PDA

View Full Version : Michael Hurley

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Twodogs
08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Yeah. They probably will have to wait until our season is done.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Awesome if this ever eventuates. GCS have pick 4 & 9. Will get 6 if Prestia goes and another top 10 if Jaeger goes. Say they have 4, 7 & 9. We do (say) pick 12 & something for pick 7.

Replicate the Carlisle deal. Pick 7 for Hurley & pick 19. (19 could be swapped with GCS for pick 21 to give them more points without us losing too much). So then who gets us a 5 pick upgrade from GCS, less some bonus points for them?

Man, the more you think about this as a possibility the more the mind races. Alternatively, if they rejected the same as the Carlisle Trade then our first rounder this year (11-18) & first rounder next year (18) for Hurley & their 2017 second rounder (24). Essendon get two first rounders, that's sellable to their members (on par with the Jonathan Hay trade, a similar sort before his demons impacted him too much). Or if the pull Stringer, Boyd, Bonts nonsense I wonder at what point free agency gets discussed?

bornadog
08-08-2016, 08:47 PM
If they get too hard to deal with, we threaten them with FA

Remi Moses
08-08-2016, 09:04 PM
If we give up two first rounders , we must get something back .

Remi Moses
08-08-2016, 09:08 PM
The drums are beating louder re Hurley. Barrett, Sam Landsberger both stating if he leaves it's to us. Sounds likely that Hurley will be wearing red, white and blue next year if he chooses to leave.

I just don't get how Jake Carlisle could get Hurley over .
The same Jake Carlisle who claimed " This place is f*****, I'm outta here".
Pretty sure his Essendon teammates would be annoyed by that, and I'm thinking not much love

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
If we give up two first rounders , we must get something back .

Pick 24 or so next year. Their 2017 second rounder.

jeemak
08-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Our first three selections in this year's draft plus our second from next year, for Hurley and their second in this year?

I'm not comfortable with being locked out of the first round two years in a row.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Our first three selections in this year's draft plus our second from next year, for Hurley and their second in this year?

I'm not comfortable with being locked out of the first round two years in a row.

So picks (give or take) 12, 30 & 59 in 2016 & pick 36 in 2017 - for - Hurley & pick 19 this year.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 09:28 PM
So picks (give or take) 12, 30 & 59 in 2016 & pick 36 in 2017 - for - Hurley & pick 19 this year.

I still the we need another somewhat developed tall forward (ie McStay or similar), do we trade out someone with currency like Stevens to make that happen?

GVGjr
08-08-2016, 09:29 PM
This. Stringer isn't a traditional KPF and may spend time in the midfield so he says. Crameri & Dickson aren't KPFs. Redders is out most of the year. That leaves us with Tom Boyd who we may ruck again (I'm hoping not). That leaves us light on in my book. Dahl has come in since Wally went down, Clay Smith is working back to the midfield, Webb & Dunkley are developing nicely, Stevens didn't play on the weekend & Jong may still be with us too. So I don't see too much a correlation between the two scenarios, adding McStay improves our list & forward line potential in my opinion.

You're making the assumption that at 194cm McStay is a genuine KP player or in your vision a KP forward.
To me if we are after a tall forward then we need to look at players that can take a turn in the ruck or be that genuine target if Boyd is in the ruck. I'm not yet buying the concept that McStay automatically makes our forward line better. Depth yes but I haven't seen enough to say he makes us better.

In your scenario you are suggesting we have a forward line of Stringer, Boyd, Crameri, Dickson along with McStay and if Boyd isn't rucking how do we rest either Campbell and/or Roughead in the ruck?

GVGjr
08-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Especially when we have already missed the last 2 years

jeemak
08-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Secure another pick in the 20's this year for Stevens or someone similar and we're drafting at a level similar to last year.

boydogs
08-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Stringer isn't a traditional KPF and may spend time in the midfield so he says. Crameri & Dickson aren't KPFs

Is Gunston a KPF? How many KPF's do Hawthorn have?

Hotdog60
08-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Read somewhere today that St.Kilda are also looking at Hurley and have only just come into the picture.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 09:56 PM
You're making the assumption that at 194cm McStay is a genuine KP player or in your vision a KP forward.
To me if we are after a tall forward then we need to look at players that can take a turn in the ruck or be that genuine target if Boyd is in the ruck. I'm not yet buying the concept that McStay automatically makes our forward line better. Depth yes but I haven't seen enough to say he makes us better.

In your scenario you are suggesting we have a forward line of Stringer, Boyd, Crameri, Dickson along with McStay and if Boyd isn't rucking how do we rest either Campbell and/or Roughead in the ruck?

I take your point about rucking, it's a very valid point. Will they play Camhead and Boyd, if so its less of a priority. But say Boyd has some weeks off with injury or suspension, we are very light on. Very. Whether its McStay or an Aaron Black type, another tall forward isn't tipping the list over too top heavy. Then the question is do we need a bits and pieces player like Vickery?

Man I love list management theory. So many questions, so many answers.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Read somewhere today that St.Kilda are also looking at Hurley and have only just come into the picture.

Like they did when Tom Boyd was all of a sudden gettable? Maybe they should focus on Carlisle not going completely off the tracks.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 10:01 PM
We joke about Carlton bring GWS-Lite.

We have Crameri. Took Dickson & Campbell from beneath them. The steak knives in the Cooney deal was Shane Biggs with Declan Hamilton. They claim Stringer as one of theirs, and apparently how they nearly did a deal to get Bonts... If we land Hurley does that make us Essendon-Strong, Essendon-Extra, Essendon-Envy or do we simply register them as a second feeder club?

azabob
08-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Bontempelli, Stringer and Hurley - does the salary cap allow us to pay them all $700 plus?

Not taking into account; JJ, Liberatore, MaCrae, Wood, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Hunter, T.Boyd etc.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Bontempelli, Stringer and Hurley - does the salary cap allow us to pay them all $700 plus?

Not taking into account; JJ, Liberatore, MaCrae, Wood, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Hunter, T.Boyd etc.

We've been banking money, Crameri's salary isn't paid by us this year and to be used on other players and a big salary cap rise from next year. So yes.

GVGjr
08-08-2016, 10:41 PM
I take your point about rucking, it's a very valid point. Will they play Camhead and Boyd, if so its less of a priority. But say Boyd has some weeks off with injury or suspension, we are very light on. Very. Whether its McStay or an Aaron Black type, another tall forward isn't tipping the list over too top heavy. Then the question is do we need a bits and pieces player like Vickery?

Man I love list management theory. So many questions, so many answers.

To me McStay is better defender but someone who might be switched forward at times.
If we weren't so heavily into Hurley I'd certainly be considering McStay and seeing if we could make that work.

As much as we all know that Hurley makes us a better team I'm hoping we don't have to mortgage the house to get him.

GVGjr
08-08-2016, 10:43 PM
We've been banking money, Crameri's salary isn't paid by us this year and to be used on other players and a big salary cap rise from next year. So yes.

Are you sure about that? I think I read earlier in the season that we were paying him because we knew the risks when we traded for him.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Are you sure about that? I think I read earlier in the season that we were paying him because we knew the risks when we traded for him.

An article posted on here the other week referenced that 6 months salary (circa $150,000-$180,000) is not being paid by us, and not counting in our cap. I think Gordon confirmed it on radio, maybe? We were offered the right to front load players or bank it. Apparently all the teams not effected were filthy of the financial advantage we, Port, Melb & Saints have received.

bornadog
08-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Western Bulldogs have met with banned Essendon defender Michael Hurley and are frontrunners (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-have-met-with-banned-essendon-defender-michael-hurley-and-are-frontrunners/news-story/dd77ab7b2279eebea20716f5fcf05419)

ESSENDON star Michael Hurley has met with the Western Bulldogs, who are the clear frontrunners for the All-Australian’s services if he decides to leave the Bombers.

