PDA

View Full Version : The number on your back.

chef
15-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Was thinking about this the other day that I've been a Dog supporter for about 35 years now and in that time I've only had 3 different numbers on my back.

7 until Hawk retired, then 3 until Chris retired and since then number 2. Hopefully I've still got a few more seasons before i have to choose a new number.

What a great group of Doggie legends

What about you guys and girls?

bulldogtragic
15-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Was thinking about this the other day that I've been a Dog supporter for about 35 years now and in that time I've only had 3 different numbers on my back.

7 until Hawk retired, then 3 until Chris retired and since then number 2. Hopefully I've still got a few more seasons before i have to choose a new number.

What a great group of Doggie legends

What about you guys and girls?

Don't have a number now. But 7 & 3 for the same legends you mention.

1eyedog
15-04-2016, 06:56 PM
No. 31 from the ages of 7-11

F'scary
15-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Too old to have a number. Wish I did.

Axe Man
15-04-2016, 07:08 PM
I have only ever had one jumper with a number on it, and that when I was a young kid - 18 for Simon 'The Pieman' Beasley.

Doc26
15-04-2016, 07:21 PM
In the 80s I had 18 (Beaser) on the old duffel coat and 2 (Jim Sewell) on my jumper.

G-Mo77
15-04-2016, 07:26 PM
I think I had a 7 when I was a kid. The jumpers I've had since had no number.

AndrewP6
15-04-2016, 07:29 PM
No number.

Twodogs
15-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Mum and dad put 24 on my first jumper for Gary Dempsey but that was torn off in disgust when he went to North and Micky Egan's #10 went on the back of my duffle coat but KT's 31 went on the back of my jumper. That was torn off in disgust when he went to Melbourne and I got #33 for Broan Royal and that stayed-I still have that jumper and nothing has been torn off on disgust but I don't wear it very often . I had #7 for a while for the Hawk (it survived him going to Fitzroy) and Scooter.

These days the jumper I mainly wear is Josh Hill's old warm up top with #31 and his name over it. I bought it from the bulldog shop for 20 bucks mainly because josh and I are the same size (or were , he's probably considerably bigger than me now. There aren't too many 55 kilo AFL players). There are a couple of google images of him wearing my top.

I have nearly 40 bulldog jumpers. I wear a few but most of them are either stored or displayed.

Twodogs
15-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Mum and dad put 24 on my first jumper for Gary Dempsey but that was torn off in disgust when he went to North and Micky Egan's #10 went on the back of my duffle coat but KT's 31 went on the back of my jumper. That was torn off in disgust when he went to Melbourne and I got #33 for Broan Royal and that stayed-I still have that jumper and nothing has been torn off on disgust but I don't wear it very often . I had #7 for a while for the Hawk (it survived him going to Fitzroy) and Scooter.

These days the jumper I mainly wear is Josh Hill's old warm up top with #31 and his name over it. I bought it from the bulldog shop for 20 bucks mainly because josh and I are the same size (or were , he's probably considerably bigger than me now. There aren't too many 55 kilo AFL players). There are a couple of google images of him wearing my top.

I have nearly 40 bulldog jumpers. I wear a few but most of them are either stored or displayed.

Rocket Science
15-04-2016, 07:45 PM
#26 Super MacPherson

Eastdog
15-04-2016, 07:53 PM
No number.

Same as well Andrew.

cinder
15-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Mine's still 3 for Chris Grant.

always right
15-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I used to have number 36 on my back a few years ago but decided it was wrong to focus on the individual rather than the team, so I had it removed.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2016, 08:12 PM
#26 Super MacPherson

Wasn't 'Super" 27?

chef
15-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Wasn't 'Super" 27?

Yep.

Twodogs
15-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Wasn't 'Super" 27?

Yep.

Sure was. I just looked up to see who he got the number off and it was no-one. Before Super wore it in 1982 Neil Bristow (the hero of Princes Park) was tge last player to wear it in 1979.

LostDoggy
15-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Had KT-31 then 7.

Flamethrower
15-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Always wore number 6.....

Charlie Sutton, George Bisset, Neil Sachse, Brad Johnson and Luke Dahlhaus.

