PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Player in 2008

wimberga
12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Which bulldogs player do you see being the most important to our success next year? Which player is most important to keep fully fit all season?

Hudson is one player that we need to have on the park for as many games as possible. We were killed in the ruck stocks last year, so having a genuine hard-working ruckmen will greatly increase the potency of our midfield and thus, entire team.

Mantis
12-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Cooney - If he has a big year we will too. He has match winning qualities that few of our midfielders do and hopefully he can realise some of his undoubted potential over an entire season.

Go_Dogs
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Griffen, just to be different. Him and Adam must take the game and the team by the scruff of the neck, and pull us in the right direction. I don't want to burden their relatively young shoulders, but if we're going to go places this year, it'll be due to guys like them standing up and leading the way.

GVGjr
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I hate saying this but someone like Willliams could make a big difference. In one season he proved that he can play the game but with another full pre-season we will hopefully see if he can become one of the better players in the competition.

LostDoggy
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Crossy, he needs to improve on his kicking for goal - but a valuable and important player.
Agree with everything alread been said as well.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
If we lose two of Cross West and Boyd we will struggle. Previously i would have said Johnson is still critical but his importance will be shaped by Welsh's ability to be the main target should Johnson have an injury. Hahn will bring something unique to our team, bullish strength

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
There are so many ways to think about it - and I agree with Mantis that Cooney could be it, but Griffen also could become a superstar of the competition and most teams would love players who have that type of upside.

Johnson is crucial because we struggle to kick winning scores, and a revamped ruck combo with Hudson is important.

But for my money Harris is the most difficult guy for us to cover, but then again maybe OShea might surprise me if he was thrown to the wolves.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Minson.

If he can stand up and be counted as a quality player, it'll go a long way to improving our position on the ladder. Hudson is a fine ruckmen and will do wonders, but he needs good backup. Minson has the ability to play an effective role; if he curbs his aggression he can become a leader. He's mobile and uses his strength in the contest. Minson has the ability to bring the smaller players into the game whilst also being capable of pumping up his team mates a bit. Eade has made note of possibly playing Minson up forward too, so there's quite an important role there for Minson should he be up for the challenge.

If Minson was able to kick 15 goals, bring the ball to the ground 7/10 times whilst playing up forward & provide good backup to Hudson, we would be a much better side.

It's a bit of an ask, but I think Minson's up to it as long as he works hard and stays injury free.

Dogs 24/7
12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
It has to be Cooney. he has the most star quality about him. Injury free over the summer will give him the chance to go 100% at the start of the season.

LostDoggy
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Hudson- if he doesnt have a good year we are back to square one

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Hudson- if he doesnt have a good year we are back to square one

I am not trying to argue here Jerry but am interested in why you think Hudson

2 years a go minus Hudson and Darcy we were ok, so what changed in 2007 from your perspective that makes Huddo the man?

The Coon Dog
12-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I am not trying to argue here Jerry but am interested in why you think Hudson

2 years a go minus Hudson and Darcy we were ok, so what changed in 2007 from your perspective that makes Huddo the man?

BR, I'm with jerry here. To me, we have really struggled in the ruck since Darce went down.

Lose the ruck & it's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back. You are at a decided disadvantage from the word go, perhaps even beforehand when all the planning is done.

What I like most about Hudson is the way he scraps & fights for possession after the initial contest. If he can counter the dominance of some of the giants going around & give our mids a decent crack at take aways, it will improve us significantly.

Mofra
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm going to give the nod to Hudson as well. If he helps us win clearances from his tapwork, that is less workload on the midfield group. The way he fights and wins clearances himself will give us a massive boost in one of our weakest areas (clearances).

Having a genuine second tall backman will help too. A Williams or McD. to play CHB will help us no end, as Harris can then spend more time concentrating on beating his man rather than risking goals by running off to help cover mismatches in height.

bornadog
13-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Cooney, an explosive player out of the centre when he is on song. Remember the last quarter against Brisbane in 2005, when we kicked nine goals, Cooney was sensational. Same as his game against Eseendon this year. He needs to be more consistent, shake off the tag, and improve his disposal accuracy.

