PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 9 2016 vs GWS Giants

Eastdog
20-05-2016, 05:24 PM
This is the round 9 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against GWS Giants is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 06:20 PM
3 Bankers and 3 Anchors

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 06:47 PM
B:
Dahl. Just doesn't stop.
Dale Morris. He needs to play another 5 years.
Bailey Williams. A lot to like about him.

A:
The turnover of Campbell's goal. That could've swung momentum, and how it was turned over I don't know.
Forward line set up and the entries into it. Like boxing with both hands tied behind your back and blindfolded. And please Dickson, don't leave the forward 50 as some might say you're a liability up the ground.
Redpath. Was the kneeing worth it? We needed you.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2016, 07:41 PM
B:
Picken - a reliable contributor every week
Morris - as per the above
Camhead - another solid performance by our ruck duo, Mumford was still a good player for them but I continue to be satisfied with the form our big guys are showing

A:
Kicking efficiency - we kicked some great balls today, but we also made some incredibly silly/lazy errors by foot which you simply can't afford to do against good sides
Our forwards - lack of presentation and defensive effort in the F50 today - seems like Redpath is our only bloke capable of presenting at the ball carrier
Goal review system - I want to say please do away with it, but once in a blue moon you can see something conclusively. Perhaps we need to get the dictionary out, highlight the word conclusive and tape it to the desk where the adjudicators sit.

always right
22-05-2016, 07:48 PM
B:
Williams...a lot of poise and a nice sidestep
Morris...keeps on keeping on

A:
Stringer.....needs to find a way to get involved. I hardly noticed him.
Wood....zero impact and zero drive today
Coaches....letting Shaw do his own thing was a mistake. Put him under some pressure FFS.

Remi Moses
22-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Bankers - Williams , he was excellent
- Morris , he's got better
- Picken, just a warrior

Anchors- disposal and decision making especially in the forward 50 was poor
- the crowd, or lack of it . How much dough are the afl losing ?
- Boyd and Redpath . Costly, and dumb

Mofra
22-05-2016, 08:23 PM
B:
Macrae's gut running both ways. Worked hard
Morris is incrdible
Williams - we've found one

A:
Stringer - downhill skiier?
Dickson - woeful game
Collins - kid's not ready. Needs at least a pre-season

westbulldog
22-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Bankers
Williams shows a lot of promise. Like McLean he may become a class act.
Morris - 100% effort and commitment every week.
Campbell and Roughy - thought they did a good job today.

Anchors
Whoever decided Shaw should not be marked, get 36 easy kicks and generate their drive from the backline.
Adcock - was better today but is not contributing in proportion to his experience.
Jong - looked disinterested.

SonofScray
22-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Bankers:

Bontempelli was excellent in the clinches, only making errors later in the game after doing a mountain of work.
Roberts was very good defensively against good opposition and under adverse conditions for a defender.
TC kicking a great goal from outside 50, real team lifter. He kicked another team lifter too, inexplicably called back.

Anchors:

Lin Jong Report. Got him in the head. Think he pulled up rather than polaxing him but he'll go in the current environment. Would prefer he hit Buntine harder so his head collapsed into his body and popped out his own arsehole.

Biggs had an OK game but one piece of play where Ward ran over the top of him annoyed me. He was a half step too slow to win the ball because I think he opted to try wrap up the player rather than win it himself. It wasn't soft, but I want us to be tougher than that.

Adcock out on the HFF, bundled off it by that cat Shaw. Needed to do better. Otherwise a serviceable game from a guy we'd all prefer was outside of the selectors considerations but useful have for times such as this.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-05-2016, 09:18 PM
B:
Williams...a lot of poise and a nice sidestep
Morris...keeps on keeping on

A:
Stringer.....needs to find a way to get involved. I hardly noticed him.
Wood....zero impact and zero drive today
Coaches....letting Shaw do his own thing was a mistake. Put him under some pressure FFS.
Stringer has become ordinary as a key forward and needs Redpath who is excellent as a leading forward and the extra height that Jake lacks. Wood is far more effective on a back flank rather than being forced to play as a key Defender.
Morris has been terrific in the past month and the poise of Williams should see him become a regular member.
The decision to leave Shaw on his own for most of the game was a big mistake and you wonder what the MC was doing.

