PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned-V North round 6

Twodogs
29-04-2016, 03:28 PM
All we want are three things that you know now that you didn't know before the game.

Write them down and post 'em up and we'll see how many are the same.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Bump.

EasternWest
29-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I really like Ben Brown. I didn't think I did, but I do.

We never lower our eyes when we're 70-90 metres out.

The deliberate out of bounds is an absolute crapshoot. That one against the North guy just after he'd put on an incredible spoil was ridiculous.

Rance Fan
29-04-2016, 11:28 PM
We need a big key full forward especially when we bomb it long
Missed JJ and Murphs run from the back, we seemed to go sideways to much
Our skills and composure need to improve, but in all it was a good test tonight. We are not to far off it.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2016, 11:31 PM
1. This feels so bad. I want a dig hole and jump in it.
2. This will give our haters much ammo.
3. A reality check it seems.

Remi Moses
29-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Reckon we need to play another key forward
Need more composure going forward, and not bomb it.
Our effort was great, but we need to improve our field kicking under pressure

F'scary
29-04-2016, 11:46 PM
1. Adcock - just a hack - we are wasting games on him.
2. Dale - 1 season at least from a big game. How did he get a game ahead of Webb, Honeychurch or Redpath?
3 No mark forward line. Pretty embarrassing when Jong and McLean are the only guys who can contest a mark.

westbulldog
29-04-2016, 11:51 PM
There was no lack of effort but injuries have set us back.
Jake Stringer is being crucified up forward, 1 against 2, 1 against 3, get Jack Redpath in.
Bailey Dale is not yet up to it and Fletcher Roberts is just not up to it.

comrade
30-04-2016, 12:10 AM
I'll do my best Damien Barrett impersonation...

IF

people think Jack Redpath would have helped with those forward entries,

THEN

they are sadly mistaken.

--

If only we had a 200cm+ beast on our list who draws defenders and brings the ball to the ground every time...oh, wait.

GVGjr
30-04-2016, 12:13 AM
1 - Fans don't look hard enough at our inefeciencies when we win but go pretty hard at them when we lose
2 - We have a way to go to really be considered a genuine contender but we still have an exciting list
3 - We need Bontempelli and Stringer and a few others to lift soon.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2016, 12:14 AM
I'll do my best Damien Barrett impersonation...

IF

people think Jack Redpath would have helped with those forward entries,

THEN

they are sadly mistaken.

--

If only we had a 200cm+ beast on our list who draws defenders and brings the ball to the ground every time...oh, wait.

If you're really Barrett you'd be saying 'The Dogs overpaid for an untried kid who didn't even register a single mark or goal tonight. Pretty embarassing really, and you'd have to think Talia would've been the difference and Libba's issues are impacting the club. What a basket case.'

F'scary
30-04-2016, 12:15 AM
1 - Fans don't look hard enough at our inefeciencies when we win but go pretty hard at them when we lose
2 - We have a way to go to really be considered a genuine contender but we still have an exciting list
3 - We need Bontempelli and Stringer and a few others to lift soon.

Your #1 is pretty to the point.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 12:21 AM

I think that's pretty normal for fans from every club.

GVGjr
Captain's pick for a 4th point.

4 - Catching up with Bornadog made the result of the game a bit more bearable :)

Twodogs
1. Until we develop some poise, the ability to pause for a nano second and sum up a situation better we will be performing well short of our full potential.

2. If you can miss a second year third round pick player then we did. Would have loved Caleb Daniel to slow things down hit a few targets and maybe get behind the defence and kick a goal or two.

3. If Jaryd Waite had of played for us we would have won.

hujsh
30-04-2016, 12:33 AM

I think he'd have missed every shot in a Red White and Blue jumper unfortunately. Back to Waite Classic

Webby
30-04-2016, 12:34 AM
1. Tom Boyd is more important to us than many realise

2. We played poorly, yet were out scored by one shot

3. When we're fully manned, we will be dangerous. Flag dangerous

always right
30-04-2016, 12:34 AM
1. Without the run of Murph and JJ, and the absence of Suckling, we really lack good ball users who can slice an opposition apart. Really missed Caleb's poise and ball use.
2. We hardly had any clean ball going forward but we still need forwards willing to lead towards the ball carrier. To many run back towards goal inside of presenting.
3. Stringer continues to fly for ridiculous marks. He's never taken one of them so he needs to play the percentages more.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 12:36 AM
1. We are as bad a kick for goal as any team in recent history

2. Anyone who thinks we're a top 4 contender is kidding themselves.

3. Why bother working on anything when you can't convert from 10m out.

BulldogBelle
30-04-2016, 12:40 AM
1. Two big holes. One in the backline - Roberts: one in the forward line - Dale.
2. Two better players for these positions not picked at the selection table - Hamling and Redpath.
3. Injuries have taken their toll.

boydogs
30-04-2016, 12:41 AM
1. North are the real deal, they look dangerous going forward and didn't give us room to move all night

2. Stringer's game suffers when he has to be the #1 marking target

3. Hunter has taken his game to another level, going to be in Brownlow calculations if he keeps this up

SonofScray
30-04-2016, 12:42 AM
1. Injuries have killed us. Our personnel at the moment doesn't fit the men of mayhem style. We probably need to go long up the boundary more.

2. I feel like we under rate Boyd's influence inside 50. We were a tall forward short tonight. Out marked everywhere but it hurt us inside 50.

