PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 10 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
27-05-2016, 11:08 AM
This is the round 10 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Collimgwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
29-05-2016, 06:08 PM
3 Bankers, 3 Anchors

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 06:44 PM
B:

Dahl & Macrae. 110% all day.
Morris & Easton. Amazing defence.
Straight goal kicking is good footy.

A:

Awful forward movement for three quarters.
Poor skills for three quarters.
Stringer looked unlikely almost all day.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Bankers -

Luke D seems a permanent fixture in the banker's ledger.
Easton Wood showing why we made him captain.
Jack - Hard at it all day.

Anchors
Indig round jumpers. They all look ugly. Crows probably the best of the lot.
Intensity in the first two quarters
Bombing it in - especially when the game is tight. Use it better.

comrade
29-05-2016, 07:42 PM
A:

Dahl's guts. Just gets it done.
Defensive structure was good again.
Tommy Campbell is turning into a quality AFL ruckman.

B:

Bont's kicking. Did he get a jab before the game?
Forward line set up. It's not working. I think someone like Honeychurch needs to have a crack, maybe at McLean's expense.
Channel 7's Sunday squad. Matthews, Maxwell, Riewoldt and Hamish. Kill me.

F'scary
29-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Bankers:

Suckling - for doing what he is paid to do and kicking that long goal off the intercept mark.

Wood - for standing up and kicking that clutch goal after battling really well and taking so many intercept marks.

Adams - for manning up and spoiling all game. Well done. Missed you the past couple of weeks.

Anchors:

Stringer - according to AF and SC, statistically the worst player on the ground with the exception of Toovey who went off injured early. Non-statistically, the worst player on the ground. Get back to basics, Jessie, and start running towards the ball.

McLean - too much finessing, not enough involvement.

Adcock - I've run out of anchors.

bornadog
29-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Bankers

1. Dahl - Love this bloke - his body must be aching after every match.

2. Suckling - That bloody left foot.

3. The Bont - Still young, heavily tagged but came out fighting after half time.

Anchors

1. Every player that kicked the ball to the opposition

2. Bizarre umpiring decisions eg, Morris tries to kick the ball towards two of our players, miskick, and goes out of bounce, umpire calls deliberate - yeah he meant to kick it out of bounds. No logic.
When is a push in the back tackle (Wood pushed in back)
Moore touches ball and given a mark.

3. Over use of handball.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 08:49 PM
4. Playing on under extreme pressure after a free kick and having the situation go from our possession to turnover. I counted 5 times today that the players simply should've stopped with their opponent less than 30cm away. As Donald Trump would "It's a huuuuge anchor" (and my hands are huuuuge too).

LostDoggy
29-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Bankers

1. Dahl - Love this bloke - his body must be aching after every match.

2. Suckling - That bloody left foot.

3. The Bont - Still young, heavily tagged but came out fighting after half time.

Anchors

1. Every player that kicked the ball to the opposition

2. Bizarre umpiring decisions eg, Morris tries to kick the ball towards two of our players, miskick, and goes out of bounce, umpire calls deliberate - yeah he meant to kick it out of bounds. No logic.
When is a push in the back tackle (Wood pushed in back)
Moore touches ball and given a mark.

3. Over use of handball.

Yeah that was a shocking call, Morris was great all game but with two players in a paddock it would be difficult to intentionally kick it any worse.

Love having a guy like Suckers in the team, felt assured when he was lining up from sixty. Can you hang out with Moyd?

Lukey D, we have done well with the rookie draft. Gutsy gun.

azabob
29-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Bankers.

1. Campbell is really working into a nice groove. I think he will really flurish when he starts rucking 90% of game time.

2. Caleb Daniel: Last few weeks he seemed to be playing a defensive role even today. However in the last quarter today he seemed to be heavily involved in the majority of our forays forward. No more defensive roles for Caleb he is far too creative and damaging.

3. Matthew Suckling - Enough said.

Anchors

1. Our desire for the contest in the first three quarters was non existent.

2. Is Jake Stringer carrying an injury? Not sure what to make of his year so far.

3. Our skills and decision making was very poor today.

Eastdog
29-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Bankers

1. The last quarter coming from behind and taking advantage when they were down

2. Dahlhaus such a hard worker

3. Morris, Wood, Macrae very influential and Wally as well.

Anchors

1. Stringer - not a great day out but he has a lot of potential and needs to keep working

2. Our turnovers - still doing this quite a lot which is dissapointing

Eastdog
29-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Thought though Jack took some good marks in the forward line and presented as a decent target.

