PDA

View Full Version : The Neanderthals strike again

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Eddie, Frawley and Bradshaw in a week where we should be celebrating a women's footy league and a white ribbon awareness partnership.

When will these Neanderthals ever learn?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-cant-let-the-misogynist-banter-of-eddie-mcguire-slip-past-20160619-gpmmyk.html

GVGjr
19-06-2016, 06:44 PM
I saw this late last night. You would hope society has come a bit further than this but put a few blokes especially those trying to act all blokey and you never know.

It will be interesting to see the AFL's response.

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Underneath Eddies fake jovial exterior is a seething angry man.

Greystache
19-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Would it have been ok if it was chief football reporter Mark Robinson? Or Damien Barrett?

bulldogtragic
19-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Why I haven't listened to Triple M or their syndicates or watched the footy show for many, many years. I don't understand what the majority of the public like about this garbage, and they do. If they didn't ratings would be down, thus advertising revenue would be down and bosses would do something.

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2016, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Greystache;501933]Would it have been ok if it was chief football reporter Mark Robinson? Or Damien Barrett?[/QUOTE

And yet, strangely enough, it wasn't.

Greystache
19-06-2016, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Greystache;501933]Would it have been ok if it was chief football reporter Mark Robinson? Or Damien Barrett?[/QUOTE

And yet, strangely enough, it wasn't.

Would it have been different though?

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2016, 07:12 PM
I suspect there will be a re-run of the Goodes booing debate.

"Other people get booed and it's no different for a non- aboriginal."

"men joke about dunking each other and it's no different for women."

there is a context in which both these events happen, of racism, of discrimination, of violence, of disrespect, of misogyny. That is why they're different.

I wonder if Eddie or Frawley would have found it just as funny to hear people joking about their wives being held down under water, being called a witch or a black widow spider.

Remi Moses
19-06-2016, 07:35 PM
This is much ado about nothing really . Plenty of people don't like McGuire and in particular Barrett .
Just don't think it's a female thing to be honest .

Topdog
19-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Only really the black widow thing was against women.

Rest of it was just hatred of a journalist and I've heard similar (threatening) of male journalists

LostDoggy
19-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Only really the black widow thing was against women.

Rest of it was just hatred of a journalist and I've heard similar (threatening) of male journalists

Really? When was the last time a male journalist was threatened of being drowned as amusement while the rest of the boys gathered around and chuckled?

whythelongface
20-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Really? When was the last time a male journalist was threatened of being drowned as amusement while the rest of the boys gathered around and chuckled?

Exactly.

These guys can't handle a woman in a 'man's' domain. It just ain't footy.

merantau
20-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Caroline Wilson has been around a long time and has made her way in a pretty cut throat environment. She has a pretty sharp intellect and I get the impression she doesn't suffer fools easily. She has probably made some of these blokes look foolish at times - hence the venom. I listened to the tape and the pack mentality, with Eddie as the ringmaster, sounds really off. I've lost respect for Danny Frawley, for one, as a result of this. I never had much respect for the others involved in the first place. Mc Guire is a big head who gets so far ahead of himself, at times, you couldn't pick him up on the Hubble Telescope. Brayshaw is a boy who's yet to grow up and Wayne should count his lucky stars the boy's club has drawn up the wagons around him because otherwise he was headed down the same alley as Leslie O'Brien Fleetwood-Smith, although courtesy of different substances. If the AFL is fair dinkum about valuing women then they need to do something publically about this tawdry matter.

bornadog
20-06-2016, 10:13 AM
IF (a big IF) there was no domestic violence against women then maybe, just maybe we can have a laugh, but reality is the stats are very damming.

52 women are killed every year in a domestic situation, but did you know over half a million women have reported that they had experienced physical or sexual violence or sexual assault in the past 12 months.

Enough is enough cowards. Eddie and his mates should resign.

Twodogs
20-06-2016, 12:11 PM
IF (a big IF) there was no domestic violence against women then maybe, just maybe we can have a laugh, but reality is the stats are very damming.

