PDA

View Full Version : Your whipped and the over-whipped

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 12:50 AM
All teams have their whipping boys. The days of going to games and hearing Gia being called soft and weak by our own supporters I remember clearly.
Each touch by Markovic being met with collective groans. Josh Hill was whipped on a regular basis.
The dynamic of the whipping boy is unique. You can be pretty whippable but likable ( late career Mitch Hahn ) by surviving on credit. You can be a whipping boy the moment you walk into the club ( Sherman ). You can be so ordinary that people don't even bother whipping you much ( Marko, Djekurra, Skinner, Hooper ), just a collective acceptance of inevitability surrounds certain players. It's as though they somehow got on the list through a loophole.

Who are the players you whipped on a regular basis in the past and were you fair? ( justify yourself )
Make the case for one player who you feel was unfairly whipped.

My Whipped
- Josh Hill - Just soft defensively but I think he suffered at times from our delivery so not sure I was fair. More his body language that used to annoy me.
- Shuan Higgins - Hate the way he rolls around on the ground after being tackled. His ability to nail snap shots and miss them from dead in front.
- Liam Jones - Probably didn't whip him enough. Always hoped he would come good, but those hail mary, soft-handed leaps drove me bananas at a time when we were desperate for a forward target.
- Matty Boyd - Good god those bombs out of the midfield in the early 2000+teens made me fume.
- Sherman - His pricetag, cruxifix tattoo and inability to do much of anything.
- Nathan Djekurra - One word - 'circlework'

Over-whipped ( In Defence )
- Gia - I think guys liked to pot him because of his good looks. His late career form showed his class. I don't think he was soft at all. People just looking for a scapegoat.
- Mitch Hahn - The debate on here to drop him or not went on and on late in his career. But I always thought he brought some physical presence. Was never the same after Barry Hall pole-axed him.
- Cheesy Barlow - I dunno, I always enjoyed watching him play, even though he was pretty hopeless. I never could bring myself to bash him. No idea why!
- Dylan Addison - Going to a game and watching him made me hesitate to whip him because of his offensive tackling you could only pick up watching him live. You heard the 'thwack' of his tackles on the boundary. At least stood up in finals. Mesmerizing to watch him plod around with that hair. Just a character.

Mofra
01-06-2016, 09:48 AM
I tend not to whip players but sometimes it just gets too much

Whipped:
- Brennan Stack. Just never warmed to him as a footballer, was an absolute "all tip, no iceberg" player for me
- Patrick Bowden. More frustrating than anything else, he had all the tools but seem to lack something. Ticker, I don't know
- Christian Howard. He couldn't help where he was drafted but he was dumb

Over-whipped (defended):
- Gia easily. Our best ball user in traffic who sacrificed his game by becoming a full time forward. Will go down as the best sub in AFL history :D
- Cam White. I defended him a lot. In retrospect I should have chosen players to defend a little wiser
- Will Minson. He copped heaps as a developing ruckman, big men take time
- Brian Lake. May be controversial, but I always thought too much was made of his 'brain fades' when you look at everything else he brought to the table

Happy Days
01-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Whipped

Dylan Addison - Like, I know his effort couldn't be questioned, but come on.

Nathan Buckley-era Matthew Boyd - I really appreciate how String (most of the time) tries to do the coolest possible thing when he has the footy, because like 7/10 times it works. Boyd hit maybe (maybe?) 0.2/10m and even then it was a 30m pass to a guy on the wing at absolute best. HATED this version Boyd.

Assorted scrubs that I had to pretend to like - Djerrkura, Darley, Young, Pearce, BARLOW, Reid, Hooper ("Nah man he's good as, he won the Larke Medal" - me in 2011 with a vocal quiver that couldn't have fooled a 3 year old), Skinner, Howard, Tutt, Vezspremi, Austin, Markovic, Lower, every player over 195cm from 2007 onwards not named Minson, Talia, JONES OH MAN JONES, Tiller, Callan, etc.

LOOK AT THESE GUYS. No wonder we all hated footy so much. You know how when something horrible happens to you, and people will tell you "one day you'll look back at this and laugh"? When I saw Ed Barlow running long distances very slowly and not getting the ball ever last year in the VFL, you better believe I was losing it.

Over-whipped

Jarrad Grant - The sad thing is, if Jarrad was still with us, I know that I'd go to every game thinking that he was going to kick 8. LIMITLESS POTENTIAL. It's from the same part of my sub-conscious that still thinks Fev can play in the AFL.

Ryan Hargrave - My old man had a vendetta against Hargrave, so he became my favourite player for a while. Still should have made that AA team in 2009.

