PDA

View Full Version : Love for our dour, defensive old-Dogs.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Love for Boyd and Glove. (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how-veterans-dale-morris-matthew-boyd-got-western-bulldogs-over-the-line-against-adelaide-crows/news-story/52546c8a167a7bf8fa993a0d1dfda0d3)<--- Link

"Morris was at his blanketing best, rarely leaving Betts’ side as he shut the star Crows goalkicker up and kept him goalless for the first time in 2016.

The 33-year-old ( Morris ) had ample help from fellow defender Easton Wood, who himself was colossal across half-back. But Morris’ ability to read the play and his positioning — an art he has mastered for well over a decade — ensured Betts wasn’t able to escape out the back of packs for those trademark easy goals.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Dale in bad form,” Dogs teammate Luke Dahlhaus told foxfooty.com.au."

"Boyd delivered on both fronts on Saturday night, finishing with 27 disposals at 85 per cent efficiency, 14 handball receives, a team-high 10 intercept possessions, six score involvements and 446m gained.

Of his 27 touches, 58 per cent of them were won in the defensive midfield quadrant, proving how effectively Boyd played the “link man” role between the two arcs."

Great to see them both getting credit. Their durability over the journey has been superhuman.

EasternWest
13-05-2016, 09:14 AM
I had Morris for best on ground last week, and I think Boyd was terrific also. His kicking looked really assured.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Matty Boyd and Dale Morris are two of our all time greats. They have contested at the highest level over different eras of football with different coaches and player personnel through strength of character rather than pure talent. I will always preserve a soft spot for the tough dedication of the Glove. The rookie who made himself noticed by nullifying anybody he played on during practice and has done so ever since throughout a long career and overcame a badly broken leg at older age to be as good as ever. The stuff of legend. Boyd's and Morris' careers may yet be rewarded in a way that most of our club greats were not. Even if they are not saluted in October, they will have carried a team into an era of greatness. Thank you Matt and Dale.

LostDoggy
13-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Well said BID!

Mofra
13-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Glove is a once in a generation type player.
Irreplaceable. He'll be missed when he can't play anymore. Hopefully a year off and a late start to his career means he plays on a little longer than average.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Glove is a once in a generation type player.
Irreplaceable. He'll be missed when he can't play anymore. Hopefully a year off and a late start to his career means he plays on a little longer than average.

One of the best defenders I've ever seen.

hujsh
13-05-2016, 03:51 PM
One of the best defenders I've ever seen.

Best defender I've ever seen (from a purely defensive POV)

bornadog
13-05-2016, 04:03 PM
The glove is consistent and very reliable and gets the job done everyweek.

LostDoggy
13-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Haven't really noticed this prior years but I'm loving the diving chest marks he's taking. It's like he's making it 100% sure he doesn't drop it.

Knows his limits and nails the basics better than any player I've seen.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Love them both like Crofty and Kritter without the dodgy hammys

LostDoggy
13-05-2016, 08:20 PM
I will cry real tears the day Morris hangs up the boots (which will never happen, obviously ;)).

comrade
13-05-2016, 08:25 PM
I will cry real tears the day Morris hangs up the boots (which will never happen, obviously ;)).

Yep, could rival the day Chris Grant retired. Both completely different footballers, both legends of the Club.

Eastdog
15-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Our defensive pressure was excellent today.