18-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Well that was a waste of 500 posts...

bornadog
18-08-2016, 04:35 PM
5 x 800k hard to resist

I thought it was 5 years

The Pie Man
18-08-2016, 04:36 PM
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarararrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkk!

Best you get onto changing that avatar

Throughandthrough
18-08-2016, 04:36 PM
OK, so now we all agree that he was rubbish, and would have been a waste of $$ and picks?

Boo Hurley, he's terrible!

chef
18-08-2016, 04:38 PM
That sucks.

LostDoggy
18-08-2016, 04:42 PM
That hurts..

comrade
18-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Let himself blow out over the break, will have lost touch with 12 months out of the game, dodgy wrists, only had 1 good year, not even a top 5 defender in the league anymore.

Nah, I'm still shattered.

always right
18-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Really disappointed. Made the mistake of buying into the confidence of posters on this board. Damn you all to hell.

hujsh
18-08-2016, 04:53 PM
I still don't get why.

800K isn't that much for a guy of his quality. Essendon haven't done right by him. Not looking at success any time soon.

Only makes me wonder about his head.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Caleb Marchbank?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 04:54 PM
How has he gone from not returning Worsfold's calls at 2pm & signed at 4pm?

bornadog
18-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Received email from mate, he got the info through HUN:

Hurley was committed to the dogs, said yes and was going.

The talk is, Zaharakis (who has played with Hurley since the age of 14) heard that Hurley was going to the dogs and has been abusing Hurley for awhile about his lack of loyalty and said that he must stay.

Whether this is true or not, doesn’t really matter any more.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 04:56 PM
What? What? What? ^^^

Remi Moses
Next .

Topdog
Lol if he is that mentally weak I'm glad we don't have him but I don't believe it at all

always right
18-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Hope this doesn't move our focus onto Cloke.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Let himself blow out over the break, will have lost touch with 12 months out of the game, dodgy wrists, only had 1 good year, not even a top 5 defender in the league anymore.

Nah, I'm still shattered.

yeah not looking like he is in top shape:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqHpE4eVMAI5Yei.jpg:large

bornadog
18-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Lol if he is that mentally weak I'm glad we don't have him but I don't believe it at all

Don't under estimate the power of mateship at clubs.

SonofScray
18-08-2016, 05:02 PM
A little surprised, the general consensus seemed that we were up to our necks in it regarding a change of clubs. No doubt there has been some shifty business with the salary cap or a loop hole exploited by EFC in their current predicament that has given them some capacity to compete and pay above what the market was offering.

Not a huge loss for us, but would've been a significant coup to bring him over. Cabbies around Footscray are safe for 5 more years at least.

hujsh
18-08-2016, 05:02 PM
I still don't get why.

800K isn't that much for a guy of his quality. Essendon haven't done right by him. Not looking at success any time soon.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 05:04 PM
I guess there's nothing left to talk about. Really confusing. Really.

comrade
18-08-2016, 05:07 PM
How has he gone from not returning Worsfold's calls at 2pm & signed at 4pm?

Whoosha the epic troll. Made a big song and dance that he was 'fairly' confident, that he hadn't heard from Hurley, was worried about the time delay from overseas etc. All while the deal was already done.

What a flog.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 05:08 PM
A little surprised, the general consensus seemed that we were up to our necks in it regarding a change of clubs. No doubt there has been some shifty business with the salary cap or a loop hole exploited by EFC in their current predicament that has given them some capacity to compete and pay above what the market was offering.

Not a huge loss for us, but would've been a significant coup to bring him over. Cabbies around Footscray are safe for 5 more years at least.

Well we just have to win a few premierships and show him what he is missing out on.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Whoosha the epic troll. Made a big song and dance that he was 'fairly' confident, that he hadn't heard from Hurley, was worried about the time delay from overseas etc. All while the deal was already done.

What a flog.

Made himself to look like the biggest idiot in coaching representing a club

ledge
18-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Positive note , we saved a lot of money and Essendon will be up to their eyeballs having to offer players more than what they are worth to keep them because they need to make up for the wrongs they had done to them.
I have no doubt whatsoever our club knows what they are doing and will get what we want.. We're we actually chasing Hurley ?
Don't forget the media had us all over Patton and it was Boyd we were into.
The media speculates 99% of the time nowadays and the public believe it.

Jeanette54
18-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Disappointed, but maybe that leaves a bit more money in the kitty for Matthew Boyd when he re-signs.

