PDA

View Full Version : Helmets Re-Visited? Footy.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2016, 11:52 AM
I saw DRs post with a similar title and thought it was footy related, but alas it was about cricket. But it had me thinking about helmets becoming mandatory in the AFL. I know our code's footballers are tougher without them or so we perceive, but with the high concussion rates is it worth a discussion about helmets. For instance, Ted Richards was wearing a helmet for a few weeks but not last a night and copped a concussion when his head hit the ground. If he wore it again last night they'd be a much better chance he'd not have sat out the rest of the match, nor had another concussion. So in that case it was in his and the team's interest to have worn a helmet. Caleb Daniel obviously wears a helmet because of the likelihood of head high contact.

So, is it worth the AFL mandating helmets for the last half of the season and comparing concussion rates to see if the players are better off? And it being in the club's interests by being better off by not losing players for during a game or missing a week?

hujsh
21-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Don't see any harm in having helmets like Daniel. Doesn't make you feel invincible like the NFL gear but gives an extra but of padding

I also had the same reaction to seeing that thread revived BT

1eyedog
21-05-2016, 12:13 PM
One day helmets will be mandatory for all AFL players. Probably take until someone gets killed though unfortunately.

Twodogs
21-05-2016, 02:19 PM
One day helmets will be mandatory for all AFL players. Probably take until someone gets killed though unfortunately.

I can remember thinking Justin Madden had killed Scott Wynd at a centre bounce at Princes Park one year. Wynd was laying in the middle of the ground and then he started convulsing after being poleaxed in the ruck contest. He missed a few weeks afterwards.

Anyway the point is I don't want to see it but I fear you are right.

bornadog
21-05-2016, 02:32 PM
I can remember thinking Justin Madden had killed Scott Wynd at a centre bounce at Princes Park one year. Wynd was laying in the middle of the ground and then he started convulsing after being poleaxed in the ruck contest. He missed a few weeks afterwards.

Anyway the point is I don't want to see it but I fear you are right.

Is that the game Stanfield went into the ruck and did well. I thought Wynd backed into the pack and was poleaxed?

jeemak
21-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't know how effective helmets are when it comes to the really big hits. The brain still gets slammed against the inner wall of the skull helmet or no helmet when the head is collided with.

Head wounds would decrease though.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2016, 03:06 PM
I used to wear a helmet when I played in U17s. To be totally honest all it did was take the sting out of some blows. NFL players get pretty concussed and get early-onset dementia, and look at how hardcore their protection is.

boydogs
21-05-2016, 04:19 PM
If he wore it again last night they'd be a much better chance he'd not have sat out the rest of the match, nor had another concussion

That's disputed

http://sma.org.au/2013/11/helmets-do-not-prevent-concussion/
http://www.australasianscience.com.au/article/issue-october-2012/helmets-wont-cure-footballs-concussion-headache.html

KT31
22-05-2016, 01:22 AM
We had a circular from the AFL a few years back to discourage kids from wearing helmets as it gave them the confidence to stick their heads in positions the otherwise wouldn't.
Can't see it ever being made mandatory as their is far too many arguments for and against.
Using the same logic we should make every player wear a back armour to stop incidents like Neil Sachse.