PDA

View Full Version : Punching players in the ribs/guts is fair game in the modern game.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 10:12 PM
I banged on this a bit last year, but I don't get why punching an opponent in the guts off the direct play is now fair game. Commentators, today the genius Lethal Matthews was saying a $1,000 fine was sufficient for striking a player in the abdomen/ribs/guts who fell to the ground in pain.

I really don't understand why the AFL is allowing this, and why the media seem to think it's ok. It's virtually a small tax that cashed up players can choose to pay if they want too. Is striking no longer striking, or does striking have to be to the head? In the sanitised, politically correct pitch the AEFL is making to soccer parents about how our game is safe and won't get hurt why are they allowing this? What should kids think?

More so, if our players or the club have some extra cash, should they be making use of tactic to wind or take players out at key contests? All the club or they need to do is put a $1,000 in the AFL slush fund after the game/win. Frankly, in a really close game towards the end of the game, if our players can get away with it why shouldn't they do it? It's now no longer morally, ethically problematic as its AFL sanctioned, and it's not a suspendable act as its AFL (review panel) sanctioned.

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:14 PM
BT you know the AFL is weak as piss.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 10:21 PM
BT you know the AFL is weak as piss.

I do. So we get into another prelim, it's less than a goal. There's a crucial stoppage, their best midfielder looks to be in an umpires blind spot. Why not strike them as hard as possible, take them out of the contest, win the game. Claim insufficient force before the GF and if need be do what Sydney did in 1996 and get a Supreme Court injunction to get the tribunal delayed?

Or even in every home and away game? If it's a crucial contest, and a $1,000 fine... Why shouldn't the coaches and club endorse it and instruct it? 4 premiership points or $1,000. It's now legal and within the rules to take a player out for money, why not do it?

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:24 PM
I think the AFL should be increasing all the penalties and really hitting hard (no pun intended). Stomach punch, automatic 2 weeks, that will stop it.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 10:35 PM
I think the AFL should be increasing all the penalties and really hitting hard (no pun intended). Stomach punch, automatic 2 weeks, that will stop it.

As you say they're weak as piss. So hypothetically, this week against North, it's close near the end. Say 30 seconds. There's a stoppage contest up North's end, Picken can smash Boomer in the ribs and take him out for the remaining 30 seconds without a free seen by the umpires. We secure the win, take the 4 points and take top spot. It only costs 'Marcus' (FFS Tony Shaw, it's been 10 years) $1,000. I think we'd be crazy not to instruct the players to take the shot, it's fair game now and it only costs a $1,000. I'm not saying it fits in my moral compass, but my moral compass has nothing to do with it. Our boys can once again shop early, shop late or shop when they want for a very small fee.

LostDoggy
25-04-2016, 11:07 PM
As you say they're weak as piss. So hypothetically, this week against North, it's close near the end. Say 30 seconds. There's a stoppage contest up North's end, Picken can smash Boomer in the ribs and take him out for the remaining 30 seconds without a free seen by the umpires. We secure the win, take the 4 points and take top spot. It only costs 'Marcus' (FFS Tony Shaw, it's been 10 years) $1,000. I think we'd be crazy not to instruct the players to take the shot, it's fair game now and it only costs a $1,000. I'm not saying it fits in my moral compass, but my moral compass has nothing to do with it. Our boys can once again shop early, shop late or shop when they want for a very small fee.

Love the idea BT but why stop at that little runt Harvey.
We could be snipping all game.
That prick Waite,Quiche Higgins and that shit stain Thomas.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 11:20 PM

And that's the thing, we could. All we have to do is crowd the contest, busy and block each other, get a third man up to drag the umpires eyes further up at the ruck contest and shop, shop, shop all the main players (like the end of The Godfather Part 1). Take the win, put a few thousand in the AFEL kitty and move to next week. I don't like it at all, not one bit, but that's within the rules now and Hawthorn seem to have several blokes doing it in different ways and getting nominal fines. So if you can't beat them, join them (and then punch & beat them in the ribs or guts).

Sedat
25-04-2016, 11:21 PM
I'd rather see Brad Boyd do it, or even Jesse Stringer.

Twodogs
25-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I do. So we get into another prelim, it's less than a goal. There's a crucial stoppage, their best midfielder looks to be in an umpires blind spot. Why not strike them as hard as possible, take them out of the contest, win the game. Claim insufficient force before the GF and if need be do what Sydney did in 1996 and get a Supreme Court injunction to get the tribunal delayed?

Or even in every home and away game? If it's a crucial contest, and a $1,000 fine... Why shouldn't the coaches and club endorse it and instruct it? 4 premiership points or $1,000. It's now legal and within the rules to take a player out for money, why not do it?

