PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Round 12 2016 - Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

bornadog
11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Looking forward to seeing our young blokes composure whilst watching the replay without the stress.

I didn't tape it because I thought I would jinx the boys:o

bornadog
11-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Who else needs a power nap after that? I feel like I just played the 4 quarters with them.

Me me. Yes totally exhausted.

KT31
11-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Who else needs a power nap after that? I feel like I just played the 4 quarters with them.

Bugger that off to the pub to bask in our glory.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Pun intended?

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 04:52 PM

I'm going to take a chance with the weather and go for a walk. I don't think I could sleep at the moment.

merantau
Re: the Honeychurch goal review. Commentators made some ludicrous comments. Impossible to tell from replay for mine. And the decision was made in a nano second. I really don't get it. But who cares. We won. They lost.
So, hand out the tissues Port supporters. And if you run out, they're on special at your local Foodland

G-Mo77

Yep after watching it from bed all afternoon I might have an early one. :)

GVGjr
No roofs, no worries Hinkley

Eastdog
11-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Nice one GVG

azabob
11-06-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm going to take a chance with the weather and go for a walk. I don't think I could sleep at the moment.

The Sun is shining, the sun is shining... Or that could just be me basking in the afterglow of the dogs win....

bornadog
11-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Gee Ricittuo was flat as a tack in the last quarter:D

Go_Dogs
11-06-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm meant to be going to the game tonight, it's just not going to stack up, is it?

Go_Dogs
11-06-2016, 04:59 PM

I think he was confused that a team could win whilst being so far down in free kicks.

azabob
11-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm meant to be going to the game tonight, it's just not going to stack up, is it?

Its a no lose situation. Should be a good game, but you have the added advantage of being on cloud nine after our win.

G-Mo77
11-06-2016, 05:01 PM

I was more angry listening to that clown rather than the umpiring decisions. He barracked. Couldn't shut up when Port were on top and almost silent when we went on a run. Bias commentary aside he's the worst going around, he can barely put a sentance together and is in the seat making "Special Comments"

josie
11-06-2016, 05:03 PM
How good was that? Right up there with our best wins. Gotta love Daniel and thought Honeychurch was ok too - disposal improved. To win that after Dahl went down so early, brave. Will be some sore boys on both sides. Our pressure is manic and when we are in these tight games I am still as nervous as hell yet more confident than ever before we will prevail. We beat 40k port fans, port fc and the umps today. Bloody great win. Hope Roos play it tough and make the Cats sore. Bring 'Em On - we fear no-one.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Credit needs to go out to Jake and Bont for their second half efforts. They're our really big impact players and each managed to show that after half time when we needed them most.

Roberts had one or two very important touches where he needed sure hands and a cool head. He wasn't magnificent, but he will get some confidence from that game. Morris and Boyd - aside from one or two terrible kicks each - were immense as usual. They provided plenty of support to Roberts and Hamling, and allowed Biggs to get forward with the ball and create by foot.

Power did really well to quell the influence of Hunter and Macrae, neither could be particularly damaging even though they managed to win a fair amount of the football between them. They also managed to keep Suckling mostly ineffective.

Caleb Daniel was just so good with the ball in hand. He'll have one or two moments a game where he's genuinely not competitive due to his height, and that will be a theme throughout his career however, he's too good with the football not be playing well at the highest level.

Liberatore and Wallis, supported by Honey did a lot of great work in the middle and around the half forward line. I was annoyed with Libba's lack of discipline in some tackles, but he plays on the edge in that regard so you can forgive him one or too loose tackling efforts.

I've only just managed to cool down. Once again, I'm really glad my wonderful GF hit up an afternoon shopping rather than being subjected to my histrionics (how much of a cliche is that? Jeemak at home, yelling at a game getting red in the face, whilst his lady is out shopping).

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2016, 05:10 PM
I was more angry listening to that clown rather than the umpiring decisions. He barracked. Couldn't shut up when Port were on top and almost silent when we went on a run. Bias commentary aside he's the worst going around, he can barely put a sentance together and is in the seat making "Special Comments"

The guy is an absolute amateur who should stick to puffing his chest out at Anytime Fitness.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Bevo: We tried something different with Jake on the wing late in the game. He had a big last quarter.

