PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 16 2016 vs Richmond

Eastdog
24-06-2016, 01:13 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 16 2016 match against Richmond at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 08:12 PM
5 changes worked well for us, can we drop anyone?

bulldogtragic
02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
5 changes worked well for us, can we drop anyone?

Perhaps Stevens for Webb.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Perhaps Stevens for Webb.

There might be a couple of changes most weeks if injured players are returning. Stevens is almost a must 'in'

hujsh
02-07-2016, 08:22 PM
I thought Dickson and Sucking were poor (Suckings disposal has been awful the last 3 matches) as was Redpath. Not sure if I'd necessarily drop them though.

The Underdog
02-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Boyd for Redpath. Jacks had a pretty poor few weeks

The Underdog
02-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Boyd for Redpath. Jacks had a pretty poor few weeks

Sorry that should read, "Boyd for Redpath?" Boyd is possibly a better match up for Rance. Rance has him for pace but Boyd provides a better aerial contest.

F'scary
02-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Dickson and Redpath seem to be very out of form. Tom Boyd and Honeychurch in. Will wait to see replay before judging other's games.

boydogs
02-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Out: Redpath, Webb
In: Boyd, Stevens

bulldogtragic
02-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Richmond got shown up badly by Port Adelaide going with such a tall forwardline of Riewoldt, Griffiths & Vickery. We've got a better rebounding defence too, so I wonder if they will go smaller up forward this week. I think we have a close look at clamping Dusty too as far as tactics go.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-07-2016, 10:08 PM
In Stevens and Tom Boyd
Out Dickson and Minson.
Dickson has been poor for most of the year. I thought Will Minson offered very little today and Tom Boyd offers a lot more up forward and be a back up to Roughead who was very good today, as a second string ruck man. Redpath was poor today but should be retained. The smaller ground did limit his capacity to lead which is his greatest asset.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 10:16 PM
If Fletcher Roberts made the mistakes Adams did tonight (positioning and use) there'd almost be a lynching. My view however, is we give him an opportunity to atone for what was a troublesome game.

It will be interesting to see how Clay pulls up. I'd reckon he's feeling a lot worse this week than he did the week before. Hopefully he's feeling OK, he was a beast a few times today.

Webb looked like he struggled to adjust to the pace at times, other times he looked really good.

I'd be inclined to Stevens in, probably for Webb. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyd come in for Redpath.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 10:18 PM
In Stevens and Tom Boyd
Out Dickson and Minson.
Dickson has been poor for most of the year. I thought Will Minson offered very little today and Tom Boyd offers a lot more up forward and be a back up to Roughead who was very good today, as a second string ruck man. Redpath was poor today but should be retained. The smaller ground did limit his capacity to lead which is his greatest asset.

Leading at the SCG isn't that hard to do, providing your team plays there all the time and knows how to use the space wide and switch well. Which ours doesn't. I mentioned in the game day thread Redpath barely being sighted in the first half was largely due to this.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-07-2016, 10:29 PM
If Fletcher Roberts made the mistakes Adams did tonight (positioning and use) there'd almost be a lynching. My view however, is we give him an opportunity to atone for what was a troublesome game.

It will be interesting to see how Clay pulls up. I'd reckon he's feeling a lot worse this week than he did the week before. Hopefully he's feeling OK, he was a beast a few times today.

Webb looked like he struggled to adjust to the pace at times, other times he looked really good.

I'd be inclined to Stevens in, probably for Webb. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyd come in for Redpath.

I thought the MC erred in playing Adams who was clearly outclassed on Franklin. Morris would have been a far better option.

The Underdog
02-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I thought the MC erred in playing Adams who was clearly outclassed on Franklin. Morris would have been a far better option.

I don't think anyone was beating Franklin, not Dale, especially not Fletch. He's just a better player. If he could mark in his hands he'd be unstoppable. Adams was poor but he was on a hiding to nothing.

Ozza
02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
I don't think anyone was beating Franklin, not Dale, especially not Fletch. He's just a better player. If he could mark in his hands he'd be unstoppable. Adams was poor but he was on a hiding to nothing.

Agree with this. Anyone on Franklin might have been the same result - but it freed up Morris to completely blanket Heeney and whoever else was unlucky to have Dale stand them during the game.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Apparently Tom Boyd's even further away according to Lingy and Richo, given our magnificent win and Tom Boyd's poor form versus Redpath's.

Richo reckons the last six or seven weeks have proved Red is the better option too..........Wasn't our game two weeks ago the Saturday night game at which he and Lingy were covering? If he had have watched this week before commenting, he'd know Red's had two bad weeks in a row - admittedly after a few good weeks beforehand.

Tom's kicked seven in two weeks at VFL level coming back from an extended injury break. His VFL form in the last two weeks is better than Red's was before he came into the side. They're neck and neck for selection next week, providing Boyd's allowed to play.

bulldogtragic
02-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Apparently Tom Boyd's even further away according to Lingy and Richo, given our magnificent win and Tom Boyd's poor form versus Redpath's.

Richo reckons the last six or seven weeks have proved Red is the better option too..........Wasn't our game two weeks ago the Saturday night game at which he and Lingy were covering? If he had have watched this week before commenting, he'd know Red's had two bad weeks in a row - admittedly after a few good weeks beforehand.

Tom's kicked seven in two weeks at VFL level coming back from an extended injury break. His VFL form in the last two weeks is better than Red's was before he came into the side. They're neck and neck for selection next week, providing Boyd's allowed to play.

'Special' comments... What do they do during the week? Do any of them do any research? It seems like when a camera or microphone is turned on they start talking irrespective of fact or reason.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2016, 11:33 PM
For me no change. All players deserve another chance.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 11:36 PM
'Special' comments... What do they do during the week? Do any of them do any research? It seems like when a camera or microphone is turned on they start talking irrespective of fact or reason.

It's actually a bit more nuanced than that, by my suspicion.