Brodie Moles - Comedic genius. The OG of "durr hard team to break into down there at Geelong durr". Really handy in Supercoach in 08.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Whipped:

Pat Bowden - The Tin Man. Enough said.
Jordan McMahon - The only good thing was Jackson Macrae at the end.
Mark West - I still blame him for 1997 and no one can change my mind on that.
Jade Rawlings - One of our worst stuff ups.
Sherman - Never made any sense. In any and every use of that phrase.
Doogs - Pea heart who was never invested in trying to revive his AFL 'career'

Over Whipped:

Nathan Eagleton - It could get hard defending him against a tsunami. But I'd do it all again. He put his heart & soul into our club.
Jarrad Grant - Had tools & tricks. Just couldn't get it together.
Tim Walsh - I was just hoping our pick 4 would come good at any point.
Shaggy Hargrave - When he played on someone his own size finally, he was a very good player. His punch on Black was a highlight too.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Whipped

Nathan Buckley-era Matthew Boyd - I really appreciate how String (most of the time) tries to do the coolest possible thing when he has the footy, because like 7/10 times it works. Boyd hit maybe (maybe?) 0.2/10m and even then it was a 30m pass to a guy on the wing at absolute best. HATED this version Boyd.

Assorted scrubs that I had to pretend to like - Djerrkura, Darley, Young, Pearce, BARLOW, Reid, Hooper ("Nah man he's good as, he won the Larke Medal" - me in 2011 with a vocal quiver that couldn't have fooled a 3 year old), Skinner, Howard, Tutt, Vezspremi, Austin, Markovic, Lower, every player over 195cm from 2007 onwards not named Minson, Talia, JONES OH MAN JONES, Tiller, Callan, etc.

LOOK AT THESE GUYS. No wonder we all hated footy so much. You know how when something horrible happens to you, and people will tell you "one day you'll look back at this and laugh"? When I saw Ed Barlow running long distances very slowly and not getting the ball ever last year in the VFL, you better believe I was losing it.

Over-whipped

Jarrad Grant - The sad thing is, if Jarrad was still with us, I know that I'd go to every game thinking that he was going to kick 8. LIMITLESS POTENTIAL. It's from the same part of my sub-conscious that still thinks Fev can play in the AFL.

Ryan Hargrave - My old man had a vendetta against Hargrave, so he became my favourite player for a while. Still should have made that AA team in 2009.

Brodie Moles - Comedic genius. The OG of "durr hard team to break into down there at Geelong durr". Really handy in Supercoach in 08.

Great posts. Very funny. Yes, our list has been for periods like driving the family ford, putting some mags on it and pretending its a street car.
Brodie Moles! I'd totally forgotten about him. One of those players who was fine as long as he ran in straight lines. Defended him from a whipping by Chops now and then. We all know how that used to go!
Barlow, well I thought he was kind of comic value and when he actually did something it was a pleasure.
Hindsight is an easy thing in retrospect, but there was no arguing that 'reaches' like Skinner never really looked anything but speculative so I tended to stay encouraging but mostly silent.

Had Matty Boyd been held accountable for his kicking earlier in his career and moved down back, we may have had a 100+ games out of him as a premium defender.

comrade
01-06-2016, 01:12 PM
As others have already commented on, we've had an assortment of players that deserved the whip.

Now, I'm sure he's a great guy but the biggest imposter I've ever seen in a Bulldogs jumper is James Mulligan. He just wasn't an AFL footballer and should have stuck with boogie boarding.

Michael Talia was another one that caused moments that had me questioning why I follow the sport at all.

As for who I would defend constantly...

Two words.

Jarrod.
Boumann.

Sedat
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Whipped:

Justin Sherman - He had one good season in 7 when we got him. Such a dumb footballer and obviously a campaigner as well with the way he vilified Wilkinson on the field. Harbrow pick gone up in smoke.

Peter Quill - He once had a free kick on defensive 50 (at Optus Oval against Carlton), kicked across the ground and it went out of bounds on the full beside the opposite point post - they got a goal from it. Another classic was when he had the ball on defensive 50 HBF against Freo at the kennel in 1995 - we were a couple of points up and instead of going up the wing he inexplicably went inboard straight to an unsuspecting Ben Allan about 55m out from goal. Cue final siren sounding and Allan's after the siren kick only dropped short about 2-3 m from the goal line. Quill had the rare ability to conjure up high quality clangers of epic proportions in every match.

Sam Power - if only the goals were located on the wings, he might have been the greatest player the game has ever seen

Nathan Djerkurra - if only the football was created with a handle, he could have been anything

Nathan Eagleton - nobody has a better highlights passage of long range junk time goals

Defend:

Ed Barlow - Sure we only drafted him because we thought he was Luke Vogels but huge props for being the only person in living memory to beat Crossy in a time trial. Cheesy was ahead of his time actually - he'd be quite handy as a ruck relief/role player today with the reduced rotations.

Gia - reasons already stated by others. One particular passage stood out for me - his amazing vision, composure and skill execution to spot up Johnno against Norf in 2008, only for Johnno to stuff up the kick after the siren. Just about everyone else would have blazed away.

ledge
01-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Ed Barlow was still getting a game at Richmond in the VFL last year.

Twodogs
01-06-2016, 09:27 PM
I haven't ripped on a player since I really let fly at Peter Street for giving away a 50 v Adelaide at the MCG in 2006. I leaned forward and really let flew for quite a while and when I'd finished I realised I'd been screaming invective directly into the right ear of my mate's primary school age daughter for the best part of 30 seconds.

