PDA

View Full Version : WOOF turns 10 years old!!

bulldogtragic
11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
I just noticed that WOOF turns 10 years old this season. From memory the temporary site was set up by GVGjr mid season 2006 and WOOF as we know it began around December/January and has seen over 450,000 posts. And how we've grown from slow beginnings with about 15 active posters.

From some posters with some great insight, to posters with experience with coaching, umpiring of the system generally, and also posters like BAD and others who bring all the Bulldogs news to one place, The CoonDogs great interviews over the years, seeing First Dog's career take off and a great mature change up from the site we all left. So to all posters who have joined over our ten years and built this place and of course GVGjr and his tech helpers, this is a huge shout out. The forum has seen a lot of great posters get on board over the years and make this at times such an interesting, educational and humourous place for Bulldogs people (and media folk to take our analysis and observations as their own). If you're a long time reader why not take the jump to post and share your thoughts?

Boy have we had some heart breaking highs, and boy have we had some heart breaking lows in the last 10 years. But we shared them together. Heres hoping the next 10 years deliver many premierships!! Happy 10th Birthday WOOF and woofers!!

chef
11-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Happy birthday WOOF. And thanks Gary.

Scraggers
11-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Much love ... Much love !!!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Love WOOF it is a haven of sanity in this crazy world

GVGjr
11-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Many thanks BT, whatever success WOOF has become is because of the likes of yourself and so many others who make every effort to keep the site vibrant. Without that participation from members footy sites die off quickly.

Just a bit of history, WOOF was set-up around late November 2006 and we launched the site in late Jan 2007. I think we tried to time it around the East Meets West day.

Twodogs and BulldogBelle were the first on the scene organising some of the initial set-up and establishing some of the site rules.
Alwaysadog, Bulldog Revolution, Mofra, The Bulldogs Bite and W W Biscuit all joined in Dec 2006 and helped set-up the initial content.

Dry Rot, The Coon Dog, Ms Bulldog (God bless her), Max469, Bornadog and Topdog joined before the launch and then a swag of others including Aker39, Bulldogtragic, Cyberdoggie, DogTown, EJ Smith (God bless him) Firstdogonthemoon, The Doctor, Go_Dogs, Metal, MJP, Raw Toast, Westdog54, Whythelongface and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all joined before the end of January 2007.

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone and sincere apologies if I have.

It's certainly been a roller coaster ride and plenty of challenges along the way but none more so than trying to deal with a dwindling participation rate. It's still the biggest challenge we face.

A big thanks to all the good folk over the years who have stepped in and offered their services to help moderate the site and also to the likes of Bulldogtragic and Eastdog who have worked tirelessly over the setting and and organising weekly threads particularly over the last couple of years. There has also been many, many fine contributors over the years and I've enjoyed reading their contributions so a big thank you to all.

Where not quite at the 10th birthday yet but hopefully it might coincide with some great football by our beloved Bulldogs.

F'scary
11-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Excelsior!

The Doctor
11-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Dry Rot, The Coon Dog, Ms Bulldog (God bless her), Max469, Bornadog and Topdog joined before the launch and then a swag of others including Aker39, Bulldogtragic, Cyberdoggie, DogTown, EJ Smith (God bless him) Firstdogonthemoon, The Doctor, Go_Dogs, Metal, MJP, Raw Toast, Westdog54, Whythelongface and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all joined before the end of January 2007.

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone and sincere apologies if I have.

Ahem!

well done to all involved. it's a great site

Max469
11-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Happy to have been here from the start. Thanks Gary. Happy Anniversary

bornadog
11-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Cheers Gary and all Posters, great place to discuss everything about the club we all love.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-05-2016, 09:02 PM
This is the only forum I've ever been actively involved in. I'd be lost without it, and my support of the Bulldogs is significantly enhanced through the existence of this community of fellow Bulldog supporters.
A sincere thanks to those who make this site functionally and logistically possible and also to all the contributors who make this such a wonderful community to be involved in.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2016, 09:05 PM
My life as I knew it changed when I came across WOOF. I was a lone wolf as a Bulldogs supporter, going by myself to games and sharing stuff with a brother that didn't quite participate when the side wasn't showing promise. Then I got WOOFed and shared passion, perception, pissed offedness and hope.

Thanks to Gary and all the community for a lifeline to what really matters.

merantau
11-05-2016, 09:07 PM
I've only been on board a short time but know what I like and this is a seriously good site. Thanks to all those who've put in the effort over the years; it's really appreciated. There are a lot of astute observers on this site and it provides a heap of mental stimulation. Go WOOF!