52 women are killed every year in a domestic situation, but did you know over half a million women have reported that they had experienced physical or sexual violence or sexual assault in the past 12 months.

Enough is enough cowards. Eddie and his mates should resign.

That's an appalling situation.

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2016, 01:13 PM
God knows I have very little time for Damian Barrett, but his attempt to distance himself from this appalling conversation has done him credit in my eyes.

cinder
20-06-2016, 01:24 PM
God knows I have very little time for Damian Barrett, but his attempt to distance himself from this appalling conversation has done him credit in my eyes.

I thought so too, grudgingly. Unlike James Brayshaw, highlighting what we already knew about him.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I thought so too, grudgingly. Unlike James Brayshaw, highlighting what we already knew about him.

Eddie McGuire is copping it because he's a president. Isn't the James Brayshaw who was in this conversation also an AFL president?

(Yes)

cinder
20-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Eddie McGuire is copping it because he's a president. Isn't the James Brayshaw who was in this conversation also an AFL president?

(Yes)

I think Eddie is copping it because of his other efforts with the Adam Goodes/King Kong comment, demonstrating he hasn't learnt anything. But yeah, you're right.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I think Eddie is copping it because of his other efforts with the Adam Goodes/King Kong comment, demonstrating he hasn't learnt anything. But yeah, you're right.

Is that King Kong comment thing that got swept under the rug with no sanction by the AFL?

azabob
20-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Is that King Kong comment thing that got swept under the rug with no sanction by the AFL?

Yes, but he helped bring the minor who started the whole shabang to justice...:rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Yes, but he helped bring the minor who started the whole shabang to justice...:rolleyes:

We can't rule out that she also started this, and Eddie was really tired and doing other things and accidentally said things which didn't represent his views. I'm sure the AFEL Integrity Unit will conclude something along these lines.

bornadog
20-06-2016, 02:32 PM

History of gaffe's read here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-20/eddie-mcguires-history-of-gaffes/7525802?section=sport)

Needs to resign, not fit to be a public figure let alone Collingwood president.

Rocket Science
20-06-2016, 02:33 PM
A no dickheads policy served the Swans well a little while back.

The AFL might like to begin adopting this approach with regard to club presidents.

Rocket Science
20-06-2016, 02:40 PM
History of gaffe's read here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-20/eddie-mcguires-history-of-gaffes/7525802?section=sport)

What the recalcitrant moron fails to acknowledge is that his mealy-mouthed non apology screams loudly and defiantly that this behaviour actually *IS* ok and that his right to "joke" about this trumps the damage it does to the game, the undermining of the fledgling women's game, poor public (and female) perception of the game's culture which (in some vocal sectors) ranges from blokey to openly misogynist and the broader societal cancer that is violence against women.

On top of the putrid morality on show, he's just as guilty of rank idiocy.

G-Mo77
20-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Just banter BAD. Just banter. :rolleyes:

The sooner this bogan type behavior is stamped out of the AFL the better it will be for it.

F'scary
20-06-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm no fan of Eddie and his gang but I think they went Wilson because she is the most hard hitting journo covering AFL.

G-Mo77
20-06-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm no fan of Eddie and his gang but I think they went Wilson because she is the most hard hitting journo covering AFL.

No one else in the media goes after Barrett. A woman is an easier target.

soupman
20-06-2016, 03:17 PM

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in someone for not disappointing me.

The transcript reads terribly especially for Frawley (one of the only ones involved I don't mind) with his "hold her under" comment. Hardly surprising considering how bogan that station is, their ad they play at the footy is a who's who of bogan dickheads.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Yeah, but in another way, he's a perfect fit!

Throughandthrough
20-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Had the displeasure of accidentally hearing MMM Adelaide's breakfast show this morning. Mark Riccuitto and a bloke named Chris Dittmar

Riccuitto spent the whole time sticking up for his mates, and not once did they admit that they also work for MMM and alongside Frawley/Eddie at FoxFooty

And as for Dittmar, he should probably remain silent on the how to treat women issue.

Everytime he opens his mouth on any topic all he ever does is prove how ignorant he is.

