PDA

View Full Version : Early Trade talk - Anyone we want that may be available?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bornadog
18-05-2016, 11:58 AM
I see Prestia's name has come up as a possible trade target as he will be out of contract? Clubs mentioned are Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.

Also yet to sign at the Suns are Sam Day, Adam Saad, David Swallow and Jaeger O’Meara.

Another name mentioned in The Adelaide Advertiser is Lachie Neale.

Who else out of contract should we target.

Are we interested in any of the above.

This thread is to discuss possible needs that could fit right into our team.

soupman
18-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Saad and May would be perfect for the way we play. I know we have shown interest in May before.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2016, 12:07 PM
I see Prestia's name has come up as a possible trade target as he will be out of contract? Clubs mentioned are Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.

Also yet to sign at the Suns are Sam May, Adad Saad, David Swallow and Jaeger O’Meara.

Another name mentioned in The Adelaide Advertiser is Lachie Neale.

Who else out of contract should we target.

Are we interested in any of the above.

This thread is to discuss possible needs that could fit right into our team.

Do you mean Ahmed Saad? or is this a different player.
I'd like to see us make a play for Hurley if he hasn't signed. He is really flexible and would be really useful at both ends.

Happy Days
18-05-2016, 12:12 PM
May would be a fantastic get. I'd give them Jeemak's Watts offer for him.

soupman
18-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Do you mean Ahmed Saad? or is this a different player.

Adam. Ahmeds better brother.

Mantis
18-05-2016, 12:22 PM
It's Sam Day that has put off talks.. Steven May is contracted.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Sorry my typo - now fixed.

Sam is 197cm and could be a good addition.

KT31
18-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Sam Day would certainly help bolster our defence.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Sam Day would certainly help bolster our defence.

Sorry I confused everyone with a typo. It should be Sam Day - 197 cm forward

Happy Days
18-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Oh :(

Sam Day sucks.

comrade
18-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Saad - yes please.

Good luck stopping our run with JJ and Saad zipping from the half back line.

Axe Man
18-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Lachie Hansen can't get a game for North at the moment. He's no star but would provide good key position depth at either end of the ground. He's under contract for next season and becomes a free agent at that point, but if he can't crack a game for North he may be interested in a trade?

Throughandthrough
18-05-2016, 01:06 PM
as per the opening post, rumors are that Lachie Neale would look favorably at a move to a Melbourne based club.

He's actually leading the AFL in possessions this year, but would be quite expensive which probably would rule us out.

Happy Days
18-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Lachie Hansen can't get a game for North at the moment. He's no star but would provide good key position depth at either end of the ground. He's under contract for next season and becomes a free agent at that point, but if he can't crack a game for North he may be interested in a trade?

Lachie Hansen gets concussed walking into a stiff breeze, and should (and hopefully will) retire at the end of the year.

Mofra
18-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Aaron Black seems to have stalled at North but could play that high-forward role we're looking for to compliment our existing forwards.
Seems like it could be a cheapish trade that pays off.

Axe Man
18-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Lachie Hansen gets concussed walking into a stiff breeze, and should (and hopefully will) retire at the end of the year.

Wasn't aware of how many times he's been concussed. He's only 27 so hopefully he is ok and can continue his career.

Aaron Black seems to have stalled at North but could play that high-forward role we're looking for to compliment our existing forwards.
Seems like it could be a cheapish trade that pays off.

He's another not quite key position size though. Does he fit in the team with Stringer and Crameri back next year?

bornadog
18-05-2016, 01:47 PM
as per the opening post, rumors are that Lachie Neale would look favorably at a move to a Melbourne based club.

He's actually leading the AFL in possessions this year, but would be quite expensive which probably would rule us out.

Ranked also number one for cont.poss. Can never have enough midfielders.

Dry Rot
18-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Is Day a free agent?

bornadog
18-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Is Day a free agent?

I doubt it he is only 23 years old. He is out of contract.

Axe Man
18-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Is Day a free agent?

Gold Coast wont have any free agents until the end of 2018 (you need to be on a club's list for 8 years to qualify for free agency).

Remi Moses
18-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Adam Saad's a beauty. Extremely clean below his knees, and quick .

Dry Rot
18-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks. Presume GC would want our first round pick for Day?

Dry Rot
18-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Adam Saad's a beauty. Extremely clean below his knees, and quick .

Not a great defender though?

azabob
18-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Not a great defender though?

Is he hard to judge considering what is around him? In our set up it is about team defense and reacting quickly (mind & foot) so perhaps it won't be such an issue.

always right
18-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Would take Saad in a heartbeat the way we set up our defence. A fine replacement for Murphy should he pull the pin.

Greystache
18-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Neale- Absolutely, he's a gun

Saad- Sure, but it's not an area of desperate need

Day- No. Tall and shit is still shit

Swallow is pretty meh for what they'd want for him

O'Meara has huge question marks over his long term fitness and would still probably command a Tom Boyd offer from some clubs

bulldogtragic
18-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Jack Watts as a free agent interests me.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Jack Watts as a free agent interests me.

Jack needs to get away from Melbourne. Yeah, I would also be interested.

always right
18-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Neale- Absolutely, he's a gun

Saad- Sure, but it's not an area of desperate need

Day- No. Tall and shit is still shit

Swallow is pretty meh for what they'd want for him

O'Meara has huge question marks over his long term fitness and would still probably command a Tom Boyd offer from some clubs

Not an area of desperate need but would he make our side noticeably better? Absolutely. Imagine him and JJ streaming out of defence.

whythelongface
18-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Jack Watts, Josh Jenkins and Michael Hurley. That will do.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2016, 04:33 PM
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-05-11/2017-free-agents

Picken is our only free agent it seems. Good, as we have other things to focus on.
Freo have the most free agents.
I can't anyone in the list who would want to move clubs. Reid at Sydney is a chance, but would demand plenty of coin, and carries injuries.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2016, 05:22 PM
I would like to see all the players that we want to retain on our list signed up first before we chase anyone else. An example is Koby Stevens. Not sure who else is in that category. Hopefully we have enough in the salary cap to keep all our current players happy.

Axe Man
18-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Gold Coast pair join growing list of players putting contract talks on hold
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gold-coast/gold-coast-pair-join-growing-list-of-players-putting-contract-talks-on-hold/news-story/86a9d0c8e5bc8cd1cbec4f261bb74707)
GOLD Coast players Sam Day and Adam Saad have joined the long list of young Suns not yet prepared to sign new contracts at the club.

Saad’s management said on Tuesday he was considering his options as he weighed loyalty to the club with the pull of a return to Victoria.

Swingman Day is seen as more likely to commit to a new deal but is waiting until after the mid-season bye to consider his position.

The Suns are still battling to retain a trio of their best midfielders in Dion Prestia, David Swallow and Jaeger O’Meara, all out of contract at year’s end.

Prestia confirmed he was not yet ready to sit down with the club as an avalanche of Melbourne offers pour in.

His official line is that he will consider his future after the mid-season bye.

“My manager and the club are constantly in talks,’’ he said.

“I’m not there yet in my own expectations and form, so I’ll continue to build that and my manager will look after the contract talks with the club.

Saad has been one of the club’s most exciting defenders after being plucked from Coburg’s VFL side but falls out of contract this year.

His manager John Meesen said Saad loved the club but did feel homesick at times.

“He is out of contract and Gold Coast are keen to wrap that up at the moment. He is not sure what he’s going to do,’’ he said.

“He is pretty close with his family and grateful for the opportunity. He loves playing footy under Rocket (Rodney Eade) but he has found it difficult to be away from his family.

“The club are really understanding of him and let him stay longer in Melbourne on weekends and especially have been good during Ramadan.

“At this stage he hasn’t made a decision and if anything he is leaning towards staying. Gold Coast have put a good deal in front of us.”

Day was in excellent form as a key forward in the first month but injuries have pushed him into defence where he has battled away.

The Suns are eager to discuss a contract extension with him and while he is not yet ready to do so, he believes his career is progressing at the Suns.

As the club’s No. 3 selection in the 2010 national draft he has taken time to flourish and is likely to rebuff any interest from clubs at home in Adelaide.

O’Meara could be back within three weeks after making progress with his long-running patella tendinitis, while Swallow (knee bone bruising) is a few weeks behind him.

The Herald Sun revealed last week ruckman Tom Nicholls has Melbourne suitors including the Bulldogs, while small forward Brandon Matera also could request a trade.

He finally returned to a Suns team ravaged by injuries at the weekend and kicked three goals from 15 possessions.

Gary Ablett is in doubt for this weekend’s clash with Adelaide due to concussion.

But Prestia is staying optimistic through the tough times in the belief it will all be worth it in the long run.

“When we’re all back out there together, it’ll be a lot better than it has been in the past. That’s the way I’ll look at it,” he said.

Prestia also believes the top eight is not out of the question for the Suns — all they need is just one drought-breaking, confidence-boosting win to break them out of their slump.

“If we could just get one win and that could set us up for the rest of the year ... anything can happen,” Prestia said.

ledge
18-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Tomlinson another name mentioned

Twodogs
18-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Could the last one out switch off the light please?

bulldogtragic
18-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Tomlinson would be good, as would Nichols, May & Prestia as trades. Hurley & Watts as free agents would be good too.

Need to free up some cap, which surely has Minson going and perhaps Boyd if Murphy plays on. We might need to be prepared to move some ok players too. Could be a huge list management period to propel us up again.

lemmon
18-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't see what Nicholls brings that Campbell and Roughy aren't already. I think our ruck stocks are in a good place at the moment.

Tomlinson's an interesting one, talent but what do you do with him? I'd be tempted if he shows some more form as a half forward

Flamethrower
18-05-2016, 06:47 PM
According to those in the industry it would take a 5 year $4.5 to $5 million contract to convince Hurley to leave the Dons. Can't see us going down that path with Adams and Collins on our list.

Saad and Neale would be good additions at the right price.

GVGjr
18-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Neale is a good player but does he give us a significant point of difference to other smaller players we have on our list?
He's been at Freo for 5 years and would add some experience to our younger list.

I wonder what we would have to part with?

GVGjr
18-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Tomlinson would be good, as would Nichols, May & Prestia as trades. Hurley & Watts as free agents would be good too.

Need to free up some cap, which surely has Minson going and perhaps Boyd if Murphy plays on. We might need to be prepared to move some ok players too. Could be a huge list management period to propel us up again.

I was hopeful we would make a play for him last season but given that we didn't I'd say it's a remote chance at best.
His value might have dropped but it's unlikely.

1eyedog
18-05-2016, 08:51 PM
I was hopeful we would make a play for him last season but given that we didn't I'd say it's a remote chance at best.
His value might have dropped but it's unlikely.

You were heavily into him when Griffen left, I'm yet to see anything to get that excited about. That said his form this year has been very solid. He's been holding more marks and hitting the scoreboard and has the ability to pinch hit in the ruck, he's young so as you would expect he goes missing for long periods. He's got talent, but is still a big unknown.

I'd grab him if he was interested in us but they'd want something better than what I'd be prepared to give up.

ReLoad
18-05-2016, 09:40 PM
This one is a bit out there, but Will Hoskin-Elliott from the Giants, he really has stalled compared to where he was at 2 years ago and is a genuine quality player who clearly needs a change.

Wouldn't cost us much and would be a fantastic addition to the squad.

1eyedog
18-05-2016, 09:46 PM
This one is a bit out there, but Will Hoskin-Elliott from the Giants, he really has stalled compared to where he was at 2 years ago and is a genuine quality player who clearly needs a change.