Eastdog
11-05-2016, 09:30 PM
WOOF is great. I've been on since 2012 so over 4 years now for me. I really enjoy reading fellow woofers opinions on all things Bulldogs and like the jokes from woofers on here from time to time. Thanks to Gary and all the other main admins who run the site and make things possible for us to have a forum like this. Also a big mention to bornadog who posts up heaps of news on our club and all the fellow helpers on the Dawg squad forum with all the weekly threads - Twodogs, Go_Dogs, Bulldog Joe, GVGjr, bulldogtragic, Scraggers and Greystache.

whythelongface
11-05-2016, 09:58 PM
A great source of knowledge for everything Bulldogs related. From an interstate member it provides great insights into the club, both then and now. I love reading about the history, especially before I started following the club in the early '80's. So thank you to all who have contributed in providing this insight into our club and a big shout out to Gary for starting the site.

comrade
11-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Wow, how time flies!

Been around for 8 years now, and WOOF has been a daily presence in my life.

Met some great people through this forum and I'm thankful to Gary and everyone who helps keep the wheels in motion.

Eastdog
11-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Wow, how time flies!

Been around for 8 years now, and WOOF has been a daily presence in my life.

Met some great people through this forum and I'm thankful to Gary and everyone who helps keep the wheels in motion.

Met sopuaman at a JB Hi Fi store last year and briefly had a good chat about the Dogs. It was the day before the Whitten Oval game last year during the pre season. Be great in the future to meet some more woofers.

josie
11-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks GVGjr, BAD, BT, Eastdog and other mods and regular posters. Only site, footy or otherwise, I post on. Folks here are level headed and thoughtful with no offensive nonsense. So comforting to know there are lots of other dogs supporters as consumed and passionate. Will be great to look back in another 10 years reminiscing about the grand final win(s).

hujsh
11-05-2016, 11:06 PM
If you are interested in another B'dogs website that's for Doggies fans only, no trolling & respect for each others opinions without the silly name calling we see on BF, try WOOF (Whitten Oval Online Forum - www.woof.net.au).

Big thanks to the now missing (presumed lurking?) TCD for inviting me to the forum in November 2007. I was 15 and I think I'm a better person now for having come here for my football discussions as opposed to BF.

And thanks to you people who put up with 15 year old hujsh.

Woof is now a great distraction during the boring periods of work

Hotdog60
11-05-2016, 11:10 PM
Well done WOOF!
This is my virtual home and the one place I can get informative information about the Bulldogs living interstate.
Without WOOF I would be in Bulldog limbo.

Keep up the great work.

Bulldog4life
11-05-2016, 11:55 PM
I joined in October 2007 thanks to being pointed in the direction of Woof by The Coon Dog. I have enjoyed all views immensely. Well not all to be honest but 97.5% ha ha. Thanks Gary and his helpers for a wonderful site for us doggie supporters. Woof Woof!

Happy Days
11-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Holy hell. I've been on this place (much like hujsh; hey other young guy!) since I was 16, and wow I can't believe some of the bad takes I've launched on this forum over the years as I learned to grapple with actually understanding footy instead of just thinking Fev was the sickest.

I want to thank WOOF for giving me the confidence for writing longer, more creatively, and with more passion than I ever thought possible. WOOF has let me channel myself better than I ever thought I could, and I'm so grateful that I got to have all of you guys as a sounding board, whether you knew it or not.

Sorry for all the times I came home pissed (or worse) and posted something trash. I don't actually hate Jack Redpath or Matthew Boyd.

Also I miss Lantern. And Sockeye. And EJ and The Banker :(

But I love this forum.

GVGjr
11-05-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm getting more credit than I deserve. I can honestly say that without Twodogs and BulldogsBelle the site would not have started.

I can still recall exchanging a number of text messages with Twodogs before we stumbled upon the possible name of the site.

And without Alwaysadog, Bulldog Revolution, WW Biscuit, The Bulldogs Bite and Mofra helping setting up a lot of content before we launched our little Bulldog community would have struggled. Having another 20 quality people join when we launched gave us a great foundation.

We have been very fortunate to have so many others join in along the way

soupman
12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
I was another to be recruited across from Bigfooty by TCD, which is such a relief seeing the quality of some of the Bulldog posters on there now (particularly on the main boards...cringeworthy). I've been active on quite a few forums (sporting and otherwise) and none comes close to delivering the quality and maturity of conversation this one offers. It's been an excellent place to vent my thoughts, learn things, discuss how good/bad we are and has almost completely replaced my need to read or view anything else to stay informed about the Bulldogs or even AFL in general. Almost definitely my most visited site too.

Full credit to all both formally and informally involved in running this site and filling it up with good stuff, almost every post on here is worth reading, and I have spent way too much of my life reading the opinions of people I have never met (and in Eastdogs case, have).

I just wish that 16 year old me didn't pick such a lame username.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2016, 12:30 AM
I'm getting more credit than I deserve. I can honestly say that without Twodogs and BulldogsBelle the site would not have started.

I can still recall exchanging a number of text messages with Twodogs before we stumbled upon the possible name of the site.

And without Alwaysadog, Bulldog Revolution, WW Biscuit, The Bulldogs Bite and Mofra helping setting up a lot of content before we launched our little Bulldog community would have struggled. Having another 20 quality people join when we launched gave us a great foundation.

