PDA

View Full Version : Rising Star - 2016

Pages : 1 [2]

bornadog
06-09-2016, 02:12 PM
I hope not, she's a girl. (So is the Ivan Maric actress)

yep Grace.

hujsh
06-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Looks like people think Caleb will be the best

Greystache
06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Can't really agree on that.
The narrative I have seen is that there are two stand out winning chances, with Mills favoured by most.
I saw online that the Herald Sun journo's voted - and Mills won - but Caleb got about a third of the 5 votes, and Mills the other 2-thirds.

The AFL's own site has their man front and centre with two players who won't win either side. Just so there's no surprise or outrage when he wins. Caleb nowhere to be seen naturally.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/Greystache/Capture_zps8g5jrgmb.png (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Greystache/media/Capture_zps8g5jrgmb.png.html)

Axe Man
06-09-2016, 02:41 PM
No surprises unfortunately :

1st - Callum Mills (Sydney Swans)
2nd - Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs)
3rd - Jacob Weitering (Carlton)
4th - Darcy Parish (Essendon)
5th - Darcy Moore (Collingwood)

G-Mo77
06-09-2016, 02:42 PM
No, no surprises at all. You could tell a few weeks back Mills was always going to win it.

bornadog
06-09-2016, 02:42 PM
The AFL's own site has their man front and centre with two players who won't win either side. Just so there's no surprise or outrage when he wins. Caleb nowhere to be seen naturally.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/Greystache/Capture_zps8g5jrgmb.png (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Greystache/media/Capture_zps8g5jrgmb.png.html)

Spot on

Axe Man
06-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Callum Mills (49)
Caleb Daniel (41)
Jacob Weitering (26)
Darcy Parish (19)
Darcy Moore (9)
Christian Petracca (2)
Jade Gresham (2)
Clayton Oliver (1)
Lachie Weller (1)

So 9 out of 10 judges voted the same - 5 Mills, 4 Daniel. Only Cameron Ling gave 5 to Caleb. I really don't think it was that clear cut.

G-Mo77
06-09-2016, 02:50 PM
So 9 out of 10 judges voted the same - 5 Mills, 4 Daniel. I really don't think it was that clear cut.

Neither do I. Mills poured it on late and media got behind him. End game.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Today is the day Caleb truly became a bulldog. Pushed aside and marginalised out of an award he had every reason to think he should win in order to glorify a player gifted to the administration's second favorite club.

Help bring us a premiership Caleb and we will give you a night you will never forget. Or remember. It's up to you.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Neither do I. Mills poured it on late and media got behind him. End game.

Meh, the medal can't be taken seriously. I don't rate it. I mean when you give Lewis Taylor the medal ahead of Bont you have to wonder. The AFLPA awards are better.

Not having a go at this years winner by the way. Mills a deserving winner. The way in which it's decided is poor.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Jeez... the parochial paranoia and conspiracy theories are a bit rich.
Yep Daniel had a very good year.. as evidenced by his second placing behind a deserving winner.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2016, 02:54 PM
I think it's safe to say if the number one ranked rising star eligible player two out of three years (Bonts & Daniel) can't win it, no Western Bulldogs player will ever win it.

I will keep a casual eye out for kids when they're nominated, but this award is officially dead to me.

Remi Moses
06-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Great effort from a kid nobody wanted . Great effort from the recruiting team .
Mills was ranked at one by judges , and was gifted to them .
Both great young talents

Doc26
06-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Yep Daniel had a very good year.. as evidenced by his second placing behind a deserving winner.

I agree that Callum Mills is a deserving winner but this week to week selection criteria of picking out one player is just utter bollocks, lacking transparency. Mills apparently wasn't good enough to win a round nomination until 16 weeks into the season.

SlimPickens
06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Don't really care for the award. We got Caleb, that's reward enough. Kid is a super player and will be for a very long time

Greystache
06-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Let's hope Mills develops into another Taylor, Rich, or Palmer. That is if he's actually able to play as a midfielder like he was drafted as.

Greystache
06-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Also congratulations to Jacob Hopper for winning the 2017 nab Rising Star award

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/GWSGiants/Player%20Profiles/2016%20-%20Profiles/HOPPER%20Jacob.png

It'll be nail biting waiting to see which week the media are given the word to start pumping him up as the winner.

Greystache
06-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Now that he's got one wait for the media to get on him big time to win the award.