Wouldn't cost us much and would be a fantastic addition to the squad.

Yes please! I fear that they'll be terrible to deal with for the rest of my life after the Boyd scenario. Also worth considering is that they'll go hard on us knowing we will be their number 1 competition over the next 5 years.

azabob
18-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Tom McDonald from Melbourne is out of contract. His form this year is ok, not as great as last year. Would cost a bit $$ wise but cheaper than Hurley.

comrade
18-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Tom McDonald from Melbourne is out of contract. His form this year is ok, not as great as last year. Would cost a bit $$ wise but cheaper than Hurley.

Would be a sensational get but he's the only decent key defender at Melbourne, so no chance they're giving him up.

azabob
18-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Would be a sensational get but he's the only decent key defender at Melbourne, so no chance they're giving him up.

If he wants out is a different story. Apparently he put contract talks on hold so he could see what direction Melbourne are going in.

Happy Days
18-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Tom McDonald is like Easton Wood but taller. Get him PLEASE he's such a jet.

KT31
19-05-2016, 09:16 AM

I mentioned to a mate on the weekend Tom would be a good get, unfortunately I cant see the Dee's parting with him.

LostDoggy
19-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Tom McDonald is like Easton Wood but taller. Get him PLEASE he's such a jet.

Make it happen BT.

EasternWest
19-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Good player. I'd take him.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Make it happen BT.

Say please... :D

lemmon
20-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Damo reported last night that GWS have to shed 600k, who do we circle?

1eyedog
20-05-2016, 01:17 PM

I'd go for WHE.

Has a good tank and some wheels and when in form kicks goals. He would be icing on our midfield cake. Plus he's a Sunshine boy so it would be a homecoming of sorts.

There was talk of him wanting to come home last year. His value will never be as low as it is right now.

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 01:19 PM

GVG has been keen on Tomlinson but I just don't see him being big enough for any key post. I think he's very gettable though, and he did have 44 in the seconds on the weekend. If we could get him cheap, maybe we could look to develop him as an "every other Wire album" to Bont's "Pink Flag".

I really like Lobb too, who would be perfect for us. Would probably cost too much though.

Testekill
20-05-2016, 01:26 PM
I would chase Adam Saad hard. He's super fast and with great skills, him on the opposite flank to Johannisen would be amazing to watch.

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Barrett (I know) suggesting that Brad Crouch might be coming back to Vic. He's obviously a super talent, but I just don't know if I could cop a guy who got suspended for sinking beers at the Clipsal 500.

The Underdog
20-05-2016, 01:43 PM
GVG has been keen on Tomlinson but I just don't see him being big enough for any key post. I think he's very gettable though, and he did have 44 in the seconds on the weekend. If we could get him cheap, maybe we could look to develop him as an "every other Wire album" to Bont's "Pink Flag".

I really like Lobb too, who would be perfect for us. Would probably cost too much though.

That's an obscure reference for the kids. Are you saying that Tomlinson could be Chairs Missing, underrated and secretly better than Bont? Is Patrick Cripps Elastica? So many questions

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 01:47 PM
That's an obscure reference for the kids. Are you saying that Tomlinson could be Chairs Missing, underrated and secretly better than Bont? Is Patrick Cripps Elastica? So many questions

No one is better than Bont, nothing is better than Pink Flag, DEFINITELY not Elastica. The "popular opinion" of Cripps being better than Bont is making me hate Cripps, and that's a damn shame. Tomlinson can be whatever that album they brought out last year was called.

Stringer in this analogy is obviously Loveless.

The Underdog
20-05-2016, 02:24 PM
No one is better than Bont, nothing is better than Pink Flag, DEFINITELY not Elastica. The "popular opinion" of Cripps being better than Bont is making me hate Cripps, and that's a damn shame. Tomlinson can be whatever that album they brought out last year was called.

I thought Cripps might be a one hit wonder using Bonts riffs without permission.

lemmon
20-05-2016, 02:31 PM
What about James Steward from GWS? They can't stockpile all these key forwards away in the NEAFL and not expect them to agitate a move.

kruder
20-05-2016, 02:32 PM
I'd go for WHE.

Has a good tank and some wheels and when in form kicks goals. He would be icing on our midfield cake. Plus he's a Sunshine boy so it would be a homecoming of sorts.

There was talk of him wanting to come home last year. His value will never be as low as it is right now.

Yeah agree 100%. He hasn't got the body right yet but we need some outside run and his height/reach can be a weapon also. The only query on him does he win enough of his own ball?

Ahern might also be up for grabs after his knee injury, sounds like he has plenty of talent.

Dancin' Douggy
20-05-2016, 02:35 PM
I can't believe anyone here would be chasing Jack Watts. His performance against us was pitiful.
Not just the raw data, but his body language and lack of intensity throughout the whole game.
Some cheap goals at the end from hovering out wide on a flank...meh. Then the big fist pump as if he's covered himself in glory when the game was well and truly unsalvageable.

There were some moments early in the game from him that were just..well...........weak.

Here is this glorious athlete, big, strong, fast and the number 1 pick.
Doesn't he have any ego? He never tries to take the game on. Never tries to assert himself.

He plays like a retired draught horse, not a cocky young stallion.

I don't like the way the Melbourne crowd booed him but...............geez, he's just so boo-able.

There was one passage of play early in the game that sums him up for me.

He's one on one on the boundary on the forward flank.

The ball comes tumbling towards him, he can easily gather the ball, take on the lone defender, and if he get's a decent disposal away, or better still eludes the defender and breaks clear, Melbourne are looking likely to score a goal.
Instead, he just lets the ball dribble over the line for a throw in. Helps it over in fact.
(admittedly the defender was Dale Morris)

But surely Watts must have an ego that says 'I'm gonna take Morris on, I'm 10 years younger,
I'm the new kid on the block, I'm gonna show him what I've got in front of my home crowd'
I"M JACK WATTS I"M NUMBER 1 GODDAMMMNITT!!!! Like Jake Stringer would do.

But he gives ya nuthin............. just a truckload of meh.

I saw that and I just thought, this kid has got no fire, no spark, no urge to strut his stuff, just wants to turn up, go through the motions and get paid at the end of the month.

Wouldn't touch him.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Blues, Saints target key Giants defender
CARLTON and St Kilda are understood to be among a raft of Victorian clubs eyeing off Greater Western Sydney defender Caleb Marchbank, who is coming out of contract at season's end.
However AFL.com.au understands the 19-year-old Marchbank is a required player at the Giants who is very much in the emerging club's plans, despite injury restricting him to senior football in just the opening two games of the AFL season.

story continues here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/blues-saints-target-key-giants-defender-)

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 02:53 PM
CARLTON and St Kilda are understood to be among a raft of Victorian clubs eyeing off Greater Western Sydney defender Caleb Marchbank, who is coming out of contract at season's end.
However AFL.com.au understands the 19-year-old Marchbank is a required player at the Giants who is very much in the emerging club's plans, despite injury restricting him to senior football in just the opening two games of the AFL season.

story continues here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/blues-saints-target-key-giants-defender-)

We should get him for no other reason other than to comprehensively demonstrate to the normies that we pissed in the Boyd trade.

Mofra
20-05-2016, 03:16 PM
James Stewart.
Make an offer for him, if it bumps up GWS' next contract with him by even $1 it would be worth it.

lemmon
20-05-2016, 03:17 PM
James Stewart.
Make an offer for him, if it bumps up GWS' next contract with him by even $1 it would be worth it.

Yep, he looked great against us a few years back

Axe Man
20-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Carlton, where rejected GWS recruits go to collect a final pay cheque before they retire.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Carlton, where rejected GWS recruits go to collect a final pay cheque before they retire.

Aren't they the biggest jokes in recruitment in the AFL.

1eyedog
20-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah agree 100%. He hasn't got the body right yet but we need some outside run and his height/reach can be a weapon also. The only query on him does he win enough of his own ball?

Ahern might also be up for grabs after his knee injury, sounds like he has plenty of talent.

With our midfield does he actually need to?

hujsh
20-05-2016, 05:04 PM

Speaking of, how do we think Plowman's going? I remember GVGjr being big on him and 'media' seems to think he's doing well.

I prefer to get WOOF's thoughts

Twodogs
20-05-2016, 05:14 PM
I can't believe anyone here would be chasing Jack Watts. His performance against us was pitiful.
Not just the raw data, but his body language and lack of intensity throughout the whole game.
Some cheap goals at the end from hovering out wide on a flank...meh. Then the big fist pump as if he's covered himself in glory when the game was well and truly unsalvageable.

There were some moments early in the game from him that were just..well...........weak.

Here is this glorious athlete, big, strong, fast and the number 1 pick.
Doesn't he have any ego? He never tries to take the game on. Never tries to assert himself.

He plays like a retired draught horse, not a cocky young stallion.

I don't like the way the Melbourne crowd booed him but...............geez, he's just so boo-able.

There was one passage of play early in the game. He's one on one on the boundary on the forward flank.

The ball comes towards him, he can easily gather the ball, take on the lone defender, and if he get's a decent disposal away, or better still eludes the defender and breaks clear, Melbourne are looking likely to score a goal.
Instead, he just lets the ball dribble over the line for a throw in. Helps it over in fact.
(admittedly the defender was Dale Morris)

But surely Watts must have an ego that says 'I'm gonna take Morris on, I'm 10 years younger,
I'm the new kid on the block, I'm gonna show him what I've got in front of my home crowd'
I"M JACK WATTS I"M NUMBER 1 GODDAMMMNITT!!!! Like Jake Stringer would do.

But he gives ya nuthin............. just a truckload of meh.

I saw that and I just thought, this kid has got no fire, no spark, no urge to strut his stuff, just wants to turn up, go through the motions and get paid at the end of the month.

Wouldn't touch him.

Yep. Surely you would think "come on old man" and take him on. You probably won't beat him but if you did you could tell your grandkids about the day you beat Dale Morris one on one.

We should get him for no other reason other than to comprehensively demonstrate to the normies that we pissed in the Boyd trade.

Yep. We need him.

Aren't they the biggest jokes in recruitment in the AFL.

Richmond.

1eyedog
20-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Yep. Surely you would think "come on old man" and take him on. You probably won't beat him but if you did you could tell your grandkids about the day you beat Dale Morris one on one.

Dale Morris eats Jack Watts cereal in the morning. The best result in that scenario for Jack was to trickle it out of bounds. He may be gutless but he's a smart footballer is Jack.

GVGjr
20-05-2016, 07:01 PM

Tomlinson is very unlikely to be available because he has a contract. I was never concerned about his height because at 193cm if you are good enough you will be big enough.

There has to be some questions on his durability now so I don't think we would consider trading for him.

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Tomlinson is very unlikely to be available because he has a contract. I was never concerned about his height because at 193cm if you are good enough you will be big enough.

There has to be some questions on his durability now so I don't think we would consider trading for him.

I didn't mean his height, I have doubts over the other aspects of his "bigness". He looks like he's seriously carving the NEAFL playing up the ground anyway.

With the Giants looking to shed cash, does it really matter if he's contracted? He can't be happy getting 35 touches every week only to not get picked the next.

GVGjr
20-05-2016, 07:19 PM
I didn't mean his height, I have doubts over the other aspects of his "bigness". He looks like he's seriously carving the NEAFL playing up the ground anyway.

With the Giants looking to shed cash, does it really matter if he's contracted? He can't be happy getting 35 touches every week only to not get picked the next.

