PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned-round 11 v West Coast.

Twodogs
05-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Ye shall have but three.

GVGjr
05-06-2016, 06:11 PM
As Twodogs so eloquently says, it's 1,2 and 3.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 07:18 PM
1. Fletch had a couple of very crucial touches. Happy to see him make contributions.
2. We can play Tom Boyd & Redders in the same team up forward. The question is if Camhead also play.
3. Libba is the best goal kicker off one step in the comp.

Twodogs
05-06-2016, 07:31 PM
1. I love this club so much more than I thought.
2. Its damn annoying having a non functioning phone during a game. I didn't realise what an escape valve texting people my football frustrations and elations had become.
3. Marcus Bontempelli became the youngest winning captain in V/AFL history.

lemmon
05-06-2016, 07:38 PM
1. Roughy's marking is finally starting to get there. Was very good around the ground today

2. Roberts is much improved in traffic, was running over the ground today, full of confidence

3. Stringer still may end up a midfielder...

LostDoggy
05-06-2016, 07:43 PM
1. Roberts can be not entirely terrible at times (which somehow almost makes him more frustrating?)
2. Josh Hill is still a spud
3. Campbell looks way better with a beard

comrade
05-06-2016, 07:45 PM
1. With a continuous run at it, Roberts may become a valuable best 22 player.
2. Bonti was a true leader out there today. Definitely can see him taking the reigns as our next long term captain.
3. Camhead are hungry and I love it. That Campbell goal was an absolute gem.

westbulldog
05-06-2016, 07:56 PM
1. Shane Biggs is one very underrated player.
2. Jack still deserves his place.
3. Matt Boyd and Dale Morris should play again in 2017.

azabob
05-06-2016, 08:02 PM
1. Liberatore is easing into the season nicely. He is near his 2014 form. He will be a huge assest going into the second half of the season.

2. Today was the first time I saw Stringer's value as a midfielder rather than a deep forward.

3. We can slow the game speed down when required. Losing McLean before halftime required us to be smarter and not run and gun for the entire second half.

The bulldog tragician
05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
1. These boys have the hunger, the burn, the will to get us that flag.
2. Bailey Williams' composure in such a fierce contest all day was elite.
3. Fletch can make it. This match showed that confidence, and a good clear run with injury for once, is what he needs to become a good player for us. This will be vital in freeing up Morris for the match ups that suit him best.

bornadog
05-06-2016, 09:19 PM
1. We never ever give up.

2. We definitely have the best midfield in the AFL

3. These stats are misleading - 124 more disposals, 39 more cont. poss., more clearances and stoppages yet only win by 8 points

The Underdog
05-06-2016, 09:30 PM
1. While Tom Campbell gets plaudits, Jordan Roughead is equally as important. Has been fantastic. (Except his kicking at goal, but I didn't learn that)
2. Matt Suckling helps take away the aesthetic pain of missing watching Bob
3. I don't know who my favourite player on this team is. There's too many to choose

Daughter of the West
05-06-2016, 09:36 PM
1. There is something inherently satisfying about taking the pup to his very first match and the Bulldogs winning. Even better that we beat his father's team. I feel vindicated! May it be the first of many, many wins he sees.

2. Having a fellow supporter with a radio nearby is really, really handy. I desperately needed to know how long there was to go with the Weagles making a late charge.

3. Our hand balling can sometimes be too cute. And there were far too many instances today where it went straight to a player in a worse position.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2016, 10:16 PM
1. A certain poster on this site may well have been right about Fletch - played a solid game today and had a few very important moments late where he made good decisions and executed them well.

2. Jake could/should spend more time in the middle, his power to break tackles and move through congestion adds a point of difference to our set up.

3. Caleb Daniel isn't getting the media or external recognition he deserves.

ratsmac
05-06-2016, 10:16 PM
1. Maybe just maybe Fletcher Roberts could hold down our full back position. He worked well with Adams keeping the best full forward in the league to just 1 goal.
2. Camhead (first time using that nickname, I'm on board) are continuing to keep another dangerous ruckman to be a non factor.
3. We are a seriously good team. On our day we can beat any team in the comp. The premiership is up for grabs this year with an even comp. We can win it.