The anti-Victorian bloc will need to get themselves organised to get the momentum building behind him so it's not a shock when they all vote for him. They would've had Heeney as their great hope until he couldn't get a kick, then it was Hopper til he got injured, Mills will be the new favourite.

SNAP- from a couple of months ago

comrade
06-09-2016, 04:57 PM
SNAP- from a couple of months ago

The AFEL strikes again.

bornadog
06-09-2016, 05:06 PM

It is the way the AFEL stage manage the whole process. Griffen should have won it in his yera as should Bonti and now Daniel.

Daniel was exceptional this year ranked number one for Kicks and disposals, as well as number one for disposal efficiency. His influence on games was unbelievable. Played consistently throughout the year. If Mills was so good, how did he not get a nomination till round 16. You look at his numbers before then and he was poor. Dunkley played better than he did in those rounds. Yes he played well in the last 6 or 8 games.

It is no coincidence that Swans and Brisbane have something like 8 winners between them in 22 years of the rising star award. - Total Joke.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Don't really care for the award. We got Caleb, that's reward enough. Kid is a super player and will be for a very long time

This. We won the Caleb Daniel at pick 46 award.

Also congratulations to Jacob Hopper for winning the 2017 nab Rising Star award

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/GWSGiants/Player%20Profiles/2016%20-%20Profiles/HOPPER%20Jacob.png

It'll be nail biting waiting to see which week the media are given the word to start pumping him up as the winner.

We ought to have a sweep. The winner can tell us who wins the 2018 NAB Rising star.

It is the way the AFEL stage manage the whole process. Daniel was exceptional this year ranked number one for Kicks and disposals, as well as number one for disposal efficiency. His influence on games was unbelievable. Mills picked up all the cheapies defending.

It is no coincidence that Swans and Brisbane have something like 8 winners between them in 22 years of the rising star award. - Total Joke.

He really stood up when we were under injury distress. He played some of his best games when we were short handed.

ratsmac
06-09-2016, 05:13 PM
If runner-up you end up with a Bontempelli rather than the first place Lewis Taylor (who), I'll take the runner-up thanks.

Mills is a deserving winner but so would Caleb have been.

bornadog
06-09-2016, 05:14 PM
If runner-up you end up with a Bontempelli rather than the first place Lewis Taylor (who), I'll take the runner-up thanks.

Mills is a deserving winner but so would Caleb have been.

Who would you have Mills or Darcy Moore?

chef
06-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Great effort from Caleb coming a close second, what a great pick from Dalrymple.

Not sure about the conspiracy theory, Mills is a pretty good player and worthy winner.

chef
06-09-2016, 05:26 PM

If I was picking it'd be Weitering or Moore over Mills, not that they've been better this season but quality talls are like hens teeth.

Webby
06-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Well done Caleb Daniel. He joins an illustrious list of Bulldogs AFL Rookie of the Year runners up:

Chris Grant (1990 to Anthony Bannick)
Marcus Bontempelli (2014 to Lewis Taylor)

Note: both Bont and Granty run rings around their respective winners. Here's to Caleb doing the same to Mills in the ensuing years!

1eyedog
06-09-2016, 06:21 PM

Moore by a fair margin.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 06:24 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. The Mills kid can play a bit

Sedat
06-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Well done Caleb Daniel. He joins an illustrious list of Bulldogs AFL Rookie of the Year runners up:

Chris Grant (1990 to Anthony Bannick)
Marcus Bontempelli (2014 to Lewis Taylor)

Note: both Bont and Granty run rings around their respective winners. Here's to Caleb doing the same to Mills in the ensuing years!
Griffen to Deledio as well in 2005 - give me Griffen's first 10 years over the seagull at Punt Rd

LostDoggy
06-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Well done Caleb on such a stellar year.
All the enjoyment and excitement that you have given us as supporters throughout the year has been unparrellel in your commitment,class,skill and spunk.
In my eyes and a hell of a lot of others and not just doggies supporters you aren't a Rising Star-
You are already a fully fledged Star of AFL.

azabob
06-09-2016, 08:07 PM

Darcy Moore ahead of all the nominees without doubt.

jeemak
06-09-2016, 08:54 PM
There's no conspiracy, the AFL is genuinely biased towards the northern states (particularly NSW) and will do whatever they can to promote the teams within in them at the expense of Victorian based clubs. It's just some Victorian clubs wear the burden more heavily than others.

If it was a conspiracy the AFL would be secretive about it. But they aren't.

