - no players, but our conversion has to improve. Just a little to sloppy with our disposal, although I thought they pressured us more than Freo .
- The commentary, the constant reference to stkilda being younger than the dogs . Completely wrong

jazzadogs
03-04-2016, 03:19 AM

Stringers issues looked like they started early in the match when he took a strong mark and got driven into the ground after it. He was holding his stomach and reportedly vomited in the players race post match. I thought he had a solid but not outstanding match. Also Dempster/Webster seemed like a decent match up for him.

I was far more concerned with Bont's match. Started like the superstar we know he can be, but doesn't seem to have his match fitness at the appropriate level yet.

ratsmac
03-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Bankers

Adams - what a find! He never looks like he'll get beaten.
Dahl - he had a relatively quiet night possession wise but his tackling pressure was first class. He created a few goals with just his pressure in our forward line.
Team defence - I sat in the nose bleed section and one good thing about it is you can see how we zone up. Our work rate as a team unit is right up there. We are also very smart in cutting off the opposition options making most of their disposals be under pressure.

ANCHORS

Goal kicking - again like last week we have kept the door ajar for the opposition to believe that the have a chance. We will pay dearly if this trend continues.

F'scary
03-04-2016, 04:35 AM
Bankers- Intesity , great again...

Anchors -...
- The commentary, the constant reference to stkilda being younger than the dogs . Completely wrong

STK................................................ WB

Average Attributes

186.5cm
Height
186.7cm

84.8kg
Weight
84.8kg

25yr 3mth

Games

Stk......................................................... ....... WB

Total Players By Games

Less than 50

50 to 99

100 to 149

150 or more

(source: Footywire)

True, we were the younger, less experienced side on the night.

soupman
03-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Bankers:
Defence: Read a stat that said in the 16 odd years we have playing at Etihad we have never held a team to less than 40 points. We've done it twice this year.

Win out of form: It's weird but that was the least satisfying 57 point win over St.Kilda in their club greats milestone match we could have. We never really got going, were sloppy and had many players not meet their usual standards and influence on a match (Bont, Stringer, Boyd, Wood etc. were all quiet or wasteful). Encouraging to dominate an opponent so easily without many of our key players actually performing.

Marcus Adams: I was excited when we drafted him, disappointed when I thought he wasn't as tall as advertised, worried when I saw his disposal in the NAB challenge, but 2 games in and he looks incredibly impressive. He is like a hybrid Wood/Lake with his intercept marking, his kicking is excellent and his tackling is great. Could not be more impressed with the start he has made to his career.

Anchors:
Goalkicking: It's infuriating how bad we are inside 50. I can't believe how little emphasis we seem to be placing on getting this right because it will cost us games, and even yesterday we could have put the game away by mid second quarter if we capitalised. Our next step is to ruthlessly put teams to the sword. Until we start converting we won't do that, although the sheer weight of chances we generate is impressive.
Saints fans that left early: Yeah I know they got done. I know they never really looked like fighting back. But surely you stay around to the end to clap Riewoldt off. Tbf most of them did, but it should have been all. Btw it really felt like a retirement game for Riewoldt even though he was one of their best.
Suckling: He is clearly talented and will be a weapon, but if he is going to do arrogant round the corner kicks (even if he is actually more accurate from them) he has to nail them otherwise he will soon become the next Gia/Higgins/Grant and be a real supporter whipping boy. Also needs to be prepared to give it off quicker around the ground. Was caught a couple of times cruising trying to do it all when there were better options open.

Mantis
03-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Bankers:

* JJ - if he was close to the AA squad last year he is in the team now.. Just a jet.. People forget he missed the EF. He would've made a big difference.

* Adams - Just a seamless entry into AFL footy.. Good in the air and on the ground and a good distributor.

* T. Boyd - the signs are there.. FF two years and he kicks 6 or 7.

* McLean - got an opportunity and is making the most of it.

Anchors:

* Macrae - bloody frustrating!! His ability to get the ball is A+, his ability to dispose it is an F!

* Goal kicking - not where it needs to be.. Need to make our good work count!

GVGjr
03-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Bankers

- Our defenders are miserly but not in that dour sense. They take the game on and keep driving us forward
- Johannisen progress is amazing and it's not just his run and carry. There was an effort on the wing where he just timed a bump on an opposition player which made sure JJ was now the only player who could get the ball.
- Adams makes a huge difference to our defensive unit. Great recruiting.

Anchors

- Set shot goal kicking conversions. It's going to cost us when it counts if we don't start addressing it.
- Suckling and Dahlhaus with their dribbling kicks for goal. I hope they are called out for it and not just accepted.

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Bankers:

* JJ - if he was close to the AA squad last year he is in the team now.. Just a jet.. People forget he missed the EF. He would've made a big difference.

* Adams - Just a seamless entry into AFL footy.. Good in the air and on the ground and a good distributor.

Anchors:

* Macrae - bloody frustrating!! His ability to get the ball is A+, his ability to dispose it is an F!

