PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Bulldog watcher are you?

Ghost Dog
22-05-2016, 02:52 PM
The day Zaharakis kicked his famous clutch goal on ANZAC day 2009, I watched the events unfold at Flinders street, without watching the footy at all. My train was delayed and a huge stampede of sour faced Essendon supporters were fleeing the station. "Nup, we're done" was one grim reply to my question about the score to a passing fan. The game wasn't finished but they were leaving in droves.
When I got home I watched the Zaharakis goal and laughed at the irony of it. People with so much passion,robbed themselves of their chance to witness a great moment because of that same boiling over passion.

I used to leave games early, but one Sunday, as Kennedy kicked 7 on Lukas Markovic ( can't remember the year, remind me? ) I took inspiration from one of the posters on here ( BAD I think it was ) and forced myself to sit and finish out the game. To my surprise I actually enjoyed it. I was the only Bulldog fan in the section by then, but it made me sit up and notice who dropped their head and who didn't. I wrote to the club trying to encourage Lukas and to my surprise I got a reply. I felt I really got the full experience.

On Radio I can't stand to listen out a full game when we are losing badly. I only really watch full replays if we win. Can't keep my finger off the 'skip' button.Sometimes I have the stomach to watch out a loss, and other times not. I never watch replays of losing prelims obviously. What kind of watcher are you? Do you prefer to watch by yourself? ( I do, even at games ). Sound off TV, Sound up Radio? Broken anything?
Was there one torture game you watched to the end and what was your memory of it?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-05-2016, 03:30 PM
I can't stand watching games on tv would much rather be there whatever the result. Don't put the radio on or watch if I can help it

SonofScray
22-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Being at the game live tempers my behaviour.

When I watch at home I throw stuff around, swear more, yell louder for longer and celebrate harder. Victory laps in the lounge rom, jumping of chairs etc. Apparently they can't hear me, but I give it a good shake.

Eastdog
22-05-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't stand watching games on tv would much rather be there whatever the result. Don't put the radio on or watch if I can help it

I don't mind both but I much prefer being at the match watching it. More atmosphere being there even if the crowds aren't big.

AndrewP6
22-05-2016, 04:13 PM
I love going to the game, screaming and carrying on for a couple of hours. At home I'll do it too, but it's not the same. If we lose my mood gets very grim. I have never left early, I refuse to turn my back because the team is not doing well - though the McCartney years tested that resolve on many an occasion.

comrade
22-05-2016, 04:15 PM

When I watch at home I throw stuff around, swear more, yell louder for longer and celebrate harder. Victory laps in the lounge rom, jumping of chairs etc. Apparently they can't hear me, but I give it a good shake.

I'm shocking, regardless of the location. At the game, at home, I unleash my inner savage.

Eastdog
22-05-2016, 04:18 PM
I usually get into a bit at home and at the game not crazily over the top :)

Twodogs
22-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Prefer to stand. I can be a bit of a pacer and I like to consult several people for opinions during the game.

LostDoggy
22-05-2016, 05:24 PM
At home I get pretty emotionally invested- I scream at the TV, abuse players, cheer on players, turn the tv off when we get flogged, switch it back on because I hate myself and have no self control. Close brown low and final losses I haven't made it to, I've cried.

But at the game I have to bite my tongue because other people don't seem to find my comments quite as hilarious as I do:D. And if it's the opposition home game and a horrid atmosphere (cough Norf scum) I have to leave. I cannot stand being surrounded by dumb, psychotic opposition supporters. I can't do it.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Laughed at that one Sophie.
Yes, well Norf supporters are generally ok I find but when they start saying 'Go Boom Boom' I want to puke.
I like sitting around older folk at the footy. Generally they are more respectful, unless they are of the sort that spend most of the time abusing their own players.

Daughter of the West
23-05-2016, 03:41 PM
At home, I can't sit still and watch. As I think I described the Adelaide game, I alternate between watching and hiding, declaring that I can't watch it and am going to bed, then coming back downstairs after straining to hear my husband's every reaction. I yell, cheer, swear, sulk, make rude gestures and abuse the opposition.