I don't like seeing Stringer play deep, he is better up the ground.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 05:12 PM

The guy is an absolute amateur who should stick to puffing his chest out at Anytime Fitness.

Is it that he doesn't like the Dogs, or is he worried if he doesn't barrack for Port on the telecast he'll get bashed walking the Adelaide streets?

He sounded like a slurring drunk during the telecast.

Rocket Science
11-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Great to see Honeychurch and Williams stepping up. I understand that Hamling probably didn't do too bad - none of their big forwards got off the leash.

Certainly acquitted himself no worse than Roberts did in his first game back, particularly in a high pressure, high stakes contest.

dog town
11-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Huge win in the context of the season and you sense maybe in terms of our overall development and belief as a team. To be able to hang in there when Port had control of the game and to not let them gap us on the scoreboard was a huge effort. It speaks volumes as to how invested the group is and how much they are playing for each other and the coach.

I didn't think Port controlled it for as long as the commentators seemed to think. The first 2/3rds of the 2nd qtr and about 1/2 of the 3rd qtr I thought they dominated.

We played the big moments better than Port and did the right thing more often. I was very impressed with the way we were able to wrestle control of the contested ball numbers and clearances after being completely dominated for periods in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. It was really just guys willing themselves to get hands on the ball that got us back on top. I thought our ruck dominance had a say as the game went on and players got tired. We started hitting it to open space and getting on the end of it. I actually think we really lacked a Stevens type today. Ports mids are all explosive, big bodied guys. Our guys are smart and tough but we were getting bulldozed around the ball a bit for a while there. The Port guys were at the absolute peak in terms of effort so to withstand that and turn it back our way was huge.

We used the ball better than Port in the last qtr too and guys like Daniel, Biggs and Libba making the right decisions had a huge impact. We got the ball to open space more as they tired and couldn't maintain their pressure. Once their pressure dropped slightly we could change direction and release guys more effectively which got our forwards back involved in the game.

Have to say that I still saw a few negatives. In a game of inches (was always going to be) we had some guys make critical errors at really bad times. Some of these guys helped win us the game but still think worth highlighting

Stringer- Dropped an uncontested mark that would have given him a chance to put us 3 goals up. They kicked the next 4. He did some things in the first 3 qtrs that were not at the same intensity as the rest of the team. The last qtr he went up the ground and helped change things but I think we need to be a bit harder on him. The effort in the first 3 qtrs wasn't great. If he is getting beaten he can still tackle, chase and be unconditional at ground level.

Honeychurch- Did a good job but there was a couple of missed tackles that he just can't afford to be missing. As I said game of inches and he had a chance to lock it in our end a few times and missed. Overall pretty happy with his game first up.

Few other things I noted.

Daniel- Can anyone at the game tell me what role he was playing in the 2nd qtr? It seemed like during the period that we couldn't exit our D50 for 15 minutes he barely entered the tv screen. When we got some control back we got it out the far side and he got his hands on it and we kept possession. Incredibly important player when we get trapped in our own end.

Campbell- Needs to be a bit stronger in marking contests sometimes. Coming along ok though.

Roughead- Big game I though. Involved at ground level, clear hit outs, timely marks.

Morris- Up there with Chris Grant as the bravest player back with the flight we have had. Seems like he could play another 3 years. Incredibly lucky to have two absolute professionals like him and Boyd.

Biggs- Made great decisions under the most intense pressure a few times. Thought he was great.

Libba- Hands were instrumental in the last qtr. Willed himself back on top in the midfield battle much like Wallis. A better kick than people give him credit for.

Suckling- Looks like we moved him up the ground in the last to see if he could have a few telling touches. Didn't really work but good for our versatility.

Bont- Few classy touches at the right time. I like that he seems to have a sense of when to impose himself on the game.

Dickson- Return to form has been very important the last few weeks.No coincidence we are starting to connect a bit more up forward.

Macrae- I know Jack gets a bit of criticism but jesus his effort is consistent. Genuinely tough player who always does the hardest thing first.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Macrae- I know Jack gets a bit of criticism but jesus his effort is consistent. Genuinely tough player who always does the hardest thing first.