SlimPickens
05-06-2016, 10:31 PM
1. Lachie Hunter could be an All Australian this year.

2. Matty Boyd is so incredibly important to our team defence.

3. Tom Campbell is our number 1 ruck. What a great season he is putting together.

Happy Days
05-06-2016, 11:44 PM
1. Redpath and Roberts aren't hopeless. Took a lot to admit that.

2. West Coast are so conservative with their ball use and not having that extra space to kick the ball into wholly limits their effectiveness as a football team. They couldn't generate any possession chains and it showed massively on the stats sheet. We should have won by more.

3. The ball couldn't have been in safer hands at the end with Le Cras lining up.

LostDoggy
06-06-2016, 12:16 AM
1 - We have the best 2 way running midfield in the comp. Macrae and Hunter lead the way.

2 - Our team defence has really improved as a result of point 1. Despite several forward half turnovers we rarely got burnt the other way.

3 - Boyd has become one of the safest blokes with ball in hand!

Twodogs
06-06-2016, 12:54 AM
1. There is something inherently satisfying about taking the pup to his very first match and the Bulldogs winning. Even better that we beat his father's team. I feel vindicated! May it be the first of many, many wins he sees.

2. Having a fellow supporter with a radio nearby is really, really handy. I desperately needed to know how long there was to go with the Weagles making a late charge.

3. Our hand balling can sometimes be too cute. And there were far too many instances today where it went straight to a player in a worse position.

Welcome to the most prestigious club in the little bulldog.

The TVs in the concourse on level one show how long is left.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2016, 01:04 AM
1.Would not have predicated 38 contested differential. Eagles look like a strong bodied team, but they were outpaced and out-scrambled by a younger team.
2. Stringer is a game breaker in every sense. Kicks clutch goals, splits a midfield. He's not just a show pony. If he can't get in the game, throw him in the middle again please.
3. McClean is a much needed linking player for us. Makes good decisions and we missed him when he went off. Has become very important for us.

AndrewP6
06-06-2016, 01:08 AM

I've generally got my headphones on, handy to hear some details that you may miss.

Twodogs
06-06-2016, 01:46 AM
Dad doesn't do it now but he used to have a transistor radio blaring at the game we were at. It drove me bonkers.

Bullies
06-06-2016, 08:59 AM
1. We will miss Mclean if he is out for a long period
2. Roberts will make it. They are making him into a key defender and he has only played 25 games so he needs time. the more he plays the better he will be. He is highly rated by the coaching team.
3. Our backs are under rated

Mantis
06-06-2016, 09:26 AM
3. Our backs are under rated

By whom?

Mofra
06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
By whom?
Most of our own fans. Roberts is the new team whipping boy but he was very very good yesterday

Mantis
06-06-2016, 09:57 AM
Most of our own fans. Roberts is the new team whipping boy but he was very very good yesterday

That's just one player.. And to be fair that was Roberts best game (by a fair way) yesterday.

Mofra
06-06-2016, 09:57 AM
1. Macrae does more off the ball than he does on it. His gut-running and getting to position is incredible.

2. It feels safer with the ball in Caleb Daniel's hand than it does with any other player on our list. Smart footballer.

3. Stringer might just end up more midfield than forward after all. Beast at the stoppages, he's made for finals.

Mofra
06-06-2016, 09:59 AM
That's just one player.. And to be fair that was Roberts best game (by a fair way) yesterday.
Pre-season we had big question marks over Adams (and he was coming off a couple of poorer games) and there were question marks over our depth, especially key backs.
Not going to keep this going, this is not the thread for it. Bullies is allowed to have an opinion.

always right
06-06-2016, 10:01 AM
1. Macrae does more off the ball than he does on it. His gut-running and getting to position is incredible.

