PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 13 2016 vs Geelong

Eastdog
10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 13 2016 match against Geelong at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Some more changes no doubt, who else do we have left to promote?

G-Mo77
11-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Hope Adams is ready. We miss him today

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:22 PM
In the mix: Adams, Tom Boyd, Webb

Outs: Hamling, Dahl (is injured, take no risks)

Rocco Jones
11-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Adams for Hamling if he is right. Otherwise we give Hamling another game.

Jong for Dahlhaus.

KT31
11-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Is Smith in the mix for Dahl next week ?

bornadog
11-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Is Smith in the mix for Dahl next week ?

I think he needs a few more VFL games. Jong played well today.

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 05:37 PM
In Adams and Webb
Out Dahlhaus and Williams

I'd leave Hamling in for another week as the Cats can go very tall.

I'd consider Stevens if fit enough

jeemak
11-06-2016, 05:38 PM
I thought Hamling seemed to get better as the game wore on, but he's not going to hold his spot if Adams and Wood are fit (I wasn't sure if the latter is available pre-bye).

Honey did more than cement his spot in the team today, he was excellent and would have almost had the perfect game if his second attempt wasn't touched off the boot.

Hotdog60
11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Adams if fit for Hamling and Webb for Dahlhaus

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:40 PM
With a bye the next week, I'm all for caution on blokes who aren't completely cherry ripe. The extra two weeks off might be excellent management as the season is looking like going 2-4 weeks passed round 23.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2016, 05:41 PM
In Adams and Webb

With Dahl out, if Stevens is ready he needs to play.

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 05:43 PM
With Dahl out, if Stevens is ready he needs to play.

Agreed.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 05:47 PM
In Adams and Webb

I thought Williams was ok today, didn't get beaten too many times.

KT31
11-06-2016, 05:48 PM
3 umpires out and 3 of our own in.:)

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 05:49 PM
I thought Williams was ok today, didn't get beaten too many times.

He wasn't bad but I think Hamling can get better match-ups.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Out: Dahlhaus, Hamling
In: Webb, Adams

Happy for Stevens to come back through the VFL and add another classy user for the crucial game against the Cats.

westbulldog
11-06-2016, 10:31 PM
I thought Williams was good today and I rate him along with Toby McLean as a future star.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 11:49 PM
I think Bevo will bring in Jong for Dahl.

Remi Moses
12-06-2016, 12:50 AM
Jong for Dahl
If Adams is fit he comes in for Hamling ( unlucky )

KT31
12-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Im in the Clay for Dahl camp, I know its early but he was BOG today in the ressies and think of the impact it would have on the playing group.

kruder
12-06-2016, 03:17 AM
I thought Dunkley was well off the pace today particularly with his hands he struggled to get them free and release at most contests.

In Adams Jong Webb

Out Hamling Dunkley Dahl

dukedog
12-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Dang. Clay is a machine. Clay for dalhaus. Not gonna matter where he plays regarding his knee. Hes a contested ball monster. We need someone to keep it off danger who is white hot at the moment

Smads57
12-06-2016, 11:06 AM
After watching Smith play in the VFL I would also be in the camp for playing him next week against the Cats, but I think for this player in particular and his ACL history, the MC will be conservative.

Out: Dahlhaus
In: Webb (playing the same role os Dahl in the VFL)

Adams in for Hamling if he is fit.

1eyedog
12-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Do Woofers think Bevo will tag Danger?

dukedog
12-06-2016, 11:09 AM
After watching Smith play in the VFL I would also be in the camp for playing him next week against the Cats, but I think for this player in particular and his ACL history, the MC will be conservative.

Out: Dahlhaus
In: Webb (playing the same role os Dahl in the VFL)

Adams in for Hamling if he is fit.

I agree. MC wont name him for that reason. Even though I disagree with it. I think wallis or picken need to tag danger.

G-Mo77
12-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Do Woofers think Bevo will tag Danger?

I don't think tag but a more defensive role. Wallis will get him.

bornadog
12-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I don't think tag but a more defensive role. Wallis will get him.

Maybe Jong

F'scary
12-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Perhaps the team for the Geebong match, being the last before the bye and after a succession of stirring, hard fought wins could benefit from a couple of new faces who must be desperate for a chance. Assuming Adams is not available next week:

Out: Dahl (injury), Dunkley (form)

In: Webb, Hamilton.

Rocco Jones
13-06-2016, 01:31 PM
In- Adams, Jong, C.Smith/Webb
Out- Hamling, Dahl (inj.), Dunkley

I really like Dunkley but feel we need to go a bit more short term against the Cats. Would like Webb, only issue I think having a player who can go forward will be better structure wise.

