PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer can dominate Docklands like Gary Ablett did at the MCG

bornadog
31-03-2016, 11:03 AM
link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/jake-stringer-can-dominate-docklands-like-gary-ablett-did-at-the-mcg/news-story/0d5e73c69f093d3078071aca6b3c13d7)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/429cc662f9b41fbec4beac2e63686fa6?width=650

EMERGING superstar Jake Stringer is fast becoming King of the Docklands, just as Gary Ablett Sr once ruled the MCG.
Etihad Stadium has become the Western Bulldogs’ secret weapon after a 10-game winning streak at the venue with an average margin of 49 points.
Stringer, 21, has kicked two bags of five goals and three bags of four at Etihad.
Ablett dominated at the MCG with 291 goals in 55 games, an incredible strike rate that included nine goals in a losing Grand Final side and a bag of 14.

Two of Stringer’s five goals on Sunday at Etihad — where the Dogs play their next six games — drew comparisons with Ablett’s highlights reel.
An array of Geelong stars and former coaches agreed Stringer’s hunched shoulders, awesome power and ability to burst from a pack into space reminded them of Ablett’s marauding presence.

He is a super-impressive player. He has a long way to go but he has those characteristics — the strong trunk and strong legs.
“He can do anything on either side, he can play big or small and you can see why there are those comparisons.
“He is an excitement machine. Stringer and Ablett had those things — the ability to turn a game, to bust through a pack and kick a goal.”
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/05df4f540f3581596366f83dc7e55e9a?width=650
Former Cats defender Tim McGrath played five seasons with Ablett.
“(Stringer) has that X factor about him, the unpredictability Gazza had. The freaks have that,” he said.
“He’s got that similar physique, the hunched shoulders.
“Those blokes see the game half a step in front of anyone else, put the hammer down and get out of a tight situation.
“They are supreme athletes. They seem to be able to do that stuff with supreme ease.”
Former Geelong coach Gary Ayres, whose ability as a player to excel in heavy traffic was legendary, said Stringer needed to perform for a decade to get near Ablett.

“With that explosive speed and hunched shoulders you could say yes, but Jake is in his third year,” Ayres said.
“For Stringer to be able to work out how good he can be, that’s the unknown.
“There were games where I was coach where you only had to get the ball in a reasonable proximity and it was guaranteed Gary would do something special.
“We want players who mesmerise the opposition and crowd and it’s Gary, its Buddy Franklin, it’s Jake Stringer.”

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2acf0c15ea7fb03bdab43e4a7e6c3649?width=650

The Dogs clearly thrive on the fast Docklands track, but their success at the ground is about more than high scores.

Luke Beveridge’s side has kept rivals to a miserly 60.7 points for in its 10-game streak, piling on an average of 109.6 points.
The club’s dashing defenders slingshot the ball from the defensive 50m into the forward 50m nearly one in three times (29.8 per cent), a massive number compared to the AFL average.

The club’s possession, clearance and inside-50 differential are all dominant at the ground.

DANGER MAN
Jake Stringer in the Dogs’ 10 straight Etihad Stadium wins 2015

Rd9: Did not play
Rd12: 5.0
Rd13: 0.2
Rd14: 3.0
Rd17: 1.3
Rd18: 4.2
Rd19: 4.4
Rd20: 4.0
Rd22: 1.2
Rd1: 5.1

bornadog
31-03-2016, 11:40 AM
It is worth going to the footy, just to see this bloke.

lemmon
31-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Looked to have his set shot kicking right on the weekend too. We love the flash stuff but if he's kicking 4.1 from 5 shots rather than 3.2 he becomes a far better player

ratsmac
31-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I love Jake and he is getting better every game but he has a fair way to go to match Gary Ablett snr. How many times I saw Ablett destroy a team virtually on his own.

Jake certainly has something very very special though and the way he is tracking this isn't the last time we will be visiting this thread.

jeemak
31-03-2016, 12:21 PM
It's hard to compare him to GAS because the game's so different compared to how it was in 80-90's.