I began to apologise when she stopped me and said "I couldn't have said it better"

bulldogtragic
01-06-2016, 09:36 PM
I haven't ripped on a player since I really let fly at Peter Street for giving away a 50 v Adelaide at the MCG in 2006. I leaned forward and really let flew for quite a while and when I'd finished I realised I'd been screaming invective directly into the right ear of my mate's primary school age daughter for the best part of 30 seconds.

I began to apologise when she stopped me and said "I couldn't have said it better"

I dare you to do that to Peter (on duty) now! :D

Twodogs
02-06-2016, 12:53 AM

Mate. I wouldn't even do it to him if he was off duty.

Twodogs
02-06-2016, 12:56 AM
To be fair it did look like it had cost us a finals spot at the time. Thankfully a piece of Cooney magic moments later at the other end of the ground restored the equilibrium.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2016, 01:01 AM
Mate. I wouldn't even do it to him if he was off duty.

It just occurred to me Streeta is a copper. Walshy is a firey. We need to heavily invest in a player to become an ambo to cover the emergency services trifecta as our investment in a safer Victoria. There's been a few players good at hospital passes.

comrade
02-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Daniel Pearce is on his way to becoming a firey, I believe.

Twodogs
02-06-2016, 02:56 AM
It just occurred to me Streeta is a copper. Walshy is a firey. We need to heavily invest in a player to become an ambo to cover the emergency services trifecta as our investment in a safer Victoria. There's been a few players good at hospital passes.

Robbie McGhie's brother Steve is the head of the ambo's Union. Or he was. Don't know if he still is.

Remi Moses
02-06-2016, 03:26 AM
Robbie McGhie's brother Steve is the head of the ambo's Union. Or he was. Don't know if he still is.

I think you're thing of Stuart Magee .
Played for us in the 70's

Twodogs
02-06-2016, 04:54 AM
I think you're thing of Stuart Magee .
Played for us in the 70's

Nah. Joe, Robbie, Steve and Warren are the brothers. Steve and Warren both played for Yarraville in the VFA. Robbie and Joe for Footscray. Definitely the McGhie boys.

Ozza
02-06-2016, 09:00 AM

A good mate of mine (also in the police force) has played footy with Streeta in the Victorian coppers side the last few years when they've had their national carnivals. Reckons he's a ripping bloke.

EasternWest
02-06-2016, 09:22 AM

I spent the day with Tim the other day. He's a nice guy.

1eyedog
02-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Whipped

I used to get stuck into Emmett Dunne. He was terrible for us. It's the old Sockeye Sockism that rings true with Emmett. 'You know you're washed up when you are drafted to play full forward for Footscray'.

Over-whipped

Jake Stringer. Fark the crows circle him sometimes after he struggles to get into it. He's a gun and we expect too much. Early 20s, hasn't played 70 games yet and often goes it alone. He's still working on his game. How about focusing on everything he does amazingly well that no-one else can do rather than how many tackles he gets inside F50? If he's not doing the behind the play work at 25 and 150 games we've got issues.

always right
02-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Barlow used to do my head in simply because of the message his selection sent to supporters. Everyone knew he was not AFL standard. Everyone knew he would not be a part of a successful Bulldogs era. Each time he ran out with our seniors it reminded me how far away we were from a premiership.

Fletcher Roberts has become my whipping boy this year...and it seems to have happened quickly. Up until this year I held out hope that he would make it. I noted in the pre season how hard he was working on his upper body strength in order to combat players like Taylor Walker. I now realise he isn't going to make it. He gets bustled off the ball too easily. He goes to ground too easily. He lacks intensity and urgency. He drops uncontested marks. His kicking is adequate but predictable. Everyone tries to find positives in his game but the best most can say about him is how he occasionally neutralizes a contest. He appears to lack self confidence and whilst he seems like a nice bloke, I just don't see him in our future.

Jake Stringer makes me shake my head, either in disbelief at the ridiculous goals he kicks or in disbelief at how dumb he can be. I love it that he plays for us because we have never had anyone like him but I hate how he fails to adapt his approach in games where things aren't working. Last Sunday was a classic example. We weren't playing well, our disposal was poor and Collingwood were pressuring us well through the midfield. Every ball coming in was dirty ball yet Jake continued to run to the same space wide and out the back, always just that little bit too deep for the kick under pressure to reach him. Yes he's young but he shouldn't be beyond criticism.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2016, 10:38 AM
I honestly have never had any whipping boys. When they pull on the jumper I support them all. Just thinking how boring that is. Wish I had one now.:)

The Pie Man
02-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Whipped

Sam Power - didn't lack courage at the contest, just the courage to make a decision. Didn't help that he played his best half a season for us up forward when Murph did his knee, then got shunted back the next year to continue delivering very little.

Patrick Bowden - I note he's been mentioned on this thread already. Not surprised. The most annoying thing was that he should've made it big.

I loved Daniel Cross, but boy he did my head in sometimes. My love outweighed the bad comfortably in the end.

Over-whipped

I used to hope that Keiran McGuiness would make it following a decent debut at FF. Went from HBF to VFL to delisted pretty quickly.

I always thought Mark Austin was a reasonable contributor in a Dogs jumper, yet he'd cop it mercilessly on here (I'm much happier with our current back set up obviously)

There's a few I never thought would make it but did - never really whipping material, just had my doubts. Thought JJ was gone when he got injured in his final rookie year before he made his AFL debut - on that basis alone, no-one should ever listen to/read an opinion I have on a player or the game ever.