Clay Smith is the best guy available IMO, wondering what medical evidence there is to harm/risk of exposing him to extra speed of AFL. Would not take a risk if said risk is based on logic/evidence rather than just gut feel or whatever.

Rocco Jones
13-06-2016, 01:32 PM
I like Hamilton but my worry is whether he will be a passenger in such a big game.

Remi Moses
13-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Adams for Hamling ( unlucky )
Jong for Dahl
Don't think we'll be bringing in Clay after one game back from an ACL

soupman
13-06-2016, 04:56 PM
I would be reluctant to bring Clay straight back in already not because of his knee but rather because he has played one game in a year.

I'd be looking to get him back up to full match fitness and touch by giving him at least a month in the VFL. After that I'd be all for his selection but I think there needs to be a slightly slower approach considering he has played maybe 8 games in the last three years.

Ghost Dog
13-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Their best on ground V North - Dangerfield, Enright, Selwood, Menzel, Taylor, Bartel
Redpath can be a real weapon for us if he can kick goals as far out as he did V Port and go right over their defensive set up.
Maybe inject some pace and youth into our forward line to use speed against their older players.

bornadog
13-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Maybe inject some pace and youth into our forward line to use speed against their older players.

Any suggestions?

Ghost Dog
13-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Any suggestions?

I think Bevo seemed pleased to see how Biggs went in the forward line. Honeychurch's scoring and defensive game were both good forward.
They will be all over the tape of the Port game. While I would love to see another week of lead, mark, goal, I don't think it will be as easy for Jack this time. Bailey Williams is another I would consider.

Bullies
13-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Im in the Clay for Dahl camp, I know its early but he was BOG today in the ressies and think of the impact it would have on the playing group.

the second game is always the hardest as Clay will pull up sore so they won't pick him this week. Jong will come in to go with Selwood and Dangerfield.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Forwards leading at the man with the ball is great if you can do it. Worked well this week and I wish Stringer and Toyd would do it more often. Our best converters do it, Redpath and Dickson. Coincidence? I don't believe in Coincidence:)
Dunkley, Dahl and Hamling out for Webb, Adams and Jong. Incredibly Clith is going to make it back sooner rather than later but after burning them off in the VFL (he only has an OFF/ON switch) he needs another week or two to consolidate his game sense.

merantau
13-06-2016, 09:33 PM
the second game is always the hardest as Clay will pull up sore so they won't pick him this week. Jong will come in to go with Selwood and Dangerfield.

You are absolutely right about pulling up sore. He needs a few games under his belt. There would be nothing worse than for him to come back too early, blow up and be a liability for the 2nd half or last quarter of a game.

Rocco Jones
13-06-2016, 09:36 PM
You are absolutely right about pulling up sore. He needs a few games under his belt. There would be nothing worse than for him to come back too early, blow up and be a liability for the 2nd half or last quarter of a game.

'Nothing worse than'? It's Clay Smith. Without being bleak, I can think of worse.

1eyedog
14-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Are we planning to do anything about Dangerfield?

bornadog
14-06-2016, 06:16 PM
In: Adams, Jong

Out: Hamling, Dahl

Mantis
14-06-2016, 06:19 PM

What are are options?

chef
14-06-2016, 06:25 PM
What are are options?

Play Daniel on him and hurt Geelong the other way.

Ghost Dog
14-06-2016, 06:34 PM
What are are options?

Well, let's look in the recent history of his career and see who negated him and why.
Exhibit A: Bernie Vince V Crows in 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGg4aW8dL08

Dangerfield has come out and said he would love a hard tag every week if it meant his team would win. But his body language doesn't say so in this game.

It clearly got under his skin. look at him on the bench with his head in his hands. But at the end of the day, Melbourne lost this game. Be mindful of that.

It's possible to get under his skin. I've never seen any of our midfielders do this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxWerobF-g

josie
14-06-2016, 07:54 PM
I think Daniel is too creative on outside to use as a negator/tagger.

Possibly Wallis, Jong or the best negator we have - Picken. I know negators are not Bevo's style however if Dangerfield appears to be running amok I'd be inclined to rotate all 3 (assuming Jong plays) of these players on him throughout match.

Seeing Danger and Selwood go head to head with Bonti and Libba will be fascinating and a real test for us. I reckon we are up to it.

Guthrie and Motlop are mighty dangerous too, wish JJ was ready!! Wonder who will play on these 2 speedsters?

LostDoggy
14-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Adams for Hamling ( unlucky )
Jong for Dahl
Don't think we'll be bringing in Clay after one game back from an ACL

Agree Remi.

I'd love to bring back Clay this week but I think the MC will want him to cool his Jets and then unleash him after the bye against Sydney if he is 100% ready to go.

kruder
14-06-2016, 09:09 PM
In- Adams, Jong, C.Smith/Webb
Out- Hamling, Dahl (inj.), Dunkley

I really like Dunkley but feel we need to go a bit more short term against the Cats. Would like Webb, only issue I think having a player who can go forward will be better structure wise.