At the game, I just cheer when we do good things and sit pretty quietly when we stuff up. I'm always conscious of little people at the football and not ruining for them or their parents, but I am also very aware of how little I truly understand the mechanics of the game and don't want to sound like a drop kick in public (the privacy of my own home is another matter)! And I find being flogged is far easier to watch than a close game involving the Bulldogs.

bornadog
23-05-2016, 03:48 PM
I hate watching on TV and I am pretty nervous, and I write some things on the game day thread (in jest ) but some take it literally and abuse me, but hey who cares. At the game I have changed since my youth, I am restrained these days, whereas in my younger days I was very animated.

The one thing I can't stand is people I don't know, commenting on what I say - I am passionate but I don't need strangers to express their opinion on what I say.

Ozza
23-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I go to the footy with my old man. We are mostly fairly evenly tempered at the game (less so when watching interstate games on tv) pretty loudly support - but try to be fairly objective with umpiring etc.

We never leave early - we've just always had that rule. I remember in 1996 (I was 13) we were down by 90 points at half time and Dad said "I know we never leave early - but if you want to go early today, we can" - and I replied that "No, we never leave early - we'll see something good in the second half"....we ended up getting done by 131 points....but Chris Grant did kick a great goal late - so I was right! We did see something good.

Recently I get pretty frustrated with our supporters. Maybe its the years of no success - but I find our supporters (at least those in my area) incredibly negative. The area we are in for home games is pretty old on average - so the hysteria when we switch the play, go backwards, or handball more than 2 or 3 times in a row is out of control. Just folks who refuse to stumble across the modern game. "JUST KICK IT!"

Sedat
23-05-2016, 04:03 PM
We never leave early - we've just always had that rule. I remember in 1996 (I was 13) we were down by 90 points at half time and Dad said "I know we never leave early - but if you want to go early today, we can" - and I replied that "No, we never leave early - we'll see something good in the second half"....we ended up getting done by 131 points....but Chris Grant did kick a great goal late - so I was right! We did see something good.
That was Round 2 against Norf at the MCG. I remember it well.....I left early :o

Ghost Dog
23-05-2016, 04:19 PM
I hate watching on TV and I am pretty nervous, and I write some things on the game day thread (in jest ) but some take it literally and abuse me, but hey who cares. At the game I have changed since my youth, I am restrained these days, whereas in my younger days I was very animated.

The one thing I can't stand is people I don't know, commenting on what I say - I am passionate but I don't need strangers to express their opinion on what I say.

I hope you don't mean me, in the OP. I remember reading a post of yours years ago, when you said you always watched until the bitter end. I thought after reading it ' What kind of supporter am I if I leave early?' so I gave it a go. That's what I meant - good work.

LostDoggy
23-05-2016, 04:37 PM

This is pretty much me.. My Wife can't watch the game in the same room as me, I'm a horrible person to watch along side! I get so so frustrated. If we don't kick the first goal I pretty much concede defeat and say we are done and delist 12 players in the process.

Twodogs
23-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I go to the footy with my old man. We are mostly fairly evenly tempered at the game (less so when watching interstate games on tv) pretty loudly support - but try to be fairly objective with umpiring etc.

Recently I get pretty frustrated with our supporters. Maybe its the years of no success - but I find our supporters (at least those in my area) incredibly negative. The area we are in for home games is pretty old on average - so the hysteria when we switch the play, go backwards, or handball more than 2 or 3 times in a row is out of control. Just folks who refuse to stumble across the modern game. "JUST KICK IT!"

That was Round 2 against Norf at the MCG. I remember it well.....I left early :o

Me too.

Hotdog60
23-05-2016, 07:24 PM
I get in the zone when watching on TV. The house could be on fire and I wouldn't notice.
My wife doesn't watch footy all that much and it's most likely the evil stare or abrupt response I give when she asks me a question about the game when the play is on.
I do cheer and abuse at home and it becomes very hard when the wife is on night shift and trying to sleep.
When I lived in Melbourne I was very quite and just sat and watched when at the game live. Very introverted in public.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2016, 10:57 AM

One of the very few games I have left early and the earliest I have left any game.