GVGjr
15-04-2016, 09:01 PM
I can't recall having numbers on the back but I think I might have had number 2 for Bernie Quinlan when I was very young and I probably could have been talked into number 31 for Kelvin Templeton but thought better of it.

I've also tended to view those numbers over the years as lucky ones for some reason.

As a side note, I always wanted to wear number 11 (for no real reason) when playing footy but I don't think that ever happened. Just liked the look of it.

Twodogs
15-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Always wore number 6.....

Charlie Sutton, George Bisset, Neil Sachse, Brad Johnson and Luke Dahlhaus.

Crazy Horse Cowton.

SonofScray
15-04-2016, 10:13 PM
I had an old Western Police Football Club (mid week footy) jumper with Steve Kolynuik's original number on it as a kid. The next jumper my family bought was the Diamond Dog, I wanted the No. 8 on it because Danny Southern was my hero, we had the patch to sew on, but for whatever reason, probably that my parents were flat chat working and not worried about such things, it never got sewn on.

I was in my teens by the time I got my next jumper and had decided that I loved the Club and wasn't fussed about any individual player, so the absence of a number on all subsequent guernseys has remained the tradition and a symbol of Club > Individual. It has served me well through various retirements and defections.

Smads57
15-04-2016, 11:18 PM
I only ever had one jumper knitted by a relative when I was 2 years old and it had number 3 on the back - EJ

Rocket Science
15-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Wasn't 'Super" 27?

Ha. Went to edit that typo upon posting then noticed I spelled MacPherson 'McPherson'. Duly corrected the latter and promptly forgot the original number issue.

Anyway...yep, Super donned #27.

bornadog
15-04-2016, 11:43 PM
I only had one jumper and it had 3 for EJ.

My daughters first jumper had 3 for Chris Grant, then when she was older she changed it to 25 because she thought Hargrave was hot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2016, 12:32 AM
As a kid was never fortunate enough to get guernsey, but I do remember back in 78 or 79 when I was a wee lad, they came out with these really sh1tty cheap footy action figures that came with some stick on numerals, and I got a Doggies one and put on the numbers 3 and 1 for my hero KT.

1eyedog
16-04-2016, 12:47 AM
I can't recall having numbers on the back but I think I might have had number 2 for Bernie Quinlan when I was very young and I probably could have been talked into number 31 for Kelvin Templeton but thought better of it.

I've also tended to view those numbers over the years as lucky ones for some reason.

As a side note, I always wanted to wear number 11 (for no real reason) when playing footy but I don't think that ever happened. Just liked the look of it.

Ha ha yes my Tatts numbers always have 3, 7, 18, 20 (Edmond) and 31 in them. Never won more than my money back.

Scraggers
16-04-2016, 01:10 AM
7 for Dougie

Greystache
16-04-2016, 01:50 AM
I always believed you should choose a young player and back them in to become a star. I had #7 in the mid 90's when our supporters were booing West for being a squib, then changed to #36 in 2005 when I needed a new jumper and thought Harris/Lake could be a star in the making. I don't have a jumper these days but maybe I should get one with #17!

KT31
16-04-2016, 12:37 PM
First jumper had no number and then I had 31 for the great KT, but never really worried about numbers on jumpers after that.
Along the same line in was always a scurry to get your favourite players number when you played footy as a junior.
I was pretty lucky because not many Doggies supporters so I got 31 in junior footy and from memory number 7 playing for school.
Playing as an old senior up this way I wore Kretta's number 46 but that had more to do with the jumper sizes than the player.:)
Both my Pups started with 7 for Westy, then the oldest had 16 on his Doggies jumper and now it The Bonts.
The youngest went to 6 for Johnno and now has no number.

Twodogs
16-04-2016, 12:43 PM
First jumper had no number and then I had 31 for the great KT, but never really worried about numbers on jumpers after that.
Along the same line in was always a scurry to get your favourite players number when you played footy as a junior.
I was pretty lucky because not many Doggies supporters so I got 31 in junior footy and from memory number 7 playing for school.
Playing as an old senior up this way I wore Kretta's number 46 but that had more to do with the jumper sizes than the player.:)
Both my Pups started with 7 for Westy, then the oldest had 16 on his Doggies jumper and now it The Bonts.
The youngest went to 6 for Johnno and now has no number.