I honestly think they have some talking points on each topic that's raised, generate consensus (unless they're Duck, because he's the best and he's the only one that can diverge from the pack, because he's also the best mate's wife shagging bestest bloke in the world) based on populist thought and just run with it.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 11:40 PM
I'd have to have Suckling in the mix to be dropped. He went missing when it counted and made so poor decisions throughout the game

ledge
02-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Stevens might come in for Webb.
Can't see Bevo not bringing him in after his game today.
Do we think Minson will keep his spot ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2016, 11:46 PM
I'd have to have Suckling in the mix to be dropped. He went missing when it counted and made so poor decisions throughout the game

Whilst I agree with your assessment of his game, I'm not sure he would seriously be in the frame to be dropped. We knew when we picked him up we'd have to be prepared to take the ridiculous along with the sublime. Yep he was poor tonight, but in a back half, let alone a team, not overly flushed with supreme kicks of the football, Suckling is a must pick for mine.

westbulldog
02-07-2016, 11:47 PM
In Stevens Out Webb

Ozza
02-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Whilst I agree with your assessment of his game, I'm not sure he would seriously be in the frame to be dropped. We knew when we picked him up we'd have to be prepared to take the ridiculous along with the sublime. Yep he was poor tonight, but in a back half, let alone a team, not overly flushed with supreme kicks of the football, Suckling is a must pick for mine.

Yep good post. Suckling has been excellent for most of the season and has had 2 or 3 bad ones. Can't see him being dropped, and can see him being important again next week.

Danger game next week, given that this week was such a fierce contest (like the Port game). Particularly with having so many 1st up from spells. I'd expect at least one of JJ, Smith, Wood to be flat next week - 2nd up can be tough.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 11:49 PM

He's a little bit aloof. Sometimes he defends well, sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he kicks well and a lot of the time he doesn't, and through that sometimes he kicks brilliantly and breaks the game open with it.

The way he plays is baffling, and I can see how he'd start the game in the GF as a sub in 2015. Just unlikely to be consistent.

I'm happy to leave him in because I want to see he and JJ form some offensive chemistry together, but he's on borrowed time if this is his standard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Stevens might come in for Webb.
Can't see Bevo not bringing him in after his game today.
Do we think Minson will keep his spot ?

Stevens definitely in for Webb, he was the only one of the inclusions this week who had more in the negative side of the ledger than positive. Still bullish on his long term prospects, but Stevens clearly is ahead of him when fit, conditioned and displaying form.
Will did all that was asked tonight. Keeps his spot. I'd love to see Will keep up the form, and perhaps have a chance of getting his card unstamped. Would be a hell of a story should Will be able to reinvent his career at this point.

hujsh
03-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Only way Will is dropped is if it's for Boyd. Didn't sound like Campbell did much to demand a recall today.

Though his 50cm handball to Webb (I think) to put him under pressure in the middle of the ground had him out of my team until he iced that goal.

comrade
03-07-2016, 01:07 AM
IN Stevens
OUT Jong

Jong's positioning and ball handling was frightening at times. Just too much of a liability.

I'd also have Dickson very close. Minno didn't exactly take his chance with both hands but not sure TC did enough to push.

Who knows with Boyd so he's not in the mix.

LostDoggy
03-07-2016, 02:17 AM
Suckling isn't getting dropped. Was one of our best against the Cats and just had an off day today.

Ins - Boyd and Stevens
Outs - Minson and Webb

Minson was ok but Boyd is needed to provide a contest up forward. He will offer us much more around the ground and be as effective as Will in the ruck.

Webb stiff but Stevens has to come in.

hujsh
03-07-2016, 02:33 AM
Suckling isn't getting dropped. Was one of our best against the Cats and just had an off day today.

Ins - Boyd and Stevens
Outs - Minson and Webb

Minson was ok but Boyd is needed to provide a contest up forward. He will offer us much more around the ground and be as effective as Will in the ruck.

Webb stiff but Stevens has to come in.
Just occurred to me that any comments I'd made about previous performance completely excluded the Geelong game. Must have repressed it.

Remi Moses
03-07-2016, 02:49 AM
After about the 10,000 crap election quip I switched off.
In Boyd ( surely the suspension is up) Stevens
Out Redpath Webb

Rocco Jones
03-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Ins and outs might depend on what message we want to send/reward for the team performance.

Stevens for Webb. Harsh on Webb. Jong the other option but rate contested positions, he had 10. I also think Dickson's lack of physicality stood out like a sore thumb considering how hard everyone else went. We just need his type and he has a few credits in the bank.

Tom Boyd for Minson. If Tom is to come in, I think it needs to be as a 2nd ruck (Beveridge has confirmed this). Would be harsh on Will but I think him/Roughy/TC are all 1st ruck types, Roughy maybe a bit more flexible. I would be more than happy if the club kept in Will and made Tom really smash the door down to send a message though.

Bullies
03-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Watching Will live tonight at the ground he really struggled over the ground to make contests. He does not have a spring at the centre bounces and never looked like it going forward.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Watching Will live tonight at the ground he really struggled over the ground to make contests. He does not have a spring at the centre bounces and never looked like it going forward.

On a positive note he did get the most hit outs, 24, and kicked an important goal.

kruder
03-07-2016, 10:35 AM

We finally get all our defenders back and you want to drop Suckling? Surely we want to see some contunuity in our back end with Wood and JJ finally returning.

Templeton31
03-07-2016, 10:59 AM
In: Boyd
Out: Dickson

Tory is out of touch. So many dropped marks that were important. Go back to VFL and get his touch back and play Jack and Tom together. The time has come.

GVGjr
03-07-2016, 11:20 AM
We finally get all our defenders back and you want to drop Suckling? Surely we want to see some contunuity in our back end with Wood and JJ finally returning.

I didn't quite say that. I said he was in the mix and I believe he should be because it was a very poor effort last night.
The fact that we got 2 defenders back probably means that Suckling will be moved further up the ground which should suit him.