Which Brad Boyd? We have two now.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 11:25 PM

Not Jesse, we need him too much. Knowing our luck it would be the week the review and tribunal would change everything and hand out 12 weeks like Curley. So maybe Brad could be the guy...

SonofScray
25-04-2016, 11:25 PM
They aren't interested in the concepts of sportsmanship and fair play, only the "look" of it from a brand perspective. The amount of posturing and devious, cowardly play in the game is shameful. No one is prepared to call it out in the media and the AFL won't go near it because they can't be bothered, or don't want to risk any precedents that might see a star player miss out.

Two elements of the system that I think have had a negative impact:

1. Hysteria over the head being sacrosanct: players can be rubbed out / fined for incidental contact in execution of legal skills in the game. It throws the remaining reportable behaviours out of whack, especially when they are remiss to ever label anything intentional. Obviously we want to limit the risk of broken necks, concussions etc, but they haven't achieved this particularly well.

2. Punishment is tied to the presence of an injury to the opposing player. They try to say it doesn't, but it is very often the case. Whether or not I punch someone and break their nose, or attempt to pinch someone and miss, or punch someone who suffers no ill effects shouldn't really matter. Punching someone is not a skill of the game. Both are reportable and should involve suspensions.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Look how during the big brawl, Port V Geelong, BT is calling strikes cute names like ' jumperies' and giving it all the colourful names of a schoolyard fight. Clearly he loves it. The league will dish out a big fine, but in that sort of situation the commentary should just stop.

LostDoggy
26-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Not Jesse, we need him too much. Knowing our luck it would be the week the review and tribunal would change everything and hand out 12 weeks like Curley. So maybe Brad could be the guy...

Or Jed?

Testekill
27-04-2016, 09:29 PM
It's no coincidence that the first goal in the Hawks game came after Burchill punched Roughead in the guts.

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 08:23 AM
And that's the thing, we could. All we have to do is crowd the contest, busy and block each other, get a third man up to drag the umpires eyes further up at the ruck contest and shop, shop, shop all the main players (like the end of The Godfather Part 1). Take the win, put a few thousand in the AFEL kitty and move to next week. I don't like it at all, not one bit, but that's within the rules now and Hawthorn seem to have several blokes doing it in different ways and getting nominal fines. So if you can't beat them, join them (and then punch & beat them in the ribs or guts).

Thomas is the one to go after like this. First quarter.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Id put down the deposit for whomever does it. I'd be happy to help Picko out with Boomer too.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Would it be legal to wear some sort of protector, very light, made of some stiff material to protect against these coward gut punches?

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Would it be legal to wear some sort of protector, very light, made of some stiff material to protect against these coward gut punches?

The main other sport who seem to allow striking without real consequence is ice hockey, and they have chest guards. So why not?

Twodogs
28-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Superglue. Then after the punch when his fist and the hand he grabbed your jumper with is stuck to the front of your jumper all you have to do is walk over to the umpire and say "what about this?"

Happy Days
28-04-2016, 12:03 PM

Wouldn't waste our collective energy, Thomas has been trash this year.

craigsahibee
28-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Don't let that sniping piece of shite Firritto go without a whack or two. He's one of their worst offenders along with that talentless flog Thompson. How he is not still eating through a straw is testament to just how good a bloke Barry Hall is.

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't waste our collective energy, Thomas has been trash this year.

Watch us work him back into form. They'd be one down on their rotations anyway.

Twodogs
28-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Watch us work him back into form. They'd be one down on their rotations anyway.

I've been wondering how important rotations are without the sub and the limit on interchange. After we lost a couple to injury on Saturday night I kept thinking to myself "when are Carlton going to run us around and exploit their advantage?" before remembering that we have a cap on interchange now.

LostDoggy
28-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Don't let that sniping piece of shite Firritto go without a whack or two. He's one of their worst offenders along with that talentless flog Thompson. How he is not still eating through a straw is testament to just how good a bloke Barry Hall is.

Spot on C.
How could I forget those two Spud Floggs!!!

bulldogtragic
29-04-2016, 08:57 PM
They've already got us twice, falling our guys to the ground. It's within the rules now.

Murphy'sLore
29-04-2016, 09:40 PM
And someone's given Libba a corky -- absolutely deliberate.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2016, 09:44 PM
And someone's given Libba a corky -- absolutely deliberate.

This is what the AFL want. We are very polite compared to them. Maybe too polite.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Old Pete is at it again

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-03/tummy-taps-on-the-rise

everyone say hello Peter

BT are you Peter Ryan? If not you should seriously apply for a job at AFL.com.au

bulldogtragic
03-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Old Pete is at it again

everyone say hello Peter

Hi Peter. All I've ever asked of the various media folks is to reference the actual source, being WOOF. Come on already.

bornadog
03-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Old Pete is at it again

everyone say hello Peter

BT are you Peter Ryan? If not you should seriously apply for a job at AFL.com.au

AFL has to come down hard on this bullshit.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Old Pete is at it again

everyone say hello Peter

I wish!! Then I'd get paid to ramble on!!