SonofScray
29-05-2016, 09:42 PM
B1 Dahlhaus was immense. He is the embodiment of what Footscray people love of our modern day footballers.

B2 Libba was immense. He is the embodiment of what Footscray people love of our modern day and olden day footballers.

B3 JR / TC between the two of them played a good quality game over 4 quarters. Early marks and late bullocking work.

A1 Stringer, dirty day. Having a lot of "nearly" moments. Poor tackling efforts a few times. Think he is carrying something.
A2 Bontempelli. Used his non preferred a lot, struggled with his preferred foot. Think he has a niggle.
A3 Old Bag behind me, bagging us all day despite being head to toe in RW&B

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2016, 09:44 PM
B:

- Dahlhaus' work rate is incredible.
- Wood was rock solid, a few poor errors, but his intercept marking/spoiling was terrific.
- Dunkley was very impressive. Smart footballer who is ultra competitive.

A:

- Stringer. Not sure why we don't push him behind the ball or into the midfield when it's clear he becomes a liability up forward. He is having a pretty ordinary year aside from 2 or 3 games and I think we need to start to look at how we can alter his role. Prior to the Melbourne game I had him as being close to being dropped based purely on form. His last two weeks have been atrocious, particularly in work rate. He won't be dropped, but his effort is as bad as it gets.

- Handball happy. It gets us into trouble so often and it has to have an effect on how our forwards lead. We seem to always want a perfect pass when it's rarely there.

- Forward line pressure is non-existent right now and this needs to be addressed. Honeychurch should be playing next week and I'd have somebody like Picken down there too (although, it depends if Stevens is back). Sides are waltzing the ball out of our F50 with utter ease.

Ozza
30-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Bankers:

Wood & Morris - defended grandly all day. Kept us in the game and read the play so well.
Macrae & Dahlhaus - just tried so hard.
That this one wasn't a home game...I think the bay I sit in at Etihad would have been unbearable to sit in with the way turnovers and over-handling of the ball are received!! Would have been past boiling point!

Anchors:

- Stringer - had a poor day, and I can handle him having an off day - but what I can't handle was his poor body language and lack of defensive pressure when things weren't going well for him. (I must admit that I enjoyed seeing Bonti give him a bake....it was well deserved).
- Taking too long to move Dickson deep forward.
- Generally our poor disposal/decision making once our normal outlets were closed down.

On another note, I can't really agree with the commentary around our forward set up not working.
At the game you could see that Collingwood came with a plan to set up behind the ball (and their ruckman Grundy was key to that, getting himself in a position to cut off the long kick) and they also were clearly setting up to cut off our use of the corridor. Treloar was parking himself in the middle for most of the day, and before getting injured Taylor Adams was starting at the true centre half back position. They turned the game into what it was, and until they got injuries, they went a long way to carrying out their plan.

I think it was more so the defensive ground positioning of Collingwood, than our forward set up, that made it a low scoring and high-turnover day. It was good that we just stuck at it and eventually got the result. Players that were down, for the most part, got themselves up for a better second half (Bontempelli, Biggs & Caleb Daniel a few notables that had poor 1st halves, but worked their way into it - Bontempelli's attitude is 1st class).

Scorlibo
30-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Bankers

Campbell - had a big influence today, took some great grabs and seemed to thrive on the contest.
Wood - lead from the front, that goal was a true captain's goal, his aerial work is returning to the elite standard.
Bont - showed signs in the second half that in time he will be un-taggable, threw himself at everything and when he does that he's simply too big to stop.

Anchors

Bont - showed the competition that he doesn't have a right foot. Needs to work on this.
Stringer - it's all in your head, Jake. We need to get him hungry again. More than anything else, it's his appetite for goals that makes him a gun player.
Dahl & Libba - too cute in the last quarter with their handballing on defensive fifty, we were very lucky not to concede a crucial goal.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 11:00 AM
B:
Josh Dunkley - we got one. Worked hard, generally used the ball well, and tackled. Can mark the ball too which is a plus.

Dahl - under every pack. Gutsy

Macrae - Gut-running so often underrated. In one play he pressured the kicker into handballing instead, the Pies play was held up slightly then Macrae was on the next possession chain applying defensive pressure.

A:
Our forward structure was terrible. No HF line. Memo to out forwards coach: if there is pressure on the ball kicker and kicks are constantly falling short, allowing the opposition defenders to play 10m in front of each forward will (and did) kill us.

Stringer - it's been said. Is he still carrying the corkie? Tempted to rest him this week.