Why didn't Tri-Colours (the interim site) stick as the name out of curiosity G?

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 01:26 AM
My favorite site on the internet. Appreciation to all the original members who set up the site and contributors. This forum means a lot to us abroad. I've worked in some far flung places where a description of a game on here is all I could get. The forum represents the decent, hard working fans of our great club. Out of curiosity, I've trolled the forums of other clubs to see what's on their menu and it's often a nasty mess. This forum is a gem. Happy Birthday.

SonofScray
12-05-2016, 01:44 AM
This is a terrific site. I have been on various Dogs forums since the very first official club forum, plenty have come and gone. May WOOF be a source of comradeship and passionate support for our Club for many more years. Massive thanks to the people who put in the time and resources to keep it going.

I really enjoy posting here. I use WOOF for mature discussion, #realtalk as the kids would say. The other forums are for my over the top nonsense which occasionally pops up here too, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

1eyedog
12-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Much love ... Much love !!!
Sensational avatar Scraggers.

Ozza
12-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Happy 10th anniversary WOOF.

I came to this site early in 2008 - after The Coon Dog sent me a private message on Bigfooty, suggesting that I would enjoy this forum more than bigfooty, and I am glad I did.

It is a shame that TCD is no longer a regular contributor - his voice on here is certainly missed - and he also used to sit in front of me at the footy, so I'm not sure what his movements are now.

Anyways, Monday's to Friday's I always enjoy checking in during the day - as the first place I look for any bulldog news or discussion.

Mofra
12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Happy Birthday Woof - a decade flies by

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Also recruited by The Coon Dog in 2009.

It is certainly a much higher standard than available on the other site.

Appreciate all the efforts to establish and maintain WOOF.

Bulldog4life
12-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Happy 10th anniversary WOOF.

I came to this site early in 2008 - after The Coon Dog sent me a private message on Bigfooty, suggesting that I would enjoy this forum more than bigfooty, and I am glad I did.

It is a shame that TCD is no longer a regular contributor - his voice on here is certainly missed - and he also used to sit in front of me at the footy, so I'm not sure what his movements are now.

Anyways, Monday's to Friday's I always enjoy checking in during the day - as the first place I look for any bulldog news or discussion.

Think I read recently on Woof that he is overseas. Seems like he recruited a lot of us.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Thank you to Twodogs and BulldogBelle as well. Sorry I missed saying that.

I have ended up meeting quiet a few people on here and knew Gary when we worked together on a project at Coles Supermarkets (2004 to 2006) . We do catch up every now and then. A funny story I can remember when working with Gary was discussing the Dogs. Gary sat behind me. The project we were on had some 200 plus people working in an open plan office. If someone came up to us and wanted to talk about the club, Gary would say "are you a member", if the response was no, then he would say, "well I don't want to talk to you, come back when you have joined up." :D

TCD got the opportunity to arrange a few dinners with Rocket, and I was invited along and met a lot of WOOFERS over a number of years including Twodogs. I must say they are all terrific blokes. One of the pinnacles was the VFL grandfinal when about ten woofers ended up sitting together and enjoying the win together.

Craigsahibee sits in front of me on level two, and I see a few WOOFERS on level two running around including FDOTM, Twodogs.

Over the years we have had differences of opinion on players, game styles, coaches but out of all of that, it has been out of the love of our club and they have all been good healthy debates. It's a shame a few people have dropped out over the years.

I encourage all those lurkers to contribute and don't rely on the same old posters. A good forum will only last as long as there are plenty of contributors.

always right
12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Happy birthday Woof and thank you to those who make it happen. Always have the site open as I work at my desk each day...hate to think how much time I've spent reading and commenting over the time.

Thank you for putting up with my smart arse user name and (occasional) smart arse comments. Looking forward to the day when I come on this site after our second premiership win. Don't think I've ever posted when pissed out of my mind.

Axe Man
12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Thanks to all who setup WOOF and keep it going. You have been responsible for countless unproductive hours at work over the years!

I was recruited from Big Footy in November 2008 by Captain Sensible (Carl). Just wondering who that is, there's no equivalent user name here?

Twodogs
12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Why didn't Tri-Colours (the interim site) stick as the name out of curiosity G?

Because Gary and I were pretty pleased with ourselves for thinking of an acronym that spelled out WOOF...

Too complicated from memory. It was hosted on one of those free forum sites and it wasn't very stable.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Because Gary and I were pretty pleased with ourselves for thinking of an acronym that spelled out WOOF...

Too complicated from memory. It was hosted on one of those free forum sites and it wasn't very stable.

That's a great reason! :D

Twodogs
12-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Yep. GVRjr Bulldog Belle, Dry Rot, Topdog (I think) and I were moderating the bulldog page on BigFooty back in the day when we decided that having our own site run by bulldog supporters would be a better use of the time we spent moderating.