Mills is a worthy winner. He will be a good player. Caleb would have been a worthy winner, and will be a good player. The disappointing thing is the latter never really stood a chance once Mills started earning some press and was eventually nominated as there wasn't a balanced discussion within the media which is also biased towards NSW, in line with what the AFL demands of it.

Is it more alarming that one out of ten judges was silly enough to pick Daniel, or that in such a statistically tight race only one in ten judges considered an even spread of candidates? The plunge on Mills was telling as well. If the award was merit based and transparent then the disparity in winning odds would have been much smaller.

Once you have AFL head office types betting on the award alongside hand picked head office sympathisers it's a fait accompli that an outcome favourable to the objectives of head office will be realised. This type of thinking is not paranoid, nor is it unreasonable especially considering other areas of the competition are geared in a similar fashion. It's almost unreasonable to think the Rising Star award would be a transparent and merit based outcome, because virtually nothing in the AFL is actually transparent or merit based.

LostDoggy
06-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Darcy Moore ahead of all the nominees without doubt.

I reckon if all the nominees were back on the market in a draft the first 4 taken would be (in order) Wright, Petracca, Moore, Weitering then the mids.

FrediKanoute
06-09-2016, 09:38 PM
I reckon if all the nominees were back on the market in a draft the first 4 taken would be (in order) Wright, Petracca, Moore, Weitering then the mids.

Disagree. Petracca has shown glimpses and I think he will struggle longer term. has a bit of the Vespremi's about him - unable to consistently dominate - Moore for mine would be number 1; then Wright at 2.

Twodogs
06-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Petracca is getting over a pretty big knee. It knocked him out virtually from the first training session of the year until early this year. That's a lot of ground to pick up for such a young draftee.

soupman
07-09-2016, 12:07 AM

I'd almost do the reverse. Moore is the one who can and will do it all unfortunately. Weitering is next best. Wright and Petracca can be swapped around depending on needs, both will be very good.

I'm disappointed for Daniel but really to finish second in what was a pretty strong field is a good result, and Mills will be a very good player.

LostDoggy
07-09-2016, 12:31 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-06/the-stats-files-rating-2016s-rising-star-contenders

(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-06/the-stats-files-rating-2016s-rising-star-contenders)
Petracca is getting over a pretty big knee. It knocked him out virtually from the first training session of the year until early this year. That's a lot of ground to pick up for such a young draftee.

Agreed. Most really underrate Petracca's achievements this year. The above article makes some interesting points (AFL rankings rate Petracca the most influential rookie of the year in terms of points earned per game, although Daniel accumulated most points overall, Petracca 2nd, then Wright, then Mills).

ratsmac
07-09-2016, 05:42 PM

I'd definitely take Moore. I'm still upset that the pies still went for him after we put a bid in for him. He's a gun.

Twodogs
07-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I'd definitely take Moore. I'm still upset that the pies still went for him after we put a bid in for him. He's a gun.

We did too, dammit. Damn them.

That would have been sweet. Darcy Moore in our colours

hujsh
07-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Yeah, we could use another ruckman

KT31
07-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Him and Picken in our team would be too much pleasure playing against the pies.

Twodogs
07-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Him and Picken in our team would be too much pleasure playing against the pies.

We could have even got Cam Wight back to do a lap of the ground before the game.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
The runner up, best on ground!

Axe Man
08-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Cameron Ling was right!

Greystache
08-09-2016, 11:41 PM
I'm sure Mills, the midfielder who couldn't get a game in the midfield, will be just as damaging as BOG Caleb.

KT31
08-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Celeb was ineligible to win the Rising Star, because he already is an Absolute Star.

Sedat
09-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Cameron Ling was right!
4 words I never, ever thought I'd agree with!

Doc26
09-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Celeb was ineligible to win the Rising Star, because he already is an Absolute Star.

You're right KT, he's surely ineligible when he's already risen.

jeemak
09-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Caleb can do it all with ball in hand, or almost in hand. He is a marvel and will be in the top ten players in the competition soon.

He's already figured it out, and while his natural talent was able to carry him through the juniors, the uploading of information he's going to receive alongside the training and conditioning he'll receive in the coming years will make him unstoppable.

It will only take two years.

LostDoggy
09-09-2016, 07:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ55RMKIgJI

It is amazing how many goals were directly attributable to CDs smarts and ability last night. Official stats credit him with 5 goal assists whereas no other player had more than 1. Biggest game of his career and he takes it to another level - he has the rare attributes of a champion.