Hurley had a meeting with Bulldogs officials — and representatives of a second Melbourne club, besides the Bombers — prior to going on a lengthy overseas trip, in which he has met up with other suspended Dons.

Essendon is understood to have made a strong long-term contract offer in a bid to keep Hurley, whose future is expected to be decided shortly after the end of Essendon’s 2016 season. Money is not expected to be a major influence on whether he stays.

While Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell has been the driving force in the campaign to keep Hurley — and to retain the other suspended players, having signed Cale Hooker and several others — Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has removed himself from his club’s bid for the 26-year-old key defender.

Gordon has recused himself from the Bulldogs’ discussions over Hurley because of the role his son Patrick, a lawyer, is playing in acting for the suspended Essendon players, including Hurley. The Bulldogs’ president considers his son’s role to represent a conflict of interest for him.

Patrick Gordon, who acted for Bulldogs Stewart Crameri and Brent Prismall in the ASADA and WADA cases, is involved both in the appeal by the 34 players to the Swiss Federal Supreme Court and has been handling negotiations over compensation for a number of the suspended 34.

Hurley’s team mate Michael Hibberd is another suspended player whose future is yet to be settled, with Melbourne having made him an attractive four-year deal.

The Demons have met with Hibberd, who has a relationship with Simon Goodwin from the incoming senior coach’s days as an assistant coach at Essendon.

Both Hurley and Hibberd are contracted to play for the Bombers in 2017 and there is little chance that the Bulldogs or Melbourne would pursue the option of instigating legal action to land either of the pair by arguing that the Dons have voided their contracts.

Former Geelong and Essendon star Paul Chapman suggested on RSN radio on Monday that he believed Hurley would leave the Bombers.

Essendon has worked diligently to retain all 12 of the suspended players, without pressuring them. Jobe Watson is yet to recommit for next season, though he has been training strongly and his father Tim has indicated that Jobe, who is contracted for 2017, would not play for another club next year — meaning he would either play with Essendon or retire.

The bulk of the suspended dozen have been training as a group under the guidance of former Essendon premiership player and ex-assistant coach Sean Wellman, supported by ex-Collingwood and Carlton conditioning chief David Buttifant.

Mofra
09-08-2016, 09:45 AM
We are but we get reimbursed by Essendon.
It's a different arrangement to Port and St Kilda who have Essendon paying their former players directly.

We're really looking after Crammers... and I'm sure Hurley knows all about it ;)

1eyedog
09-08-2016, 10:09 AM
This would be such a great result if it happens and all of a sudden our big man stocks look the best they've ever been. Hurley, Boyd, Adams, Roberts, Hamling, Roughie and Campbell.

Hurley, Crameri and Stringer in the same side would be nuts. Fingers crossed.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 10:13 AM
This would be such a great result if it happens and all of a sudden our big man stocks look the best they've ever been. Hurley, Boyd, Adams, Roberts, Hamling, Roughie and Campbell.

Hurley, Crameri and Stringer in the same side would be nuts. Fingers crossed.

Our Spine in a couple of years would be:

Collins - Pick 26
Hurley - Pick 5
Bonts - Pick 4
Stringer - Pick 5
Boyd - Pick 1

Lowest cumulative spine draft numbered spine ever I believe.

1eyedog
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Collins - Pick 26
Hurley - Pick 5
Bonts - Pick 4
Stringer - Pick 5
Boyd - Pick 1

Oh wow I forgot all about Collins poor lad.

bornadog
09-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Oh wow I forgot all about Collins poor lad.

Gone into surgery for shoulder - season over. Hopefully comes back bigger and better next season.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Collins - Pick 26
Hurley - Pick 5
Bonts - Pick 4
Stringer - Pick 5
Boyd - Pick 1

We need to do something about getting Caleb Marchbank. Get that average right down.

Mantis
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Gone into surgery for shoulder - season over. Hopefully comes back bigger and better next season.

Hopefully he comes back slimmer & faster. ;)

I like this talk about Hurley.. Quality player who would fit right into our team.. Nice to know we are seen as an attractive proposition again.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 10:45 AM

It's worth noting the following restriction with trading future year picks.

- Clubs must make at least two first-round selections in each four-year period. If they don't, they will face restrictions from trading any further first-round draft picks.

Given we traded away last year first round pick when we received 20 & 21, we'll be unable to use both this years & next years first rounder in a deal for Hurley. We must take at least one of those picks to the draft.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Worsfold seems 100% confident he is staying. Says contract negotiations are well down the track past next year.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Worsfold seems 100% confident he is staying. Says contract negotiations are well down the track past next year.

Dodoro: Here's a 5 year extension to stay here.
Connors: Get *!*!*!*!ed. You injected Michael with God knows what, doing unknown harm, suspended for a year & finish in a nothing team.
Dodoro: Are you sure?
Connors: Yes.

I suppose that's a negotiation. I suppose that's about years passed next year. So I suppose it's not a lie, in a sense...

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Well he isn't going to say anything else - everything Essendon says will be lies from here on - nothing new there. Even if Hurley nominates us, the Bombers will attempt right up to the death to try and change his mind and make public comment on how they are confident he will remain 'loyal'. Its how they roll.

If Hurley does choose us it will be interesting.

The Ryder and Carlisle deals should be guides as to what the Bombers accept - moreso the Ryder deal IMO.

So at a minimum our first and second. Given the influx of players the Bombers may have next year, I imagine they'd prefer picks in next year's draft.

So something like our first next year and this year's second.

Given Dodoro's form for lying and delaying, I hope we don't try and tie any of our players into a deal, either with the Bombers or indirectly via a third party, as it will only end in pain.

Also wouldn't forget Dodoro's ability to encourage one of our uncontracted players like Stevens or Campbell, to go to the PSD as payback.

Remi Moses
09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Interesting one of their P/A Matthew Lloyd reckons they'd want an Alex Rance type in return .
Honestly I wouldn't give you Murray Rance

hujsh
09-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Interesting one of their P/A Matthew Lloyd reckons they'd want an Alex Rance type in return .
Honestly I wouldn't give you Murray Rance

If we had an Alex Rance we wouldn't need a Michael Hurley as much.

Also when ever have like-for-like trades happened like that?

The Pie Man
09-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Also said as the weeks go on it's 'getting tight'

What am I doing - I'm paying no attention....

Bulldog4life
09-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Lloyd did say it would have to involve multiple teams for that to happen not just the Bummers and dogs

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Wayne Schwass for Shannon Grant.

hujsh
09-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Lloyd did say it would have to involve multiple teams for that to happen not just the Bummers and dogs
We could still just trade for the other guy and not get Essendon involved at all if it's someone that good.

ledge
09-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Just do what a few say here .. Take our offer or he uses his get out of jail free card and they get nothing.

kruder
09-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Anyone got durability concerns?

Remi Moses
10-08-2016, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't think so .

1eyedog
10-08-2016, 02:33 AM
No he's tough as

azabob
10-08-2016, 06:31 AM
My concern is having to pay too much both salary cap wise and trade wise.

Mantis
10-08-2016, 06:56 AM
My concern is having to pay too much both salary cap wise and trade wise.

What's too much for an All Australian CHB? (on both counts)

always right
10-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Just do what a few say here .. Take our offer or he uses his get out of jail free card and they get nothing.
Don't reckon that's going to happen as I've read nothing that suggests Hurley wants to punish the bombers. Most likely scenario is that Essendon concedes he is leaving at the end of 2017 and decide to make the best of the situation by facilitating a trade. This will be one of our biggest tests. What are we willing to sacrifice?