Spot on Mantis. I had forgotten

Hotdog60
03-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Bankers

- Our defenders are miserly but not in that dour sense. They take the game on and keep driving us forward
- Johannisen progress is amazing and it's not just his run and carry. There was an effort on the wing where he just timed a bump on an opposition player which made sure JJ was now the only player who could get the ball.
- Adams makes a huge difference to our defensive unit. Great recruiting.

Anchors

- Set shot goal kicking conversions. It's going to cost us when it counts if we don't start addressing it.
- Suckling and Dahlhaus with their dribbling kicks for goal. I hope they are called out for it and not just accepted.

It got mentioned in the presser so with it being highlighted hopefully it will be looked at.

kruder
03-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Bankers:

Anchors:

I find Macrae the most frustrating player on the list. He always takes the 3rd option and then the disposal.... All his highlights as a junior showed his kicking would be an issue at AFL level and it was debated at the time. I'm not sure where I sit with him as you said his ball winning ability is outstanding. Somewhere between an A+ and F? :)

EasternWest
03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
B

Thought Roughead looked mobile and willing and did a good job in the ruck. Looks to be playing without the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Dahlhaus was well held but showed true leadership to continue to be one of the hardest workers on the ground. It's the type of behaviour that inspires young players to emulate his efforts.

McLean is going to be an excitement machine. I really like watching him play.

A.

Not sure if I posted this elsewhere but I thought Suckling played with a bit of an air of superiority that I don't think is warranted. He tried to be too cute with the ball a bit. I like his tools, and I'm satisifed that we signed him, but I'd like him to stick to playing to his strengths. More kicks like the one to JJ thanks.

Aside from that I don't really have too many complaints. The Saints worked really hard to make it a scrappy game and we still smashed them. Goal kicking is a concern, but enough has been said about that.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Bankers

JJ - One of the most exciting players to watch

Adams - Great start, found it interesting in Bevo's post-match presser he mentioned Adams didn't play like this when we drafted him, obviously been a lot of work gone into developing his game style after identifying he had the physical attributes to play the role.

Hunter - similar to Aaron Hall at the GC, finished last season well and has continued on this year to the point he is now one of our first picked each week.

Anchors

Goal kicking, again.

Jacko Macrae - did some good things, but his ball use and decision making is becoming a bit of a concern especially for a guy who accumulates so much of the ball. Needs to be more confident to move it quickly on his wrong side and take the first option more often.

Treatment of Luke Dahlhaus. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the first 2 games he's been the bloke the opposition sides have put the most work into and in just about every clearance situation he is copping some heavy attention usually without any reward/notice from the umpires.

SlimPickens
03-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Bankers

Roughead- best ruckman on the ground again. Fanstastic start to the year.

Adams- hard to believe it's only his second game. Looked and played a bit like Rance last night.

JJ- The wheels....WOW

Anchors
Macrae- thought his disposal was bloody awful.

Non Boyd free kicks....staggering.

SonofScray
03-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Bankers

Treatment of Luke Dahlhaus. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the first 2 games he's been the bloke the opposition sides have put the most work into and in just about every clearance situation he is copping some heavy attention usually without any reward/notice from the umpires.

Opposition are absolutely putting that sort of time and physical attention into him. He is battling through it manfully and dishing up his own work on that front which is fantastic to see. It isn't working for our opponents, they might be better served going after Macrae and Daniel, at which point we see hard, running, goal kicking Dalhaus have a more obvious impact on the game again. They can't put them all down.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Dahl is getting as tough as Picko and that's saying something

Ozza
04-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Great call comrade. I was watching Stringer when he put himself into the middle - he quite obviously called out and gestured to Dunkley to go forward after a st.Kilda goal, and put himself inside for the centre bounce. Dempster is a very accomplished defender and one of the few going around who is actually a suitable physical match up for Stringer. To have 18 possessions and 2.2 was a reasonable effort. He really should have kicked that first set shot - and if he does, a 3 goal night.

Bankers:

Bontempelli - Thought he and Libba got us going in the first quarter with both showing real intent in the middle. I wanted to 'bank' Bonti, because despite being relatively quiet after quarter time, and having one or two 'un-bonti' like moments. He finished with 8 or 9 score involvements, our second most pressure acts and continues to show a real willingness to be the embodiment of a 'team first' player.

Dahlhaus - was getting tagged for most of the night. So he goes and has 13 tackles and 27 pressure acts. This type of example shows the maturing of a team - where players find a way to help the team win however they can. Dahlhaus never ever drops his head or gives up on his quieter nights. He's one of the toughest dogs out there.

Libba - 12 touches in the first quarter. Puts his team mates in better positions with his brilliant handballs. How was his kick from the centre of the ground to Stringer?! We are such a better team with Libba out there. Makes everyone around him better.

Anhors:

Suckling - he'll frustrate us from time to time. Saturday night was one of those.
Macrae - Big fan of his. But ffs, take the first option.
I can't find a third....just a general note about over-doing it going inside 50 and not finishing off the work done up the ground.

bornadog
04-04-2016, 01:15 PM
BANKER

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfCIuhGUEAAv_hZ.jpg