Always look on the bright side of life, I say.

comrade
18-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Positive note , we saved a lot of money and Essendon will be up to their eyeballs having to offer players more than what they are worth to keep them because they need to make up for the wrongs they had done to them.
I have no doubt whatsoever our club knows what they are doing and will get what we want.. We're we actually chasing Hurley ?
Don't forget the media had us all over Patton and it was Boyd we were into.
The media speculates 99% of the time nowadays and the public believe it.

Gut feel is we had our eggs in the Hurley basket while being fed **** by his manager, while he was squeezing Essendon for a better deal.

Essendon pay overs, we miss out on a player, and his manager cleans up.

Good day to be Paul Connors.

All while the AFL sits back and watches their cash cow fit all these re-signings into the so called salary cap, as they're about to hand them the #1 pick.

Good day to be Vince McMahon, I mean, Gil McLachlan.

FrediKanoute
18-08-2016, 05:19 PM
End of the day while he would have been a good addition loyalty prevails. Move on to blokes who want to play for the red white and blue.

comrade
18-08-2016, 05:21 PM
End of the day while he would have been a good addition loyalty prevails. Move on to blokes who want to play for the red white and blue.

Loyalty?

As if Paul Connors gives a fig for loyalty. Hurley and his manager got a huge pay day.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Never liked him anyway.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 05:25 PM
So if we were around the $800,000 mark and PG says we are trading. Now who and how much?

Mofra
18-08-2016, 05:50 PM
So if we were around the $800,000 mark and PG says we are trading. Now who and how much?
Not sure anyone available is worth that much.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Reckon if we had paid Hurley 800 large for 5 years it would have been detrimental to other loyal players of ours. I don't think he is worth that. Here is one supporter who is happy with Hurley's decision

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Not sure anyone available is worth that much.

Two $350,000 - $400,000 types??

Mofra
18-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Two $350,000 - $400,000 types??
Perhaps - McKenzie from WCE and someone else?
Bank it for next year?

LostDoggy
18-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Fyfe.

G-Mo77
18-08-2016, 06:08 PM

As said not sure if anyone is worth it and spreading it over 2 because we can seems wasteful. If we can't land a fish front load a contract or two then cash up for someone else down the track. It's disappointing about Hurley but it's not like we can't function without him. Healthy I think we're right there and another season of experience we get even better.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Perhaps - McKenzie from WCE and someone else?
Bank it for next year?

McKenzie would be a good get. However I feel comfortable with the young players we have currently got that they will continue to blend into a top class back 6

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2016, 06:20 PM
We've dodged a man bun.

Scraggers
18-08-2016, 06:34 PM
I wonder how quickly Danny can change the banner for this Sunday's game ??

Hurley Burley $800k Sherbie ??

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 06:36 PM
We've dodged a man bun.

It's a big man bun as well.

comrade
18-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I wonder how quickly Danny can change the banner for this Sunday's game ??

Hurley Burley $800k Sherbie ??

Footscray cabbies are safe for another 5 years.

GVGjr
18-08-2016, 07:03 PM
I still don't get why.

Look a bit deeper, maybe he understands what the payout might be when he sues the club. His salary might be closer to 1.1M for 5 years.

I did caution a while back that there was more to play out with Hurley and while he would have made a difference I'm not upset that he isn't coming.

ledge
18-08-2016, 07:04 PM
I think it will be Cooney related and let's show Hurley he made the wrong decision and smack them

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Look a bit deeper, maybe he understands what the payout might be when he sues the club. His salary might be closer to 1.1M for 5 years.

I did caution a while back that there was more to play out with Hurley and while he would have made a difference I'm not upset that he isn't coming.

How can anyone earn more than Tom Boyd?? :D

kruder
18-08-2016, 07:16 PM
It all depends what we would have lost in return for judgment for mine. If he was a free agent then it would have been a big miss. I'm happy the club are out there going toe to toe with the big boys its good signs indeed.

azabob
18-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Gut feel is we had our eggs in the Hurley basket while being fed **** by his manager, while he was squeezing Essendon for a better deal.

Essendon pay overs, we miss out on a player, and his manager cleans up.

Good day to be Paul Connors.

All while the AFL sits back and watches their cash cow fit all these re-signings into the so called salary cap, as they're about to hand them the #1 pick.

Good day to be Vince McMahon, I mean, Gil McLachlan.

Not sure Connors is the bad guy. If Hurely wanted out, he would have got him out.

Paul Connors has history of getting players to leave their clubs especially Essendon ones - Crameri, Ryder and Melksham. Also Beams from Collingwood.

However I am on the other side of the fence to you, I am not fussed about missing out on him.