I watched him closely yesterday and was really impressed how hard he works to cover players when the opposition switch play. Selfless running.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 10:19 AM

I cannot agree that he was very good yesterday. He was serviceable and did a couple of good things, but also made some bad mistakes resulting in goals. Just because Kennedy kicked one goal, that wasn't down to Roberts, that was bad delivery into the forward line by WC and our team defense to block Kennedy's leads.

He is improving with every game and at 25 games and aged 23 he has a long way to go and we can cut him some slack.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2016, 10:53 AM

2. It feels safer with the ball in Caleb Daniel's hand than it does with any other player on our list. Smart footballer.

3. Stringer might just end up more midfield than forward after all. Beast at the stoppages, he's made for finals.

Caleb had a few interesting moments last night. Generally and overwhelmingly he does the right thing. But we almost got caught out when he switched play right into the goal mouth. Noticed a few times when he goes for a tackle he sometimes tries to predict where the player is going to run, rather than going straight in. Pressuring the ball carrier to dispose is sometimes the best option. But for such a young kid he is doing really, really well.

merantau
06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I hope Roberts makes it. It can't be easy being under scrutiny all the time and, for his sake, I hope he has a thick skin. I'm really pleased to hear that he held his end up, along with others, to restrict a guy who has been a bogeyman for us, to just the one goal. Well done son. Hope he builds on this.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 11:46 AM
1. Matt Suckling will play his best football for us. He possibly IS playing his best footy right now. One of the smartest players on our list.

2. Marcus Bontempelli continues to become more and more rounded as a footballer. Not only getting big possession numbers now, but leading the way defensively.
Best on ground for the 3rd time in 5 weeks. Had our most contested possessions (21), most tackles (9), most score involvements (8), 2nd most pressure acts (22) - and what can't be captured in stats was his clean hands in congestion, and also his selfless running to close down outlets for the eagles.

3. The two blokes in the row behind me really despise Hunter & Macrae. Easy in the grand stand to pot some blokes who run about 20 kilometres and get the footy over 70 times between them.

Mantis
06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
3. The two blokes in the row behind me really despise Hunter & Macrae. Easy in the grand stand to pot some blokes who run about 20 kilometres and get the footy over 70 times between them.

They are the 2 most dividing players in our team.. Whilst their work-rate & ability to find the ball is outrageously good, their inability to use it to advantage is extremely frustrating.

For us to become a better team they really have to start hurting teams with their disposal.

BulldogBelle
06-06-2016, 11:56 AM
1. Dicko doesn't need to kick goals himself to have a good game.
2. Redders pays like a proper full-forward.
3. From watching Footscray VFL Webb is the only good fit player left for inclusion in the AFL side.

Bulldog Joe
06-06-2016, 04:28 PM
1. Our ability to defend the aerial contest is unprecedented
2. The tenacity at the contest sets us apart.
3. Fletcher Roberts can be a player when working within his talent limits.

Bulldog Joe
06-06-2016, 04:30 PM
I cannot agree that he was very good yesterday. He was serviceable and did a couple of good things, but also made some bad mistakes resulting in goals. Just because Kennedy kicked one goal, that wasn't down to Roberts, that was bad delivery into the forward line by WC and our team defense to block Kennedy's leads.

He is improving with every game and at 25 games and aged 23 he has a long way to go and we can cut him some slack.

I think you are being a little harsh on Roberts.
He did his job and managed to limit his opponent/opponents. I thought his bodywork was generally good in the aerial duels. Our team defence helps but he is a cog in that.

Testekill
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
He did his job and managed to limit his opponent/opponents. I thought his bodywork was generally good in the aerial duels. Our team defence helps but he is a cog in that.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Roberts but he was very important in the last ten or so minutes with his attack on the ball.

LostDoggy
06-06-2016, 06:01 PM
1. We brought the little things to the table. Just getting a hand in to deflect the ball or desperately throwing ourselves in between player and ball to stop it getting out.......was all important to stopping WCE from getting free run from the contest. Libba is so good in this regard. Don't know whether we set ourselves for this game, but our energy levels were certainly up compared to our previous 3 games.