Eastdog
22-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Stringer has become ordinary as a key forward and needs Redpath who is excellent as a leading forward and the extra height that Jake lacks. Wood is far more effective on a back flank rather than being forced to play as a key Defender.
Morris has been terrific in the past month and the poise of Williams should see him become a regular member.
The decision to leave Shaw on his own for most of the game was a big mistake and you wonder what the MC was doing.

Thought he was ok definitely not the worst.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Bankers - Williams , he was excellent
- Morris , he's got better
- Picken, just a warrior

Anchors- disposal and decision making especially in the forward 50 was poor
- the crowd, or lack of it . How much dough are the afl losing ?
- Boyd and Redpath . Costly, and dumb

I'd say we could get 9000 in Ballarat.

Mantis
22-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Bankers -

Macrae - Worked his butt off, and used it very well.

Picken - just turns up every week

Williams - Has slotted in well .. Very good signs.

Anchors -

Passengers - Far too many, and most in the forward half. About half of our team were pretty poor which showed in the end result.

Ball use / Long balls to our disadvantage are becoming boring against decent teams.

Missed tackles - cost us badly today.

bornadog
23-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Stringer - downhill skier?

Really

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2016, 01:30 AM
B:
Macrae's gut running both ways. Worked hard
Morris is incrdible
Williams - we've found one

A:
Stringer - downhill skiier?
Dickson - woeful game
Collins - kid's not ready. Needs at least a pre-season

Agree on Stringer.

Love what he can bring to the table but for somebody so gifted he really needs to become a much more rounded player. At the moment he can beat up on the lesser sides but is virtually non existent against the top few. No doubt a key forward partner is absolutely pivotal for him, but his work rate often and quickly drops away alarmingly. He refused to chase a few times today and it looked awful when his direct opponent would get a follow up possession.

For as good as we all know he is, there's a lot that needs to be improved but you can say that for most of our list. We're very good, very talented, but there's some way to go before we get to where we need to be.

ratsmac
23-05-2016, 02:12 AM
Bankers

Williams - he's coming along quite nicely.
Long goals from Campbell - these can be quite a weapon. Especially when our forwards are playing shithouse.
Macrae - he can get potted for his dinky kicks but at least he's not just bombing away like the majority do. He was one of our best today.

Anchors

Forward 50 pressure - or lack of. We are normally great at this but today we weren't ourselves for some reason.
Goal review - seriously, to overturn a goal doesn't it have to be clear cut and not a blury maybe? Disgraceful. It's probably the easiest part of umpiring that you can't get wrong you would think.
Adcock - stop giving me reasons to call for you to be dropped. That effort (although the kick to him was crap) against Shaw was embarrassing. He needed to be better than that

S Coast Simon
23-05-2016, 02:56 AM
One huge anchor for the AFL for allowing GWS 26 first round draft picks or concession picks in one team. How are clubs meant to compete against that. They can't even fit them in one team. Plus they have already lost a couple to trades

Twodogs
23-05-2016, 06:09 AM
One huge anchor for the AFL for allowing GWS 26 first round draft picks or concession picks in one team. How are clubs meant to compete against that. They can't even fit them in one team. Plus they have already lost a couple to trades

And they virtually had to lock Mike Fitzpatrick in a room to stop him giving them more earlier last year when he was convinced that GWS eas failing and needed more first round picks.

Ozza
23-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Bankers:

Bontempelli - worked hard all day. So clean with his hands - which stood out today.
Macrae - worked incredibly hard.
Picken - win lose or draw - doesn't let us down.

Anchors:

Stevens - needed a week at VFL level it would appear. Saving grace was he got a bit better late in the game and might be ok next week.
Dickson - think the injuries at the wrong time of the year, and missing all that footy is still hurting him a bit. Think he should play more inside 50 until he is really hitting his straps again.
Jong - the only time in the game where we were building true momentum, he fumbled, eventually gathered and then with a staggering lack of urgency (given the fumble) he gets caught holding the ball and it is a 12 point turnaround - and started a run of GWS goals that broke the game open.