Rocket Science
18-08-2016, 07:31 PM
It would've required a certain kind of selective amnesia to adopt and barrack for someone who's worn those putrid colours for 7 years.

Yes yes, Crameri, blah blah ... apples and oranges I'd proffer, but anyway.

Neeeeext.

Remi Moses
18-08-2016, 08:01 PM
It begs the question if Hurley was so keen to stick with his mates why he didn't sign the initial contract offer a few months back ?
It reeks of a manager wanting to squeeze them, and it's a big issue in o/s sports

The Underdog
18-08-2016, 08:11 PM
It begs the question if Hurley was so keen to stick with his mates why he didn't sign the initial contract offer a few months back ?
It reeks of a manager wanting to squeeze them, and it's a big issue in o/s sports

Isn't the manager's job to get the best deal for his client at the place he wants to be?
I'm disappointed in Hurley's choice and would have liked to see him in our backline but c'est la vie

Remi Moses
18-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Isn't the manager's job to get the best deal for his client at the place he wants to be?
I'm disappointed in Hurley's choice and would have liked to see him in our backline but c'est la vie

Not doubting that , but clubs are used as leverage for a better deal.
I'm sure we do it, and it's used constantly in the world game and other sports

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm a little disappointed but not overly fussed. I think we have a need for players who use the ball well more than a pressing need for a tall defender. I'd like to see us having a ping at Dion Prestia.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Hurley will be 33 in the last year of his contract. A big risk for thr Club.

jeemak
18-08-2016, 08:43 PM
The incentive/fee structure a manager operates within is always going to have a bias towards the highest offer. I can't imagine his advice would have been to leave EFC if they were offering substantially better terms than say us, for instance.

If he wasn't on the hook elsewhere, he was eating off its edge. I'm disappointed he's staying with that crap heap of a footy club, but so be it, he's now just another player playing for a crap heap that will be conquered by us in the coming years.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Hurley will be 33 in the last year of his contract. A big risk for thr Club.

And Buddy will be 48. Seems short term thinking rules the roost.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2016, 08:45 PM
And Buddy will be 48. Seems short term thinking rules the roost.

Possibly

bornadog
18-08-2016, 08:49 PM
I will say I am disappointed he isn't coming to the dogs. We do need a good solid backman in defence who can go toe to toe one on one. I just hope Adams can get on the park and Fletch puts on some weight and strength and can finally compete one out.

Ozza
18-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Amusing thread to review...it's a fickle game.

Would have been nice to keep Hurley - but good luck to him. Not an easy decision for these Essendon players.

josie
18-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Bummer, however does this mean we are more likely to re-sign Big Tom Campbell soon? (There was talk about TC being part of trade deal with Dons for Hurley).

I thought TC was looking promising in games he played and I can see him, Roughy and TBoyd play together, with TBoyd given more time up forward.

whythelongface
18-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Not doubting that , but clubs are used as leverage for a better deal.
I'm sure we do it, and it's used constantly in the world game and other sports

That is just life in general isn't it. You try and get the best deal you can using other organisations as leverage. Don't have a problem with it.

Feel sorry for Hurley that he chose to stay at a club that will not have any success in the next five years of his contract. If he had of chosen us he would leave the game as a three time premiership player. Ah well foresight is a wonderful thing.

Remi Moses
18-08-2016, 09:28 PM
That is just life in general isn't it. You try and get the best deal you can using other organisations as leverage. Don't have a problem with it.

Feel sorry for Hurley that he chose to stay at a club that will not have any success in the next five years of his contract. If he had of chosen us he would leave the game as a three time premiership player. Ah well foresight is a wonderful thing.

I guess it's the modern era we live in . The whole "sticking with my mates" mantra looks a bit silly when they put a contract in place months ago. I guess the Denis Pagan " Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining"( I cleaned that up)comes to mind

ratsmac
18-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hopefully it was a disaster averted.

He's not that good anyhow :p

Twodogs
18-08-2016, 10:42 PM
You know I'm not sure he had what it took to be a bulldog anyway.

Webby
19-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Just reflecting on this and thinking, "Geez, Essendon paid astronomical money just to KEEP a player!"

They paid more to KEEP Hurly than Geelong did to GET the best player in the country - Dangerfield. (Wages, I mean.) When you think about it, Essendon are celebrating, but if Hurley is anything to go by, they're being bent over, paying overs to maintain the same core they've had that wasn't good enough a year ago. Meanwhile, the rest of us move on.

SlimPickens
19-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Just reflecting on this and thinking, "Geez, Essendon paid astronomical money just to KEEP a player!"