It's funny I was on BF from the start. I was the first moderator that wasn't Bluey, Fred, Chief or any of the other aliases he used, I moderated The Limbo Club when it was on BF and pretty much migrated TLC onto its own forum but now I don't have enough privileges (whatever they are) to even post

The Pie Man
12-05-2016, 11:44 AM
I've been on here 8 years this month, was alerted to its existence by a lady on the (then) Epping train after we lost to North in 08 after BJ missed that shot after the siren. We beat Hawthorn the next week in Tassie and I was sure joining WOOF was a good omen!

Could never have imagined the random opportunities joining WOOF would afford me over the journey, and it's honestly been a privilege to be a part of a forum that provides a special insight into not only our club but the game as well.

It's the only forum of any kind I've been a member of, and it's helped me feel more part of the Western Bulldog family. Thank-you to all of you

bornadog
12-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks to all who setup WOOF and keep it going. You have been responsible for countless unproductive hours at work over the years!

I was recruited from Big Footy in November 2008 by Captain Sensible (Carl). Just wondering who that is, there's no equivalent user name here?

Twodogs?

Eastdog
12-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Not a regular poster on here now but PeanutsPeanuts was a great contributor to WOOF eg: history of all our finals thread.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Just thinking of our other direct WOOF achievements that have helped our great club:

Player Sponsorships
March to the G
The Peoples Beard merchandise, and the PM holding it up for a photo
Recruiting Tom Boyd
First Dog annual calendars
Donating unwanted merchandise back into the club's community programs
A woofed Lego MCG (still awesome Ryan)

Name others if you can (my memory is hazy sometimes, sorry if I missed it). It would great of the club to acknowledge so many contributions of a large group of people, most of whom have never met before and whose common bond is seeing us get the promised land.

LostDoggy
12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Well done WOOF team including the posters.

You have been an Island of solace, an escape from Adelaide media and a constant source of learning for me.

Murphy'sLore
12-05-2016, 12:51 PM
I first stumbled across WOOF while looking up references to the Western Bulldogs in Sarah Watt's film, My Year Without Sex (which is fitting in a way, as the journey of many members could be summarised as My Lifetime Without A Premiership. But I digress...)

Thank you to WOOF for helping me to feel that there is a place in the Bulldog family even for an ignoramus like me. You have all taught me so much, about the rules and culture and history of football, but most importantly, about community, and I'm forever grateful.

Daughter of the West
12-05-2016, 01:33 PM
When I looked at my posting since date just now, I have to say, time has flown!

Thank you to every one involved in creating, running and contributing to this site. I wouldn't know a tenth of what I know about the current Bulldogs if it weren't for Woof. This site has kept me up to date and sane in workplaces where footy is the first thing talked about on Monday and where footy doesn't rate a mention at all! Hell, this site has even landed me a job interview (thanks ReLoad).

I look forward to the year that we're all too busy watching the dogs at the grand final to participate in Rocco's grand final madness thread ;)

Twodogs
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I first stumbled across WOOF while looking up references to the Western Bulldogs in Sarah Watt's film, My Year Without Sex (which is fitting in a way, as the journey of many members could be summarised as My Lifetime Without A Premiership. But I digress...)

Thank you to WOOF for helping me to feel that there is a place in the Bulldog family even for an ignoramus like me. You have all taught me so much, about the rules and culture and history of football, but most importantly, about community, and I'm forever grateful.

Poor Sarah. I was in Mothers group with Sarah, our kids still hang around together. Clem ans Stella are lovely kids.

We knew she was sick but it was still a shock.

Murphy'sLore
12-05-2016, 01:46 PM
It was terribly sad. Apart from anything else, she still had so much to offer as an artist, I feel so sad thinking of all the films she never got to make.

dadsgirl16
12-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I just checked when I joined and can't believe how time has indeed flown. BIG thankyou to all who keep me so well informed and
more often than not put a smile on the dial!!

merantau
12-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Not a regular poster on here now but PeanutsPeanuts was a great contributor to WOOF eg: history of all our finals thread.
Agree, the work done by Peanuts Peanuts on that thread was exceptional.

NoName
12-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Happy Birthday WOOF! While I rarely post I do enjoy reading all of the posts.

The Underdog
12-05-2016, 03:58 PM
I joined this site the same month as my first child was born. Now I have 3 children, which is why my posts these days are mostly one sentence long.
Where did my life go?

Eastdog
12-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Agree, the work done by Peanuts Peanuts on that thread was exceptional.

Here is that thread started by PP:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?15263-A-brief-history-of-our-finals-matches

craigsahibee
12-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Wow. Apparently my first post was for the Woof Player Awards for Round 2, 2008. Considering it was posted at 2:25am I would like to see whether my votes were relevant.

Just love reading all the posts on here and the opportunity to meet some really great Bulldogs people over the years.

Looking forward to when the interweb explodes when we salute in September.

