PDA

View Full Version : Macrae v Wines - Did we make the right decision?

bornadog
12-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Watching the game yesterday I was thinking about these two players. We took Macrae at pick 6 and Wines was taken at pick 7. Did we make the right decision? Personally I think we made the right decision. I think Macrae is under rated by those outside our club.

Here are some career stats:

Player Statistics Comparison

Jackson Macrae (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--jackson-macrae)
Name
Oliver Wines (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--oliver-wines)

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Team
Port Adelaide Power (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-port-adelaide-power)

Midfield
Position
Midfield

Career Games

Oakleigh Chargers
Origin
Bendigo Pioneers

August 3, 1994
Date of Birth
October 7, 1994

21yr 10mth

191cm
Height
187cm

83kg
Weight
92kg

2012 National Draft (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2012&t=N&s=P)
Last Drafted In
2012 National Draft (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2012&t=N&s=P)

Round 1, Pick #6
Last Draft Position
Round 1, Pick #7

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Last Drafted By
Port Adelaide Power (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-port-adelaide-power)

Career
Stats for Season
Career

Games

Kicks Per Game

Handballs Per Game

Disposals Per Game

Marks Per Game

Goals Per Game

Behinds Per Game

Tackles Per Game

Hitouts Per Game

Frees For Per Game

Frees Against Per Game

F'scary
12-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Both clubs would have to be very pleased with their selections. Lots at risk with a top ten pick, a lot don't work out or are average footballers. In this case, both would be around in the first six selected in their respective teams every week and that is pretty good going.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Yep. Wines had the advantage of a strong side and huge momentum as he developed. Macrae has had to slog it out, and even got tagged on the weekend. Macrae was the youngest ever player to get 40+ touches. Macrae also does the hard things well. I think Wines has some development left. I think Macrae has a lot of development left. Both will be considered very good players when they retire. I'm very happy to have Jack, and more so when he irons out his goal kicking phobia.

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 08:30 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either player as both are hard working and tough.

Perhaps there is a bit of a Jarrad Grant connection in potentially separating the players sometime in the future.
I suspect Wines might be the sort of player that would want to kick the goal after the siren more than Macrae might.

It's going to be interesting in watching these guys over their careers but I'd have Jack slightly ahead.

First to the flag wins :)

lemmon
12-06-2016, 09:24 PM
I think Wines is a marginally better footballer purely because of his work in the contest - he was Patrick Cripps before it became cool. Despite that I think Macrae is a better fit for us. We have enough of the hard ball winners, he's vital as the accumlator and link man in our midfield mix

comrade
12-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Macrae started as a skinny, outside accumulator and has transformed his inside ability over the past 2 years. Definitely think we made the right call.

EasternWest
12-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Win win either way, but I've been impressed with how hard/courageous McCrae has become. He looks every bit as outside wingman as you can get but never fails to go when it's his turn.

comrade
12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
If Jack fixed his one-sidedness, he'd be an A-grade jet. Twists himself in knots to get on his left.

Happy for him to just kick on his right every day of the preseason or else face Redpath in a bare knuckle sparring session.

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 10:12 PM
If Jack fixed his one-sidedness, he'd be an A-grade jet. Twists himself in knots to get on his left.

Happy for him to just kick on his right every day of the preseason or else face Redpath in a bare knuckle sparring session.

Just had a Robert Walls flash back :)

comrade
12-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Just had a Robert Walls flash back :)

Whatever it takes :D

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 10:33 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either player as both are hard working and tough.

Perhaps there is a bit of a Jarrad Grant connection in potentially separating the players sometime in the future.
I suspect Wines might be the sort of player that would want to kick the goal after the siren more than Macrae might.

It's going to be interesting in watching these guys over their careers but I'd have Jack slightly ahead.

First to the flag wins :)

Hehe. Very good.

I'm happy with Jack and I'd be just as happy with Wines.

westdog54
12-06-2016, 11:18 PM
We made the right decision.

Had we picked Wines, we would have made the right decision.

They're both guns, pure and simple.

Scorlibo
12-06-2016, 11:28 PM
I think there's still a heap of improvement left in Jack. What we've seen thus far in his career is an incredible ability to transform his game for the better, to the point where he is now one of the most dependable players we have inside the contest. From here with him it will be about getting balance, being able to work hard inside and regain some of his instinct to take the open space when it presents itself. He can also be more damaging around goals than what he's shown this year.

