PDA

View Full Version : Three things I have learned-Round 15 v Swans

Twodogs
01-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Elect to tell us three things you have learned this afternoon.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to find 3 things to talk about :)

SlimPickens
02-07-2016, 08:16 PM
JJ is our most important player.

This group is special

Sydney is our bitch.

AndrewP6
02-07-2016, 08:18 PM
I should never gamble. I had us gone with 2 minutes left.
JJ and Smithy are massive for us.
There'll be at least one result I'm happy about tonight.

Throughandthrough
02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
1 Happy
2 tried to post about the win on facebook but cant spell JJ's name properly
3 Caleb Daniel did very well. Thats two close matches his coolness has won us this year.

EasternWest
02-07-2016, 08:20 PM
1 Happy
3 Caleb Daniel did very well. Thats two close matches his coolness has won us this year.

You just did.

1eyedog
02-07-2016, 08:21 PM
1. Never
2. Give
3. Up

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 08:21 PM
1 Happy

Are these really things you've learned?

F'scary
02-07-2016, 08:23 PM
1. Game against Geelong was an aberration.
2. MMM broadcast team surprised me. Packed with ex Swans players, they were very impartial.
3. Background noise of Sydney supporters in the radio broadcast is comedy gold.

bulldogtragic
1. This team obviously didn't like the Hawthorn result. Winning every tight one since. And we are loving it.
2. Stevens, Dahl, McLean & Tom Boyd to come back and depth like Campbell and others who've played this year. My dire outlook two weeks ago is a little brighter.
3. I was not sure a home & away win would beat Sydney at the SCG last year. I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!

AndrewP6

Starts with J, ends with J.

Twodogs
02-07-2016, 08:28 PM
1. I always thought we'd win a tight one.
2. JJ is a seriously good player. I mean bordering on elite.
3. Football is more important to me than politics.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2016, 08:33 PM
1. Convinced 100% now that Boydy and Morris should both go on again next year

2. Bevo you are a genius playing JJ after missing so many weeks

3. You have "still got it" Clay. Still a gun.

ledge
02-07-2016, 08:37 PM
1 Clay Smith is coming and really happy he got through it I was so anxious I really want him in this team.
2 tony Liberatore is so cool at kicking goals
3 Our backline started to get it together again after the second quarter.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 08:37 PM
2. MMM broadcast team surprised me. Packed with ex Swans players, they were very impartial.

Point three, I noticed the same thing in the background of the Foxtel coverage (I had the cans on so could hear really clearly). Weird, aren't they!

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 08:39 PM
1 - I'm genuinely surprised at how this team never gives up in tight contests this season. Perhaps this is the best win of the season.
2 - Picking Johannisen was risky but obviously the reward was massive. I didn't have him in calculations to kick the winning goal
3 - Matthew Boyd keeps answering the challenge. He's gone up a level in my estimations of him.

westbulldog
02-07-2016, 08:47 PM
1. Sydney can hit Dale Morris head high (it's play on) or grab him around the neck (a free is awarded to Franklin) .......seriously this home town umpiring is lamentable.
2. Liam Picken is becoming elite.
3. We have belief...bigtime.

jeemak
02-07-2016, 08:53 PM
1. The difference between when we put pressure on, versus when we don't clearly changes the complexion of the viewing experience. When we don't we fumble, make skill errors and look lacklustre. When we do the team in every aspect of the game goes up a notch. Sure, there are some errors but through churn we create more opportunities and gain ascendancy.

2. This season will not have a ceiling on it if we win enough games to earn either top four or a home final in week one. When we put in a good performance against Geelong and Norf we'll be up to our arm pits in it.

3. Our quality is good enough to carry some players against a good side. Dickson, Suckling, Redpath and various others throughout the game struggled to contribute evenly but we still found a way to win. That tells me we're progressing as a group really well.

westdog54
02-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Elect to tell us three things you have learned this afternoon.

Did you just?