Go Dogs

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2016, 04:46 PM
I love WOOF. It's really my main source of all things Bulldog. And AFL to be honest.
I've been on her since 12 /10 /2007.

Sweated through a lot of trade weeks and drafts with my eyes glued to WOOF 24/7.

Still remember the euphoria I felt when we called out Jake Stringers name.

I Love the way WOOF is moderated and managed. The intelligence and even handedness of the posters.
And the general 'community vibe' of it.
Thank you all so much for your work and all contributions.
Match reports from the VFL, and really exceptional inside information that finds it way on to here every now and again.

Keep up the good work.

Your Pal
Dancin' Douggy

merantau
12-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Looks like this is becoming a well-read thread so is as good a place as any to let people know I'll be depending on you mob for a lot of my Bulldog news as wife and I are heading for Indonesia until Sept and although we get games live on TV I'll be on the road for a month and won't see any TV. So, I'll be depending on Woofers on game day. Keep up the good work. Go Dogs!

Eastdog
12-05-2016, 05:35 PM
WOOF while great for us Victorian based supporters it is especially good for interstate woofers and overseas woofers like yourself pretty soon until September merantau.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 05:56 PM
The thing that's cool is it's so simple and low-fi in nature without bells or whistles. The addition of the 'Like' button was a huge leap in technology!
It might be the longest time I've been in a 'club' or certainly a forum of any kind.

The absolute highlight are the interviews with players of days gone by. I really am grateful for those.

westdog54
12-05-2016, 06:21 PM
TCD got the opportunity to arrange a few dinners with Rocket, and I was invited along and met a lot of WOOFERS over a number of years including Twodogs. I must say they are all terrific blokes. One of the pinnacles was the VFL grandfinal when about ten woofers ended up sitting together and enjoying the win together.

Remains one of my favourite days at the footy, ever, and the people around me helped make it so.

Came across on Twodogs' recommendation. Once I got a feel for who had changed their screen name over from what it was on BF I felt much more comfortable.

Eventually got sick of BF, stopped visiting and never went back and relied solely on WOOF.

Was fortunate enough to attend a Rocket dinner and it was great fun.

Thoroughly enjoyed my short time as a moderator and only stepped down due to increasing family and work commitments. Still love logging on every day.

Here's to the next 10, and all the 10s still to come.

chef
12-05-2016, 06:26 PM
My PM from November 14 2008

Captain Sensible said:
Hey

Just for your information a few of us got together and started a bulldogs site of our own. We dont want it to be a competitier to BF but more of an adjunct that provides a slightly more reasonable and mature outlook on Bulldog matters. If you get a chance check it out at www.woof.net.au

One thing I would ask is that you keep it quiet-it's a bit like fightclub, the first rule is we dont talk about it! Anyway hope to see you over there

-Cheers
Carl

Thanks Carl for improving my life:D

bulldogtragic
12-05-2016, 06:32 PM
The thing that's cool is it's so simple and low-fi in nature without bells or whistles. The addition of the 'Like' button was a huge leap in technology!
It might be the longest time I've been in a 'club' or certainly a forum of any kind.

The absolute highlight are the interviews with players of days gone by. I really am grateful for those.

Same, I said to my wife last night that WOOF is the longest voluntary relationship I've had this lifetime. Many know I have physical injuries & PTSD (which sucks), but I can tell you when I'm stuck in the house for a few months after regular surgeries WOOF is the tonic. Although I've learnt not to post when on strong pain killers or immense pain, it's weirder and more extreme and I'm weird enough on my own ( :) ). There's also many other people on here with physical ailments far greater than mine (and some unfortunately passed) and I know they're also grateful to have a place to escape to. Reading some the perspectives of what WOOF means to people is quite fascinating. From the outside its probably just another footy forum, but on the inside it's something altogether a personal experience that gives back as much as you give it. I think it's cathartic too when we have a heartbreaking loss in a final that there's others feeling the same and an outlet for the hurt, and of course the good.

If I had one idea, I'd love to see the old match previews come back. They were a long read but easily the best bulldog match info on the net and media, and I dare say better than from the club. 22 people used to take a week each, it was a bit of work but these were outstanding as I say. If there's 13 others willing the H&A season, I'm happy to do next week's to get the template going.

Happy Days
12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
If I had one idea, I'd love to see the old match previews come back. They were a long read but easily the best bulldog match info on the net and media, and I dare say better than from the club. 22 people used to take a week each, it was a bit of work but these were outstanding as I say. If there's 13 others willing the H&A season, I'm happy to do next week's to get the template going.

Yeah sign me up. They tend to flow like a stream of consciousness anyway so they're not difficult to write, a brilliant antidote to the other stuff I have to spend all my time sourcing and referencing.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Yeah sign me up. They tend to flow like a stream of consciousness anyway so they're not difficult to write, a brilliant antidote to the other stuff I have to spend all my time sourcing and referencing.