Dear AFL.com.au - I'm happy to freelance for you. Or identity WOOF as the source. Or interview me and I will give you a quote as a source for the articles.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2016, 10:29 AM
I wish!! Then I'd get paid to ramble on!!

Dear AFL.com.au - I'm happy to freelance for you. Or identity WOOF as the source. Or interview me and I will give you a quote as a source for the articles.

C'mon Peter. Do the right thing. We know you are reading this

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Going to be interesting to see if Tom Lynch gets a suspension or fine for his gut punch which felled his opponent last night.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Tom Lynch punches a bloke in the guts to the ground. $1,500.

The AFEL are endorsing this voluntary violence tax. Parents of kids couldn't be allowed to see players get hit in the head, but they can see punching in the faces for a week (Viney) and punches week after week attracting a small fine. I advocated us doing this at the beginning of this thread, but now I'm against it. You just know when our player does it it will be 2 weeks... Like Jong.

hujsh
07-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Stop the gut punch: Time to fix the MRP (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-07/mrp-needs-to-reassess-gut-punch-sanctions)

IT'S TAKEN 18 months, but cracks have finally emerged in the AFL's new Match Review Panel system and players are exploiting them. Enough is enough.

The biggest problem is not the one-match ban offered to Geelong forward Tom Hawkins, however, despite the public outcry at what has been described as an "injustice".

The MRP's most pressing problem is the rise in aggressive punches to the guts and the inability to punish them with anything more than a fine. It's become a blight on the game and it has to change at the end of the season.

The issue has been put under the spotlight in the most controversial week of match review findings since football operations manager Mark Evans successfully revamped the system ahead of the 2015 season.

Hawkins' cuff to the chin of Phil Davis has been debated next to Gold Coast star Tom Lynch's full-blooded punch to the stomach of opponent Jeremy Laidler, and the penalties don't add up.

If Geelong had the will to challenge the Hawkins ban it could have. It was burdened, however, by the significant risk of a second match on the sidelines for its leading goalkicker.

But there is no means to correct a poor outcome on Lynch, whose punch was described by his coach as "totally undisciplined from a leader".

"It's not acceptable, it's not acceptable, especially as a leader," Rodney Eade said on Saturday night.

"With two minutes to go, nothing in the game, you can't get frustrated like that."

Financial sanctions are not changing player behaviour, and it should be said the panel made up of former players Chris Knights, Jason Johnson, Michael Christian and Nathan Burke had no choice but to fine Lynch.

As such, it is time for the MRP to make all intentional strikes punishable with suspension, or remove one of the two chances players are given.

This was Lynch's second offence this season and he will be suspended for one match if he commits the same offence again in the final 12 rounds.

Knowing that, the gun forward won't err again. He knows he'll risk suspension, just as he knew in the final two minutes of Saturday night's clash against the Sydney Swans that he could belt Laidler with no threat of a week on the sidelines.

So how can the MRP be fixed without going too far and again putting players on the sidelines for minor offences?

The AFL has two options. Firstly, it can make all intentional strikes punishable with at least a one-match suspension.

Right now, intentional strikes to the body with low impact receive a $1000 fine for a first offence and a $1500 fine for a second offence.

The third time a player 'strikes' they are suspended for one match.

The AFL has collected $37,000 in fines for low-level offences this season, with 13 players committing intentional, low impact strikes to the body.

The League could remove the two chances players get and still have the 'out' of clearing a player if there was insufficient force in the strike to constitute a report.

The second and less drastic option is scaling back the two chances players are given to one.

There are repeat offenders already under the new system, but right now they get two free 'whacks' and no one has yet committed a third.

If a player misses a final for committing his second 'tummy tap' in a season, he'll only have himself to blame.

Better yet, make all intentional strikes punishable with suspension and watch the trend disappear completely from the game.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Well at least I know some people are reading this thread now! All that needs to happen is a camera crew doing Vox Pops with mums & dads with the questions 'Would you like to this happen to your child if they played Aussie Rules?' & 'Do you think other children will copy this behaviour because the AFEL is effectively saying this is ok and not a banning it?' & 'Is it safer for your child to play soccer?'.

Within .0000023 seconds of this being aired the AFL will change it. Until then, I hope our players aren't assaulted and injured because of this tacit approval.

SonofScray
07-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Lots of discussion about this issue today. PHIL DAVIS described the punch he copped as a "football incident'," in an effort to downplay the punch he received. Sorry mate, despite what all these fake tough guy media people think, punching your opponent is not a football play. It is not a skill of the game and should receive a suspension. Especially when real football plays which result in incidental head high contact are crucified.