His contract with GWS 'might' be superior to what we would be prepared to pay so it might come into consideration.
The concern is that he probably hasn't made one position his own yet and for us the emergence of Adams and Collins via last years draft would indicate we have addressed any gaps in the back line. With Crameri coming back into our forward line it's probably also cramped.

I'd say he is an unlikely target.

GVGjr
20-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Speaking of, how do we think Plowman's going? I remember GVGjr being big on him and 'media' seems to think he's doing well.

I prefer to get WOOF's thoughts

FWIW, Carlton supporters seem pretty happy with him and I thought he played well against us when pitted against Stringer.

Twodogs
20-05-2016, 07:33 PM
His contract with GWS 'might' be superior to what we would be prepared to pay so it might come into consideration.
The concern is that he probably hasn't made one position his own yet and for us the emergence of Adams and Collins via last years draft would indicate we have addressed any gaps in the back line. With Crameri coming back into our forward line it's probably also cramped.

It sounds like there wouldn't be much point him coming across anyway as he would just be on another list with a wealth of players similar to him.

Dry Rot
21-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Apparently Neale is going to the Bombers and Tomlinson wants to return to Victoria FWIW.

Twodogs
21-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Tomlinson needs to go to a club that will play him in the seniors. He won't get any better playing in the NEAFL.

GVGjr
21-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Apparently Neale is going to the Bombers and Tomlinson wants to return to Victoria FWIW.

Seems a surprising move for Neale. He's been used to finals footy and even with players returning you would have to think that Essendon will struggle next season. I'm also convinced they've had to pay overs to keep some of their guys which should shrink their ability to spend up on players.

Twodogs
21-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Seems a surprising move for Neale. He's been used to finals footy and even with players returning you would have to think that Essendon will struggle next season. I'm also convinced they've had to pay overs to keep some of their guys which should shrink their ability to spend up on players.

Essendon could do with a player like Neale though. He'd fit several of their criteria.

LostDoggy
22-05-2016, 01:45 AM
Barrett (I know) suggesting that Brad Crouch might be coming back to Vic. He's obviously a super talent, but I just don't know if I could cop a guy who got suspended for sinking beers at the Clipsal 500.

Sinking beers at the clipsal? Should be suspended if he didn't.

LostDoggy
22-05-2016, 02:00 AM

Sorry, I have Bont as Zeppelin, morris as sabbath, Wallis as acdc, Libba as slip knot, koby as(early) Metallica, macrae as iron maiden, stringer as deathlok, hunter as Bon Jovi, wood as SOAD, Maclean as van halen, Adams as Slayer, redpath as rob zombie.murph is cat empire, Jj can be frenzal rhomb.

Bulldog Revolution
22-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Ive always fancied Prestia but I'm not sure another small is exactly what we need, but he's dynamic and explosive - they won't want him to go, as the air to Ablett but he looks read to depart

My view is Tomlinson and Stewart will be eased out for opportunity and salary cap relief. We may knock on the door of Nick Haynes again

Neale is looking for a big deal and I just can't see Freo letting him go

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Ive always fancied Prestia but I'm not sure another small is exactly what we need, but he's dynamic and explosive - they won't want him to go, as the air to Ablett but he looks read to depart

He's a very good player and would attract a number of suitors. For us we would almost need to trade the likes of Hrovat and/or Honeychurch to be in a position to trade for him.

My view is Tomlinson and Stewart will be eased out for opportunity and salary cap relief. We may knock on the door of Nick Haynes again

You might be right. Carlton were keen on Tomlinson last year and perhaps Collingwood would feel compelled to make a play for Stewart. Stewart in particular is one of those players I think many clubs would be interested in.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Nathan Vardy if he shows he can stay fit?

Geelong have Stanley, Smith & Blicavs as their apparent best three ruckman and they have two developing rucks also.

azabob
22-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Nathan Vardy if he shows he can stay fit?

Geelong have Stanley, Smith & Blicavs as their apparent best three ruckman and they have two developing rucks also.

Ah, in theory, great idea.

But the reason Geelong went out and got Stanley and Smith was because Vardy cannot stay fit.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Ah, in theory, great idea.

But the reason Geelong went out and got Stanley and Smith was because Vardy cannot stay fit.

That should make him cheap then. :D

Twodogs
22-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Neale is looking for a big deal and I just can't see Freo letting him go

Big Prestia fan. Have been from the first time I saw him play for GC. We keep saying "we don't need another inside mid" but for whatever reason we keep adding them and the team gets better. I think you can't have enough good footballers on your list. I'd love to make a play for him.

And I don't want to get involved in a frantic bidding war for Neale. Freo won't want to let him go either so we'd be trying to convince him and Freo. Hopefully the other clubs will be all over Neale and Freo leaving us to pick the eyes out of the expansion clubs and Essendon.

That should make him cheap then. :D

Careful now. You've got that magic power. Be careful what you wish for.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 06:56 PM
This game and North have exposed us in depth of another tall forward. Watts (FA) & Vardy are the two I can think of who are gettable, but are they going to fix it enough?

Mantis
22-05-2016, 07:00 PM
This game and North have exposed us in depth of another tall forward. Watts (FA) & Vardy are the two I can think of who are gettable, but are they going to fix it enough?

With Boyd, Redpath and Crameri to come into the team we aren't that bad off.

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 07:09 PM

I guess the thing that we need to be mindful of is much the Australian test selectors ongoing search for all-rounders, we can certainly get players who on paper meet some of our requirements but more often than not just add depth more than what we genuinely need.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 07:12 PM
With Boyd, Redpath and Crameri to come into the team we aren't that bad off.

True, but that's the extent of our cupboard. I like Campbell & Roughy rucking, but my faith of either them being a decent forward has gone now. Some real competition for spots should in theory be a good thing and cover injuries and suspensions.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 07:15 PM
I guess the thing that we need to be mindful of is much the Australian test selectors ongoing search for all-rounders, we can certainly get players who on paper meet some of our requirements but more often than not just add depth more than what we genuinely need.

I guess that was my question. If Vardy came at a good trade or Watts via FA, would that be worth the investment in trade or money? Is our forward KPPs sufficiently well stocked?

Mantis
22-05-2016, 07:19 PM
True, but that's the extent of our cupboard. I like Campbell & Roughy rucking, but my faith of either them being a decent forward has gone now. Some real competition for spots should in theory be a good thing and cover injuries and suspensions.

It is thin, but hard to get someone decent to possibly just be back-up.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 07:22 PM
It is thin, but hard to get someone decent to be possibly just be back-up.

It's a fair point, which leaves free agency which narrows the search to pretty much Vickery or Watts.

bornadog
22-05-2016, 07:37 PM
It's a fair point, which leaves free agency which narrows the search to pretty much Vickery or Watts.

I still think a more pressing need is in the backline, a 198cm plus CHB/FB

lemmon
22-05-2016, 07:41 PM
I still think a more pressing need is in the backline, a 198cm plus CHB/FB

I think when we've been found out this year it's been highlighted by an inability to score, the defence has always been okay. Whether a group Roberts/Collins/Adams/Cordy/Hamling will be the answer in the future I'm not sure, but at least it's somewhere we have depth.

I like the idea of targetting the expansion clubs and making them work to keep guys like James Stewart and Tomlinson

bornadog
22-05-2016, 07:43 PM
I think when we've been found out this year it's been highlighted by an inability to score, the defence has always been okay. Whether a group Roberts/Collins/Adams/Cordy/Hamling will be the answer in the future I'm not sure, but at least it's somewhere we have depth.

Crameri will be back next year, which will make a big difference. Plus we have Redpath and Boyd.

Remi Moses
22-05-2016, 07:45 PM
I think who we have out is rather significant here .
Watts has no second effort, and Vardy can't get on the park .

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 07:52 PM
I guess that was my question. If Vardy came at a good trade or Watts via FA, would that be worth the investment in trade or money? Is our forward KPPs sufficiently well stocked?

Here is a hypothetical challenge we face with recruiting a player like James Stewart who is the type of player we probably need to consider

- Could he play in a team that has a forward line of Boyd, Crameri, Stringer, Dickson, Bontempelli and has Redpath knocking on the door?
- If we said lets play him mainly as a forward and use him as that 5 minutes per quarter ruckman instead of Tom Boyd then could that still work with our current ruck tandem of Campbell and Roughead? Does that mean Roughead needs to go into the back line a bit more?

The only way I could see it working is to delist Redpath, which would be a harsh call, return Roughead to the back line and use both Stewart and Tom Boyd as that back up ruck option to support Campbell.

Strangely our list is still a bit misaligned. We still have some gaps but it's increasingly hard to fit players in unless we are prepared to make some very hard calls.

lemmon
22-05-2016, 07:57 PM
The other thing to consider is how well clubs are doing playing three big guys up forward and how they're managing that. Adelaide, North, GWS, Geelong at times, even St Kilda and Melbourne seem to be trying to play very tall up front with us and Hawthorn going the other way.

Doc26
22-05-2016, 07:58 PM
GWS's elite talent is where we should be targeting in the coming seasons. Nick Haynes should be coming out of contract at the end of 2017 at a great age of 25 and would be an ideal target for us given his talent and flexibility. Hopefully the lure back to Melbourne might be a strong point. Continuing on the speculation theme, Daniel McStay, at Brisbane, is another we might be interested in given he also is a Melbourne lad, best mates with Tom Boyd and with Brisbane likely to be in turmoil while Leppitsch is at the wheel.

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 08:19 PM
The other thing to consider is how well clubs are doing playing three big guys up forward and how they're managing that. Adelaide, North, GWS, Geelong at times, even St Kilda and Melbourne seem to be trying to play very tall up front with us and Hawthorn going the other way.

Great point. The general consensus is two key forwards is a good option but a number of sides are bucking that trend and squeezing in another tall. Does it come down to how many mid sized players are also playing forward?

North tend to have 3 talls, and 3 smalls. Brown backs up the durable Goldstein and Nahas, Thomas and Harvey apply a bit of pressure when the ball hits the ground.

Twodogs
22-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Great point. The general consensus is two key forwards is a good option but a number of sides are bucking that trend and squeezing in another tall. Does it come down to how many mid sized players are also playing forward?

North tend to have 3 talls, and 3 smalls. Brown backs up the durable Goldstein and Nahas, Thomas and Harvey apply a bit of pressure when the ball hits the ground.

North have radically gone back to organising their forward line the way forward lines were set up for a hundred years.

kruder
22-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Here is a hypothetical challenge we face with recruiting a player like James Stewart who is the type of player we probably need to consider

- Could he play in a team that has a forward line of Boyd, Crameri, Stringer, Dickson, Bontempelli and has Redpath knocking on the door?
- If we said lets play him mainly as a forward and use him as that 5 minutes per quarter ruckman instead of Tom Boyd then could that still work with our current ruck tandem of Campbell and Roughead? Does that mean Roughead needs to go into the back line a bit more?

The only way I could see it working is to delist Redpath, which would be a harsh call, return Roughead to the back line and use both Stewart and Tom Boyd as that back up ruck option to support Campbell.

Strangely our list is still a bit misaligned. We still have some gaps but it's increasingly hard to fit players in unless we are prepared to make some very hard calls.

If we were playing a final next week, going on form this year and last and both were available who would you chose out of Redpath and Boyd?

LostDoggy
23-05-2016, 12:04 AM
I think a player on our shortlist would be the yet to re-sign Michael Apeness.

