PDA

View Full Version : Giants set for boutique home final if they earn it

Axe Man
04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
GREATER Western Sydney would host a maiden home final at Spotless Stadium, with AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan declaring the League would not seek to move the game to a bigger venue.

The Giants are on track to play their first final after a 4-2 start to the season, having announced their credentials with a 75-point win over reigning premier Hawthorn in round six.

Their home ground, a boutique venue with a capacity of 24,000, is located in Sydney Olympic Park, close to the 83,500-seat ANZ Stadium.

The Sydney Swans have played their previous seven finals at ANZ Stadium, but recently ended that arrangement and will host all finals at their SCG home.

McLachlan said the Giants would have the same rights and would not be asked to play finals at a bigger capacity venue.

"It would be at Spotless … that's their home ground, and if the Gold Coast Suns got a home final it would be at Metricon," McLachlan told Fox Footy on Tuesday night.

With growing expectations on the Giants in 2016, the CEO declared it would be a remarkable result if they could win the premiership this season after finishing outside the top eight in 2015.

GWS sits in fifth place going into round seven, with eighth-placed Hawthorn one game clear of Melbourne in ninth.

McLachlan said he would not be concerned if the top eight was set after just six rounds, given the evenness of the competition and the variety of premiership contenders in the top eight.

"It's a season of extraordinary interest and I don't believe it (the top eight) is set," he said.

"I still think there are a number of teams that can make it and even if we thought it was set, anyone can win the premiership.

"That is intriguing in itself."

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-03/giants-set-for-boutique-home-final-if-they-earn-it)

"It would be at Spotless … that's their home ground" says Gil, just like if we hosted a final it would be at Etihad because that's our home ground? The double standards are ridiculous.:mad:

bornadog
04-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Two rules depending on what team you are. Yes we have to learn to play finals at MCG, but these double standards are part of the unfair thinking of the AFL and we are the ones that always cop the wrong end of the stick.

Remi Moses
04-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Two rules depending on what team you are. Yes we have to learn to play finals at MCG, but these double standards are part of the unfair thinking of the AFL and we are the ones that always cop the wrong end of the stick.

BAD, The afl have not one moral fibre in their body .
They want their manufactured plastic franchise to have ongoing success in a market where nobody cares

KT31
04-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Nothing really amazes me with this unscrupulous, contradicting organisation.
Why not just give the Coca-Cola teams a 10 goal head start each game and justify it as equalisation.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 03:51 PM
I actually preferred to play our final at the G last year. Adelaide go ok at Etihad and we need as many games on the G as we can get. There were 6-8k more at the game last year than what would have fit into Etihad so I guess the decision was vindicated.

Twodogs
04-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Apart from the double standard I don't care where we play finals so long as we play finals. We could play them on Mars as far as I am concerned, I will be there.

bornadog
04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I actually preferred to play our final at the G last year. Adelaide go ok at Etihad and we need as many games on the G as we can get. There were 6-8k more at the game last year than what would have fit into Etihad so I guess the decision was vindicated.

Apart from the double standard I don't care where we play finals so long as we play finals. We could play them on Mars as far as I am concerned, I will be there.

The point is we should get the choice and if we feel Etihad is better then so be it. Under the current system we have no choice because who we are.

Twodogs
04-05-2016, 04:47 PM
The point is we should get the choice and if we feel Etihad is better then so be it. Under the current system we have no choice because who we are.

yep, I'm in furious agreement.

Axe Man
04-05-2016, 04:52 PM

Yet if GWS were to host the Swans this year they will forgo at least 20,000 because GWS must have the right to play at their home ground. It stinks. It's not just us either, I bet Geelong don't get to host another final at Kardinia Park.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Yet if GWS were to host the Swans this year they will forgo at least 20,000 because GWS must have the right to play at their home ground. It stinks. It's not just us either, I bet Geelong don't get to host another final at Kardinia Park.

That hasn't been decided yet. I read earlier in the year that Geelong are pushing for it.

Axe Man
04-05-2016, 05:02 PM
That hasn't been decided yet. I read earlier in the year that Geelong are pushing for it.

That's why I said I bet.

Geelong only got that final against Freo at the Cattery because of a scheduling anomaly. I strongly doubt the AFL will let them have another if they can avoid it. Of course Geelong are pushing for it, as we did for Etihad, but it's a waste of time because there are different rules for the AFL's state sponsored team.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Agree with all the counter-arguments above. I'd be surprised if Geelong ever got a home final. There would be an uproar! 50,000 into 32,000 just doesn't go.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 07:41 PM

Do you really think 45,000 fans would go to a GWS vs Swans final?

Axe Man
05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Do you really think 45,000 fans would go to a GWS vs Swans final?

They had 37,000 in round 3 so yes, at least 45,000 would be likely.