Twodogs
20-06-2016, 05:36 PM
We can't rule out that she also started this, and Eddie was really tired and doing other things and accidentally said things which didn't represent his views. I'm sure the AFEL Integrity Unit will conclude something along these lines.

What happened was Eddie rang Michael Talia's voicemail and dictated his real sincere apology. But because the AFEL are incapable of locating a mobile phone no one will ever hear Eddie's mea culpa and we will be forced to continue thinking he is a mysonaginst dickhead.

Oh well.

Had the displeasure of accidentally hearing MMM Adelaide's breakfast show this morning. Mark Riccuitto and a bloke named Chris Dittmar

Riccuitto spent the whole time sticking up for his mates, and not once did they admit that they also work for MMM and alongside Frawley/Eddie at FoxFooty

And as for Dittmar, he should probably remain silent on the how to treat women issue.

Everytime he opens his mouth on any topic all he ever does is prove how ignorant he is.

Dittmar, Dittmar? Jockey? Squash player maybe.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 05:39 PM
St Kilda have put out a statement about Danny Frawley with a public apology and will sit him down in the week with an apparent view to other action (Frawley is a part time coach at St Kilda).

Haven't seen anything about Brayshaw. Maybe Brad Scott takes his lead from Brayshaw.

GVGjr
20-06-2016, 07:05 PM
A no dickheads policy served the Swans well a little while back.

The AFL might like to begin adopting this approach with regard to club presidents.

I was talking to a mate at work today about this and he mentioned if PG had been in that group he would have instantly known to give it a wide berth rather than to follow Eddie's lead like the others.

I don't doubt that Eddie didn't really mean anything by it but as a leader of a club and a high profile and experienced media person he needs to be a lot better with his choice of words.

Caroline Wilson has been in the media for years and doesn't deserve to be talked about like this. This was a childish payback because she's been at times critical of both Eddie and James and they can't really accept that her views are valid.

The boys need to grow up quickly.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Liked this comment in Theage.

"I must say that the comments made were in very bad taste, however to say they were sexist is drawing an extremely long bow. What is this nonsense about "violence against women" rubbish? We have a violence issue FULL STOP. Male violence against males and male violence against women are equally as bad as each other. There are plenty of one punch thugs that hit other guys in the city. To try and separate the "coward punch" and "violence against women" issues is wrong and counterproductive. It should be a united front against all forms of violence. There are two camps which would do better as a unified movement.
If the comments were made about a male, we would be telling ourselves that he should "man up" and he is a grown up, its just words. When its a female, why must it degrade to sexism? We will never find any kind of equality as the undertone of these sentiments are basically telling us "women are defenseless and should be given special treatment and consideration" which speaks against the feminist equality movement at its core."

The Underdog
20-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Liked this comment in Theage.

"I must say that the comments made were in very bad taste, however to say they were sexist is drawing an extremely long bow. What is this nonsense about "violence against women" rubbish? We have a violence issue FULL STOP. Male violence against males and male violence against women are equally as bad as each other. There are plenty of one punch thugs that hit other guys in the city. To try and separate the "coward punch" and "violence against women" issues is wrong and counterproductive. It should be a united front against all forms of violence. There are two camps which would do better as a unified movement.
If the comments were made about a male, we would be telling ourselves that he should "man up" and he is a grown up, its just words. When its a female, why must it degrade to sexism? We will never find any kind of equality as the undertone of these sentiments are basically telling us "women are defenseless and should be given special treatment and consideration" which speaks against the feminist equality movement at its core."

The reason it is different is that women have a history of being marginalised and violently oppressed even in supposed first world societies such as ours, and that is magnified in an industry like football is historically male dominated. Comments like this help to perpetuate the idea that women don't belong here. And yes, Male on male violence is a problem but to suggest that there's no difference in the reasons behind most violence against women and the violence against other men is disingenuous at best.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2016, 08:36 PM
The reason it is different is that women have a history of being marginalised and violently oppressed even in supposed first world societies such as ours, and that is magnified in an industry like football is historically male dominated. Comments like this help to perpetuate the idea that women don't belong here. And yes, Male on male violence is a problem but to suggest that there's no difference in the reasons behind most violence against women and the violence against other men is disingenuous at best.