Happy Days
23-05-2016, 01:04 PM
I think a player on our shortlist would be the yet to re-sign Michael Apeness.

Why?

Tomlinson 52 touches in the NEAFL GVG...thinking he's a midfielder for sure now.

Ozza
23-05-2016, 01:18 PM
If we were playing a final next week, going on form this year and last and both were available who would you chose out of Redpath and Boyd?

Redpath.

jeemak
23-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Both, and leave one of Roughead or Campbell out of the side.

GVGjr
23-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Why?

Tomlinson 52 touches in the NEAFL GVG...thinking he's a midfielder for sure now.

A Bont like 193cm midfielder.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2016, 07:18 PM
A Bont like 193cm midfielder.

GWS would want a fair bit then, assuming he picked the dogs.

GVGjr
23-05-2016, 10:16 PM
GWS would want a fair bit then, assuming he picked the dogs.

They can't demand a lot if he isn't being played. I suspect he might land at Carlton if he is traded.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2016, 10:26 PM
They can't demand a lot if he isn't being played. I suspect he might land at Carlton if he is traded.

Then he's a dim wit. Carlton is where GWS players go to have their careers die.

soupman
24-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Then he's a dim wit. Carlton is where GWS players go to have their careers die.

I think it's quite the opposite really. Carlton is where GWS fringe players who will be delisted if they continue their current form another year go so that they can get three year contracts and become "good solid players". Liam Jones and Jason Tutt are an excellent example of players dying careers (or at the very least "time spent on an AFL list with AFL wages") being extended by the Blues ineptness.

Carlton is the fringe player career extender.

KT31
24-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Carlton is the fringe player career extender.

Ecker Nirvana.:)

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Carlton the ecker extender.

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 02:05 PM
It's quite a phenomenon isn't it? They gave away a decentsh draft pick for three players was it? The kids have walked into Carlton's team though. According to an article from a couple of weeks ago. I don't really pay them much attention. I had to be reminded last week that we had already played them this year.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Jake Nial reporting: Brisbane makes lucrative offer to out of contract Crow Josh Jenkins, believed to be worth close to $750,000 per season.

Out of our price range? Would we consider him?

GVGjr
24-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Jake Nial reporting: Brisbane makes lucrative offer to out of contract Crow Josh Jenkins, believed to be worth close to $750,000 per season.

Out of our price range? Would we consider him?

Sounds a bit rich for me but he could fit into our side perfectly

bulldogtragic
24-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Sounds a bit rich for me but he could fit into our side perfectly

I would. I'd move on Minson for salary cap, and trade Roughead for salary and whatever we can get. Maybe the Crows might be interested in him, a pick and with Hamilton steak knives in a trade?

Campbell our main ruckman, Jenkins & Boyd as alternating pinch hitters in the ruck. Redpath our back up KPF. Then go shopping for a mature ruckman as cover for Campbell with Goetz developing (hopefully).

HF: McLean Stringer Crameri
F: Jenkins Boyd Dickson

That's a scary forward outfit if we learn to kick into the 50 properly.

Ozza
24-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Jenkins goes well at Adelaide in amongst Tex, Betts and Lynch.

I'm not convinced he would go that well as the main man at Brisbane. He's a good player - but not good enough to be one of your highest 2 or 3 players.

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Perfect time for him to cash in.

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I would. I'd move on Minson for salary cap, and trade Roughead for salary and whatever we can get. Maybe the Crows might be interested in him, a pick and with Hamilton steak knives in a trade?

Campbell our main ruckman, Jenkins & Boyd as alternating pinch hitters in the ruck. Redpath our back up KPF. Then go shopping for a mature ruckman as cover for Campbell with Goetz developing (hopefully).

HF: McLean Stringer Crameri
F: Jenkins Boyd Dickson

That's a scary forward outfit if we learn to kick into the 50 properly.

Would you trade one of our other forwards out for him?

bulldogtragic
24-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Would you trade one of our other forwards out for him?

No, I'd like serious competition for the two KPF spots. If Redders can earn his spot at the expense of Boyd, Jenkins or Stringer (Crameri, Dickson & McLean obviously are smalls) then that's great and then whoever gets dropped needs to fight back. We also need another tall forward for depth of an injury or suspension. I think it makes us an attractive destinations for Jenkins, as Ozza says Jenkins is going to do his most damage with a multi skilled forward line of top end talent. Much how Gunston is far more damaging when he had Buddy & Roughy around drawing the main defenders.

I think it allows for more maximum flexibility for Bevo too. We can have our main ruckman (Campbell) and alternate the second ruck between Boyd & Jenkins with who is the best match up at the time.

But we'd have to offer up something decent for this to be realistic. Our current first rounder would be pick 13 which seems too high and our second pick 31 which is too low, on its own. Then we have to put up some capital, id consider offers on Roughy, Stevens, Hrovat to see the market value and if direct, an SA kid like Hamilton as steak knives.

Long term the backline looks solid. The inside mids too. This would secure the forward line until Jenkins & Dicko's would retire in 5/6 years. Then we need to find some extra midfield silk.

Happy Days
24-05-2016, 10:08 PM
No, I'd like serious competition for the two KPF spots. If Redders can earn his spot at the expense of Boyd, Jenkins or Stringer (Crameri, Dickson & McLean obviously are smalls) then that's great and then whoever gets dropped needs to fight back. We also need another tall forward for depth of an injury or suspension. I think it makes us an attractive destinations for Jenkins, as Ozza says Jenkins is going to do his most damage with a multi skilled forward line of top end talent. Much how Gunston is far more damaging when he had Buddy & Roughy around drawing the main defenders.

I think it allows for more maximum flexibility for Bevo too. We can have our main ruckman (Campbell) and alternate the second ruck between Boyd & Jenkins with who is the best match up at the time.

But we'd have to offer up something decent for this to be realistic. Our current first rounder would be pick 13 which seems too high and our second pick 31 which is too low, on its own. Then we have to put up some capital, id consider offers on Roughy, Stevens, Hrovat to see the market value and if direct, an SA kid like Hamilton as steak knives.

Long term the backline looks solid. The inside mids too. This would secure the forward line until Jenkins & Dicko's would retire in 5/6 years. Then we need to find some extra midfield silk.

Let's say Jenkins comes over for $500k - if there's only 2 spots for key forwards, how would you feel about tying up $1.5k in two guys and potentially not picking one of them?

bulldogtragic
24-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Let's say Jenkins comes over for $500k - if there's only 2 spots for key forwards, how would you feel about tying up $1.5k in two guys and potentially not picking one of them?

Boyd & Jenkins are easily best 22. If Redders form is so strong that it can't be ignored and he maintains it at AFL level that's fine by me. But I'd happily back Boyd & Jenkins (covering second ruck duties too) in and those two with Stringer, Crameri, Dickson & McLean as a forward line to kick winning scores every week with good supply.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Boyd & Jenkins are easily best 22. If Redders form is so strong that it can't be ignored and he maintains it at AFL level that's fine by me. But I'd happily back Boyd & Jenkins (covering second ruck duties too) in and those two with Stringer, Crameri, Dickson & McLean as a forward line to kick winning scores every week with good supply.

Redders to CHB?

bornadog
25-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Now this is who we should be chasing

Demons stand firm as Tom McDonald holds off on contract (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-demons-stand-firm-as-tom-mcdonald-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html)

Melbourne's Tom McDonald has delayed putting pen to paper on a long-term deal which would tie him to the Demons until at least 2020.It is understood the talented key defender has stalled negotiations, leaving potential suitors under the impression that he may be open to leaving.
But Melbourne remain adamant the offer on the table to the 23-year-old will not be increased as the club works to retain its growing list of young guns, headed by West Australian Jesse Hogan, who has put off contract talks to the end of the season.

(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-demons-stand-firm-as-tom-mcdonald-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html)

GVGjr
25-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Now this is who we should be chasing

Demons stand firm as Tom McDonald holds off on contract (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-demons-stand-firm-as-tom-mcdonald-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html)

(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-demons-stand-firm-as-tom-mcdonald-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html)

BAD, what are you prepared to offer to get him?

bulldogtragic
25-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Redders to CHB?

Hawthorn went into 2015 with having Roughy, Gunston, Cicily, O'Brien (MvEvoy & Ceglar)
North with Petrie, Waite, Brown (Goldstein, Daw)
GWS with Cameron, Patton, McCarthy, Lobb and others (Mumford etc)
Sydney with Buddy, Tippett, Reid, Johnson (Sinclair, Derikz, Nankervis)
WCE with Kennedy, Darling, Nic Nat (Lycett)

We have Tom Boyd (raw), Redders (raw in experience) and Stringer we are expecting ludicrous things from (Roughy, Campbell, Minson in name only it seems for the balance of 2016).

I think we can afford to modify the list to go to three big forwards on the list (who can also play second ruck) and two ruckman on the primary list. If three KPFs all in form, these teams show you can squeeze them in and win.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 12:35 AM
They are all good arguments BT. I like the Gunston point, you'd have to think someone or even sometwo out of those six would be sure to get ff the leash each week. You couldn't cover all of them.

I'd be worried having that much of the cap tied up in two players though.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2016, 12:51 AM
They are all good arguments BT. I like the Gunston point, you'd have to think someone or even sometwo out of those six would be sure to get ff the leash each week. You couldn't cover all of them.

I'd be worried having that much of the cap tied up in two players though.

As the cap increases, the percentage of the cap used on them reduces. Or you look at the cheaper option of Watts/Vickery, or if Brisbane are offering a big offer perhaps McStay is possibly going to add to the exodus too. He'd still cost a bit.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Wouldn't mind Watts. I reckon he could be a decent player in a good team with some good habits.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2016, 02:42 AM
Wouldn't mind Watts. I reckon he could be a decent player in a good team with some good habits.

As a free agent at the right price, I'm with you. I wonder how he will take it with all the younger KPPs getting offered a lot more money than he's getting. He's a smart bloke, surely he realises it's time to start a fresh and leave booing 'fans' in his past.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 10:10 AM
BAD, what are you prepared to offer to get him?

He is the missing link, I would give up a lot to get him, but I need to think of what would be palatable for Melbourne.

Next year we may have to do a Geelong.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 10:20 AM
He is the missing link, I would give up a lot to get him, but I need to think of what would be palatable for Melbourne.

Next year we may have to do a Geelong.

Players or picks... or both?

bornadog
25-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Players or picks... or both?

I think both. It is well worth it to get another KPP.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I think both. It is well worth it to get another KPP.

Who are we talking?

Mofra
25-05-2016, 11:06 AM
With Crameri coming back into our forward line it's probably also cramped.

Crameri doesn;t stay 100% in the forwardlien though - pretty much nobody does at the Bulldogs.
We need a mobile marking high forward more than a traditional no. 1 KPF who anchors himself tot he square anyway.

Just wonder if Tomlinson is the player we're looking for? Some question marks on him from GWS supporters

SlimPickens
25-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Just wonder if Tomlinson is the player we're looking for? Some question marks on him from GWS supporters

I call bullshit! GWS don't have any supporters!

bornadog
25-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Who are we talking?

I thought we were discussing McDonald from Melbourne. We went all out to get Boyd in the forward line, so lets get a key established back. (easier said than done).

Mantis
25-05-2016, 11:40 AM
I thought we were discussing McDonald from Melbourne. We went all out to get Boyd in the forward line, so lets get a key established back. (easier said than done).