Redpath - You're constantly great for 2 quarters per game. 4 quarter efforts are required if you want to keep your spot long term.

comrade
30-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Redpath - You're constantly great for 2 quarters per game. 4 quarter efforts are required if you want to keep your spot long term.

I'd love to see how Redders is tracking against other notable key forwards at the same stage of their careers, games wise.

I'm a Redpath doubter but that mark and kick to Dunkley broke the game open, and to finish with 9 marks on day when the forward entries were diabolical is a good result.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 11:47 AM
I'd love to see how Redders is tracking against other notable key forwards at the same stage of their careers, games wise.
Games wise or age wise?

He's earning his spot in the team but Boyd is set for a decent trajectory. Perhaps they can both play in the same side but Redpath has the chance to go from serviceable to a genuine worry for the opposition.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Games wise or age wise?

He's earning his spot in the team but Boyd is set for a decent trajectory. Perhaps they can both play in the same side but Redpath has the chance to go from serviceable to a genuine worry for the opposition.

Wasn't that last mark great in the goal square when he hustled the Pies defenders with his body and took the mark.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Great positioning by Bonts there too

comrade
30-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Games wise or age wise?

Games wise, given he came into the league later due to his injuries.

It's easy to forget he's played less than 20 games at the highest level because he's older and a big lunk of a thing.

Does he have much more improvement in him?

Mofra
30-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Games wise, given he came into the league later due to his injuries.

It's easy to forget he's played less than 20 games at the highest level because he's older and a big lunk of a thing.

I'd like to think so, just learning to stay involved in the game. Even when playing well he can go missing for chunks of the game.
If he could find a way to stay involved he'd be a much more complete player.

Great positioning by Bonts there too
Noted that at the time - did enough to separate the two tall defenders

bornadog
30-05-2016, 12:28 PM

He does have improvement in him and that will come from experience. There were a couple of times when he didn't do the team thing:

eg. On wing members side, taps ball forward straight to Collingwood, turnover, and they take the ball all the way down for a goal. Similarly, kicks the ball forward to absolutely no one but Collingwood players as there is no one in the forward 50. Better to hang on to the ball.

All players make mistakes, but these two stood out for me. He will learn as he plays more games.

Overall I thought he was pretty good yesterday, although as others have said, does disappear vout of the game a bit, so he needs some consistency.

Ozza
30-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Bankers

Anchors

Bont - showed the competition that he doesn't have a right foot. Needs to work on this.
Stringer - it's all in your head, Jake. We need to get him hungry again. More than anything else, it's his appetite for goals that makes him a gun player.
Dahl & Libba - too cute in the last quarter with their handballing on defensive fifty, we were very lucky not to concede a crucial goal.

His right foot passes were terrible yesterday - but that is not the norm.

He has set up several goals this year with precise right foot kicks to leading players. I think we can write yesterday off as him having 2 shockers on the right, but I don't believe he has a major issue with it.

soupman
30-05-2016, 02:02 PM
He does have improvement in him and that will come from experience. There were a couple of times when he didn't do the team thing:

eg. On wing members side, taps ball forward straight to Collingwood, turnover, and they take the ball all the way down for a goal. Similarly, kicks the ball forward to absolutely no one but Collingwood players as there is no one in the forward 50. Better to hang on to the ball.

All players make mistakes, but these two stood out for me. He will learn as he plays more games.

Overall I thought he was pretty good yesterday, although as others have said, does disappear vout of the game a bit, so he needs some consistency.

Both those examples I thought he did the right thing.

In the first play yes it was costly but we were just starting to break the game open, he has running forward and was right to expect he'd have teammates running forward with him who could benefit from the tap. If he had've grabbed the ball he was guaranteed to be tackled before he hit the ground and the momentum of the play would have been lost as Collingwood flooded back. That one was his teammates fault for not supporting him, and while he should have had awareness that he was surrounded by the enemy when he launched himself for it his teammates were right behind him.

In the second example he tried to move the ball long and quickly but the only option was Stringer who was about 80m away and closer to the centre of the ground than the boundary. Stringer should have realised there was no other option and run across to at least give Redpath a contest to kick it too. Instead Redpath ran out of time and space and was forced to get rid of it or get tackled.

Both were a result of teammates not being in a position to help him out.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 02:34 PM

In the first play yes it was costly but we were just starting to break the game open, he has running forward and was right to expect he'd have teammates running forward with him who could benefit from the tap. If he had've grabbed the ball he was guaranteed to be tackled before he hit the ground and the momentum of the play would have been lost as Collingwood flooded back. That one was his teammates fault for not supporting him, and while he should have had awareness that he was surrounded by the enemy when he launched himself for it his teammates were right behind him.