Sedat
23-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Agree on Stringer.

Love what he can bring to the table but for somebody so gifted he really needs to become a much more rounded player. At the moment he can beat up on the lesser sides but is virtually non existent against the top few. No doubt a key forward partner is absolutely pivotal for him, but his work rate often and quickly drops away alarmingly. He refused to chase a few times today and it looked awful when his direct opponent would get a follow up possession.

For as good as we all know he is, there's a lot that needs to be improved but you can say that for most of our list. We're very good, very talented, but there's some way to go before we get to where we need to be.
He was awful yesterday - all duck and no dinner with him at the moment. In games like yesterday, all we need from him is a contest to bring the ball to ground but if he doesn't take the mark his work defensively is sub-standard. He needs to narrow the gap between his best (sublime) and his worst (non-competitive).

B:
Macrae - super performance. Works so hard in both directions and used the ball much than most teammates, who continually bombed it long to a non-existent Snake Baker.
Morris - excellent game on Stevie J, who only got off the chain twice with remarkable goals (even by his lofty standards). Dale almost in career best clamping form.
Williams - looks very composed and a good distributor of the ball. Plenty to work with.

A:
Biggs - tackle the oncoming player instead of executing a piss-poor ineffective bump. Missed tackles in general were so costly yesterday.
Stringer - when it is not going your way, effort doesn't have to be compromised. His effort, especially when GWS had the ball, was woeful.
Outside run - completely lacking yesterday. GWS are the current benchmark in this area and were light years ahead of us yesterday. Bont and Dahl got some strong ball inside but I would have loved to see Bont especially get the ball in more dangerous areas and delivering into forward 50 by foot more.

Twodogs
23-05-2016, 01:13 PM
He was awful yesterday - all duck and no dinner with him at the moment. In games like yesterday, all we need from him is a contest to bring the ball to ground but if he doesn't take the mark his work defensively is sub-standard. He needs to narrow the gap between his best (sublime) and his worst (non-competitive).

B:
Macrae - super performance. Works so hard in both directions and used the ball much than most teammates, who continually bombed it long to a non-existent Snake Baker.
Morris - excellent game on Stevie J, who only got off the chain twice with remarkable goals (even by his lofty standards). Dale almost in career best clamping form.
Williams - looks very composed and a good distributor of the ball. Plenty to work with.

A:
Biggs - tackle the oncoming player instead of executing a piss-poor ineffective bump. Missed tackles in general were so costly yesterday.
Stringer - when it is not going your way, effort doesn't have to be compromised. His effort, especially when GWS had the ball, was woeful.
Outside run - completely lacking yesterday. GWS are the current benchmark in this area and were light years ahead of us yesterday. Bont and Dahl got some strong ball inside but I would have loved to see Bont especially get the ball in more dangerous areas and delivering into forward 50 by foot more.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I wanted to talk about it. How do we go from tackling really well like last week to not being able to tackle effectively at all the week after? We were staggering around like a bunch of drunks

1eyedog
25-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Agree on Stringer.

So you think he's a down hill skier? What about against Adelaide when it counted?

The MC don't help Stringer one bit. I'm sick of him getting thrown to the wolves. He's not a key FFS! The opposition are now hunting him. They know where it's going and they're all working off him. What does the MC expect exactly?

bornadog
25-05-2016, 07:10 PM
So you think he's a down hill skier? What about against Adelaide when it counted?

The MC don't help Stringer one bit. I'm sick of him getting thrown to the wolves. He's not a key FFS! The opposition are now hunting him. They know where it's going and they're all working off him. What does the MC expect exactly?

I am with you, people forget he is still learning himself. We know he is not THE MAN up forward.

Twodogs
27-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Even Ablett had Barry Stoneham and Billy Brownless in the forward line next to him. If Ablett could have been isolated and have three or four players fly with him for every mark we would never had heard of him.

G-Mo77
27-05-2016, 10:59 AM

I've stopped myself from being critical because usually they nail the selections. Our hands were tied a little in this game, Redpath out and Boyd not back from injury so the option would have been an extra ruck playing forward or dragging Roberts inside the forward 50. Neither option would have been ideal but it would have helped Stringer.