Do we really want to do something about violence across all sectors of the community?
Violence builds up like a battery in male circles and explodes in the face of women and kids. To be successful, the message has to drain this battery of life.

The root cause is the same. Stopping violence against women is a worthy campaign, but even better would be a message against male violence full stop on any level.

The AFL will appoint commissioners, and peddle a message to please and appease a section of the community but will continue to internally celebrate and foster these blokey 'tough' attitudes unless the message becomes a wholistic one. May of the guys you see wearing white ribbons, riding the band wagon of the cause, will then turn around and celebrate things on a field you probably shouldn't.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Isn't Danny Green the face of the (no more) Coward Punch campaign? I thought I saw Danny Green & Jake Stringer in a photo together last week about ending drunken and cowardice violence.

The Underdog
20-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Gay men also have a history of being marginalised and violently oppressed. And transexuals. Is an assault on a gay man different to an assault on a woman? The greater part does not mean we should ignore minority cases.

Again, assaults on gay or trans people at their heart prolong a history of exclusion or marginalisation. No one is ignoring male on male one punch assaults, *!*!*!*!, they changed laws to combat it and yes all violence is awful on an equal scale but there are societal differences that historically make some offences different at a basic level. There aren't a lot of people who are targeted as victims for being white straight or male

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Again, assaults on gay or trans people at their heart prolong a history of exclusion or marginalisation. No one is ignoring male on male one punch assaults, *!*!*!*!, they changed laws to combat it and yes all violence is awful on an equal scale but there are societal differences that historically make some offences different at a basic level. There aren't a lot of people who are targeted as victims for being white straight or male

Donald Trump says otherwise. I think a wall could fix this.

The Underdog
20-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Donald Trump says otherwise. I think a wall could fix this.

I'm pretty sure that was to keep out the rapists....

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that was to keep out the rapists....

What about the murderers then?

Ghost Dog
20-06-2016, 09:23 PM

The real problem is violence. In particular violence against children. Eddie McGuire is never going to actually hit his wife, or I doubt it. But the men who will had violent upbringings or grow up in cultures of bullying ( or blokism, as perpetuated by McGuire ) and grow up to have that capacity. To achieve lasting change one has to look at the types of culture that foster domestic violence. If children grew up understanding how damaging violence is in all forms, while being treated decently in safe environments, domestic violence would fall significantly. It's a complex problem. It will not be fixed by targeting the symptom, only the cause.

I really liked the recent campaigns by the TAC that show a child in the back, copying the abusive language of his father in the driver's seat. Hit the nail on the head. That kind of road rage is a form of violence. Kids copy that. They grow up to learn its normal.
What Eddie doesn't understand is there are a bunch of collingwood supporter kids who will probably think he's pretty cool.

Happy Days
20-06-2016, 09:49 PM
The real problem is violence. In particular violence against children. Eddie McGuire is never going to actually hit his wife, or I doubt it. But the men who will had violent upbringings or grow up in cultures of bullying ( or blokism, as perpetuated by McGuire ) and grow up to have that capacity. To achieve lasting change one has to look at the types of culture that foster domestic violence. If children grew up understanding how damaging violence is in all forms, while being treated decently in safe environments, domestic violence would fall significantly. It's a complex problem. It will not be fixed by targeting the symptom, only the cause.

I really liked the recent campaigns by the TAC that show a child in the back, copying the abusive language of his father in the driver's seat. Hit the nail on the head. That kind of road rage is a form of violence. Kids copy that. They grow up to learn its normal.
What Eddie doesn't understand is there are a bunch of collingwood supporter kids who will probably think he's pretty cool.

Hmmm.

I think the problem is more that an issue so obviously disproportionate as sexual or domestic violence can't be discussed without men feeling the need to interject themselves as closer to victimised than of blame.

#notallmen though.

The Underdog
20-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Hmmm.

I think the problem is more that an issue so obviously disproportionate as sexual or domestic violence can't be discussed without men feeling the need to interject themselves as closer to victimised than of blame.