Cool, will start another thread to not hijack this one.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Me too. Only ever did one. But I'm of the honest opinion it was 'special'

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Thank you to Twodogs and BulldogBelle as well. Sorry I missed saying that.

I have ended up meeting quiet a few people on here and knew Gary when we worked together on a project at Coles Supermarkets (2004 to 2006) . We do catch up every now and then. A funny story I can remember when working with Gary was discussing the Dogs. Gary sat behind me. The project we were on had some 200 plus people working in an open plan office. If someone came up to us and wanted to talk about the club, Gary would say "are you a member", if the response was no, then he would say, "well I don't want to talk to you, come back when you have joined up." :D

Craigsahibee sits in front of me on level two, and I see a few WOOFERS on level two running around including FDOTM, Twodogs.

Over the years we have had differences of opinion on players, game styles, coaches but out of all of that, it has been out of the love of our club and they have all been good healthy debates. It's a shame a few people have dropped out over the years.

I encourage all those lurkers to contribute and don't rely on the same old posters. A good forum will only last as long as there are plenty of contributors.

I must confess I'm a bit of a lurker, but it's REALLY unsatisfying and awkward posting on an iPhone. Even this short post is frustrating the living bejesus out of me.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 07:03 PM
I must confess I'm a bit of a lurker, but it's REALLY unsatisfying and awkward posting on an iPhone. Even this short post is frustrating the living bejesus out of me.

When you use SWYPE keyboard, it's much easier.

merantau
12-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Stick with it Dancin' Dougie. I never thought I'd be writing on a phone but it's all I use now. I go at steam power speed compared to kids but who cares! And I reckon it's actually good for my eyesight. What it's really good for is keeping the mind active, keeping the creativity oiled. I really appreciate the different perspectives posters bring to the table, especially Match Committee, B & A's and game day. Ekers has also been a favourite thread of mine and McAvanney Madness speaks for itself. Love the interviews with past players - blokes who've given their all and provided heaps of enjoyment over my lifetime. And THE BEST IS YET TO COME! As sure as night follows day we are steadily making our way up the mountain, we are overcoming obstacles on the way but nothing, I repeat nothing, will bar our way to the Promised Land. Strap yourselves in Woofers. It's going to be one helluva celebration. Go Dogs!

Throughandthrough
12-05-2016, 07:19 PM
To celebrate we should all catch up after we win the gf this year

G-Mo77
12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Can't believe it's been 10 years. Like a lot of you I was one of TCD's children. Had some ups and downs along the way but overall I've loved my time here. Credit to all involved getting it off the ground and keeping it running.

I really don't post that much now. I spend less and less time in front of a computer screen and read mostly because I'm on my phone. I really don't contribute as much as I'd like.

LostDoggy
12-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Another one who shamefully is more of a reader than a writer, but I really do appreciate all the effort put in by everyone. Thank god for the like and thanks buttons that improve my involvement.
Having started on Bigfooty, this site is on another planet and sometimes I like to go back there just so I can really appreciate WOOF.
Not only is WOOF full of excellent content but you can all write and not every discussion turns into a sh*t throwing contest which is refreshing.
Happy Birthday WOOF, looking forward to the next ten

Eastdog
12-05-2016, 07:32 PM
To celebrate we should all catch up after we win the gf this year

Sounds great ThroughandThrough. Would love to meet some woofers after we win the premiership.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Another one who shamefully is more of a reader than a writer, but I really do appreciate all the effort put in by everyone. Thank god for the like and thanks buttons that improve my involvement.
Having started on Bigfooty, this site is on another planet and sometimes I like to go back there just so I can really appreciate WOOF.
Not only is WOOF full of excellent content but you can all write and not every discussion turns into a sh*t throwing contest which is refreshing.

Love your Avatar Pickle. Jake Stringer picking a fight with his left boot!

LostDoggy
12-05-2016, 08:13 PM

My 100th post on WOOF's 10 year birthday thread...bloody beautiful

Murphy'sLore
12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
My 100th post on WOOF's 10 year birthday thread...bloody beautiful

I'd like to 'like' this post but I think I've exceeded my daily quota!
#spreadingthelove

Eastdog
12-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Good on ya Pickle.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Scary how quickly those 10 years have gone.

Here's to the next, premiership filled, 10.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2016, 09:09 PM
When you use SWYPE keyboard, it's much easier.

I'm such a caveman, I don't even know what that is. I was given an iPhone by my zookeepers

Twodogs
12-05-2016, 10:18 PM

That's me. We cherry picked a few posters from BigFooty in the early days.

It's funny. Anybody can join here but we've only ever had limited interest from opposition supporters. Only one has ever posted more than once. No real trouble from trolls or pests or none for a long time anyway

Dry Rot
12-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Amongst all this joyful celebration I'm afraid to say I have some very bad news.

Unbeknown to GVGjr when the site was initially set up, the original servers used were in Griffith in the NSW Riverina.