LostDoggy
02-07-2016, 09:00 PM

I should've listened to MMM then. Kane Cornes on 3AW shat me right off. Every free we got was a soft mistake. Voice reached a crescendo with every Swans possession. Maybe Minson's inclusion got to him.

Things I learned:

1. When you're only listening on the radio, you need to tell your in-laws you're listening to the footy so they don't think you're a murderous psychopath who's shacked up with their daughter and about to blow his fuse.
2. Listening on the radio sucks.
3. Tight games and the Bulldogs. The tide, she is turning my lads!

westdog54
02-07-2016, 09:06 PM
1. This season is getting ridiculous for its unpredictability.

2. Any team is gettable when we're on our game.

3. JJ is still nowhere near his ceiling.

Hotdog60
02-07-2016, 09:15 PM
1 According to the fox commentary team the whole Sydney side are going to be rising stars.

2 Congratulations Clay Smith his presence added to the team and he will only get better.

3 Will wasn't that bad, yes not that mobile but he can hold his ground and get his hand to the ball. I think he just needs to sync with our mids.

F'scary
02-07-2016, 09:27 PM
I should've listened to MMM then. Kane Cornes on 3AW shat me right off. Every free we got was a soft mistake. Voice reached a crescendo with every Swans possession. Maybe Minson's inclusion got to him.

that's why I gave MMM a go. Just desperate to find a broadcast where we are called on equal terms. Got lucky today.

SonofScray
02-07-2016, 09:34 PM
1. You will need to severe the head from Dale Morris' body before any risk of being reported, or giving away a free is realised. The head is sacrosanct everywhere except Footscray.

2. We are becoming a team that hold's fast in huge pressure moments.

3. We have a pretty good plan A, B and C

The bulldog tragician
02-07-2016, 09:42 PM
1. These kids are the ones that can rewrite our history of failure in big games.
2. THat we got to 9-4 with the personnel we've had out is an even bigger achievement than we realised.
3. My ability to get survive a close grand final is in extreme doubt after my efforts today. But I think it's not too long until we find out.

bulldogtragic
02-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Imagine the Hawthorn game not being lost in the last minute. We'd be sitting a top of the ladder, not them. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to this log jam we are in with 4 other clubs.

whythelongface
03-07-2016, 08:01 AM
1. Even amongst interstate supporters we are once again a team that is respected and good to watch. This is reflected in crowd numbers at games such as the SCG - 2011 19K; 2012 13K; 2015 25K; 2016K 33K.
2. Clay Smith is a massive in for our team and you can just see the love amongst the playing group for him.
3. Redpath has probably been a bit down the last couple of weeks. I think he will be more effective once Toyd is back in the team.

EasternWest
03-07-2016, 09:55 AM
1. Roughead is one of our most improved players. His ability to take a contested mark around the ground is such an asset.

2. I've always been a fan of Matthew Boyd for his intensity and professionalism, but since moving to the backline he's been incredible . He's such a cool head under pressure, has been an absolute revelation.

3. I love Dale Morris. I didn't just learn that, but it bears repeating.

bornadog
03-07-2016, 11:57 AM
1. I learnt to trust the MC for picking players, even under done.

2. I had forgotten how hard Clay goes for the ball, I thought he was terrific.

3. Umpiring hasn't improved with 4 of them on the field.

1eyedog
03-07-2016, 12:06 PM
1. We have the wood over the Swans now which will be important come September. They'll fear us on a Melbourne deck.
2. Fox footy commentators are schizophrenic - which is fine but I can't listen to the drivel.
3. There is a serious rivalry building between the clubs which is great to see - we need rivalries.

F'scary
03-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Point three, I noticed the same thing in the background of the Foxtel coverage (I had the cans on so could hear really clearly). Weird, aren't they!

They have clackers so they don't hurt their hands clapping!!!