#notallmen though.

Hey I know at least one woman is killed per week by a partner but don't forget about my feelings

Ghost Dog
20-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Hmmm.

#notallmen though.

A complex problem can be accused of being a lot of things, simple enough for others to understand it. But it doesn't change the complexity of it. Marc Lépine. His horrific act ( from where we get White Ribbon day ) cannot easily be separated from his unstable personality, coming from an abusive childhood, and there are two responses to the issue, long game and short game. Neither should be ignored.

Phil Cleary is a good speaker about this stuff, and nobody would claim he himself has suffered greatly as a result of violence against women. I would say he identifies more as being a victim than someone to blame.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Man, the irony just hit me. Eddie started the whole thing by saying he wanted to see CW down the slide into the ice. As he was nominated this year, the rules are that he could have actually and literally just picked her. Obviously he didn't want to pick her, so the premise of the entire rant is actually completely empty.

Sedat
21-06-2016, 12:28 AM
I'm not going to proffer my opinion on this issue, other than to say that Eddie makes far too many gaffes for such an experienced media campaigner. Furthermore, his attempts to say sorry are as incoherent as the Fonz.

The AFL have clearly spoken out against such language and presumably there is no qualification on this stance. Therefore simply remove Collingwood's submission from the AFL Women's league next year and replace them with Geelong or Richmond - Norf and St Kilda obviously in the same boat as Collingwood. Hit Eddie and his club in the hip pocket - that way the AFL can either show how serious they are about this issue or are just paying lip service.

Topdog
21-06-2016, 01:39 AM

If I don't need to have it be specifically about drowning then yes the idiots on triple m often threaten violence against themselves and others especially other journalists.

This is a station that has a nickname meaning dickhead for one of their employees, is that really so hard to believe?

Other than the black widow what is the difference in these 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ueYL3rpot0

S Coast Simon
21-06-2016, 04:10 AM
I got to hear Eddies response in the morning and didn't quite get to the end. I didn't hear an apology though just an explanation that what was said was bad. Anyone else hear him say sorry I would love to know if he did. I noticed the last few times he was in trouble he didn't actually apologise. Wonder if this is to avoid litigation

Hotdog60
21-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Holden look to be revaluating their sponsorship with Collingwood. If they pull out it could be a better message than what ever the AFL dish up.

GVGjr
21-06-2016, 07:57 AM
I got to hear Eddies response in the morning and didn't quite get to the end. I didn't hear an apology though just an explanation that what was said was bad. Anyone else hear him say sorry I would love to know if he did. I noticed the last few times he was in trouble he didn't actually apologise. Wonder if this is to avoid litigation

There was certainly an apology to Caroline Wilson and she has accepted that

SonofScray
21-06-2016, 08:10 AM
I thought Eddie's apology on the CFC website was appropriate.

What is clear though is that he and his pals do not show the public and their position the appropriate amount of respect and have no consideration for real people in the world. They expect everything to bend to their will and opposing views, markets, professionals to wash away with time while they carry on propagating their boy's club system. If these guys were stacked up against trained journalists on a level playing field and had to reapply for positions in the media on merit, very few would get a gig against the likes of Wheatley and Quayle etc.

They live very privileged lives and have quite a lot of opportunities dished up on a silver spoon that they just don't deserve. Eddie might be the only exception given the "boy from Broady done good" narrative but even he has devolved into the Neanderthal boys club.

Ghost Dog
21-06-2016, 11:27 AM

Eddie McGuire has been a good supporter of the Dogs over the years ( Smorgon era anyway ) . People are so eager to get stuck into him but hopefully this helps turn him into an advocate ( could be a very useful person in regards to this issue ).
Despite being a buffoon, during the ice bath, each sponsor on his jacket was worth 10k. He doesn't strike me as being unreasonable, just a bit of a twat, but he has an up side. The AFL sent Dippa up North to get a handle on Aboriginal Australia after his gaffe, and he has since done some good. Why not send Eddie to a refuge or a centre for domestic violence? He could lead mainstream Australia into this issue.