1eyedog
10-08-2016, 09:35 AM
What's too much for an All Australian CHB? (on both counts)

Yep got to get it done if he wants out. Salary cap wise is up to the men behind the scenes at the club with business acumen. They were right into Hrovat a few years ago so maybe he is part of the deal. We have a few of his type so is not irreplaceable.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2016, 01:24 PM
It seems that the only way Hurley will become a Bulldog is if he walks. He will have to hold his nerve for that. The rest of the football world is pretending the Bombers are a legitimate club now that they have suffered for a year not having the personnel that they poisoned . No other consequences it seems. So for us to get him he will have to fly in the face of the football world.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2016, 01:31 PM
It seems that the only way Hurley will become a Bulldog is if he walks. He will have to hold his nerve for that. The rest of the football world is pretending the Bombers are a legitimate club now that they have suffered for a year not having the personnel that they poisoned . No other consequences it seems. So for us to get him he will have to fly in the face of the football world.

The footy world is not going to hold walking against him. I think if anything he'd have the blessing of neutral supporters after everything he (and the rest of the banned players) has been put through.

Remi Moses
10-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Xavier Campbell ( Essendon president) categorically stated that they wouldn't stand in the way of any player wanting to leave .
Will they be beholden to what was stated

ledge
10-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Xavier Campbell ( Essendon president) categorically stated that they wouldn't stand in the way of any player wanting to leave .

Well that makes it hard for Dordoro then. Going against his president if he plays hardball.

1eyedog
10-08-2016, 04:16 PM

They won't, but they'll want to be adequately compensated.

bornadog
11-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Xavier Campbell says Essendon would help Michael Hurley move clubs but big trade needed (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/xavier-campbell-says-essendon-would-help-michael-hurley-move-clubs-but-big-trade-needed/news-story/0bfbb270272e46336695d84615ef86fd)

ESSENDON won’t stand in the way of banned star Michael Hurley if he does not want to return to the club, but is adamant it will have to receive something in return.

Hurley, 26, is one of five suspended Bombers yet to re-commit for next season.

He is contracted for 2017, but chief executive Xavier Campbell says it will work with Hurley and others should they want to leave - but he won’t let them walk for nothing.

“I don’t think (we’d force them to stay), and we made that pretty clear,” he said.

“You want players that want to be at your football club. Particularly given the period of time we’ve been through, if a player said they didn’t feel like they could come back to the football club with everything that happened, of course we’d work with them to go to another club.

“The caveat is that the club got a reasonable return in exchange for that player leaving a contract early. But we want to work with them, absolutely.”

Campbell said indications he has received are that the AFL’s grievance tribunal could be avoided.
“You’d be trying to facilitate a trade. In the work we’ve done with the AFL and others, the grievance process, we don’t think, is that option,” he said on SEN.

“A lot of their management parties have indicated that if they did want to go, they’d work to a trade with the club.
“It’s all a bit of a hypothetical now, because I still think we’re in a good position to (have them re-commit).”

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney confirmed today that the Demons and “every club would have asked that question to (player manager) Paul Connors about what Michael’s (Hurley) doing”, but until he makes a decision said the Demons “expect for him to stay at Essendon”.

And Campbell feels the same.
“It’s a really competitive landscape, isn’t it? Clubs are always trying to find ways to improve their list and potential on the field,” he said.

“When you have players of the quality of Michael, where there’s a perception that he may or may not be available, clubs are going to want to explore that.

“He’s very close with his teammates and has a strong association with that group – they’ve been through a really tough period together. There’s still some work to be done to get Hurls there, but we remain confident with the position we’ve got.
“Michael’s been away, and that’s probably added another element to it. Not just with Michael, but a big handful of them. We still remain confident in our position.”

Bulldog Revolution
11-08-2016, 10:26 AM
There are a lot of words coming out of Essendon at the moment on Hurley - seem to be preparing for his departure

bornadog
11-08-2016, 10:29 AM
There are a lot of words coming out of Essendon at the moment on Hurley - seem to be preparing for his departure

Hopefully he comes to us.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 10:29 AM

It does sound like that. If stories are true and we have met with him then you would assume that Essendon have as well and at this stage he simply hasn't committed to anything. He certainly hasn't told Essendon he's leaving anyway. It's innuendo and the sooner he gets back and makes up his mind the sooner all the clubs with a vested interest can get on with it.

He's a big fish.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 11:41 AM

You don't make a statement like this if your confident of securing Hurley. You make it to fire a warning shot we won't be held to ransom. This is a big white flag to me on Hurley. Since we are the only club that's been linked to him for months, you'd guess we are in the box seat if wants a fresh start & premiership medal.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Hopefully he comes to us.

That would be so awesome. Almost the last piece in the premiership puzzle.

I hope we don't go out of our way to recompense Essendon. The only way we should be stumping up ANYTHING is if Hurley asks for it to happen. As far as I know he is the one who has to activate the delisted free agency ruling he is entitled to.

If Hurley is OK with us demanding FA then that is exactly what we should do. *!*!*!*! Essendon and all who sail in it.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 12:12 PM
That would be so awesome. Almost the last piece in the premiership puzzle.

I hope we don't go out of our way to recompense Essendon. The only way we should be stumping up ANYTHING is if Hurley asks for it to happen. As far as I know he is the one who has to activate the delisted free agency ruling he is entitled to.

If Hurley is OK with us demanding FA then that is exactly what we should do. *!*!*!*! Essendon and all who sail in it.

I agree stuff the AFEL. If it means he walks for free and the AFL sanction us indirectly by taking Good Friday off the table and snubbing equalisation who gives a rats. We've survived on our own for 140 years as a club despite their best attempts to break us down. If we can survive 89 we can walk the free agency tightrope with Hurls and get the best outcome for us while doing so. Stuff Good Friday and marquee times slots if we get Hurls he's almost the missing piece and from next season onwards Premierships will come, and that will be the biggest revenue earner for the club.

The club has had a serious brand change over the past 2 years, we are landing or at forefront of landing big fish and we ain't taking shit on or off the field, we can look after ourselves and we refuse to be bent over the AFEL barrel.

Here's the plan yeah, get Hurley for free, win Premierships, get 50k members, keep winning everything and we will become the AFL's greatest showpiece anyway. Vlad II will have no choice but to give the masses what they want, the Bulldogs against the best the competition has to pit against them on Friday nights and all us faithful Bulldogs people can fall through the looking glass and live the rest of our days in euphoria.

whythelongface
11-08-2016, 12:46 PM
I agree stuff the AFEL. If it means he walks for free and the AFL sanction us indirectly by taking Good Friday off the table and snubbing equalisation who gives a rats. We've survived on our own for 140 years as a club despite their best attempts to break us down. If we can survive 89 we can walk the free agency tightrope with Hurls and get the best outcome for us while doing so. Stuff Good Friday and marquee times slots if we get Hurls he's almost the missing piece and from next season onwards Premierships will come, and that will be the biggest revenue earner for the club.

The club has had a serious brand change over the past 2 years, we are landing or at forefront of landing big fish and we ain't taking shit on or off the field, we can look after ourselves and we refuse to be bent over the AFEL barrel.

Here's the plan yeah, get Hurley for free, win Premierships, get 50k members, keep winning everything and we will become the AFL's greatest showpiece anyway. Vlad II will have no choice but to give the masses what they want, the Bulldogs against the best the competition has to pit against them on Friday nights and all us faithful Bulldogs people can fall through the looking glass and live the rest of our days in euphoria.