I'm talking about the players we need to offer Melb to get McDonald.. I guess looking at what they lack.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Here is a list from HUN (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/who-is-on-your-clubs-trade-radar/news-story/ac916443b61110fd25a08dca6aa89760)on those that may be available.
ADELAIDE
Brad Crouch – Talented midfielder yet to live up to the hype. Out of contract at season’s end and copped an internal suspension in pre-season. Way to go in negotiations. Ballarat boy who we thought could be a star.

Josh Jenkins – Having a breakout season and looking for long-term security. The Lions are coming hard with an offer believed to be about $700,000 a season, but reckon Crows get the deal done.
Scott Thompson – In a form slump. Richmond has showed some interest in the past. Free agent but chance to retire.

BRISBANE LIONS
Lewis Taylor – Negotiations have hit a snag, with the club and player still well apart. Rising Star winner was dropped to the NEAFL and has not kicked on since his brilliant debut season. Essendon is keeping an eye on him.

Sam Mayes – Similar situation to James Aish last year. The top-10 draft pick is a big chance to head home to South Australia and would have returned to Port Adelaide last year if not for a 2016 contract. Lions are looking for more contested ball winners.

Josh Green – Part of the Lions’ mosquito fleet but spent last weekend in the NEAFL team. Not sure Brisbane will pay big bucks.

Daniel Merrett – Unrestricted free agent who drew interest from Melbourne and Western Bulldogs last year. Like James Frawley, Merrett could go hunting a flag elsewhere.

CARLTON
Levi Casboult – Hit career-best form before his knee buckled against Port Adelaide. Expect him to stay on decent money, despite kicking issues. Carlton’s main man for the next couple of years.
COLLINGWOOD
Travis Cloke – The Pies will dangle the carrot and maybe Richmond could take the bait if the Tigers can’t hold on to Ty Vickery or Ben Griffiths. His salary drops to about $400,000 next year, so not super expensive. A team would have to be a premiership chance to bother.

Jarrod Witts – One of the most interesting targets this year, given he would hold significant appeal for a rival club chasing a No.1 ruckman. Pies want to keep him and talks continue on a new deal. Don’t be surprised if clubs such as Port Adelaide or GWS have a crack.

Nathan Brown – Free agent who is competing with Jack Frost, Jeremy Howe, Ben Reid and the returning Lachlan Keeffe for a spot in the backline. Another one who could be chased at season’s end. No new deal coming anytime soon.

Dane Swan – Wants to play in the latter part of the season but whether he goes again next year will hinge on his recovery from foot surgery and the team’s fortunes. Will get a nice payout if he retires.

Jarryd Blair – Out of contract and no certainty to be offered a new deal by Pies, despite a spike in form. Blue-collar small forward.
ESSENDON
Michael Hurley – The big fish every club would love. Talk of big bucks at Richmond is off the mark and gut feel is he remains with his mates next year. Contracted but Bombers say they won’t stand in the way of anyone who wants to leave from the Essendon 12.

Jobe Watson – Weighing things up while he makes coffees in New York. His father says its either Bombers or retirement for the much-loved skipper. Losing his Brownlow Medal may not help his motivation levels and love for the game.

Tayte Pears – May walk from the game to become a fireman. Not going to break the bank.

Brent Stanton – Bombers have guaranteed their suspended players a replica contract in in 2017, meaning Stanton can return to his one-year deal.

Brendon Goddard – Out of contract this year but all indications are he will stay. Has received a lot of positive feedback for his leadership as stand-in skipper.
FREMANTLE
Chris Mayne – Prime utility who is unlikely to be part of the Dockers’ rebuild. Wonder whether North would look at him to bolster the back half and swing forward. Rated highly for his two-way game and could be used as a pawn in Fremantle’s bid to land a big fish, such as Cam McCarthy or Jesse Hogan.

Lachie Neale – Breakthrough in negotiations in past two weeks should see the contested-ball winner remain in the west. Interest has been high but indications are he will remain a Docker on decent money.

Michael Barlow – Out of contract and has just about had his papers stamped by Lyon, but showing he is still too good for second-tier football. Can still win the footy but pace a concern and not the midfield linchpin he once was.

Zac Clarke – Form has seriously waned and knees are a worry. Best appears to be behind him but could appeal as a back-up big man.

Tendai Mzungu – Another fallen Docker who could be forced to return to the WALL.

Matt de Boer – Beloved team man but also been pushed out of Lyon’s side. Role player with limited upside.
GEELONG
Billie Smedts – Cats have long kept the faith and was best-afield for the VFL side on Sunday. You get the feeling the next three months are make or break for the early pick.

Nathan Vardy – Cats are flush for big men and this injury-prone tall has been relegated to VFL duties. Any trade interest would be subject to medical screening of his troublesome hips.

GOLD COAST
Jaeger O’Meara – All the talk is Hawthorn is keen on the silken ball winner and Rising Star. But would a club pay huge money given his patella tendon problems? Everything hinges on his impending return. O’Meara has said the constant change in the club’s fitness department has not been ideal.

Dion Prestia – Reckon he comes back to Melbourne. A long queue of clubs keen including Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton.

David Swallow – Contracted until next season but North Melbourne has long been a fan. Roos high-performance man Steve Saunders took charge of his medical management in the off-season and captain Andrew Swallow would love to play with his brother. But Kangas would only seriously chase if they are confident his knee is on the mend.

Tom Nicholls – Was expected to take the No.1 ruck mantle when Zac Smith left but is languishing in NEAFL with Rodney Eade preferring Dan Currie. Athletic big man with upside but preference is to stay at Suns. Talks on a new deal still in embryonic stages.

Sam Day – No.3 draft pick who hasn’t blossomed into a star. Out of contract South Australian with strong links to the Crows and Power.

Adam Saad – Dashing defender has looked like the Suns’ most damaging player under Eade, but has been linked to a swift return to Melbourne to be closer to family. One Gold Coast can’t afford to let go.

Gary Ablett – Won’t leave.

Jack Martin – Contracted until the end of next year and clubs including Essendon watching closely.

Dion Prestia is likely to be playing for a Victorian team next year.

GWS GIANTS
Adam Tomlinson – Has had 96 possessions in the past fortnight in the reserves. Looks a certainty to leave. Carlton and St Kilda made bold bids at the end of last year’s trade period.

Jack Steele – Another gun academy prospect who would be in every other club’s best 22. North Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond and Western Bulldogs all liked him in his draft year. Super tough ball winner.

Will Hoskin-Elliott – Purchased a Yarraville property at the start of the year and another chance to request a trade home. A fringe player at the Giants who will be chased hard despite 2017 contract.

Caleb Marchbank – Could Stephen Silvagni snag another GWS offcut? The Blues wanted to draft this key defender who has battled injuries.

Jonathan Patton –Bought a $1.24 million home in Richmond last month but is contracted until 2017. Has overcome two ACLs and is playing good footy, pinch-hitting in the backline at times.

James Stewart – Another talented tall who can’t crack the best 22 and is coming out of contract.

Cam McCarthy – Reckon there is already a deal in place to send him home to Fremantle.

MELBOURNE
Neville Jetta – Free agent who has transformed from a lockdown backman to a damaging rebound man. Price rising and obvious interest is from West Australian clubs, but appears likely to stay put.

Lynden Dunn – Contracted for next year but losing grip on a regular senior spot at Melbourne. Any trade offers would be considered.

Chris Dawes – Has struggled to stay out on the park due to recurring injury issues and will be forced to accept a significant pay cut if he is re-signed by the Demons.

Tom McDonald – An important player for Melbourne but yet to put pen to paper. Melbourne won’t give him the world but hard to see him leaving the club as it finally begins to climb the ladder.

Jack Watts – Is in career-best form and is expected to recommit despite the lure of free agency. Has been through hell and unlikely to hit the eject button now.

Jack Grimes – Free agent has not played a single senior game at Melbourne this year. Potentially doesn’t use the ball well enough. Will go elsewhere if there is any interest.

NORTH MELBOURNE
Aaron Black – Has rediscovered some form in the VFL this season after a dreaded campaign last year. Has long been linked to Fremantle but remains contracted at Arden St until the end of 2017, on good money. Kangaroos could hold onto him for another season unless there is a decent trade offer.

Mason Wood – Has emerged as one of the most sought-after players in the country on the back of his continued strong VFL form. Mobile and hard-running forward can play deep in attack and on a wing. Fremantle heads a pack of chasing clubs.

Lindsay Thomas – Free agent was linked to Port Adelaide a couple of years ago. Roos have Taylor Garner, Kayne Turner and Jed Anderson emerging in the small forward stakes so Roos won’t pay overs to keep Thomas.

Majak Daw – Out of contract and yet to enter talks with the Roos. Will emerge as a hot target given his glittering highlight reel and inability to crack a North Melbourne team flush with quality talls. Brisbane publicly denied interest but is believed to be keen and he could be a good fit at Fremantle.

Lachie Hansen – Would consider trade options after playing only one senior game this season. Had some hip problems but no longer in best 22. Repeat concussions a concern.

PORT ADELAIDE
John Butcher – The forward with a dodgy kicking action was given another year to prove himself but is yet to be seen this year. Would anybody touch him?

Angus Monfries – The Power have publicly refused to guarantee Monfries’ future when he returns from his drug ban.

Jay Schulz – A serious back problem wrecked his season and Charlie Dixon is playing well in his absence. If Schulz is OK medically would another club entice the sharpshooter who turns 32 next season?

Tom Clurey – Contracted until 2017 and has declared he will fight for a place in Port’s backline, but doesn’t seem to be in Ken Hinkley’s plans.

Matthew Lobbe – Chased hard by the Dogs late last year, and they would be glad they missed out. Form has fallen and with Ryder set to return you wonder what that means for Lobbe.

RICHMOND
Ben Griffiths – Played the best game of his career to get the Tigers over the line against Sydney, but remains out of contract at season’s end. Rival clubs are watching closely and could come over the top with a bigger offer, but his up and down form has left some unsure.

Ty Vickery – Free agent was thought to be close to re-signing last year but a new deal is still not done, leaving the door ajar for a Fremantle or Brisbane to swoop. Just not sure whether he can become a top-liner.

Liam McBean – Wants to break through for a regular senior game in the back half of the season but has not capitalised on his VFL appearances this year. Out of contract at season’s end and open to more opportunities elsewhere.

Todd Elton – Unclear if he can make it at AFL level.

Ben Lennon – Re-signed late last year but has played only two senior games this season. Richmond still has high hopes for the classy ball-user and No.12 pick.

Brett Deledio – Will stay despite talk a trade would accelerate a rebuild.
ST KILDA
Billy Longer – The high draft pick has fallen well behind Tom Hickey and is now in the ruck pack with Lewis Pierce and American Jason Holmes. Athletic former Lion is out of contract at the end of the season.

Tom Lee – Has been given a heap of chances but was dropped after a rebirth in defence this season. Might have played his last AFL game.
SYDNEY SWANS
Zak Jones – Melbourne captain Nathan Jones would love to get his hard nut younger brother to the Dees, despite him re-signing at Sydney last year.

Tom Mitchell – Carlton has long been a fan of the Swans’ hard nut midfielder, who is an elite ball-winner and played the best game of his career shutting down Hawks star Sam Mitchell last weekend. His management has begun talking with the Swans but don’t be surprised if the Blues make a bold bid for the on-baller.

Sam Reid – Contracted until the end of next season and would love to get his body right so he can settle his position in defence.