I don't see the same upward trend with Wines - for that reason I'm happy we picked Jack.

Ghost Dog
12-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Once a player is in the tri-strip, I get blinkers. Can't be objective.

Sedat
13-06-2016, 12:10 AM
I reckon Melbourne won because they got Toumpas ;)

boydogs
13-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Wines is leading the AFL for clangers this year

The people who complain about Macrae's disposal would be tearing their hair out if we went the other way

1eyedog
13-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Wines might be a more natural footballer than Jack but Jack is a smarter footballer and is / will be more creative.

Go_Dogs
13-06-2016, 09:40 AM
It's going to be a really interesting comparison for a long time.

Most neutrals would have Wines ahead, because he came onto the scene as a player who could win his own ball and had a strong defensive side to his game.

Macrae has, over his first 3.5 seasons, added those elements to his game.

Wines is the grunt at Port, so I'm not too concerned looking at his clanger numbers or efficiency probably doesn't tell the entire story - if you look at the clearance and contested stats you get a better idea about the role Wines plays for his side.

Who would I take for us? Macrae, he's the type of player we needed, he has a good all round game and will continue to improve.

Who would I take for Port? Wines, he's the inside player they needed, and has proven he'll be a consistent ball winner at the level for a long time. He wins clearances, he tackles hard and compliments their other mids nicely.

LostDoggy
13-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Port obviously really rate Macrae as he had Ebert running with him all day!

Throughandthrough
13-06-2016, 10:20 AM
I reckon Melbourne won because they got Toumpas ;)

...who can't get a game at Port now either. Good Sanfl player but that's his limit.

Throughandthrough
13-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Wines has had an under whelming season this year. But as most people say above, both are great players. I'll give you the answer in ten years.

Topdog
13-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Going off player ratings Wines is 61, Macrae 111

Dancin' Douggy
14-06-2016, 09:27 AM
I like Macrae's head more. So it's Macrae for me.

LostDoggy
14-06-2016, 11:26 AM
With Wines nuggety, powerful build, it's no surprise he made the bigger impression as a teen. As Macrae has gotten stronger and filled out his physique, he has bridged the gap fast. Both are genuine top 10 talent. Macrae was an excellent choice, I wouldn't swap him, but Wines is equally as valuable (although arguably not as valuable to us given team balance).

Doesn't always pan out, but players with the more rangy physique do often end up with longer careers.

Ozza
14-06-2016, 12:11 PM
I think both clubs would be very satisfied with their pick.

Given we had drafted Liberatore and Wallis not too long before - Macrae gave us something different to those players, Wines would have been a very similar type - and at the time we had Griffen & Boyd also playing as genuine inside mids.

Ozza
14-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Also worth noting, that Macrae's career possession average of 25.15 - is the 16th highest in AFL history. Its been a solid output for his first 66 games.

Twodogs
16-06-2016, 09:46 AM
With Wines nuggety, powerful build, it's no surprise he made the bigger impression as a teen. As Macrae has gotten stronger and filled out his physique, he has bridged the gap fast. Both are genuine top 10 talent. Macrae was an excellent choice, I wouldn't swap him, but Wines is equally as valuable (although arguably not as valuable to us given team balance).

Doesn't always pan out, but players with the more rangy physique do often end up with longer careers.

Look at Michael Tuck. 425 senior games and 100 reserves games. He had a similar build to Jack.

Also worth noting, that Macrae's career possession average of 25.15 - is the 16th highest in AFL history. Its been a solid output for his first 66 games.

That's pretty impressive.

macca
19-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Macrae is not even 22 and has played 66 games, it can only get better., elite and superior ! We have found a gem here and looking forward to his next 200 games. The great thing is these kids are now entering the 50-100 game brackets, hopefully their weakness and inconsistencies get ironed out. Ie enright and bartel , rarely a bad game

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2016, 04:15 PM
You can't lose on either one, but if I had my choice between the two I'd be picking Wines.

Remi Moses
19-06-2016, 04:49 PM
We're biased but Wines has stagnated in the last two years.
Macrae has improved, and I think it's reflective of each clubs progress in the last two seasons