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 11:30 AM
One of the very few games I have left early and the earliest I have left any game.

What's the earliest you have left a game is a good question. I reckon I drove to Kardinia Park for what turned out to be Terry Wheeler's last game as coach and walked out halfway through the first quarter jumped in the car and drove back to civilisation.

Happy Days
24-05-2016, 11:35 AM
What's the earliest you have left a game is a good question. I reckon I drove to Kardinia Park for what turned out to be Terry Wheeler's last game as coach and walked out halfway through the first quarter jumped in the car and drove back to civilisation.

I left a 2012 game against Brisbane in the 2nd quarter; I was going overseas the next day and had to pack, and figured watching a 10 goal loss wasn't a valuable exercise of my time. Wasn't even that angry.

The Pie Man
24-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I have gone to nearly all my games in over 20 years of games with my older brother, though he recently broke 3 toes in his foot (the moron :)) so I've missed a few recently - went to the Dees game by myself which was the first time I've done that for quite some time (2010 GF replay the last time)

Like a few here, I'm a bit more animated at home - watching Bont kick the sealer against Adelaide a few weeks back I let out a guttural roar rising from my crouched position behind the couch....went upstairs a few minutes later to chat to my wife and she thought we must've lost given the nature of my noise.

At the games, it's find standing room close to the bar, bathroom & TV - ideally not positioned in front of an exit (dead-set wind tunnel at Etihad) and enjoy some banter in the outer. I've chilled out at games over the years, having a kid and knowing it's not cool to carry on too much will do that

Bulldog4life
24-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Half time the earliest for me. It was that 1996 game against Norf.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Half time the earliest for me. It was that 1996 game against Norf.

I was living overseas in 1996, but I guess the earliest ever was 25 min mark last quarter and I can't even remember what game

The one thing I hate is hearing the winning teams club song when we have lost.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-05-2016, 07:18 PM
The number of times in the 70's that I left the MCG with the Richmond song booming out has scarred me for life

Twodogs
24-05-2016, 07:24 PM
I was living overseas in 1996, but I guess the earliest ever was 25 min mark last quarter and I can't even remember what game

The one thing I hate is hearing the winning teams club song when we have lost.

I stormed out of Etihad one day after Steve Kretiuk gave away a 50 against North to gift them the match winning goal, maybe 2002, we'd just got out the gate and I could feel my (toddler then) son tugging on my sleeve. I bent down and he asked if we could sing along with the song. He can still remember the look I was struggling hard to hold back as I explained that we wouldn't be doing that today.

EasternWest
24-05-2016, 08:08 PM
This is pretty much me.. My Wife can't watch the game in the same room as me, I'm a horrible person to watch along side! I get so so frustrated. If we don't kick the first goal I pretty much concede defeat and say we are done and delist 12 players in the process.

That's hilarious.

merantau
25-05-2016, 12:21 AM
I have NEVER left a game early - don't know why. Sub consciously maybe I view it as an act of disloyalty.
I DETEST sitting down at the football. To me football is an intensely emotional experience. Could you imagine Martin Luther King giving the Washington Monument Speech whilst seated in a plastic chair? No, I have to be free to move around, to ride the bumps, steer the ball through the big sticks, scream "Baaaaallllllll' at the top of my lungs, punch the air, hug any random Bulldog supporter in the vicinity - and just generally go berserk in the same way I would if I was in the same room as Peter Dutton, Scott Morrison, Pristopher Pyne and people of their ilk. I really pine for the old days at the Western Oval. Standing in the outer with mates, sinking a few cans and barracking for the Dogs - the bread and butter of life.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 02:39 AM
I have NEVER left a game early - don't know why. Sub consciously maybe I view it as an act of disloyalty.
I DETEST sitting down at the football. To me football is an intensely emotional experience. Could you imagine Martin Luther King giving the Washington Monument Speech whilst seated in a plastic chair? No, I have to be free to move around, to ride the bumps, steer the ball through the big sticks, scream "Baaaaallllllll' at the top of my lungs, punch the air, hug any random Bulldog supporter in the vicinity - and just generally go berserk in the same way I would if I was in the same room as Peter Dutton, Scott Morrison, Pristopher Pyne and people of their ilk. I really pine for the old days at the Western Oval. Standing in the outer with mates, sinking a few cans and barracking for the Dogs - the bread and butter of life.