They paid more to KEEP Hurly than Geelong did to GET the best player in the country - Dangerfield. (Wages, I mean.) When you think about it, Essendon are celebrating, but if Hurley is anything to go by, they're being bent over, paying overs to maintain the same core they've had that wasn't good enough a year ago. Meanwhile, the rest of us move on.

They certainly are and with zero care on salary cap ramifications.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2016, 09:39 AM

I think we're clutching at straws to try and justify or lessen the blow of probably being left at the altar..
The Bombers list is good. The players have had a huge burden on on their mind the past few seasons, and I think it's very naive to assume this hasn't had a big effect on their ladder position.

I am really miffed that out of this disaster the Bombers created, they are actually going to come out of it in a stronger position. They've retained their most important players and the player ban this year has ensured they will finish last and thus will receive a number 1 pick in both national and pre-season draft.
So not only have they retained their talent, but because of this fiasco, they're now in a prime position to inject (pardon the pun) top level talent to the club...and will I fear, quickly become a force greater than what they would've been prior to their punishment.
Without the bans, they would not have ever been in a position to get number 1 pick. The AFL should've intervened before the start of the season and make an adjudication that Essendon would not be eligible for the 1st pick. And maybe capped their draft position based on last year's ladder position.
What a punishment...

Twodogs
19-08-2016, 09:43 AM
This is just going to get worse for Essendon. If they think things were bad for them then just wait until people find out about the salary cap cheating. They are meant to lay a price because they cheated and that price isn't meant yo be just this year. The price include players who were hard done by leaving.

If the AFL and Essendon think that this is it then they are about to be very badly disappointed. The media will not wear it, supporters of other clubs won't wear it and the government won't wear it. If the AFL executive want to end their days standing over and protecting the rotting carcass of Essendon then they are welcome to do it. Essendon's problems have barely started unless they get the idea through their heads that they are in a world of pain for a few more seasons yet.

They don't get to walk away from this bruise free.

1eyedog
19-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Q: What are the first five words an Essendon coach in a three piece tailored suit hears?
A: Will the defendant please rise.

comrade
19-08-2016, 09:59 AM
This is just going to get worse for Essendon. If they think things were bad for them then just wait until people find out about the salary cap cheating. They are meant to lay a price because they cheated and that price isn't meant yo be just this year. The price include players who were hard done by leaving.

If the AFL and Essendon think that this is it then they are about to be very badly disappointed. The media will not wear it, supporters of other clubs won't wear it and the government won't wear it. If the AFL executive want to end their days standing over and protecting the rotting carcass of Essendon then they are welcome to do it. Essendon's problems have barely started unless they get the idea through their heads that they are in a world of pain for a few more seasons yet.

They don't get to walk away from this bruise free.

Wishful thinking. The AFL will cover it up and the AFL sanctioned media will look the other way, rather than risk biting the hand that feeds them.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2016, 10:00 AM
I think we're clutching at straws to try and justify or lessen the blow of probably being left at the altar..
The Bombers list is good. The players have had a huge burden on on their mind the past few seasons, and I think it's very naive to assume this hasn't had a big effect on their ladder position.

I am really miffed that out of this disaster the Bombers created, they are actually going to come out of it in a stronger position. They've retained their most important players and the player ban this year has ensured they will finish last and thus will receive a number 1 pick in both national and pre-season draft.
So not only have they retained their talent, but because of this fiasco, they're now in a prime position to inject (pardon the pun) top level talent to the club...and will I fear, quickly become a force greater than what they would've been prior to their punishment.
Without the bans, they would not have ever been in a position to get number 1 pick. The AFL should've intervened before the start of the season and make an adjudication that Essendon would not be eligible for the 1st pick. And maybe capped their draft position based on last year's ladder position.
What a punishment...

Might be wrong, but I just don't think the cards will fall that way. We will see, but Melbourne tried ( tanking ) and got the best picks in the country. It wasn't translated into success. Why? They might come out in a stronger position on paper, but wether or not they have had the clean out to ensure the proper leaders are in place remains a huge question.

I don't know why people have a problem with Essendon being in a strong position. We are a better club than them, and look forward to battling them in the future and being a better team for it. I'm confident our direction is better than theirs.
As a Bulldogs fan, I only worry about what we are doing and we can control. It's the only way to support a smaller club. Just try to enjoy each goal we score, each improvement. If there is inherent unfairness in the system, it's right to call it out though.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Wishful thinking. The AFL will cover it up and the AFL sanctioned media will look the other way, rather than risk biting the hand that feeds them.