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2016, 02:25 PM
1. The Bulldogs have earned very serious respect with that game. It was a classic test of character and skill and 'maturity' is now a deserved term for our young side.
2. The richness of talent in the side is weaving a tapestry of Bayeux dimensions.
3. We are riding the possible Melbourne Cup winner and are down the back straight, one out with only four in front of us and heaps of power left.

westdog54
03-07-2016, 11:36 PM
From the 'Six Things We Learned' article on the AFL website:

1. Caleb Daniel's footy IQ might be the best in the League.
The pint-sized Bulldog is quickly building a reputation as an elite footy brain under pressure, and his composure in the dying moments of his side's thrilling four-point win over the Sydney Swans has only enhanced that standing. Daniel gathered a loose ball in heavy traffic just outside the Dogs' forward 50 and with the clock ticking down, refused to blaze away and give up his team's only chance at winning, which was keeping possession of the ball. The 19-year-old rarely makes bad decisions and managed to find himself some room where there was none, and chip a brilliant pass across his body to find Marcus Bontempelli all alone. History will show that 'The Bont' ultimately gave off his chance at glory to Jason Johannisen who kicked the Dogs' to a memorable win, but if it wasn't for the vision and smarts of Daniel, the Bulldogs would be the ones nursing broken hearts, not the Swans. Still staggering this bloke isn't getting more love in the NAB AFL Rising Star conversation.

ratsmac
04-07-2016, 12:12 AM
1. I learned that I forgot how much of a bull Clay Smith is. He stands up in packs and walks out with the ball.

2. I learned that JJ doesn't need to play at VFL level after a 10 week injury. What a super player.

3. I learned that home or away doesn't matter. If we are on, we can win. Great signs for this great club.

Twodogs
04-07-2016, 01:15 AM
1. The Bulldogs have earned very serious respect with that game. It was a classic test of character and skill and 'maturity' is now a deserved term for our young side.
2. The richness of talent in the side is weaving a tapestry of Bayeux dimensions.
3. We are riding the possible Melbourne Cup winner and are down the back straight, one out with only four in front of us and heaps of power left.

It's really an embroidery but that illustrates your point even better.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2016, 03:02 AM
It's really an embroidery but that illustrates your point even better.

Yep it's a work of art that had a historical significance that came from weaving its elements.
Their is a weaving of talents going on at the Bulldogs that has potentially an even greater significance for us as life long Bulldog supporters.

Twodogs
04-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Yep it's a work of art that had a historical significance that came from weaving its elements.
Their is a weaving of talents going on at the Bulldogs that has potentially an even greater significance for us as life long Bulldog supporters.

And not a Bishop Odo in sight!

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Danny McGinlay?

Murphy'sLore
04-07-2016, 11:45 AM

See, this is why I love WOOF. Not your average footy forum!

Twodogs
04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
William the bastard is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Mantis
04-07-2016, 02:31 PM

As is derailing threads it seems.. Anyways.

1/ We need to get the ball into the hands of our good users/ decision makers late in games. It's the difference between winning and losing close games

2/ Libba's ability to affect the scoreboard has seriously improved since those best be forgotten years.

3/ IQ is great.. I was able to pause & start the last qtr numerous times to ensure I didn't miss a minute.. (The wife went out at 3/4 time leaving me in charge of the 2 little ones).. I watched the end about 15min after actual finish time, but resisted the temptation to check the scores... It nearly killed me, but was well worth it.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2016, 03:30 PM
1. This group recognises but does not care too much about our history. They are firmly focused on success now and in the future.
It's so refreshing.

2. Lachie Hunter does get a lot of the ball, and I was happy with his game. But he does tend to bomb the ball a fair bit. If he can just add a little poise to his game, he will be a complete footballer. Was an important player in defence too.

3. I never expected Clay to play 88% game time.

4. ( if I may ) With some wins it's sort of hard to post anything about it. It's so emotional you just want to bask in it.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Things I learned:

1. When you're only listening on the radio, you need to tell your in-laws you're listening to the footy so they don't think you're a murderous psychopath who's shacked up with their daughter and about to blow his fuse.
2. Listening on the radio sucks.
3. Tight games and the Bulldogs. The tide, she is turning my lads!