In regards to ignoring minority statistics, they should send Eddie up north AND to a refuge. 20% of indigenous women experience assaults in a year, compared to 7% of non-Indigenous women.

Neanderthal behavior in Cricket a case in point. It's really gone up a notch since the days of Bradman. Maybe a day will come when being a lad becomes uncool in the media. Rex Hunt, BT thanks guys

Murphy'sLore
21-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Interesting discussion.

I think GD is right to argue that the problems of violence against women and violence in general are related. Ultimately it all comes back to a culture of masculinity (and let's face it, the perpetrators are overwhelmingly, though not exclusively, male) which depends on belittling, mocking, diminishing or physically harming others to make the perpetrator feel strong and powerful. This is the psychology and the culture which has to change, but it's a big, complicated problem with many layers.

Calling influential, highly visible figures like Eddie to account is a necessary step in the process.

Scraggers
21-06-2016, 12:34 PM
When I initially heard the "banter" I didn't think it was sexist or misogynistic. I did think they were ganging up on Wilson without the right of reply. The only person/people who truly know if the intention was to repress is McGuire et al. If he suggested Wilson for the slide because she is a female then he should not be allowed to hold office of any sort. If he suggested Wilson for the slide because she is constantly giving the Collingwood footy club a bad rap and was treating her like a journalist and not a female journalist then enough has been said. Bottom line; he should have thought before he spoke ... but this is true of a number of people in the media and public office.

S Coast Simon
22-06-2016, 01:32 AM
There was certainly an apology to Caroline Wilson and she has accepted that
Thanks mate. I did hear he issued a proper apology later on Monday night.

Remi Moses
22-06-2016, 02:28 AM
Apparently Richmond have boycotted Triple M
Just like they've boycotted the eight;)
Bit of light hearted stuff from Sergio Paradise on Twitter

EasternWest
22-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Apparently Richmond have boycotted Triple M
Just like they've boycotted the eight;)
Bit of light hearted stuff from Sergio Paradise on Twitter

Good to see them take a stance when there's nothing at stake for them.

Of course, when one of their own threatens to stab a woman with chopsticks....

Wankers.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-06-2016, 01:33 PM
You can tell a coward, bully because they attack their victim when they're easy prey. Eddie could have attacked Caroline on equal terms, i.e. on logic or knowledge grounds but he chose the idea of physical dominance of the cowardly, violent and fatal type, holding a woman's head under water. This guy has charmed people and many women so he may be deluded that his attitude to women is OK. This disgrace may help him realise that his crocodilian idiocy needs addressing and is guilty. Women are eternally victimised by men's crocodilian nature. Women of course are also abusive of men and this needs to be acknowledged. People can be cowardly when they sense weakness but they can also be very supportive. Eddie should get out of football's public eye he is a disgrace. He is good on the quiz show if you overlook his smugness.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Holden look to be revaluating their sponsorship with Collingwood. If they pull out it could be a better message than what ever the AFL dish up.

Hope Holden aren't just using the situation to gain free positive publicity and that they just issue a warning.
However their action is what is needed and I'm proud of this forum and this society for addressing the issue. More vigilance on this issue will wake men up and women too about bullying, intimidation and violence.

Dancin' Douggy
24-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Wow. Sam Newman is really sick. A really sick minded individual.

And the worst thing is the audience full of complete airheads (many women included) cheering him on.

Channel 9 are a disgrace.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-06-2016, 02:32 PM
How the week that was took me back to North Melbourne's dark chicken BID54 s Bolding

Samantha Lane
Published: June 25, 2016 - 9:26PM

No one would want it replayed, but the AFL furore that made national news all week caused me to revisit, and wonder, how a front page story from a footy season seven years ago would have gone down today.

The themes were uncannily similar: women, men, violence and AFL football. The power of imagery. The power – and the risk - of protest.

This 2009 story didn't involve two AFL club presidents. Rather, it led to the entire North Melbourne playing list assembling publicly to say sorry.

When I first saw the amateur, four-minute video originally made for the in-house entertainment of those North players and their coaches of the day, I was shocked and sickened.