Twodogs
03-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Whipped

Made me laugh.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2016, 01:08 AM
I could name a thousand duds (ie. Markovic, Young and Austin) but in terms of decent players I was never utterly sold on Daniel Cross. Phenomenal work rate, great mark above his head, but he was so slow he got run down by Leigh Brown and couldn't kick over a jam tin. Not sure I'd classify him as a whipping boy per se, but I didn't warm to him as most others did.

Roberts is currently my whipping boy. Just not a fan and don't see what he brings to our side beyond height.

Over whipped? Probably agree on some that have already been suggested. I'd throw in Redpath at times.

Remi Moses
03-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Blimey ^^ bit harsh

Remi Moses
03-06-2016, 05:40 AM
I've got one now playing against Footscray tomorrow . Ayce Cordy
I thought Gia was overly whipped by the fan base .
Eagleton another .
Neil Cordy back in the day, and Luke Darcy until about 2000, and I remember Luke giving a few of us a serve at the Heatley stand end back in the late 90's .

Twodogs
03-06-2016, 06:56 AM
Neil Cordy was well deserved. That Essendon game.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I could name a thousand duds (ie. Markovic, Young and Austin) but in terms of decent players I was never utterly sold on Daniel Cross. Phenomenal work rate, great mark above his head, but he was so slow he got run down by Leigh Brown and couldn't kick over a jam tin. Not sure I'd classify him as a whipping boy per se, but I didn't warm to him as most others did.

Roberts is currently my whipping boy. Just not a fan and don't see what he brings to our side beyond height.

Over whipped? Probably agree on some that have already been suggested. I'd throw in Redpath at times.

Oh the players you mention I would have defended. Funny how two people can see players so differently isn't it?. If you were tall, and reasonably athletic, there was a career for you with us during the McCartney era, when we didn't have much answer for big gorilla forwards.Marco in particular was like a kid you see on a school footy field, just battling it out against all odds.

Another sign of how poor I am at reading potential - I honestly thought Easton Wood in the same category. Athletic, but couldn't play.

Young - I always thought he did some good things. But I'm a fan of Dylan Addison so what do I know? Hey at least Addison stood up in a final for us. I seem to recall one prelim where it was him, Pickers, Callan Ward and the rest of the team stank it up.

Remi - yes the forum's whips had to go to the repair shop a few times over the Ayce Cordy journey. A good 'diamond in the rough' with lots of potential. Injuries and this game batters taller blokes, their knees, shoulders. Our athletes are pretty amazing, what they do.

bornadog
03-06-2016, 10:15 AM
I use to have whipping boys when I was younger, but these days I appreciate the work these guys put in just to get into the team.

Yes, I will have my say if a player is not up to it or should be dropped, but I feel that is different than just blatantly hating a particular player.

BulldogBelle
03-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I agree with most of the whipping-boys that have been mentioned above.

Here is an old one:
Brian Cordy, when he and Abbey played well we always seemed to win. But crikey, when he was off he was really off. I met him at the footy a few weeks back and we just talked about Zaine.

Someone I could never whip:
Nathan Eagleton, he just seemed to try so hard, I couldn't bring myself to criticize.

Everybody loves this guy but me:
Daniel Cross, I disliked his dinky little handballs, his backward passing, his lack of run, his holding up the play and little kicks. He should have been taking the game on for my liking, I thought that there were midfielders in the VFL that would have served us better. Annoyed the crap out of me when people gave him votes. Annoyed me even more when he got Cooney's club B&F.

Mark Austin, after his last VFL match in which he got about 2 touches he still hangs around the club. I wouldn't for shame. If I played like him I'd go hide somewhere, maybe even emigrate. He must have photos.

Current whipping boys:
Fletcher Roberts, has no run to speak of and can lose a one-on-one contest terribly.

Mitch Honeychurch, is not clever or skilled enough, is not up to AFL standard.

Nathan Hrovat, just stuffs things up too much.

Whipping-boys who came good and gave me a red face:
Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris.

Future Whipping-boys:
Lin Jong, I have not whipped him yet but I am just getting it out and ready to lay in for the VFL match this Sunday. He has had more than enough time.

comrade
03-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Dale Morris, a whipping boy? Heretic!

Happy Days
03-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Someone I could never whip:
Nathan Eagleton, he just seemed to try so hard, I couldn't bring myself to criticize.

Everybody loves this guy but me:
Daniel Cross, I disliked his dinky little handballs, his backward passing, his lack of run, his holding up the play and little kicks. He should have been taking the game on for my liking, I thought that there were midfielders in the VFL that would have served us better. Annoyed the crap out of me when people gave him votes. Annoyed me even more when he got Cooney's club B&F.

Are you sure you have this around the right way?

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2016, 11:58 AM
I use to have whipping boys when I was younger, but these days I appreciate the work these guys put in just to get into the team.

Yes, I will have my say if a player is not up to it or should be dropped, but I feel that is different than just blatantly hating a particular player.

