PDA

View Full Version : Should Bevo get a contract Extension

bornadog
31-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Reading Tim Watson's comments (Beveridge contract doesn't need to be extended (http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/03-16/tim-watson-beveridge-contract-doesnt-need-to-be-extended#OH1OFtoil71g794Z.97)), I was thinking I agree, that it is a bit early? We went early with Macca which ended badly.

Should we wait till next year or see what happens in September and then negotiate an extension?

Mofra
31-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Coaching contracts are fairly worthless anyway.
Richmond & North have extended their coaching contracts so there's another red flag - we should avoid doing whatever the hell it is they're doing.
I actually like Carlton's approach where instead of a coaching contract they made Bolton an employee of the club.

Scraggers
31-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Definitely wait !!

Bevo is brilliant ... or seems to be brilliant. He has overseen the resurgence of our Dogs and has been instrumental in putting our best on the park. BUT, he hasn't faced adversity just yet. There is still a lot for us to learn about him. We went way too early with Macca; we were just lucky he was a man of honour and fell on his sword ... if we had to pay that payout in full it could have been very costly.

hujsh
31-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Give him all the years

F'scary
31-03-2016, 01:56 PM
It's not part of the salary cap, he can't break it and leave for another club, we can wait and then hopefully have the $$$ to retain him. I have no doubt that when his contract comes up, there will be suitors from the wealthy clubs - in fact they will sack and pay out their current coaches to get him.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Slightly of topic but not unrelated and worth mentioning for the chuckle value: Collingwood extended Buckley's contract on the strength of their 2 point win against us in the NAB Challenge.

jeemak
31-03-2016, 02:10 PM
If we think he's not appropriately rewarded based on performance to date and potential to improve then I agree we should renegotiate.

It's just a matter of updating terms with appropriate extension triggers and exit clauses. If we propose a deal that rewards him financially and locks him into our services at our discretion he can either take it or leave it.

He's reasonable enough to know he hasn't earned an extension as yet, so I don't see why he'd crack the sads if we offered him more cash and an in principle extension.