He's a great kick but that can come apart when he is pressured and while his kicking skill is something we don't have an abundance off on our list there is still a significant gap between his best and worst performances.

He won't be dropped but I hope the selectors have an expectation that he needs to perform more consistently.

GVGjr
03-07-2016, 11:22 AM

Tory is out of touch. So many dropped marks that were important. Go back to VFL and get his touch back and play Jack and Tom together. The time has come.

I'd be concerned having T.Boyd, Redpath and one of the ruckman up forward but Dickson needs to be considered as having a week or two at Footscray.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2016, 11:23 AM
I didn't quite say that. I said he was in the mix and I believe he should be because it was a very poor effort last night.
The fact that we got 2 defender back probably means that Suckling will be moved further up the ground which should suit him.

He's a great kick but that can come apart when he is pressured and while his kicking skill is something we don't have an abundance off on our list there is still a significant gap between his best and worst performances.

He won't be dropped but I hope the selectors have an expectation that he needs to perform more consistently.

With our horrendous forward 50 entries I hope Suckling is moved up the ground and helps hitting up forward targets. Hopefully our leading patterns improve for him to hit them up.

bornadog
03-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Does anyone else think that Suckling doesn't like a physical contest?

Anyway, he was very poor last night, but I doubt he will be dropped. I agree Dickson needs to be looked at, although his pressure on the ball carrier is very good, but overall he wasn't very damaging.

GVGjr
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Anyway, he was very poor last night, but I doubt he will be dropped. I agree Dickson needs to be looked at, although his pressure on the ball carrier is very good, but overall he wasn't very damaging.

Some Hawks mates have always been very critical of him and the reference to physical contests is the first thing they remind me of plus they believe he often goes missing in big games.

My view is that he tries to do the spectacular kick too often but more importantly his concentration isn't great.

He's an experienced player and we should expect more from him.

Remi Moses
03-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I think in this sport at this level it doesn't matter if you like a physical contact , you're going to get it regardless

1eyedog
03-07-2016, 11:51 AM

I think its pretty well known. He mentioned in an interview I saw a few months ago that he was working harder on his inside game. It's something that both he and Bevo would have been well aware of during their time at the Hawks. I think there is a willingness to get involved that may not have been there in the past, which is a first step I suppose, but how he actions that is the next big lesson.

He has a heap of terrific inside players around him to help.

F'scary
03-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Redpath just had his second very ineffectual game in a row but I'd be willing to see how the Boyd / Redpath combo goes. Our lack of marking power on the forward line last two matches is a real concern.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Surely Tom Boyd's shoulder has settled if it is going to. With him at least providing another target, Stringer, Dickson and Clay Smith will benefit and feed off the ball being brought to ground near to goal.
In: Tom Boyd, Koby Stevens
Out: Webb, the Titan.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2016, 02:09 PM
A few posters talking about dropping Redpath. Beveridge has mentioned he seems him as a permanent forward and if Boyd is going to come in, it will be as a 2nd ruck/forward which I agree with.

Tom Boyd clearly looks our best 2nd ruck option. All about the message Beveridge wants to send. As long as everything is all good internally, I think the sooner we get Tom Boyd back in, the better.

SlimPickens
03-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Out: Minson- the game is too quick for him now.
Webb- team balance
In: Boyd- deserves to be selected, has been in very good form as a forward ruck
Roberts- think we need another tall spoiling defender against the Tigers.

Happy Days
03-07-2016, 04:12 PM
In: Boyd, Stevens

Out: Dickson, Redpath

I like Dickson but man he was horrible. I don't like Redpath so that was far easier. From what I saw yesterday if Boyd plays it needs to be as a full time forward. Minson lucky.

kruder
03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Some Hawks mates have always been very critical of him and the reference to physical contests is the first thing they remind me of plus they believe he often goes missing in big games.

My view is that he tries to do the spectacular kick too often but more importantly his concentration isn't great.

He's an experienced player and we should expect more from him.

He was average last night but has been good this year. Every time he has a bad one he is going to be under the gun? Seems like a preconceived motion for mine.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Minson vs Maric perhaps. If Campbell didn't earn a recall, there's worse ruckman to be facing with regard to Will.

LostDoggy
03-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Stevens for a Jong upgrade.
Boyd in for Jack.

Jack could come back in for Minson in another week or two.
Tory on thin ice

westbulldog
03-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep good post. Suckling has been excellent for most of the season and has had 2 or 3 bad ones. Can't see him being dropped, and can see him being important again next week.

Danger game next week, given that this week was such a fierce contest (like the Port game). Particularly with having so many 1st up from spells. I'd expect at least one of JJ, Smith, Wood to be flat next week - 2nd up can be tough.

Good point, although some on here unrealistically think we should come up 110% week after week, refer their comments after our Geelong loss. To take that further those same people would have 1. jumped off Geelong after their defeat by St Kilda and 2. Jumped off St Kilda after their loss to the Gold Coast.

Bullies
03-07-2016, 09:27 PM

the club and most other people knew what they were getting with Suckling. He is not a hard at it player but was picked up because of his disposal. He played a lot of time with the Hawks as a sub and an impact player. He will have games where he looks ordinary.

Ozza
03-07-2016, 11:55 PM
It's an ordinary week for Tom Boyd to come back into the side. Chances are, if he's picked, then Rance will pick him up - which means he won't get a kick when forward. I'm not sure if that is reason enough NOT to pick him - but not ideal after so long out to run into arguably the leagues best tall defender.

comrade
03-07-2016, 11:58 PM
It's an ordinary week for Tom Boyd to come back into the side. Chances are, if he's picked, then Rance will pick him up - which means he won't get a kick when forward. I'm not sure if that is reason enough NOT to pick him - but not ideal after so long out to run into arguably the leagues best tall defender.

If Rance goes to Boyd, Redpath or Stringer may get off the leash.

If he's available to play, I'd pick him ahead of Minson.