In the second example he tried to move the ball long and quickly but the only option was Stringer who was about 80m away and closer to the centre of the ground than the boundary. Stringer should have realised there was no other option and run across to at least give Redpath a contest to kick it too. Instead Redpath ran out of time and space and was forced to get rid of it or get tackled.

Boy that is a real bias post. So its not Redpath's fault its his team mates.

Ozza
30-05-2016, 02:40 PM

I would tend to agree with this. Both occurred right in front of me, and both times Redpath was in a pretty difficult position and trying to deal with our lack of numbers/options. The tap on play was a bit of a mess before it got to Redpath and he and Wallis were trying to create something out of an ordinary build up.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 02:41 PM
I would tend to agree with this. Both occurred right in front of me, and both times Redpath was in a pretty difficult position and trying to deal with our lack of numbers/options. The tap on play was a bit of a mess before it got to Redpath and he and Wallis were trying to create something out of an ordinary build up.

Tapped the ball straight to Collingwood players and resulted in a goal - not good football.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 02:52 PM
That was one instance I though Redpath should have grabbed the ball instead of tapped, taken the tackle and allow a stoppage rather than go for a very low percentage play which was to give a crumbing opportunity to Wallis who would then have to beat two opponents even if he managed to get it.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 02:54 PM
That was one instance I though Redpath should have grabbed the ball instead of tapped, taken the tackle and allow a stoppage rather than go for a very low percentage play which was to give a crumbing opportunity to Wallis who would then have to beat two opponents even if he managed to get it.

Exactly and resulted in Treloar putting them back in front in the last.

soupman
30-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Boy that is a real bias post. So its not Redpath's fault its his team mates.

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying in context the first one he was trying to keep the ball moving. It was a high risk/reward type thing but considering we had momentum and he should have had numbers around him it wasn't the worst idea. He stuffed it up but he also should have had more support.

The second wasn't his fault, he had no options other than try to break the tackle which was low probability, get the ball out of bounds which was a free or boot it long and hope. He had no one in support to handball with and no one presenting as an option. It wasn't as if he burned players to boot it long.

kruder
30-05-2016, 03:26 PM
B:
Josh Dunkley - we got one. Worked hard, generally used the ball well, and tackled. Can mark the ball too which is a plus.

Dahl - under every pack. Gutsy

Macrae - Gut-running so often underrated. In one play he pressured the kicker into handballing instead, the Pies play was held up slightly then Macrae was on the next possession chain applying defensive pressure.

A:
Our forward structure was terrible. No HF line. Memo to out forwards coach: if there is pressure on the ball kicker and kicks are constantly falling short, allowing the opposition defenders to play 10m in front of each forward will (and did) kill us.

Stringer - it's been said. Is he still carrying the corkie? Tempted to rest him this week.

I'll still take Redpath's 2 quarter game over any of our forwards at this stage, he is the only forward that presents at the football. He has plenty of growth still and would love to see Tom along side him which would give us the ability to separate defenders and give Boyd more one v one opportunities.

ratsmac
31-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Bankers

1. Dunkley - he looks like he belongs.
2. Libba - when I was at the game I didn't notice him that much. Watched the replay and noticed he done a ton of work.
3. Campbell - he is getting better each time he plays. He is growing in confidence and he's clunking contested marks more often.
4. Beating Collingwood when they were playing better than us for 2½ quarters and then over running them because they had a lot of injuries. It's been fun listening to all the excuses.

Anchors

1. Foot skills for 3 quarters were sub standard. We weren't coping with Collingwood's pressure. Lucky our defence is the best in the league. Once they ran out of legs, lo and behold our skills improved.
2. Stringer - consistency just isn't there at the moment. The old cliche, it's the difference between his good and bad games is too great.
3. Adcock - just out of habit

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 12:31 AM
Bankers

1. Dunkley - he looks like he belongs.
2. Libba - when I was at the game I didn't notice him that much. Watched the replay and noticed he done a ton of work.
3. Campbell - he is getting better each time he plays. He is growing in confidence and he's clunking contested marks more often.
4. Beating Collingwood when they were playing better than us for 2½ quarters and then over running them because they had a lot of injuries. It's been fun listening to all the excuses.

Anchors

1. Foot skills for 3 quarters were sub standard. We weren't coping with Collingwood's pressure. Lucky our defence is the best in the league. Once they ran out of legs, lo and behold our skills improved.
2. Stringer - consistency just isn't there at the moment. The old cliche, it's the difference between his good and bad games is too great.
3. Adcock - just out of habit

At least you are honest about your bias Ratsmac! haha.