With the constraints on space in the modern game (unless a team is on the break) players are up against it to find room to move. Jake does this better than anyone.

Ozza
31-03-2016, 12:25 PM
With all this hype...he's odds-on to not kick a goal this week!

bornadog
31-03-2016, 12:32 PM
With all this hype...he's odds-on to not kick a goal this week!

He seems to be a fairly level headed bloke and doesn't get carried away with all the hype (I hope :D )

Murphy'sLore
31-03-2016, 12:36 PM
He knows exactly how good he is!

Greystache
31-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I love Jake and he is getting better every game but he has a fair way to go to match Gary Ablett snr. How many times I saw Ablett destroy a team virtually on his own.

Jake certainly has something very very special though and the way he is tracking this isn't the last time we will be visiting this thread.

Jake's a long way ahead of Ablett at the same age. Ablett had barely established himself as a senior player by the time Stringer was All Australian, and at Jake's age now Ablett kicked a career best 33 goals.

Obviously Stringer will have to improve rapidly to match Ablett's career trajectory, but at this stage the comparison is more than fair.

1eyedog
31-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Yeah he would eat this coverage up. Loved how Bevi isolated him on Sunday. You could smell the fear of of that loan Docker on him. Brilliant.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 02:25 PM
He is very hard to match up on due to size and physical strength. Most teams don't have a good sized second fullback. So what do you do, match up on a massive Tom Boyd or put your best FB on Stringer.

Bulldog Revolution
31-03-2016, 03:16 PM
He is very hard to match up on due to size and physical strength. Most teams don't have a good sized second fullback. So what do you do, match up on a massive Tom Boyd or put your best FB on Stringer.

The bigs cant go with him on the ground, and the smalls cant go with him in the air

soupman
31-03-2016, 04:21 PM
The bigs cant go with him on the ground, and the smalls cant go with him in the air

I think it's more the big's can't go with him on the ground, and the smalls get brushed aside by him on the ground. His strength is his mix of power, speed and confidence to use both.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2016, 04:23 PM
And soon the bigs won't be able to go with him in the air either.
No one will be able to go with him anywhere.
Try to match him with pace he'll out muscle you.
Try to out muscle him, he'll kill you with pace. (and he'll out muscle you anyway.)

Try to match him for like, he'll out jump you, out sizzle you, out freak you, out everything you.

Boy I'm looking forward to watching his whole career.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Try to out muscle him, he'll kill you with pace. (and he'll out muscle you anyway.)

Try to match him for like, he'll out jump you, out sizzle you, out freak you, out everything you.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEB0tSkwBns

SonofScray
31-03-2016, 06:41 PM

That of itself is grounds for the comparisons with GOD. Forget about the actual output and stats over a career, what he is able to do with the footy, and without is something people want to see and love being thrilled by. I know the Package was just an over the top call by the Bristle but there is a reason it has stuck.

It is a joy to watch him play.

ratsmac
31-03-2016, 07:54 PM

I take it your a fan DD.

Aren't we all just! I love love it when you see him lurking around the pack waiting to either pounce on the ball then stroll out the pack and kick a freak goal, or pounce on some poor bloke with it and drive him into the ground.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Enjoy

Thank you BAD. Amazing how often he basically beats the entire backline.

Flamethrower
31-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Jakey already has the Yablett moves....just witness his 2 goals against Freo when he flew above the pack then kicked the goal off the ground, and later bursting through the pack and snapping across his body on the left foot. To complete the package (pun intended) Jake needs to dominate a finals series (see G Ablett 1989), have a few 10+ goal games, and regularly sit on other player's heads. Jake has almost taken a few hangers - Ablett did it almost every week.

lemmon
31-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah he would eat this coverage up. Loved how Bevi isolated him on Sunday. You could smell the fear of of that loan Docker on him. Brilliant.