3. Our defence held up pretty well, in a McCartney Era performance.

comrade
30-04-2016, 12:43 AM

Talk about throwing the toys out of the cot.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Talk about throwing the toys out of the cot.

Not at all. Despite not improving on glaring weaknesses in 2 years I think we're going great. If we can play the bottom 6 teams every week 40 shots at goal for 15 goals is fine. You must be thrilled.

FrediKanoute
30-04-2016, 01:10 AM
1. Hunter is a gun (though sometimes his disposal could be better)
2. There is a reason for 100 years of Aussie Rules you generally have 2 big guys in defence
3. Missing set shots is costly

comrade
30-04-2016, 01:10 AM
Not at all. Despite not improving on glaring weaknesses in 2 years I think we're going great. If we can play the bottom 6 teams every week 40 shots at goal for 15 goals is fine. You must be thrilled.

We haven't improved in 2 years? Ok.

bornadog
30-04-2016, 01:12 AM
1. Teams have worked out a game plan to counter ours, so we need a plan B

2. Experienced teams can still beat inexperienced. North had 11 players with more than 150 games, and on average twice as many games per player than us.

3. We need to think about who should come in for next week as we could have a repeat performance.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:15 AM
We haven't improved in 2 years? Ok.

Glaring weaknesses, didn't think it was a covert message but if it makes it simpler- Goal kicking is pathetic, if it weren't for Dickson's accuracy we'd be the worst in recent history. Contested marking is as bad as it gets also. Perhaps it's just better to day we're 4-2 and lots of teams would kill for that.

We're grouse!!1!

comrade
30-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Glaring weaknesses, didn't think it was a covert message but if it makes it simpler- Goal kicking is pathetic, if it weren't for Dickson's accuracy we'd be the worst in recent history. Contested marking is as bad as it gets also. Perhaps it's just better to day we're 4-2 and lots of teams would kill for that.

We're grouse!!1!

Thankfully, finals spots aren't handed out in April so we have time to get 3 or 4 of our best 22 back when it matters most.

I'm not going to go down the melt down route in round 6, but certainly, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Thankfully, finals spots aren't handed out in April so we have time to get 3 or 4 of our best 22 back when it matters most.

I'm not going to go down the melt down route in round 6, but certainly, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

We need to play the top 8 teams after round 6. But we'll be grouse by then so I don't think we should worry about trying to do anything.

comrade
30-04-2016, 01:24 AM
We need to play the top 8 teams after round 6. But we'll be grouse by then so I don't think we should worry trying to do anything.

So you don't think we're trying anything to improve as a team?

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:33 AM
So you don't think we're trying anything to improve as a team?

So you think we need to improve or are we're flying because we belted 4 of the bottom 6. Seems both from from what I can tell. We're trying to improve but we don't need to??

comrade
30-04-2016, 01:43 AM
So you think we need to improve or are we're flying because we belted 4 of the bottom 6. Seems both from from what I can tell. We're trying to improve but we don't need to??

Of course there's room for improvement, please quote me where I said any different.

Obviously this loss has hit you hard and you're using sarcasm as a defense mechanism. All I'm suggesting is that you don't get so wound up by a loss in round 6 when we have best 22 players to return to the team. You'll feel much better for it.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:50 AM
Of course there's room for improvement, please quote me where I said any different.

Obviously this loss has hit you hard and you're using sarcasm as a defense mechanism. All I'm suggesting is that you don't get so wound up by a loss in round 6 when we have best 22 players to return to the team. You'll feel much better for it.

Actually I was less impressed by round 3, and wins in round 2 and 4 were underwhelming too. I thought our execution last week was terrible too. But perhaps I'd feel better to say we're grouse and I think we'll win the flag.

Flamethrower
30-04-2016, 01:55 AM
1. Tom Boyd plays, we probably win.

2. We need to get some games into "Dad".

3. Any club that needs to tell their supporters when to cheer is a fraud. Certain US teams do they same thing and it is an embarrassment.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2016, 04:10 AM
1. Without the run of Murph and JJ, and the absence of Suckling, we really lack good ball users who can slice an opposition apart. Really missed Caleb's poise and ball use.
2. We hardly had any clean ball going forward but we still need forwards willing to lead towards the ball carrier. To many run back towards goal inside of presenting.
3. Stringer continues to fly for ridiculous marks. He's never taken one of them so he needs to play the percentages more.

No way! We had our chances. Just did not convert. Stringer, Roughy the culprits. No excuses - our backline held its own.

chef
30-04-2016, 06:57 AM
1. Whoever said Hunter was better than Macrae(and got laughed at) was right.

2. JJ , Bob and Suckiling is just to much to replace off HB. No polish last night.

3. We desperately need a KPF, not sure Stringer is ever going to be one. God i prey Boyd turns out alright.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-04-2016, 07:57 AM
1. We were far too defensive with Hunter Dickson and Stringer spending inordinate periods in defence.
2. Adcock and Dale with 3 kicks between them were totally inadequate.
3. We struggle to compete now without Murph JJ Daniel Suckling Tom Boyd and Crameri against stronger opposition.
On a brighter note I thought Campbell's effort on Goldstein was tremendous.

SlimPickens
30-04-2016, 08:39 AM
1. Bailey Dale is a kid playing against men. I think he'll be a player but has a while to go.

2. We miss Caleb Daniels skills around the half forward line, his ability to hit up targets in the F50 will be a welcome return.

3. Redpath should have played over Roughead.

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 08:46 AM
1. This feels so bad. I want a dig hole and jump in it.
2. This will give our haters much ammo.
3. A reality check it seems.