Clay Smith is the best guy available IMO, wondering what medical evidence there is to harm/risk of exposing him to extra speed of AFL. Would not take a risk if said risk is based on logic/evidence rather than just gut feel or whatever.

I think he had 2 weeks in the VFL last time before coming in surely they hold him back longer this time?

bulldogtragic
14-06-2016, 09:44 PM
I think Daniel is too creative on outside to use as a negator/tagger.

Possibly Wallis, Jong or the best negator we have - Picken. I know negators are not Bevo's style however if Dangerfield appears to be running amok I'd be inclined to rotate all 3 (assuming Jong plays) of these players on him throughout match.

Seeing Danger and Selwood go head to head with Bonti and Libba will be fascinating and a real test for us. I reckon we are up to it.

Guthrie and Motlop are mighty dangerous too, wish JJ was ready!! Wonder who will play on these 2 speedsters?

Great post Josie. I wonder if the coaches will be like Phil Walsh & Ross Lyon last year letting Fyffe & Dangerfield go head to head all game? Would be a spectators dream.

Motlop could play the role that hurts us the most, the Eddie Betts role. Does Williams have the leg speed to stick with him?

bornadog
14-06-2016, 10:30 PM

Don't let him get the ball. ;)

Remi Moses
15-06-2016, 03:20 AM
Don't let him get the ball. ;)

Dead right . We win the contested ball.
Caddy killed us last year, and I hope we don't forget about him in our plans

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 11:04 AM
The hard thing about tagging/negating Dangerfield is that he is too strong and powerful for most midfielders. He can also be exposed defensively though. A dream match up would be PD vs the Bont. Arguably the games current No.1 and No.2 midfielders going head to head, if it happened I reckon the Bont could do some real damage.

Templeton31
15-06-2016, 11:10 AM
In: Adams Jong Boyd
Out: Dahl Williams Dunkley

Cats have a lot of height in fwd line so Adams in and keeping Hammer in ahead of Bailey Williams (unlucky) makes sense.

T Boyd in is coz I want him in. I don't think that will actually happen but I reckon it would be good - get him more AFL game time and closer to the dominant force he will become and might help with Redders being an influence the whole game rather than falling away a bit after Q1.

Mantis
16-06-2016, 02:33 PM
In: Adams Jong Boyd
Out: Dahl Williams Dunkley

Cats have a lot of height in fwd line so Adams in and keeping Hammer in ahead of Bailey Williams (unlucky) makes sense.

T Boyd in is coz I want him in. I don't think that will actually happen but I reckon it would be good - get him more AFL game time and closer to the dominant force he will become and might help with Redders being an influence the whole game rather than falling away a bit after Q1.

I'm pretty much the same, but have Hamling out instead of Williams.

We really need to make Geelongs tall defenders accountable in the air which I think we can do if Boyd plays.. In past games he has shown that he doesn't get out-marked which will help us be dangerous at ground level.

I guess we need to see if the 3 big guys + Redpath will work against good teams so why not this week?

Templeton31
16-06-2016, 03:54 PM

We really need to make Geelongs tall defenders accountable in the air which I think we can do if Boyd plays.. In past games he has shown that he doesn't get out-marked which will help us be dangerous at ground level.

I guess we need to see if the 3 big guys + Redpath will work against good teams so why not this week?

Yeh that was part of my thinking too. I'm in shock that esteemed member Mantis is in agreement with me. :D ;)

Got my Inside Footy 'newspaper' today.
Tom's stats from last weeks VFL game - 20 disposals (70% efficiency), 6 marks (2 contested), 0 goals 2 behinds.
For comparison from same game:
Big Will 16 disposals (50% efficiency), 6 tackles, 28 hitouts, 1 goal
Mitch Clark 17 disposals (59% efficiency), 1 goal 2behinds
Nathan Vardy (who played mostly ruck) 12 disposals (67% efficiency), 1 goal, 2 contested marks

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 04:33 PM
The hard thing about tagging/negating Dangerfield is that he is too strong and powerful for most midfielders. He can also be exposed defensively though. A dream match up would be PD vs the Bont. Arguably the games current No.1 and No.2 midfielders going head to head, if it happened I reckon the Bont could do some real damage.

So could Dangerfield in a big way.

always right
16-06-2016, 05:30 PM
All I know is I want to see Stringer play high forward where he can create havoc in space and not play deep where he prefers to duck out the back all the time. Redpath can play the traditional full forward role.