Couldn't agree more. It needs an expose from a 4Coners type of program who are happy to take on the powers that be, and lots of people annoying talk back radio. I wonder what Brian Waldron thinks about his career being ruined, stained and ended over salary cap cheating while watching others get rewarded for it. The mainstream media will be threatened to have their accreditation cancelled if they go near this corruption story.

1eyedog
19-08-2016, 10:40 AM
It would only take one whistle blower to unsettle the masses. Once the masses get hold of it the journos would have a field day. They know what side their bread is buttered on.

Sedat
19-08-2016, 10:47 AM
This list got them precisely zero finals wins even at their artificially enhanced peak from a few years ago. I'm not sold on them suddenly becoming a finals threat, let alone a top 4 threat, in the next few years. Theoretically, their salary cap will be stretched to breaking point when their talented youngsters are next up for contract.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 10:57 AM
We need to get Barrett on to them.

Twodogs
19-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Maybe a little bit of wishful thinking, but...

The AFL will react to whichever way public opinion leads them to. If people like Patrick Smith can whip up enough baclash to this then Essendon go from teachers pet to The dunce very quickly.

From what I can see Essendon have solved one problem with a whole lot of other problems. That very rarely works. It often looks to have worked at first blush but scratch just a little and it all comes apart at the seams,

hujsh
19-08-2016, 11:51 AM

What a punishment...

One thing in the favour of justice is the AFL's tendency to just do whatever it decides it wants to do. So if there's enough push to do 'something' about Essendon profiting from this whole fiasco then presumably 'something' will be done

ledge
19-08-2016, 12:23 PM
This year their salary cap percentage would have been very low I imagine so they would have banked for this year

bornadog
19-08-2016, 12:25 PM
This year their salary cap percentage would have been very low I imagine so they would have banked for this year

Still paying banned players plus top up. I wonder how the AFL worked that out? Doesn't add up.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Still paying banned players plus top up. I wonder how the AFL worked that out? Doesn't add up.

They will fully ignored it citing extraordinary circumstances. Next year is not extraordinary nor unplanned.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2016, 12:45 PM
I can't seem to find any info on their membership numbers. It was supposed to have gone up at the start of the year.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I can't seem to find any info on their membership numbers. It was supposed to have gone up at the start of the year.

2015 - 60,818

2016 - 57,566

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 12:57 PM
2015 - 60,818

2015 - 57,566

That includes forcibly sending out memberships to thousands and thousands of former members who didn't want one.

Twodogs
19-08-2016, 01:01 PM
That includes forcibly sending out memberships to thousands and thousands of former members who didn't want one.

Really? Do you know how many got memberships they didn't BT?

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Really? Do you know how many got memberships they didn't BT?

Question for Greystache. He mentioned his better half was sent one. I'm assuming there was a heap for those numbers being steady.

azabob
19-08-2016, 01:18 PM
2015 - 60,818

2015 - 57,566

Which one is 2016? I am assuming the top figure?

bornadog
19-08-2016, 01:25 PM
2015 - 60,818

2016 - 57,566

Which one is 2016? I am assuming the top figure?

sorry my mistake - bottom is 2016. They are down.

LostDoggy
19-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hopefully it was a disaster averted.

He's not that good anyhow :p

Pffttt.
Hurley,what a Spud.:p
Dodged a bullitt here.:)

1eyedog
21-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Worst thread eva! What a dick who put this up.

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Worst thread eva! What a dick who put this up.

The moment I work out who it was they're *!*!*!*!ing banned!

bulldogtragic
21-08-2016, 11:53 AM
The moment I work out who it was they're *!*!*!*!ing banned!

I looked into it, it was some poster called 'Twodogs'. Splitter.

1eyedog
21-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Yeah I hear he is on a self-imposed avatar ban for the rest of the year.

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 11:58 AM
I looked into it, it was some poster called 'Twodogs'. Splitter.

That trouble maker again? I've tried banning him before. It caused a crisis of existential proportions.

1eyedog
21-08-2016, 12:00 PM
That trouble maker again? I've tried banning him before. It caused a crisis of existential proportions.

Don't cross the streams Venkman.

ledge
21-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Now Hurley has signed who's left ?

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Don't cross the streams Venkman.

It was only the Internet luckily. Not real life like Ghostbusters.

azabob
21-08-2016, 12:08 PM

The problem with Twodogs is he is a "super moderator" not just a regular run of the mill moderator.

Good Luck with trying to ban him...

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 12:11 PM
The problem with Twodogs is he is a "super moderator" not just a regular run of the mill moderator.