Was tagged today, but still managed to get his hands on the ball and laid 10 tackles as well.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Was tagged today, but still managed to get his hands on the ball and laid 10 tackles as well.

A team high 10 tackles. I wish he'd just take another bloody shot and get his demons out of his head and be a little cleaner, but he's doing all the hard work which is great to see.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 05:24 PM
I note dog town's comment about Macrae's effort week in and week out, alongside his toughness. I saw Broadbent trying to rough him up at one stage as if Jack's a bit soft, and throwing back to a comment I made after the Melbourne game, because of the way he looks when he has the ball in the open he's perceived that way by the broader football public which is really weird.

SquirrelGrip
11-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Matty Boyd should have gone up to the Fox Footy booth at 3/4 time and had a word with the commentators.

Any chance of a "push red for Bulldogs commentary" in the future? The drivel today was beyond belief.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Matty Boyd should have gone up to the Fox Footy booth at 3/4 time and had a word with the commentators.

Any chance of a "push red for Bulldogs commentary" in the future? The drivel today was beyond belief.

It's probably the thing that aggravates me the most when the umpiring is terrible, you know, commentators who have money on the game barracking and being completely one sided.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:43 PM
If you have an AFL pass or recorded the game, check out Redders tackles with 12 seconds to go. Yes he dropped the mark which would've iced it all together, but when the ball hits the ground he lays what I can only describe as a bone bruising, if not bone breaking mega tackle to then ice the game. It's a thing of beauty.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 05:47 PM
That was a tough game but we prevailed and that is what counts. Had a finals feel to it and you could say it is a great dress rehearsal for the finals. Jack Redpath becoming very handy up forward now. Stringer did a lot of great things later in the game. Picken just never gives up along with Morris. Libba kicked some freakish goals. So happy for Honeychurch - great game back. Sucks that Dahl got injuried but in saying we are doing really well despite those injuries.

It did have a finals feel to it. The only non-finals feel was that Port was playing in it.

Go dogs!

Flamethrower
11-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Ricciuto is totally unprofessional as a commentator - should be terminated from Fox Footy's stable. Keep that home town biased drivel for 5AA.

anfo27
11-06-2016, 05:52 PM
What a win today! Thats our best win for the year. They really put us under pressure, their tackling was great and to walk out of there with 4 points is massive.

Caleb Daniel is just money when he has the ball. To run at 90% efficiency under that heat for a 20 game player just tells you what a special kid we have.

Just great to have kids like the Bont and Stringer really stand up when it counts in a big game and have a huge impact.

Sweet Jesus didn't miss a beat either in his first game for the year.

Hotdog60
11-06-2016, 05:59 PM
A team high 10 tackles. I wish he'd just take another bloody shot and get his demons out of his head and be a little cleaner, but he's doing all the hard work which is great to see.
Macrae could have had a shot was clear enough to fire it in but decides to pivot back away from goal to look inside for a pass. Then ends up loosing possession. It's like his been spooked from having a shot.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Macrae could have had a shot was clear enough to fire it in but decides to pivot back away from goal to look inside for a pass. Then ends up loosing possession. It's like his been spooked from having a shot.

Yep, he got possession running towards goal 50m out today and did what you said. Maybe he needs a sport psychologist because it's his immediate thought and most other AFL players in the same spot would have a shot unless a much, much better option was immediately evident.

Dancin' Douggy
11-06-2016, 06:13 PM
ok, I'm gonna drag the 'lopsided free kick count' corpse out of it's shallow grave, and drag it's stinking carcass through the main street.

23 to 10.

Now, it's not so much the ones they got, it's the ones we didn't get. And Honeychurches denied goal.

but..................WE STILL #$%@$&$%#ing won. So suck on that Adelaide and port Adelaide and Mark Ricciuto.

SonofScray
11-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Ricciuto is totally unprofessional as a commentator - should be terminated from Fox Footy's stable. Keep that home town biased drivel for 5AA.

He made a snide, malicious comment about us "being used to winning the free kick count" before making some factually incorrect comments at half time. The guy is an example of the disgracefully low standards that exist in Australian sports media.