Its not that bad

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 09:00 AM
1. North are the real deal, they look dangerous going forward and didn't give us room to move all night

2. Stringer's game suffers when he has to be the #1 marking target

3. Hunter has taken his game to another level, going to be in Brownlow calculations if he keeps this up
Agree with this all. They brought our pressure.

1. Whoever said Hunter was better than Macrae(and got laughed at) was right.

2. JJ , Bob and Suckiling is just to much to replace off HB. No polish last night.

3. We desperately need a KPF, not sure Stringer is ever going to be one. God i prey Boyd turns out alright.

Hunter was huge again, we need a couple more of him.

1. Bailey Dale is a kid playing against men. I think he'll be a player but has a while to go.

2. We miss Caleb Daniels skills around the half forward line, his ability to hit up targets in the F50 will be a welcome return.

3. Redpath should have played over Roughead.
Agree on Daniel but not on ruff.

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 09:06 AM

We are definitely top four contender. We have some issues to resolve but we won a lot of that game, i was waiting for a purple patch of conversion that didnt eventuate this week. We could have won. Restricted a very high scoring team with our backline depleted.

Its not that bad grey. But some changes need to happen.

whythelongface
30-04-2016, 09:22 AM
1. Missing 6 first team players from your side makes it very difficult to beat a near full strength team that is a serious flag challenger. But kudos to the boys, they hung in till the end.

2. T Boyd is very important to our structure. Without him Stringer is nowhere near as effective as the opposition's best defender lines up on him and he is often playing two on one.

3. Despite our shortcomings we are up there pushing for a top 4 spot. We may not achieve that this year (due mainly to our injuries) but we will be thereabouts.

always right
30-04-2016, 10:04 AM
No way! We had our chances. Just did not convert. Stringer, Roughy the culprits. No excuses - our backline held its own.

Our defence did a Stirling job but were not able to generate the sort of attack we've been used to. Everything seemed under pressure.

Let's be honest....the margin flattered us. It felt more like an 8 goal loss. We fumbled, made poor decisions and to top it off, butchered whatever chances we had in front of goal.....again. The fact we were able to keep the margin so modest was perhaps the only positive. In years past, that would have finished a lot uglier.

Bulldog4life
30-04-2016, 10:26 AM
. We need another tall in the forward line.
We need a better tall in the backline.
A good lesson for our youngsters...we are not far behind though.

Sedat
30-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Actually I was less impressed by round 3
Whilst I tend to agree with this statement to an extent - Hawthorn are only just going at the minute and are overrated as a 2016 team - I think the high watermak of our season so far has been the 3rd qtr against Hawthorn.

Didn't watch last night's game but the result doesn't surprise. Norf are much better than given credit for, and we have been underwhelming as a forward 50 delivery and conversion team all year. Sounds like we reverted to 'long bombs to Snake' last night, which the likes of Tarrant and Thompson would have eaten up like taking candy from a baby.

Boyd to halve those aerial contests, Daniel to distribute with precision into forward 50 and Suckers and his leg cannon to return in a month will alleviate much of what looks like went wrong last night. But we simply have to get better and cleaner at delivering into forward 50, otherwise we are not seriously in the frame for 2016

ratsmac
30-04-2016, 11:48 AM
1. Bombing the ball in the forward line doesn't work, no hang on I learnt that last week.
2. We really suffered not having our injured creative play maker type players out there tonight.
3. Our selection committee does get it wrong sometimes. Hamling is quicker, more athletic and a better spoil than Roberts IMO and would of been a better match up for Waitress (auto correct but I left it), Honeychuch is in much better form than Dale, anyone else would be better than Adcock.

Jam Donuts
30-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Number 3 even more to the point!

Ghost Dog
30-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Whilst I tend to agree with this statement to an extent - Hawthorn are only just going at the minute and are overrated as a 2016 team - I think the high watermak of our season so far has been the 3rd qtr against Hawthorn.

Didn't watch last night's game but the result doesn't surprise. Norf are much better than given credit for, and we have been underwhelming as a forward 50 delivery and conversion team all year. Sounds like we reverted to 'long bombs to Snake' last night, which the likes of Tarrant and Thompson would have eaten up like taking candy from a baby.

Boyd to halve those aerial contests, Daniel to distribute with precision into forward 50 and Suckers and his leg cannon to return in a month will alleviate much of what looks like went wrong last night. But we simply have to get better and cleaner at delivering into forward 50, otherwise we are not seriously in the frame for 2016

Yeah. With Suckling, Daniel and Boyd, plus one straight shot, we would have presumably gotten four extra goals.

Bullies
30-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Tom Boyd is more crucial to the team than he gets credit for. Opposition play the key defender on him and he often goes up against 2 defenders. Crameri is a massive lost as he could run all day and hard to match on. The new interchange rule would suit him as he has a massive tank. Dickson now gets the number 2 defender rather than the 4th of 5th best. Dale just needs game time and I would rahter see him getting experience more so than Adcock. It will click with Dale you can see he has talent and games like last night will only help him.

KT31
30-04-2016, 01:23 PM
1.Flashbacks to the McCartney era are not fun.

2.You can still lose a game when playing in perfect conditions, under a roof and restricting a very tall opposition forward line to just 61 points.

3.Matty Boyd will hang the boots up at the end of the season.

soupman
30-04-2016, 02:54 PM

The backline defensively was fine but we lacked an ability to get it out of there quickly and kick it over the top of our forwards which is where many of our goals typically come from.