Watching Footscray at Whitten oval is doable again. It was arctic at times last year.

And I could, I had a dream. Let me sit back and tell you about if

S Coast Simon
25-05-2016, 02:48 AM
I don't get to many games as I live in QLD. At home I like to watch it by myself as my Canadian wife thinks I'm a bit crazy. At the game I'm a bit of a fanatic screaming ball at every chance and generally carrying on as I get so involved in the atmosphere which is fantastic. I can't leave before the end as I find it disrespectful to the boys that are playing their hearts out for us. I once left the MCG at a one day cricket match. And listened in the car as Bevo smashed Australia to victory and have never forgiven the bloke that convinced me to leave. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that carries on like a pork chop watching the mighty red white and blue

Mantis
25-05-2016, 10:01 AM

So why post anything at all if it's in jest and adds no value? It's just wasting your time writing it and our time reading it.

At the game or on here?

I think as soon as the words flow from your mouth at a game those comments & opinions are up for discussion... Banter makes our game great.

Mantis
25-05-2016, 10:04 AM

Was that an Easter game?

Pretty sure it was.. we drove about 2 hours from our holidays to attend, fair to say the car ride back was painful... Pretty sure the sister was on her P's and she drove whilst me and the old boy drowned our sorrows.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 10:07 AM
So why post anything at all if it's in jest and adds no value? It's just wasting your time writing it and our time reading it.

A bit of fun, better use these:D more often.

At the game or on here?

Game

I think as soon as the words flow from your mouth at a game those comments & opinions are up for discussion... Banter makes our game great.

True, but can get ugly. I don't mind banter, but depends what people say.

always right
25-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I've only left a game early once. We were three goals down late in the last quarter against Richmond (at the time my most despised club...actually they still are). I was livid and marched my family out of the ground as I heard the crowd roar a couple of times....obviously Richmond were going on with it.

Got outside in time to look up at the screen and see Lake take a pack mark, feign injury and big Will slot it through for a goal to draw the game. It felt like a win and I got great satisfaction seeing the Tiger supporters pouring out of the stadium in an absolute rage. I've never left early since.

Like some others on this board, I am a different supporter at home than I am at the game. I'm very vocal at the game but controlled. At home however I get frustrated easily and acknowledge that I become somewhat irrational....actually a bit embarrassing. I'm not nice to be around when watching us lose on the TV. Players I love become targets of my abuse....no one is spared. I'm not proud of my behaviour.

This is starting to feel like an AA meeting.

LostDoggy
25-05-2016, 03:07 PM
I always try to stay to the end of the game as well, no matter what the score. Not really sure why, but it’s probably a combination of solidarity with the players and a feeling that the wins will be that little bit sweeter after doing the hard yards through terrible losses. (Not sure the last bit’s right though, I reckon I feel the anguish of a loss more intensely than the euphoria of a win).

There have been some games where I haven’t been able to stomach the losses at the ground though – prelim final in 98 (left early in the third I think), a game against the hawks at the G in the rhode years where we were pitiful, and, most recently, the 123 point hammering we received at the hands of the eagles at subi a couple of years ago.

The eagles game was the second one I’d taken my first born to and the first one he was really old enough to know what was going on. He was sitting with his inflatable paw and kept asking if it was the right time to wave it after the crowd roared, which it obviously wasn’t. Things were getting really dire late in the third and my son was taking it pretty badly so I told the nice old bulldogs lady next to me who we’d been talking to that we were going to sneak out at three quarter time in the interests of my sons continuing allegiance to the red, white and blue. She gave me nothing – looked at me with beady eyes and told me she ‘never left a game early’. I felt the ultimate coward sulking out of the ground past the smug eagles abominations. Didn’t regret it though – eagles kicked 10 in the last.