Good post 1eye. We are like punk music back in '75 ready to take the world by storm. We are young and have an attitude with a few older heads leading the way (ala Malcolm Mclaren). Stuff the establishment. Let's write our own rules.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
With talk that the AFL want adequate compensation to Essendon, perhaps we need a negotiation around our fixture as well.

1. Opening Friday night of the season v Collingwood at Etihad.
2. Friday night games against Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong as our home games.
3. Retain Cairns but with a bye or 8 day break to follow.
4. Good Friday as our home game.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 01:05 PM
With talk that the AFL want adequate compensation to Essendon, perhaps we need a negotiation around our fixture as well.

Not a bad idea.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Good post 1eye. We are like punk music back in '75 ready to take the world by storm. We are young and have an attitude with a few older heads leading the way (ala Malcolm Mclaren). Stuff the establishment. Let's write our own rules.

Yeah I kind of felt like Rick from the Young Ones re-reading that rant.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2016, 01:20 PM
You don't make a statement like this if your confident of securing Hurley. You make it to fire a warning shot we won't be held to ransom. This is a big white flag to me on Hurley. Since we are the only club that's been linked to him for months, you'd guess we are in the box seat if wants a fresh start & premiership medal.

Not sure about that. Used to think along those lines until Buddy went to Sydney instead of GWS.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Yeah I kind of felt like Rick from the Young Ones re-reading that rant.

And we haven't even told our mothers what time we"lol be home!

comrade
11-08-2016, 01:40 PM

If the AFL are hellbent on meddling, we should definitely use it to our advantage.

Someone ping PG.

ledge
11-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Apparently Adelaide are making a go for Hurley

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Apparently Adelaide are making a go for Hurley

Everyone is making a go for Hurley. Or will. It seems we've been putting in the hard yards for the longest time so you'd think we are in a prime position.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Everyone is making a go for Hurley. Or will. It seems we've been putting in the hard yards for the longest time so you'd think we are in a prime position.

Those confirmed as interested at some point in the media are Richmond, Adelaide and us. There have been some rumblings that Melbourne should have a crack but no word from the club. Many Adelaide people think he is as good as signed at the Crows.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Those confirmed as interested at some point in the media are Richmond, Adelaide and us. There have been some rumblings that Melbourne should have a crack but no word from the club. Many Adelaide people think he is as good as signed at the Crows.

I was listening to Greg Denhom this morning on SEN. Hurley and Jenkins are mates apparantly and Denhom said that Jenkins offered to put Hurley up for a couple of days and show him around Adelaide. Later in the conversation somehow tgat had actually happened and Jenkins and Hurley are the bestest mates on the world.

I think Greg Denhim might construct narratives to best fit his version of events. You could actually hear the story grow in the studio.

bornadog
11-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Jenkins apparently is mates with him and has been in his ear about going to Adelaide.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Jenkins apparently is mates with him and has been in his ear about going to Adelaide.

Crameri is great mates with Hurley and has been in his ear about going to.... :D

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I can hardly wait to see who's facilities he tours.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 03:21 PM
I was listening to Greg Denhom this morning on SEN. Hurley and Jenkins are mates apparantly and Denhom said that Jenkins offered to put Hurley up for a couple of days and show him around Adelaide. Later in the conversation somehow tgat had actually happened and Jenkins and Hurley are the bestest mates on the world.

I think Greg Denhim might construct narratives to best fit his version of events. You could actually hear the story grow in the studio.

There were a bunch of photos on Hurley's twitter account of him and Jenkins in Adelaide together.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Crameri is great mates with Hurley and has been in his ear about going to.... :D

Yeah they're great mates.

Grantysghost
11-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Pretty sure Crammers and Hurley own a greyhound together, or used to (Disco Rain). They sound like they're reasonably close which can only be a good thing for us if he makes the decision to leave.

Doc26
11-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Also read that Hurley is great mates with Prismall who has no doubt been in his ear about going to....:D

He's still going to need a decent amount of welfare to get over the mess that's occurred on the other side of the Maribyrnong.

FrediKanoute
11-08-2016, 04:02 PM
I hope he comes, but if he doesn't I don't think it's going to hurt us. He is a good player, but is he top, top, top echelon? I get he will improve us and that is a good thing, but it won't be by much.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I hope he comes, but if he doesn't I don't think it's going to hurt us. He is a good player, but is he top, top, top echelon? I get he will improve us and that is a good thing, but it won't be by much.

You're spoiling all the fun Fredi

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 04:28 PM

All Australian CHB is pretty top shelf if you ask me. Good in the air and on the ground, crashes packs and goes in hard. He's intimidating and rarely, rarely are these guys ever available. He's like a big Crameri playing in a key position. he's a monster and has his best football in front of him. I'd say he will improve us greatly.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 04:36 PM
There were a bunch of photos on Hurley's twitter account of him and Jenkins in Adelaide together.

Obviously photoshopped by Greg Denhom.

Mofra
11-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Obviously photoshopped by Greg Denhom.
Proof that Boyd's contract is killing the Bulldogs
- Barratt

kruder
11-08-2016, 05:06 PM
What are people prepaid to trade?

Id say it would have to be a first round pic and maybe Hunter for example. I hate the idea of loosing a very good young player. A first round pic and Campbell aint gonna cut the mustard IMO.

G-Mo77
11-08-2016, 05:26 PM
What are people prepaid to trade?

Id say it would have to be a first round pic and maybe Hunter for example. I hate the idea of loosing a very good young player. A first round pic and Campbell aint gonna cut the mustard IMO.

I think a good template is what Saints gave them for Carsile.

Happy Days
11-08-2016, 05:38 PM
All Australian CHB is pretty top shelf if you ask me. Good in the air and on the ground, crashes packs and goes in hard. He's intimidating and rarely, rarely are these guys ever available. He's like a big Crameri playing in a key position. he's a monster and has his best football in front of him. I'd say he will improve us greatly.

Not to mention he's the best field kicking key position player since Chris Grant in his prime.

1eyedog
11-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I think a good template is what Saints gave them for Carsile.

I think our first rounder and a mid-tier player are fair compensation. I'd be looking at a Hrovat type with pick 9-12 and saying eat it.

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 06:26 PM
I think our first rounder and a mid-tier player are fair compensation. I'd be looking at a Hrovat type with pick 9-12 and saying eat it.

I'm still not comfortable with losing a 1st round selection for the 3rd straight year.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm still not comfortable with losing a 1st round selection for the 3rd straight year.

Is that more along talent or the age profile? The other side of the coin is Tom Boyd was a pick 1 recruited in 2014 & Hurley pick 5 potentially recruited in 2016. Collingwood used that argument in recruiting Aish & Treloar over two years worth of picks.

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Is that more along talent or the age profile? The other side of the coin is Tom Boyd was a pick 1 recruited in 2014 & Hurley pick 5 potentially recruited in 2016. Collingwood used that argument in recruiting Aish & Treloar over two years worth of picks.

I've probably taken the thread off track and while I don't mind Hurley the reality of losing first round picks over a 3 year period means that we could pay for it later on.
I'll take it up on the list management thread

Scraggers
11-08-2016, 07:04 PM

What about trading a player and a future first round pick?

Remi Moses
11-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Well I guess we can close this thread .
Robbo reckons He'll stay, as will Hibberd and even Pears ( who's trying to be a fireman )

kruder
11-08-2016, 08:21 PM

Would you regard Daniel and Mclean now first round talent though?

kruder
11-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Robbo reckons He'll stay, as will Hibberd and even Pears ( who's trying to be a fireman )

Isn't it strange that Pears is still on the list? They would have had the opportunity to trade him when he had currency yet they preferred to play him in the VFL? Black at Norf is similar, he has basically zero trade value now.