Two that come to mind for you are Goodes and Adcock BAD ;)

bornadog
03-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Future Whipping-boys:
Lin Jong, I have not whipped him yet but I am just getting it out and ready to lay in for the VFL match this Sunday. He has had more than enough time.

Jong still out suspended, so save your whipping.

always right
03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Ringer;498252]I agree with most of the whipping

Wow.

I have nothing more to say.

Mantis
03-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Geez.. Where do I start?

Through my younger years I used to ear-bash a lot of players... I have calmed down a bit now, but still lose my shit every so often.. Some of my favourites to whip:

* Nathan Eagleton - clear number 1, junk time king who continually let us down in big moments.. Everyone who has been around this board for a while knows how hard I went on him, I even got the opportunity to let the MC know how I felt about him in late 2010.

* Jason Watts - quite possibly the worst player to have ever won a clubs kicking goal kicking award.. No surprise that as we improved in 1997 he fell out if favour.

* Todd Curley - loved by Wallet, hated by me.. Just not very good at anything, except running into umpires.

* Mark Alvey - Eagleton clone.

bornadog
03-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Two that come to mind for you are Goodes and Adcock BAD ;)

The whipping there is for the recruiters.;)

Adcock, I think most will agree, has not lived up to his reputation (to date), probably has played one good game.

hujsh
03-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Adcock, I think most will agree, has not lived up to his reputation (to date), probably has played one good game.

That's about in line with his performance last year isn't it? I'd say he's performed about as well as one could expect

bornadog
03-06-2016, 05:12 PM
That's about in line with his performance last year isn't it? I'd say he's performed about as well as one could expect

and therefore a whipping to the recruitment.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2016, 05:22 PM
The whipping there is for the recruiters.;)

He filled a role for a few weeks there when our cupboard for HBFers was absolutely bare, but I agree he was pretty underwhelming and shouldn't be on the list next season.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Geez.. Where do I start?

Through my younger years I used to ear-bash a lot of players... I have calmed down a bit now, but still lose my shit every so often.. Some of my favourites to whip:

* Nathan Eagleton - clear number 1, junk time king who continually let us down in big moments.. Everyone who has been around this board for a while knows how hard I went on him, I even got the opportunity to let the MC know how I felt about him in late 2010.

Those were the days.

What was your favourite Eagleton moment? Mine would have to be not making the distance from about 40m out at a crucial stage in the 2008 PF. Vintage Eagleton.

Greystache
03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Those were the days.

What was your favourite Eagleton moment? Mine would have to be not making the distance from about 40m out at a crucial stage in the 2008 PF. Vintage Eagleton.

Mine would be not making the distance from 35m against Essendon only for Fletcher to kick it out on the full and give a free kick to Grant.

Give Eagleton a shot at goal in a big moment of a big game and he can't kick 30m, give him a shot in junktime against a bottom 4 team and he can drill them from 60m. A player of absolutely no substance who was born to play in mediocre teams.

Greystache
03-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I never rated Minson, a one dimensional player whose dimension wasn't very important.

I never rated J Grant, a player of no dimensions who got some supporters excited that they might occasionally see a dimension.

Fortunately Bevo came along and moved both on. I don't whip Bevo :)

KT31
03-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Geez.. Where do I start?

* Nathan Eagleton - clear number 1, junk time king who continually let us down in big moments.. Everyone who had been around this board for a while knows how hard I went on him, I even got the opportunity to let the MC know how I felt about him in late 2010.

As soon as this thread came up I thought of you and the Eagle.:)

KT31
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Mine would be not making the distance from 35m against Essendon only for Fletcher to kick it out on the full and give a free kick to Grant.

Give Eagleton a shot at goal in a big moment of a big game and he can't kick 30m, give him a shot in junktime against a bottom 4 team and he can drill them from 60m. A player of absolutely no substance who was born to play in mediocre teams.

So to be fair without The Eagle, one of the best goals in our history would never have happened.;)

ledge
03-06-2016, 07:08 PM
From going to games and hearing supporters, Roberts cops a bit, Dickson has copped it at times which sometimes makes me wonder do some supporters have any idea ?
Roughead has been a popular whipper over the years.
We are going pretty well at the moment though. We have always had a few whipping boys but its hard to find a consistently whipped one now.

Mantis
03-06-2016, 07:33 PM

That's probably mine too.

The fact that he bombed 2 goals from outside 50m in last qtr junk time the week before just showed his true colours and how he couldn't handle the situation.

LostDoggy
03-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Previously whipped:

Jarrad Grant, Liam Jones, Josh Hill, Ayce Cordy.... oh lordy I could go on forever! Basically just crushed my hopes and dreams with never ever living up to their occasional flickers of potential. I used to absolutely hate on Eagleton, too.

Currently whipped:

Roughy. Roberts. Adcock.

LostDoggy
03-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Oooh Farren Ray. I had the biggest crush on him but holy hell, in hindsight what a shit player. I remember him getting ran down/ caught holding the ball like every fricken week.

LostDoggy
03-06-2016, 08:02 PM
I love this thread.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Previously whipped:

Jarrad Grant, Liam Jones, Josh Hill, Ayce Cordy.... oh lordy I could go on forever! Basically just crushed my hopes and dreams with never ever living up to their occasional flickers of potential. I used to absolutely hate on Eagleton, too.