Was it Bevo or did Stringer do it himself I wonder. There was one point in the third where he was telling guys to get out of the forward 50 and leave him the space

Twodogs
31-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Can Jake kick a ton? I know the game is different but Bevo has displayed a willingness to isolate Jake in the forward 50 and let him work his magic.

azabob
31-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Was it Bevo or did Stringer do it himself I wonder. There was one point in the third where he was telling guys to get out of the forward 50 and leave him the space

I saw that also Lemmon.

Twodogs
31-03-2016, 11:42 PM

Bevo is big on players making moves themselves. Maybe Jake just knew he was 'on' and took upon himself to get everyone out of his way,

NoseBleed
01-04-2016, 02:32 AM
Love watcing him play. It's like he prefers a couple of opponents so he can embarress them.

Ozza
01-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Can Jake kick a ton? I know the game is different but Bevo has displayed a willingness to isolate Jake in the forward 50 and let him work his magic.

1 per quarter...for 25 games.

Easy!

100th at the 25 minute mark of the Grand Final.

kruder
01-04-2016, 05:22 PM

The writing was on the wall after his first possession and goal against Hawthorn in a NAB game. I remember jumping off the couch and he has just got more ridiculous since. The media is well and truly on board and a few seasons too late in regards to the Ablett comparisons. IMO Stringer and the BONT will end up the best few Bulldogs players of all time. Mention either and I cant hide my excitement we are very lucky indeed....

bornadog
01-04-2016, 06:00 PM
The writing was on the wall after his first possession and goal against Hawthorn in a NAB game. I remember jumping off the couch and he has just got more ridiculous since. The media is well and truly on board and a few seasons too late in regards to the Ablett comparisons. IMO Stringer and the BONT will end up the best few Bulldogs players of all time. Mention either and I cant hide my excitement we are very lucky indeed....

He kicked some brilliant goals v Saints - round 20 2014. This one was a ripper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMmTdLdqMjc

bornadog
01-04-2016, 06:01 PM
and this one even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_Mdh_q5mQ

westdog54
01-04-2016, 06:29 PM
The first one was sheer arrogance. The second made a mockery of the Saints defence.

1eyedog
01-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Even better if he gets to make his own calls!

Twodogs
01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Its funny. As soon as I started playing those clips people came from everywhere saying "Oh, Jake Stringer! Is there anymore?"

hujsh
01-04-2016, 08:26 PM
He kicked some brilliant goals v Saints - round 20 2014. This one was a ripper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMmTdLdqMjc

https://j.gifs.com/mZNk3G.gif

Just made this and I could watch it all day

Twodogs
01-04-2016, 08:32 PM
https://j.gifs.com/mZNk3G.gif

Just made this and I could watch it all day

And it's like there is a little umpire waiting patiently in the corner to bounce the ball as soon as Stringer kicks a goal so they can get it to Jake quicker for us to see some more magic quicker.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Can't wait to see JSJ (Jake Stringer Junior) plat for us and then the debate around whether Jake Stringer Senior or Jake Stringer Junior is the best player of all time.

F'scary
01-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Thanks BAD, in the first one he beats 5. One trails behind as he picks up the ball, he bursts through a double tackle attempt, then runs around another tackle attempt, then manoeuvres to avoid the last tackle attempt as he shoots...GOAL!

The second, he beats 2, there are another two in the vicinity who could not move to get near him even though they are only a metre or two away. He beats 4. GOAL!

Like I said. He frequently beats basically the entire backline single handedly. the snap over his shoulder goal in the second against Freo is another example. Beats at least 4.

anfo27
02-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Love going to the footy the last few years just to see Jake put on a show. I remember the Griffen v Franklin debate early on in their careers and just thinking how lucky Hawthorn supporters were to see buddy week in and week out and just watch a champion unfold right in front of their eyes.
Now its our turn woofers! We are very very lucky and privileged to see Jake develop into one of the greats of the game and we get a show every week. If thats not awesome enough we have another potential great of the game develop right before our eyes in the Bont. There is no better time to be a bulldog then now.