LostDoggy
04-07-2016, 12:19 AM
I really hope we don't drop Webb. Has been made to work extra hard for his opportunity and showed enough for another chance. The SCG was probably the worst venue for him. I would like to see Stevens in for Dickson and would be tempted to play Boyd in place of a very unlucky Minson or Redpath.

bornadog
04-07-2016, 10:03 AM
I really hope we don't drop Webb. Has been made to work extra hard for his opportunity and showed enough for another chance. The SCG was probably the worst venue for him. I would like to see Stevens in for Dickson and would be tempted to play Boyd in place of a very unlucky Minson or Redpath.

I would do the same.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-07-2016, 11:13 AM

I feel dropping Dickson for Stevens might kill our scoring ability....but what other small forward do we have to come in for a guy out of form? Stevens has to come back in after his display in the VFL - On form Dickson is the guy who makes way but i'm more concerned as to what this does for our structure - perhaps he comes in for Jong, who would be very unlucky after a cracking 2nd half.

Agree Boyd in for Redpath or a very unlucky Minson. I thought Minson was huge in the ruck - his physical presence was a great addition at the tiny SCG - may not be suited for Etihad though

Mantis
04-07-2016, 11:20 AM
In - Boyd, Stevens

Out - Minson, Dickson

bornadog
04-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I feel dropping Dickson for Stevens might kill our scoring ability....

In the last 4 weeks Dickson has kicked 0, 2, 0, 0. He is completely out of form.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-07-2016, 11:43 AM
In the last 4 weeks Dickson has kicked 0, 2, 0, 0. He is completely out of form.

He's certainly out of form. But our forward line struggles as it is and bringing in Koby doesn't fix that. With Toby and Crameri out, our mid forward options are pretty thin. Perhaps with Stevens coming in, Jong could move into that mid forward role.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2016, 04:10 PM

I think Dickson is out of form but the first 0 you mention was against the Eagles, where I think he had a pretty good game.

Whilst he did not kick a goal, had 3 goal assists (elite average per game this year = 1-1.3) and 9 score involvements (elite average = 8-9).

The game against Port wasn't great but he ended up with 2 goals, can cop as a baseline for the role he plays.

I think his poor form has been more his last two games, where he has been very poor.

Ozza
04-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Good post Rocco.

I'm torn on Dicko. For some reason, he isn't doing the basics that well at the moment. His hands, and his kicking are both uncharacteristically 'off' at the moment.

On form, there is certainly a case to drop him. He may benefit from a couple of weeks at VFL level seeing some more footy and hitting the scoreboard a bit.
But he is also the type of player who can kick you a bag of 4 or 5 and win the game.

He has never really gotten back to the standards of last season, since missing so much footy in the late part of pre-season.

comrade
04-07-2016, 04:28 PM
He's one of a very few on our list that has genuine forward instincts and a different level of goal kicking IQ. For a side that is struggling to create goals, replacing him with another mid/pseudo forward will just compound our issues. See Dunkley against Geelong.

I think we need to back him in and get him into form.

bornadog
04-07-2016, 04:56 PM
He's one of a very few on our list that has genuine forward instincts and a different level of goal kicking IQ. For a side that is struggling to create goals, replacing him with another mid/pseudo forward will just compound our issues. See Dunkley against Geelong.

I think we need to back him in and get him into form.

I think the MC has been giving him a different role this year and as I have said (and many others) over the last few years, we need him to play in the forward 50 and not be up on the wing.

always right
04-07-2016, 05:47 PM
At the moment he's a liability. He's a below average mark at the best of times but his hands at the moment are appalling. I tense up every time he goes near the ball. Kicking is his saving grace but even that's gone off the boil.

We've dropped blokes this year when their form has shown any signs of wavering. Dickson should be no different. Run him back into form with Footscray.

always right
04-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Looks like Adams is out for two to three with a foot injury. Damn.

lemmon
04-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Looks like Adams is out for two to three with a foot injury. Damn.

Morris is a pretty good matchup for Riewoldt and I'd back Roberts in on Vickery

Mofra
04-07-2016, 06:51 PM
He's certainly out of form. But our forward line struggles as it is and bringing in Koby doesn't fix that. With Toby and Crameri out, our mid forward options are pretty thin. Perhaps with Stevens coming in, Jong could move into that mid forward role.
Stevens often played a high forward role under Bevo, especially last year where his TOG % was lower than most other running players on our list. It's not completely unlike for like.

Scoring from stoppages is a forte of ours and Stevens helps that, although that means Wallis spends more time in the middle as we already have Smith playing a tough mobile forward role too.

I'd love to find a way to bring Boyd in too although I doubt that will happen this week.

Axe Man
04-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Morris is a pretty good matchup for Riewoldt and I'd back Roberts in on Vickery

Agreed that Adams missing shouldn't be too much of an issue this week. The following week against Gold Coast with Lynch and 2 Metre Peter in form is a bit of a concern however.

always right
04-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Agreed that Adams missing shouldn't be too much of an issue this week. The following week against Gold Coast with Lynch and 2 Metre Peter in form is a bit of a concern however.

All of a sudden the GC game looks very much like a danger game.

F'scary
04-07-2016, 08:25 PM
All of a sudden the GC game looks very much like a danger game.

I heard their win against the Saints this week came in a game that was played like circle work at training. Players defending acted like witches hats.

If we continue to play like we did against Sydney, we'll go through GC like a dose of salts.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Hope so I'm going to Cairns

Ozza
04-07-2016, 10:31 PM
With GCS and Richmond both having at least one, but likely two, 200cm forwards in their line ups - and Adams being out for a while' as well as Roberts coming back in, is it possible that we would consider Roughead to play back and T.Boyd to come in?

It's not ideal - but probably a better option right now than playing Collins, or Hamling - both would be significantly out-sized.

bornadog
04-07-2016, 11:27 PM
With GCS and Richmond both having at least one, but likely two, 200cm forwards in their line ups - and Adams being out for a while' as well as Roberts coming back in, is it possible that we would consider Roughead to play back and T.Boyd to come in?