Good Luck with trying to ban him...

I know. He's got a cape and wears his underpants on the outside of his trousers when moderating.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2016, 12:12 PM
I know. He's got a cape and wears his underpants on the outside of his trousers when moderating.

I heard he wears no pants when moderating and especially when talking about Ben Harrison.

1eyedog
21-08-2016, 12:25 PM
I heard he has a pair of Ben Harrison's underpants.

ledge
21-08-2016, 12:26 PM
whats this got to do with Hurley ?

1eyedog
21-08-2016, 12:27 PM

Vikery and Cloke I'd say. If there are any woofers over 192cm get down to training

Twodogs
21-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Hurley's done ledge. Stick a fork in his arse.

bornadog
02-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I attended the Bulldogs CBD Business lunch today and Bevo was one of the speakers. He said Hurley rang him and apologized for not taking up our offer and explained his reasons. We were very close to signing him up.

Mantis
02-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I attended the Bulldogs CBD Business lunch today and Bevo was one of the speakers. He said Hurley rang him and apologized for not taking up our offer and explained his reasons. We were very close to signing him up.

Did he mention what the reasons were?

They can roll out the BS about loyalty, but this was a decision based very much on the power of the folding stuff.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2016, 07:28 PM

Ta BAD. But no prizes for second...

Twodogs
02-09-2016, 07:30 PM

They can roll out the BS about loyalty, but this was a decision based very much on the power of the folding stuff.

Ta BAD. But no prizes for second...

I still think Essendon have just created a bigger problem for themselves. They needed to take more pain than this. People (and the media) will start asking questions soon.

I hope Hurley got a "Whatever, listen I've just got something, ummm, see ya." and dial tone from the other end of the phone from Bevo.

comrade
02-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Yep, easy to apologise and save face by spouting BS about loyalty.

bornadog
02-09-2016, 08:14 PM

Of course the BS was rolled out on loyalty, but we all know it was the all might $$$$$$

FrediKanoute
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Good in the sense that Hurley who is a good footballer is going to be a major drain on the Essendon salary cap - can see them trying to offload him on 3 years time

Twodogs
03-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Because the banned players have to give back their awards and honours and that then does Hurley have to give back his All Australian Jumper and trophy and medal and stuff?

azabob
03-09-2016, 01:57 AM
Because the banned players have to give back their awards and honours and that then does Hurley have to give back his All Australian Jumper and trophy and medal and stuff?

Since when are the banned players giving back their awards?

Topdog
03-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Since when are the banned players giving back their awards?

Yeah I was about to ask. Watson still has his Brownlow.

1eyedog
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Ongoing finals, Premierships vs dirty money. At some stage he will look back on his career with regret.

The Underdog
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Ongoing finals, Premierships vs dirty money. At some stage he will look back on his career with regret.

I'm sure he'll live in an ongoing state of despair

Rocco Jones
03-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Yeah life for him sure is gonna suck earning $800k a year to play footy with his mates. Hopefully he can find a support group that will help him get through life day by day. It will be a struggle not playing for the club that posters on WOOF love, that's for sure, but hopefully with the right support, the young man will one day get out of this dark, black hole.

1eyedog
03-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Jesus I'm not talking about the Black Dog fatal fits of depression here I'm talking a regret when he's 50 that he's not a premiership player, no reunions, no dynasties he just goes down as another Essendon schmo.

Twodogs
03-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Yeah I was about to ask. Watson still has his Brownlow.

The AFL are waiting for him to give it up voluntarily but it's in stasis at the moment because of his appeal. When that is decided and it goes against the players then ASADA will make the AFL comply and take the medal away. If the appeal goes for the players then he keeps it.

Watson won his Brownlow in 2012? What about other awards like AA and the players association? Do they get handed back?

I think Hurley was AA last year wasn't he? I think that falls outside the timeframe that WADA set for the players being performance enhanced.

1eyedog
03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
I can't wait for the day that Watson hands over his Brownlow.

The Underdog
03-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Jesus I'm not talking about the Black Dog fatal fits of depression here I'm talking a regret when he's 50 that he's not a premiership player, no reunions, no dynasties he just goes down as another Essendon schmo.

Essendon are probably as equal a chance as we are to win a premiership before he retires. Chances are neither of us do.

comrade
03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Essendon are probably as equal a chance as we are to win a premiership before he retires. Chances are neither of us do.

Mr Sunshine over here.

The Underdog
03-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Mr Sunshine over here.