Murphy'sLore
11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Luckily I couldn't hear him most of the time, I was too busy screaming at the Tv or pacing up and down muttering to myself...

hujsh
11-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Yep, he got possession running towards goal 50m out today and did what you said. Maybe he needs a sport psychologist because it's his immediate thought and most other AFL players in the same spot would have a shot unless a much, much better option was immediately evident.
Is that the one where he was on his right foot on the flank at the 50 meter mark? Because no way he'd ever attempt that shot. Has anyone ever seen him kick on his right?

jeemak
11-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Is that the one where he was on his right foot on the flank at the 50 meter mark? Because no way he'd ever attempt that shot. Has anyone ever seen him kick on his right?

I think he had one where he was going to the right of screen and was on the near side, but pulled inboard.

Agreed the one on the right wasn't likely to be a shot at goal.

Hotdog60
11-06-2016, 06:40 PM

That was it, but he still had more time and space to fuff a right foot kick towards goal than to turn into trouble. I wouldn't be on his case if it didn't come off. Weren't they practicing a lot of non preferred at the start of the season.

ledge
11-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Riccuto is closing in on Bruce as the most irritating commentator around , along with the one over in Perth , why do they insist on having ex players call on sides they played for?
Or at least if they are going to have bias commentators don't broadcast them
to Melbourne!
I can renember listening to a call from Perth once and for 15 min they didn't mention an opposition player and if they scored it was massive excitement in the box but if the opposition did it was passed up as an unexpected goal of boring mediocrity.

Throughandthrough
11-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Riccuto is closing in on Bruce as the most irritating commentator around , along with the one over in Perth , why do they insist on having ex players call on sides they played for?
Or at least if they are going to have bias commentators don't broadcast them
to Melbourne!
I can renember listening to a call from Perth once and for 15 min they didn't mention an opposition player and if they scored it was massive excitement in the box but if the opposition did it was passed up as an unexpected goal of boring mediocrity.

Riccutio played for the Crows

jeemak
11-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Haha, which is why it's amazing he's falling over himself to barrack for Port.

dadsgirl16
11-06-2016, 07:09 PM
How many times did they mention Bloody Charlie Dixon..honestly any chance?

LostDoggy
11-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Holy hell my anxiety cannot handle games like that.

BUT WE EFFING WON SO WOOOOOOO!

Sad about Dahl tho, that's gonna hurt us. A lot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Love a win like today. Playing interstate,a hostile stadium, losing a pivotal player early, against a team who has rediscovered their form, copping it badly from the umpires, seemingly up against it all day 9 points down going into the last with the momentum clearly looking like it was with the opposition.

And yet we gritted our teeth, some guys found a way to lift another gear when it seemed unlikely, and we wrested the game just enough at the right point in time to get the chocolates. Thank goodness the siren didn't blow another minute later or it might have been a different result.

josie
11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
If you have an AFL pass or recorded the game, check out Redders tackles with 12 seconds to go. Yes he dropped the mark which would've iced it all together, but when the ball hits the ground he lays what I can only describe as a bone bruising, if not bone breaking mega tackle to then ice the game. It's a thing of beauty.

Well spotted BT. So happy for Big Red. His courage and toughness typifies the Bulldog spirit. All the negative talk about him not being AFL standard really riled me. And how old is he ...as in how long does it normally take a big forward to hit his straps? 25!! This gives me hope TBoyd will make it. He was ok today in VFL and is becoming quite competitive in ruck. Showed a bit of grit too. Sorry for going off topic-a little delirious after big wins today in VFL and AFL.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
How many times did they mention Bloody Charlie Dixon..honestly any chance?

Especially, the sycophantic BS they were on about 'when he finally starts to mark these'. Where was this standard when Lukas Markovich was playing forward us, he wasn't marking the bloody ball either... When Ed Barlow starts to get actual possessions it's going to be scary good!

Sedat
11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Why was Roo being a Port apologist today? Didn't he try and take the entire Port team on at the Ramsgate Hotel a few years ago?