With the pace and adventurous kicking of Suckling, Murphy and JJ we can't slice the zone apart as effectively or drag their defenders out of position leaving gaps.

For example usually you see the inside kick to Wood who goes on one of his runs through the middle and kicks it long into the forwardline. This didn't happen in part because we didn't have defenders that could draw the opposition and then execute the dangerous kick into that space. A such their zone was never pulled out of place enough for someone like Wood to have enough room to be a viable target for an average kick.

Having one of those guys playing would have been huge in allowing us to avoid those painful switches in the defensive 50 for no gain. Instea dour rebounds were either safe, slow and tidy or risky into the middle but not really gaining more than 30-40m meaning we couldn't break through. All the players missing are 60m+ players.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 03:09 PM
1.Flashbacks to the McCartney era are not fun.

2.You can still lose a game when playing in perfect conditions, under a roof and restricting a very tall opposition forward line to just 61 points.

3.Matty Boyd will hang the boots up at the end of the season.

Yeah but he'll have to get the tap on the shoulder to do it.

Mofra
30-04-2016, 03:12 PM
1. The first issues with Bevo's coaching have emerged. We have Roughy and Campbell in the side and only one of them can ruck at any one time so why did we often play Stringer deep or even at times (heaven forbid) Bailey Dale in a 2 on 1 scenario? Poor forward structure from a side that just needs to bring the ball to groudn and stop Thompson killing us, especially considering how often we normally kick goals from stoppages.

2. We now have an excellent opportunity to train for the post-Murphy era. As much as Adcock helps with experience he should be seen as a back-up for Matty Boyd and nobody else.

3. We just ground out a loss on the back of our worst performance for the year, missing arguably our 4 of our 5 best ball users against the undefeated top side in the competition. 12 months on we win that game, I'm convinced.
This a hurdle we a stumble over on the way to a bigger prize.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2016, 03:13 PM
[/B]

Yeah but he'll have to get the tap on the shoulder to do it.

So be it. He's a mile behind his output from last year.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 03:21 PM
1. We miss Crameri. Plain and simple no two ways about it. He's the high forward you kick the ball to and it doesn't matter how it gets there. He has all the weapons to win the contest and is probably the player we miss the most.

2. We would have won the game with Boyd (1 week away), Daniel (available), Suckers (3 weeks) and JJ (4-5 weeks). As someone mentioned finals aren't won in April. Get these guys back and lose Adcock, Roberts, Dale and Jong and we're back in business. We'll get North where it counts.

3. Stringer is turning into Liam Jones. Needs support and fast it's unfair for him to take on so much responsibility forward.

comrade
30-04-2016, 03:24 PM
3. We just ground out a loss on the back of our worst performance for the year, missing arguably our 4 of our 5 best ball users against the undefeated top side in the competition. 12 months on we win that game, I'm convinced.
This a hurdle we a stumble over on the way to a bigger prize.

Good point. It's as if some here think we should be a finished product, now.

soupman
30-04-2016, 04:25 PM
So be it. He's a mile behind his output from last year.
Statistically he is getting the ball but it's the little things which have been concerning.

Throughout his career he has always ben so clean with his hands both in the air and especially in tight and at ground level. This year on multiple occasions he has double grabbed at marks, fumbled and overrun ground balls or not caught easy handpasses often hurting us on the rebound. He is still going pretty well, but I can see him starting to decline and it's a shame Prudden is injured as I saw him filling a similar role.

always right
30-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Again it's the knock on effect of others being injured. He's being asked to do more. No one should surprised if he's dropped away slightly....it's expected. I don't think he's been so bad that it's time talk about the end of his career.

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 06:19 PM
1. We make too many unforced errors each week to be considered a top 4 team

2. Our goal kicking seems so casual. Some serious work about lining up the goals and how to kick is needed

3. Until we learn to deal with pressure and the lack of space an opposition presents us with, it won't matter if God is in the forward line. Our run through the middle was often stifled by North and by the lack of 50-60 metre pin point kickers now in the side. Good teams will keep forcing us wide and making us back track - we will have to learn how to respond more effectively.

jeemak
30-04-2016, 06:36 PM
1. Matty Boyd having to be 'the man' in the backline results in the same type of issues as when he has to be 'the man' in the midfield. He needs creative support to be effective, and he hasn't had these past couple of weeks. He'll always be prolific in gathering the football, and this exacerbates the issue

2. Teams fear us. North Melbourne put a significant amount of work into curtailing our style of play and really guarded the receiver of the second and third possessions from contests which forced us to work on top of each other and use the ball under pressure and poorly. Scott won the coaching battle this week, though that's not something that I think phases Bevo too much, as he only seems to worry about what we're doing at this point in time

3. We need Hunter, Picken and Macrae to have more of an impact forward of centre. They are doing a fantastic job of accumulating the footy in their own ways, but they need get forward and convert. This is especially important when we're going short in the forward line

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 07:29 PM
1. Matty Boyd having to be 'the man' in the backline results in the same type of issues as when he has to be 'the man' in the midfield. He needs creative support to be effective, and he hasn't had these past couple of weeks. He'll always be prolific in gathering the football, and this exacerbates the issue

2. Teams fear us. North Melbourne put a significant amount of work into curtailing our style of play and really guarded the receiver of the second and third possessions from contests which forced us to work on top of each other and use the ball under pressure and poorly. Scott won the coaching battle this week, though that's not something that I think phases Bevo too much, as he only seems to worry about what we're doing at this point in time

3. We need Hunter, Picken and Macrae to have more of an impact forward of centre. They are doing a fantastic job of accumulating the footy in their own ways, but they need get forward and convert. This is especially important when we're going short in the forward line

Difficult to know when all three played significant minutes in the back line. Daniel will assist here so will Suckling in a couple of weeks.