Hurley has probably 6-7 years left. There is 18 teams. Weight of numbers suggests neither team will win the premiership in his time.
To bitch about Hurley's decision to stick with the team he started with and infer he'll miss out on glory and regret it because of that decision seems a stretch. We laud Chris Grant who made basically the same decision(albeit under different circumstances). I wonder what his career regrets are.
Perhaps I need to be more partisan on a partisan board.

comrade
03-09-2016, 04:05 PM

Probably.

Topdog
03-09-2016, 05:18 PM

As opposed to 50, still not a premiership player, no dynasties, even less reunions because he walked out on a club.

comrade
03-09-2016, 05:20 PM
As opposed to 50, still not a premiership player, no dynasties, even less reunions because he walked out on a club.

Yep, now he can reminisce with his old mates about that time the club systematically jabbed them with different drugs, which led to a significant chunk of their career being ruined and how it led to mega payouts but ultimately no success. Those were good times.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Jeepers, I know a player not accepting a deal from us doesn't make him that lovable but really guys? We REALLY think this guy is that bad a bloke/made that bad a decision to stick with his club? I know he is getting $$$, but I am not a massive admirer of a player jumping onto a contender bandwagon (neither am I a knocker of them).

I know there's bias but 'woweeeee!' (That dickhead, every time he commentates).

comrade
03-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Jeepers, I know a player not accepting a deal from us doesn't make him that lovable but really guys? We REALLY think this guy is that bad a bloke/made that bad a decision to stick with his club? I know he is getting $$$, but I am not a massive admirer of a player jumping onto a contender bandwagon (neither am I a knocker of them).

I know there's bias but 'woweeeee!' (That dickhead, every time he commentates).

His manager (and Hurley by extension) strung us along to leverage a big deal out of Essendon. Likely he was never moving and everything was just a ploy to get big $$$$ out of his own team. While doing so, we have tied up resources in pursuing a wild goose chase that may have put us out of the race for other players as it's been reported in the media we've left our run too late to secure Marchbank. Some may say good on him, his manager did his job. I say he and his manager are flogs and Hurley deserves to end his career with no success at that festering pit of cheating scum.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2016, 05:59 PM
His manager (and Hurley by extension) strung us along to leverage a big deal out of Essendon. Likely he was never moving and everything was just a ploy to get big $$$$ out of his own team. While doing so, we have tied up resources in pursuing a wild goose chase that may have put us out of the race for other players as it's been reported in the media we've left our run too late to secure Marchbank. Some may say good on him, his manager did his job. I say he and his manager are flogs and Hurley deserves to end his career with no success at that festering pit of cheating scum.

Look I hope Hurley breaks all his bones (I mean that in the nicest way possible) but can declare a lot of bias in that call. I don't think what he did was that bad.

Remi Moses
03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
It was interesting that player managers spoken to all throught he was going to stay .
Connors used clubs to garner a better deal out of Essendon, and he's just doing his job .
But the whole loyality card doesn't stack up when he didn't agree when the initial contract was offered a month or so before he signed

1eyedog
03-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Hurley has probably 6-7 years left. There is 18 teams. Weight of numbers suggests neither team will win the premiership in his time.
To bitch about Hurley's decision to stick with the team he started with and infer he'll miss out on glory and regret it because of that decision seems a stretch. We laud Chris Grant who made basically the same decision(albeit under different circumstances). I wonder what his career regrets are.

No not at all - by all means fire away. I'm generally stuck in fantasy worlds every waking hour my son is awake, it's not a stretch to think that I'm being overly protective of what he did to us any more than it is perfectly reasonable to make the decision he did. If the Bulldogs are rejected I'm rejected, I've just been through too much with this club over so long. A player's rejection of our club is a personal rejection, I'm embedded and I'm 1eyedog, sometimes I do live up to my alias.

Contrary to how you feel on the subject I feel we are on the cusp of something really special and I think every player, coach, administrative staff members [and most supporters] feel the same.

Twodogs
03-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Look I hope Hurley breaks all his bones (I mean that in the nicest way possible) but can declare a lot of bias in that call. I don't think what he did was that bad.

I undesrstand. You're the nicest person possible.

If I were to have all my bones broken I'd want it to be by you.

comrade
03-09-2016, 09:00 PM
It was interesting that player managers spoken to all throught he was going to stay .
Connors used clubs to garner a better deal out of Essendon, and he's just doing his job .
But the whole loyality card doesn't stack up when he didn't agree when the initial contract was offered a month or so before he signed

That's the thing. If his loved his mates and club so much, why not sign back with Heppell rather than strong it out for so long.

soupman
05-09-2016, 10:45 AM
That's the thing. If his loved his mates and club so much, why not sign back with Heppell rather than strong it out for so long.