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Well spotted BT. So happy for Big Red. His courage and toughness typifies the Bulldog spirit. All the negative talk about him not being AFL standard really riled me. And how old is he ...as in how long does it normally take a big forward to hit his straps? 25!! This gives me hope TBoyd will make it. He was ok today in VFL and is becoming quite competitive in ruck. Showed a bit of grit too. Sorry for going off topic-a little delirious after big wins today in VFL and AFL.

The day we need to apologise for this is a bad day! Two wins in 5 hours by a combined 10 points with pups doing great things at both levels and Clay BOG on return. Doesn't get much better!! :D

SonofScray
11-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Why was Roo being a Port apologist today? Didn't he try and take the entire Port team on at the Ramsgate Hotel a few years ago?

It was out of spite drawn from the Adelaide game and umpire controversy earlier this year. He is still salty.

ledge
11-06-2016, 09:09 PM

True but you wouldn't know it after his call today

FrediKanoute
11-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Just finished watching the game - was on at half 4 this morning in the UK so I recorded and watched without knowing the result - super impressive performance. Really gritted out the win and held firm. That 2nd quarter hold out was immense! Loved it. We are a quality team and given who was missing we did fantastic.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2016, 10:56 PM
For all you expats, games are uploaded pretty fast these days on youtube.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Holy hell my anxiety cannot handle games like that.

BUT WE EFFING WON SO WOOOOOOO!

Sad about Dahl tho, that's gonna hurt us. A lot.

But it's a strain right? I don't think it's as bad as....please....no....whimper...

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 11:03 PM
But it's a strain right? I don't think it's as bad as....please....no....whimper...

Reported as 3-4 weeks if you believe what we say about our injured players.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 11:11 PM

25% loading for realism. If it's a medial it's likely to be six if I was to bet, especially with the way his joint moved.

KT31
11-06-2016, 11:39 PM

Lately when we list a player as 3-4 weeks they are more likely to miss 7-8.

ledge
12-06-2016, 02:10 AM
Ones a bye if that helps

bornadog
12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
25% loading for realism. If it's a medial it's likely to be six if I was to bet, especially with the way his joint moved.

I think 6-8 weeks. Big blow to the midfield.

Mantis
14-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Since game day I have managed to watch all of a quarter of this game.. The last... Hope to watch the rest tonight or tomorrow.

Just wanted to make a note of Libba's competitive instincts, his 2 tackles in 3 or 4 seconds in the piece of play that results in Bont's goal were brilliant.. He is just a competitive animal and one who you want on our side when it's getting tight.

G-Mo77
14-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Easier to talk about after the game but after watching the replay that passage of play near the end of the game where Ebert marked, played on and kicked a goal just inside 50 was an impressive effort. If it were one of our players I'd be out of my seat, instead my heart sank.

Libba's instinct in from of goal has improved out of site. His goal, which was probably a similar spot as Ebert's was amazing. I think it was the 3rd. He's really getting some good distance via foot nowdays.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Libba's instinct in from of goal has improved out of site. His goal, which was probably a similar spot as Ebert's was amazing. I think it was the 3rd. He's really getting some good distance via foot nowdays.

Seems to be hitting the scoreboard every week, which has gone unnoticed by the media/opposition for now.

jeemak
15-06-2016, 07:33 AM
I thought I saw an article talking up Libba's offensive work last week.

His scoring ability is important, even if slightly down in touches he's more dangerous if he's kicking goals regularly.

soupman
15-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Thinking back to the match I thought there were two really pleasing things:

The start of the last quarter: We came out with a 9 point deficit and eliminated it almost immediately. Port had the lead and momentum and yet we instantly put the game not only back on level terms but in our favour. This is what Hawthorn did to us last time when we held a lead going into the last, and it's a sign of a good side. If we can do this consistently when we are down at 3/4 time it's going to make us very hard to beat in close games.

The end of the last quarter: After the Hawthorn game I was concerned that like previous Bulldog sides our team wasn't built to leave as winners in the close ones. I am really pleased to say that since then against three quality opponents in Adelaide, West Coast and Port we have risen to the occasion and come out on top. It's funny because all three games could have gone either way but it's very encouraging that we have managed to come out ontop in each. These are the best kind of games to win. Especially games like the Port one where we are in a hostile environment in a high intensity clash that will serve as a good experience for finals type games.