Well, there was one free on Bont that we got. I won't complain but I had no idea what it was for. Neither did the commentary team.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2016, 04:19 PM

"As is derailing a thread it seems" - Mantis (my deceased brother, ex WOOFER had a restaurant in Sydney called 'Manta', the female form of Mantis)
Please forgive this digression Mantis and everyone. I just have to say:
Twodogs - Prince Imperial agent saboteur and provocateur. We should send you to the oppositions training now that the season is getting pointy. They will be none the wiser whereas we will be all the wiser.

always right
04-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Well, there was one free on Bont that we got. I won't complain but I had no idea what it was for. Neither did the commentary team.
He got a slight whack on the nose......bit hard on the swans player.....how could he miss?

Mofra
04-07-2016, 07:10 PM
He got a slight whack on the nose......bit hard on the swans player.....how could he miss?
Danny Del Re likes this...

1. Macrae has no right foot but makes up for it with sheer workrate. He's gone from side-stepping potential star to gut-running workhorse.

2. Getting between Clay Smith and the ball is about as smart as sleeping on railway tracks. Beast.

3. In Libba's best year previously he kicked - what - 3 goals? Bevo's recognised his elite left boot and it was the difference between winning and losing.

josie
04-07-2016, 07:35 PM
1. Roughead is one of our most improved players. His ability to take a contested mark around the ground is such an asset.

2. I've always been a fan of Matthew Boyd for his intensity and professionalism, but since moving to the backline he's been incredible . He's such a cool head under pressure, has been an absolute revelation.

3. I love Dale Morris. I didn't just learn that, but it bears repeating.

Hear, hear all the above points !!

Roughy was amazing and helped so much with some key intercept marks and taps to advantage. I have been a bit critical of him in the past but boy oh boy is he coming of age. So, so very important we have mobile talls who can take marks around the ground.

My heart was in my mouth when he and Big Will kicked for goals. Wonderful they both converted majors.

Hopefully the goal kicking yips are starting to disappear. What a joy to win a game where we made the most of our scoring opportunities (can only remember Dicko missing a get table goal).

josie
04-07-2016, 07:44 PM

Rolled gold reparte. Gotta love WOOF.

P.S. Stringer mark in goal square was clearly push in back to Swans player. I thought both sides received a few frees that were not there (Buddy head lock on Morris an absolute shocker) and missed a few. Not sure overall it favoured either side however have not seen replay.

josie
04-07-2016, 08:01 PM
1. Clay, Libba and Dahl will form the nucleus of the best, toughest inside midfielders of any team.

2. I think JJ is elite. (Joining Bonti, Stringer, Wood, Libba, Murphy, and arguably Dahl and Morris and MBoyd)

3. Roughy is a very important player for us.

4. Coz when you win like our team did 4 is the new 3....Caleb's composure and value to this side is inversely proportional to his height.

jeemak
04-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Rolled gold reparte. Gotta love WOOF.

P.S. Stringer mark in goal square was clearly push in back to Swans player. I thought both sides received a few frees that were not there (Buddy head lock on Morris an absolute shocker) and missed a few. Not sure overall it favoured either side however have not seen replay.

The Stringer one was definitely there, and he should have actually used his body to shepherd it through.

As in Bont's case, nose jokes aside, as soon as the Swans defender turned and made very slight front on contact it was a free. It's just that we rarely get them that easy! Lucky it was Bont, and not Tom Boyd!

bornadog
04-07-2016, 11:36 PM
1. Clay, Libba and Dahl will form the nucleus of the best, toughest inside midfielders of any team.

You can add Wally and Stevens into that lot and Jong is right up there as well

merantau
05-07-2016, 01:38 PM
You can add Wally and Stevens into that lot and Jong is right up there as well

Agree. All of those blokes are goers. I thought Jong was very good against Sydney. He was in the thick of it, won ten contested possessions and, when the chance came to goal, he nailed it. He doesn't get the ball on the outside at all, but, if and when he does, I see him as being a real run and bounce type as he has pace to burn.

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
1.We have missed Clay's Mayhem.

2.Caleb might just win the Rising Star.

3.Four Umpires are worse then Three.