Doc26
11-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Yep and coming from the mouth of the same 'journalist' who was adamant stating that you can "take it to the bank that Dane Beams would be staying at Collingwood" and yet he was gone by trade period. Pleading for credibility and yet he's just another blind dart chucker hoping that something might stick.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Ah, Robbo... He may often be completely wrong & have advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage, but he is a very gentle person.

Webby
11-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Just thinking about this, surely Hurley would be well within his rights to leave as a free agent. This is due to breach of contract as s result of failure of duty of care.

Anyway, if Hurley was traded, Essendon would get a first round pick for him.
However, if he left as a free agent, surely they'd get a compensation pick?
And if they get a compensation pick, as they'll finish last, that equates to pick 2..

So, if he wants to leave as a free agent, wouldn't Essendon win??
And wouldn't this pose a PR issue for the AFL??

So is this perhaps the reason that the AFL is insisting that clubs trade with Essendon for any players who want out?
Why would Essendon want to scrap to trade Hurley when they could get a bigger return for him by letting him walk?

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Just thinking about this, surely Hurley would be well within his rights to leave as a free agent. This is due to breach of contract as s result of failure of duty of care.

Anyway, if Hurley was traded, Essendon would get a first round pick for him.
However, if he left as a free agent, surely they'd get a compensation pick?
And if they get a compensation pick, as they'll finish last, that equates to pick 2..

So, if he wants to leave as a free agent, wouldn't Essendon win??
And wouldn't this pose a PR issue for the AFL??

So is this perhaps the reason that the AFL is insisting that clubs trade with Essendon for any players who want out?
Why would Essendon want to scrap to trade Hurley when they could get a bigger return for him by letting him walk?

He'd be categorised as a delisted free agent, thus no compensation.

ledge
11-08-2016, 09:22 PM

Interesting Clause. Essendon could argue he wasn't delisted he still had a year to go on his contract but walked. The fact he could use a clause of unsafe workplace means he can leave for free.. Delisted isn't exactly what happened. Maybe they can get compo.

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 09:40 PM
What about trading a player and a future first round pick?

That would just mean we are out of the first round of the draft for 3 out of 4 years. Still far from ideal

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Would you regard Daniel and Mclean now first round talent though?

I don't think so but Essendon would need to.

Greystache
11-08-2016, 09:43 PM
That would just mean we are out of the first round of the draft for 3 out of 4 years. Still far from ideal

In the past 3 years we've had two selections in the top 4. Last year we traded a late first round pick into a second round pick and supposedly got the player we would've taken in the first round anyway.

I don't see any issue.

GVGjr
11-08-2016, 09:46 PM
In the past 3 years we've had two selections in the top 4. Last year we traded a late first round pick into a second round pick and supposedly got the player we would've taken in the first round anyway.

I don't see any issue.

Which player was that? I thought we rated both Dunkley and Collins as first round picks

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 09:57 PM
I don't think so but Essendon would need to.

I think Kruger means Daniel and Maclean are equivalent to first round talent being introduced onto the list thus mitigating not having first rounders the last couple of years.

I'd regard them as bonus's. Maybe Daniel would be a first rounder if they had that draft again.

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Which player was that? I thought we rated both Dunkley and Collins as first round picks

Collins was the player they touted as the one they would have taken with pick 9(was it?) if we hadn't swapped it for picks 22/23 or whatever it was.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Interesting Clause. Essendon could argue he wasn't delisted he still had a year to go on his contract but walked. The fact he could use a clause of unsafe workplace means he can leave for free.. Delisted isn't exactly what happened. Maybe they can get compo.

The AFEL have already ruled on it, when they were trying to look tough on Essendon. Essendon are in an all or nothing situation, hence why who ever he chooses has a little leverage.

Greystache
11-08-2016, 10:01 PM

We said after the draft we had conceded getting Collins when we traded back to the second round.

Bont is only 5 months older than McCartin who was taken in the next draft for what it's worth.

bornadog
11-08-2016, 10:02 PM

What would you offer up for Hurley? or are you saying we shouldn't be making a play for him?

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 10:16 PM
We said after the draft we had conceded getting Collins when we traded back to the second round.

Bont is only 5 months older than McCartin who was taken in the next draft for what it's worth.

Bont was in the bottom age for his draft wasn't he?

bulldogtragic
11-08-2016, 10:28 PM
His age profile and games played is sorely needed too. If Bob, Boyd, Morris & Minson all retire within two years, Hurley would be second at the club for games played behind Liam Picken. Too many failed first round draft picks left a gaping hole.

stefoid
11-08-2016, 11:34 PM

Correct - Dal wanted Dunkley.

1eyedog
12-08-2016, 05:45 AM

Me too but I balance this with the sheer brilliance our recruiting staff have displayed with identifying and selecting such a large pool of young talent. Given 80% of our list is in the 18-23 age bracket it's seriously time we add more experience now, especially when you consider it will very likely be Bob's, Boyd's and Moz's last years next year.

Another opportunity at Hurley type is unlikely to come up and this is the trade we were talking about 4-5 years ago when we were looking at the Dawes' / Gumbleton's of this world.

No more Butcher / Vickery C -grade key player speculation for us please.

GVGjr
12-08-2016, 06:33 AM

So we rated both Collins for pick 13 and had Dunkley in the mix for that pick but then put a bid on Ben Keays which was matched by the Lions. Did other teams really get it so wrong?

Had the Lions not matched the bid for Keays who would we have taken between Dunkley and Collins? It sounds like Collins.

Webby
12-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Good point. So the AFL would not only have the issue of having to let Essendon receive the compo, they'd actually have to be seen to be engineering it with a rule tweak. Or at least an interpretation tweak.... Knowing full well that the media would have a field day with it. That's huge column inches and talk back radio debate for days on end... That's why they'd prefer the trade. If Hurley goes for delisted free agency, a sh1tstorm ensues..!

Twodogs
12-08-2016, 08:13 AM
So we rated both Collins for pick 13 and had Dunkley in the mix for that pick but then put a bid on Ben Keays which was matched by the Lions. Did other teams really get it so wrong?

Had the Lions not matched the bid for Keays who would we have taken between Dunkley and Collins? It sounds like Collins.

Collins I would think. We needed tall defenders more than we needed on ballers. No guarantees that Adams would have been available.

Bulldog4life
12-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Me too but I balance this with the sheer brilliance our recruiting staff have displayed with identifying and selecting such a large pool of young talent. Given 80% of our list is in the 18-23 age bracket it's seriously time we add more experience now, especially when you consider it will very likely be Bob's, Boyd's and Moz's last years next year.

Another opportunity at Hurley type is unlikely to come up and this is the trade we were talking about 4-5 years ago when we were looking at the Dawes' / Gumbleton's of this world.

No more Butcher / Vickery C -grade key player speculation for us please.

Yes you have to look at the total number of players we drafted over thev past couple of years and judge how good they are not just the number ones selections. Dal has picked amazingly well whereas another Club might have not have drafted as well and need their number one draft pick this year. I have no problem using this year's number draft pick for an established gun.

LostDoggy
12-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Yes you have to look at the total number of players we drafted over thev past couple of years and judge how good they are not just the number ones selections. Dal has picked amazingly well whereas another Club might have not have drafted as well and need their number one draft pick this year. I have no problem using this year's number draft pick for an established gun.

I agree with the notion that we need a first round selection this year because we've traded the last 2 is not a fair reflection of what has occurred in the last couple of years.