Maybe he was genuinely considering moving, or was open to being convinced. It's possible he loves Essendon, and would prefer to stay, but wanted to seriously consider all alternatives. I'm sure he had heaps of people that he cares about (friends, family, partner, manager, teammates, coaches etc) telling him what he should and shouldn't be doing and fair enough he took time on one of the biggest decisions he will ever make.

Also maybe after a couple of years of living in the weird bubble that was the Essendon scandal he wanted to get away from it for a while and not have to think about it until his holidays were over.

I'm not a big Hurley fan but I'm not offended that he seemed interested in us to the point that he was close to coming over, or the fact he took his time making a very serious decision. Negotiating your future is much more complicated than if they're loyal they'll sign early and if they leave it to the end of the year they have to leave. I'm surprised so many other players like Heppell didn't take more time and really get away from it all before deciding where their future lay.

1eyedog
05-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Maybe he was genuinely considering moving, or was open to being convinced. It's possible he loves Essendon, and would prefer to stay, but wanted to seriously consider all alternatives. I'm sure he had heaps of people that he cares about (friends, family, partner, manager, teammates, coaches etc) telling him what he should and shouldn't be doing and fair enough he took time on one of the biggest decisions he will ever make.

Also maybe after a couple of years of living in the weird bubble that was the Essendon scandal he wanted to get away from it for a while and not have to think about it until his holidays were over.

I'm not a big Hurley fan but I'm not offended that he seemed interested in us to the point that he was close to coming over, or the fact he took his time making a very serious decision. Negotiating your future is much more complicated than if they're loyal they'll sign early and if they leave it to the end of the year they have to leave. I'm surprised so many other players like Heppell didn't take more time and really get away from it all before deciding where their future lay.

Great post although I must say that I've done shit jobs for good pay too.

I heard he was over the place and wanted out, hence the negotiations with us, then the Bombers upped their offer by 400k and the rest is history.

comrade
05-09-2016, 11:22 AM

He took his time so his manager could string us along to leverage a bigger deal out of Essendon.

Funny that his loyalty nerve tingled at the same moment they upped their offer. But I'm sure it was just a coincidence and it was the love of his teammates that got him over the line rather than the dollars.

Topdog
05-09-2016, 02:29 PM

If that is true that is very poor by us. You have to manage this and have back up options firmly in place.

Topdog
08-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Apparently had a good interview on the Footy Show last night.

Did anyone watch it?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Apparently had a good interview on the Footy Show last night.

Did anyone watch it?

Yep.

He was fairly open and honest, aside from disclosing the huge amount of $$ that Essendon threw at him to stay.

Spoke about only going back to Essendon for his mates, the toll it had taken on him and others, his mixed emotions about leaving/staying, obvious anger at Hird/Dank/the club etc.

To be honest, you sit back after watching the interview and think 'despite the hefty pay check, what an idiot for staying'.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 06:07 PM
I wonder if those rumours that we had an informal understanding with Hurley are true. Because we are hearing rumours that half way through the year Adams said he was homesick, and Hamling had a basic offer if at all. When Marchbank said he wanted out, we were not in the chasing pack.

Then Hurley re-signs at Essendon. We missed Marchbank. On struggle street to keep Hanling. Adams is gone this year or next. We haven't been linked to any KPD free agents and next year could be reliant on Roberts as our number one defender, Cordy and Morris with Collins.

I can't quite work out how we are looking at this scenario, other than Hurley was done and dusted and we've been shit on.

comrade
14-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Correct.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 07:31 PM
I wonder if those rumours that we had an informal understanding with Hurley are true. Because we are hearing rumours that half way through the year Adams said he was homesick, and Hamling had a basic offer if at all. When Marchbank said he wanted out, we were not in the chasing pack.

Then Hurley re-signs at Essendon. We missed Marchbank. On struggle street to keep Hanling. Adams is gone this year or next. We haven't been linked to any KPD free agents and next year could be reliant on Roberts as our number one defender, Cordy and Morris with Collins.

I can't quite work out how we are looking at this scenario, other than Hurley was done and dusted and we've been shit on.

Good call. In hindsight it may be better that Adams plays out his contract and we buy ourselves an additional year to find his replacement.

Happy Days
14-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Good call. In hindsight it may be better that Adams plays out his contract and we buy ourselves an additional year to find his replacement.

Yeah I think so. 23 to 24 is a big year in realising that you and everyone you know kind of sucks too, so I'd rather take chance he changes his mind than ship him off.