F'scary
30-04-2016, 07:30 PM

With respect to your point 3, I know what you are saying and it makes sense (although Macrae has never been a goal kicking mid) but I could not take arms against any of these three last night, they were brilliant.

jeemak
30-04-2016, 07:36 PM
[/B]

Difficult to know when all three played significant minutes in the back line. Daniel will assist here so will Suckling in a couple of weeks.

With respect to your point 3, I know what you are saying and it makes sense (although Macrae has never been a goal kicking mid) but I could not take arms against any of these three last night, they were brilliant.

It's how the players are used more so than the players themselves (I'm not attacking them), and a comment that players who play significant time in the midfield need to hit the scoreboard when we're playing small up forward.

Hunter in particular will round out his game perfectly if he can learn to do so more often.

F'scary
30-04-2016, 07:38 PM
It's how the players are used more so than the players themselves (I'm not attacking them), and a comment that players who play significant time in the midfield need to hit the scoreboard when we're playing small up forward.

Hunter in particular will round out his game perfectly if he can learn to do so more often.

All I meant, Jeemak, was that it would have been hard for any of them to do more last night. I wonder if one of the effects of having Murphy and JJ out of the side is that midfield goals for Hunter and Picken dry up a bit.

jeemak
30-04-2016, 08:02 PM
When we're falling over ourselves in the trenches and excellent users of the footy aren't pushing the ball forward quickly and with penetration, players like Hunter, Macrae and Picken get drawn towards our back half, for sure.

If we fix our positioning and spread then we can make it easier for players to get forward of the contest with confidence.

soupman
30-04-2016, 10:56 PM
When we're falling over ourselves in the trenches and excellent users of the footy aren't pushing the ball forward quickly and with penetration, players like Hunter, Macrae and Picken get drawn towards our back half, for sure.

If we fix our positioning and spread then we can make it easier for players to get forward of the contest with confidence.

Hunter is a different category to the others. He was clearly told to start as far back as possible and be our creative kick out of defence. We typically have three players doing this when all fit; one plays off a wing, another a high half forward and the third rolls into the backline as another running outlet. Unfortunately the other two we typically use for this are Daniel and Suckling.

jeemak
30-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Hunter is a different category to the others. He was clearly told to start as far back as possible and be our creative kick out of defence. We typically have three players doing this when all fit; one plays off a wing, another a high half forward and the third rolls into the backline as another running outlet. Unfortunately the other two we typically use for this are Daniel and Suckling.

Appreciate the insight soupaman.

I'm not sure those who've replied quite understand where I'm coming from. What I'm saying is, irrespective of what happened Friday night, we need these guys getting forward of centre and being dangerous rather than playing behind centre and not being dangerous. We'll struggle to kick goals otherwise, like we did Friday night.

It's the Three Things I Learned thread - not the Let's Critique Players Games thread - and that's what I learned.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2016, 09:30 AM
1. Bob out is starting to hurt us. The spirit wasn't there. When I watched the flow of play, we were not really attacking the contest as we usually do.
The intensity was good, but not the same as past weeks.
2. Our rucks did a good job all things considered.
3. At full strength I'm fairly certain we can get a different result

KT31
01-05-2016, 10:48 AM
1. Bob out is starting to hurt us. The spirit wasn't there. When I watched the flow of play, we were not really attacking the contest as we usually do.
The intensity was good, but not the same as past weeks.

Do you think this has anything to do with Wood as captain ?
I know Wood is vice and well respected but when you fluff the your first two kicks of the game and give away the first goal it does set a poor tone.
Don't get me wrong I do have very high regard for Wood, I just think he may be feeling the added pressure and it might have been better to leave him vice and give the job to Morris or Picken for the season.

azabob
01-05-2016, 10:52 AM
I know Wood is vice and well respected but when you fluff the your first two kicks of the game and give away the first goal it does set a poor tone.
Don't get me wrong I do have very high regard for Wood, I just think he may be feeling the added pressure and it might have been better to leave him vice and give the job to Morris or Picken for the season.

If the club didn't think Wood couldn't handle the pressure of being captain I don't think they would have made him vice captain.

1eyedog
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Wasn't that Adams?

GVGjr
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
If the club didn't think Wood couldn't handle the pressure of being captain I don't think they would have made him vice captain.

I think the players have a large say in appointments within the leadership group and wanted Wood to replace Murphy. When Wood was injured I believe Morris was selected by the players.

Wood is probably struggling just a little bit after coming back from injury and I don't think having the captaincy is an issue for him. I'm sure the players realise that they need to look at their own motivation rather than having to be inspired by the captain

Ghost Dog
01-05-2016, 12:02 PM
No I don't think it's a knock-on-Wood :D
Coming back from injury it will just take some time. The club has taken some body blows. I'm trying to account for our lack of poise.

We all feel a bit more reassured with strong leadership around. It may not have hurt motivation but it certainly can't have helped having Bob out. Inspirational acts will lift a team and there weren't really as many strong key frames in the narrative of the game to lift us. But you have down weeks and this was ours.

bornadog
01-05-2016, 01:26 PM
I think the players have a large say in appointments within the leadership group and wanted Wood to replace Murphy. When Wood was injured I believe Morris was selected by the players.