We used our 2014 first rounder to trade for a teenage #1 rated talent with a year of development in him and used our 2015 first rounder to trade for 2 picks, from which we got who we wanted first round anyway, so even though it's true we haven't used our first round picks the past 2 years it is also true to say that we have still had first round quality kids coming onto our list (and our later round picks have also proven excellent value).

bornadog
12-08-2016, 09:01 AM
According to Slobbo last night, Hurley arrives back in Melbourne today. I wonder if he will announce something soon and put us out of our misery.;)

1eyedog
12-08-2016, 09:17 AM
According to Slobbo last night, Hurley arrives back in Melbourne today. I wonder if he will announce something soon and put us out of our misery.;)

Just in time to sit back on the couch with a froffy and watch his new club systematically dismantle Collingwood :D

LostDoggy
12-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Just in time to sit back on the couch with a froffy and watch his new club systematically dismantle Collingwood :D

He'll enjoy next week even better :)

Remi Moses
12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
I agree with the notion that we need a first round selection this year because we've traded the last 2 is not a fair reflection of what has occurred in the last couple of years.

We used our 2014 first rounder to trade for a teenage #1 rated talent with a year of development in him and used our 2015 first rounder to trade for 2 picks, from which we got who we wanted first round anyway, so even though it's true we haven't used our first round picks the past 2 years it is also true to say that we have still had first round quality kids coming onto our list (and our later round picks have also proven excellent value).

Agree very much with this . We've got 4 early picks from two years, and the recruiting staff clearly thought the talent in the 20's was decent . The draft is as tainted as some of the athletes currently in Rio, to be honest

kruder
12-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I think Kruger means Daniel and Maclean are equivalent to first round talent being introduced onto the list thus mitigating not having first rounders the last couple of years.

I'd regard them as bonus's. Maybe Daniel would be a first rounder if they had that draft again.

Yeah exactly Daniel would be a first rounder if you re-do the draft for mine. Just had a look not a bad draft at all.

boydogs
12-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Hawthorn did something similar amassing Burgoyne, Hale, Lake, Gibson, O'Rourke etc

comrade
12-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Trading and FA may be the only way to beat GWS.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Trading and FA may be the only way to beat GWS.

Yep, Nat Fyffe has said he's looking at all his options including free agency. We can have him too! :D

jeemak
13-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Hawthorn did something similar amassing Burgoyne, Hale, Lake, Gibson, O'Rourke etc

Where'd that get those no good layabout's eh?

bulldogtragic
13-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Put on the perfect game for Hurley. Showing list depth, courage, young guns at work, gusto in the song and a great win over Collingwood on a Friday night and that we get so very clearly better with him as the big defensive general where he makes a big difference/impact. Better enough with him and half a dozen guns out that wins a flag. Sign up Mick, join this ride.

Remi Moses
13-08-2016, 09:26 PM
The media jungle drums are beating with the dogs linked to Cloke .

bulldogtragic
13-08-2016, 09:35 PM

To be expected. It's usually John Butcher about the forward who can't kick straight coming to the Dogs, but I understand this is a more Victorian centric story. Landing Hurley gives us next to no room in the cap for him beyond a draftee wage. Are Collingwood willing to pay $600,000 to facilitate it? Big call. They would want Jong in a straight swap for Cloke & salary. Do we win that trade?

ledge
13-08-2016, 09:45 PM
A one year player for a ten year player ? Wouldn't do it.

chef
13-08-2016, 09:48 PM
You wouldnt need to offer to much to get Cloke. Jong would be overs.

Talk is his final year of contract with the Pies is only 500k and the Pies would be happy to pay at least half of that.

Remi Moses
13-08-2016, 10:16 PM
They'd have to pay half of his 500 large .

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Media, stahp.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 08:17 AM
For Cloke conversation, see the Cloke thread.

ledge
14-08-2016, 09:36 AM
According to Barrett we are after both Hurley and Cloke . Cloke would come extremely cheap . Free steak knives .hurley being the Dyson vacuum cleaner.

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 09:53 AM
According to Barrett we are after both Hurley and Cloke . Cloke would come extremely cheap . Free steak knives .hurley being the Dyson vacuum cleaner.

I'd rather chase Petrie.

I mean, they're both finished, but at least Petrie can kick straight.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2016, 10:13 AM
I'd rather chase Petrie.

I mean, they're both finished, but at least Petrie can kick straight.

For mine it isn't about direct goals but the ability to create a contest. We play a contested style of footy, hammer it in 50 and then fight our way to a goal. Cloke is still quality in a contest.

Up forward, we go with....
- Cloke as big KP forward creating a contest
- Tom Boyd as 2nd ruck/forward
- Crameri and Stringer as the medium types. Crameri will make it easier for everyone
- Dickson as the small forward. His life will be easier with 2 more marking options. McLean there too
- Guys like Bonts and Dahl rotating there

GVGjr
14-08-2016, 10:21 AM
For mine it isn't about direct goals but the ability to create a contest. We play a contested style of footy, hammer it in 50 and then fight our way to a goal. Cloke is still quality in a contest.

- Crameri and Stringer as the medium types. Crameri will make it easier for everyone
- Dickson as the small forward. His life will be easier with 2 more marking options. McLean there too

Tend to agree that if we trade for Cloke then Boyd is the 2nd ruckman in the manner the Swans use Tippet.

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 11:17 AM

All fair points and something I hadn't considered.

ledge
14-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Listening to finey Friday night and he was insistent that the one on one ff was no longer in the game .. Jesse Hogan , patty mc cartin, buddy Franklin, even Nick Riewoldt do it still, we need to do it to get the Max out of Boyd , getting Cloke would take away that second backman Tom has to contend with every week. , just get stringer and Cloke leading in different directions and let tom lead up the middle or stay in the square. That's 3 lead ups and then you have our little guys like Dickson floating underneath. . Make sure our mids lower their eyes.

ledge
14-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Hurley can stay CHB and Murph move to CHF or visa versa

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Sorry guys, I'm losing track of this convo. Is this Hurley thread the thread we are having Cloke discussion in or the actual Cloke thread?

Twodogs
14-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Back to Hurley. He plays at centre half back.

stefoid
14-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Some random talk on the BF thread that Stevens could be going to Essendon.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Some random talk on the BF thread that Stevens could be going to Essendon.

Stevens & picks (say) 12 & 30 - for - Hurley & picks 19, 37 .... Something like that?

Twodogs
14-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Stevens & picks (say) 12 & 30 - for - Hurley & picks 19, 37 .... Something like that?

Check with the AFL. They seem to running Essendon's recruiting now.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Check with the AFL. They seem to running Essendon's recruiting now.

"Kobe Stevens is a gun and he's a required player. We'd be devastated and heart broken to bring him from West Coast, develop him into a gun and see him leave. He's a required player and we hope to retain him independent of any Hurley trade."

azabob
14-08-2016, 04:59 PM
"Kobe Stevens is a gun and he's a required player. We'd be devastated and heart broken to bring him from West Coast, develop him into a gun and see him leave. He's a required player and we hope to retain him independent of any Hurley trade."

What about Koby Stevens?

always right
14-08-2016, 06:01 PM
In form he's a good player....but he's no gun.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 06:05 PM
In form he's a good player....but he's no gun.

That's our statement to Essendon, AFEL & Media.

comrade
14-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Back in town yet?

Bulldog4life
14-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Back in town yet?

I read he was.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Back in town yet?

Yeah. I was going to keep it a secret, but with Peter Gordon sitting this trade out, I had Mick over to my house last night. Happy to say a gentleman's agreement was struck over a beautiful Latina pasta, sticky date pudding & clean skin red. All stops pulled out, just like PG would do.