2. We seem to be learning to have someone come back around the contest rather than having them all flying for the ball. This was also important in stopping the Eagles getting free run going.

3. Great that we took more time to be more scientific with our forward entries. Seemed to be less blind bombing the previously.
Very quick ball movement in transitioning...bound to make mistakes and get it wrong sometimes.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 06:01 PM

I don't think so. The statement was he was VERY good. I don't believe he was that good, that is why I said serviceable - he did his job.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 06:22 PM
It was the only time this season that Kennedy has had under 10 possessions. It was the first time he has been held to 1 goal since round 2 when Hawthorn thumped them.
And it was the first time in 8 weeks that Lycett has been kept goalless and under 10 possessions.
They took 2 marks inside 50 between them.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 06:28 PM
It was the only time this season that Kennedy has had under 10 possessions. It was the first time he has been held to 1 goal since round 2 when Hawthorn thumped them.
And it was the first time in 8 weeks that Lycett has been kept goalless and under 10 possessions.
They took 2 marks inside 50 between them.

Team defense - Bevo is brilliant.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Team defense - Bevo is brilliant.

Team defence gets the credit when we get the result. But individuals to blame when we don't.
Ok, now I get how this works.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Team defence gets the credit when we get the result. But individuals to blame when we don't.
Ok, now I get how this works.

spot on.

AndrewP6
06-06-2016, 08:20 PM
1. We will miss Mclean if he is out for a long period

3-4 weeks in a moon boot and assessed after that, according to the Dogs' medical team.

Remi Moses
06-06-2016, 09:29 PM
1- The back half is seriously underrated . Roberts has been good the last fortnight, and scrambling defense is an area we've improved significantly .
2- The mids are just outstanding, the work rate and pressure is elite .
3- The set shot goal kicking still remains an issue, and really is inexcusable

jeemak
06-06-2016, 09:30 PM
They are the 2 most dividing players in our team.. Whilst their work-rate & ability to find the ball is outrageously good, their inability to use it to advantage is extremely frustrating.

For us to become a better team they really have to start hurting teams with their disposal.

Macrae's had a couple of poor weeks usage wise, but prior to that he put together team best ball use. As he matures he'll be more consistent and will pick his time to take risks a bit better.

Hunter's a bit the same, though with him I can't tell whether it's inherent lair or careless behaviour.

merantau
06-06-2016, 10:09 PM
3-4 weeks in a moon boot and assessed after that, according to the Dogs' medical team.

Well that's very bad news. I hope whoever comes in grabs the opportunity with both hands. McLean has been very good for us. Who will replace him? Bailey Dale? Lin Jong? The latter gives more flexibilty to the team. Honeychurch? Certainly in the mix.

LostDoggy
07-06-2016, 04:52 PM
3.We never give up.
When I think that our players must be exhausted from the frenetic game style we play,they just keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny.:)

2.Matty Boyd and Dale Morris have gone to another level up from last year.

1.Camhead is becoming one of our major threats to the opposition.

Murphy'sLore
09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Good to see Camhead getting some recognition in today's Age (can't find the article online to link though)

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Didn't know where to put it. Watching the morning footy shows and hearing Betts bantering and trying to patch out Josh Hill last night when he lined up on Betts in defence. Betts was asking Hill, 'I have a (forward) pocket at every ground. Do you have a pocket? Do you?' Nothing back from Josh Hill.

Rather amusing I thought.

hujsh
12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
They played Hill in defence? Did they think it'd be a good matchup because they're both Aboriginal or something? Seriously how does that happen?

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 12:04 PM
They played Hill in defence? Did they think it'd be a good matchup because they're both Aboriginal or something? Seriously how does that happen?

Perhaps & no idea. Unless Hill was an extra man back. Both guys were standing at Adelaides 50m arc.