LostDoggy
13-12-2007, 01:53 PM
The main thing that holds Cooney back is fumbling below his knees. He rarely picks up the ground ball first time. His kicking needs a bit of work aswell, but so does Chris Judd, who i think is the most over rated field kick in the comp

Go_Dogs
13-12-2007, 03:12 PM
The main thing that holds Cooney back is fumbling below his knees. He rarely picks up the ground ball first time. His kicking needs a bit of work aswell, but so does Chris Judd, who i think is the most over rated field kick in the comp

I'm going to have to disagree here. Cooney is pretty clean for mine below the knees, and can swoop at pace through a pack and collect it. His best asset at the moment in the middle besides his speed is his ability in close and low, imo.

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2007, 03:13 PM
BR, I'm with jerry here. To me, we have really struggled in the ruck since Darce went down.

Lose the ruck & it's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back. You are at a decided disadvantage from the word go, perhaps even beforehand when all the planning is done.

What I like most about Hudson is the way he scraps & fights for possession after the initial contest. If he can counter the dominance of some of the giants going around & give our mids a decent crack at take aways, it will improve us significantly.

I thought our ruckwork was ok in 2006 but our clearance work was rubbish, I thought our clearance work improved a little in 2007, although not enough, and our ruckword was largely rubbish.

This is quite a change in thinking to the approach our coaching staff have seemingly viewed the position with over the past 3 years, given that we haven't drafted any developing ruckman to bolster the position.

Judd isn't a classic kick, but he disguises it so well by kicking so many incredible goals, that are almost complete solo efforts, bursting out of a packs etc

LostDoggy
13-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm going to have to disagree here. Cooney is pretty clean for mine below the knees, and can swoop at pace through a pack and collect it. His best asset at the moment in the middle besides his speed is his ability in close and low, imo.

Fair enough Griffen#16 thats your opinion, but he normally paddles the ball along before he picks it up. A habit he has developed because he fumbles. Keep an eye on him next time you watch him play

Mantis
13-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Yeah I agree I think Cooney is pretty clean with his hands. When he does fumble he keeps the ball in front of him allowing him to still be in the play.

LostDoggy
13-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Someone on the verge, who got a game in 2007 but did not really have a huge impact.

I'm talking the likes of Tiller, Doogs, Harbrow or Addison.

If one of them could be in our best week in week out, it will make a huge difference.

wb_age
13-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Even though our backline has taken giant strides with the solid contributions from Morris, Shaggy and the emergence of Williams, Everitt and co. But without Harris back there, we dont have anyone else who can really take oppositions number one/gorilla forwards.
IMO Harris is seriously underrated by many!

Scorlibo
15-12-2007, 01:14 PM
If this were an award I think the nominees would be Johnno, Cooney, Harris, Hudson, Cross and Griffen.

If it was awarded to the player who's loss would be most debilitating to the team then I'd have to say Harris with Johnno a close second.

However, if it went to the player who's success most directly coincides with the success of the team then I'd give it to Cooney with Griffen a close second.

Brian this year not only held opposition full backs to low numbers, he repelled many opposition attacks with his great reading of the play and rebound run. Without him not only our defensive fifty's defensive qualities would be badly hurt, but also our signature attacking rebound.

Johnno is the captain and the loss of the captain is never a good thing. He also provided most of our goals this year, and even though Welsh is aiding Johnno in 2008, Johnno's loss is still a massive one.

Cooney is a matchwinner, but terribly inconsistent. When he has a good game it affects the team in a bigger way than any other player's performance can. If he starts producing great reults on a more regular basis, then the team will benefit greatly.

Griffen is also a matchwinner, and when he gets the ball his confidence with it seems to spread through the entire team. He takes the opposition on in a risky fashion which, if it pays off, can turn the momentum of a game to favour the doggies.

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I think our most important player next year will be Bob Murphy. He is, IMO our best, most valuable player creating on the forward flank and normally when he is firing so are we.

Palace03
15-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I can't split the importance of Hudson and Johnson to our team. Johnno is good for 60 goals next year perhaps with the recruiting of Welsh it takes some pressure of him. Hudson will give us grunt and 1st crack at the footy alot of the time, Hudson's ruckwork will make Cooney a very dangerous player around the stoppages next season.

Dancin' Douggy
15-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Cooney, an explosive player out of the centre when he is on song. Remember the last quarter against Brisbane in 2005, when we kicked nine goals, Cooney was sensational. Same as his game against Eseendon this year. He needs to be more consistent, shake off the tag, and improve his disposal accuracy.