Remi Moses
14-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I reckon Hurley would prefer a coldie

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 07:26 PM
I reckon Hurley would prefer a coldie

Well, funny you mention it. He wouldn't drink the clean skin red because he didn't know what was in it. I assured him it was a great drop from Mexico via China, and it definitely, probably, possibly, wouldn't make him impotent or diseased, but he still said no and wouldn't even sign a waiver. Once bitten, twice shy. I think it made him reflect on his past. So, then a few beers it was to celebrate him becoming a Bulldog and a taxi home.

Ghost Dog
14-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Suspense is killing me.

1eyedog
14-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Well, funny you mention it. He wouldn't drink the clean skin red because he didn't know what was in it. I assured him it was a great drop from Mexico via China, and it definitely, probably, possibly, wouldn't make him impotent or diseased, but he still said no and wouldn't even sign a waiver. Once bitten, twice shy. I think it made him reflect on his past. So, then a few beers it was to celebrate him becoming a Bulldog and a taxi home.

Michael should stay away from alcohol and taxis.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Bulldogs Hurley is all good and a top notch human with perspective these days. Not the roid raging Essendon Hurley.

Remi Moses
14-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Suspense is killing me.

Let's hope he makes up his mind soon.
The longer it goes I think the better

GVGjr
14-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Let's hope he makes up his mind soon.
The longer it goes I think the better

That's a bit of a contradiction isn't it?

Ozza
14-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Are we still holding an incident that happened when he was 19 years old over him?

jeemak
14-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Yes, until he's officially one of us.

Twodogs
14-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Yeah. I was going to keep it a secret, but with Peter Gordon sitting this trade out, I had Mick over to my house last night. Happy to say a gentleman's agreement was struck over a beautiful Latina pasta, sticky date pudding & clean skin red. All stops pulled out, just like PG would do.

Nice. Not over the top. I hope you warmed the Latina sauce in a saucepan and didn't blast it in the microwave. There's a difference and Hurley seems the sort of bloke who'd appreciate that difference.

Yes, until he's officially one of us.

Or even vaguely one of us.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 08:18 AM
He's vaguely one of us. I photo-shopped a Bulldog jumper on him last night and changed it to my screen saver.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Nice. Not over the top. I hope you warmed the Latina sauce in a saucepan and didn't blast it in the microwave. There's a difference and Hurley seems the sort of bloke who'd appreciate that difference.

Or even vaguely one of us.

He's a big name player, of course a saucepan. I was trying to impress him with the good life like Clinton Casey used to.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 08:39 AM
He's vaguely one of us. I photo-shopped a Bulldog jumper on him last night and changed it to my screen saver.

And it's where on woof? :D

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 09:08 AM
And it's where on woof? :D

I feel a bit dirty changing Murph over for Hurls but there you go.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I feel a bit dirty changing Murph over for Hurls but there you go.

Outstanding, manbun and all. I hope the beard stays though. The blue suits him.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 09:11 AM

Not my best work but my standards on imagy things are generally pretty low.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Outstanding, manbun and all. I hope the beard stays though. The blue suits him.

Love the beard. Actually loving him in our colours. The more I post the better he looks.

jeemak
15-08-2016, 09:19 AM
He's very well suited to our colours.

Man I hope we land him, it would be such a massive win for the club in the face of the on-field adversity and the knockers in the media levelled at us this year.

My week would be well made if he told the Bumbers he is not doing a deal with them and exploring options elsewhere. If he happened to nominate us as his preferred destination I would be ecstatic.

KT31
15-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Our colours do suit him nicely and by the by, If Hurley does come over I'm going to take a smidgen of the credit as my Woof signature was enticing us to recruit him before we got Crammers.:)

Ghost Dog
15-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Post it on bigfooty 1eye just to stir up the Essendon supporters...Great work.

Bulldog4life
15-08-2016, 09:53 AM
He's very well suited to our colours.

Man I hope we land him, it would be such a massive win for the club in the face of the on-field adversity and the knockers in the media levelled at us this year.

My week would be well made if he told the Bumbers he is not doing a deal with them and exploring options elsewhere. If he happened to nominate us as his preferred destination I would be ecstatic.

Especially this week the week before we play the Bummers. What a game next week it would be.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Post it on bigfooty 1eye just to stir up the Essendon supporters...Great work.

I don't have a BF account so feel free :)

Bulldog4life
15-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Our colours do suit him nicely and by the by, If Hurley does come over I'm going to take a smidgen of the credit as my Woof signature was enticing us to recruit him before we got Crammers.:)

I don't know if this Board is big enough for two BT's.:D

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 10:00 AM
I don't know if this Board is big enough for two BT's.:D

It's OK it's big enough. KT is only taking a smidge of credit for Hurley. I take full credit for Boyd!! :D

Remi Moses
15-08-2016, 01:17 PM
That's a bit of a contradiction isn't it?

It is

Remi Moses
15-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Especially this week the week before we play the Bummers. What a game next week it would be.
Everyone wear their Hurley surf brand tops

hujsh
15-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Actually thought it was Stringer

Eastdog
15-08-2016, 02:19 PM

It does look a bit like him.

Bulldog4life
15-08-2016, 05:48 PM
According to channel 10 Hurley didn't turn out with rest of banned Bummers training today. Others missing were Pears, Hibberd and Watson.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 06:06 PM
According to channel 10 Hurley didn't turn out with rest of banned Bummers training today. Others missing were Pears, Hibberd and Watson.

Makes sense;

Pears - Fire fighter
Hibberd - Melbourne
Watson - retiring
Hurley - Touring Bulldog facilities

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Makes sense;

Pears - Fire fighter
Hibberd - Melbourne
Watson - retiring
Hurley - Touring Bulldog facilities

What? What was that? Sorry. I can't hear you over the noise of these bloody jungle drums!

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 06:20 PM
What? What was that? Sorry. I can't hear you over the noise of these bloody jungle drums!

I know its like I'm on an African Safari and I've just walked into a Maasi encampment!

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_jKEsP_vI

Meanwhile at the Whitten Oval.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Channel 9 news doing a tease for the sports segment. "The banned Bombers are back training, but where is Michael Hurley?"

Ghost Dog
15-08-2016, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_jKEsP_vI

Meanwhile at the Whitten Oval.

laughed. very good.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Does that mean Crammers is back training with us?

ledge
15-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Why would Watson train all that time and retire ?

ledge
15-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Nope can't until September sometime.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 07:09 PM

That's the banned players special training group. Hurley not there with them. Must be training elsewhere, with someone else.

Remi Moses
15-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Did Hurley train with the banned group pre O/S trip?

Hotdog60
15-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Looks like Collingwood are now chasing Hurley

The Doctor
15-08-2016, 07:40 PM

you have to ask, what exactly have they got to trade with?

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Everyone is chasing Hurley, all 18 clubs. The strong noise is he wants a premiership and success and not every last cent he can get. That still leaves us in the front seat.

LostDoggy
15-08-2016, 08:03 PM

Thought it was Nathan Brown.:p

Twodogs
15-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Everyone wear their Hurley surf brand tops

Man bun wigs. Think what the whole crowd wearing man bun wigs would look like.

LostDoggy
15-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Man bun wigs. Think what the whole crowd wearing man bun wigs would look like.

Mmmmmmmmm..........
Yeah Nah.:p

Twodogs
15-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Mmmmmmmmm..........
Yeah Nah.:p

Nah. Yeah. It'd look cool

LostDoggy
15-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Nah. Yeah. It'd look cool

The new people's Beard?

bulldogtragic
15-08-2016, 08:37 PM
The new people's Beard?

Yep. Any contract for him must include five years of growing that beard so I can sing ZZ Top songs to his work... "He's got a great left leg, and knows how to use it". To start with.