Wood is probably struggling just a little bit after coming back from injury and I don't think having the captaincy is an issue for him. I'm sure the players realise that they need to look at their own motivation rather than having to be inspired by the captain

Just on Wood, I think we are now losing a bit with his run and carry as he is forced to play tall. At times we saw him playing on guys like Petrie, but when is the last we saw him dashing down the wing bouncing the ball and kicking into the fwd 50? With JJ and Murphy out, we need him to do this and someone like Hamling to do the leaping.

lemmon
01-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Just on Wood, I think we are now losing a bit with his run and carry as he is forced to play tall. At times we saw him playing on guys like Petrie, but when is the last we saw him dashing down the wing bouncing the ball and kicking into the fwd 50? With JJ and Murphy out, we need him to do this and someone like Hamling to do the leaping.

Agree and same can be said for Biggs

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2016, 05:51 PM
What I learnt is that:
a) with our half backs fit we can more effectively set the game up - that is to state the obviously
b) Hunter back was a nice move, but we need Daniel, and perhaps Webb or Hrovat when fit to fill a wing/midfield role and provide more drive forward of centre to replace Hunters loss
c) Dickson will be better for another run, and we will be better as a result
d) Redpath would have been more use than Roberts on Friday, with Roughy able to swing back

stefoid
01-05-2016, 09:33 PM

Ill take the loss,thanks

Mantis
02-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Double post

Mantis
02-05-2016, 09:45 AM
1/ Taking out your good ball users really shows up your bad ones... Sadly for us it is almost everyone.

2/ We continue to make things difficult by not converting our chances.

3/ We show up to play every week.. That's a good thing.

Twodogs
02-05-2016, 09:48 AM
How much longer will we continue to show up if we keep getting that return on our efforts though?

Ozza
02-05-2016, 10:01 AM
1. The current team sometimes doesn't get the win, but its never through lack of effort or willingness.
2. The coaching staff have gone a bit too far with the mids-going-forward & forwards-in-the-midfield, we don't have the balance right. Far too much time with Bontempelli, Wallis & Libba forward over the last few weeks, and Stringer on ball too much also.
3. I'm still not comfortable with Roughead and Campbell playing in the same side. Neither is a good enough player for us to have 2 of them in the team.

Ozza
02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
How much longer will we continue to show up if we keep getting that return on our efforts though?

That's a strange comment if you consider that we've won more games that we've lost in the last 15 months.

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 10:17 AM
That's a strange comment if you consider that we've won more games that we've lost in the last 15 months.

I think TD is talking about Friday night and if it happens against Adelaide for example. I think also he is alluding to our morale in a general sense. Losing Murph must have been a massive hit and then losing JJ and Suckers off the half back line means everyone has to work overtime to launch any kind of attack from defence.

I don't think that level of work rate is sustainable over many weeks. We need JJ and Suckers back big time.

Twodogs
02-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I can't quote posts at the moment so In reply to Ozza, I guess it is a strange thing to say, we have had a brilliant ride over the last season and a quarter, but it's what 1eye says. I worry about how hard we labour to get the ball forward only to see easy shots missed. I saw some frustration and petulance between Footscray players on Saturday and it got me wondering.

comrade
02-05-2016, 02:30 PM
I can't quote posts at the moment so In reply to Ozza, I guess it is a strange thing to say, we have had a brilliant ride over the last season and a quarter, but it's what 1eye says. I worry about how hard we labour to get the ball forward only to see easy shots missed. I saw some frustration and petulance between Footscray players on Saturday and it got me wondering.

VFL or Bulldogs listed players?

LostDoggy
02-05-2016, 09:46 PM
I learnt that we are following in the footsteps of our 2015 season.

The Bulldogs won in rounds one, two, four and five and lost in rounds three and six, which is exactly the same pattern of wins v losses we achieved last year. We lost in round seven and nine last year and won in round eight. This week we play Adelaide (likely loss), meaning the pattern could very well continue. Interestingly our round eight and nine opponents are exactly the same two opponents we played in rounds eight and nine last year.

Twodogs
03-05-2016, 08:51 AM
2 Footscray and one bulldog player comrade.

stefoid
03-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks to some other smart posters I have learned

1) we rely more on turnovers and stoppage goals in our forward half than on quick ball movement off half back.

2) north prevented us from doing that by not rushing the ball out of their defence - they didnt score as heavily, but neither did we.

3) north prevented us from doing that also by not over committing to the contested ball that scott so loudly underlined in the media before the game - they prioritized covering our receivers (they had 97 tackles...) over winning the ball, and thus preyed on our pressured errant disposal rather than the other way around.

mitch0418
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
1. Tom Boyd plays, we probably win.

2. We need to get some games into "Dad".

3. Any club that needs to tell their supporters when to cheer is a fraud. Certain US teams do they same thing and it is an embarrassment.

What do you mean by this? I unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) wasn't able to attend the game on Friday night. Are you referring to North supporters or the Dogs?

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2016, 03:06 PM
[/I][/B]

What do you mean by this? I unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) wasn't able to attend the game on Friday night. Are you referring to North supporters or the Dogs?

Norf.

The big screens would say "make some noise" with some cringey sound effects after each goal.

bornadog
03-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Norf.

The big screens would say "make some noise" with some cringey sound effects after each goal.