Gary Rohan – Will become an unrestricted free agent next year. Will be happier now that he is back in the senior side, but will attract strong Victorian interest next season.
WEST COAST EAGLES
Josh Hill – Not sure the Eagles are rushing into a new deal for Hill while there is a chance to sign homesick Giant Cam McCarthy.

Tom Lamb – Hasn’t fully settled in the west and is expected to come back home to Victoria, if there is any interest at season’s end. Grandson of premiership Saint Ian Cooper.

Mitch Brown – Has had no luck with injuries and has been leapfrogged by Jeremy McGovern. St Kilda has previously been a fan of the free agent.

Andrew Gaff – One of the best wingmen in the competition continues to fly under the radar. Out of contract at season’s end but expected to stay at West Coast, unless a Victorian club comes from the clouds with a massive offer. Won last year’s best-and-fairest.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 12:01 PM
^^^^

Nothing mentioned about us?

Lewis Taylor - brilliant debut season?.. Spare me.

WHE - Is Yarraville close to Whitten Oval?

Axe Man
25-05-2016, 12:17 PM
^^^^

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Nathan Hrovat – Was used as trade bait last year and now comes out of contract. Could be surplus to the Dogs’ needs with plenty of similar types. Returned from an ankle injury in the VFL last Sunday and faces an important back half of the season.

Koby Stevens – Price is rising but expect the former Eagle to stay. Important inside midfielder who tackles hard.

Tom Campbell – Has emerged as the clear No.1 ruckman and certain to stay at the kennel. New deal might not be far away.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2016, 12:30 PM
So we only came up as a destination club with Sauce Merrett... So they think we are not trading?

KT31
25-05-2016, 12:30 PM
^^^^

Lewis Taylor - brilliant debut season?.. Spare me.

WHE - Is Yarraville close to Whitten Oval?

Very close, under half hour walk and only 5 to 10 minutes in the car.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Very close, under half hour walk and only 5 to 10 minutes in the car.

I should have used the ;) ... I'm a western suburbs boy so I'm aware it's just around the corner.

Mofra
25-05-2016, 12:35 PM
James Stewart – Another talented tall who can’t crack the best 22 and is coming out of contract.

Mason Wood – Has emerged as one of the most sought-after players in the country on the back of his continued strong VFL form. Mobile and hard-running forward can play deep in attack and on a wing. Fremantle heads a pack of chasing clubs.

Yes please. Either of these two thanks Dal/McCartney

Axe Man
25-05-2016, 12:35 PM
If neither Roberts nor Hamling can establish themselves by year end (and assuming we aren't able to land a big fish like Tom McDonald), would we consider one of the mature free agent KPDs in Nathan & Mitch Brown or Daniel Merrett?

Will cost nothing in terms of a trade, salary demands shouldn't be huge and they could partner Adams for a year or two until Collins matures. At worst they would provide some solid depth.

Mofra
25-05-2016, 12:38 PM
If neither Roberts nor Hamling can establish themselves by year end (and assuming we aren't able to land a big fish like Tom McDonald), would we consider one of the mature free agent KPDs in Nathan & Mitch Brown or Daniel Merrett?

Will cost nothing in terms of a trade, salary demands shouldn't be huge and they could partner Adams for a year or two until Collins matures. At worst they would provide some solid depth.
Injuries are a worry but we do have one of the stingiest defences in the competition already. Wouldn't be opposed to Merrett for 1 year which give a few of our big guys and extra preseason, wouldn't want any of them on multi-year deals.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Injuries are a worry but we do have one of the stingiest defences in the competition already. Wouldn't be opposed to Merrett for 1 year which give a few of our big guys and extra preseason, wouldn't want any of them on multi-year deals.

Is it too early to make that call?

In looking at the data there is a fair disparity between the points against for top 8/ non top 8 teams ( a bit the sample size is still a little small)

Ave PA (top 8) - 90pts per game ( 4 games)
Ave PA (non top 8) - 54pts per game (5 games)

I guess not having our full complimentary of defenders to choose from hasn't helped in recent times, but I would be hoping that we see how we perform over the course of the season before deciding on if it's an area of concern or not.

Dancin' Douggy
25-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Jack Martin? yes please.
Gary Rohan? yes please.
Hoskin- Elliot? yes please.

Some silk and pace in the midfield is something we need I reckon.
Perhaps even more than KPP's.

We already have the stingiest backline going around.
Marcus Adams and Dad seem to be good long term prospects, with Roberts and Hamling as back up.
In fact I think Hamling might turn out to be good long term player.
Wood, with his leap almost plays as a tall.

We might be kind of ok for forwards with Boyd/Redpath as the talks and Stringer playing the 'semi' tall role, which he does to (all australian) perfection

So the 3 names I've mentioned interest me the most,

But if I see Tyrone Vickery in a bulldogs guernsey i'll...............you guessed it...............SPEW UP!!!!

Axe Man
25-05-2016, 01:19 PM
I think our stingy defence is largely due to our midfield dominance, rather than our defenders. We mostly out possess the opposition and starve them of inside 50s. I'm not sure of our opposition scores per inside 50 statistics, but my feeling is they would not be flattering (the Adelaide game being the perfect example).

Bulldog4life
25-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Seen Brown from Collingwood a couple of times this year making mistake after mistake. No thanks.

comrade
25-05-2016, 04:02 PM
James Stewart is definitely one I'd be targeting.

KT31
25-05-2016, 06:22 PM
I like the idea of having a crack at McDonald, won't be cheap but suits our needs.

LostDoggy
25-05-2016, 08:31 PM
But if I see Tyrone Vickery in a bulldogs guernsey i'll...............you guessed it...............SPEW UP!!!!

Will instantly become the next whipping boy!!!

Scorlibo
25-05-2016, 11:08 PM
I reckon Nick Haynes is an absolute gun. Can play tall and small, marks the ball and can run. He would be near the top of my wish list.

GVGjr
25-05-2016, 11:43 PM
James Stewart is definitely one I'd be targeting.

He would be high on my shopping list as well.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 12:23 AM
I'd like to do a Carlton and get a three GWS players for one draft pick deal from that list!

Stewart, WHE and maybe Marchbank just to close the TBoyd trade off.

Remi Moses
26-05-2016, 05:32 AM
I reckon Nick Haynes is an absolute gun. Can play tall and small, marks the ball and can run. He would be near the top of my wish list.

Same here. Watched him carve stkilda to pieces in a game last year, but got injured .
Weave some magic J McCartney and team

comrade
26-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Haynes would be one they wouldn't let go of. He's a younger better kicking version of Easton Wood. I'd love him and he'd fit into our backline perfectly but it would cost us a gun player like Dahl or Macrae.

Stewart is an AFL quality tall that can pinch hit in the ruck. He would be in front of Redpath. Out of contract, stuck in the twos, surely wouldn't cost us more than a second round pick?

I doubt GWS are going to play nice with us for a few reasons. A) the Boyd trade and B) you don't do business that strengthens one of your biggest threats.

Mantis
26-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Haynes would be one they wouldn't let go of. He's a younger better kicking version of Easton Wood. I'd love him and he'd fit into our backline perfectly but it would cost us a gun player like Dahl or Macrae.

As good as Macrae is he would struggle to get a game with GWS.

I doubt GWS are going to play nice with us for a few reasons. A) the Boyd trade and B) you don't do business that strengthens one of your biggest threats.

On face value I think they did very well out of the Boyd trade.

Agree on point 2, we would clearly have to present the best offer to them to have it considered... Unless the player states our club as his preferred destination.. Better get on the phone!

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I should have used the ;) ... I'm a western suburbs boy so I'm aware it's just around the corner.

I looked at your post and thought "what the?"

Agree on point 2, we would clearly have to present the best offer to them to have it considered... Unless the player states our club as his preferred destination.. Better get on the phone!

Yep. Get some numbers.

Bulldog Joe
26-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Sorry Mantis. Despite the talent on their list Macrae would easily get a game with them and every other team in the comp.

bornadog
26-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Sorry Mantis. Despite the talent on their list Macrae would easily get a game with them and every other team in the comp.

Especially when guys like Sam Reid get a game.

Mantis
26-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Fair call.. If he was there he would play, but I doubt they would chase him as they have numerous players to play his role.

Especially when guys like Sam Reid get a game.

But he hasn't.

jeemak
26-05-2016, 11:12 AM
The only reason why they wouldn't chase Jack is because the asking price would be too much for them to stomach.

He's a gun. Sure his long kicking and scoring requires improvement but the rest of his game is unbelievably good for a 22 year old.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2016, 11:13 AM

I agree. If they wanted another forward they could have drafted Peter Wright with our pick 6. Plus they got Griffen. Actually we could have got Peter Wright too if we had pick 6 but that is another story.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2016, 11:26 AM
The only reason why they wouldn't chase Jack is because the asking price would be too much for them to stomach.

He's a gun. Sure his long kicking and scoring requires improvement but the rest of his game is unbelievably good for a 22 year old.

Looks like a choir boy. Plays hard. Often surprises me.

Axe Man
26-05-2016, 11:27 AM
GWS will be after draft picks to get in their next crop of academy players from their heartland in the Riverena. They are unlikely to be interested in players. Since they are likely to finish high on the ladder and and not have their first pick until the mid teens getting more picks in to satisfy the points requirements of the bidding process will be even more important for them this year.

bornadog
26-05-2016, 12:25 PM
But he hasn't.

Ok, but he did make emergency

stefoid
26-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Palmer has played every game for GWS. Would he get a game for us?

Sedat
26-05-2016, 03:04 PM
GWS will be after draft picks to get in their next crop of academy players from their heartland in the Riverena.
They'll get them too - from what I hear Carlton are all over both Tomlinson and Marchbank. Those 2 will net GWS some more high picks/points to use this year. Cam McCarthy will go for an early 2nd rounder as well you'd imagine.

Imagine if Cam McCarthy was traded to Freo for their 1st round pick last year and also this year (which was what Freo offered to GWS). This years Freo 1st round pick might end up being pick 1!

stefoid
26-05-2016, 03:14 PM
ah Carlton, the GWS reserves.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2016, 03:40 PM
They'll get them too - from what I hear Carlton are all over both Tomlinson and Marchbank. Those 2 will net GWS some more high picks/points to use this year. Cam McCarthy will go for an early 2nd rounder as well you'd imagine.

Imagine if Cam McCarthy was traded to Freo for their 1st round pick last year and also this year (which was what Freo offered to GWS). This years Freo 1st round pick might end up being pick 1!

I don't think Freo have got a second rounder this year. Didn't they use it on Bennell. Not 100% though.

ledge
26-05-2016, 05:01 PM
ah Carlton, the GWS reserves.

And Bulldogs

Bulldog Revolution
26-05-2016, 06:18 PM
I see Tomlinson had 52 touches in the NEAFL on the weekend and is leading the NEAFL MVP vote

Remi Moses
26-05-2016, 06:51 PM
It's complete nonsense to say Macrae wouldn't get a game there.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Holds his feet in a contest and doesn't fall over too. Invaluable trait for a footballer. We've got a few now.

jeemak
26-05-2016, 10:14 PM
I was trying to think of an inside midfielder who's come into the game and immediately had an impact that's gotten the media buzzing, and the first one I thought of was Joel Selwood. So I compared their output at the same age and it makes for an interesting look.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3800&pid2=1725&fid1=O&fid2=O

Clearances and frees for probably make up the biggest differential in points related to stats. Jack played his first two years in a terrible side, while Selwood played his in an excellent side.