It's not ideal - but probably a better option right now than playing Collins, or Hamling - both would be significantly out-sized.

I prefer Hamling to Roberts, at least he has a leap and is athletic and may be able to match up on taller players. Adams looked like a midget against Buddy and may also struggle against other 200cm forwards.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2016, 01:39 AM
I have said this a few times, I really struggle with footy fan obsession with raw height. Tall + crap= crap.

IMO Hamling really struggled against Port when we played him, we had to try him in a few roles. He looked poor as a tall defender and poor as a mobile medium type. In the VFL of late, he has apparently struggled down back forcing us to try him up forward.

Collins has huge upside but needs to add mobility and/or develop elite defensive awarness.

In the modern game you have team defence and forwards not just camping inside 50. The only thing you really need a strong/tall defender is in an inside 50 contest and if a side goes with more than 2 forward options there they are 1- not going to be used, 2- make a side too top heavy. Other than that, we particularly use the team defence model. You see someone like Biggs even taking talls when they venture outside 50. We are developing a great ability to switch to opponents depending on immediate need rather than who they are. I also believe it is folly to change your structure based on your opponents, something Beveridge has stated repeatedly. Playing another 'tall' means less run.

So in short I think it means you only NEED 2 tall defenders who can at least compete in contests with the bigger forwards (ideally of course, you want a tall, mobile guy who kicks it like Leon Cameron). Taking out Adams, who would you trust in a marking contest most down back? Mine are Wood and Morris. Yeah they are shorter than Hamling and Roberts but they are so much better they more than make up for it. The only reason I wouldn't use Wood there is that he is more valuable in his intercept role (plus it gives us a virtual back up in case of injury). The only tall defender left that I trust short term is Fletcher Roberts. Not great but unlike Hamling fills one role in a passable manner (despite Hamling probably being a better overall footballer).

bornadog
05-07-2016, 10:22 AM
The only tall defender left that I trust short term is Fletcher Roberts. Not great but unlike Hamling fills one role in a passable manner (despite Hamling probably being a better overall footballer).

Well that is where we differ, I think Hamling is much better than Roberts (at this stage in their career). The only reason Hamling went forward in the VFL was to fill a hole.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2016, 10:52 AM

I just don't see that as a possibility at all.

Roughead has played ruck every week and acquitted himself well (mostly). His mobility seems to match well against other ruckmen, but would compromise our rebound. In fact he significantly helps the rebound by being one of the better marking options coming out of defence 50.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Roughead has played ruck every week and acquitted himself well (mostly). His mobility seems to match well against other ruckmen, but would compromise our rebound. In fact he significantly helps the rebound by being one of the better marking options coming out of defence 50.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Tigers have had a week in the football focus and you would think that each player would be primed to show one thing this week: to measure their toughness at the contest against the toughest of contesters. Hopefully we make a fast start. Roberts will have to fill in for Adams and the midfield will need to be our defence.

hujsh
05-07-2016, 01:27 PM

He did play back for half a game against Carlton.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 02:10 PM
He did play back for half a game against Carlton.

He sometimes drops back into the backline for cover. On Saturday, there was a bit of play where the Swans were attacking (in the last 6 minutes), and Roughie dropped back and executed a beautiful punch which saw the ball sail through the points. Generally, we shouldn't be sending him back to FB

Mantis
05-07-2016, 02:16 PM
He sometimes drops back into the backline for cover. On Saturday, there was a bit of play where the Swans were attacking (in the last 6 minutes), and Roughie dropped back and executed a beautiful punch which saw the ball sail through the points. Generally, we shouldn't be sending him back to FB

He was playing in the ruck at this time.. Pretty sure it's expected that the ruckman drops back to assist.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 02:20 PM
He was playing in the ruck at this time.. Pretty sure it's expected that the ruckman drops back to assist.

Yes I know.

Cyberdoggie
05-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Very true that he is probably our best contested mark option around the ground. Not saying he's elite, just he's our best.
Does help straighten you up a little when you have someone who is better at taking marks as an option ahead of you.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-07-2016, 03:18 PM
I have said this a few times, I really struggle with footy fan obsession with raw height. Tall + crap= crap.

IMO Hamling really struggled against Port when we played him, we had to try him in a few roles. He looked poor as a tall defender and poor as a mobile medium type. In the VFL of late, he has apparently struggled down back forcing us to try him up forward.

Collins has huge upside but needs to add mobility and/or develop elite defensive awarness.

In the modern game you have team defence and forwards not just camping inside 50. The only thing you really need a strong/tall defender is in an inside 50 contest and if a side goes with more than 2 forward options there they are 1- not going to be used, 2- make a side too top heavy. Other than that, we particularly use the team defence model. You see someone like Biggs even taking talls when they venture outside 50. We are developing a great ability to switch to opponents depending on immediate need rather than who they are. I also believe it is folly to change your structure based on your opponents, something Beveridge has stated repeatedly. Playing another 'tall' means less run.

So in short I think it means you only NEED 2 tall defenders who can at least compete in contests with the bigger forwards (ideally of course, you want a tall, mobile guy who kicks it like Leon Cameron). Taking out Adams, who would you trust in a marking contest most down back? Mine are Wood and Morris. Yeah they are shorter than Hamling and Roberts but they are so much better they more than make up for it. The only reason I wouldn't use Wood there is that he is more valuable in his intercept role (plus it gives us a virtual back up in case of injury). The only tall defender left that I trust short term is Fletcher Roberts. Not great but unlike Hamling fills one role in a passable manner (despite Hamling probably being a better overall footballer).
I would expect to see Roberts who played well with Footscray at the weekend to replace Adams. The rest of our defence is very strong with Morris Boyd Biggs, Wood and JJ quality defenders. We should be able to get away with the one tall defender in Roberts with both Morris and Wood capable of playing on tall forwards. With finals fast approaching it wouldn't be out of the question to play both Roberts and Hamling, who were able to do the job last year with both players having the flexibility to play forward if and when required.