Lights everywhere flashing, noise everywhere, music before the game, clap your hands please, it was BLOODY annoying and a real turn off.

1eyedog
03-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Lights everywhere flashing, noise everywhere, music before the game, clap your hands please, it was BLOODY annoying and a real turn off.

Is ours more low key do you think?

Axe Man
03-05-2016, 04:36 PM
The worst of it was after the first goal (I think) when the noise kicked in over the speakers after the ball had been bounced in the middle and play had re-commenced.

Was up there with the most annoying sound effects I have experienced at the footy along with the da-da-da-da-da after every goal up on the Gold Coast a few years ago and the Fitzroy theme song playing on loop at half time at their home game against us at the Whitten Oval.

hujsh
03-05-2016, 05:06 PM

What about that song we play before our games? I may have mocked that one or two times

1eyedog
03-05-2016, 05:17 PM
What about that song we play before our games? I may have mocked that one or two times

Who let the dogs out?

What about those dancing Bulldogs. Do the kids like them? They freak my 7 year old out.

bornadog
03-05-2016, 06:08 PM

We don't have any noise these days after each goal or during a game.

F'scary
03-05-2016, 06:56 PM
My kids love the dancing bulldogs, they love the racing bulldogs. To the point that I wonder if that is why they come.

I liked our music last season, it was literally awesome. Not so hooked on the song this year but it's ok.

Very thankful we are not a "make noise now" home team. They had this at the Saints home game last year against us, and I can tell you that a lot of their supporters looked embarrassed whenever it came on.

Dancin' Douggy
03-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Ablett, as brilliant as he was, was always playing alongside someone like Brownless or Stoneham.

Jake, despite his brilliance, and last years all Australian selection is still a kid.
Redpath I think, even though he's not smashing the door down, has shown he's physically capable at afl level, of at least busting some packs and laying some tackles. and I think Jake needs a big body down there to help him out.

Redpath, at the very least is a menacing presence that demands a decent tall defender.

Just for the sake of structure I think we need to play him.

The concept of only playing people who have 'earnt' games doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

If Roughead, Campbell, Minson and Boyd are all out of form do we go in with no ruck man?

Do we play 15 small midfielders if they're all in good form?

I reckon we need one of Redpath or Boyd in the team every game.

1eyedog
03-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Ablett, as brilliant as he was, was always playing alongside someone like Brownless or Stoneham.

Jake, despite his brilliance, and last years all Australian selection is still a kid.
Redpath I think, even though he's not smashing the door down, has shown he's physically capable at afl level, of at least busting some packs and laying some tackles. and I think Jake needs a big body down there to help him out.

Redpath, at the very least is a menacing presence that demands a decent tall defender.

The concept of only playing people who have 'earnt' games doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

If Roughead, Campbell, Minson and Boyd are all out of form do we go in with no ruck man?

Would prefer to suit up big-bodied, menacing Peter Gordon than play Jack again. Why don't we just play TC as a full time forward and ruck Roughie?

jeemak
04-05-2016, 01:06 AM
We played a Queen tune at one of the breaks during the NAB Cup game at Docklands that I wanted to ask Woofers to identify.

TD, it might have been the game you and I caught together.......

I happened upon a Norf game last year (or the year before) socially and I couldn't believe the "make some noise" BS that club was pulling. It's tripe, and almost one of the reasons I had no want to attend the game (prior commitments aside) Friday irrespective of my membership allowing me to.

jeemak
04-05-2016, 01:10 AM

Red isn't actually that menacing at league level. Things would be different for him it he was able to be as aggressive as he wanted to be, and also process and execute what's required at senior level. It's what makes the best KPF's what they are - aggressive and talented and able to influence a game regularly.

It's not like he doesn't try though, and in my view he spends a lot of time trying to be talented and structurally oriented instead of being aggressive, just to fit in.

Mofra
04-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Would prefer to suit up big-bodied, menacing Peter Gordon than play Jack again. Why don't we just play TC as a full time forward and ruck Roughie?
I was mystified we didn't have one of them playing deep forward last round considering our "bomb it and hope" plan relied upon Stringer's low percentage speccy attempts or on at least two occasions that imposing figure of 47kgs of pure muscle Bailey Dale trying to outmark two North taller defenders.

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Who let the dogs out?

What about those dancing Bulldogs. Do the kids like them? They freak my 7 year old out.

I thought they were cringeworthy as it was the same lame routine every week.

This year they just stand around and do nothing. Even the half time sprint thing is against animated versions of them while they stand and watch. Confuses everyone.

My rugrats love seeing them though, gets them excited.

comrade
04-05-2016, 02:07 PM

This year they just stand around and do nothing. Even the half time sprint thing is against animated versions of them while they stand and watch. Confuses everyone.

My young fella is obsessed with The Pack, has been one of the ways I've been able to indoctrinate him.

soupman
04-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Pretty sure that is the same animation every week too. Whichever dog is leading at the 3/4 mark (and usually by a lot) is going to lose comfortably.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I was mystified we didn't have one of them playing deep forward last round considering our "bomb it and hope" plan relied upon Stringer's low percentage speccy attempts or on at least two occasions that imposing figure of 47kgs of pure muscle Bailey Dale trying to outmark two North taller defenders.

Yeah a TC, Stringer, Dicko and quality small set up seems like a logical set up to me. Even if the small is a Honeychurch instructed to apply pressure. We really are robbing the forward line (Dicko at half back and Stringer back / midfield) to plug the back line holes. As soon as Suckers and JJ get back the better we'll be. We have some small / midfield depth but that's about it. We have no depth across half back or anywhere within the forward line.