Currently whipped:

Roughy. Roberts. Adcock.

Good call on Ayce. How quickly I erased him from my memory.

LostDoggy
03-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Good call on Ayce. How quickly I erased him from my memory.

I went to school with him so I always really hoped he'd come good. NOPE.

Greystache
03-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Oooh Farren Ray. I had the biggest crush on him but holy hell, in hindsight what a shit player. I remember him getting ran down/ caught holding the ball like every fricken week.

The gazelle... Not because he was graceful, but because he gets rundown from behind in open space.

comrade
03-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't forget the the trademark Faz hospital handball at least once a game.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2016, 09:10 PM
From going to games and hearing supporters, Roberts cops a bit, Dickson has copped it at times which sometimes makes me wonder do some supporters have any idea ?
Roughead has been a popular whipper over the years.
We are going pretty well at the moment though. We have always had a few whipping boys but its hard to find a consistently whipped one now.

Adcock I would say. He cops a whipping even when he's out of the side. That's a real sign of whippability.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I never rated Minson, a one dimensional player whose dimension wasn't very important.

I never rated J Grant, a player of no dimensions who got some supporters excited that they might occasionally see a dimension.

Fortunately Bevo came along and moved both on. I don't whip Bevo :)

Anyone you would say was over-whipped? It's very easy from where we sit. At times player's issues are completely blown out of proportion. Look at Leicester city. Bunch of players nobody wants. They make a premiership team out of them.
Bevo has really turned some players around and its a joy to watch.

Ozza
09-06-2016, 11:10 AM
My whipping boys;

- Eagleton - for all the reasons Greystache and Mantis have covered - but also, we used to call him 'Fumbleton' and then later just 'Fumbles'.
- Sam Power - Sort of the poster boy of our really bad playing and drafting years. His ability to kick 15 metres to a contest, couldn't be underestimated.

And another who, whilst I wouldn't say he was my 'whipping boy' - but rather just a player I never warmed to, was Brian Lake. Obviously a very talented player at his best. Brilliant at times. But I thought his attitude stunk, and I really didn't like the way his last contract negotiation played out.

And I don't think I've been a fan of any of our number '1' jumper wearers until Suckling came along! (J.Grant, Farren, Andrew Wills!). Suckling is quickly making up for my previous lack of affection for the no.1s...

KT31
09-06-2016, 12:54 PM
My whipping boys;

And I don't think I've been a fan of any of our number '1' jumper wearers until Suckling came along! (J.Grant, Farren, Andrew Wills!). Suckling is quickly making up for my previous lack of affection for the no.1s...

You have to go back to Purser to get a real decent Bulldog player in the number one jumper.

kruder
09-06-2016, 02:23 PM
How do you link two posts above? Cant stop laughing over the Farren Ray comments above! Or should we call him Simon Black as the draft perspectus lead us to believe. My number one all time Fav Whipped!

Second would be Liam Jones. I still remember a thread on here after a preseason game where he apprentley dominated people were calling him a star. If AFL was played over 5 metres that may be the case! Never a Footballer no matter what dimension you live in.

Oh while we are on Whipped from other teams Francis Bourke's son for Richmond IMO is the worst player I've seen play in the AFL! Come to think of it Richmond have had many...

Twodogs
09-06-2016, 02:25 PM

You have to go back to Purser to get a real decent Bulldog player in the number one jumper.

1 and 19 have long been a problem. 1 was bad enough but up until Shaun Higgins came along you had to go back to Garry Merrington to find another half decent player to wear 19.

hujsh
09-06-2016, 02:57 PM
How do you link two posts above? Cant stop laughing over the Farren Ray comments above! Or should we call him Simon Black as the draft perspectus lead us to believe. My number one all time Fav Whipped!

Second would be Liam Jones. I still remember a thread on here after a preseason game where he apprentley dominated people were calling him a star. If AFL was played over 5 metres that may be the case! Never a Footballer no matter what dimension you live in.

Oh while we are on Whipped from other teams Francis Bourke's son for Richmond IMO is the worst player I've seen play in the AFL! Come to think of it Richmond have had many...

The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?10338-The-Jones-Boy-I-will-declare-it-now-he-is-going-to-be-a-star&highlight=star)

Sorry to dob you in Bornadog. You weren't on your own though. BT apparently (and surprisingly given more recent comments) a big fan (among many others).

bornadog
09-06-2016, 03:14 PM
The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?10338-The-Jones-Boy-I-will-declare-it-now-he-is-going-to-be-a-star&highlight=star)

Sorry to dob you in Bornadog. You weren't on your own though. BT apparently (and surprisingly given more recent comments) a big fan (among many others).

That thread went well. :D

Twodogs
09-06-2016, 03:33 PM
The thread went brilliantly. It was Liam*'s career trajectory that let us all down.

*2014 Footscray premiership player

bulldogtragic
09-06-2016, 03:40 PM

I figured if he could do what he did in that first VFL reserves match (which I saw at Frankston) then he could develop into a gun. Little did I know his talent ceiling was hit in that game, a decent VFL reserves standard player.

bornadog
09-06-2016, 03:47 PM
I figured if he could do what he did in that first VFL reserves match (which I saw at Frankston) then he could develop into a gun. Little did I know his talent ceiling was hit in that game, a decent VFL reserves standard player.