This has now come to the attention of the Giants, who will claim this site at the end of this season and it will become a GWS fan forum in 2017.

The Doctor
12-05-2016, 10:43 PM
So we can expect a lot of confused Carlton supporters?

Twodogs
12-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Amongst all this joyful celebration I'm afraid to say I have some very bad news.

Unbeknown to GVGjr when the site was initially set up, the original servers used were in Griffith in the NSW Riverina.

This has now come to the attention of the Giants, who will claim this site at the end of this season and it will become a GWS fan forum in 2017.

That Brian Griffup bloke will be happy about us posting about him.

Bulldog4life
13-05-2016, 01:09 AM
I haven't used Big Footy for over 9 years. I discovered I could still log in and discovered the following:

Well said!!!!

Mirrors my thoughts to a tee.

I found a nice hide away from BF but still get my Bulldogs fix.

I'm not sure if you are aware of WOOF (Whitten Oval Online Forum - www.woof.net.au) but there's a healthy degree of respect there. Much more pleasant.

Cheers,

TCD

woof.net.au
The Coon Dog, Oct 21, 2007

jeemak
13-05-2016, 02:01 AM
Some Captain Sensible bloke in about 2008 tried to coax me across to a Bulldogs specific site in 2008 via Bigfooty. I ignored him or her, I mean really, who follows a black and white photo'd message from someone called Captain Sensible in the first place?

A smart person, that's who. I waited two years to finally take notice of that message from the Sensible One and joined up - given I was sick of the horse manure being dished up on that other site - in 2010.

I thank GVGjr and all those involved moderating and maintaining the site for the good work they put into good times and discussions I've enjoyed these past six years, and those who have bolstered that effort with quality discussion that is educated, mature, funny, immature, not-funny, hyperbolic, laid back, serious, insane, liberal, conservative and superfluous.

This site is a microcosm of something big and precious to us. I sometimes sit back and think about the ether on which it exists and shudder. Most of the time I just log on to WOOF though.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2016, 03:03 AM
That's gone quick, wow.

Huge thank you to Gary who invited me here in 2006, the work that Twodogs and BulldogBelle have done in that time, along with the whole host of quality posters we've had here over the journey.

I don't post as often as I used to but I still logon every day. Win or lose, laugh or cry, WOOF keeps me sane.

Long may we continue!

1eyedog
13-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Some Captain Sensible bloke in about 2008 tried to coax me across to a Bulldogs specific site in 2008 via Bigfooty. I ignored him or her, I mean really, who follows a black and white photo'd message from someone called Captain Sensible in the first place?

A smart person, that's who. I waited two years to finally take notice of that message from the Sensible One and joined up - given I was sick of the horse manure being dished up on that other site - in 2010.

I thank GVGjr and all those involved moderating and maintaining the site for the good work they put into good times and discussions I've enjoyed these past six years, and those who have bolstered that effort with quality discussion that is educated, mature, funny, immature, not-funny, hyperbolic, laid back, serious, insane, liberal, conservative and superfluous.

This site is a microcosm of something big and precious to us. I sometimes sit back and think about the ether on which it exists and shudder. Most of the time I just log on to WOOF though.

You're a different cat Jeemak - I like it.

Twodogs
13-05-2016, 10:50 AM
You're a different cat Jeemak - I like it.

He is. Great post Jeemak.

Axe Man
13-05-2016, 11:23 AM

So WOOF's original servers were probably run by the Calabrian Mafia?:eek:

Axe Man
13-05-2016, 11:25 AM
My PM from November 14 2008

Captain Sensible said:
Hey

Just for your information a few of us got together and started a bulldogs site of our own. We dont want it to be a competitier to BF but more of an adjunct that provides a slightly more reasonable and mature outlook on Bulldog matters. If you get a chance check it out at www.woof.net.au

One thing I would ask is that you keep it quiet-it's a bit like fightclub, the first rule is we dont talk about it! Anyway hope to see you over there

-Cheers
Carl

Thanks Carl for improving my life:D

That's me. We cherry picked a few posters from BigFooty in the early days.

It's funny. Anybody can join here but we've only ever had limited interest from opposition supporters. Only one has ever posted more than once. No real trouble from trolls or pests or none for a long time anyway

That's the same message that got me across. You're a great judge of character Twodogs/Captain Sensible!

Eastdog
13-05-2016, 09:35 PM
He is. Great post Jeemak.

Yes I like jeemaks posting. Sedat is another while not a regular poster makes some great posts. 1eyedog is in very good form :) redders70 and F'scary are two who sound very passionate. Nuggety Back Pocket I've PMed and had good chats about the Dogs - maybe one day could meet at a family day. Once again while we may disagree sometimes on some issues I have to say our forum has great passionate debates.

jeemak
13-05-2016, 10:39 PM
I like your posting too Easty, thanks for the shout out.