Cyberdoggie
16-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Might be worthwhile but at the same time Geelong's tall defenders did the job against Adelaide, GWS and North, all of which have a few tall forward options. I didn't watch the games but how did Carlton and Collingwood get on top of them? was it midfield dominance?

I think if we can move the ball quickly enough in transition then we will win. Contested ball we will kill them, we just have to capitalize on our chances, of which we will have more than them.

Templeton31
16-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Might be worthwhile but at the same time Geelong's tall defenders did the job against Adelaide, GWS and North, all of which have a few tall forward options. I didn't watch the games but how did Carlton and Collingwood get on top of them? was it midfield dominance?

I think if we can move the ball quickly enough in transition then we will win. Contested ball we will kill them, we just have to capitalize on our chances, of which we will have more than them.

I'm defeating my own pro Boyd argument here but I was at game when Giants beat them. Slick ball movement and fast midfielders were the key. Danger didn't get much of it although Selwood did.

Mantis
16-06-2016, 07:37 PM
In - Jong, Adams

Out - Dahlhaus, Hamling

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Jong needs to step up. We need a solid contribution.

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Jong needs to step up. We need a solid contribution.

Yep he needs to have a good game. Adams back is a big inclusion.

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Yep he needs to have a good game. Adams back is a big inclusion.

He's not far off his last chance IMO. You can only come in go out and be best 22-25 players for so long. He needs to translate his excellent VFL form and show us something on par with his Elimination Final form last year or he will be on the outer once the cavalry arrives.

He's versatile and can cut the mustard at this level, he just needs to believe he belongs. Definitely has all the attributes.

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 07:58 PM
He's not far off his last chance IMO. You can only come in go out and be best 22-25 players for so long. He needs to translate his excellent VFL form and show us something on par with his Elimination Final form last year or he will be on the outer once the cavalry arrives.

He's versatile and can cut the mustard at this level, he just needs to believe he belongs. Definitely has all the attributes.

Hopefully he finds some more consistency at the top level.

comrade
16-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Happy to see Adams back. Should have the size to stand Hawkins.

Not sure we can carry Jong and Dunkley in the same team but we shall see.

Remi Moses
16-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Tend to agree Comrade .
Both have great attributes, but their disposal worries me.
Need to perform in this side as well

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Dunkleys hands are actually very good.

kruder
16-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Really surprised that both Dunkley and Williams are in. No letting up on the tuff love with Webb

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Really surprised that both Dunkley and Williams are in. No letting up on the tuff love with Webb

I've heard his been quite good in the VFL like Honeychurch was as well and he was very good last Saturday.

bornadog
16-06-2016, 11:12 PM

Hard to drop players when they are doing well and we are winning.

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 11:36 PM
Hard to drop players when they are doing well and we are winning.

Yep you tend when doing well want to keep consistency in the side.

LostDoggy
17-06-2016, 12:06 AM
If i was the mc then picking Jong would be a final chance ahead of some others.

If he could play a successful negating role on danger that would be a huge win for us. Even just hit him hard an often.

bornadog
17-06-2016, 10:07 AM
If i was the mc then picking Jong would be a final chance ahead of some others.

If he could play a successful negating role on danger that would be a huge win for us. Even just hit him hard an often.

The last few games Jong has started like a house on fire picking up 8 to 10 disposals in the first quarter, then he seems to die out. As Mantis said, when he gets reported it seems to effect his game. We need a four quarter effort from him.

Earlier this year in an article, he said he is trying to model his game on Dangerfield.

Cyberdoggie
17-06-2016, 11:37 AM
The last few games Jong has started like a house on fire picking up 8 to 10 disposals in the first quarter, then he seems to die out. As Mantis said, when he gets reported it seems to effect his game. We need a four quarter effort from him.

Earlier this year in an article, he said he is trying to model his game on Dangerfield.

Yeah I think he's a bit of a introverted type that struggles to find that belief in his head.
Bevo needs to put him in the middle, let him play the role he plays at Footscray.
Playing off the forward line with bursts in the middle isn't his role and is probably the toughest role to play, especially for someone
who is not a natural at the game. Get him involved early and re-inforce that he needs to take the game on. Demand the ball from others and don't be satisfied to just give it to others to do.

Really hope he has a good game this weekend.

Webb is certainly copping the tough love this year, but maybe in the long run this will be a benefit to him. I haven't watched much Footscray this year but I'm guessing they are trying to add more strings to his bow, in particular his contested ball game.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Watched Footscray last week Webbs kicking was off

1eyedog
17-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Menzel highly doubtful didn't train indoors and was aside with Cockatoo etc. (the rehab group).

Source: My Uncle on my wife's side was at Cats training.

bornadog
17-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Bevo has laid it down the line with Jong in his press conference. He has put the pressure on and backing Jong to play well.

Also said, if we need to tag we will.