Also I managed to go to this weeks game and Adelaide Oval is a fantastic venue, and Ports matchday experience is pretty bloody good. We were lucky it was such a good match and so close as it allowed us to experience the Port crowd in all it's glory without having to concede the win. I've been a defender of Etihad but going to a ground like Adelaide Oval has probably pushed it down a notch or two. Fantastic experience and probably one of the best games I have attended live.

bornadog
15-06-2016, 09:16 AM
I've been a defender of Etihad but going to a ground like Adelaide Oval has probably pushed it down a notch or two. Fantastic experience and probably one of the best games I have attended live.

I have never been to the Adelaide Oval, what makes it such a good venue?

comrade
15-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Everyone raves about the Adelaide Oval experience. No wonder they get 40K+ there every game.

Those at experienced it, what can the Bulldogs do to try and replicate that sort of atmosphere?

soupman
15-06-2016, 12:17 PM
I have never been to the Adelaide Oval, what makes it such a good venue?

Tbf we had a big crowd, a beautiful day and an awesome game so conditions were heavily in it's favour, but like the MCG it's located in nice parkland next to the "city", is big but doesn't feel too huge like a walk around the MCG can feel, it has three main stands that are each unique from eachother, big and atleast the one we were in had as good a view as Etihad provides, and the open end of the ground with the grass mound just opens the whole ground up and lets lots of light come in and makes it feel very different. In terms of viewing the game it offers similar vantage points to the Melbourne stadiums which are decent.

Basically it's interesting to look at and be in, it's modern, it's big but has small features and it's both nicely located and well attended and unlike the Melbourne stadiums at this time of year not freezing.

Everyone raves about the Adelaide Oval experience. No wonder they get 40K+ there every game.

Those at experienced it, what can the Bulldogs do to try and replicate that sort of atmosphere?
Get 40,000 Bulldogs supporters coming to our games.

Port to their credit were very good at pumping the game up. When they run out they make it a real big thing timing it so that as they run out it's to "Not Giving In' by the Rudimentals which is an excellent pump up song, then into their song which is a decent pump song as far as club songs go. This is all with the volume turned up to 11 btw so the stadium is rumbling. Then they do the "Never Tear us Apart" thing which is a condensed 1 minute version of that song that is played just prior to the bounce like our new song is. The entire crowd stands up and holds their scarfs above their heads so it's a sea of black which looks great. The crowd is very vocal throughout the game which helps and they lead into every quarter with a slightly overenthusiastic drummer playing on the big screen.

All the quarter time entertainment is suitably terrible though, there was no dancing dogs but there was a marking contest which basically resembled a really mediocre kick to kick with the appropriate levels of excitement that go with that (none). Port are just good at using a lot of noise leading into each quarter to get a very suggestible crowd going, and unlike clubs like North they don't need to resort to the contrived "Make some noise" crap on the big screen or the trumpets the Gold Coast use.

always right
15-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Pre-game is awesome. The stuff during the breaks is rubbish.

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Quarter time entertainment is a bit OTT but the rest sounds impressive.

SonofScray
15-06-2016, 08:25 PM
When I went, it was a bit lame but I still give them credit for participating in something the fans have decided is meaningful to them, rather than being force fed crap from some marketing guru with a pony tail and Hawaiian shirt.

Ozza
16-06-2016, 10:13 PM
I haven't been there for the footy, but am going to Adelaide v North next Thursday which I'm looking forward to. I'm told that when the footy is on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night in Adelaide that the atmosphere in the city before hand, at the game and then after - is great.

I have been the the Adelaide oval the last 2 years for the test cricket. I think soupaman covered it well in his post - but in summary, walking to the ground through the parklands and then arriving at the ground - you really feel like you are arriving at a cricket ground. Plenty of history, the old scoreboard, standing on the hill with your mates and a beer and plenty of banter amongst all of the groups settling in for the day. Plus despite the historical elements being present and distinctive, it has the modern facilities, and the little helpful touches like the screens built into all of the bay signage around the perimeter of the ground so you don't miss a single ball when you are on the way to food, drink, toilet etc. Great viewing ground also.