Mantis
04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Yeah a TC, Stringer, Dicko and quality small set up seems like a logical set up to me. Even if the small is a Honeychurch instructed to apply pressure. We really are robbing the forward line (Dicko at half back and Stringer back / midfield) to plug the back line holes. As soon as Suckers and JJ get back the better we'll be. We have some small / midfield depth but that's about it. We have no depth across half back or anywhere within the forward line.

I can't agree with this comment...We have 5 HBF'ers currently injured.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I can't agree with this comment...We have 5 HBF'ers currently injured.

Who are the 5?

I'd say we have Murph, JJ and Suckers that's 3. I think it's pretty clear that no one else can fill the role anywhere near to the same standard.

If you're talking about Smith and Prudden I'd say you're joking. One hasn't played the game, the other has played one, neither are guaranteed making it and both are coming off knees.

I'd pick Lynch before either of them but he's not ready either.

G-Mo77
04-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Who are the 5?

I'd say we have Murph, JJ and Suckers that's 3. I think it's pretty clear that no one else can fill the role anywhere near to the same standard.

If you're talking about Smith and Prudden I'd say you're joking. One hasn't played the game, the other has played one, neither are guaranteed making it and both are coming off knees.

With injury comes opportunity

Prudden probably would have been one they tried there although I don't see him in that role and not sure if he's played it at VFL or AFL level. Smith if healthy plays that position and does it well so I think he would have got a call up. I really rate Smith, kind of a poor mans Easton Wood at this stage of his career. Plays tall, good leap and grab, doesn't mind a stroll with the ball in hand. I'd love to have him fit and healthy right now.

bornadog
04-05-2016, 11:15 PM
With injury comes opportunity

Prudden probably would have been one they tried there although I don't see him in that role and not sure if he's played it at VFL or AFL level. Smith if healthy plays that position and does it well so I think he would have got a call up. I really rate Smith, kind of a poor mans Easton Wood at this stage of his career. Plays tall, good leap and grab, doesn't mind a stroll with the ball in hand. I'd love to have him fit and healthy right now.

I thought Prudden was impressive last year when he played in the backline, I think he only got 3 games. He is a good kicker of the ball and goes in hard.

G-Mo77
05-05-2016, 12:29 AM
I thought Prudden was impressive last year when he played in the backline, I think he only got 3 games. He is a good kicker of the ball and goes in hard.

That's coming from someone with a very poor memory thanks to 2.7 years of very poor sleep. I don't recall him playing back but further up the ground. I'll take your word for it though.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 06:34 AM
I'm talking about depth though. Smith and Prudden are no more advanced than Dale or more specifically, Webb, less so actually. We seem more inclined to reshuffle our mids / high half forwards rather than bring in our so called depth players.

Mantis
05-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Who are the 5?

You never pre-fixed your comment by saying the same standard.. Nice add-in.. Of course we don't players to play to the same standard.. JJ and Murf are absolutely elite ( competition elite) players and Suckling is widely regarded as the most damaging kick in the comp.

And I'm absolutely talking about the likes of Prudden and Smith who are depth players.. If they were available they could adequately fill a role as required and allow for better structure.. Will they contribute as much as the players missing.. Not a chance, but they would be handy to have available.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 09:12 AM
It wasn't an add in and I didn't need to prefix it. I said anywhere near the same standard. I don't think they'd even get a game to be honest. They're not ready and as I stated we are more inclined to reshuffle than bring in the likes of Webb, who would be better options than both Prudden and Smith.

I don't know about you but to me a depth player is someone who can come in and play to a similar, but not the same, standard as the first choice player you have out. Prudden and Smith cannot do this regardless of their injury. They are young players on the list who are not ready for the rigors of AFL. Goodes would be a depth player.

I'm talking about a Grundy or a Richards going down and a Reid coming in.

Mantis
05-05-2016, 10:26 AM
It wasn't an add in and I didn't need to prefix it. I said anywhere near the same standard. I don't think they'd even get a game to be honest. They're not ready and as I stated we are more inclined to reshuffle than bring in the likes of Webb, who would be better options than both Prudden and Smith.

I don't know about you but to me a depth player is someone who can come in and play to a similar, but not the same, standard as the first choice player you have out. Prudden and Smith cannot do this regardless of their injury. They are young players on the list who are not ready for the rigors of AFL. Goodes would be a depth player.

At full strength we have Wood, JJ, Biggs, Murphy, Boyd and Suckling to play the HBF role.. To me that is pretty good depth.

It's just shit luck that 3 of them are injured.

hujsh
05-05-2016, 10:27 AM

If we had someone of similar standard as JJ or Murph they'd be playing already. Your definition of depth is unrealistic when applied to star players.

At full strength we have Wood, JJ, Biggs, Murphy, Boyd and Suckling to play the HBF role.. To me that is pretty good depth.

And having Prudden, Webb or Smith as backup for one or two would normally be enough quality cover. But as you said they're injured.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 11:11 AM
If we had someone of similar standard as JJ or Murph they'd be playing already. Your definition of depth is unrealistic when applied to star players.

And having Prudden, Webb or Smith as backup for one or two would normally be enough quality cover. But as you said they're injured.

Correct and they are.

LostDoggy
05-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Crameris run would be handy too.

Dancin' Douggy
06-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Redpath named at full forward. Seems we're not so crazy after all.