Eastdog
13-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Cheers jeemak.

ledge
14-05-2016, 11:28 AM
I would like to say a big thank you to all you people who started and continue to run this site.
I was invited by TCD many years ago ( we were best mates in primary school)
I've had the experience of meeting a previous coach thanks to you people.
I have never been in BF and not interested, this was the first actual bulldog site I ever heard of or knew of.
I think I check in everyday and find the off season most interesting.
This site is very much respected as shown by club people and reporters taking an interest and listening to constructive things we bring up.
I will also say a big thank you to everyone who posts and make this probably the best footy forum site on the web .. May we continue another ten and beyond.
Love the passion the people and lets welcome in a flag over the next few years !

bulldogtragic
14-05-2016, 02:10 PM
So WOOF's original servers were probably run by the Calabrian Mafia?:eek:

Maybe that's what Donald McKay is doing. It would explain why they never found him, because he's alive running servers for footy forums making money for the mafia.

LostDoggy
14-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Wow, I can't believe it's been ten years?! Like a few others said too- thanks for putting up with my fifteen/sixteen year old fangirl dribble. TBH I'm still like that but just keep most of it in my head and lurk now hahaha.

Thanks to everyone who posts and makes the site so enjoyable, I've gained a lot more perspective and insight on our beloved team than reading 90% of the pure sh*t the media write up about us.

Go doggies!

Eastdog
14-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Wow, I can't believe it's been ten years?! Like a few others said too- thanks for putting up with my fifteen/sixteen year old fangirl dribble. TBH I'm still like that but just keep most of it in my head and lurk now hahaha.

Thanks to everyone who posts and makes the site so enjoyable, I've gained a lot more perspective and insight on our beloved team than reading 90% of the pure sh*t the media write up about us.

Go doggies!

Good to have you back online on WOOF Sophie. Yep the time goes so fast.

KT31
15-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Congrats to all involved who have kept Woof running for 10 years.
Unlike others I only ever read BF posts and never contributed, SS told me about Woof when in its infancy but it wasn't until I moved North that I finally joined up.
Not being able to attend games or training, Woof has been a real information and footy life saver and is a credit to all the Mods and others involved.
Have been lucky enough to sit with a few Woofers at the footy and hopefully I can make it down to a couple games in the later part of the season and catch up again.

LostDoggy
15-05-2016, 02:54 PM
A big shout out to everyone involved from the start and to all of the woofers who give me a laugh and great analytical opinions on all things Doggies.
I would be totally lost without this site.:)

bornadog
15-05-2016, 02:55 PM
A big shout out to everyone involved from the start and to all of the woofers who give me a laugh and great analytical opinions on all things Doggies.
I would be totally lost without this site.:)

Your posts seem to always give me a laugh - you are funny with some of your words. Keep it up mate.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I sat next to Twodogs dad for 2 years and we didn't know until we said our goodbyes at the end of Medallion Club tickets finishing. Great people involved with this forum, dare I say, fine young people.

Twodogs
15-05-2016, 03:22 PM
I sat next to Twodogs dad for 2 years and we didn't know until we said our goodbyes at the end of Medallion Club tickets finishing. Great people involved with this forum, dare I say, fine young people.

Hang on. Where did my dad get Medallian club tickets from?

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 03:29 PM

I think his mate was getting them (2008 to 2009 I think). Those grand old fellas made me feel like I was sitting at the WO, and always had a chat before and after the game and at every break. I like when you can have these chats with die hards, gives a sense of community to the footy.

bornadog
15-05-2016, 03:54 PM
And he didn't invite you

Twodogs
15-05-2016, 03:59 PM
I think his mate was getting them (2008 to 2009 I think). Those grand old fellas made me feel like I was sitting at the WO, and always had a chat before and after the game and at every break. I like when you can have these chats with die hards, gives a sense of community to the footy.

Ah yeah. I know who you mean now. That old bloke dad knocks around with has serious clout.

And he didn't invite you

I like my spot standing behind aisle 31. It has many advantages and they haven't figured out how to charge extra for it.

Eastdog
10-06-2016, 11:47 PM
The Doctor is a strong player on the draft threads. Good job there mate.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 12:58 AM
The Doctor is a strong player on the draft threads. Good job there mate.

The doc is a very good judge of a player.

Eastdog
11-06-2016, 09:06 PM
The doc is a very good judge of a player.

Mofra is another I notice also who is a strong contributor in those threads anyway we all here on Woof bring something to the table.

Topdog
12-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Geez 10 years, i am getting old.

I remember moving from the old forum also set up by Gary to this one. There really was a lot of work put into it early (and I'm sure still is now).

Cheers to everyone here for making WOOF what it is.

Eastdog
22-06-2016, 11:41 PM
josie has been in very strong form on WOOF lately and is a great contributor.

Twodogs
22-06-2016, 11:58 PM
josie has been in very strong form on WOOF lately and is a great contributor.

Some good posts on the matchday thread.