Don’t feel the same need to sit through the pain though when watching at home. Three goals down and I generally give up the ghost and turn it off…and then sneak back every 5 minutes in the hope we’ve turned things around.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2016, 07:55 PM

HAHA! Good call. When was the Richmond game?

always right
25-05-2016, 08:42 PM
HAHA! Good call. When was the Richmond game?

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I've only left a game early once. We were three goals down late in the last quarter against Richmond (at the time my most despised club...actually they still are). I was livid and marched my family out of the ground as I heard the crowd roar a couple of times....obviously Richmond were going on with it.

Got outside in time to look up at the screen and see Lake take a pack mark, feign injury and big Will slot it through for a goal to draw the game. It felt like a win and I got great satisfaction seeing the Tiger supporters pouring out of the stadium in an absolute rage. I've never left early since.

Like some others on this board, I am a different supporter at home than I am at the game. I'm very vocal at the game but controlled. At home however I get frustrated easily and acknowledge that I become somewhat irrational....actually a bit embarrassing. I'm not nice to be around when watching us lose on the TV. Players I love become targets of my abuse....no one is spared. I'm not proud of my behaviour.

"My name's Twodogs and I'm a bulldog supporter" "Welcome Twodogs"

"It's been 20455 days since my last premiership"

LostDoggy
25-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Can't watch it live on T.V. get to uptight and agitated.Only flick on the radio when I think it's near the end of each qtr.
Funnily enough am a lot calmer when at the ground.Can't explain why,maybe it has something to do with the LED signage :p
Have never left a game early,although came very close to it in the '98 Prelim.
Dad asked me at 3qtr time if I wanted to go home.Was very tempted but felt like if the players were going through the pain of getting hammered then i'd get hammered with them.:p

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Can't watch it live on T.V. get to uptight and agitated.Only flick on the radio when I think it's near the end of each qtr.
Funnily enough am a lot calmer when at the ground.Can't explain why,maybe it has something to do with the LED signage :p
Have never left a game early,although came very close to it in the '98 Prelim.
Dad asked me at 3qtr time if I wanted to go home.Was very tempted but felt like if the players were going through the pain of getting hammered then i'd get hammered with them.:p

One game I happily sat through. I was semi delirious from lack of sleep with a 3 month old. I have never been as exhausted as I was that day. Dad said I was giggling at something for about 15 minutes but apart from that I didn't make a lot of sense.

merantau
25-05-2016, 09:03 PM

"This is starting to feel like an AA meeting." Gave me an instant belly laugh. Thanks for that.

merantau
25-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I find it REALLY difficult listening on the radio if it is a close game. And is just soul-destroying when the stupid #$@€ing commentator calls a goal for us and then says something lame like: "That looked like a goal from where I'm positioned. My eyes must be playing tricks on me."
And I think, "Mate, you are nowhere near it. Why can't you just shut up and let the goal umpire decide on the goals."

Eastdog
25-05-2016, 10:00 PM
What kind of watcher are you? Do you prefer to watch by yourself?

At games and home I liked to watch it by myself but I have good conversations at times where I sit at home games with the people around me more during the breaks. I definitely say things out during the game when I go.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2016, 02:40 AM
"This is starting to feel like an AA meeting." Gave me an instant belly laugh. Thanks for that.

What is the affirmation they say at the start of AA groups? Maybe we need something similar.

Hi, my name is Ghost Dog, and I am a continuing Bulldog addict.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 03:07 AM
What is the affirmation they say at the start of AA groups? Maybe we need something similar.

Hi, my name is Ghost Dog, and I am a continuing Bulldog addict.

Ummm.

"My name's Twodogs and I'm a bulldog supporter" "Welcome Twodogs"

;)

Ghost Dog
26-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Ummm.