Mantis
05-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Bevo's weekly presser has concluded, key points for selection:

* Dahlhaus still a few weeks away. Out of brace and moving well.
* Tom's suspension will be over when the 'vibe' is right, very soon both boys will play AFL.. Parallel story is the shoulder that needs to be right before he plays. He was good on the weekend.
* Roberts a good chance to replace Adams.
* Will contested well in the ruck.

comrade
05-07-2016, 04:25 PM
So Will to keep his spot, and Fletcher to come in for Adams seems to be way its heading.

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Looks like Boyd won't play this week going by that.. Which means Minson holds his spot.

Watched the game again and Minson really struggled. Atleast Richmond ruck stocks are crap like Sydney's were.

The Pie Man
05-07-2016, 05:58 PM
I'd consider Will surviving to be fairly lucky, though I never like 1 week in 1 week out either. Probably deserves at least another week

On that basis, I don't want to drop Webb for Stevens - I don't want to drop Dickson either though. Waiting for someone to pull up sore.

I'm ok with Fletcher for Adams - Vickery (if he plays) needs a Roberts type.

merantau
05-07-2016, 07:16 PM
I know Dickson has been struggling but I think we have to stand by him during this barren patch. He has enough runs on the board to be given some slack. He knows the sand in the egg timer is getting lower so hopefully he will turn the corner this week.

1eyedog
05-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Webb has to make way for Stevens. Stevens' VFL form tells me he's right to go. Places are getting harder to come by now but Webb is being tauted as a mid and at this stage Stevens is a better one.

azabob
05-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Webb has to make way for Stevens. Stevens' VFL form tells me he's right to go. Places are getting harder to come by now but Webb is being tauted as a mid and at this stage Stevens is a better one.

How was Stevens decision making and disposal during the game?

F'scary
05-07-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm actually for keeping Webb ahead of Dickson for the Richmond game. Thought he competed well and he looks like he has a nice build about him now too. We have to start getting games into some of these guys. That's why I was basically opposed to Adcock being selected. 6 games that could have gone into either Webb or Dale or Honeychurch or even others like Cordy

bornadog
06-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Improved Minson no certainty to face Tigers (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/improved-minson-no-certainty-to-face-tigers)

LostDoggy
06-07-2016, 01:47 AM
Jong for Stevens seems like a no brainer for, similiar type, hard mid forward and an upgrade in nearly every way.

While not preferred, Rough back and Tboyd in supporting Minno in the ruck seems better overall than bringing Fletch in.

The Adelaide Connection
06-07-2016, 02:02 AM
I've seen seven games live since we have had Boyd and he hasn't played in any of them. This included a period when he was playing every week and was a late out for one of the games I came over for. I am headed over this weekend, so you can lock in that he won't play.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Is a revolving door policy in our ruck a good thing? It does add a bit of unpredictability and certainly entertaining to see different blokes battle it out. One area we go in with an advantage.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Beveridge leaves you with a bit to infer when he comments about team selection in his press conferences.

The when the 'vibe' is right comments about Tom Boyd make me think he won't be in this week. That said, his comments about Minson make me think they are happy with his ruck work but needs to do more forward. I do not think Beveridge will compromise the message he wants to send to the team just to make the team better for one game.

always right
06-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Jong for Stevens seems like a no brainer for, similiar type, hard mid forward and an upgrade in nearly every way.

While not preferred, Rough back and Tboyd in supporting Minno in the ruck seems better overall than bringing Fletch in.

Roughy has played defence for about 60 minutes the entire season. He's finally hitting his straps as our number one ruckman. Why do you think they would push him back now?

LostDoggy
06-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Roughy has played defence for about 60 minutes the entire season. He's finally hitting his straps as our number one ruckman. Why do you think they would push him back now?

I said why. But in addition, Minson is capable of handling a far larger percentage of ruck time which also gives Boyd an easier return.

Boyd > fletch
Rough > fletch

Best available 22.

And is Ruff now our number 1 ruckman? If you put that to a vote i think youd find it fairly even between 3.

Mofra
06-07-2016, 11:25 PM
I heard their win against the Saints this week came in a game that was played like circle work at training. Players defending acted like witches hats.
The combined tackle count of the Sun & Richmond game was lower than either the Swans or the Bulldogs managed.

Completely different games, although the Suns are getting their players back and their forwardline is downright scary.

Mofra
06-07-2016, 11:26 PM
And is Ruff now our number 1 ruckman? If you put that to a vote i think youd find it fairly even between 3.
Roughy's marking around the ground is better than Campbell or Minson - Bevo yesterday said he was one of the best contested marks in the competition.

Pre-season I had him at no 3 behind Campbell and Wilbur but so far he's overtaken both.

Remi Moses
07-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Roughy has been very good . I think Bevo's keeping Will on his toes ( straight out of the Clarkson handbook)
Think Richmond might play McBean instead of Vickery

LostDoggy
07-07-2016, 01:04 AM
Roughy's marking around the ground is better than Campbell or Minson - Bevo yesterday said he was one of the best contested marks in the competition.

Pre-season I had him at no 3 behind Campbell and Wilbur but so far he's overtaken both.

Very happy to agree that Ruff has improved in most areas, particularly marking around the ground, but as a pure ruckman he would struggle to survive as the number 1 ruckman for the majority of a game let alone multiple games (for now). We know Minson can and TC is strong enough.

I was surprised TC was dropped.

Mofra
07-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Very happy to agree that Ruff has improved in most areas, particularly marking around the ground, but as a pure ruckman he would struggle to survive as the number 1 ruckman for the majority of a game let alone multiple games (for now). We know Minson can and TC is strong enough.

I was surprised TC was dropped.
He's done well so far this year sharing ruck duties (and taking the majority of ruck duties at the start of the year when we played Roughy & Boyd).
He's mobile and takes marks around the ground - he plays the way Bevo wants. If only he could kick for goal...