It was graphic, sexist, violent and topped off with a "move bitch, get out the way" rap soundtrack.

The film's central protagonist was a rubber rooster, Boris, whose adventures began when he literally put his pecker in a bird – depicted by a raw chicken carcass - in a supermarket. It featured condoms, intact and broken, and a mock sex scene on a pub toilet lid, no less.

The crescendo scenes started in the offices of North Melbourne's Arden Street headquarters and concluded in a car park where Boris, no longer enamoured but angry, pecked madly at his chick in a stand up fight.

After slamming the chicken against a wall, then on the ground, he jumped into a van and ran the battered body over. In the final scene Boris inspected the by now split-in-two carcass and his final act was putting his beak back inside it.

I'd been at The Age covering AFL footy for four years when I reported on the existence of this video and its source. I was 29 and still learning the intricacies of the real lay of the land in the game.

There was no doubt in my mind it was a story but I could not have predicted the consequences of writing it.

This included, variously: isolation from a footy club, as good as radio silence from AFL headquarters, piles of correspondence split between encouraging and outraged, and a written threat of physical harm to me personally that The Age insisted be put in the hands of Victoria Police.

Upon seeing the film (uploaded to YouTube, so freely available for those who knew it existed), the first thing I did was have a copy made.

By the time North Melbourne responded to me directly, the video had vanished from the net, which was unsurprising.

I'll never forget the first assessment of the video relayed to me by the AFL. A league spokesman of the day described it to me as "ridiculous".

In the first report I quoted the AFL's then corporate affairs boss, Brian Walsh. "Infantile and inappropriate" were the words he put to print.

Phil Cleary was also quoted in that story. He termed the video "disgracefully misogynist".

That week North Melbourne president James Brayshaw co-hosted Channel Nine's The Footy Show, as he did this past Wednesday night.

On April 8, 2009, Brayshaw and Garry Lyon opened the program with a summary of a story "revolving around a rubber rooster and a frozen chicken". They were Lyon's words, delivered with straight face and in entirely somber tone. The studio audience's response was to burst into loud laughter.

The same night, former North Melbourne captain Adam Simpson - then still playing - and his teammate Daniel Pratt told The Footy Show they were the most senior players involved in the film making.

Simpson and Pratt were each fined $5000. Other players were also reportedly fined but never identified. North's playing group donated $10,000 to an anti-domestic violence and sexual abuse charity and the club committed to long term education programs.

Behind the scenes I was isolated from this club. That's nothing new for a journalist reporting an inconvenient truth, but in this case North Melbourne had acknowledged a wrong.

How isolated?

Here's one blatant example, because others were much more nuanced: it was noted that year by producers of Channel Ten's now defunct Before the Game (I was a panelist on the show), that we'd scarcely had a North Melbourne guest that year. So they invited one. The message from the club came back that the player – I can't remember who was proposed – would only sit at the desk if I was removed from the desk for those segments. Thankfully our panel and producers make a group decision to decline North's offer.

Save for the time of the original events unfolding, I've never had a conversation with Simpson, now West Coast's coach, about the episode.

Mid-interview, he dropped me like a hot potato on ABC radio one Sunday when wounds must have still felt sore. In our respective professional capacities however, I'd describe our few interactions as nothing but professional. I hold no grudge.

Pratt actually produced what I'd regarded privately - until writing this - among the most impressive off-field acts I've experienced in footy. At an AFL function years ago he made it his business to seek me out. Pratt extended a hand and expressed sincere regret for his part in the ordeal.

If that video had been unearthed this week I'd like to think a number of key AFL and club figures, even broadcasters and scribes who were cynical about the seriousness of the film's content, would respond differently.

In footy that cynicism was expressed privately more than publicly.

I'd like to think times have changed for the better.

* Samantha Lane won a Quill award from the Melbourne Press Club in 2010 for her reporting on the North Melbourne video

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-the-week-that-was-took-me-back-to-north-melbournes-dark-chicken-day-20160625-gprsfx.html

BornInDroopSt'54
26-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Sorry, duplicate post.