I'm pretty confiendent Jack as he is today would get a game in any premiership side from the last 20 years, let alone GWS's current side.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2016, 10:20 PM
I was trying to think of an inside midfielder who's come into the game and immediately had an impact that's gotten the media buzzing, and the first one I thought of was Joel Selwood. So I compared their output at the same age and it makes for an interesting look.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3800&pid2=1725&fid1=O&fid2=O

Clearances and frees for probably make up the biggest differential in points related to stats. Jack played his first two years in a terrible side, while Selwood played his in an excellent side.

I'm pretty confiendent Jack as he is today would get a game in any premiership side from the last 20 years, let alone GWS's current side.

I don't think he gets enough credit for always going when it's his time to, be it laying or taking a tackle or hit, sheperd etc. I think that's underrated. He's just in a funk of confidence kicking for goal especially. He needs to work on it, but every player has something to work on. I'm backing him to take his game up another notch and force the media to actually consider that he was the better picked and not Wines.

jeemak
26-05-2016, 10:25 PM
I don't think he gets enough credit for always going when it's his time to, be it laying or taking a tackle or hit, sheperd etc. I think that's underrated. He's just in a funk of confidence kicking for goal especially. He needs to work on it, but every player has something to work on. I'm backing him to take his game up another notch and force the media to actually consider that he was the better picked and not Wines.

I said to a few fellas at the Melbourne game that Macrae is actually tough as nails. One of the guys I was with was a country lad and he laughed at me, with my mate saying he's taking issue with that summation.

Plainly I said to my mate, "he doesn't watch the Dogs closely, why would I give a shit about what he thinks?".

Happy days.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I said to a few fellas at the Melbourne game that Macrae is actually tough as nails. One of the guys I was with was a country lad and he laughed at me, with my mate saying he's taking issue with that summation.

Plainly I said to my mate, "he doesn't watch the Dogs closely, why would I give a shit about what he thinks?".

Happy days.

Happy Days said that. Typical of you Happy Days! :D

jeemak
26-05-2016, 10:59 PM
Happy Days said that. Typical of you Happy Days! :D

I actually thought the same think when I posted it.

Happy Days would be more acerbic or graphic if he said it.

Happy Days
26-05-2016, 11:00 PM
I actually thought the same think when I posted it.

Happy Days would be more acerbic or graphic if he said it.

I'd go into more detail too.

jeemak
26-05-2016, 11:01 PM
I'd go into more detail too.

That's because you still care.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Yes. Yes he does care.

Care. He does.

Dry Rot
26-05-2016, 11:38 PM
As an aside, how come the Swans have 8 rookies?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/football/players/rookie-players

bornadog
27-05-2016, 12:03 AM

Happy days.

The only reason they said that was per Ghost Dog : "he looks like a choir boy"

jeemak
27-05-2016, 12:57 AM
As an aside, how come the Swans have 8 rookies?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/football/players/rookie-players

Because they get more AFL money than everyone else?

Sedat
27-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Like the look of McKenzie from Norf. Elite kick. Would ask the question.

S Coast Simon
28-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Would love to get WHE from GWS I remember watching him play us one day and he looked like he was gliding across the ground. Would compliment us nicely

bulldogtragic
28-05-2016, 06:36 PM
So I'm thinking two things. Raiding the expansion clubs who have so much talent to cover losing some as much conversation is on. Or the school of thought is looking at a club who needs to rebuild quickly and hasn't started the process yet, and that's Freo. I wonder if our first rounder and a player might buy Steven Hill to come to us and for him to Melbourne and live with his brother?

Twodogs
28-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Expansion clubs. Don't their salary caps start to contract soon?

bulldogtragic
28-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Time for the first unrealistic crazy scenario naming names. We know GWS are likely trading with Freo over McCarthy, and Freo & GWS have talent we could very well want. GWS have surplus guns and Freo need to rebuild. Can we get into the middle of it?

Freo: In: Roughead, McCarthy, Pick 14 - Out: Hill, Pick 19, Pick 37
GWS: In: Pick 19, Pick 32, Pick 37 (2,200 points & 1,800 points from their 3 rounders = 4,000+ points) - Out: WHE, McCarthy
Dogs: In: Hill, WHE - Out: Roughead, Pick 14 (or so) to Freo, Pick 32 to GWS

*WHE can also be substituted for Haynes or Tomlinson if the balance is out.

After:

Freo = Pick 1, Pick 14, McCarthy (mature FF), Roughead (mature FB/second ruck)
GWS = Picks 16, 19, 32, 34, 37 & 52 for 4,000+ war chest of points on academy players
Dogs = Hill, WHE (no picks in first two rounds, need to trade back in: Stevens maybe) & Crameri back. Free Agency for ruck support.

EasternWest
28-05-2016, 09:18 PM
If we got those two I would concede your doyen status.

hujsh
28-05-2016, 10:13 PM
I like your creativity but when's the last time we got involved in a trade between other clubs? There's usually speculation and interesting ideas thrown about and then someone else does it

bulldogtragic
28-05-2016, 10:22 PM
I like your creativity but when's the last time we got involved in a trade between other clubs? There's usually speculation and interesting ideas thrown about and then someone else does it

True. But... The more I look at it, the more it looks like a start of something workable. Maybe a few tinkering changes of draft orders, maybe we throw in Jong etc. I'd like to see us be adventurous, especially since we know the McCarthy trade is happening, and GWS need to keep stock piling points. We would be letting talent and high picks go, but the pay off could be huge. Say Stevens or Hrovat gets us back into the second round, if we like Romero as a father/son and elevate Lynch or Smith then we don't need the spread of picks this year anyway. I'd still like another key forward and ruck, but see what happens with free agents (Bellchambers, Hurley, Watts, Vickery, Clarke etc). Then, I'm not a fan of trading future picks but I'm not the list manager either.

comrade
28-05-2016, 11:29 PM
I'd be gutted if we gave up our first 2 picks and Roughead for an inconsistent runner and unproven kid.

You give up those assets, and deny Dalrymple a crack at the draft, you'd hope you get some genuine A-grade rolled gold talent that fills structural deficiencies on our list.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 01:34 AM
I'd be gutted if we gave up our first 2 picks and Roughead for an inconsistent runner and unproven kid.

You give up those assets, and deny Dalrymple a crack at the draft, you'd hope you get some genuine A-grade rolled gold talent that fills structural deficiencies on our list.

Appreciate your opinion, although I see them in a better light. For conversation sake, hypothetically take it up a notch to a Dangerfield type scenario and add in 2017 first rounder and Jong (pick 14, pick 18 2017, Roughead & Jong) for Nat Fyffe and WHE/Tomlinson/Haynes etc. That's pretty much the Dangerfield trade formula. That accelerates Freo's rebuild significantly. Trade into the second round with another player this year, and keep second rounder in 2017.

Twodogs
29-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Dalrymple is picking good footballers at the moment. We should be getting him more draft picks instead of giving his best picks away.

comrade
29-05-2016, 08:17 AM
For Fyfe and Haynes, you couldn't sign that deal fast enough.

Honestly, if that deal was orchestrated we'd be flag favourites for the next 3 years.

Sadly, the likelihood of Fyfe leaving is ultra slim and Haynes probably even less so. But it's nice to think about and those types of players are what you give up the big assets for.

Also, can anyone confirm if Gary Rohan is a free agent this year? If so I'd be chasing hard.

1eyedog
29-05-2016, 08:53 AM

But surely our first two picks are unproven? Roughie as steak knives in that deal really. I'd do a deal like that in a heartbeat and would walk away sniggering. Hill and WHE in our side with Crammers next year would be massive.

You just know WHE is going to make it given his early form in a crap side and Hill is a gun in a good side that is capable of getting the ball to him. He's just what we need.

There comes a point where you have to balance your list and make a decision on one or two players when you're on the cusp of playing deep finals. Dal has been great but he is one bad decision away from a mistake. Generally speaking though he's built the foundation of a premiership team and if we are at 9 or 10 on the premiership clock as the other thread suggests then a player like Hill providing outside run and WHE who also runs outside and kicks goals may be the players that tip the scales.

A one year hiatus at the draft table outside the top 15 will not be the difference between a flag [read Hrovat who is on the trade table], but getting players like that in at the right time might be.

comrade
29-05-2016, 10:19 AM
I have huge doubts on WHE and Stephen Hill's form is woeful. Right now, giving away our first 2 picks and denying the best recruiter in the game for 2 players with middling performances this year doesn't look like a productive move.

Much prefer to target out of contract players with less hype like Stewart and Rohan. They'll come much cheaper.

GVGjr
29-05-2016, 10:36 AM
While I'm not against trading our first round pick or other picks for establish players we haven't selected a player in the first round of a draft since we selected Marcus Bontempelli. That's already two years without first round selections so for me any deal that has us out of the first round for the third consecutive year would need to be a great one.
I believe one of the reason Freo has struggled is their list just doesn't have enough top end talent and it's so easy for all clubs around the finals contention to think topping up will all of a sudden deliver them a deep finals run. More often than not it doesn't.

What exactly are our pressing needs for us to consider using a first round draft selection as a trade?
A skillful midfielder, a ruckman (like we tried 3 or 4 times last year to get a deal done) or a key forward or defender? Perhaps a hybrid player who can play a few positions or maybe spend some time in the ruck?

I think once we establish what type of player we need recruit it might help us identify some players that best fits our needs. There are likely to be many good players available given the nature of the trade period but I suspect there might only be a handful of players that would really make a difference for us.

1eyedog
29-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Rohan is a great player and only 26 so he'll be more expensive than you think, plus he has high injury risk. When he plays though he's a star. Stewart I like as well. I'd be happy with both but I don't think they'll come cheaper at all. Sydney will put a massive premium on Rohan, he's not a restricted free agent until 2017 I think and my feeling is Sydney will attempt to match the offer. They'll have space McVeigh [34] and Richards [35] likely retiring at the end of next year.

I'd prefer Rohan to Hill but Freo are more likely than the Swans IMO. If we're really after Rohan we'll need to splurge and offer a long deal at the end of next year.

1eyedog
29-05-2016, 11:39 AM
While I'm not against trading our first round pick or other picks for establish players we haven't selected a player in the first round of a draft since we selected Marcus Bontempelli. That's already two years without first round selections so for me any deal that has us out of the first round for the third consecutive year would need to be a great one.
I believe one of the reason Freo has struggled is their list just doesn't have enough top end talent and it's so easy for all clubs around the finals contention to think topping up will all of a sudden deliver them a deep finals run. More often than not it doesn't.

What exactly are our pressing needs for us to consider using a first round draft selection as a trade?
A skillful midfielder, a ruckman (like we tried 3 or 4 times last year to get a deal done) or a key forward or defender? Perhaps a hybrid player who can play a few positions or maybe spend some time in the ruck?

I think once we establish what type of player we need recruit it might help us identify some players that best fits our needs. There are likely to be many good players available given the nature of the trade period but I suspect there might only be a handful of players that would really make a difference for us.

Agreed. We have a number of requirements though don't we and trying to address them all in one trade period would be impossible. To me our needs are key back, outside run, key forward in that order. Rohan and Hill are unlikely so if we were to look at shoring up our outside run requirement relatively cheaply with a WHE type I think that would be a good result because my feeling is he will be a player. Our key back / key forward issue is more problematic, but if we were able to land a big fish like Hurley, who has the ability to play back and forward as needed, we may solve our bookend issues in one trade.