I recall having a few arguments on this board finals time 2010 when I agreed with rocket. Many couldn't understand why Rocket dropped him in favour of Hahn, yet Jones hardly touched the ball in the preceding 3 to 4 weeks.

Twodogs
09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
He had that one half decent AFL season alongside Barry Hall. He kicked 5 or 6 one week and took a big hanger. We thought it might be the start of something but in reality it was a flame sputtering out.

jeemak
09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Great thread, I've had an awesome time reading it.

Daniel Cross was one I whipped in his final years with us, I think I got to the point where I turned the whip around and started bludgeoning him with the handle. His creativity dropped off, and he just took way too long to kick it sideways or backwards 15m. He turned into a high opportunity cost player.

My current target is Jake Stringer. I love his brilliance, arrogance and self belief, but as you've probably seen me write on more than a few occasions, he just flatly refuses to do the simple things well and I can't stand when footballers don't take care of the basics. I wouldn't trade him for anything though.

I always struggled to understand why certain traits in Gia (lack of repeat effort ability) and Higgins (giving on field instructions) offended so many people. With Eagleton, I really liked him as a player, but much like many of that era he wasn't able to stand up when it counted.

G-Mo77
09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
I never really lay into guys just because they're not very good. Lack of effort and non team orientated stuff really gets me offside as a supporter. I'm usually pretty supportive overall, probably to supportive to some at times but I have my moments.

Whipped
What was that guys name again? German? Merman? No Sherman. Oh boy how happy I was when we landed him and how sad I was when I saw him. I don't think a player wearing our colors has ever made me so angry at the footy. I remember abusing him after he kicked a goal one game, instead of doing something simple he tried to make it part of his personal highlight real. :mad:

Jason Tutt. He kicked 5 in his first game and was the Canberra king. I really never saw much him at all. Wild animals look braver in the headlights. He's a VFL GF guy so I do appreciate what he did here but glad he's a Blue now.

Howard. Yeah another GF guy but yeah. There are times when you just need to cut your losses an move on we gave Howard far to long to live up to those expectations.

Lake. I was harsh on him because he was just so bloody good but man he frustrated the hell out of me. He was the kind of guy to hold the best forward down but the next week have some gimp kick a bag (Yes I watched you closely the day Leigh Brown kicked 5)

Josh Hill. I drew so many stares after letting fly on this guy when Willy lost the VFL GF. This heartless joke couldn't barely lift his eyes from the ground for the entire game. I don't know why he still draws boos from our fans he's a nothing.

Defended

Jones. I really thought would make it. I was upset he went and thought he'd burn us.

Wayde Skipper was one guy I defended a lot. Can't remember what season it was but closed out the final 3 weeks nicely and never really came back after that. Had an off-season injury from memory.

Addison. To quote Darcy "I loved the way he went about it" I'll always defend players like that.

Cordy I was very patient with as well.

comrade
09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
That thread went well. :D

Haha had a quick read through to check if I made any grand claims. Phew.

That thread went pretty quiet after his 'breakout' game against the Pies.

Gotta love our optimism and enthusiasm for all Doggies players. We give them plenty of chances but unfortunately, sometimes they don't work out.

KT31
09-06-2016, 05:49 PM
How do you link two posts above?

kruder, the multi-post link is right in the bottom corner of each post, just too the right of the "Reply With Quote" link.

hujsh
09-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Wayde Skipper was one guy I defended a lot. Can't remember what season it was but closed out the final 3 weeks nicely and never really came back after that. Had an off-season injury from memory.

Would have been part of our 05 run at the finals. Kicked 5 one week but was part of that disastrous free to Jeff *!*!*!*!ing White. And for all their effort to get in ahead of us the Dees were promptly smashed by Geelong.

jeemak
09-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Would have been part of our 05 run at the finals. Kicked 5 one week but was part of that disastrous free to Jeff *!*!*!*!ing White. And for all their effort to get in ahead of us the Dees were promptly smashed by Geelong.

Was that the free where a Melbourne player pushed Skipper in the back forcing him to career into White's back?

bornadog
09-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Was that the free where a Melbourne player pushed Skipper in the back forcing him to career into White's back?

It was a tight game at the G, and the ball was thrown in from the boundary line, and I think what you explained above is what happened. Some how white got the free and kicked the goal and we lost.

Bulldog Revolution
09-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Brilliant thread

There are some classics in there that drew the ire of many dogs

I struggle to come at the whipping of Cross or Boyd - self made footballers through sheer effort

Hargrave for me was a good footballer who would idea in todays game

I appreciated what Eagleton brought to the table but clearly many others didn't - I still remember fondly standing at the footy with a bald bulldog dad and his son, who loved eagle, and the dad thought it was because he was bald like dad

I try not to be a whipper but it was hard to appreciate what Brad Murphy, Patrick Bowden, Sam Power, Andrew McDougall, James Mulligan, Andrew Hooper brought to the table

Under-whipped:

Liam Jones - I tried to be positive but until he left and I saw our forward line in 2015 Id never fully realised just how much I hated him

Scott Clayton - one great draft does not a recruiter make

hujsh
09-06-2016, 11:21 PM
I try not to be a whipper but it was hard to appreciate what Brad Murphy, Patrick Bowden, Sam Power, Andrew McDougall, James Mulligan, Andrew Hooper brought to the table

Never understood the absolute faith some people had that he'd make it. Like his kicking that goal in a final made him the chosen one in an epic prophesy.