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Boyd will play this week....said a reliable BF source ;) let's see how reliable they are. Would be huge if true and the reaction from the media, in particular Barret, will be priceless

SlimPickens
07-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Boyd will play this week....said a reliable BF source ;) let's see how reliable they are. Would be huge if true and the reaction from the media, in particular Barret, will be priceless

And he should play!

comrade
07-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Adds some extra excitement when the big fella plays. Opposition fans get stuck in, plenty of banter to go round.

Really hope he plays and has a huge one.

hujsh
07-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Adds some extra excitement when the big fella plays. Opposition fans get stuck in, plenty of banter to go round.

Really hope he plays and has a huge one.

Would be a big effort if Rance lines up on him too.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Hopefully "when the vibe's right" meant when he has some fire in him! I'm hoping he will come out all guns blazing, full of aggression looking to rip the game apart, Clay Smith style!

always right
07-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Hoping Rance doesn't tear him a new one like previous games.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Hoping Rance doesn't tear him a new one like previous games.

Hopefully Red is retained and Boyd comes in for Minson. That way, one of Stringer, Red or Boyd has to get going. Rance may have to move around a bit :)

bornadog
07-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Is it looking like:

In: Stevens, Boyd and Roberts

Out: Jong, Adams and Minson (or Red)

Pickenitup
07-07-2016, 05:11 PM
In Boyd Stevens Roberts
Out Adams jong minson

LostDoggy
07-07-2016, 05:26 PM
In-Stevens,Boyd,Collins

Out-Jong,Adams,Minson

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Is it looking like:

In: Stevens, Boyd and Roberts

Out: Jong, Adams and Minson (or Red)

So you reckon Dickson to get another week and go at it again. When he is on fire he can be very dangerous but yes last Saturday he certainly wasn't one of our best in our great win.

Tough one between Mino and Red.

hujsh
07-07-2016, 07:23 PM
No Boyd.

Disapointing

In: Stevens and Roberts

Out: Minson and Adams

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 07:24 PM
No Boyd.

Disapointing

In: Stevens and Roberts

Out: Minson and Adams

Vibe not right

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Redpath to ruck?

ledge
07-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Obviously we don't rate richmonds ruck stocks and hopefully Jong in shuts up Barrett !

lemmon
07-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Tiges playing all of Riewoldt, Griffiths and McBean

kruder
07-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Midgets in the forward line again. Will be interesting to see if Jake actually comes at the ball when Redpath goes in the ruck.

Bring the pressure around the ball and we will suffocate them.

LostDoggy
07-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Just goes to show people on another site who claim to be in the know clearly have no idea.

The last few selections have been quite predictable and boring! This is back to the old Bev!

Ozza
07-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Disappointing changes for the fans.

Remi Moses
07-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Some bloke called SEN and said he'd heard on good authority Tom was in .
Predictable in's, Minson a tad unlucky. Not sure about Jack being the second big

1eyedog
07-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Very surprised by the changes or lack thereof. Will Jong get booed? A few seem to think he'll get a hard time of it.

Ozza
07-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Minson in as a late change for whoever is sore.

Stevens would appear surplus to midfield needs unless a mid was set to miss (I know, I know - Bevo always picks a side we don't expect and always small).

Remi Moses
07-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Very surprised by the changes or lack thereof. Will Jong get booed? A few seem to think he'll get a hard time of it.

That would be totally insane . He's put pressure on himself by this getting out

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 07:55 PM
We will be in trouble if something happens to Roughy early

Remi Moses
07-07-2016, 07:56 PM
We will be in trouble if something happens to Roughy early

He's not exactly Mr Durability

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Would have liked to have kept Will in.

Tom Boyd surely if not this week but next needs to come back into our side and give us something in that forward line. Could Bevo be priming for next year more with Boyd once Crameri comes back into the fold?

I would have kept Adams in but thats just me.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 08:00 PM
As another woofer said maybe a late change and Minno in.

dadsgirl16
07-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Adams has a foot injury

GVGjr
07-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Redpath to ruck?

Risky approach but Bevo likes to gamble with ruck set-ups

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Adams has a foot injury

Ok yes fair enough in that case. Wasn't aware of that.

azabob
07-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Hasn't he played all season though?

1eyedog
07-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Agreed. The BF board is lighting up with comments suggesting they'll attend to boo Jong.

SonofScray
07-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Surely not?! That'd be shameful behaviour from our own fans.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Bulldogs supporters are better than that. I watched our fans merely grimace and adjust their scarves every time Callan Ward went near the ball, back when we knew he was a goner. Rarely a bronx cheer from our mob. Don't expect it.

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 08:47 PM
I don't believe there will be a reaction to Jong.

The Underdog
07-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Oh Match Committee, you've done it again...😏

Eastdog
07-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Oh Match Committee, you've done it again...��

What did you like and dislike The Underdog from the changes we made?

SonofScray
07-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Surprised that we are going in with just Roughie as the ruck. Always nervous in that scenario, even though he has been reasonably durable this season. Had a sense that if we dropped Minson, we'd bring Boyd in.

Koby back in is good news, I hope he can build some good form. Will add a bit of what we've lost with Dalhaus out back into the team.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Koby Stevens. Ball magnet, tough as nails, but king of the hospital handpass.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I think if Red doesnt make it he will be replaced by Boyd. Seems that the MC have gone away from the 2 ruckmen plus 1 key forward set up to 1 ruckman and a key forward who rucks

EasternWest
07-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Bulldogs supporters are better than that. I watched our fans merely grimace and adjust their scarves every time Callan Ward went near the ball, back when we knew he was a goner. Rarely a bronx cheer from our mob. Don't expect it.

You must have been sitting in a different area to me. He was booed constantly.

F'scary
07-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Agreed. The BF board is lighting up with comments suggesting they'll attend to boo Jong.