Mofra
16-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Connors saying he's nominated Collingwood.

https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2016/08/276786_8dae39fcb332d8cf81df9f116a44b024.png

chef
16-08-2016, 03:42 PM
What have they got to trade?

Mofra
16-08-2016, 03:42 PM
What have they got to trade?
Players, given they don't have a first rounder this year.
Witts is a ruck in demand.

Mofra
16-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Actually I may have been stooged :eek:

comrade
16-08-2016, 03:45 PM

https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2016/08/276786_8dae39fcb332d8cf81df9f116a44b024.png

No sign of it on the AFL website. Looks like a dodgy photoshop.

chef
16-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Haha. Did start to wonder when I couldn't click on anything on that page.

comrade
16-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Yep.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Stick to WOOF Mof ;)

Mofra
16-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Stick to WOOF Mof ;)
Wise advise for us all

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 05:22 PM

Do you want me to delete it?

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 05:24 PM

Just so you don't look silly or anything.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Just so you don't look silly or anything.

Too late :D:D

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 05:25 PM

That's interesting.

You have to go back and reclick if you want to reuse the multi quote function.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Too late :D:D

Is it?

Sorry Mof. Looks other posters have already seen it.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Interesting. Bevo at his presser saying he/the club won't elaborate on questions/answers on Hurley out of respect for Michael & Essendon's situation (or similar to this). I take a lot of heart of this comment as he could've just played a straight bat (great player, everyone wants him... Blah, blah), but it seems like we are taking a dignified & very strategic position prior to formal negotiations.

ledge
16-08-2016, 08:17 PM
All makes sense now ..
http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au/sport/afl/opinion-gfp/2016/8/hurley-reportedly-interested-in-pies-move/

Webby
17-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Has anyone considered that, failing a Hurley play, Michael Johnson from Freo could be a good key defender to grab at a reasonable price? He killed us last year. He's 31 and could have a couple of years in him. Has been injured this year - which perhaps means that he's lightly raced. Perhaps Barlow and him could accompany each other across to us?

Worth a thought, perhaps? Could be a win/win trade for all parties... Something that Dodoro is hardly renowned for.. Decent fallback if Hurley didn't materialise.. (Or is Johnson a bit of a murky character?.. Heard a whisper that may be the case..)

Twodogs
17-08-2016, 08:48 PM
I'd be careful recruiting older players from WA clubs. All that time in the air flying from Perth to somewhere every two weeks limits a player's career and brings tge curtain down very quickly.

Webby
17-08-2016, 10:56 PM
I'd be careful recruiting older players from WA clubs. All that time in the air flying from Perth to somewhere every two weeks limits a player's career and brings tge curtain down very quickly.

It's an interesting point. I don't think a single WCE player has ever chalked up 300 games. In fact, I think Pavlich is the only WA club player to have done so.

Nonetheless, I'm more into Johnson for a short term solution. We're in a window in the next two years, whilst Freo certainly are not. They'll want picks and some kids on their list. Johnson will want finals. At the right price, it could be worth a look - if Hurley falls through. I think Johnson would be a savvier option than Cloke..

AndrewP6
17-08-2016, 11:12 PM
It's an interesting point. I don't think a single WCE player has ever chalked up 300 games. In fact, I think Pavlich is the only WA club player to have done so.

Cox played 290, Jakovich 276, Glass 270. For Freo, Pav, then Mundy, McPharlin and Sandilands.

Webby
18-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Cox played 290, Jakovich 276, Glass 270. For Freo, Pav, then Mundy, McPharlin and Sandilands.

I hear that, but we've had five players pass 300 games since both Freo and WCE have been in the comp. versus a combined total of one player between them. Adelaide have had four players pass 300 versus the one between the two WA clubs. It actually wasn't my point, but I have to say, it seems to have some legs.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Rumour Essendon about to announce something major in press conference in a couple of hours. Not sure if Hurley related, maybe Jobe???

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 12:36 PM
I've been checking their Twitter. They must have a five your old social media manager, their last post 'wold love too help' (without the o's as part of the Red Cross campaign......

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 12:56 PM
From their presser:

Worsfold: I sent Hurls a message the other day, but I hope to hear from him and catch up soon. &
From what I hear Hurls is a loyal person. &
Things have changed at the club, other players will let Hurls know about it. &
Now they're back, we expect more clarity on what they're doing.

Doc26
18-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Worsfold's press conference just finished with nothing of any significance announced. In fact, if there is any significance with what he said was that he'd sent Hurls a message but hadn't heard back from him as yet. Also, he's now changed from 'confident' to 'fairly confident' of him staying.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Worsfold's press conference just finished with nothing of any significance announced. In fact, if there is any significance with what he said was that he'd sent Hurls a message but hadn't heard back from him as yet. Also, he's now changed from 'confident' to 'fairly confident' of him staying.

The really big announcement was Hurley not communicating with the Essendon coach or club at all.

He's gone, but to which club.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 01:07 PM

He started as 'very confident', then 'confident' and now as you say 'fairly confident'. What's next?

1eyedog
18-08-2016, 01:15 PM
He started as 'very confident', then 'confident' and now as you say 'fairly confident'. What's next?

'sorta confident' and then 'not confident' hopefully.

If we were really that into him you'd hope that much of the ground work was out of the way prior to him going o/s. I'm hoping the Saints and Pies have only just become interested and are well and truly behind the 8 ball.

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 01:18 PM

"Hopeful"

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 01:20 PM
"Hopeful"

that Hurley doesn't trigger the DFA clause available to him and we at least get something for him!

ledge
18-08-2016, 02:00 PM
So it wasn't a press conference with any substance at all, just a poor me, please stay statement ?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 02:07 PM
So it wasn't a press conference with any substance at all, just a poor me, please stay statement ?

Maybe it was, in a weird way. They got everyone to tune in, and then say Hurley isn't talking to Worsfold. So now 17 clubs know he's going to leave and now they can step up their offer to them & Hurley. Maybe the charade was a strategy to drive up his trade value in a subtle way?

Either way he's got to be leaving Essendon after hearing/reading that, and we've put in the most work and media drums are beating that equals Hurley a dog 2017 and beyond. Interesting times ahead.

1eyedog
18-08-2016, 02:17 PM
It's really, really distracting.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 02:18 PM
If he comes to us, that will mean we have attracted three big names in three years.

1. Crameri - Essendon leading goal kicker
2. Tom Boyd - Number one draft pick in his 2nd year
3. Hurley - All Australian CHB

LostDoggy
18-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Essendon do their press conference every single Thursday at that time. People just jumping at shadows.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 02:23 PM
If he comes to us, that will mean we have attracted three big names in three years.

Shane Biggs is gunna be shitty with you! :D

chef
18-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Would be 4 in 4. Suckling last season.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Suckling too. :D

bornadog
18-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Whoops :D

Would be 4 in 4. Suckling last season.

ok, give you that one, I forgot about him. :D

Mofra
18-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Plus a former Brisbane Lions captain thank you very much

bornadog
18-08-2016, 02:56 PM
click on headline to read more

Worsfold admits time is running out for Hurley to sign (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-18/worsfold-admits-time-is-running-out-for-hurley-to-sign?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Time is running out? Didn't the time limit Essendon imposed on themselves run out yesterday?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Hurley staying at the Bombers.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Signed 5 year deal

ledge
18-08-2016, 03:25 PM
5 years

1eyedog
18-08-2016, 03:27 PM
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarararrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkk!

Mofra
18-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Oh well.

Nothing lost and we keep our picks.

Grantysghost
18-08-2016, 03:32 PM
5 x 800k hard to resist