I know Hurley is not a true key back but he is an animal and given we seem to have made a methodological shift from big key backs [Roughie] to a more reflexive team defence, Hurley could be the player that provides the best outcome for us at the trade table.

bornadog
29-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Stevo reporting Chris Mayne to leave Dockers next year.

ratsmac
29-05-2016, 12:50 PM

No thanks for me. He is too inconsistent. Dickson and Mayne would be fighting for the same spot.

lemmon
29-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Who would possibly want him?

Go_Dogs
29-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Melbourne or Collingwood could perhaps use a medium forward.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 03:49 PM

If he's over 30yo then I believe North has first rights on him. It's kind if like an old age academy.

GVGjr
29-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Does today's game help us identify the type of player or players we should target in the trade period?

comrade
29-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Does today's game help us identify the type of player or players we should target in the trade period?

Didn't really learn anything we didn't already know.

Still lacking some outside class and speed, that'd be my first priority. Gary Rohan, come on down.

azabob
29-05-2016, 08:37 PM
A midfielder with pace who is a quality ball user. They need to be able to break away from congestion and hit forward targets. Not sure who that is though.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Ditto. Steven Hill or some young GWS classy types.

bornadog
29-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Ditto. Steven Hill or some young GWS classy types.

Prestia or Jaeger will do.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Jaeger is going to get some silly offers, unfortunately for us. If Jarryd Roughead retires, they have a spot and $700,000+ in their list management come season end.

Prestia would be good too. We need some class and skill kicking into the forwardline so much.

Bulldog Revolution
29-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Im with you BAD!

Prestia would be a great get for us, and Jaegar would be hard to turn down, provided his body is right

We need to add another key defensive option also - if we could find two Marcus Adams types in two years our back line would be rock solid

He hasn't debuted yet but I was keen on Dillon Viojo-Rainbow at the draft and would consider having a crack at him if he's matured

Mofra
29-05-2016, 09:15 PM
A mobile HF / high forward type.
I'f be happy to have a crack at Mason Wood or James Stewart, perhaps even Aaron Black as a cheaper option.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 09:19 PM
A mobile HF / high forward type.
I'f be happy to have a crack at Mason Wood or James Stewart, perhaps even Aaron Black as a cheaper option.

Can Jack Watts play this role effectively do you think? If he was surrounded by Boyd, Stringer, Redders, Dicko, Crameri, McLean etc.

Mofra
29-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Can Jack Watts play this role effectively do you think? If he was surrounded by Boyd, Stringer, Redders, Dicko, Crameri, McLean etc.
In theory yes, I think he is a better player than most give him credit for but is he hard enough at the contest for the tighter games like today?

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 09:34 PM
In theory yes, I think he is a better player than most give him credit for but is he hard enough at the contest for the tighter games like today?

That's the gamble on him. I think yes, I rate what he still could become in the right environment and what Bevo could do with him, but there's not a broad lot of proof. I guess that's where free agency reduces a bit of risk.

GVGjr
29-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Is there anyone at the Cats we could realistically raid? If the Cats don't finish the season off well given their massive investment with trading draft picks etc last year then they might look favourably at an offer of moving a player for a 2nd round draft pick.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Is there anyone at the Cats we could realistically raid? If the Cats don't finish the season off well given their massive investment with trading draft picks etc last year then they might look favourably at an offer of moving a player for a 2nd round draft pick.

I really, really like Vardy if he could just stay fit. But that's the thing, he just can't manage to stay fit. If he passed our clubs medical, then I'd be all over that trade.

GVGjr
29-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I really, really like Vardy if he could just stay fit. But that's the thing, he just can't manage to stay fit. If he passed our clubs medical, then I'd be all over that trade.

I just had a look at their list and I'd be interested in having a crack at Jordan Murdoch. As you might be aware I rated him highly as a junior. He is very quick and a quality ball user plus he can play forward or back.

Vardy is that risky selection that makes people feel uncomfortable. Does he or could he play in a team that potentially has Campbell and Roughead plus Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson up forward? He would give us some depth but he would also be hard to place in the team except where injuries impact us.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 10:30 PM
I just had a look at their list and I'd be interested in having a crack at Jordan Murdoch. As you might be aware I rated him highly as a junior. He is very quick and a quality ball user plus he can play forward or back.

Vardy is that risky selection that makes people feel uncomfortable. Does he or could he play in a team that potentially has Campbell and Roughead plus Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson up forward? He would give us some depth but he would also be hard to place in the team except where injuries impact us.

Murdoch could be a player. Vardy if fit is best 22 on talent, easily. I'd say Campbell rucks 80% and Vardy & Boyd alternate second ruck. Vardy is a player, but breaks down seemingly too often. Camhead are doing a good job, but outside the ruck Roughead isn't doing too much damage anywhere else on the ground and I thought that's why Minson wasn't playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Big yes to Murdoch.

No to Vardy.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Interesting if the club sees things as woofers do about where our potential premiership window is. Woofers have been around 9-10 on the clock. Does that indicate that now trade becomes more important? If our window opens up next year recruiting kids who won't come into maturity in the next few years isn't necessarily the immediate impact move. Hawthorn and Sydney traded heavily leading into the last 4 Grand Finals. On the flip side Port Adelaide have over estimated their list it seems.

Do we as a club aggressively peruse trades and free agents to make an immediate impact if 2017 onwards is our expected window? Historically, we held our first rounder instead of getting Barry Hall a year earlier, which arguably could've been the difference between ultimate success and a run of prelim losses.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Interesting if the club sees things as woofers do about where our potential premiership window is. Woofers have been around 9-10 on the clock. Does that indicate that now trade becomes more important? If our window opens up next year recruiting kids who won't come into maturity in the next few years isn't necessarily the immediate impact move. Hawthorn and Sydney traded heavily leading into the last 4 Grand Finals. On the flip side Port Adelaide have over estimated their list it seems.

Do we as a club aggressively peruse trades and free agents to make an immediate impact if 2017 onwards is our expected window? Historically, we held our first rounder instead of getting Barry Hall a year earlier, which arguably could've been the difference between ultimate success and a run of prelim losses.

Hawthorn's run proves that you need to have a core group capable of getting you to the pointy end as early as possible, and be able to stick around for 5-6 years so you can keep having a crack. I think you can find yourself in trouble if you throw away a first rounder early in the piece thinking you won't need their services in four years time because your window's closed, especially when you're a young side playing well like we are.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Hawthorn's run proves that you need to have a core group capable of getting you to the pointy end as early as possible, and be able to stick around for 5-6 years so you can keep having a crack. I think you can find yourself in trouble if you throw away a first rounder early in the piece thinking you won't need their services in four years time because your window's closed, especially when you're a young side playing well like we are.

Have we got them yet?

jeemak
30-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Have we got them yet?

We'll know if three months time.

I think if we can keep everyone fit, and find a system that allows Toyd and Redpath to play deep in the forward line without jumping on each other, and Stringer higher at times so he's more involved more regularly we might just be in it.

Of course we'd need to keep everyone fit, particularly our creative half backs in addition to those mentioned above.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 05:52 PM
We'll know if three months time.

I think if we can keep everyone fit, and find a system that allows Toyd and Redpath to play deep in the forward line without jumping on each other, and Stringer higher at times so he's more involved more regularly we might just be in it.

Of course we'd need to keep everyone fit, particularly our creative half backs in addition to those mentioned above.

I prefer Stringer higher up. He creates goals and can bomb long goals too.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Have we got them yet?
They're there but whether they are ready this year or soon is another thing.

From 2010 onwards we've gathered a group together - Wallis, Libba, Dahl, JJ, Bonti, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter, Biggs is a good starting point.

North's core group is in the mid-late 20s (complimented by a lot of older types too) who were drafted together. Hawthorn's core group is now getting long in the tooth so it will be interesting to see how they maintain their edge (if they do).

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 06:05 PM
They're there but whether they are ready this year or soon is another thing.

From 2010 onwards we've gathered a group together - Wallis, Libba, Dahl, JJ, Bonti, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter, Biggs is a good starting point.

North's core group is in the mid-late 20s (complimented by a lot of older types too) who were drafted together. Hawthorn's core group is now getting long in the tooth so it will be interesting to see how they maintain their edge (if they do).

Plus Adams, Dunkley, Tom Boyd, Collins, Cordy, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Dale, Webb, McLean, Daniel, Williams and others. If this is the nucleus, then does recruiting more kids help get this premiership or do we look to trade and target free agents to fill needs around them for next year onwards?

If there's a draft to sit out strategically, not because of talent, possibly two elevated rookies and a possible father/son then we are not losing too much as we bring in 3 draftees, but provided the incoming talent from 1st & 2nd round picks is top shelf. We can always get back if we want by testing the market on Roughead, Stevens, Hrovat & Jong.

LostDoggy
30-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Big yes to Murdoch.

No to Vardy.

Billie Smedts?

GVGjr
30-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Billie Smedts?

Where would he play for us?

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Where would he play for us?

Footscray?

LostDoggy
30-05-2016, 09:10 PM
On a half forward flank or pocket maybe?

Where would you play him G if you were interested?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Billie Smedts?

Big no.

I really would love Murdoch though. He's a nice size, he's very quick and would help us with quick ball movement through the middle of the ground which we sorely lack. He's a perfect fit for us.

GVGjr
30-05-2016, 11:40 PM
On a half forward flank or pocket maybe?

Where would you play him G if you were interested?

I wouldn't consider him as someone that would make a difference for us. I was interested in why you threw his name into the mix because I don't quite see the attraction.

GVGjr
30-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Big no.

I really would love Murdoch though. He's a nice size, he's very quick and would help us with quick ball movement through the middle of the ground which we sorely lack. He's a perfect fit for us.

This is my view. If the Cats come up a bit short this year I think reality might jump in and have them willing to look at options to get them back into the draft. Murdoch might be a player they consider trading for the right offer.

As you say, good height, versatility, pace and kicking skills. I'm sure he could be a positive for us.

1eyedog
31-05-2016, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't consider him as someone that would make a difference for us. I was interested in why you threw his name into the mix because I don't quite see the attraction.

Agreed re. where he fits but I do like Smedts and eventually see him playing the Enright role, at least I think that's what Geelong make of him. He's the same size as Enright and apparently is a good decision maker. I think he'll be a player if he can overcome his injuries [broken leg in 2014] and has been out again long-term for some reason. His position is filled at our club, but if Geelong lost patience and the price was right I'd look at him. Everything about him so far though is on potential alone [i.e. high draft].

Bulldog Revolution
31-05-2016, 11:24 AM
This is my view. If the Cats come up a bit short this year I think reality might jump in and have them willing to look at options to get them back into the draft. Murdoch might be a player they consider trading for the right offer.

As you say, good height, versatility, pace and kicking skills. I'm sure he could be a positive for us.

Brilliant identification GVG

Exactly what we need in terms of kicking skills and run and carry -

I'd be fine with offering whats considered an overs contract for him to entice him to leave - if you want someone to leave their current club you generally have to pay more to get them to do that, or give them more years

He's been dropped already this year, so maybe he could be had if his place in the side is tenuous in the second half

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 06:58 PM

From the limited times I've seen him play,he sems to have sublime skills and footy smarts.
Granted not quick but neither is Matty Boyd,could even maybe see him fill Boydy's role off half back when Matty decides to pull the pin.

GVGjr
03-06-2016, 08:27 PM
I see Murdoch has been dropped by the Cats again which must be frustrating him.

jeemak
03-06-2016, 08:31 PM
GvGjr or any Cats watchers know why he's not commanding the regular spots?