They will be cheering him and crying "don't leave" as he carves it up in the AFL this Saturday night like he has in his best VFL games and the club will hurry to offer him better than a one year deal.

kruder
07-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Agree. Do we boo the club when they offer a player a shite deal? Its just business and we are long inside mids. The person that should be getting booed is his manger, for some reason he has escaped judgment.

The Underdog
07-07-2016, 10:08 PM
What did you like and dislike The Underdog from the changes we made?

It was more a comment on the unpredictability of the MC. They love to leave us short in one area and then work it out. Would have liked Boyd in but that probably would have seen Webb out.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Agree. Do we boo the club when they offer a player a shite deal? Its just business and we are long inside mids. The person that should be getting booed is his manger, for some reason he has escaped judgment.

I heard someone say his manager is Scott Lucas

Axe Man
07-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Jong's punishment is that he will be made to ruck all game.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Ha ha thinking the same thing

bulldogtragic
07-07-2016, 11:38 PM

He could actually beat Maric & Vickery...

Mantis
07-07-2016, 11:42 PM
He could actually beat Maric & Vickery...

Is that whey they were both dropped?

bornadog
07-07-2016, 11:43 PM

I hope our supporters don't resort to booing their own player. Jong is representing the RWB, and supporters should do just that and support him.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Is that whey they were both dropped?

Um. Maybe. I did not know that.

bornadog
07-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Koby Stevens. Ball magnet, tough as nails, but king of the hospital handpass.
Not anymore

Mantis
07-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Not anymore

Since when?

Yeah, it won't be this week.. Playing a crap team.

bornadog
07-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Since when?

Yeah, it won't be this week.. Playing a crap team.

Since two years ago

Mantis
08-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Since two years ago

You missed the Haw game earlier this year?

Maybe not hospital handballs , just ones at his teammates feet.

LostDoggy
08-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Interesting, glad to see Stevo in but seems harsh on Minson, what was the point for one game?

bornadog
08-07-2016, 12:17 AM
You missed the Haw game earlier this year?

Maybe not hospital handballs , just ones at his teammates feet.
You mean the game he had disposal efficiency of 82.4%

Mantis
08-07-2016, 12:25 AM
You mean the game he had disposal efficiency of 82.4%

That's the one... Just cause they landed in a team mates hands doesn't mean they weren't directed at their feet.

And from memory he had 2 kicks and 12-14 handballs so it's realistic to think going on those numbers that not all the handballs hit the intended target.

jeemak
08-07-2016, 12:33 AM

Was actually thinking the same thing, but you got in first A-Man, so you get the points.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2016, 02:16 AM
I think we made the right call with Minson. He is a liability outside of the ruck. Really need the 'vibe' to right so we can play the only guy who fits the 2nd ruck role.

Bulldog4life
08-07-2016, 09:27 AM
I think Bevo is still looking for our best forward option so we can score more heavily. He has gone from 3 big ruck/ forwards to 2 throughout this season. His favourite seems to be the 2 big guys, even though it hasn't been successful in certain matches this year, as he keeps reverting to it. Time will tell if he is right.I think in the weeks ahead it will be the Roughy/Boyd combo he will settle on.

Mantis
08-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I think we made the right call with Minson. He is a liability outside of the ruck. Really need the 'vibe' to right so we can play the only guy who fits the 2nd ruck role.

... contest. Gives nothing other than the ability to win a hit out & the odd clearance.

Unfortunatley the game has moved past Will and his body doesn't allow him to be effective.. It would be a step backwards if he was to play deep into this season.

bornadog
08-07-2016, 09:41 AM

The vibe should have come in this week.

soupman
08-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Looks like we are going to try to run them off their feet. We've obviously judged that their talls aren't good enough to bother shutting down so we might as well hurt them going the other way. Even with short opponents I don't really fear Griffiths and McBean getting ontop of us. JJ and Wood are both particularly valuable with this tactic for they both are good in the air but elite in running it out of a forwardline, especially a slow one.

Hotdog60
08-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Could we see the return of the Men of mayhem this week?

Ghost Dog
08-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Is Tom Boyd THE VIBE now? It's a good nickname!

Murphy'sLore
08-07-2016, 12:21 PM
The Vibe! I love it!

Picking up some good vibrations...

bulldogsthru&thru
08-07-2016, 12:23 PM
The Vibe! I love it!

Picking up some good vibrations...

Like it.

vs Gold Coast next week:

IN: The Vibe
OUT: TBC

westdog54
08-07-2016, 12:48 PM

As funny as this is, might he share second ruck duties, a la what happened last year against Freo?

Only this time instead of battling Sandilands it will be... Hampson.

I would back Jong to outruck both Hampson and Liam McBean.

Ozza
08-07-2016, 12:58 PM
As funny as this is, might he share second ruck duties, a la what happened last year against Freo?

Only this time instead of battling Sandilands it will be... Hampson.

I would back Jong to outruck both Hampson and Liam McBean.

Hampson is actually a good tap ruckman. He isn't much of a player overall - but his actual ruck contest stuff is ok.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-07-2016, 09:16 AM

Disappointed to see us go with one tall ruck man in Roughead. This would have been the ideal game to play Tom Boyd who needs senior games to prepare him for our finals games.

GVGjr
09-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Disappointed to see us go with one tall ruck man in Roughead. This would have been the ideal game to play Tom Boyd who needs senior games to prepare him for our finals games.

Agreed, Redpath is okay for a few minutes but Boyd is the far better part time ruck option. Bevo does mind to gamble with our rucks though.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2016, 10:42 AM
I agree with dropping Minson. Our issue is we only have 1 legit modern 2nd ruck and whether it's official or not, he is suspended.

With rotations, everyone needs to spend about 80% TOG. Minson/Campbell/Roughy all struggle up forward. Roughy is better around the ground but it is still as a ruck. Basically playing two of them = 60-65% TOG up forward where they are a liability.

I much prefer having a Redpath/Jong/inanimate object offering ruck relief for 15-20% TOG than Minson up forward for 60-65%. It is not a gamble/risk, it just makes sense.