Andrew Hooper: King of the Jews/North/Footscray

merantau
09-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Brad Murphy - didn't he boot 5 for us in a game? Older players: Stephen "Pretty Boy" Knight. Mark?? Perrin - someone draped a sign over the fence that read: "Keep Perrin in the Twos" Mark Cullen - flashy type. Graeme "Fumbles" Cordy.
Actually, there haven't been too many over the years. Alby Smedts? Luke Penney?

Twodogs
10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Brian Perrin.

westdog54
10-06-2016, 06:16 AM
The only real whipping boy I had was Nathan Djerkurra. Quite possibly the worst set of hands I've seen in RW&B.

I can remember going to one game and watching a young JJ dash from half back and put a kick down his throat, only for him to drop it cold. IIRC I verbalised it thus: "Geez that's a beautiful ki... oh for *!*!*!*!'S SAKE DJ!!"

My dad's whipping boy progression was something along the lines of Eagleton - Higgins - Stack - Back to Higgins/Jones (they were level in their later days with the club).

Although I had a soft spot for Wayde Skipper I think I saw quite possibly the worst game he ever played one pre-season, which he capped of when the one clean centre hitout he had for the night went straight down the throat of the opposition ruckman.

M. Boyd is a classic example of over-whipped.

merantau
10-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Brian Perrin.

Thank TD. Did you ever see that sign I referred to? I remember at the time thinking: Jilted ex? Childhood enemy? Mate with twisted sense of humour? Just bizarre? If it was about his ability than I wouldn't catagorise it as whipping - more a vicious flogging with intent!

The bulldog tragician
10-06-2016, 07:21 PM
I knew the person who was so devoted to Brian Perrin. He alternated between signs which said: Bring back Brian Perrin, and Keep Brian Perrin in the team 😀
For some reason Jason Tutt always reminded me of Perrin, but dont think Tutt had even one such fanatical fan

merantau
10-06-2016, 07:40 PM
I knew the person who was so devoted to Brian Perrin. He alternated between signs which said: Bring back Brian Perrin, and Keep Brian Perrin in the team 😀
For some reason Jason Tutt always reminded me of Perrin, but dont think Tutt had even one such fanatical fan

Looks like Brian had a polarizing effect on our supporters!
I thought he was a pretty handy player. Had pace to burn. But he got cleaned up something shocking one day and sort of did a Lord Lucan sometime after.

Twodogs
10-06-2016, 09:35 PM
I knew the person who was so devoted to Brian Perrin. He alternated between signs which said: Bring back Brian Perrin, and Keep Brian Perrin in the team ��

That's right. Pretty much any Footscray game you see Televised from the late 70s to mid 80s will have one of the two hanging n the fence.

boydogs
11-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Whipped

Ayce Cordy - Didn't show the required intensity & physicality. Much easier to get behind someone who is obviously limited but having a crack (think Lin Jong)

Over Whipped

Jack Macrae - Cops it for poor disposal, but he is mostly a good user. Finds space in a shoebox to get a kick away. Runs hard to help defend and present as an option to move the ball up field

merantau
11-06-2016, 02:05 AM
Over whipped: Trent Bartlett. A good ordinary footballer who gave his all for us. Saw him get cleaned up when he played for Brisbane - sickening clash. Showed true guts to get out there again and never shirked an issue when he played for us.
Booted 5 in a win over the despised Carlton at Princes Park so will always be thought highly of by me.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 02:09 AM
Over whipped: Trent Bartlett. A good ordinary footballer who gave his all for us. Saw him get cleaned up when he played for Brisbane - sickening clash. Showed true guts to get out there again and never shirked an issue when he played for us.
Booted 5 in a win over the despised Carlton at Princes Park so will always be thought highly of by me.

Including the winner from an outrageous free kick right in front deep in time on. :D

merantau
11-06-2016, 02:21 AM
Including the winner from an outrageous free kick right in front deep in time on. :D

I didn't realise that. Makes it all the sweeter to know the fine detail. Thanks TD.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 06:28 AM
I didn't realise that. Makes it all the sweeter to know the fine detail. Thanks TD.

It was Bob Murphy's first game. He was gatored in the huddle.

westdog54
11-06-2016, 07:59 AM
I think you two are thinking of different matches.

Bartlett's 5 against Carlton was at Docklands, and it was the week John Elliot talked about how we'd won one premiership in our "tragic history"

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 08:35 AM
I think you two are thinking of different matches.

Bartlett's 5 against Carlton was at Docklands, and it was the week John Elliot talked about how we'd won one premiership in our "tragic history"

That's right. The ugg boot had two big moments against the blues, the 5 goal game was only his second or third game for us I think.