;)

LOL sorry TD, I thought I was being highly original. Beat me too it. :D

Murphy'sLore
26-05-2016, 01:38 PM
I seem to be unusual, I'm more vocal at the game than at home. I do way more chanting and commentating than is appropriate for a grown woman.

One of my proudest days was when I'd spent the afternoon barracking hard and an old-timer supporter in front of us turned around and said to my husband, 'She really is a true Bulldog.' Hey, for all I know it was one of you guys! :)

At home I am nervous and restless. My kitchen gets super-clean if I'm listening to a tight game on the radio.

bornadog
26-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I seem to be unusual, I'm more vocal at the game than at home. I do way more chanting and commentating than is appropriate for a grown woman.

One of my proudest days was when I'd spent the afternoon barracking hard and an old-timer supporter in front of us turned around and said to my husband, 'She really is a true Bulldog.' Hey, for all I know it was one of you guys! :)

At home I am nervous and restless. My kitchen gets super-clean if I'm listening to a tight game on the radio.

My wife never goes to matches but always listens to games on Radio while she is doing house work. She enjoys listening to the guys on 774, but will never watch a TV game. I hate the radio, especially the way the commentators call the match. I never know exactly where the ball is and I get frustrated.

always right
26-05-2016, 02:00 PM
My wife never goes to matches but always listens to games on Radio while she is doing house work. She enjoys listening to the guys on 774, but will never watch a TV game. I hate the radio, especially the way the commentators call the match. I never know exactly where the ball is and I get frustrated.
I could never understand the attraction of Rex Hunt. Had no idea what was happening in the game.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Oh my god. I can't listen on the radio and not cook. I have to bake biscuits or brownies or a cake or something to celebrate with.

I could never understand the attraction of Rex Hunt. Had no idea what was happening in the game.

I know, obnoxious with a capital O. Bagging competitors, getting involved in spats with people in the crowd trying to watch football or getting involved in street fights in Far North Queensland (apparantly him and his family were 'jumped' whilst innocently walking down the street in Cairns. I'm sure Rexy wasn't being his obnoxious self like he is 99% of the rest of the time and didn't start anything) Rex is all class.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-05-2016, 03:58 PM
The part in The Ride when Peter Gordon is pacing the car park at Ethiad is familiar although my sister and I hide in the toilets when things get tense during a game

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 06:23 PM
The part in The Ride when Peter Gordon is pacing the car park at Ethiad is familiar although my sister and I hide in the toilets when things get tense during a game

Which toilets? :eek:

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Womens usually

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Womens usually

Ahhh,
Sisters,
Got it :)

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Car park sounds good actually. Time would probably go quicker.

SonofScray
26-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Watching from home on Subday I tried to be a bit more mindful of how I felt, in comparison to watching live. I felt the nerves and anxiety and desperation more than I do at a game. I think it is because there is no social element, nothing to off set the competitive beast or add some humour to the equation. Watching live is a more joyful, connected experience for me.

Daughter of the West
27-05-2016, 03:30 PM

I hate the situation when you go to the toilet during the quarter and we kick a goal. At that point, I feel like it's some kind of omen and then seriously consider going back to see if we will kick another. Because, as any rational person will tell you, the fact that I left my seat way up on level three undeniably influenced what happened on the ground.

Chicago1
29-05-2016, 05:11 AM
I'll be watching tonight's match since it starts at 12:20am Sunday here. The evening matches there are far more difficult to watch because of the time difference. Most start at about 4:20am. I sometimes wake up at 6am or so (hey, I'm old and male ;) ) and check the scores. Once or twice I've stayed up all night, but you wouldn't want to see me later that day.

Twodogs
29-05-2016, 06:38 AM
I'll be watching tonight's match since it starts at 12:20am Sunday here. The evening matches there are far more difficult to watch because of the time difference. Most start at about 4:20am. I sometimes wake up at 6am or so (hey, I'm old and male ;) ) and check the scores. Once or twice I've stayed up all night, but you wouldn't want to see me later that day.

It's roughly the same for soccer fans here. European cup this morning.