I've watched that quarter many times. Cooney was brilliant. Clearance after clearance.
And who was palming the ball to him over and over again? Minson.

bulldogsman
15-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I think a lot of people are forgetting Mitch Hahn here. He and Griffen can break games open and bring others into the game, they give the team extra confidence. We lost both of them for most of this year and I think this was a big reason why we sucked.

Batman
15-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Brad Johnson continues to be vital but with Welsh in he becomes less essential than previous years (people take Johnno for granted because he is so consistent and never misses. He missed a game last year and it killed us.

And Brian Harris, who is replacing him if he goes down....??

Hudson will also be critical, particularly if Street and Minson have similar years to 07, but at least he has back up.

Harris has no one to replace him....irreplaceable, unlike one of Cross, Cooney, Griffen, West etc...

hujsh
15-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I think Harris' ability to outmark key forwards is important to our team. He was the leading spoiler in the comp in 06 but now he is giving the small forwards less chance. It also means we can attack again quickly instead of working to clear the ball under pressure. Also defenders who get contested marks in the defensive 50 get more points in the Dream Team at Herald Sun which is the most important thing of all (thank you Brian Harris)

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Brad Johnson continues to be vital but with Welsh in he becomes less essential than previous years (people take Johnno for granted because he is so consistent and never misses. He missed a game last year and it killed us.

And Brian Harris, who is replacing him if he goes down....??

Hudson will also be critical, particularly if Street and Minson have similar years to 07, but at least he has back up.

Harris has no one to replace him....irreplaceable, unlike one of Cross, Cooney, Griffen, West etc...

I think if Harris were out for 4 or so weeks we could cope. He missed the first 2 games of last season when we played Geelong who have a very potent forwardline that included Chapman, Ablett x 2, Mooney, Ottens.

If he were to be out for the whole season though i would be very concerned but although he is a great asset to have we could..well not replace him but cover for him for the time being for that short period of time.

wimberga
15-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Borgy, who could you see replacing Harris on the big full forwards? Morris?

Harbrow_hero
15-12-2007, 06:11 PM
If we want to improve then Hudson.Our ruckmen were hopeless tghis year

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Borgy, who could you see replacing Harris on the big full forwards? Morris?

He has done the job in the past even without Williams in support. Like i said, if it were for a short time it wouldnt be a major problem but if it was for the season then we would be in some strife.

LostDoggy
16-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm going to agree with those who said Cooney. A number 1 draft pick that has shown he's capable of blistering performances. If he can do that on a consistent basis it will lift and improve the whole team.

I would be disappointed if our most important players were still the likes of West and Johnno. These guys are heading towards the end of their careers and if the club is to really move into being regular finals contenders we need these younger players to cement their importance alongside the veterans. 2008 will be Cooney's fifth season.

Bulldog Revolution
16-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I think if Harris were out for 4 or so weeks we could cope. He missed the first 2 games of last season when we played Geelong who have a very potent forwardline that included Chapman, Ablett x 2, Mooney, Ottens.

If he were to be out for the whole season though i would be very concerned but although he is a great asset to have we could..well not replace him but cover for him for the time being for that short period of time.

I've been thinking the same thing Borgy

And so on that basis Johnson is the man - we are just so reliant on him to kick goals

wimberga
16-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Cooney probably has the most potential to influence our season, but i think the loss of Harris, Hudson or Cross would hurt us significantly more than losing Cooney.

hujsh
16-12-2007, 03:32 PM

I don't rate N.Ablett yet. Mooney and Ottens didn't have the belief and fitness they had later in the year and G.Ablett was a midfielder. Then there were the duds like Playfair and Gardiner (i know one of them played). Then Adelaide's forwardline carved us up before Harris returned to keep Gehrig quiet for the first time in many games against us.

Bulldog1954
17-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Hudson, having a good first ruck who is very good at the contested ball will make a huge difference. To be a team that challenges though players like Cooney and Griff need to become the star there capable of and Murphy and Hahn need to return to pre-knee sort of form. Continued development of Williams and Everitt could also make a huge difference

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Johnno and Harris equally as important at their respective ends.

LostDoggy
20-12-2007, 12:42 AM
I think Cooney really needs to step up

Show everyone he is worth that #1 Draft Pick we used...something he has not done as of yet, but ive seen those little signs he should be able to become a good player.

BulldogBelle
20-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Johnson very important to the team I would place him as my MIP. Closely followed by Cross & Cooney. I hate it when any one of them is out of the team for a prolonged time.