The lad with no number.

I always tried to get 16 when I played. Birthday. Can't remember having it on a bulldog jumper but I can remember every 16 since Denis Blair. If the game has started already when I get there then the first thing I have to do is find #16.

Mantis
16-04-2016, 12:44 PM
I started with 10, then 33 and finished with 15.

I haven't worn a footy jumper since a certain day in '97.. The next time I'll wear one is on GF day.

Twodogs
16-04-2016, 12:47 PM
BTW speaking of numbers this hasn't had a link for a while. A list of every Footscray/WB player number since 1925:

http://www.fnwb.com.au/footscray-players/footscray-numbers-1925-2009/

It stopped being maintained a few years ago but it's still an excellent resource.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2016, 01:23 PM
I have thought for a while I had 26 as a kid but after some investigation it was 28 for Johnny Clegg then Charlie Evans. I don't know why I thought I wore 26....I was born on the 26th but that couldn't be the reason....surely..:o

1eyedog
16-04-2016, 04:41 PM
I started with 10, then 33 and finished with 15.

I haven't worn a footy jumper since a certain day in '97.. The next time I'll wear one is on GF day.

The Bald Eagle?

HOSE B ROMERO
16-04-2016, 04:54 PM
No. 31 from the ages of 7-11

No 31? Anthony Darcy or Robert Semmens?

1eyedog
16-04-2016, 05:11 PM
No 31? Anthony Darcy or Robert Semmens?

Peter Street ;)

HOSE B ROMERO
16-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Peter Street ;)

That would be Constable Street to you lad ;);)

Daughter of the West
16-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Peter Street ;)

My sister's jumper is signed by one Constable Street! She's got 22, for Wally Donald and arguably a young Bob Murphy.

I've never got around to putting a number on mine.

Ozza
18-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Had a #7 for Dougie Hawkins in the late 80s/early 90s.

Got my son a jumper for his 4th birthday and he wanted '4' because he was 4....I thought that was a pretty safe choice!

craigsahibee
18-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Started off with #3 for EJ as an infant.

First of the Brandella 70's/80/s style had #35 for Wheels.

Next one was #7 for Dougie.

My next jumper was the white Robodog model. Opted for Westy's #7 with that one. Mind you I was way too old to be wearing footy jumpers at this time.

Before we switched back to the current day hoops I found a V neck woollen version on e-bay. Snagged it for $50 and supposedly is signed by Peter Box. I picked this up only weeks before Charlie Sutton passed away so in honour of the great man, I had a number 6 put on it. One of the old style foam ones too. I went to one of those clothes alteration places at the local shopping centre and asked the staff there if they could sew on a Number 6, she said no because they only had a number 4 and, wait for it, a number 9.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Started off with #3 for EJ as an infant.

First of the Brandella 70's/80/s style had #35 for Wheels.

Next one was #7 for Dougie.

My next jumper was the white Robodog model. Opted for Westy's #7 with that one. Mind you I was way too old to be wearing footy jumpers at this time.

Before we switched back to the current day hoops I found a V neck woollen version on e-bay. Snagged it for $50 and supposedly is signed by Peter Box. I picked this up only weeks before Charlie Sutton passed away so in honour of the great man, I had a number 6 put on it. One of the old style foam ones too. I went to one of those clothes alteration places at the local shopping centre and asked the staff there if they could sew on a Number 6, she said no because they only had a number 4 and, wait for it, a number 9.
'...way too old to be wearing footy jumpers at this time.'

Sacrilegious! Never too old too wear a footy jumper. ;)

HOSE B ROMERO
23-04-2016, 06:24 PM
My sister's jumper is signed by one Constable Street! She's got 22, for Wally Donald and arguably a young Bob Murphy.

I've never got around to putting a number on mine.

22 for Wally Donald.. is this an old jumper or a more recent one?

Daughter of the West
23-04-2016, 07:30 PM
22 for Wally Donald.. is this an old jumper or a more recent one?

Recent-ish, it's probably about ten years old. It's one of those knitted type ones, rather than the newfangled wick-the-sweat-away-count-your-heart rate-read-your-star-sign type ones.